272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 389 of 576.
#19400 3 years ago

If I was going to get infected, it probably had it's best chance so far today as I visited Costco for the first time in over three months.

We have a TV doctor and somebody asked him about antibodies. His response was that some have maintained antibodies for up to 6 or 7 months after infection where others they are gone in a couple. Average is 3-4 months.

#19401 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

still no rock concerts to go to.

Are you a fan of The Flaming Lips?

Flaming-Lips-colbert-feature (resized).pngFlaming-Lips-colbert-feature (resized).pngWayne-Coyne-waynecoyne5-•-Instagram-photos-and-videos (resized).pngWayne-Coyne-waynecoyne5-•-Instagram-photos-and-videos (resized).png
#19402 3 years ago
121650183_4091006250920355_727905883786459166_n (resized).jpg121650183_4091006250920355_727905883786459166_n (resized).jpg
#19403 3 years ago

It's an open petition. Clearly a bunch of names thrown in there deliberately by the "vax lobby" or corporations or whomever, so that there is a bunch of stuff to point at and laugh at, perfect for simplistic ridicule as demonstrated by the quoted post... the only reason somebody would put false names in there would be because there is obviously no other way of discrediting the viewpoints of these academics legitimately. Wake up people.

It's just a classic discrediting tactic. Actually makes it worth taking notice of, considering the perspective of the Actual scientists on the list, the actual scientists whom have the weight of the big money smear machine pushing back hard against them.

If there is no substance to the real scientists claims and they could actually be disproven, then the stuff for discrediting, a few fake names, would not be required.

I suppose the engineers were all "fake" too hey?

The fact that it is being targeted by these muppets actually makes the concept worth looking into. It is open, so it is obviously likely to be targeted with contamination by detractors if it has any basis in reality.

You can choose the side of reality, or the side of money.

Most people are easily fooled, with the right tools at hand, particularly on mass. "Group think", you can not reasonably believe something JUST because everyone else does, no legitimate evidence, but some people definately do exactly that.

#19404 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Are you a fan of The Flaming Lips?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes!

But pour one out for the poor roadie that has to break down all those covid condoms.

#19406 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Death rate by definition is the percentage of patients with the disease who die. I don't see why an infectious disease death rate would be expressed as percent of overall population who has died, that's an apples to oranges number. Again, you have to look at the population of infected people and using a national population brings in a whole group of people who haven't even been exposed to the disease. It would be a pretty meaningless number unless the entire population had been infected.

Again, I'M NOT THE ONE STATING THAT. Sorry to yell, but I'm being misrepresented here.

The numbers I'm applying are INFECTED PEOPLE DYING. The numbers that were being applied were infected dying given to Pinside members - as a whole - not infected.

Doc, again, we agree.

#19407 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

The latest estimate is that 89% of Americans would become infected with COVID if it were to be allowed to spread unrestrained.

CDC or WHO? Both? What percentage asymptomatic? Highest percentage still over 65 with comorbidities? I'm not denying anything, but that was a clickbait headline with no link.

Has Sweden been at 89%? Would they be considered unrestrained?

I'm not fighting, just looking for some parameters. I honestly feel the "news" is selling more hype and fear than manageable facts these days.

#19408 3 years ago

Has the miracle happened yet? Is it gone?

Are we going to sacrifice 2 million old folk so I can get back to the bars? If so can we get it done before Cedar Point reopens next Spring?

#19409 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Has the miracle happened yet? Is it gone?

Yes. Six hours after my visit to Costco, and my only cough is self inflicted.

#19410 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

CDC or WHO? Both? What percentage asymptomatic? Highest percentage still over 65 with comorbidities? I'm not denying anything, but that was a clickbait headline with no link.
Has Sweden been at 89%? Would they be considered unrestrained?
I'm not fighting, just looking for some parameters. I honestly feel the "news" is selling more hype and fear than manageable facts these days.

Here, play around with this website. Mass General put together a simulator that looks at the effects of various levels of restrictions. Unfortunately it only goes out to 16 weeks of projected numbers but you'll get the idea. I set the simulator to 16 weeks of "minimal restrictions" which is the least amount of mitigation measures it will allow.

