272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 378 of 576.
#18850 3 years ago

This doctor claims guns might be just as protective as masks...

Yes, he's a "doctor"...

https://www.inquisitr.com/6300327/jeff-barke-coronavirus-mask-gun/

Have we reached peak insanity yet?

#18851 3 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

I would argue that the US is doing the worst, hands down. We have a half-ass mask mandate with half of the citizens not taking this pandemic seriously. I'm going to go with this one: one country gets their shit in gear and they do well while another country can't get its collective head out of its ass. The US is at #1 200K plus deaths with over 7 MILLION infections. The US is a collective miserable failure when dealing with this pandemic. Life is not without death and risks but to just deride "one country" as a statistic when there are many, many others doing much better (New Zealand for instance) is beyond disingenuous and just plain ornery.

Please use percentage as your reference markers. Using actual numbers is near useless as one country's population could be 10 times that of another.

I'm not disputing you, just trying to keep somewhat valid comparisons. The US has over 300 million people...

#18852 3 years ago

I saw this and got a chuckle.
Ah...the age of the pandemic:

Screenshot_20200927-105433~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200927-105433~2 (resized).png
#18853 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Please use percentage as your reference markers. Using actual numbers is near useless as one country's population could be 10 times that of another.
I'm not disputing you, just trying to keep somewhat valid comparisons. The US has over 300 million people...

Go to world of meters and sort by population. Data isn’t perfect, but it’s what we got. What you will find is that we are 12th globally in total cases per million and 10th globally in deaths per million.

Edit: And only 20th in tests per million

That’s...bad.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

#18854 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

This doctor claims guns might be just as protective as masks...

Yes, he's a "doctor"...
https://www.inquisitr.com/6300327/jeff-barke-coronavirus-mask-gun/
Have we reached peak insanity yet?

stupid-is-as-stupid-does (resized).jpgstupid-is-as-stupid-does (resized).jpg
#18855 3 years ago

Went out to grab some stuff yesterday, and hit the Super Target in an area closer to Daditude’s side of town. I go there b/c since March/April I have seen total compliance with the mask mandate and no overcrowding issues. Not yesterday. For the first time. It was overpacked, a ton of families with all the damned kids everywhere, and masks were half-assed. People with them pulled down under their chin, several people that would just hold it up to their mouths as you got near them, some just had them hanging off their ears. It’s a damned shame, but the numbers are clearly about to go up again. Here we go.

#18856 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I saw this on Reddit:[quoted image]

When Yellowstone blows 536 AD could become number 2... Hopefully that’s not soon!

#18857 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Go to world of meters and sort by population. Data isn’t perfect, but it’s what we got. What you will find is that we are 12th globally in total cases per million and 10th globally in deaths per million.
Edit: And only 20th in tests per million
That’s...bad.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Yup, and you're correct, not perfect, but at least it's better than judging the situation from headlines.

Cheers!

#18858 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Went out to grab some stuff yesterday, and hit the Super Target in an area closer to Daditude’s side of town. I go there b/c since March/April I have seen total compliance with the mask mandate and no overcrowding issues. Not yesterday. For the first time. It was overpacked, a ton of families with all the damned kids everywhere, and masks were half-assed. People with them pulled down under their chin, several people that would just hold it up to their mouths as you got near them, some just had them hanging off their ears. It’s a damned shame, but the numbers are clearly about to go up again. Here we go.

I've been using home delivery and contact free pickup for nearly everything since March. After you get the hang of it, I wonder if I'll ever go back to wandering around store aisles again? I would have done just fine in the days of the milk man and Sears and Roebuck.

#18859 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

I've been using home delivery and contact free pickup for nearly everything since March. After you get the hang of it, I wonder if I'll ever go back to wandering around store aisles again? I would have done just fine in the days of the milk man and Sears and Roebuck.

Same. Starting to cycle my provisions and re-up with fresh stuff but...the stores keep giving me the old stuff.

For instance, bought shelf stable milk and Walmart gave me stuff today with a Best By date of June 3rd.

Edit: and if you do a return, you have to go into the store grrr.

#18860 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Yeah and when the numbers do go up the same people will say it’s all just driven by politics. I wonder what they will say when COVID doesn’t disappear on November 4th?

