272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 397 of 576.
#19800 3 years ago

I think this count is of the total beds, not of ICU beds or ventilators. They can't treat Covid patients in a normal outpatient surgery bed.

#19801 3 years ago

It could be time to start driving around counting cars in hospital parking lots again!

#19802 3 years ago

Online retailers continue to rake it in as people shop online instead of in person. Mask sales constitute 11% of Etsy's merch sales.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/etsy-blows-past-expectations-with-mask-sales-and-more-11603918715?mod=home-page

"Etsy provides a platform for sellers and buyers, and the company said it saw 14.8 million new and reactivated buyers in the third quarter. In a sign of our pandemic times, face-mask sales constituted 11% of Etsy’s gross merchandise sales, although the company pointed out that its GMS excluding mask sales was $2.2 billion, up 93% from the year-ago period."

#19803 3 years ago

Covid Patients are Quarantined. Does not relate to total Beds Available.

Quoted from poppapin:

Interesting snapshot of covid hospitalizations. Are they really over run?

Help me out, its simply for my knowledge. Where did you first hear, see, or read of the link you posted?
I wanted to work backwards.....Keeps an old man busy. Thanks.

#19804 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You need to look at the number of ICU beds available, not total number of beds.

Got that info?

#19805 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

And teachers, well we hear everyday from family, and a teacher here or there out with the virus is an everyday event,
with individual schools closing one or two a week in Orange county. Some should have closed, and teachers, well many are scared, and exhausted already. Minimal learning, regardless of method. Kids feel the stress too.
How are those with children in school handling all this by you?
Are you getting good info in your state?

COVID monitor is trying to track school infections using public health records and anonymous reporting. Florida is easily the worst part of the map for schools, too.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/fb52d598982f41faac714b5ebe32e7d1

#19806 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You need to look at the number of ICU beds available, not total number of beds.

Also you can’t just insert covid patients willy nilly throughout your hospital network or you will infect everyone.

#19807 3 years ago

No one has ever said that all hospitals are 'over run'. This stat just shows number of beds occupied by Covid patients, not beds occupied. My state, TN, has 1,384 hospital beds out of 4,183 total currently occupied by Covid patients. 33.1% of all hospital beds in my state have a Covid patient!! I am sure the ICU bed % is far higher.

There are patients in the hospital with problems other than Covid, so the census rate is higher than 33.1% and a lot higher than normal. The 33.1% occupancy represented by Covid patients strain a hospital's capacity, which is not measured just by bed count. The health system was not built for this and the strain it puts on the healthcare workers - housekeeping, nursing, physicians, volunteers, med techs, pharmacists, transport, food service, respiratory techs, radiology techs, lab workers, phlebotomists, and all the people that keep our hospitals running is extraordinary.

Over 1700 healthcare workers have died from Covid in the US.

If you think this amount of work for this long doesn't potentially affect the quality or availability of care at your local hospital if you have to go in (for anything!), then you are sadly mistaken.

When people post things like this to downplay the virus, it sucks. The % of those people is fairly low compared to all the people available, but I say we are over run with them right now.

#19808 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

When people post things like this to downplay the virus, it sucks.

Not downplaying the virus at all, merely posting covid hospitalizations. To me those numbers don't seem excessive, but that's all you hear on CNN.

#19809 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The Illinois Shelter in Place order really helped after taking away quite a bit of freedom from the citizens and visitors there.

has it cut down on the murder rate?

#19810 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Not downplaying the virus at all, merely posting covid hospitalizations. To me those numbers don't seem excessive, but that's all you hear on CNN.

Respectfully, I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how our hospital system works in this country.

It’s like if I say the river is at 15 ft and expected to crest at 20 ft. If I give you no other information about that river, you have no idea if that is bad or not.

Now if I say flood stage is 10 ft and 1000 yr flood is 17 ft....then the “oh shit” picture starts to fill in.

This is a “oh shit” moment for hospitals.

#19811 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Got that info?

