272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 576.
#1801 4 years ago

Just saw that McDonald's in the UK is closing all of their stores today.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51999604

#1802 4 years ago

Why does Dr Fauci talk about trump like a toddler in interviews?
A lot of interesting quotes lately.

#1803 4 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Why does Dr Fauci talk about trump like a toddler in interviews?
A lot of interesting quotes lately.

Are you seriously going to start that horse sh*! again today. Seems to me your actions are much more "toddler like" than anyone on TV at the moment. Stay home, be safe and above all save your hatered for another day.

#1804 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I have to call the hospital today as I'm scheduled for pulmonary test tomorrow but, to be honest I don't want to go in the hospital. I'm in the age bracket that is most at risk, although I question that with all the younger people coming up sick. Seems to me at this point there is no "at most risk" group, this virus is infecting and killing indiscriminately throughout our population.
Damn Who-dey, this will be the first time in 150yrs Cincinnati's Reds opening day parade will not take place. Lotta "first" unfortunately happening all over our nation during this outbreak.

Unless a medical emergency I am sure the hospital will appreciate the cancellation. I’m surprised they haven’t called you to cancel honestly. Everything and I mean everything that can be canceled/delayed/diverted is being done so here and again, nothing has even hit the fan yet. We just see the huge fan and a dump truck backing up.

#1805 4 years ago
#1806 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I have to call the hospital today as I'm scheduled for pulmonary test tomorrow but, to be honest I don't want to go in the hospital. I'm in the age bracket that is most at risk, although I question that with all the younger people coming up sick. Seems to me at this point there is no "at most risk" group, this virus is infecting and killing indiscriminately throughout our population.
Damn Who-dey, this will be the first time in 150yrs Cincinnati's Reds opening day parade will not take place. Lotta "first" unfortunately happening all over our nation during this outbreak.

Stay safe brother, I'm scheduled to see a pulmonologist next week. Not sure if that's happening.

#1807 4 years ago

Triggered with a factual statement? Awww.

Just hoping he doesn’t get fired.

#1808 4 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Triggered with a factual statement? Awww.
Just hoping he doesn’t get fired.

I'm hoping the moderators fire you from this thread.

#1809 4 years ago

It sounds like Michigan is the next state to go on lockdown. I'm glad I sold a game early last week while I could.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2020/03/23/whitmer-michigan-lock-down-like-ohio-six-others-coronavirus-covid-19/2896041001/

#1810 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I have to call the hospital today as I'm scheduled for pulmonary test tomorrow but, to be honest I don't want to go in the hospital.

Don't. Stay at home. All non emergency appointments (even more minor surgeries) at Hospitals have been cancelled in France since last week.

Stay safe.

#1811 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Stay safe brother, I'm scheduled to see a pulmonologist next week. Not sure if that's happening

Quoted from Oaken:

Unless a medical emergency I am sure the hospital will appreciate the cancellation. I’m surprised they haven’t called you to cancel honestly. Everything and I mean everything that can be canceled/delayed/diverted is being done so here and again, nothing has even hit the fan yet. We just see the huge fan and a dump truck backing up.

Damn just talked to the Hospital and they are encouraging me to come in an let them check me out. They are saying because I've known breathing problems it is to my benefit that they can assess where I'm at now (infection free) so they will be in position to better assess my situation should that status change. I told them I'll leave it for now as I feel like I should listen even though I'm scared to be in there

#1812 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It sounds like Michigan is the next date to go on lockdown. I'm glad I sold a game early last week while I could.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2020/03/23/whitmer-michigan-lock-down-like-ohio-six-others-coronavirus-covid-19/2896041001/

They should have closed that state down years ago!

#1813 4 years ago

I have been researching the coronavirus for quite a while now and want to share with you what I have learned.

**This information is best guess, best educated guess, from experts with limited data at this time. Much of it is likely to change as more is learned about this virus.**

In other words, use this information as a guideline, and not as facts. Also, information can vary widely from country to country because of how the information is collected.

This virus is a member of the coronavirus family, including the common cold, SARS and MERS.

CoVid-19 is most likely to have jumped species from bats to humans, with, possibly, another jump in between from another species.

The virus was reportedly first discovered in China in December of 2019. Now, there is evidence that it may have first started in the middle of November, 2019. There also is growing evidence that the virus did not first appear at the wet market in Wuhan, Hubei provinence of China as commonly reported.

The WHO (World Health Organization) didn't hear about the novel coronavirus until December 31st, 2019.

The velocity of the spread of the disease is known as Ro, pronounced are-naught. An Ro of 1 means that, on average, one infected person will infect one more person. If Ro values are below 1, the virus should infect fewer and fewer people until it disapears. Ro values above 1 mean that the virus will spread - the higher the number the faster the rate of spread.

