272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 393 of 576.
#19600 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Hi Doctor , sorry to slide off topic a bit but what is the significance of the new membrane discovered in our brains ?

I'm not aware of any new membranes being discovered. There was a new set of glands discovered in the upper pharynx which is near the brain but not part of it. It's more of the microscopic discovery and I don't think will make much difference to how we do anything in medicine. Neat to see though.

Also, Cypress Hill.

#19601 3 years ago

I walked into a restaurant the other day for carry out properly wearing my mask and marveled at the wonderful smells of the food.
It got me wondering, if I can easily smell through he mask, how well is it protecting me from microscopic virus particles........

#19602 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I walked into a restaurant the other day for carry out properly wearing my masked and marveled at the wonderful smells of the food.
It got me wondering, if I can easily smell through he mask, how well is it protecting me from microscopic virus particles........

Masks are less about protecting you and more about protecting other people. Most masks are just doing the job of physically blocking a large % of your spit or mucus droplets from coming out and getting to other people. Also unless you are wearing a carbon filter mask you are probably going to still smell stuff.

#19603 3 years ago

Yeah, masks are about the big particles. With smaller ones, that's more about being in the space for a prolonged time breathing them, that's why they say less than 15 minutes. This is why I won't eat inside at a restaurant and won't go to bars and sit inside. Pickup and outdoor seating is really the only safe way to do it. Same with shopping, I try to time my store runs to 15 minutes or less, but at least there everyone is wearing a mask.

#19604 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I walked into a restaurant the other day for carry out properly wearing my masked and marveled at the wonderful smells of the food.

This is a common misunderstanding. The mask will NOT stop small viral particles. The good news is that it doesn't have to.

COVID viral particles are contained inside of respiratory droplets which are MUCH larger and will be stopped by the mask when you cough. Think of it like a chain link fence. It won't stop a mosquito but if you put that mosquito inside a beach ball it sure will be stopped by the fence.

Also, as has been mentioned above, a surgical mask is not really about protecting you (although it does do this to some extent), it is about protecting others from you. If you have COVID and don't yet have symptoms, the mask will reduce the risk to others of you transmitting COVID to them.

#19605 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Did you just tell someone to be polite while saying you're going to shoot them?

Yes sir! Why not?

#19607 3 years ago

Im just going to leave this mask here.......

Screenshot_20201023-003246~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201023-003246~2 (resized).png
#19608 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

This is a common misunderstanding. The mask will NOT stop small viral particles. The good news is that it doesn't have to.
COVID viral particles are contained inside of respiratory droplets which are MUCH larger and will be stopped by the mask when you cough. Think of it like a chain link fence. It won't stop a mosquito but if you put that mosquito inside a beach ball it sure will be stopped by the fence.
Also, as has been mentioned above, a surgical mask is not really about protecting you (although it does do this to some extent), it is about protecting others from you. If you have COVID and don't yet have symptoms, the mask will reduce the risk to others of you transmitting COVID to them.

But - experts are saying it's airborne
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/experts-say-covid-19-is-airborne-heres-how-you-can-stay-safe

#19609 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Probably because the poster is a habitual downvoter and is getting the favor returned.

Correct .
I know it's childish but it felt good

#19610 3 years ago

There is some evidence that COVID can be airborne, however that does not change the particle sizes that leave your respiratory tract when you cough or sneeze. In addition the laws of physics dictate that the air you exhale when coughing or sneezing will follow the path of least resistance and be vented out the sides of the mask, away from whoever you are facing or speaking to. The droplet dispersion pattern is much better with a mask.

P.S. The article you linked specifically says that mask wearing is one of the recommended ways to protect yourself and others from COVID. Here’s a direct quote:

“Handwashing, physical distancing, and donning a face mask are key safety measures to protect yourself from COVID-19.

Face masks are critical in reducing the risk of spreading or being exposed to the virus via aerosols.