According to the simulator, with minimal restrictions across the US for the next 16 weeks our death toll would be 1.6 million people on February 8th. It also estimates 212,000,000 cumulative cases by Feb 8th. That's 56% of the US population infected within 16 weeks of "let's just get to herd immunity" and remember, that's not the end of it. The limitation of the modeler is 16 weeks.

https://analytics-tools.shinyapps.io/covid19simulator01/

#19411 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

All within your own self control. Personal hygene.

I wouldn't necessarily say that .
How many healthcare workers have got it and they're covered head to toe with PPE and taking all the right precautions and even the ones that don't directly deal with any covert patients
Now back to watching qualifying for Bathurst .

#19413 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

How many healthcare workers have got it and they're covered head to toe with PPE and taking all the right precautions and even the ones that don't directly deal with any covert patients

Q: How many fit and healthy medical workers in Australia have died from contracting cv19 in the past 3 months?

A: None. ?

...and we are supposedly contracting it via aerosols anyway, suspended in the air, according to the information here... if it gets trapped on a surface it needs to somehow get into your nose or airway, without dying. Surfaces, in your control. Air, not so much. The living on surfaces hype, all within your control, by hygene. You'd worry about airborne virus if you don't want it to get it.

Are they getting it because it can circulate in the air for longer than many thought?. Ventilation systems?

Also, Bathurst been moved to February mate!! ... since Years ago now man!! ... well for serious Aussies it has anyway.

What's on this weekend is boring as s#it, just a toy car show for international buz and advertising, a joke really... with extra celebrities.

In February it's Much more worth our attention, Real cars, Real motor racing!!!

Unlit track. Spectacular footage first few minutes! ... and how it turns out when carrying too much speed over Skyline... 6:30 ... ouch! . Pitcrew radio: "I hate that sound."

C'mon mate, get back over to the Real Bathurst!!

#19415 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

The numbers I'm applying are INFECTED PEOPLE DYING. The numbers that were being applied were infected dying given to Pinside members - as a whole - not infected.

I should have been more clear. My calculations were with respect to herd immunity. Herd immunity assumes that everyone is infected. Well, nearly everyone since the spread stops once a large percentage of the population has had COVID. The spread stops only because your odds of close contact with an infected person get small.

My "pinside member" numbers were an attempt to make the problem more relatable. You are correct in that they only hold if everyone is infected. In the herd immunity scenario it would only infect about 60% of them, so only 6-17 would die.

#19416 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

To be fair, in the USA healthcare PPE was severely lacking during wave 1 and still isn’t back to pre covid standard practices as we enter wave 3. My wife’s gown has gone from a modified black garbage bag once a week to a nice white glorified garbage bag once a day for example.

Combo that with the fact that most healthcare is not used to or equipped to handle this type of infectious disease (negative pressure rooms, clean entry dirty exit protocols, etc) and you have a recipe for elevated infection rates.

Also, healthcare workers have outside lives with outside points of contact and infection. My wife has 1/3rd of the med assists and nurses that work in her office on quarantine right now for external exposure.

#19417 3 years ago

Today Victoria had 2 new cases and 0 deaths .
It has taken us over 4 months of lockdown to get here and some people don't agree on how we've gone about it or even if it's worth it , but it does show you it's possible to get control of this .

#19418 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

To be fair, in the USA healthcare PPE was severely lacking during wave 1 and still isn’t back to pre covid standard practices as we enter wave 3. My wife’s gown has gone from a modified black garbage bag once a week to a nice white glorified garbage bag once a day for example.
Combo that with the fact that most healthcare is not used to or equipped to handle this type of infectious disease (negative pressure rooms, clean entry dirty exit protocols, etc) and you have a recipe for elevated infection rates.
Also, healthcare workers have outside lives with outside points of contact and infection. My wife has 1/3rd of the med assists and nurses that work in her office on quarantine right now for external exposure.

I'm totally with you Oaken .
Razor was saying you should be right as long as you take hygiene precautions .
I was pointing out that even healthcare workers and doctors who have all the necessary PPE and take all the necessary precautions , can still get it .
Just shows you how easily this virus can spread .
All my best , I hope you and your wife stay safe .