Lots of states do expose that information. Here is the dashboard for South Carolina:

https://scdhec.gov/covid19/hospital-bed-capacity-covid-19

#19812 3 years ago

From October 8th, (and it has gotten much worse since then)

Green Bay

“ At 6:45 a.m. Tuesday, not a single bed was available throughout the ThedaCare system in the Fox Valley, President and CEO Dr. Imran Andrabi told reporters Wednesday.”

Twin Cities are starting to export patients around the region. Duluth is under water.

I think the entirety of South Dakota is under 10 icu beds available.

Northern Idaho is blown out.

When this spikes in a community, the hospitals get overwhelmed nearly every single time.

#19813 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

To me those numbers don't seem excessive

What is your baseline? What seems excessive to you? What do you consider to be an acceptable number?

Quoted from poppapin:

but that's all you hear on CNN.

Really? Did you see the the video out in El Paso hospital? El Paso is filling up. And has the refrigeration trucks coming in for funeral parlor overflow.

#19814 3 years ago

The total hospital bed number for TN looked low to me and it is, but the information available from the state of TN site paints a darker picture. Only 16% capacity left for regular hospital beds and 12% capacity left for ICU beds. That is def not good. Ask a hospital administrator around here if they would like some more Covid patients.

Source: https://www.tn.gov/health/cedep/ncov/data/hospitalization-data/hospital-capacity.html

#19815 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

1,030 Americans died of COVID-19 yesterday.

It’s all you hear on CNN!

#19816 3 years ago

Ooof, Ohio's numbers are up.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#19817 3 years ago

Scroll about halfway down this article. There is a pretty dire animated graphic showing how bad things are in the middle of the country right now...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/elections/swing-states-covid-cases/

#19818 3 years ago

Add two more corona deaths

meth (resized).jpgmeth (resized).jpg
#19819 3 years ago
jason (resized).jpgjason (resized).jpg
#19820 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I have 2 in my Bathroom of “Oddities, Victorian Medicine and Serial Killers” They are there with some other insects withe the most painful stings/bites mentioned on the Schmidt's pain scale. They are pretty big.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Entomology nice! One of the reasons I love csi so much.

#19821 3 years ago
Quoted from robm:

Interesting outlook on life...(or lack thereof in this case!). Can you explain your thought process so it can be understood. Leave COVID out of the arguement, so are you suggesting if you had the choice to be alive, but with restrictions, you would deliberately choose not to live, but die?
I just can't really fathom that line of thinking. I've got a family, responsibilities and friends that i'm all pretty sure would rather me alive than dead. So if being alive means a few restrictions, then surely that is the better choice?
In Queensland (Australia), we were restricted for a period of time, got things under control, then moved on with life. We have not had any confrimed community transmission cases for months, only positives have been from transport ships or people coming from interstate.

Y’all crack me up! You say we... ain’t going to do nothing. You should say I’m going to do something. All I see is blame our government needs to do something. Wrong! You need to go out and tell people. Less typing more action!

#19822 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I think this is a very slick article on virus aerosol spread. Bravo to the graphics department.
https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

If you also got dazzled by the pretty pictures, Here is an article (edit: with input) by the author of the aerosol spread research that the El Pais piece above is based on. El Pais took some liberties in order to make a beautiful presentation. Reality, while bad, isn’t as bad as they (El Pais) imply.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90569949/watch-how-coronavirus-spreads-indoors-in-a-room-a-bar-and-a-classroom

#19823 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I guess it is true, corona WILL be the death of us all!

#19824 3 years ago
Screenshot_20201030-091921~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201030-091921~2 (resized).png
#19825 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

[quoted image]

Yuk, yuk, yuk - funny and fake of course. Here is some real news of hospitals in Utah on the verge of being overwhelmed right now:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/26/health/utah-hospitals-care-rationing-covid/index.html

An official tweet from one of Utah's unelected public health officials trying to get everyone to stop running their lives by their Uncle's facebook page and take the pandemic seriously so people don't die unnecessarily:

Image 10-30-20 at 9.28 AM (resized).jpgImage 10-30-20 at 9.28 AM (resized).jpg

Here is Utah's Governor responding to a planned protest at the public health official's HOME and death threats:

Image 10-30-20 at 9.30 AM (resized).jpgImage 10-30-20 at 9.30 AM (resized).jpg

#19826 3 years ago

This is going over my head.

