272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 403 of 576.
#20100 3 years ago

I cant provide the link but read this morning that the governor of Utah has mandated masks be worn statewide.

#20101 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

This is your brain.
This is your brain on covid.
[quoted image]

Looks like a ying yang symbol

#20102 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I cant provide the link but read this morning that the governor of Utah has mandated masks be worn statewide.

https://kutv.com/news/local/utahns-need-to-wear-their-masks-utah-medical-association-supports-new-covid-19-mandates

#20103 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Literally insane the super spreader activity over the weekend. With thousands packing major city streets coast to coast and around the world with no social distancing and many going dicknose or no masks at all. A dark winter indeed.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I see VERY few maskless faces or nose-maskers here in this photo I took in Times Square on Saturday. Thousands of people and almost all of them are wearing masks, and doing it properly.

Obviously the virus doesn't care if you're out rallying for Trump or celebrating for Biden. From the pictures you don't see a huge difference in crowd density. And lots of Trump fans rode buses to and from rallies, but then many of the Times Square celebrants probably rode the subway to get there. So the only thing that would seem to set these apart is the percentage of people wearing masks -- based on the pictures there's really no argument that proper mask wearing was way higher at one of these events than the others. But I don't think anyone knows for sure how much you mitigate the risk of packing people into relatively close quarters by having most people masked up.

Are people hypocritical about labeling some political gatherings a health hazard and turning a blind eye to others when they agree with the cause? Sure thing, people are hypocritical by nature and that's not limited to any one political party. But that doesn't change the fact that if you chose to attend an event where people will be rubbing shoulders, all the science says you're better off if most of the crowd is wearing a mask.

#20104 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Huh, we've had one since June in my state and I thought we were late to the safety game. Better now than never since in most states there are more cases and a higher infection rate than ever before.

#20105 3 years ago

Texas now is the official winner in the contest for the most virus cases, beating out California (and that's with half the number of tests of California). This is the list of states sorted by the ones with the highest infection rates in America as of today:

Infection rates 11 9 2020 (resized).pngInfection rates 11 9 2020 (resized).png
#20106 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Texas now is the official winner in the contest for the most virus cases, beating out California (and that's with half the number of tests of California). This is the list of states sorted by the ones with the highest infection rates in America as of today:[quoted image]

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

(Also the south, but they don’t fit the lyrics. Maybe I should have gone with “I knew it! I’m surrounded by covid!”)

#20107 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Texas now is the official winner in the contest for the most virus cases, beating out California (and that's with half the number of tests of California). This is the list of states sorted by the ones with the highest infection rates in America as of today:[quoted image]

Come on America, let’s get it together.

We put a fucking man on the moon!!!

We invented rock n roll. And the hot dog.

We can do this.

#20108 3 years ago

I haven’t posted in a while. I want to put to rest the issues whodey. Terry loved to get people fired up. Terry was very scared of covid. He almost got into a fight at work. One a fellow coworker kept getting into his face with no mask on. Terry kept telling not to do it but this guy did. Finally Terry blew up on him and said “If I get this virus cause of you and Debbie gets it. I personal find you and beat the dog shit out of you!” I assume his coworker didn’t do it anymore.
Terry didn’t die of covid. If you believe other wise... you are a moron period! I personally believe working the swing shift did it. That’s why he was going to retire. He could not get a good sleep pattern. He had app on his phone just counting down till he could retire.
Anyways.. try and stay as safe as possible. Others are counting on you!

#20109 3 years ago

El Paso TX is getting hammered and has ordered 4 more morgue truck trailers to add to the 6 it already has.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/us/el-paso-covid-mobile-morgues/index.html

The “We are rounding the corner” is looking more like we are rounding the bend with a huge waterfall up ahead.

Ben Carson, the housing guy and some campaign guy have also tested positive.

#20110 3 years ago

I'm getting tired of laying back, hanging around. I want to catch that train and be Disneyland bound...

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
#20111 3 years ago

United Airlines to resume serving alcohol and food on flights, WTF?
Giving people an excuse to remove masks on a plane is absurd.

#20112 3 years ago

Fun fact of the day. Average life expectancy in USA is 82. Average age of corona death us 85. Very odd fact indeed.

