272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 392 of 576.
#19550 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Nice - we still have 'both sides' arguments being made.
If anything - the article didn't place enough blame on the current administration that is currently in charge of pandemic response. If you think, "hey, we did a great/good/ok/acceptable job" - then perhaps a bias has clouded comprehension of the situation?
If I perform poorly on an important task - I don't look around and find other poor performers to commiserate with, compare myself to and make excuses or blame the task. I look around to see if anyone did better and if that is the case, then the task was not the problem - it was definitely me.
How did professional grievance, blame placing, projection, responsibility dodging, and pouty disgruntlement come into such fashion lately?

Well said RTR

#19551 3 years ago

Well, here we go again in PA:
https://www.abc27.com/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-pennsylvania/coronavirus-in-pennsylvania-1557-new-cases-184872-total/
One of the highest numbers since months ago.
All thanks to the good old boys inside at Lowes and Texas Road House and elsewhere, with no masks.

#19552 3 years ago

So when the first wave hit, there was political blame on Democrat Cities.
The second wave, where we are now is larger, and in other cities, but the blame is the same, or it is "going away" or " just around the corner".
One must understand unless this mutates, or our vaccines do wonders, we will have 3rd, and 4th waves.
We do not know when this will get better as historical pandemics handled without science and medicine...
...herd immunity.....it can be years and even decades.
I try to be a realist, and even an optimist.
But I won't bet on the uncoordinated direction we are in.

#19553 3 years ago

North and South Dakota are off the rails...

Screenshot_20201020-174852_Washington Post (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201020-174852_Washington Post (resized).jpg

#19554 3 years ago

The good news: COVID death rates are dropping across all age groups.

The bad news: The researchers think it’s a combination of improved treatments, masking, social distancing reducing initial viral load and younger age patients in general due to older folks staying home.

So, no change in policy on the horizon based on this study.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/10/20/925441975/studies-point-to-big-drop-in-covid-19-death-rates

#19555 3 years ago

"As of 3:00 pm October 20, 2020, Dallas County Health and Human Services is reporting 510 additional positive cases of 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Dallas County for a cumulative total of 90,790 confirmed cases (PCR test), including 1,089 confirmed deaths. There are 38 additional probable cases (antigen test) to report today for a total of 4,669 probable cases including 13 probable deaths. Of the 472 confirmed cases we are reporting today, 268 came through the Texas Department of State Health Services’ (DSHS) electronic laboratory reporting (ELR) system, and all are from October."

Me: we are now seeing many hundreds of new cases each day, unfortunately.

#19556 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

in general due to older folks staying home.

BINGO!

I am old enough that I am staying at home as much as I can.

A client wanted me on a job today, and I said no, I do not feel well, not available.

I am staying put as much as I can, until I see how this all goes along with the flu season.

I do not want to catch or spread any of this mess.

And saving a lot of money living like this, so no need for jobs that others may not be so careful anyway.

I will still take a job if in the country and away from everyone.

#19557 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Lol , it was Australia's highest selling single for years .
Goes to show you how culturally diverse Australia is .
Also comes in handy when you can't be bothered responding to dick heads

Or it's what you use because what someone is saying doesn't line up with your "understanding" or cant comprehend, but kinda makes sense and so can't make a rational argument either, so just go into throwing insults mode instead of using some reason and general consideration.

If you post stuff it is there to be quoted. You can retract it if you want? Lol ... being flippant and can't make up your mind what to believe or whatever . You put yourself in it, don't blame me for your wishy-washy. I'll make sure to quote your Entire Post in along with the other next time your posts are supporting what I was saying, instead of just mentioning it, ok.

Calling people silly names and being rude, instead of reasonable responses, says more about the speaker than whoever is on the receiving end.

Instead of posting your simple mumbo jumbo maybe you could have just followed your own advice? ... because I certainly won't! lol

#19558 3 years ago

Multiple news outlets are reporting today that this years death rate in USA is 300 000 higher the previous years. If covid has only killed 217 000, where did the other 80 000 deaths come from?

Could this be worse then reported?

#19559 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Multiple news outlets are reporting today that this years death rate in USA is 300 000 higher the previous years. If covid has only killed 217 000, where did the other 80 000 deaths come from?

Makes sense. There was a study published several weeks ago comparing total deaths toll in various countries with official covid-deaths. There was at that time a near perfect match for Belgium for example (+/- a few %) - as far as I remember, US were underestimating the real toll from Covid by 25%. Mismatch was higher for other countries. It can come from people having multiple aggravating factors, whether or not you need a positive PCR test to be counted as a covid-death, etc.

