272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 395 of 576.
#19700 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think a lot of people hate this way of life and are starting to just not care anymore honestly and are willing to take their chances.

I'll agree. One starts out with going out to buy groceries. Then you have to gas the car up. Well, you need a haircut so why not stop by the barber shop while you are already out. While getting your hair cut you think about a part on your car that broke and needs replaced, so you stop at the auto parts store. And it will always be something you need that drags you from the house. And leaving the house feels "normal" again.

It is sort of like hitting the highway. When you start out, 60 mph seems like a good steady speed. But the speed limits are now 75 mph most everywhere and people are causing at 80 and 85. And 90. Once you hit those speeds, they start to feel "normal". So you cruise along at 85 and 90 with no care in the world---until you miss a turn.

#19701 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I have 2 in my Bathroom of “Oddities, Victorian Medicine and Serial Killers” They are there with some other insects withe the most painful stings/bites mentioned on the Schmidt's pain scale. They are pretty big.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You would enjoy this museum in Philly. Medical oddities and medical practices throughout the years.
http://muttermuseum.org/

#19702 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So I'm just curious.......and im not being a smartass honest to God. Do you guys stay locked up in your house in fear of getting this virus?

No, I stay locked up because the world is full of inconsiderate, and controlling assholes even without the virus.

#19703 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So I'm just curious.......and im not being a smartass honest to God. Do you guys stay locked up in your house in fear of getting this virus? At first I really was hardcore about staying at home other than having to go to work. I still dont get out and do much unnecessary running around but i do go get food a lot more often than i used to and sometimes i just say screw it and i go to wal mart or wherever because I just want to get out of the house and be a normal person again.
I guess to sum it all up you could say that I still respect this virus but I am tired of letting it control my life also. I still dont go to large gatherings but I would have a couple of friends over for pinball here and there where I wouldn't have even considered a few months ago. I'm tired of living like this.

In a word, yes. Not a fatass, but my pre existing conditions mean I have a pretty high chance of hospitalization. If I am hospitalized, wife has to stay home from work because there is no one to take care of my kids. My wife has only so many sick/vacation days she can take at a time before they would shit can her. If she gets shit canned, poof there goes the kick ass healthcare policy.

You can see how this would continue to snowball to a very bad place. A brew with my buds is simply not worth it.

Edit: and yeah it’s messed up because my wife worked the covid clinic early on and has to prepare for exposure every single day. If her work gets me hurt then they cut her loose. And on top of that she is constantly being yelled at by anti mask conspiracy deniers. Some of which she has had to call back with their positive results. It’s stressful.

#19704 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So I'm just curious.......and im not being a smartass honest to God. Do you guys stay locked up in your house in fear of getting this virus? At first I really was hardcore about staying at home other than having to go to work. I still dont get out and do much unnecessary running around but i do go get food a lot more often than i used to and sometimes i just say screw it and i go to wal mart or wherever because I just want to get out of the house and be a normal person again.
I guess to sum it all up you could say that I still respect this virus but I am tired of letting it control my life also. I still dont go to large gatherings but I would have a couple of friends over for pinball here and there where I wouldn't have even considered a few months ago. I'm tired of living like this.

My family has definitely reached our limit a couple of times. We are still very dialed back, we always wear masks, and we take advantage of delivery services and grocery online orders as much as we can.

But.... This past weekend we ate at a restaurant for the first time since March. We actually ate at two of them on the same day. One was outdoors and the tables were super far apart. The other was indoors with tables far apart, but there was only one other family at the time we went, seated in different parts of the restaurant. I was really surprised at how empty that one was.

The only way the school can provide the services agreed upon in my son's IEP is to have him come to the building every day, even though my daughter is completely virtual schooling. He goes to the school building 5 days a week. It's not ideal but we don't really have a choice.

Point being, I personally just hope everyone does the best they can with the situation they are given. If someone feels they have to live their normal life but are still willing to wear a mask, that's a huge help. Every step beyond that just helps more. Combining multiple grocery trips into one, doing take out, avoiding crowds, etc... All of that is just more stuff people can do to help, in my opinion.

If you are at the breaking point and need to have some buddies over for pinball at your house, I say go for it. Ask everyone to be honest about how they are feeling (sick or not) and see how they feel about masking up unless you are drinking/eating.