#19420 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-54566730
Remdesivir 'has little or no effect' on survival, says WHO

Darn. Of course the company is contesting this. Will wait until it’s peer reviewed, but not promising for sure.

#19421 3 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

My "pinside member" numbers were an attempt to make the problem more relatable. You are correct in that they only hold if everyone is infected. In the herd immunity scenario it would only infect about 60% of them, so only 6-17 would die.

You should have added some comorbidities such as age of computer, amount of dust in the power supply fan, processing speed, browser and version, how many applications running. ISP and bandwidth.

#19422 3 years ago

The dichotomy is interesting.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/15/politics/chris-christie-coronavirus/index.html

Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie revealed Thursday he spent seven days in an intensive care unit before recovering from Covid-19, and implored Americans to wear masks and take the pandemic "very seriously."

"The ramifications are wildly random and potentially deadly," Christie said in a statement. "No one should be happy to get the virus and no one should be cavalier about being infected or infecting others."

"Within 24 hours, I went from feeling absolutely fine to being in the intensive care unit," Christie said Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

"I was wrong to not wear a mask at the Amy Coney Barrett announcement and I was wrong not to wear a mask at my multiple debate prep sessions with the President and the rest of the team. I hope that my experience shows my fellow citizens that you should follow CDC guidelines in public no matter where you are and wear a mask to protect yourself and others."

And then we have this:

" After departing from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center earlier this month, the President told his followers the virus that had hospitalized him for 72 hours was nothing to fear before posing for a mask-less photo op on the White House balcony.
"Don't be afraid of Covid. Don't let it dominate your life," Trump had written several hours before walking carefully out the hospital's front doors, even as his doctors warned that he wasn't yet "out of the woods."

#19423 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-54566730
Remdesivir 'has little or no effect' on survival, says WHO

So I read the article and saw:

“ Only an old steroid - dexamethasone - has proven life-saving.”

Wonder why we aren’t hearing more of that then?

I mean, it sounds like they are trying to look for the silver bullet and calling everything else worthless. Understanding that this steroid has likely been around long before Covid and isn’t meant to treat it but if it’s worth a shot....

#19424 3 years ago

Steroids have been used for a long time in cases of severe lung inflammation from multiple diseases. It’s not a new thing.

#19426 3 years ago

Heard about reinfections in at least 3 people which was interesting and wondered if it is mutating or that they just had lost the antibodies that had created against it the first time. Also heard blood type could be a key in if you have a greater percentage in getting it. I hope they have some new information on this in the coming weeks.

#19427 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie revealed Thursday he spent seven days in an intensive care unit before recovering from Covid-19, and implored Americans to wear masks and take the pandemic "very seriously."

Yeah, but isn't he really fat? Pretty normal that fat people get really sick from this isn't it?

#19428 3 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Heard about reinfections in at least 3 people which was interesting and wondered if it is mutating or that they just had lost the antibodies that had created against it the first time.

Yes, the antibodies last on average 3 to 4 months, then you get to start over.

I guess it's like the common cold, which is also a coronavirus. Just because you had it once, doesn't mean you won't get it again. Kind of kills the thought of the effectiveness of a vaccine lasting very long as well.

I've been reading up on an alternate treatment to harsh chemicals and medicines to prevent cytokine storm syndrome, which can happen in severe cases.

https://www.healtheuropa.eu/medicinal-cannabis-may-play-a-significant-role-during-covid-19/103093/

#19430 3 years ago

Fat. Skinny. Matters, but the attitudes are what is striking. Are we at a point that if you are fat you stay home? But if you are skinny, then let'er rip?

#19431 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, but isn't he really fat? Pretty normal that fat people get really sick from this isn't it?