And that's not even taking into account that the lockdown led to a decrease in car accidents, violent aggressions, other transmittable pathologies. But it also led people to postpone important medical checkups or surgeries that would lead in turn to an increased mortality... So the assumption that this total "abnormal" death rate corresponds to Covid is an approximation. But a relatively accurate one.

#19560 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Or it's what you use because what someone is saying doesn't line up with your "understanding" or cant comprehend, but kinda makes sense and so can't make a rational argument either, so just go into throwing insults mode instead of using some reason and general consideration.
If you post stuff it is there to be quoted. You can retract it if you want? Lol ... being flippant and can't make up your mind what to believe or whatever . You put yourself in it, don't blame me for your wishy-washy. I'll make sure to quote your Entire Post in along with the other next time your posts are supporting what I was saying, instead of just mentioning it, ok.
Calling people silly names and being rude, instead of reasonable responses, says more about the speaker than whoever is on the receiving end.
Instead of posting your simple mumbo jumbo maybe you could have just followed your own advice? ... because I certainly won't! lol

#19561 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

"As of 3:00 pm October 20, 2020, Dallas County Health and Human Services is reporting 510 additional positive cases of 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Dallas County for a cumulative total of 90,790 confirmed cases (PCR test), including 1,089 confirmed deaths. There are 38 additional probable cases (antigen test) to report today for a total of 4,669 probable cases including 13 probable deaths. Of the 472 confirmed cases we are reporting today, 268 came through the Texas Department of State Health Services’ (DSHS) electronic laboratory reporting (ELR) system, and all are from October."
Me: we are now seeing many hundreds of new cases each day, unfortunately.

Parkland's Red Box Unit has seen a tripling of the number of COVID cases admitted in the past 3 weeks. The director said yesterday that, since we lag 2 weeks on hospitalizations, we are likely already almost back to where we were at our worst and that we are in the middle of a second, bigger spike currently. We just don't know it yet.

#19562 3 years ago

The bad news: The researchers think it’s a combination of improved treatments, masking, social distancing reducing initial viral load and younger age patients in general due to older folks staying home.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/10/20/925441975/studies-point-to-big-drop-in-covid-19-death-rates

Doc, Can long term effects be permanent? If so,
That's really bad news considering it's possible to be re infected again and again ?

#19563 3 years ago
Screenshot_20201021-095504~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201021-095504~2 (resized).png
#19564 3 years ago

It's a shame our childhood did not teach us how to spell.

#19565 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Doc, Can long term effects be permanent? If so,
That's really bad news considering it's possible to be re infected again and again ?

It’s not clear what the long term effects of COVID are and whether they would be permanent. Time will tell.

#19566 3 years ago
#19568 3 years ago

I wish it was because the virus was mutating and becoming less dangerous, but we have not really had any evidence of that it seems.

#19569 3 years ago

It probably is mostly Covid, but I would bet suicide rates are up because of the economy and so many people out of work, also drug ODs. I have to think flu deaths are massively down, another benefit of the social distancing and masks, most people haven't had a cold or flu since March.

#19570 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I wish it was because the virus was mutating and becoming less dangerous, but we have not really had any evidence of that it seems.

It may well mutate over time into less virulent forms but that may take years to happen.

#19571 3 years ago

https://apple.news/A7vO9qAACTk--1wT9aSmGYQ

These 5 factors might make it more likely you suffer a “long covid”

The King's researchers found that while most people with Covid reported being back to normal in 11 days or less, around 1 in 7 (13.3%, 558 users) had symptoms lasting for at least four weeks, with around 1 in 20 (4.5%, 189 users) staying ill for eight weeks and 1 in 50 (2.3%, 95 users) suffering for longer than 12 weeks.

#19572 3 years ago

The source articles go over some of the theories. Examples they gave are like sick people/heart attack victims being less willing to call 911 or go to the hospital because of covid risk. I know suicides are certainly up compared to previous years.

What is also interesting is things like auto accident deaths are way down, which means the 300,000 increase in net deaths is even worse when you factor the reduction in other causes.

#19573 3 years ago

But the deaths aren't mutually exclusive. In a transitive way, this virus contributed to the reduction of some forms of death, like car accidents.

#19574 3 years ago

If you get antibodies from a treatment (plasma) instead of your own body generating them, how does your immunity differ?