#19705 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'll agree. One starts out with going out to buy groceries. Then you have to gas the car up. Well, you need a haircut so why not stop by the barber shop while you are already out. While getting your hair cut you think about a part on your car that broke and needs replaced, so you stop at the auto parts store. And it will always be something you need that drags you from the house. And leaving the house feels "normal" again.
It is sort of like hitting the highway. When you start out, 60 mph seems like a good steady speed. But the speed limits are now 75 mph most everywhere and people are causing at 80 and 85. And 90. Once you hit those speeds, they start to feel "normal". So you cruise along at 85 and 90 with no care in the world---until you miss a turn.

Quoted from o-din:

No, I stay locked up because the world is full of inconsiderate, controlling assholes even without the virus.

Case and point:
I just had to go to Walmart for some groceries. It's Monday, 2pm, and it is raining. I thought it would be slow. I was wrong. Not only was it busy, but at least 1/3rd of the people had no mask. Another 1/3 - 1/2 had a mask below their chin or under their nose. I couldn't tell that anyone was making an attempt to distance themselves either.

What was really annoying, however, were the workers that weren't wearing masks. Once again...a couple had no mask, but I would bet that at least half had it below their nose or even below their chin. I know Walmart doesn't want to have to enforce guests to wear masks due to fights...but what about the employees???

#19706 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I guess to sum it all up you could say that I still respect this virus but I am tired of letting it control my life also.

Well, the thing is, the virus doesn't care if you're tired of it. You being sick of quarantine doesn't make it magically stop.

I'm sick of it, but nothing's changed.

#19707 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

What was really annoying, however, were the workers that weren't wearing masks. Once again...a couple had no mask, but I would bet that at least half had it below their nose or even below their chin. I know Walmart doesn't want to have to enforce guests to wear masks due to fights...but what about the employees???

This is why many believe masks have become a pointless venture. Most don't wear them correctly, and then you have the constant touching of them which transfers the virus or other germs straight to the hands.

I've gotta believe in my own immune system at this point, because this virus is going to spread no matter what feeble attempts man does to try to control it. I know that's not a popular opinion, but it is reality.

#19708 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

In a word, yes. Not a fatass, but my pre existing conditions mean I have a pretty high chance of hospitalization. If I am hospitalized, wife has to stay home from work because there is no one to take care of my kids. My wife has only so many sick/vacation days she can take at a time before they would shit can her. If she gets shit canned, poof there goes the kick ass healthcare policy.
You can see how this would continue to snowball to a very bad place. A brew with my buds is simply not worth it.
Edit: and yeah it’s messed up because my wife worked the covid clinic early on and has to prepare for exposure every single day. If her work gets me hurt then they cut her loose. And on top of that she is constantly being yelled at by anti mask conspiracy deniers. Some of which she has had to call back with their positive results. It’s stressful.

Totally understand that. If you are high risk you should take every precaution that you possibly can to not catch this virus.

#19709 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My family has definitely reached our limit a couple of times. We are still very dialed back, we always wear masks, and we take advantage of delivery services and grocery online orders as much as we can.
But.... This past weekend we ate at a restaurant for the first time since March. We actually ate at two of them on the same day. One was outdoors and the tables were super far apart. The other was indoors with tables far apart, but there was only one other family at the time we went, seated in different parts of the restaurant. I was really surprised at how empty that one was.
The only way the school can provide the services agreed upon in my son's IEP is to have him come to the building every day, even though my daughter is completely virtual schooling. He goes to the school building 5 days a week. It's not ideal but we don't really have a choice.
Point being, I personally just hope everyone does the best they can with the situation they are given. If someone feels they have to live their normal life but are still willing to wear a mask, that's a huge help. Every step beyond that just helps more. Combining multiple grocery trips into one, doing take out, avoiding crowds, etc... All of that is just more stuff people can do to help, in my opinion.
If you are at the breaking point and need to have some buddies over for pinball at your house, I say go for it. Ask everyone to be honest about how they are feeling (sick or not) and see how they feel about masking up unless you are drinking/eating.

We have started eating out some but we always make sure that it's not a crowded restuarant and we have only a few that we go to that are always pretty empty. I did take the the gf to bath and body works today and that probably wasnt a good idea because it's a small store with tons of women in there shopping AND everytime we go in there it's at least a hundred dollar bill.