R-Naught values have been reported between 2.0 to 2.5, according to the WHO. This rate of spread leads to a doubling of the number of cases, in, typically, three to nine days, known as 'exponential growth.' Covid-19 spreads faster than most influenza. The common flu has Ro values between .9 and 2.1. As a comparison, measles is highly infectious with an Ro value of 12-18 and the 1918 Spanish Flu with an Ro value of 2-3, similar to CoVid-19.

There is hope that CoVid-19 will spread less in the summer months in the northern hemisphere, but data shows that it is quickly spreading in tropical countries like Singapore and countries in their summer months, like Australia.

CFRs (Case Fatality Rates)are estimated to be twelve to twenty-four times the fatality rates of the ordinay flu, which has a Case Fatality Rate of approximately 0.1% to 0.2% The CDC recommends using a Case Fatality Rate of 0.25% to 3.0% or 1.25 to 2.5 times the flu on the low end and 15 to 30 times the flu on the high end.

Case fatality rates can decrease with improved health care and outbreak management and conversely increase with poor CoVid-19 management. Case fatality rates are higher in coutries with older patients and patients with poor health, other underlying health conditions like COPD, cancer, chronic respiratory disease, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity and those who smoke.

Determining the CFR numbers is fraught with problems. The Case Fatality Rate is determined by dividing 'deaths' by 'confirmed cases' and then multiplying by 100. The key words here are 'confirmed cases.' Many unconfirmed cases, the numbers unknown, exist and adding these to the denominator would reduce the Case Fatality Rates.

There are two known strains of the virus, the 'S' Strain and the 'L' strain. The important question here is whether or not treatment for one will be effective against the other strain. Also, will immunity from one strain protect against the second strain? Scientists claim that for now the difference is small enough that a treatment against one strain will likely remain effective against the other.

The Life Cycle of CoVid-19

• After contracting the disease, the patient can remain in an 'incubation' period where the person can have and spread the disease. The unfortunate person is asymptomatic, meaning there are no symptoms to indicate that they are sick. The incubation period can last from 2 to 14 days.
  • Then the 'symptomatic' phase starts. Symptoms include fever, dry cough, fatigue, shortness of breath and others. The full list can be found at https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus - search for 'The symptoms of COVID-19.' The symptomatic phase typically lasts two weeks, but can be as long as three to six weeks for severe cases.
  • Some patients in the 'post-symtomatic' phase have tested positive for the virus. It is unknown whether CoVid-19 can be spread in this phase.

Time the virus is active in the environment

I have heard this to be as high as high as 3-9 days, and as low as a few hours. How long Covid-19 can remain active is highly dependent on temperature/humidity and surface type. CoVid-19 is active longer in cool, dry conditions on hard surfaces and active for a shorter period in warm, humid conditions on rough surfaces.

Ways to inactivate the virus

• Handwashing - soap and water
  • Bleach - 4 teaspoons per 32 oz
  • Isopropyl Alcohol - greater than 70%
  • Hydrogen Peroxide - at least one minute of exposure
  • Other disinfectants - Lysol

Myth: Sunlight is a good disinfectant. I mistakenly thought this myself. Ultraviolet light can destroy CoVid-19, but the amount of ultiviolet light in sunlight is not enough to do so.

It is better to spray a disinfectant on and let it sit a while before wiping off or, when using wipes, use for at least 20-30 seconds. Vigorous rubbing can literally rip a virus apart, effectively destroying it.

While no one under 20 has reportedly died and their symptoms are typically more mild than their elders, infants can get the CoVid-19 and it may be responsible for severe symptoms in the very young.

"In an alarming development, however, scientists in China are now reporting that the new coronavirus does not spare the very young. In the first retrospective study of Covid-19 among children in the country where the pandemic began, they count 2,143 cases in children. Of those, they report in the journal Pediatrics, more than 90% were mild or moderate, confirming earlier observations that children are at lower risk of severe disease. (That may be because the molecule that allows the virus to enter human cells seems to be less developed in children.)

But 6% of pediatric cases were severe and even critical, compared to 19% of adult cases. And in an unexplained finding, nearly 11% of the Covid-19 cases in infants were severe or critical, though no babies died. An important caveat, however, is that some of what doctors believed to be Covid-19 might have been another respiratory disease, including respiratory syncytial virus, which is known to cause severe illness in children."

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/coronavirus-new-age-analysis-of-risk-confirms-young-adults-not-invincible/

While it has been widely reported that people under 45 are less a lot less likely to have severe symptoms, recent data shows that this is may not true and may be changing.

