272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 390 of 576.
#19450 3 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

Actually age seems to be the biggest factor.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html#ageg1
If that doesn't open to a chart by age scroll down to "Age Group Data Table".

Those statistics don't mention anything about weight groups that I can see. So it really doesn't disprove the hypothesis I made.

Is it possible that a high percentage of those in the age groups of the highest risk are also obese?

As far as age group comparison, some age groups have far fewer people than others to begin with.

#19451 3 years ago

Perhaps too soon to get an actual tally on covid but,

"61% of individuals who died from H1N1 in 2009 had a BMI ≥304,c"

https://www.rethinkobesity.com/content/dam/novonordisk/rethinkobesity/patient-materials/documents/US20OB00096_COVID-19%20HCP%20Factsheet_Digital_Final.pdf

And-

"Patients with severe obesity appear to be highly represented in the severe COVID‐19 disease population."

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.22866

There are quite a few articles on the subject, but the actual numbers at this point appear to still be a work in progress.

#19452 3 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

Last I checked the median age for infection (positive test) was 36, but the media age of COVID-19 death was 83. This is one of the main problems with COVID, it's really TWO diseases depending on whether you are under or over 65.

The only person I know personally who died from COVID was well into her 80s. She was always thin as a rail!

People are still dying and it’s still sad. Even if many (most?) of the victims are old and/or fat. Our lack of dealing with this responsibly seems directly tied into our complete lack of empathy as a country. Hopefully that changes soon.

C67F3677-AA8A-48BA-98DA-4648F21C1F5E (resized).jpegC67F3677-AA8A-48BA-98DA-4648F21C1F5E (resized).jpeg

#19453 3 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

Last I checked the median age for infection (positive test) was 36, but the media age of COVID-19 death was 83. This is one of the main problems with COVID, it's really TWO diseases depending on whether you are under or over 65.

I agree with the others that poor health seems to be the biggest factor. Why else do some carriers who are 100 fight it away like a mallee bull as we've seen here, while some unhealthy or with conditions young people don't survive it.

It's painting a picture about how effective health care systems (and public health policies) have been in the years leading up, in various countries.

Not saying age isn't a factor, just that fitness and health seems to be having a bigger impact.

#19454 3 years ago

You can't make this stuff up. Today's ask the doctor question-

"We are a big family and we live in a big house. Is there anyway to safely hold a big Thanksgiving dinner with our big extended family"

Remember, I'm just the messenger.

#19455 3 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

I should have been more clear. My calculations were with respect to herd immunity. Herd immunity assumes that everyone is infected. Well, nearly everyone since the spread stops once a large percentage of the population has had COVID. The spread stops only because your odds of close contact with an infected person get small.
My "pinside member" numbers were an attempt to make the problem more relatable. You are correct in that they only hold if everyone is infected. In the herd immunity scenario it would only infect about 60% of them, so only 6-17 would die.

OMG!! Really! Lol

For the final time getting infected does Not give you Immunity!!!

It gives you some degree of (insignificant to substantial) resistance. You keep catching it, and are Not going to be immune at all. Resistance also wears off in time, so needs to perpetuate for it to continue.

If a vaccine could work (which is doubtful), almost everyone is immune and almost nobody gets infected.

That post there is so riddled with confusion, go, put the cart before the horse then. Give the cart square wheels too while you're at it hey. Lol

Something is awry with the reasoning behind what you're saying, if you think contracting cv19 can make you "immune" to it.

It isn't your fault really, I guess. To be fair, there is that guy standing at a lectern on TV, parroting out all kinds of random word junk, just to help everyone get more baffled and bewildered about cv19.

#19456 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

So I read the article and saw:
“ Only an old steroid - dexamethasone - has proven life-saving.”
Wonder why we aren’t hearing more of that then?
I mean, it sounds like they are trying to look for the silver bullet and calling everything else worthless. Understanding that this steroid has likely been around long before Covid and isn’t meant to treat it but if it’s worth a shot....