I told her though that we need not to be going in places like that anymore. Another thing that sucks is I am doing some training at work right now and you can't social distance and train someone and that sucks. If I can just make it until the first of the year without catching this shit I my chances of not catching it will go up significantly because I will be retired.

#19710 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Totally understand that. If you are high risk you should take every precaution that you possibly can to not catch this virus.

The rub is if you are high risk and your kid goes to school, and then brings it home to you.

#19711 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This is why many believe masks have become a pointless venture. Most don't wear them correctly, and then you have the constant touching of them which transfers the virus or other germs straight to the hands.
I've gotta believe in my own immune system at this point, because this virus is going spread no matter what feeble attempts man does to try to control it. I know that's not a popular opinion, but it is reality.

Seriously. You are really hard selling that "mask fondling" scenario. I'm sure it could be a thing but there just isn't any argument. Everyone wears a mask ,even dullards who have no common sense , the aggregate results are going to be much better for the public health than if not....
End of story.

#19712 3 years ago

People in the US just have to stay strong and persevere. We can’t just say I give up after 10 months. We’re better than this. Other countries have it under control and they don’t have anything more than we do. The Whitehouse had 5 new cases today the same as New Zealand...the entire country.

#19713 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

Everyone wears a mask ,even dullards who have no common sense , the aggregate results are going to be much better for the public health than if not....

You are just not getting the point that most don't or won't wear them correctly including a guy I can't mention here, but he is one of the worst offenders. It's not doing any more good than providing some false sense of security.

I don't go out much, but when I do, I rarely see anybody that is wearing it right.

Quoted from Daditude:

Another 1/3 - 1/2 had a mask below their chin or under their nose. I couldn't tell that anyone was making an attempt to distance themselves either.

If everyone wore a mask that completely sealed their respiratory system so a virus could not escape or get in, it would make a difference, but they don't or rarely do.

There are no mask police to enforce it either. Never will be. As long as you have something hanging, that seems to be good enough for the status quo.

#19714 3 years ago
Screenshot_20201026-190233~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201026-190233~2 (resized).png
#19716 3 years ago

CDC has released some interesting (if incomplete) data on covid related hospitalizations of healthcare workers.

Tl:dr. It’s bad. Especially for nurses.

“fun” tidbits:
6% of all covid hospitalizations have been healthcare workers
10% of those hospitalized had no risk factors. Median age 49.
28% of the hospitalized healthcare workers ended up in icu.

#19717 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Other countries have it under control

No way to know that because we dont know if they are being truthful with their numbers.....heck we dont even know if our own country is being truthful with us or not. The thing is though if "getting it under control" means lockdowns and shutdowns then I am NOT for any of that at all. We must keep our economy strong and I dont want the government telling me that I cant get in my car and go to the store so no thanks on that I'd rather be dead than to lose my freedom.

#19718 3 years ago
cc7ba81349734203 (resized).jpegcc7ba81349734203 (resized).jpeg
#19719 3 years ago

My daughter's been in England now for the last few months and she says there's a bunch of dicknoses over there too, if they are wearing any masks at all.

I guess on the plus side, you can't see their teeth.

#19720 3 years ago

How has the pandemic affected everyone's personal collection and arcade's and shows in your area?

My personal collection hasn't changed much, but I have noticed pins seem to have been pretty easy to sell. Especially projects.

The arcades near me have suffered, however. A few have closed permanently, and others seem to be dealing with drastically reduced volume...so I'm not sure how long they can last. I have tried to support them by ordering to-go items and even playing there during off-times, but there is obviously only so much I can do.

As far as shows go, the Houston show has already been cancelled for November, and the Texas Pinball Festival is on hold for whether or not it will be held in March. I understand...but it is majorly disappointing. Pinball festivals are events I look forward to all year.

#19721 3 years ago

The mind boggles...

"Trump health spokesperson planned to vaccinate Santas in $250 million campaign."

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/10/santas-scrooged-by-trump-admin-after-bizarre-vaccine-deal-goes-south/

Even if you do manage to vaccinate Santa and all his elves, little Timmy and his parents standing next to all the other Timmy aren't immune. On what planet does this work?

#19722 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

How has the pandemic affected everyone's personal collection and arcade's and shows in your area?
My personal collection hasn't changed much, but I have noticed pins seem to have been pretty easy to sell. Especially projects.
The arcades near me have suffered, however. A few have closed permanently, and others seem to be dealing with drastically reduced volume...so I'm not sure how long they can last. I have tried to support them by ordering to-go items and even playing there during off-times, but there is obviously only so much I can do.
As far as shows go, the Houston show has already been cancelled for November, and the Texas Pinball Festival is on hold for whether or not it will be held in March. I understand...but it is majorly disappointing. Pinball festivals are events I look forward to all year.