The president claims he's now "immune", but he received Regeneron and the antibodies in his system may be from the therapy and not his own.

#19575 3 years ago
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 4.29.29 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-10-21 at 4.29.29 PM (resized).png
#19576 3 years ago

Is it just me, or does that guy in the last image look like he is emptying a VERY full tank? That or having a VERY good time?

#19577 3 years ago

I think I will just start posting this instead of launching my own counter argument to the deniers. It pretty much says everything I would say anyway.

https://richardgillett.medium.com/nails-in-the-coffin-of-covid-denial-3f436e92feda

#19578 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

If you get antibodies from a treatment (plasma) instead of your own body generating them, how does your immunity differ?
The president claims he's now "immune", but he received Regeneron and the antibodies in his system may be from the therapy and not his own.

Antibodies that are not your own don’t last long and don’t confer any immunity over time. You have to make your own antibody producing cells for that.

#19579 3 years ago

That is a little better, given the subject matter of the topic.

Fitting for quite a few in this thread really.

#19580 3 years ago

Some of the stuff in here probably pretty questionable. But, some good points on science and reporting around cv19, none the less... it can be hard to judge what is legit these days.

I couldn't agree with all of it... and overlooking important points as well.

#19581 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Resistance though in any case, no immunity.

#19582 3 years ago

Social distancing on the farm...

Cow (resized).jpgCow (resized).jpg
#19583 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Is it just me, or does that guy in the last image look like he is emptying a VERY full tank? That or having a VERY good time?

That's Jeffrey Toobin on a zoom call

#19584 3 years ago

A downvote, really?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#19585 3 years ago

It's frustrating that the US is still in such bad shape in regards to controlling the virus and that the numbers are getting worse going into the fall. Some people treat being told to wear a mask to the Revolutionary War with their freedom being taken away, ridiculous.

My mom is going in for a pretty major surgery next week and her doctor had one piece of advice for her to follow until then..."stay healthy". She was already in the hospital last month and the policy at the hospital is 1 visitor per day, not one at a time, 1 and that's it. Prior to September the hospital wasn't allowing any visitors. My dad and I have had to tell people not to come over and visit her to reduce the chance of her getting sick prior to the surgery, same goes for me who has a cold right now. It's interesting how this pandemic has changed how we would regularly do things.

#19586 3 years ago

Antibodies that are not your own don’t last long and don’t confer any immunity over time. You have to make your own antibody producing cells for that.

Hi Doctor , sorry to slide off topic a bit but what is the significance of the new membrane discovered in our brains ?

#19587 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Hi Doctor , sorry to slide off topic a bit but what is the significance of the new membrane discovered in our brains ?

Not sure this is new, I think Cypress Hill talked about this in 1993.

#19588 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

It's probably the one that goes insane.

#19589 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

A downvote, really?[quoted image]

Probably because the poster is a habitual downvoter and is getting the favor returned.

#19590 3 years ago

Habitual downvoter -- No.

Downvoter of offensive language -- Yes.

Interpret as you wish...

#19591 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Not sure this is new, I think Cypress Hill talked about this in 1993.

I knew that was coming and thank you for posting the video!!

#19592 3 years ago

Always loved this song!

#19593 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Always loved that tune! An ode to my in laws

#19594 3 years ago
Screenshot_20201022-123858~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201022-123858~2 (resized).png
#19595 3 years ago

He will kick its ass for sure!

#19596 3 years ago

Somewhat Covid related.
Finally got my federal income tax refund, direct deposited today.
I filed my return manually hardcopy, and mailed it into IRS on March 11 2020.
Just before the shutdown.
IRS offices did not open up again until Aug 1st.
They did pay me some accrued interest though on what i was expecting,
I guess for holding my refund for so long.

Very glad I got it, as my property taxes are due in 3 weeks.
In one hand and out the other.

#19597 3 years ago
Quoted from JimWilks:

Downvoter of offensive language -- Yes.

We're in the serious section. If now isn't the time to use a few expletives when is?

#19598 3 years ago

CNN posted this story about a customer and mask wearing but then did not have the balls to post the video.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/21/us/starbucks-trump-supporter-trnd/index.html

You Tube has it on file.

It's a hoax, I tell you ! Its a hoax. Just ask the dog.

Meanwhile, back to our regularly scheduled program: 227,773 people have died because of a hoax.

#19599 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

this story about a customer and mask wearing

Why can't the karma train pull into the station and pick up these people?

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 392 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/392 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.