#19827 3 years ago

Coming soon to state near you? This is the conservative republican governor of Utah, consistently one of the top 5 healthiest states in the USA.

Image 10-30-20 at 9.44 AM (resized).jpgImage 10-30-20 at 9.44 AM (resized).jpg

#19828 3 years ago

Unfortunately we are breaking records with new numbers of cases.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#19829 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

[quoted image]

You know this is a fake meme right?

#19830 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Unfortunately we are breaking records with new numbers of cases.

That's only because we are doing more testing ...

#19831 3 years ago

Im just pissed. One Platform, including children, media, and Pundits is telling everyone the Numbers are down, hardly anyone
is dying. There are no issues to be concerned.

How does this stand, so its repeated back to me as the "Truth"? Are we really that bad at understanding reality?

#19832 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im just pissed. One Platform, including children, media, and Pundits is telling everyone the Numbers are down, hardly anyone is dying. There are no issues to be concerned. How does this stand, so its repeated back to me as the "Truth"? Are we really that bad at understanding reality?

It's very disheartening to see what's happening to our country right now. Social media and other echo chambers are allowing disinformation and outright lies to become an accepted alternate reality. It's quite possibly the greatest breakdown in communication the world has ever seen.

#19833 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's only because we are doing more testing ...

Don't you think you should get back over to your regular hangout known as Twitter and continue to do your tweeting there? .

#19836 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im just pissed. One Platform, including children, media, and Pundits is telling everyone the Numbers are down, hardly anyone
is dying. There are no issues to be concerned.
How does this stand, so its repeated back to me as the "Truth"? Are we really that bad at understanding reality?

Quoted from gweempose:

It's very disheartening to see what's happening to our country right now. Social media and other echo chambers are allowing disinformation and outright lies to become an accepted alternate reality. It's quite possibly the greatest breakdown in communication the world has ever seen.

I hear ya...I'm not sure there's anything anyone can do to make people understand anymore. You can dumb it down and baby explain it until your are blue in the face but its pretty much pointless. These people are rabid and take exception to anything that opposes their position. They will just find a number, a post, a website that anecdotally or falsely claims the complete opposite. Saying deaths are down to "Almost nothing" when 970 people die in a day? Just look at the microcosm of this thread.

Knowing you are not alone with others that still believe in science as a way out of Pandemic makes me feel a little bit better. There are still sane people in the US that haven't been absorbed into the cult. You cant tell people we're rounding the corner and deaths are down when there are 500,000+ new cases this week. Guess what's right around the corner... more spread, more hospitalizations and more deaths. You wont hear the experts say "I told ya so" but the numbers will.

#19837 3 years ago

It's like beating your head against wall! My wife and I have been good about being safe during all this, but lately she is starting to falter. She has her annual family Thanksgiving/ Christmas gathering and wants to go, I have fought her on this, especially with the recent spike in cases. She finally said if you're so scared, just stay home! So after trying to explain that is not how it works to no avail, I gave up and agreed to go. What do you do?!? Trying to explain to her it's not about me, it's about other people, I know she is not that stupid!

#19838 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

It's like beating your head against wall! My wife and I have been good about being safe during all this, but lately she is starting to falter. She has her annual family Thanksgiving/ Christmas gathering and wants to go, I have fought her on this, especially with the recent spike in cases. She finally said if you're so scared, just stay home! So after trying to explain that is not how it works to no avail, I gave up and agreed to go. What do you do?!? Trying to explain to her it's not about me, it's about other people, I know she is not that stupid!

It is super tough. We are all social creatures (to one extent or another). Your wife seems ready to risk it, but you have to mitigate those risks. I am a "better safe than sorry" type of guy...so I sympathize with you on this.
If you go, be cautious. Masks, distancing, washing hands, and try hard not to touch your face.

#19839 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

You know this is a fake meme right?

He doesn't know and he doesn't care.

Been that way for 8 months for some folks. Scoring dumb internet points that don't matter with stupid memes is more important than actually understanding this pandemic and trying to help snuff it out. This thread is absolutely littered with stupid memes that are already hilariously out of date, like the one showing all of the things that will kill more Americans this year than COVID, in which all the numbers are already dwarfed by COVID.