Pinball shows have been put on hold, arcades have been hurt pretty bad from what I understand but people still seem to be working and able to hold onto their games. Bunch of damn Dick nose MF'rs running around everywhere though.

#19723 3 years ago

How many people do you suppose wear the same mask over and over again without ever washing it let alone sterilizing it?

#19724 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Today Victoria had 0 cases and 0 deaths .
It's been 139 days since we last had 0 cases .
It's taken months of lockdown and restrictions but almost everything will open up tomorrow at 11:59 p.m.
The best bit is razor isn't here trying to put a dampener on it , today just keeps getting better

How good is that news!!! 3 months of hard labor, well it seemed like it stuck in the house within 5k of home within curfew times and not seeing a sole but your immediate family
Comparing to much of Europe now going through their second wave, it seems like the appropriate response to stop transmission.

#19725 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'd rather be dead than to lose my freedom.

Interesting outlook on life...(or lack thereof in this case!). Can you explain your thought process so it can be understood. Leave COVID out of the arguement, so are you suggesting if you had the choice to be alive, but with restrictions, you would deliberately choose not to live, but die?

I just can't really fathom that line of thinking. I've got a family, responsibilities and friends that i'm all pretty sure would rather me alive than dead. So if being alive means a few restrictions, then surely that is the better choice?

In Queensland (Australia), we were restricted for a period of time, got things under control, then moved on with life. We have not had any confrimed community transmission cases for months, only positives have been from transport ships or people coming from interstate.

#19727 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've gotta believe in my own immune system at this point, because this virus is going to spread no matter what feeble attempts man does to try to control it. I know that's not a popular opinion, but it is reality.

Unfortunately, your opinion is not reality, it's an opinion only that doesn't line up with facts. Masks work. How do I know for sure? All the places with high mask wearing compliance in the 90%+ range have miniscule COVID-19 cases and deaths, DESPITE some having very dense populations.

Total deaths to date per 100k population
---------------------------
Singapore 0.5
South Korea 0.9
Japan 1.3
Hong Kong 1.4
Norway 4.9
Germany 11.8
Canada 26.1
United States 66.9

The US has ~66x more deaths than South Korea and 47x more deaths than Hong Kong. The US has 5x the deaths of Germany more than 2x the deaths of Canada - western developed countries that are serious about controlling the spread. That's crazy, and telling.

Yes, all those Asian countries have some degree of contact tracing, too, but masks are the one thing all of them have in common at almost exactly the same levels. Hong Kong has massive population density, too, and yet it had a little over 1 death per 100k, which is nothing compared to non-mask-wearing New York when they had their initial burst. Given that it's been proven that the virus lingers in the air sometimes for hours after an infected person was in the room, the mask will at least REDUCE the viral load a person receives even if they touch it to adjust it, etc. That's important because the amount of virus a person receives frequently dictates how severe the infection will be, so even if you fail in avoiding it entirely, anything to mitigate the level of virus initially received is worth doing.

COVID-19 likely to be a leading cause of death amongst young people due to changes the virus causes in and around their hearts. So being young isn't the free pass many people still think it is. Reuters had an article on it just yesterday:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-science/covid-19-heart-changes-raise-death-risk-virus-may-be-lead-killer-of-young-adults-during-surges-idUSKBN27B2KA

The problem is, many people are like, "well, 95% or more of people that get it recover." Unfortunately that's not really true. Even if you survive, you do not recover. My neighbor is a therapist at a hospital here and works with covid patients getting ready for discharge. He says to a person NONE of the people he's worked with RECOVERED from COVID-19, they all just SURVIVED it, because all of them have some issue(s) they didn't have before to deal with (brain/cognition, heart, lung, etc). He thinks that's the message missed by Americans. Regardless of age, you don't recover from COVID-19 - ever. You only survive it.

So, the goal is to do everything within your power to not even risk getting it.

Therefore, wear a mask.

#19728 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The rub is if you are high risk and your kid goes to school, and then brings it home to you.