"Among 508 (12%) patients known to have been hospitalized, 9% were aged >= 85 years, 36% were aged 65–84 years, 17% were aged 55–64 years, 18% were 45–54 years, and 20% were aged 20–44 years. Less than 1% of hospitalizations were among persons aged <= 19 years (Figure 2)."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm?s_cid=mm6912e2_w

Vitamin D is reported to reduce the risks of catching CoVid-19.

There have been reports that NSAIDs may worsen the symptoms of CoVid-19. From the FDA: "[3/19/2020] FDA is aware of news reports stating the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, could worsen coronavirus disease (COVID-19). These news reports followed a March 11, 2020 letter in The Lancet medical journalExternal Link Disclaimer, which hypothesized that an enzyme (a molecule that aids a biochemical reaction in the body) is increased by NSAIDs and could aggravate COVID-19 symptoms.

At this time, FDA is not aware of scientific evidence connecting the use of NSAIDs, like ibuprofen, with worsening COVID-19 symptoms. The agency is investigating this issue further and will communicate publicly when more information is available. However, all prescription NSAID labels warn that “the pharmacological activity of NSAIDs in reducing inflammation, and possibly fever, may diminish the utility of diagnostic signs in detecting infections.”

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-advises-patients-use-non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory-drugs-nsaids-covid-19

There is evidence that CoVid-19 can cause Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)that can cause lung damage.

What can we expect?

• Food widely available in stores
  • Possible shortage of some medications
  • Lulls in the outbreak, dependant on how effective lockdowns are, country by country
  • Limited return to work during the lulls - we can't stay locked up for multiple months
  • Lulls followed by new waves of the disease
  • Voluntary and, in some countries, not so voluntary trials in humans starting soon
  • Early release of 'beta' vaccines to those willing to take the risks
  • A 'safe' vaccine(s) in record time
  • Massive influxes of money from governments

This is one nasty bug!

• Stealthy - An asymptomatic person can spread the disease without any knowledge that they are infecting others
  • Stealthy Longevity - Hangs out in the environment, unseen, for up to 3-9 days
  • Novel - Meaning 'new', never seen before in humans, no built-up immunity in humans from previous infection
  • Contagious - One person can, on average, infect two to two and a half other people, greater than influenza
  • Fast Spreading - Exponential growth with doubling of the number of cases in less than a week
  • Consequences - CoVid-19 may cause damage to the lungs that will be long-lasting
  • Deadly - Case Fatality Rates are many times those of influenza.

Until one of the conditions, below, occurs there are likely to be multiple waves of the outbreak, similar to the 1918 Spanish Flu. China and Hong Kong may be just entering the start of their second wave now.

There are three ways the CoVid-19 outbreak can end

• When so many people have gotten the disease that the disease is no longer able to spread (Ro < 1.0). This is known as herd immunity
  • An effective vaccine
  • Devine intervention

Again, let me state that some of these 'facts' are not currently factual and will likely change as more information is reported.

Added over 4 years ago:

Update 4/2/2020 - This information has changed: "While no one under 20 has reportedly died and their symptoms are typically more mild than their elders, infants can get the CoVid-19 and it may be responsible for severe symptoms in the very young."

A six week old baby has died from CoVid-19 in Connecticut.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-baby-death-connecticut-map-us-cases-newborn-a9441331.html

Though rare, a few cases of teens dying have now been reported.

"A 12-year-old girl became the youngest person to die in Belgium, though it was not disclosed whether she suffered from any underlying condition."

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/us-death-toll-from-covid-19-eclipses-chinas-official-count

A thirteen year old boy has died from CoVid-19 in the UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52114476

Added over 4 years ago:
Quoted from Pecos:

R-Naught values have been reported between 2.0 to 2.5, according to the WHO.

New evidence from the CDC, after studying early Wuhan data, suggests the Ro value may be 5.7. This would increase the percentage of the population to 82% from 55% that would be needed for herd immunity - the more efficient the spread, the more immunity needed to reach herd immunity.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2020/04/07/the-covid19-coronavirus-disease-may-be-twice-as-contagious-as-we-thought/#1660f46929a6

Added over 4 years ago:

Levels of immunity for those previously infected remain a topic of debate. The level and duration of immunity may be weak and as short as a few months, as in the common cold coronavirus, to years as in the SARs coronavirus: "Antibody testing shows SARS-CoV immunity peaks at around four months and offers protection for roughly two to three years."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-immunity-to-covid-19-really-means/

In South Korea, 116 patients who had previously tested positive for CoVid-19 and recovered have tested positive again. This raises the possibilities of reinfection, but also may be caused by:

• Inaccurate testing - false positives of first test
  • Re-emergence of dormant virus - much like Chicken Pox returns later in life as Shingles
  • As mentioned above, reinfection due to low immunity levels from first bout with CoVid-19

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea/south-korea-reports-more-recovered-coronavirus-patients-testing-positive-again-idUSKCN21V0JQ

Researchers from Cambridge, UK, and Germany have identified three strains of CoVid-19 they are calling 'Type A', 'Type B' and 'Type C.' These different types may be responsible for some areas of the United States, the East Coast for example, having more deaths per million than the West Coast. Whether or not a vaccine or immunity will protect against all types of CoVid-19 is unknown.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-04/uoc-cgn040820.php

Excellent map showing the spread of each type of the virus:

https://whatsnew2day.com/america-was-hit-by-covid-19-from-two-continents-studies-suggest/

Added over 4 years ago:

Studies are increasingly showing a role of blood clotting from 'micro-clots' in the capillaries of the lung being a cause of death.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8273609/Coronavirus-deadly-blood-clots-Irish-doctors-hundreds-small-blockages-lungs.html

South Korea has solved 'The Mystery of the Deja-Vu CoVid-19 Disease.'

From my previous addendum:

"In South Korea, 116 patients who had previously tested positive for CoVid-19 and recovered have tested positive again. This raises the possibilities of reinfection, but also may be caused by:

• Inaccurate testing - false positives of first test
  • Re-emergence of dormant virus - much like Chicken Pox returns later in life as Shingles
  • As mentioned above, reinfection due to low immunity levels from first bout with CoVid-19"

South Korea is now saying that the tests were false positives and not reinfection. Fragments of CoVid-19 can remain in the body for months and picked up again in testing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8273947/South-Korea-admits-292-coronavirus-reinfections-false-positives.html

#1814 4 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I have been researching the coronavirus for quite a while now and want to share with you what I have learned.

**This information is best guess, best educated guess, from experts with limited data at this time. Much of it is likely to change as more is learned about this virus.**In other words, use this information as a guideline, and not as facts. Also, information can vary widely from country to country because of how the information is collected.
This virus is a member of the coronavirus family, including the common cold, SARS and MERS.
CoVid-19 is most likely to have jumped species from bats to humans, with, possibly, another jump in between from another species.
The virus was reportedly first discovered in China in December of 2019. Now, there is evidence that it may have
first started in the middle of November, 2019. There also is growing evidence that the virus did not first appear at the wet market in Wuhan, Hubei provinence of China as commonly reported.
The WHO (World Health Organization) didn't hear about the novel coronavirus until December 31st, 2019.
The velocity of the spread of the disease is known as Ro, pronounced are-naught. An Ro of 1 means that, on average, one infected person will infect one more person. If Ro values are below 1, the virus should infect fewer and fewer people until it disapears. Ro values above 1 mean that the virus will spread - the higher the number the faster the rate of spread.
R-Naught values have been reported
between 2.0 to 2.5, according to the WHO. This rate of spread leads to a doubling of the number of cases, in,
typically, three to nine days, known as 'exponential growth.' Covid-19 spreads faster than most influenza. The common flu has Ro values between .9 and 2.1. As a comparison, measles is highly infectious with an Ro value of 12-18 and the 1918 Spanish Flu with an Ro value of 2-3, similar to CoVid-19.
There is hope that CoVid-19 will spread less in the summer months in the northern hemisphere, but data shows that it is
quickly spreading in tropical countries like Singapore and countries in their summer months, like Australia.

CFRs (Case Fatality Rates)are estimated to be twelve to twenty-four times the fatality rates of the ordinay flu, which has a Case Fatality Rate of approximately 0.1% to 0.2% The CDC recommends using a Case Fatality Rate of 0.25% to 3.0% or 1.25 to 2.5 times the flu on the low end and 15 to 30 times the flu on the high end.
Case fatality rates can decrease with improved health care and outbreak management and conversely increase with poor CoVid-19 management. Case fatality rates are higher in coutries with older patients and patients with poor health, other underlying health conditions like COPD, cancer, chronic respiratory disease, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity and those who smoke.
Determining the CFR numbers is fraught with problems. The Case Fatality Rate is determined by dividing 'deaths' by 'confirmed cases' and then multiplying by 100. The key words here are 'confirmed cases.' Many unconfirmed cases, the numbers unknown, exist and adding these to the denominator would reduce the Case Fatality Rates.
There are
two known strains of the virus, the 'S' Strain and the 'L' strain. The important question here is whether or not treatment for one will be effective against the other strain. Also, will immunity from one strain protect against the second strain?
Scientists claim that for now the difference is small enough that a treatment against one strain will likely remain effective against the other.