#18861 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

If you are wondering how the rest of the world thinks USA is doing with covid, then just try to cross your border and leave the USA. Home of the free, as long as you don’t want to leave. Most of the world is not allowing travellers from the USA into their country. Even Canada has closed our border to USA, and we don’t plan to reopen anytime soon. You’re our best closest neighbours and we don’t even want you to come visit right now.

As your obnoxious neighbor to the south, thank you for hosting the Stanley Cup. It has been a blast to watch and it is also nice to hear your National Anthem too!

#18862 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Yup, and you're correct, not perfect, but at least it's better than judging the situation from headlines.
Cheers!

Pretty sure the point was that we are not only 'not perfect', but that we are actually very very bad at this. Handling it poorly. Shitting the bed. Screwing the pooch. Fing it up. Mailing it in. Pencil whipping. Schruted it up. Botched it. Bob is not our uncle. Dropped the ball. Won't even get a participation trophy. Created a mess. The almost complete opposite of perfect.

We have more resources at our disposal than any other country on Earth. We are the USA FFS. We should have done/should be doing such a good job at this that our example of what to do and how to do it should be unassailable. Even further - we should have resources and bandwidth left over to help other countries. Because THAT my friends, is what the USA used to do.

Instead, we have over 200k dead, a country divided, and more coming.

#18863 3 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

As your obnoxious neighbor to the south, thank you for hosting the Stanley Cup. It has been a blast to watch and it is also nice to hear your National Anthem too!

And thank you guys for hosting baseball. The government wouldn’t let the blue jays play at home this year.

#18864 3 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Im just thankful my Stars are in the cup. A win would be epic.

#18865 3 years ago

Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any worse...its about to go down!
Screenshot_20200927-184210~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200927-184210~2 (resized).png

#18866 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

Yeah , our crazy extreme Lockdown has had us go from over 700 cases a day , down to 12 today .

I haven't lost my job , I make medical equipment and we have been flat out because of all of this .

Actually it's the opposite , because I care about businesses and people who have lost their jobs is why I want our country to get back to normal as soon as possible .
I suppose it's easy to make judgements when South Australia has had under 500 cases and 4 deaths , where as we have had over 20,000 cases and almost 800 deaths .
[quoted image]

Well the pieces start to fall into place then. Of course you're sitting pretty with your industry. Explains some viewpoints there.

You did not need to create a police state to control this, that needs to be acknowledged. Level 3 is by far the most extreme you ever needed, and not for this long even.

Level 4 is just what Your 'man' chose, after seriously fu@king everything up at the start with complacency. Kneejerk over reaction after then, because he was so neglegent to begin with. Extreme reaction in the opposite direction now.

What happenned to those serious and worrying allegations against Dan the man, anyway?? ... swept under the rug suddenly huh? .?

Giving a toss about everyone else would be not locking everyone up like actual prison and shutting down everyones livelyhood for no actual valid reason. But it hasn't personally sent you broke, or destroyed your life, so on with the regime then!. It's all Fine hey. Whatever as long as it works for your own situation right?

Gud dang simple cotton-ballers, undermining nature, and compromising the actual health/wellbeing of Everyone while they're at it.

I guess, for some people ignorance is bliss!

#18867 3 years ago

Every kids' worst nightmare is when your parents do something to embarrass you, such as drop you off at school while they are still wearing their nightgown and/or hair curlers.

I feel sorry for the kid who will have to live this down.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/09/25/ohio-woman-tased-football-game-mask-trnd-orig-llr.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/

" Woman tased after refusing to wear a mask at football game "

#18868 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

At least in 536 AD they didn't have to wear face masks and could still go to theme parks . In 2020 , we have to sit on the couch and speak to people via the Internet .

Just .... uuhhg .... speaks volumes

#18869 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Cheers!

It has been mildly encouraging lately, more and more people gradually seem to be smelling the coffee.

Blind acceptance only can stretch so far beyond reason, before reality bites.

#18871 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Level 3 is by far the most extreme you ever needed, and not for this long even.

You keep saying this but what you can't grasp is , we were in lockdown level 3 with mandatory masks for weeks and the numbers were skyrocketing . If we had continued like that , we would have had thousands of cases a day and the associated deaths .
Today we had 5 new cases and 1 death .
Say what you want but the plan is working .