#20113 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm getting tired of laying back, hanging around. I want to catch that train and be Disneyland bound...
[quoted image]

images.jpgimages.jpg
#20114 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

an event where people will be rubbing shoulders, all the science says you're way better off if most of the crowd is wearing a mask.

Uh, no. Too many dicknoses and other clueless people half ass wearing them that science is yet to take into account for. Better off not attending such an event. This problem would have never presented itself the way it did if people had shown common courtesy and given every one a little space to begin with instead of the pushing and shoving and breathing down each others necks. And actually staying home when sick.

I believe out in public during this or any other pandemic, stay six feet away from me like I do you or die! Unless it is totally unavoidable like purchasing food or the other necessities of life.

#20115 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

I wouldn't feel particularly unsafe right going to an amusement park but I couldn't stand wearing a mask for 5-10 hours while doing it. I love Hershey Park but clearly it's not in the cards for a while.

#20116 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

Fun fact of the day. Average life expectancy in USA is 82. Average age of corona death us 85. Very odd fact indeed.

An average age of 85 for COVID death seems a little high to me? Do you have a link to a source for that? Just curious.

#20117 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

You offer the mean ( average ) which is 1/3 of the story. What is the median and what is the mode, please?

#20118 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

So you're telling me if I wrap this life thing up under deadline, I've got nothing to fear from Covid? What a relief!

#20119 3 years ago

Besides just telling everybody to wear masks, our new leader could send a real strong message by telling the American people that any of these large gatherings, be it a protest or a celebration, are dangerous, and potentially all of them super spreader events.

#20120 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Terry didn’t die of covid. If you believe other wise... you are a moron period!

Why is it so important to you that he not have died from covid? Only the folks who have seen a death certificate (with cause) are going to truly know anyway. I doubt his girlfriend can even get one. She wouldn't be able to in my state. I recently lost a family member. Friends and non-immediate family think it was a heart attack. It wasn't, but I'm not going to tell them. It's better that they believe it was a heart attack.

I'm not suggesting anything nefarious regarding Terry's death and I'm not aware of any controvery. I just don't understand why some of you are so hell bent that it was his work and definitely not covid? He was just commenting a little over a month ago that everyone around him was coming down with it.

Maybe it was being overworked, or poor sleep, or just shitty luck, but until you see a cause of death, you really don't know. Whatever it was, it doesn't diminish the tragedy of dying so young and so close to retirement.

#20121 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

Wishing to see the average life expectancy To go lower? Just because you were “above average” doesn’t mean you should die.
Hoping this vaccine makes this all a fast memory by mid-21, pleeease!

#20124 3 years ago

Some analysis of the vaccine and where we are headed near term before it’s available.

Next few months has the potential to be New York City gone National.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/11/10/the-vaccine-news-is-good-heres-the-bad-news/

#20125 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Why is it so important to you that he not have died from covid?

Why do you feel the need to make this point? Our friends are mourning the loss of their friend and you want to debate this? Poor form.

#20126 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

An average age of 85 for COVID death seems a little high to me? Do you have a link to a source for that? Just curious.

It’s on the CDC website

#20127 3 years ago

I think people need to harden the fuck up.

My grandparents would have lived through the depression, followed by a world war. That was like 15 years of hardships and people pulled through eventually. This has been 6 months of tough times and people are getting frustrated, grow up, toughen up, the world is an unforgiving place. Be strong, suck it up and wear a mask.

People talk about loosing their freedom because they have to wear a mask out in public. Imagine being drafted to go to war, that’s a loss of personal choice and freedom. This is cloth over your mouth and nose. You’ll survive.

Edit. Just realized it’s November 11th today, 3 hours after posting. This is Remembrance Day here in Canada. Never forget the struggles of the past when you’re enjoying the luxury of today.

#20128 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Quoted from EJS:

It’s on the CDC website

Took a quick looksie at the cdc website And I think I see the problem: the poster is using the term average wrong.

The best I can do squaring their comment with the data in the table is that they are actually referring to the mode.

#20130 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

It’s on the CDC website

Edit: Thanks Oaken, that does make more sense. I was thinking I was losing my mind looking for an average!

I guess I also don’t understand the original point of the poster, why would the average COVID death age (or the mode of the death age)being slightly above the average life expectancy be unusual?

#20131 3 years ago
Quoted from bruinfan:

Why do you feel the need to make this point? Our friends are mourning the loss of their friend and you want to debate this? Poor form.