The Life Cycle of CoVid-19

After contracting the disease, the patient can remain in an 'incubation' period where the person can have and spread the disease. The unfortunate person is asymptomatic, meaning there are no symptoms to indicate that they are sick. The incubation period can last from 2 to 14 days.
Then the 'symptomatic' phase starts. Symptoms include fever, dry cough, fatigue, shortness of breath and others. The full list can be found at https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus - search for 'The symptoms of COVID-19.' The symptomatic phase typically lasts two weeks, but can be as long as three to six weeks for severe cases.
Some patients in the 'post-symtomatic' phase have tested positive for the virus. It is unknown whether CoVid-19 can be spread in this phase.

Time the virus is active in the environment

I have heard this to be as high as high as 3-9 days, and as low as a few hours. How long Covid-19 can remain active is highly dependent on temperature/humidity and surface type. CoVid-19 is active longer in cool, dry conditions on hard surfaces and active for a shorter period in warm, humid conditions on rough surfaces.

Ways to
inactivate the virus

Handwashing - soap and water
Bleach - 4 teaspoons per 32 oz
Isopropyl Alcohol - greater than 70%
Hydrogen Peroxide - at least one minute of exposure
Other disinfectants - Lysol

Myth: Sunlight is a good disinfectant. I mistakenly thought this myself. Ultraviolet light can destroy CoVid-19, but the amount of ultiviolet light in sunlight is not enough to do so.
It is better to spray a disinfectant on and let it sit a while before wiping off or, when using wipes, use for at least 20-30 seconds. Vigorous rubbing can literally rip a virus apart, effectively destroying it.
While no one under 20 has reportedly died and their symptoms are typically more mild than their elders, infants can get the CoVid-19 and it may be responsible for severe symptoms in the very young.
"In an alarming development, however, scientists in China are now reporting that the new coronavirus does not spare the very young. In the first retrospective study of Covid-19 among children in the country where the pandemic began, they count 2,143 cases in children. Of those, they report in the journal Pediatrics, more than 90% were mild or moderate, confirming earlier observations that children are at lower risk of severe disease. (That may be because the molecule that allows the virus to enter human cells seems to be less developed in children.)
But 6% of pediatric cases were severe and even critical, compared to 19% of adult cases. And in an unexplained finding, nearly 11% of the Covid-19 cases in infants were severe or critical, though no babies died. An important caveat, however, is that some of what doctors believed to be Covid-19 might have been another respiratory disease, including respiratory syncytial virus, which is known to cause severe illness in children."
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/coronavirus-new-age-analysis-of-risk-confirms-young-adults-not-invincible/
While it has been widely reported that people under 45 are less a lot less likely to have severe symptoms, recent data shows that this is may not true and may be changing.
"Among 508 (12%) patients known to have been hospitalized, 9% were aged >= 85 years, 36% were aged 65–84 years, 17% were aged 55–64 years, 18% were 45–54 years, and 20% were aged 20–44 years. Less than 1% of hospitalizations were among persons aged <= 19 years (Figure 2)."
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm?s_cid=mm6912e2_w
Vitamin D is reported to reduce the risks of catching CoVid-19.

There have been reports that NSAIDs may worsen the symptoms of CoVid-19. From the FDA: "[3/19/2020] FDA is aware of news reports stating the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, could worsen coronavirus disease (COVID-19). These news reports followed a March 11, 2020 letter in The Lancet medical journalExternal Link Disclaimer, which hypothesized that an enzyme (a molecule that aids a biochemical reaction in the body) is increased by NSAIDs and could aggravate COVID-19 symptoms.
At this time, FDA is not aware of scientific evidence connecting the use of NSAIDs, like ibuprofen, with worsening COVID-19 symptoms. The agency is investigating this issue further and will communicate publicly when more information is available. However, all prescription NSAID labels warn that “the pharmacological activity of NSAIDs in reducing inflammation, and possibly fever, may diminish the utility of diagnostic signs in detecting infections.”
https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-advises-patients-use-non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory-drugs-nsaids-covid-19
There is evidence that CoVid-19 can cause
Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)that can cause lung damage.

What can we expect?

Food widely available in stores
Possible shortage of some medications
Lulls in the outbreak, dependant on how effective lockdowns are, country by country
Limited return to work during the lulls - we can't stay locked up for multiple months
Lulls followed by new waves of the disease
Voluntary and, in some countries, not so voluntary trials in humans starting soon
Early release of 'beta' vaccines to those willing to take the risks
A 'safe' vaccine(s) in record time
Massive influxes of money from governments

This is one nasty bug!