“Since aerosolized droplets (containing viral particles) may remain in poorly ventilated rooms for minutes to several hours, the importance of wearing a mask while indoors should strongly be considered,” Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency physician at the Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. said.”

#19611 3 years ago

Just to repeat. Masks don’t eliminate risk but they help mitigate (lower) the risk. One of the easiest and best ways to mitigate the risk short of complete isolation or wearing a bio-hazard suit in public. Strong evidence supported by how (relatively) few health care workers get it given their Extended high potential for exposure in a hospital Environment. If they did not wear masks where would they (we) be?

Also, ever wonder why N95 masks are not called N100 masks? And surgical masks offer less protection but still a LOT more than nothing.

#19612 3 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Also, ever wonder why N95 masks are not called N100 masks?

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=n-95&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

"An N95 mask or N95 respirator is a particulate-filtering facepiece respirator that meets the U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) N95 classification of air filtration, meaning that it filters at least 95% of airborne particles."

Damn. What about that last 5%?

Now I wonder what the percentage of filtering is for all of the surgical masks that you can now buy almost anywhere.

#19613 3 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Just to repeat. Masks don’t eliminate risk but they help mitigate (lower) the risk. One of the easiest and best ways to mitigate the risk short of complete isolation or wearing a bio-hazard suit in public. Strong evidence supported by how (relatively) few health care workers get it given their Extended high potential for exposure in a hospital Environment. If they did not wear masks where would they (we) be?
Also, ever wonder why N95 masks are not called N100 masks? And surgical masks offer less protection but still a LOT more than nothing.

I think of masks like a seat belt. It won't always save you, but it increases the odds of not being killed or significantly injured to a very significant degree in the event of a collision. And similarly, a roll cage, 5 point belt, and a helmet would be even better. And more importantly the mask protects others, as does a seatbelt when it prevents the occupants from becoming projectiles that could take out the other passengers.

#19614 3 years ago

In late October, 2020, there are still people who don't understand that masks work like this: THey protect you a little, protect others a lot, and protect everybody a lot if everybody wears them.

How is it possible that people still don't understand this? It's been a constant bombardment of this information for 7 months or so.

#19615 3 years ago

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), which has been cited by the White House Coronavirus Task Force said today 511,373 lives could be lost to COVID-19 across the United States by 28 February 2021.

If universal mask use (95% mask use in public) could save an additional 129,574 lives from September 22, 2020 through the end of February 2021. Similarly, if (85% mask use in public) could save an additional 95,814 lives.

http://www.healthdata.org/research-article/modeling-covid-19-scenarios-united-states

#19616 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

In late October, 2020, there are still people who don't understand that masks work like this: THey protect you a little, protect others a lot, and protect everybody a lot if everybody wears them.
How is it possible that people still don't understand this? It's been a constant bombardment of this information for 7 months or so.

Some people don't want to know.

#19617 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Some people don't want to know.

they just don't care or are sociopaths

#19618 3 years ago

A friend of mine was in an Asian country backpacking . He was in a train station when a beggar slid across the floor to him. He died in front of my friend. When he alerted the guards ..they laughed. You can't educate people with no souls.

#19619 3 years ago

Not looking good.

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 11.18.02 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-10-23 at 11.18.02 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 11.18.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-10-23 at 11.18.22 PM (resized).png

#19620 3 years ago

Pandemic vibes:

Screenshot_20201024-000129~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201024-000129~2 (resized).png
#19621 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Correct .
I know it's childish but it felt good

Incorrect actually, if you're assuming habitual downvoter.

Can you not read?!

I'll help you... guy has his standards... not just random or habitual. Respectable reason, supported by the record of his actions.

More than can be said for some posters in here.

I've been downvoted for foul language enough times myself. I can appreciate that, actually. I'm not going to dv without reason either.

You are right, it is pretty childish. Can't say I'm surprised you get some sense of pride in being that way. I mean, check the location.