When a treatment proves successful, "organisations" fixate on the words "silver bullet" ... and say there is No silver bullet!. Meanwhile, Dr's trying to share their early treatments that proved successful, needs to resort to dubious snake oil like catch cries such as "silver bullet" to get any "coverage", or be heard at all... in the noise.

Some countries treat an infection before symptoms become serious, some don't. Timing seems to be critical. Prevention. It is reflected in the worldwide variations. Ignoring already proven safe treatments is not smart, neither is throwing untested lab experiments out into the world.

#19457 3 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Heard about reinfections in at least 3 people which was interesting and wondered if it is mutating or that they just had lost the antibodies that had created against it the first time. Also heard blood type could be a key in if you have a greater percentage in getting it. I hope they have some new information on this in the coming weeks.

Reinfected, but asymptomatic.

Not immune. Resistant.

Not resistant regarding CV19 virus Infection (so not immune), but resistant to covid (disease) Effects, or impacts of having the virus. Also infecting others with CV19. Hopefully they are resistant too. Healthy?

Reinfection, no problem if you don't get severe symptoms ... ie. symptoms keep reducing in severity.

Long time without infection. May return back to more severity?.

Immunity, keep that word for when talking about Vaccines, which should stop you catching and spreading it (without negatively affecting you) if successful.

#19458 3 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

I should have been more clear. My calculations were with respect to herd immunity. Herd immunity assumes that everyone is infected. Well, nearly everyone since the spread stops once a large percentage of the population has had COVID. The spread stops only because your odds of close contact with an infected person get small.
My "pinside member" numbers were an attempt to make the problem more relatable. You are correct in that they only hold if everyone is infected. In the herd immunity scenario it would only infect about 60% of them, so only 6-17 would die.

Considering nobody has reliable numbers (in my opinion) I think we are both probably blindfolded knife throwers at best!

I see your position now. Thanks for the clarification.

#19459 3 years ago

I went to Harbor Freight this morning to get an ultrasonic cleaner (for pinball parts cleaning). I guess the mental giants must flock to that place. I counted a total of 15 people in the store at the time I was there. Myself and only two other people were not dick nosing.
Mandated masks or not, you can't fix stupid.

#19460 3 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

The people from Indianapolis have started coming to the doughnut counties for the bars.

One local restaurant chain here (2 or 3 locations) have started checking ID with your reservation. If you live more then 15km away they won’t serve you. If your on the border you have to call first and make special arrangements.

#19461 3 years ago

This immunity vs resistance stuff is incorrect.

#19462 3 years ago

Bad faith arguments seem to be a major symptom of Covid.

#19463 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps too soon to get an actual tally on covid but,
"61% of individuals who died from H1N1 in 2009 had a BMI ≥304,c"
https://www.rethinkobesity.com/content/dam/novonordisk/rethinkobesity/patient-materials/documents/US20OB00096_COVID-19%20HCP%20Factsheet_Digital_Final.pdf
And-
"Patients with severe obesity appear to be highly represented in the severe COVID‐19 disease population."
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.22866
There are quite a few articles on the subject, but the actual numbers at this point appear to still be a work in progress.

I believe the greater point they're trying to make, but it's good to understand what the numbers mean. https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

In the US, about 42.4% of our population is obese. The link you posted mentions that 41.7% of people hospitalized for COVID19 are obese. It appears having a healthier weight has no bearing on needing to be hospitalized or not.

#19464 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People are still dying and it’s still sad. Even if many (most?) of the victims are old and/or fat

The senior population is getting hit really hard right now. I can't paste the exact data because it's confidential but occupancy percentages at long term care facilities are down double digits across the country (independent living, memory care, assisted living, etc...). That drop is not healthy people moving out.

Please, please, please take precautions to slow the spread of this disease. I'm begging all of you.

For those of you that are taking precautions already, thank you and keep up the good work.

#19465 3 years ago

Dreaming up ways to control other people's opinions and actions then getting bent out of shape and hurling insults when they don't do what you want them to seems to be a major symptom of covid.