Stealthy - An asymptomatic person can spread the disease without any knowledge that they are infecting others
Stealthy Longevity - Hangs out in the environment, unseen, for up to 3-9 days
Novel - Meaning 'new', never seen before in humans, no built-up immunity in humans from previous infection
Contagious - One person can, on average, infect two to two and a half other people, greater than influenza
Fast Spreading - Exponential growth with doubling of the number of cases in less than a week
Consequences - CoVid-19 may cause damage to the lungs that will be long-lasting
Deadly - Case Fatality Rates are many times those of influenza.

Until one of the conditions, below, occurs there are likely to be multiple waves of the outbreak, similar to the 1918 Spanish Flu. China and Hong Kong may be just entering the start of their second wave now.

There are three ways the CoVid-19 outbreak can end

When so many people have gotten the disease that the disease is no longer able to spread (Ro < 1.0). This is known as herd immunity
An effective vaccine
Devine intervention

Again, let me state that some of these 'facts' are not currently factual and will likely change as more information is reported.

There's no way I'm reading all of that .

#1815 4 years ago

So, I take it no one else is having a "Covid-19" party?
FB_IMG_1584878531557.jpgFB_IMG_1584878531557.jpg

#1816 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Just cancel. It doesn’t matter if you are at risk or not. If something isn’t critical right now, just put it off until we can get a handle on things. The only reason anyone should be leaving their house is to get food, care for someone that needs care, deliver supplies, or they have a medical emergency. Other than that, just stay home.

#1817 4 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

[quoted image]

Wow you have some really stupid effing neighbors!

#1818 4 years ago

An interesting interview by Science Magazine with Faucci- touches on a lot of questions we have and shows what a toug job this 79 yo doc has right now.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/i-m-going-keep-pushing-anthony-fauci-tries-make-white-house-listen-facts-pandemic

#1819 4 years ago

Best way to protect yourself from Coronavirus ... don’t go to large gatherings (10 people or more). This is as important as frequent hand washing. Here are some real life situations.

So let’s say you live in CA and decide to visit the beach. You get there and look to your left and see 500 people. Look to the right and another 500. What should you do? Turn around and go home. There are way more than 10 people and you need to alter your behavior. Come back at 10pm and you might be ok taking a stroll or jog then. CA on lockdown looked as bad as FL on Spring break. Stay home people, please.

Let’s say you go to a pinball bar. You arrive and see 50 people to your left. Look to right and see another 50 people. What do you do? Turn around and go home. There are way more than 10 people and you need to alter your behavior.

Let’s sat you go to your nail salon or even a card game gathering. You look to your left and see 5 people. Look to the right and another 5. That is more than 10 people. Turn around and go home.

Let’s say you have a much needed appointment to get your hair cut. Maybe your annual dentist appointment is coming up. Time to get your physical? Get an invite to neighbors dinner party? Have a large homecoming event with your own family. Wondering if you should fly somewhere. The answer is always the same. Don’t do it - alter your behavior. You can’t control others but if you educate them they might see things more clearly.

#1820 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Wow you have some really stupid effing neighbors!

Exactly. We don't listen or abide by what our experts tell us to do and then complain our government is not doing enough. Maybe someone will invent an Anti-stupid pill we can flood the population with.

#1821 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

So let’s say you live in CA and decide to visit the beach

First stupid decision leading to more stupid decisions. Stay home in the first place unless your doc or health officials tell you different. I'm in that position right now and I'm stressed between listen or flat out say no to what they're telling me to do. I'm more worried I'll bring this shit home to my wife who would not stand a chance in hell. She is severe asthmatic, and is in the early stages of emphysema so it's imperative to keep us safe.

#1822 4 years ago

Best way to protect yourself from Coronavirus ... don’t go to large gatherings (10 people or more).

This makes zero sense to me why they are telling people this. It only takes one person to infect you. Im staying away from everyone i can!

#1823 4 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

[quoted image]

Someone had a corona party down the street from me this weekend...pissed a lot of people off.

#1824 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This makes zero sense to me why they are telling people this. It only takes one person to infect you. Im staying away from everyone i can!

Germany has finally come out and directed people to stay away from gatherings of more than 2 people. That means you + 1 other person. Heck that is lower than the number of people in and average family of 2.5.

Quoted from JodyG:

Someone had a corona party down the street from me this weekend...pissed a lot of people off.

That pisses me off.

#1825 4 years ago

I really don’t know why this is all happening.

Is it the 2 months of denial / “this is no big deal” we were subjected to from so many sources before we started taking this seriously?

Is it 250 years of “don’t tread on me” culture that has defiance built into the American psyche?

Are we simply dumber than ever? (I’m sure this gets a lot of votes)

I really have no idea. All I know is we look like a nation of Fn morons and it’s quite embarrassing and depressing. I’m losing faith that people will behave. It seriously might take military intervention.