Our kids are past school age, but my daughter teaches sign language at a charter school that would not do remote classes, so I told her we would support her living expenses while she's out of work. She wasn't happy about it, but she understands why and as a result she's not bringing home potential infection. The school is out their sign language teacher because they were too stubborn. Their loss.

If we still had kids in school, they would be 100% home-schooled during this whole thing. I wouldn't want to send them physically damaged into adulthood because I was reckless with their health as kids or teens resulting in them getting COVID-19.

#19729 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Unfortunately, your opinion is not reality, it's an opinion only that doesn't line up with facts. Masks work. How do I know for sure? All the places with high mask wearing compliance in the 90%+ range have miniscule COVID-19 cases and deaths, DESPITE some having very dense populations.
Deaths per 100k population
South Korea 0.9
Japan 1.3
Hong Kong 1.4
United States 66.9
The US has ~66x more deaths than South Korea and 47x more deaths than Hong Kong. That's crazy, and telling.
Yes, all those Asian countries have some degree of contact tracing, too, but masks are the one thing all of them have in common at almost exactly the same levels. Hong Kong has massive population density, too, and yet it had a little over 1 death per 100k, which is nothing compared to non-mask-wearing New York when they had their initial burst. Given that it's been proven that the virus lingers in the air sometimes for hours after an infected person was in the room, the mask will at least REDUCE the viral load a person receives even if they touch it to adjust it, etc. And the amount of virus a person receives frequently dictates how severe the infection will be, so anything to mitigate that is worth doing.
The problem is, many people are like, "well, 95% or more of people that get it recover." Unfortunately that's not really true. Even if you survive, you do not recover. My neighbor is a therapist at a hospital here and works with covid patients getting ready for discharge. He says to a person NONE of the people he's worked with RECOVERED from COVID-19, they all just SURVIVED it, because all of them have some issue(s) they didn't have before to deal with (brain/cognition, heart, lung, etc). He thinks that's the message missed by Americans. Regardless of age, you don't recover from COVID-19 - ever. You only survive it.
So, the goal is to do everything within your power to not even risk getting it. Therefore, wear a mask.

I went out today to find people's self interest, disregard for others, and lack of concern for the general good is lacking...severely. I was shaken. I believe in the common resolve. I believe in the good and truth of every man. That belief was rocked to its very core today.

I am officially imposing a 72 hour moment of silence. I wish you all well. As for me, I will be Internet silent for 72 hours.

I am flat out disappointed.

-Thomas

#19730 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No way to know that because we dont know if they are being truthful with their numbers.....heck we dont even know if our own country is being truthful with us or not. The thing is though if "getting it under control" means lockdowns and shutdowns then I am NOT for any of that at all. We must keep our economy strong and I dont want the government telling me that I cant get in my car and go to the store so no thanks on that I'd rather be dead than to lose my freedom.

Then what? Should other people just die so you can remain free to get a haircut? You're not just making that decision for yourself, when you refuse to participate in measures to reduce the spread.

#19731 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

There's a correlation between death rates and economic downturns, that is the more deaths from covid, the more severe the economic downturn, countries like Peru, Spain and the UK. Also, the reverse is also true: countries where the economic impact has been less, like Taiwan, South Korea, and Lithuania – and maybe Australia now that we've had a postive qtr of growth. All these coutries have managed to keep the death rate low per million of popualtion

fun reading can be found here...https://ourworldindata.org/covid-health-economy

#19732 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

your opinion is not reality, it's an opinion only that doesn't line up with facts.

The facts don't always line up with the resulting people's actions.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Singapore 0.5
South Korea 0.9
Japan 1.3
Hong Kong 1.4

You sir, are living in a dream world to think the USA will or can ever become as efficient in this department as any of those countries.

The people in those countries are well educated on how to wear a mask properly, and have the intelligence and will to do so diligently. Not to mention being sanitary.

Of all the people in our country that say wear a mask, I am yet to see a plan on teaching Americans how to do this. Not even a start. All I see is some dicknose standing at a podium.

No sir, it is your opinion that is not reality.

If you want to make it a reality, how about starting a non profit clinic on teaching Americans the oriental way. And see how many pay attention.

#19733 3 years ago
Quoted from stumptown:

Then what? Should other people just die so you can remain free to get a haircut? You're not just making that decision for yourself, when you refuse to participate in measures to reduce the spread.