#19466 3 years ago

I just talked to my neighbor who is an undertaker or funeral director if you will, and he confirmed that most of the covid deaths he has dealt with are very overweight people of all age groups.

#19467 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just talked to my neighbor who is an undertaker or funeral director if you will, and he confirmed that most of the covid deaths he has dealt with are very overweight people of all age groups.

Does he look like this?:

Screenshot_20201017-121005~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201017-121005~2 (resized).png
#19468 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Does he look like this?

Not exactly. lol.

He used to be a little chunky himself, but amazingly has lost serious weight over the last 8 months and is pretty thin now. Might be a result of seeing this shit firsthand day after day.

#19469 3 years ago

7 months in. I work construction. Theres an electrician on my job takes pictures of guys without masks. Tries to get them fired or suspended. Ironically, he gets covid and kicked off the job. Love it. I see a lot of people expecting to people to wear masks. I say wear it if you want . and leave me alone if my lack of a mask kills your grandma, too bad

#19470 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

7 months in. I work construction. Theres an electrician on my job takes pictures of guys without masks. Tries to get them fired or suspended. Ironically, he gets covid and kicked off the job. Love it. I see a lot of people expecting to people to wear masks. I say wear it if you want . and leave me alone if my lack of a mask kills your grandma, too bad

America, 2020: “fuck you! And your grandma too, that useless old bag!!”

Surprised it’s not anybody’s campaign slogan

#19471 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

the observations of an emotionally stunted human being......its takes all types I guess.

#19472 3 years ago

The hit dog always hollers.

#19474 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

that most of the covid deaths

"most" offers up a wide range of possibilities.

#19475 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

and leave me alone if my lack of a mask kills your grandma, too bad

G.F.Y.

#19476 3 years ago

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

#19477 3 years ago

If the COVID keeps you up at night, wait until all of the money we having been spending comes back to bite us in the ass.

" "The only other time debt has exceeded the size of the economy was at the end of World War II -- and we ran years of mostly balanced budgets afterward to bring it back down," CRFB president Maya MacGuineas said. "We should be borrowing now, but once the economy recovers, our debt cannot continue to grow faster than the economy forever."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/economy/deficit-debt-treasury-2020/index.html

Does anybody think we have any politicians left who could work on balancing the budget?

#19478 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

and leave me alone if my lack of a mask kills your grandma, too bad

I wish everyone that lacked any moral compass or compassion so easily identified themselves.

#19479 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

I'm with you bro. Most have no idea how hard you work. They just sit in their cozy little houses built by you and complain anyway.

I told my boss today, I am ready to go back to work as soon as Disneyland reopens or I don't have to wear a mask, whichever comes first. I may have to check to see if there is some kind of mask regulation in my county to speed up the process. If people come in that don't want some infected dicknose helping them, then they have come to the right place.

#19480 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

"most" offers up a wide range of possibilities.

Fat people. Super fat people. What part of that don't you get?

Once all the fat people are dead, it will be slim pickings for this virus.

#19481 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

.... I say wear it if you want . and leave me alone if my lack of a mask kills your grandma, too bad

C'mon now guys!

That bit from cnuts13 is out of line, and it may be fair for cottonm4 to reply that way. I might say GFY too!

But, cnuts is using unlikely assumptions that have unreasonable favor, from in here. Like "... IF my lack of a mask kills..." ... No, not "if", Grandma will die of cv19 infection that she will get, or not die, depending on Health and factors such as Obesity or Underlying Existing Conditions. Extremely unlikely cnuts will impact the death of a grandma by wearing a mask or not. First part of cnuts being out of line is assuming his mask wearing would have some massive impact on preventing grandmas infection, or how a grandmas body might deal with cv19. It isn't even really an "IF", or close to it.

No it wouldn't be right to "not care" about killing, Anyone!. Point is, he Is Not wantonly killing anyone. Covid and Poor Health is what is killing grandmas. It is doing that because (all, group, not just cnuts) people cant stop spreading it, and not all are fit and healthy. It is highly infectious after all, and as screaminr suggested with his post the other day, alot of medicos IN FULL GEAR still contracted it anyway as well.