#1826 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

They need to start severely punishing/fining these idiots or it will never cease.

#1827 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I really don’t know why this is all happening.
Is it the 2 months of denial / “this is no big deal” we were subjected to from so many sources?
Is it 250 years of “don’t tread on me” culture that has defiance built into the American psyche?
Are we simply dumber than ever?
I really have no idea. All I know is we look like a nation of Fn morons and it’s quite embarrassing and depressing. I’m losing faith that people will behave. It seriously might take military intervention.

I’ve said over and over to trust the public to do the right thing is a huge mistake.

#1828 4 years ago

Germany has finally come out and directed people to stay away from gatherings of more than 2 people. That means you + 1 other person. Heck that is lower than the number of people in and average family of 2.5.

People who are stupid.....and there a lot of stupid people on this earth will look at the ten people rule and think as long as there are only ten of them that they are safe and can rub elbows as much as they want to. Thats what bothers me about that.

#1829 4 years ago

Vitamin D is interesting yet they want people to stay indoors. Don't stay inside get lots of sunshine but don't mingle with people.

#1830 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I’ve said over and over to trust the public to do the right thing is a huge mistake.

it was a huge mistake long ago..now it could be a fatal mistake

#1831 4 years ago

My largest worry is contracting Coronavirus and passing it on to my wife and/or her mother. The mother would be finished off and my wife would have a 85% chance of survival. I don’t think it would have much affect on me, other than temporary discomfort.

If every gathering of 10 people (or 2 people) were to disband, we could get this situation under control. Every one I know that is taking this seriously feels guilty about their minor indiscretion - I went to a restaurant, I went to a movie, I went to a party ... and I feel guilty because it was wrong and I will do better. What about people that are flooding beaches and bars and taking trips and haven’t been tested? Maybe they will wake up and decide to alter their own behavior. All we can do is help enlighten them. What’s happening in Italy is unbelievable.

#1832 4 years ago

There's a large city park full of fields and trails at the edge of our subdivision, not quite a mile from our home. Yesterday the weather was not great... cloudy and cool... but as good as it has been for a while. My family needed to get some fresh air an exercise. So we kept to our unit and walked through the subdivision to the park for a hike.

Other people were out and about of course, but nothing seemed unreasonable. Social-distance dogwalkers, porch chatters, joggers, etc. Cool.

But in the park we passed one of the softball fields and there were about 12-15 people all similar age playing casually. No uniforms, no pomp, probably a church group or informal gathering. My wife was pretty upset, but I had to play devil's advocate: "We'll, at least they're socially distanced in the fielding positions...."

"But they're sharing and touching the same ball!"

"Yeah, but if they brought it with them....?"

"But they're all random people coming togther...."

"Now how do you know that? What if it's two large households or something? No different than if a household like ours, 4-6 all trusting each other, met up with a trusted similar household: 'Hey did y'all disinfect your shit? Got a new ball? OK cool, everyone grab a wipe...' and decided to play a game to get better exercise than we're getting?"

Now I see my wife's points and share her concerns. But me playing devil's advocate was trying to illustrate why people always think "they" are the exception to which the rules don't apply. Although technically.... that group wasn't even breaking any rules! So as a mere observer, who was I to say that group was being needlessly reckless or not?

The mixed-messaging we're getting from leaders (groups of X, spaced Y apart... unless you cram in the essential business then all bets are off!) is dangerous because people's interpretations are far too subjective.

I like Germany's approach. There's little wiggle room there.

#1833 4 years ago
a4182cf0be5631f10923ce72b0316b71.jpga4182cf0be5631f10923ce72b0316b71.jpg
#1834 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

An interesting interview by Science Magazine with Faucci

Interesting?! I thought it was terrifying. Like that coach said, they are what we thought they were. Diehards absolutely refuse to deal with the fact that the person leading us in this moment is not helping but hurting the effort. Sad and pathetic in my opinion.

#1835 4 years ago

This is rather scary...surely this will not be allowed to happen:

"Trump Weighs Easing Stay-at-Home Advice to Curb Economic Rout"
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-23/trump-weighs-easing-stay-at-home-advice-to-curb-economic-rout

#1836 4 years ago

My largest worry is contracting Coronavirus and passing it on to my wife and/or her mother. The mother would be finished off and my wife would have a 85% chance of survival.

EXACTLY that is what worries me the most!

I cancelled my pulmonary. They were telling me to come on in that it is safe but after thought and just now speaking to our lung specialist he told me to cancel that our lung problems are adequately mapped and further assessment is not a worry at this time. When things settle down he will assess us at that time.
Hated to do this (cancel) without any of the medical people that treat us saying I should so this is a relief to me. I didn't want to be among the ranks of the Stupid who are not listening to health officials right now.