We are a free country and we need to remain that way at all cost. If you are at risk and don't want to catch this then you need to Stay inside and protect yourself, but other people need to be able to work or whatever else they want to do. I wont name names because i would probably get moderated but just think about some of the clowns that we have running our country. Letting them have the power to lock us inside of our homes and tell us what to do and when to do it would be a disaster and the fall of this country. You better be careful what you wish for. Could you even imagine for one second giving our current speaker oF the house and many many others the power to control us like that? Like i said, i dont want to live in a world like that. That would be downright frightening!

#19734 3 years ago
Quoted from peely:

How good is that news!!! 3 months of hard labor, well it seemed like it stuck in the house within 5k of home within curfew times and not seeing a sole but your immediate family
Comparing to much of Europe now going through their second wave, it seems like the appropriate response to stop transmission.

Bloody great news . Another day of double doughnuts , 0 cases and 0 deaths , in Victoria .
Yesterday Australia had 7 cases mostly from overseas return travellers and knowen clusters .
This time 2 months ago we had the same number of cases as England and France .
It feels like a massive weight has been lifted off our shoulders .
Just goes to show you if you have a proper lockdown with restrictions , and a willing population you can basically eliminate the virus , wow , who would have thought that .

#19735 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

CDC has released some interesting (if incomplete) data on covid related hospitalizations of healthcare workers.
Tl:dr. It’s bad. Especially for nurses.
“fun” tidbits:
6% of all covid hospitalizations have been healthcare workers
10% of those hospitalized had no risk factors. Median age 49.
28% of the hospitalized healthcare workers ended up in icu.

To me, these stats strengthen the argument for mask wearing. By most accounts, the “viral load” received by an individual has a direct correlation to the potential severity of the infection. Medical professionals are the most likely to be exposed to high viral loads.

A mask may not provide 100% protection from C19, but it can help reduce the viral loads being spread, which in turn reduces the overall numbers of severe cases.

#19736 3 years ago

Ha , the Dutch say if numbers don't drop they will shut museums and amusement parks , what a joke .
We learnt the hard way , either do it properly or you'll keep chasing your tail .

#19737 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You sir, are living in a dream world to think the USA will or can ever become as efficient in this department as any of those countries

So, the USA is not as good as other countries?

Quoted from o-din:

The people in those countries are well educated on how to wear a mask properly, and have the intelligence and will to do so diligently. Not to mention being sanitary.

So, Americans are unintelligent, and uneducated To the point that they don’t understand science?

Quoted from o-din:

Of all the people in our country that say wear a mask, I am yet to see a plan on teaching Americans how to do this. Not even a start. All I see is some dicknose standing at a podium.

How much education is required to wear a mask properly? School children here have it figured out.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Total deaths to date per 100k population
---------------------------
Singapore 0.5
South Korea 0.9
Japan 1.3
Hong Kong 1.4
United States 66.9

I though America liked being number 1 in everything.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

We are a free country and we need to remain that way at all cost.

Didn’t the mask restrictions during WW1 and the Spanish flu. And the high tax on wealthy during the war, destroy your country? Why do you think it’s so fragile now? Do you think that this will never pass and that you life will forever be this way?

#19738 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My daughter's been in England now for the last few months and she says there's a bunch of dicknoses over there too, if they are wearing any masks at all.
I guess on the plus side, you can't see their teeth.

The UK isn't doing too well either. Pubs are open and crowded- d'oh. I also notice a lot of mask fatigue i.e. people not bothering.

As for teeth, well we have that reasonably under control nowadays, what with the NHS and free healthcare (ok dentistry not free for a lot of UK people, but certainly relatively cheap). How much does dentistry cost in the US? I daresay a lot of Americans don't go due to your sky high health costs, so perhaps it's time to modify the stereotypes?

Austin Powers is great though

#19739 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you want to make it a reality, how about starting a non profit clinic on teaching Americans the oriental way. And see how many pay attention.

Step 1: don’t call it the oriental way
Step 2:
Step 3: no more dicknose

#19740 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

The UK isn't doing too well either.

If that's any consolation we (the Frenchs) are probably doing even worse.

#19741 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

We are a free country and we need to remain that way at all cost. If you are at risk and don't want to catch this then you need to Stay inside and protect yourself, but other people need to be able to work or whatever else they want to do. I wont name names because i would probably get moderated but just think about some of the clowns that we have running our country. Letting them have the power to lock us inside of our homes and tell us what to do and when to do it would be a disaster and the fall of this country. You better be careful what you wish for. Could you even imagine for one second giving our current speaker oF the house and many many others the power to control us like that? Like i said, i dont want to live in a world like that. That would be downright frightening!