Back someone into a false corner, and they may well have a go!

So it's out there, killing only a few, those with ill health, obesity, or underlying conditions. That's all. Yes it is a tragic part of life. Death.

So, assumptions vs assumptions. Negativity breeds negativity. Bad information allows for division. More Division means more conflict, more abuse and hostility. Then return hostility...

Just .... take some breaths and everyone try to be respectful as we can! ... Please!

#19483 3 years ago

Covid is a strange beast indeed. Here is a direct group text quote from a personal friend of mine who tested positive for covid:

"Yall are making this seem so much worse than it really is! I just played a full round of Golf. I feel fine, i just cant smell or taste anything."

Good on him. I'm glad he is feeling somewhat decent. I didn't accept an invitation to play with him, however.

#19484 3 years ago

If I were a dicknose,

yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum

all day long I'd dicknose biddy bum,

If I were a dicknose man!

#19485 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

C'mon now guys!
That bit from cnuts13 is out of line, and it may be fair for cottonm4 to reply that way. I might say GFY too!
But, cnuts is using unlikely assumptions that have unreasonable favor, from in here. Like "... IF my lack of a mask kills..." ... No, not "if", Grandma will die of cv19 infection that she will get, or not die, depending on Health and factors such as Obesity or Underlying Existing Conditions. Extremely unlikely cnuts will impact the death of a grandma by wearing a mask or not. First part of cnuts being out of line is assuming his mask wearing would have some massive impact on preventing grandmas infection, or how a grandmas body might deal with cv19. It isn't even really an "IF", or close to it.
No it wouldn't be right to "not care" about killing, Anyone!. Point is, he Is Not wantonly killing anyone. Covid and Poor Health is what is killing grandmas. It is doing that because (all, group, not just cnuts) people cant stop spreading it, and not all are fit and healthy. It is highly infectious after all, and as screaminr suggested with his post the other day, alot of medicos IN FULL GEAR still contracted it anyway as well.
Back someone into a false corner, and they may well have a go!
So it's out there, killing only a few, those with ill health, obesity, or underlying conditions. That's all. Yes it is a tragic part of life. Death.
So, assumptions vs assumptions. Negativity breeds negativity. Bad information allows for division. More Division means more conflict, more abuse and hostility. Then return hostility...
Just .... take some breaths and everyone try to be respectful as we can! ... Please!

Don't try to involve me in your defence of what that miserable sack of crap said .
What type of person doesn't care if they spread a virus to someone and they die ?
And you upvoted what he said .
It's heartless pricks like this making it worse for everyone .

#19486 3 years ago

Alex Jones told me that covid-21, which is covid -19 meaner cousin will be worse. No more masks though. To prevent the spread, all the government worshippers will be required to wear pink dildos on their heads. I wonder if the mask worshippers will comply? Or is the dildo just too much

#19487 3 years ago

Wtf happened here? This thread used to be who-day and his gun buddy spewing all kinds of crap and everyone responding to it. Now it's O-din?

Can daditude go back to posting funny cartoons? At least they were worth a laugh. This is just a sad, bitching about my rights thread and nothing informative or funny anymore.

#19488 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Covid is a strange beast indeed. Here is a direct group text quote from a personal friend of mine who tested positive for covid:
"Yall are making this seem so much worse than it really is! I just played a full round of Golf. I feel fine, i just cant smell or taste anything."
Good on him. I'm glad he is feeling somewhat decent. I didn't accept an invitation to play with him, however.

It's no big deal for most people but for others it's a death sentence. He doesn't speak for everyone and people like that piss me off just as bad as the doom and gloomers.

One of my girlfriends daughters is constantly shaming her for not going to baby showers, birthday parties and stuff like that and I'm getting ready to light her ass up if she doesnt stfu about it. The worst part about it is shes a damn school teacher and a very smart person and should know better.

She's really going to be pissed off when we dont attend Thanksgiving and Christmas this year but ask me if I give a phuk?