I'm not trying to debate anything. Posting in the covid thread and declaring "anyone who believes he could have died as a result of covid is a moron" isn't mourning. It's denial. There's a lot of folks in denial right now. That continued denial could kill you. That's a fair point to make, even if some may interpret it as poor form.

#20132 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

It’s on the CDC website

Personally I wouldn't trust the CDC or the FDA untill its reorganized after January of next year.

#20133 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Took a quick looksie at the cdc website And I think I see the problem: the poster is using the term average wrong.
The best I can do squaring their comment with the data in the table is that they are actually referring to the mode.

Would be interesting to know the average age or the mode of the last 3-4 months. Nursing homes in some areas were hit particularly hard on the front end of this.

#20134 3 years ago

Just found out my mother has tested positive for COVID from the retirement home she is in. I just visited her yesterday and kind of hard to hear that the next day. I will be away for awhile and just wanted to let you know. Take care.

#20135 3 years ago

About that vaccine that has everybody going nuts.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/11/10/the-vaccine-news-is-good-heres-the-bad-news/

"If we assume that Pfizer’s vaccine is a home run, mass immunization offers huge hurdles. The product is unlike any vaccine ever used, for any disease. What is actually injected is messenger RNA (mRNA)—the genetic blueprint for protein production—triggering human cells to manufacture millions of copies of the spike protein that protrudes from the surface of SARS-CoV-2 viruses. As those spike proteins circulate in an immunized person’s body, they hopefully make antibodies and other immune system components to fight it off. Thus, the mRNA triggers production of decoys that train the immune system to “see” the virus if it arrives in the body and destroy it."

But mRNA is very unstable. To prevent breakdown, it must be stored right up until the time of injection at a temperature of at least -103 degrees Fahrenheit—well below anything a standard freezer unit can manage. Few health departments, hospitals, or doctors’ offices currently have stockpiles of dry ice or ultrafreezers that can manage to consistently hold temperatures that low, and none have piles of portable units that can do the job. Dry ice in coolers could do the job, but the world is facing a shortage in pure carbon dioxide, which becomes dry ice when frozen.
========================

Wow. This is going to be a logistical nightmare with those kind of storage requirements on a mass scale.

#20136 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Wow. This is going to be a logistical nightmare with those kind of storage requirements on a mass scale.

Another article:
https://www.wired.com/story/why-its-a-big-deal-if-the-first-covid-vaccine-is-genetic/

I don't think this is the vaccine that will actually be deployed.

1) It's the first genetic-based vaccine and still largely untested. While it's a great achievement for the scientific community, a novel treatment like this really needs much more extensive testing and should not be rushed. Personally, the idea of a treatment like this taking place at the genetic level with little testing makes me very nervous.
2) It's still in trials, and while those trials look promising, the details and scope has been limited thus far.
3) Storage requirements are going to make it very difficult to distribute, especially in rural areas.
4) Logistical nightmare with multiple injections needed for each person over a period of several weeks. Even just one injection for the entire population is going to be a logistical nightmare; I can't imagine how impossible it would be for more than one for everyone.

#20137 3 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Just found out my mother has tested positive for COVID from the retirement home she is in. I just visited her yesterday and kind of hard to hear that the next day. I will be away for awhile and just wanted to let you know. Take care.

So sorry to hear that. Hope the best for her and the rest of yours.

#20138 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

About that vaccine that has everybody going nuts.
"If we assume that Pfizer’s vaccine is a home run, mass immunization offers huge hurdles. The product is unlike any vaccine ever used, for any disease. What is actually injected is messenger RNA (mRNA)—the genetic blueprint for protein production—triggering human cells to manufacture millions of copies of the spike protein that protrudes from the surface of SARS-CoV-2 viruses. As those spike proteins circulate in an immunized person’s body, they hopefully make antibodies and other immune system components to fight it off. Thus, the mRNA triggers production of decoys that train the immune system to “see” the virus if it arrives in the body and destroy it."
But mRNA is very unstable. To prevent breakdown, it must be stored right up until the time of injection at a temperature of at least -103 degrees Fahrenheit—well below anything a standard freezer unit can manage. Few health departments, hospitals, or doctors’ offices currently have stockpiles of dry ice or ultrafreezers that can manage to consistently hold temperatures that low, and none have piles of portable units that can do the job. Dry ice in coolers could do the job, but the world is facing a shortage in pure carbon dioxide, which becomes dry ice when frozen.
========================

There is currently not a Single airplane on the planet that has built in freezers.
Boeing and Airbus currently have not started any planning to make them.
However,they are aware and my bet there will be some scrambling behind curtains to figure this out. ETA-3 years.