#19622 3 years ago

Chicago instituted new lock downs last night at midnight, closing restaurants and bars in the city. Chicago has a big uptick in numbers.
The important question is how will this affect pinball manufacturers in the area?
Governor said if numbers dont improve by next friday more lockdowns are coming.

#19623 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Governor said if numbers dont improve by next friday more lockdowns are coming.

They won't. You dont see results from lockdowns for at least 2 weeks

#19624 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Incorrect actually, if you're assuming habitual downvoter.
Can you not read?!
I'll help you... guy has his standards... not just random or habitual. Respectable reason, supported by the record of his actions.
More than can be said for some posters in here.
I've been downvoted for foul language enough times myself. I can appreciate that, actually. I'm not going to dv without reason either.
You are right, it is pretty childish. Can't say I'm surprised you get some sense of pride in being that way.

#19625 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, and there are still a lot of people, including some very public figures, that pretend to wear them, but obviously have no idea how to properly wear them.

Really sad that many are following their example, because wearing a mask that is not completely covering the nose and installed so it stays there, and then putting their hands constantly on the front of it to fix it when it drops totally defeats the purpose to the point where it would probably be safer for everyone around them if they wore no mask at all.

I know I would rather not handle items at the grocery store that they might have touched after fixing their masks over and over again.

#19626 3 years ago

News report from yesterday , Murder hornets are afoot on the Canadian /US border.

#19627 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

News report from yesterday , Murder hornets are afoot on the Canadian /US border.

That’s what you get for Justin Bieber

#19628 3 years ago

It’s time for a national 2 week lockdown. And a real one. Shut everything down. As completely as possible.

Why are we still dicking around with this? It’s crazy. 2-3 week lockdown this would be close to over.

Lets get it together people!

#19629 3 years ago

Murder Hornets? There are good insects on both sides. But, never heard of them.

#19631 3 years ago

Usual degree of thought going into that response by the looks. Someone was probably just pissed (drunk) after the "away" knuckle-dragger Grand Final last night. How dare they hold that nonsense anywhere other than the knuckle-dragger Capital!

Oh and look, a dv for foul language!

#19632 3 years ago

There seems to be a new platform out there, for content providers where they can begin to provide "uncensored" content... "locals.com" ...

Hmmmm ... "algorithms". Interesting to note.

Discrediting whistle-blowers is easy in the information age. Shocking how much one discovers it happening, even epidemiologists. I have seen the fake stories show up on pop-up myself, not this guy though... just claimed/named to be him. Imposter, spewing fringe nonsense online as a defamation exercise.

Of course, I didn't say "unbiased". People still have to use their own critical thinking to identify rubbish. But, at least some of the more important information might not always just get suppressed or hidden from consideration, by some monopolistic commercial algorithm.

Same algorithm used to propagate (and send viral) some of the kooky bunk nonsense, helping to discourage anyone rational asking the reasonable but out of line questions. Baby gets thrown out with the bathwater.

#19633 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

So it seems like the price of honey has the potential to blow out, going forward...

What about how the Japanese bees take out the Hornets on mass... impressive defense mechanism.

#19634 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

..... the mask will reduce the risk to others of you transmitting COVID to them.

(edited)

#19635 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

A friend of mine was in an Asian country backpacking . He was in a train station when a beggar slid across the floor to him. He died in front of my friend. When he alerted the guards ..they laughed. You can't educate people with no souls.

So, what's your point here? A couple of people in an "Asian" country laughed at a beggar's unfortunate death, according to your friend. So, Asia (48 countries) is entirely populated by people with "no souls"?

#19636 3 years ago

Deleted. Just not going to make the effort.

Have fun guys, I'm outta here for a while.

#19637 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s time for a national 2 week lockdown. And a real one. Shut everything down. As completely as possible.

It's been like that here for 7 months now and nothing's changed. Except a bunch of empty streets and businesses. And, of course, just delaying the inevitable.