#19489 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Fat people. Super fat people. What part of that don't you get?
Once all the fat people are dead, it will be slim pickings for this virus.

There are a few threads on the running reddit sub about people who had it and how they are doing after. People who were in very good shape and having a real tough time coming back. I know young people who were in great shape having real trouble recovering. Who knows what the long term damage is really going to be. You don’t want this, even if you are in amazing shape.

#19490 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

What a weird way of taking out your frustrations that cat calling is no longer an accepted thing. At least you have The Matrix 4 to look forward to.

#19491 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Wtf happened here? This thread used to be who-day and his gun buddy spewing all kinds of crap and everyone responding to it. Now it's O-din?
Can daditude go back to posting funny cartoons? At least they were worth a laugh. This is just a sad, bitching about my rights thread and nothing informative or funny anymore.

Screenshot_20201018-090722~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201018-090722~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201018-090908~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201018-090908~2 (resized).png
#19492 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Don't try to involve me in your defence of what that miserable sack of crap said .
What type of person doesn't care if they spread a virus to someone and they die ?
And you upvoted what he said .
It's heartless pricks like this making it worse for everyone .

Your post supported the argument man. People get infected despite extreme PPE.

Your heartless accusations are purely subjective. You shouldn't be so judgmental about people you wouldn't know from a bar of soap. You've dropped to a new low mate.

People refusing to inform themselves thoroughly, is what is ultimately most heartless imho.

It is what it is, and most appear to care more about things that are actually unimportant, irrelevant, or bunk. Just because?

A few victorians there still irrationally supporting that crazy premier... you got Stockholm syndrome man...

#19493 3 years ago

The simple fact is that this is not black and white and a lot of overthinking is going on. Social distancing along with hand washing, sanitizing public areas and wearing masks are our first line of defense when you have to go out in public. This strategy definitely helps a lot, but nowhere close to 100% effective. You can get infected while practicing perfect mask wearing and hygiene and you and also spread it while doing the same. Conversely you can also take your chances and walk around wantonly with no mask and by simple dumb luck avoid ever getting infected. It is literally a crap shoot. The virus is tiny and gets carried randomly along with air movement in a room. One person could get a huge dose while another five feet away could get nothing. Basically I am saying not to read more to this than is actually there.

Masks and social distancing are the best we have until the vaccine(s) come out early next year. Though most of the masks people are wearing are not very effective or properly donned, they are better than nothing and definitely worth wearing in public. They help contain coughing and remind us not to touch our mouths and noses in public. Even if you don't think masks do anything, you should still wear one as a courtesy to others around you...and who knows, it might actually save your life or someone around you. Being a crap shoot, you can always roll snake eyes when you least expect it.

Personally I am very uncomfortable wearing a mask, but do so anyway whenever in public. The good side of this it that it actually keeps me from going out to crowded places as much as I normally would. For instance, I would rather order my groceries for home delivery than go to the store and wear a mask the whole time! My Amazon orders have gone way up and I am now a Sams Plus member to get free delivery. I'm also getting back into golf and other outside activities that don't require a mask all the time.

#19494 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I were a dicknose,
yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum
all day long I'd dicknose biddy bum,
If I were a dicknose man!

You are half right.

#19495 3 years ago
F36212A7-779B-44CD-A80C-A5330ABFD1BC (resized).jpegF36212A7-779B-44CD-A80C-A5330ABFD1BC (resized).jpeg
#19496 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I do not post in this thread much because anyone who shares a different opinion is ganged up on and downvoted all to hell constantly by the same 10 people over and over.and over. There is a very nasty group of people that are filled with hate in this thread and it's just not any fun to come here anymore.

I have been taking a break from Pinside lately and my life has actually been better because of it.

#19497 3 years ago

#19498 3 years ago

There you see division. Opposing views. Both of these are extreme.

Bang their heads together.

#19499 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I have been taking a break from Pinside lately and my life has actually been better because of it.

You just need to find the right subforum. I find the EM crew usually have no time for BS. They (we) just want to talk pinball and restore our older gems.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 390 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/390?hl=cnuts13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.