#20139 3 years ago

My question is how can a fluid that is -103 degrees F be injected in a human without causing tissue damage at the sight of the injection from it being so cold?

#20140 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

My question is how can a fluid that is -103 degrees F be injected in a human without causing tissue damage at the sight of the injection from it being so cold?

Those are just the conditions at which the vaccine is shelf stable. The main problem is that the distribution chain for vaccines isn't equipped to deal with keeping materials that cold.

Think of it like storing or cooking a frozen hamburger. When it's frozen, you can store it for quite a long time, but in this case, only fridges are available and raw meat won't keep in the fridge for nearly as long before it spoils.

But while the burger is frozen, it can't be eaten, so it needs to be thawed and cooked, but will go bad after sitting out on the counter for a while.

So no, the vaccine wouldn't be injected at that temperature. That's just how it's stored for safe keeping until it needs to be prepared for use.

#20141 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Those are just the conditions at which the vaccine is shelf stable. The main problem is that the distribution chain for vaccines isn't equipped to deal with keeping materials that cold.
Think of it like storing or cooking a frozen hamburger. When it's frozen, you can store it for quite a long time, but in this case, only fridges are available and raw meat won't keep in the fridge for nearly as long before it spoils.
But while the burger is frozen, it can't be eaten, so it needs to be thawed and cooked, but will go bad after sitting out on the counter for a while.

I guess I am reading it too literal because it said right up to the time of injection. As a person that reads and deciphers technical language all day for a living I would not word it that way.

#20142 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Would be interesting to know the average age or the mode of the last 3-4 months. Nursing homes in some areas were hit particularly hard on the front end of this.

Yes, this skewed both the average age of deaths and hospitalizations and the death rate in the states that were hit first. As the virus worked it's way into the general public and we learned how to better treat it, the death rate fell and also the age of who was dying started to fall. But since a bunch of people over 80 died early on, it will always skew the data.

#20143 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

My partner with cystic fibrosis has some medicine that is shipped refrigerated and has to be stored in the fridge to remain viable. If kept cold it can last for months. Once it warms up to room temp it can only last about 24 hours. She leaves it out for at least an hour to warm up before injecting it. I assume it's something similar.

#20144 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

There is currently not a Single airplane on the planet that has built in freezers.
Boeing and Airbus currently have not started any planning to make them.
However, they are aware and my bet there will be some scrambling behind curtains to figure this out. ETA-3 years.

Yet they airship frozen goods all the time, I wonder how it's done? When my in-laws lived in Alaska, they'd ship us salmon a couple times a year that I'd go pick up from Alaska Airlines freight, it was always frozen solid.

#20145 3 years ago
Screenshot_20201111-124721~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201111-124721~2 (resized).png
#20146 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Yet they airship frozen goods all the time, I wonder how it's done? When my in-laws lived in Alaska, they'd ship us salmon a couple times a year that I'd go pick up from Alaska Airlines freight, it was always frozen solid.

Two words: dry Ice

Also FYI there is a dry ice shortage currently because it is mainly produced as a by product of ethanol production. Due to covid, demand dropped for ethanol, so a lot less dry ice out there to buy.

#20147 3 years ago
Quoted from bruinfan:

I think OLDPINGUY first mentioned Terry's passing in this thread just to give people heads up with the news and main thread. Rarehero was wondering/asked if it was Covid in response. It was pretty innocent and not meant to be a slight.

#20149 3 years ago

Here's a pretty interesting interview with General Perna, who is heading up Operation Warp Speed. He seems like a sharp guy, and certainly has the background for this type of mission.

"A four-star general, Perna previously served as the commanding general for the U.S. Army Materiel Command, which manages the Army's global supply chain. "I'm a professional logistician. That's what I've been doing for 39 years," he says."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/09/933060635/operation-warp-speeds-logistics-chief-weighs-in-on-vaccine-progress

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 403 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/403?hl=rezdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.