Damn, look at this old fat ass:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/doctor-dies-of-covid-19-houston-28-year-old/

#19432 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, the antibodies last on average 3 to 4 months, then you get to start over.
I guess it's like the common cold, which is also a coronavirus. Just because you had it once, doesn't mean you won't get it again. Kind of kills the thought of the effectiveness of a vaccine lasting very long as well.
I've been reading up on an alternate treatment to harsh chemicals and medicines to prevent cytokine storm syndrome, which can happen in severe cases.
https://www.healtheuropa.eu/medicinal-cannabis-may-play-a-significant-role-during-covid-19/103093/

This isn't entirely true. Yes it seems like anti-bodies probably only last 3-4 months it's possible that your immune system learned to better handle the infection in the future even without existing antibodies. There's no scientific evidence showing that to be the case for this virus. Some of the reinfections were different mutations which could imply that getting one version doesn't protect you from another. If that's true it's really not good for a vaccine.

#19433 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Fat. Skinny. Matters, but the attitudes are what is striking. Are we at a point that if you are fat you stay home? But if you are skinny, then let'er rip?

Probably not a bad time to lose weight if you are obese is what I am thinking.

But I'm just going by what I see on the news day after day. They just showed another fat family struck down by covid.

Sure, people run down from overworking or being constantly exposed are also very susceptible. That's an easy fix eh?

#19434 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Damn, look at this old fat ass:

That article doesn't mention her underlying health issues, but it is still a tragic loss.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/us/adeline-fagan-covid-19-death-parents/index.html

"Though she had a history of asthma, upper respiratory infections and pneumonia, her sisters told TV station KHOU, going into work was "what (Adeline) wants to be doing.""

#19435 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Yeah so lets go unreasonably way to the opposite of extreme, and artificially Inflate the negative numbers like some simple peanuts do!
Explanations that "explain" little to nothing, and don't add up, make no sense.
There are way way way more actual infected people out there, than some number of positive tested cases. There is no possibility that every case of Cv19 out in the world is identified or tested. Far far from it. There are Way more infections out there, many times more, than we can confirm.
C'mon guys, try to use some grey matter.

So....we use the number of tested positive because it's the number we have. Not hard.

#19436 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Again, I'M NOT THE ONE STATING THAT. Sorry to yell, but I'm being misrepresented here.
Doc, again, we agree.

I like your manner of disagreeing, then really really insisting that you are agreeing, then making it clear you are disagreeing. Zig when they zag, zag when they zig.

#19437 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The dichotomy is interesting.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/15/politics/chris-christie-coronavirus/index.html
Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie revealed Thursday he spent seven days in an intensive care unit before recovering from Covid-19, and implored Americans to wear masks and take the pandemic "very seriously."
"The ramifications are wildly random and potentially deadly," Christie said in a statement. "No one should be happy to get the virus and no one should be cavalier about being infected or infecting others."
"Within 24 hours, I went from feeling absolutely fine to being in the intensive care unit," Christie said Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America."
"I was wrong to not wear a mask at the Amy Coney Barrett announcement and I was wrong not to wear a mask at my multiple debate prep sessions with the President and the rest of the team. I hope that my experience shows my fellow citizens that you should follow CDC guidelines in public no matter where you are and wear a mask to protect yourself and others."
And then we have this:
" After departing from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center earlier this month, the President told his followers the virus that had hospitalized him for 72 hours was nothing to fear before posing for a mask-less photo op on the White House balcony.
"Don't be afraid of Covid. Don't let it dominate your life," Trump had written several hours before walking carefully out the hospital's front doors, even as his doctors warned that he wasn't yet "out of the woods."

Some people get it, some people don’t.

#19438 3 years ago

o-din

So as long as you aren’t old, fat, immuno-compromised, asthmatic, have a heart problem, lupus, overworked, overexposed, pregnant, smoker, coal miner, or have contact with someone who is one of these things, then you are good to go?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/30/health/coronavirus-athlete-covid-19-ahmad-ayyad-john-hopkins-trnd/index.html

#19439 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I like your manner of disagreeing, then really really insisting that you are agreeing, then making it clear you are disagreeing. Zig when they zag, zag when they zig.

In RonSS’ defense, I think he just misunderstood what was being posted. The original poster was trying to show how many Pinsiders would be expected to die from COVID should COVID be allowed to run unchecked (the herd immunity approach). I think RonSS was trying to get to what the risk is of a random Pinsider dying of COVID in our current environment.