#1837 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

"Trump Weighs Easing Stay-at-Home Advice to Curb Economic Rout

C'mon Jody look at the source...……...they made clear long ago whom they would report on and whom not......sound like unbiased reporting to you.

#1838 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

C'mon Jody look at the source...……...they made clear long ago whom they would report on and whom not......sound like unbiased reporting to you.

The quoted tweet pretty much says it all...I don't care who reported it. You and I both know that at the end of the 15 days, things will be much worse...not better.

#1839 4 years ago

Also in the news, the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus tracking site has gone back to showing county by county virus numbers for each US state. This feature had previously been turned off for the last couple weeks.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1840 4 years ago

Yeah that tweet terrified me.

We can’t even get idiots to stop cramming on to beaches and now we are gonna say “aw fuck it” to prop up the market?

Brilliant. Hope that’s not the idea.

#1841 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

"Trump Weighs Easing Stay-at-Home Advice to Curb Economic Rout"
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-23/trump-weighs-easing-stay-at-home-advice-to-curb-economic-rout

Fake News

#1842 4 years ago

Some reports that Mr abundance of caution I wasn’t exposed so going to the Senate gym and pool is cool, Rand Paul, actually suspected he was exposed at an event a couple weeks back where it turns out 2 positive people were in attendance.

THAT’s why he was tested. So, he’s lying and exposed a good portion of the leadership of the Country to it. Nice example Rand.

#1843 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The quoted tweet pretty much says it all...I don't care who reported it. You and I both know that at the end of the 15 days, things will be much worse...not better.

I don't doubt for one moment things may not be better but that has nothing to do with who's reporting it. Bloomberg news outlet has made it clear how they intend to report.

#1844 4 years ago

Wow you came up with that yourself?

Super clever!

#1845 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Some reports that Mr abundance of caution I wasn’t exposed so going to the Senate gym and pool is cool, Rand Paul, actually suspected he was exposed at an event a couple weeks back where it turns out 2 positive people were in attendance.
THAT’s why he was tested. So, he’s lying and exposed a good portion of the leadership of the Country to it. Nice example Rand.

Can you please stop with the slight of hand political bullshit?

#1846 4 years ago

Best way to protect yourself from Coronavirus ... don’t go to large gatherings (10 people or more). This is as important as frequent hand washing.
So let’s say you live in CA and decide to visit the beach. You get there and look to your left and see 500 people. Look to the right and another 500. What should you do? Turn around and go home. There are way more than 10 people and you need to alter your behavior. Come back at 10pm and you might be ok taking a stroll or jog then. CA on lockdown looked as bad as FL on Spring break. Stay home people, please.
Let’s say you go to a pinball bar. You arrive and see 50 people to your left. Look to right and see another 50 people. What do you do? Turn around and go home. There are way more than 10 people and you need to alter your behavior.
Let’s say you have a much needed appointment to get your hair cut. Maybe your annual dentist appointment is coming up. Time to get your physical? Get an invite to neighbors dinner party? Have a large homecoming event with your own family. Wondering if you should fly somewhere. The answer is always the same. Don’t do it - later your behavior. You can’t control others but if you educate them they might see things more clearly.

They need to start issuing citations for violations of orders and blocking off these areas if people won't voluntarily comply. We're headed that way anyway so might as well start now before all these fools spread it around even more.

#1847 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wow you came up with that yourself?
Super clever!

Just trying to balance out all your stupid comments

#1848 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

So according to you Anyone who is around people infected "enough though our own health officials have made clear "we will not know they are infected nor will they themselves" is lying and purposely exposing people......ludicrous thought process to say the least.

The report that put Rand in the gym/pool has been on the news....no he was not but he may be lying right..... C'mon man leave that sensationalism alone.

#1849 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

All you have to do is look at the president’s Twitter timeline to know that that’s the plan. Look for the tweet in all caps, and the many retweets. I don’t think the feds can overrule a governor’s orders, and I don’t think the intent is to make people in NYC go back to work. It’s more concerning for states like mine where “things aren’t that bad yet”.

#1850 4 years ago

I shook my head that my neighbors had family over for their weekly Sunday dinner. I was pissed when my kindergartener’s best friend’s mom posted a picture of them at church. I am furious that my cousin’s wife on Sunday posted a picture of herself eating inside a restaurant with a caption of “supporting local business”.

These people don’t get it.

Keeping it perfectly generic for you, when I see a freaking government official of any stripe going out and using facilities whilst waiting for their test results, any and all need to lose their jobs and be publicly ridiculed for being a dumbass.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/37?hl=bospins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.