The response to COVID-19 has been the greatest American failure of my lifetime. Plenty of blame to go around for that but it doesn't change anything or make me feel any less sad about it.

#19840 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

There's been some early reports that the flu vaccine makes it harder to catch covid-19 (but exactly what the reason for that is remains unclear), which has me considering a flu shot for our family for the first time ever.

If you're going to go into that tremendously risky family gathering, I'd take out some insurance with a flu shot for you and your wife at least 3 weeks in advance so your immune system has fully recovered from the shot and that may give you a boost in protection if you are exposed to the novel coronavirus from someone not yet symptomatic that has COVID-19 at the gathering.

#19841 3 years ago

Trick is finding a flu shot. At least ‘round here you have to call around. Med clinic, local pharmacy, and cvs nothing till mid November.

But the Target, which is run by CVS, has a hoard.

As i understand it, it is due to poor ordering/planning and not due to significant shortages.

Senior shot is trickier.

Edit: my med clinic is booked out to dec 1st for flu shot, no more senior shots available or gonna to be available. Same for pharmacy in clinic. I chuckled because they called me with the bad news while I was getting one at Target.

#19842 3 years ago

This stupid meme and it's brethren were super popular around here about 5 months ago.

Well, thank God for cancer and heart disease I guess!

dumb c meme (resized).jpegdumb c meme (resized).jpeg
#19844 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This stupid meme and it's brethren were super popular around here about 5 months ago.
Well, thank God for cancer and heart disease I guess![quoted image]

Cancer and Heart Disease will be holding Covid's beer if we don't change course.

#19845 3 years ago

South Dakota. Cases still rising. Keep in mind Hospitalization lags cases.

This is an example of the river flooding analogy I gave earlier. Not close to cresting yet.
18A300F1-EDC7-4899-900F-49521F8CC915.jpeg18A300F1-EDC7-4899-900F-49521F8CC915.jpeg

Edit: and here is a link to the situation in WI as a whole. Regionally some areas are far tighter than others.
https://www.wha.org/COVID19Update

#19846 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Trick is finding a flu shot. At least ‘round here you have to call around. Med clinic, local pharmacy, and cvs nothing till mid November.
But the Target, which is run by CVS, has a hoard.
As i understand it, it is due to poor ordering/planning and not due to significant shortages.

Senior shot is trickier.

Feel lucky , i got a flu shot 2 weeks ago. Hunkering down for a long winter.

#19847 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Covid Patients are Quarantined. Does not relate to total Beds Available.

Help me out, its simply for my knowledge. Where did you first hear, see, or read of the link you posted?
I wanted to work backwards.....Keeps an old man busy. Thanks.

Google is your friend...How I found it.

#19848 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's been some early reports that the flu vaccine makes it harder to catch covid-19 (but exactly what the reason for that is remains unclear), which has me considering a flu shot for our family for the first time ever.

By all means get a flu shot, but I read one of those studies. It compared rates of Covid infection in hospital employees who got a flu shot last year vs. those who didn't. If you work in a hospital and don't get a flu shot every year, I suspect you probably aren't as diligent about wearing a mask and social distancing as the hospital employees who did get the flu shot.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-flu-shot-might-reduce-coronavirus-infections-early-research-suggests/

#19849 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

By all means get a flu shot, but I read one of those studies. It compared rates of Covid infection in hospital employees who got a flu shot last year vs. those who didn't. If you work in a hospital and don't get a flu shot every year, I suspect you probably aren't as diligent about wearing a mask and social distancing as the hospital employees who did get the flu sghot.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-flu-shot-might-reduce-coronavirus-infections-early-research-suggests/

Hospitals aren't like walmart where masks are optional even though they're supposedly required but no one polices individual customer compliance. If you're working in a hospital flouting mask/PPE protocols you won't be working there long I suspect. They police that stuff pretty heavily. So I doubt the unsubstantiated conclusion you made is much of a factor and will take the flu shot results at face value while waiting for followup studies. At the very least, it's an easy and cheap hedge.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 397 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/397 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.