They’re really two different questions. Again, I don’t think calculating the risk of a US citizen dying of COVID currently is a relevant stat to look at because that risk is constantly increasing as the number of deaths increase. It’s a backwards looking number vs a forward looking number.

By the way since people keep bringing it up I will just say that my calculation came up with about 100-150 Pinsiders who would require hospitalization for COVID and 4 deaths. That’s with unmitigated spread and assuming they are all US citizens (which isn’t obviously true but it would be nearly impossible to take each country’s infectious rate and death rate into account).

#19440 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

o-din
So as long as you aren’t old, fat, immuno-compromised, asthmatic, have a heart problem, lupus, overworked, overexposed, pregnant, smoker, coal miner, or have contact with someone who is one of these things, then you are good to go?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/30/health/coronavirus-athlete-covid-19-ahmad-ayyad-john-hopkins-trnd/index.html

You forgot hypertensive, diabetic or have COPD.

Also important to point out that “fat” in the context of COVID risk means a BMI above the recommended range of 19-24. Obesity is defined as BMI over 30. I don’t know what everyone’s BMI is but I suspect a decent percentage of Pinsiders have a BMI over 24.

#19441 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

o-din

For the most part, yes.

I have read over and over again, that obesity is one of the top causes of tragic results from this virus. And what I see on the daily news when people do pass away confirms this. It is also the number one cause of some of the other conditions you have listed there.

IMO not being obese is your best chance to have it not happen to you. Sure there are other factors, but to me, that is the number one controllable factor. If you have the will and ability to control it.

Obesity and it's related illnesses are also one of the number one drains on the healthcare system and have been for years.

Is there any real reason we are debating this? Is it not a fact?

#19442 3 years ago

I guess what I am driving at is that there is a lot more to the problem than simply blaming fat people.

Also that there are a ton of people with an underlying med condition, so going “well they got it bad because they were already sick, sucks for them” is not really a good road to go down.

We are, or should be, better than that. If for no other reason than the heartless selfish concern that all “those” drains on the healthcare system will clog it up for when you need it.

#19443 3 years ago

None of this should be surprising. Us Americans have been getting fatter and fatter and fatter for decades. Chronic diseases like Obesity, Heart disease, High blood pressure, Type 2 Diabetes, have been creating a powderkeg that was just waiting for something like COVID-19 to strike. I'm quite frankly surprised that we haven't seen MORE Americans dead from this virus yet.

Nearly 20,000 posts in this thread, and there's still 2 major concerns:

1. This virus is highly infectious, and
2. There's not likely ever going to be a vaccine for it.

Plan the rest of your life accordingly.

#19444 3 years ago

Yes, I'm not trying to be some school yard bully picking on the fat kid. Just stating the facts as I have seen them. I imagine most of the hospitalizations and deaths due to covid are generally more than a little overweight or obese people. From what I see on the TV news day after day doesn't give me any reason to think otherwise.

If somebody can show me a statistic that does show otherwise, I am open minded and will read it.

#19447 3 years ago

Test, isolate, contract trace first.

Lockdowns are last resort when it’s running uncontrolled thru your community.

Due to multiple abject failures, looks like more lockdowns are needed sadly.

#19448 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I imagine most of the hospitalizations and deaths due to covid are generally more than a little overweight or obese people.

Actually age seems to be the biggest factor.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html#ageg1
If that doesn't open to a chart by age scroll down to "Age Group Data Table".

Last I checked the median age for infection (positive test) was 36, but the media age of COVID-19 death was 83. This is one of the main problems with COVID, it's really TWO diseases depending on whether you are under or over 65.

#19449 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Test, isolate, contract trace first.
Lockdowns are last resort when it’s running uncontrolled thru your community.
Due to multiple abject failures, looks like more lockdowns are needed sadly.

This reminded me of Indianapolis as they have hit the bars hard there with closing at midnight by the mayor (Boss Hogsett as he called here by some). But I live in one of the surrounding counties (doughnut as they call them). The people from Indianapolis have started coming to the doughnut counties for the bars. Increasing until they are at their limits here and more with having to be sent away. It was reported on the news here that the police have had to be called a few times. Even the bars are starting to look at it like it isn't such a good thing with so many people.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 389 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/389?hl=rezdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.