Part of the problem with this logic train: size

I know early on I mentioned this so here is a brief summary: the size of the “at risk” population pool is huge. As in, somewhere around 25-33% of America minimum. That doesn’t factor in risk adjacent people, (caretakers, etc...). You can’t just remove 1/3rd of your population from participating in the economy and expect it to end well.

Letting this thing just burn out is a medieval approach that is as immoral as it is ineffective.

#19742 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You are just not getting the point that most don't or won't wear them correctly including a guy I can't mention here, but he is one of the worst offenders. It's not doing any more good than providing some false sense of security.
I don't go out much, but when I do, I rarely see anybody that is wearing it right.

If everyone wore a mask that completely sealed their respiratory system so a virus could not escape or get in, it would make a difference, but they don't or rarely do.
There are no mask police to enforce it either. Never will be. As long as you have something hanging, that seems to be good enough for the status quo.

I agree with O-din - we need a national mask mandate, stronger messaging from the President on down promoting mask efficacy and usage, educational PSA's via print, online, television media, etc on proper mask wearing, utilize the Defense Production Act to design, manufacture, and distribute better designed and more effective masks free to the public during the entire pandemic until an effective vaccine and treatments are available to all.

#19743 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

we need a national mask mandate, stronger messaging from the President on down promoting mask efficacy and usage

+1, some folks have to be led by example. Such a shame when the senior government officials traipse around all willy nilly like rules of infectious disease don't apply to them or something. How inconsiderate, inconsistent, and hypocrisy.

Insert the for shame bell ringing here.

#19745 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm a little more worried about the ultimate loss of freedom, fucking dying. Or, as someone who's not particularly at risk from COVID, the loss of any kind of economic and social stability because the pandemic burns for a few extra years in the US after the rest of the world has dealt with it because our deification of individual freedom means doing anything in the interest of the common good is seen as a mortal sin by a third of Americans.

That "I want to do whatever the fuck I want, damn the effect it has on other people" conceptualization of freedom, taken to the extremes it has been, directly strips other people of their freedom to go about their life without being recklessly killed by their more short-sighted or selfish countrymen.

#19746 3 years ago

And here's the latest on the vaccine front for those that think that by anyone getting one, it will help prevent the spread.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/fauci-vaccines-will-only-prevent-symptoms-not-block-the-virus-195051568.html

"any inoculations developed now are focused on simply preventing symptoms from arising, rather than killing off the virus altogether."

#19747 3 years ago

And this is bad why?

#19748 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And here's the latest on the vaccine front for those that think that by anyone getting one, it will help prevent the spread.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/fauci-vaccines-will-only-prevent-symptoms-not-block-the-virus-195051568.html
"any inoculations developed now are focused on simply preventing symptoms from arising, rather than killing off the virus altogether."

The primary function of the current vaccines in phase 3 is preventing Covid in an infected individual. It's true they are not focused on preventing spread, but that does not mean they won't prevent spread. Some of the current phase 3 trial vaccines are also tracking whether spread is reduced too. This NYT opinion piece goes into more detail on this important subject:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/opinion/coronavirus-vaccine-prevention.html

Upshot here is a vaccine that does not reduce transmission is only helpful to the person taking the vaccine. It might not promote herd immunity so people that have weakened immune systems, people that cannot (or will not) take the vaccine might not benefit.

#19749 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The facts don't always line up with the resulting people's actions.

You sir, are living in a dream world to think the USA will or can ever become as efficient in this department as any of those countries.

The USA can do anything it sets its mind to with proper leadership. Yes, the educational PSAs have been sorely lacking to completely missing, and the initial plan to send every household in the US a supply of masks via USPS that was cancelled early on this year would have saved SO MANY lives, but these are all things that can happen and will make a difference.

Will we get to 90%+ mask compliance? I doubt it. Can we do 70% compliance with strong leadership, PSAs, mask distribution, and enforcement? Absolutely. The longer people resist masks, the longer this will be dragged out and they and our economy will suffer. We have the model. Asia has shown it works. We just have to have leadership that can press "GO" on the plan to do it well here.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 395 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/395?hl=atrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.