Couldn't scare it away or starve it. At this point, it looks like it's going to do what it's going to do until it's done doing it.

#19638 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Yep, right here in Seattle actually... my partner is into pinning and displaying dead bugs and got her murder hornet kit this week. This thing is big!

mh (resized).jpgmh (resized).jpg
#19639 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why are we still dicking around with this? It’s crazy. 2-3 week lockdown this would be close to over.

I went to the hardware store today and drove through a busy city area of Seattle. There were lots of people out, but everyone was wearing a mask. Hundreds of people and no one I saw didn't have a mask on. But then, when I've been in Eastern California or rural West Coast towns, it's not like that at all. I don't get it, if we all wear masks and stay home for a few weeks, we mostly end this thing. But Americans are so selfish, they are willing to drag it out and destroy the economy and have a lot more people die.

#19640 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Yep, right here in Seattle actually... my partner is into pinning and displaying dead bugs and got her murder hornet kit this week. This thing is big!
[quoted image]

Murder hornet kit....i simply had no idea...

#19641 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

bull butter! Social distancing number 1. Washing your hands number 2. Masks are good number 3! If you believe anything else you are a moron!

#19642 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I went to the hardware store today and drove through a busy city area of Seattle. There were lots of people out, but everyone was wearing a mask. Hundreds of people and no one I saw didn't have a mask on. But then, when I've been in Eastern California or rural West Coast towns, it's not like that at all. I don't get it, if we all wear masks and stay home for a few weeks, we mostly end this thing. But Americans are so selfish, they are willing to drag it out and destroy the economy and have a lot more people die.

I'd say about only 50% of people here in SC are wearing masks. It's mostly middle aged or older white people not wearing them too.

#19643 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'd say about only 50% of people here in SC are wearing masks. It's mostly middle aged or older white people not wearing them too.

I travel a bit for work, and it always seems to be the elderly who don’t wear masks.

#19644 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I travel a bit for work, and it always seems to be the elderly who don’t wear masks.

I wonder if they feel it makes it hard to breathe? I will be the first to admit that it makes it more difficult. I have a job that requires me to wear it 9 hours straight. I had to do some very strenuous work the other day, and I had to step out to take a breather.

#19645 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's been like that here for 7 months now and nothing's changed. Except a bunch of empty streets and businesses. And, of course, just delaying the inevitable.
Couldn't scare it away or starve it. At this point, it looks like it's going to do what it's going to do until it's done doing it.

This 100%! This is why Odin is voice of reason on pinside.

#19646 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That would just slow the spread! Won't be over until there's a vaccine.

#19647 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I am sure you meant the Virus ("novel" coronavirus), not "COVID". Benefit of the doubt.
People transmit and contract the VIRUS.
For some people having the virus does not effectively cause the "coronavirus Disease" (coviD).... depending on their Resistance to the effects of the virus.
You do Not "transmit" COVID (disease), you transmit CV19 (Virus). That at least should be made clear to start with.

You are criticizing the "chicken or egg first" semantics of the terminology used by a Medical Doctor who is very competent at clearly communicating information in layman's terms for the benefit of the community, when your posts are simultaneously intentionally and unintentionally the least understandable psychobabble imaginable... Reading your posts feels like dropping Acid in High School and peaking during a Haiku class with a teacher who is having a stroke...

It's literally like O.Henry and Allanis Morissette had a baby and named it your exact post...

#19649 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

that is funny....you keep saying how everyone is out like nothing is going on...BUT...it is all locked down...
Which is it?

I support a full lockdown for 2 weeks and a national mask mandate through the end of the year at least.
I really want to get back to work....but the live music industry is now shut down through the first quarter of 2021.
Time for the billionaires to pay their 50% of quarantine profits. Then we can afford this.....2 weeks shut down, Amazon pays!

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 393 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/393?hl=rezdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.