#18872 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Just .... uuhhg .... speaks volumes

Now it's established you can't recognise sarcasm , I will use this emoji just for you

#18873 3 years ago

1 million death Mark was passed today

44B3EFDE-6E28-4660-ABB2-01EFC9C2F801 (resized).png44B3EFDE-6E28-4660-ABB2-01EFC9C2F801 (resized).png
#18875 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Pretty sure the point was that we are not only 'not perfect', but that we are actually very very bad at this. Handling it poorly. Shitting the bed. Screwing the pooch. Fing it up. Mailing it in. Pencil whipping. Schruted it up. Botched it. Bob is not our uncle. Dropped the ball. Won't even get a participation trophy. Created a mess. The almost complete opposite of perfect.
We have more resources at our disposal than any other country on Earth. We are the USA FFS. We should have done/should be doing such a good job at this that our example of what to do and how to do it should be unassailable. Even further - we should have resources and bandwidth left over to help other countries. Because THAT my friends, is what the USA used to do.
Instead, we have over 200k dead, a country divided, and more coming.

The not perfect was referring to the data, meaning who knows what's actually being reported.

I see where even an agreement is a disagreement in this thread.

sue-hughes-OzMleYUe5vQ-unsplash (resized).jpgsue-hughes-OzMleYUe5vQ-unsplash (resized).jpg
#18876 3 years ago

Published in Science (Sep. 24, 2020)

Hidden immune weakness found in 14% of gravely ill COVID-19 patients
By Meredith Wadman

From the first months of the COVID-19 pandemic, scientists baffled by the disease’s ferocity have wondered whether the body’s vanguard virus fighter, a molecular messenger called type I interferon, is missing in action in some severe cases. Two papers published online in Science this week confirm that suspicion. They reveal that in a significant minority of patients with serious COVID-19, the interferon response has been crippled by genetic flaws or by rogue antibodies that attack interferon itself.

(...) Another finding, that 94% of the patients with interferon-attacking antibodies were male, also helps explain why men face higher risk of severe disease.
The paired studies have immediate practical implications. Synthetic interferons, long used to treat other diseases, might help some at-risk patients, as might other therapies aimed at removing the damaging antibodies. A common kind of antibody test could be readily developed and return answers in hours. Those found to be at high risk of developing severe COVID- 19 could take precautions to avoid exposure or be prioritized for vaccination,

(...) The findings also raise a red flag for plasma donations from recovered patients. Because it may be rich in antibodies to the virus, “convalescent plasma” is already given to some patients to fight the infection. But some donations could harbor the interferon-neutralizing antibodies. “You should eliminate these patients from the pool of donors,” Zuniga says. “You definitely don’t want to be transferring these autoantibodies into another person.”

#18877 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Every kids' worst nightmare is when you parents do something to embarrass you, such as drop you off at school wearing their nightgown and/or hair curlers.
I feel sorry for the kid who will have to live this down.
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/09/25/ohio-woman-tased-football-game-mask-trnd-orig-llr.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/
" Woman tased after refusing to wear a mask at football game "

Have you watched the video? People in the position of authority are responsible to de-escalate situations. Plus the taser charge went through the metal bleachers and was felt by other children there. Was that truly necessary?

#18878 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

You keep saying this but what you can't grasp is , we were in lockdown level 3 with mandatory masks for weeks and the numbers were skyrocketing . If we had a continued like that , we would have had thousands of cases a day and the associated deaths .

Hey man.... I'm grasping it no worries. Victorias been our soap opera on the screen the past few months. Sounds like I have picked up more about what is going on there in Vic than you have. Like the "burried" concerning allegations regarding Dan the man from before Cv too. Wtf?? ... Where are the people now?? .... not burried as well, I hope. Then there's "informer X" ..... hmmm

I can't believe that 6 months into this, you can't seem to grasp some of The Most Basic principles around the thing.... such as that it actually takes 2-3 weeks for your chosen "measures" to have shown their affect. How can you not get this mate?? .... nothing personal, but more seriously.

So, How long were some of your upity citizens pretending to "Do" Stage 3 for, again???. Oh yeah that's right, properly really only about 2-3 weeks!! ... people just going about like normal, for coffee and that, the first week or two of "stage 3" ... Therefore, the results you were seeing around the start of the Stage 4 nonsense (barely 3-4 weeks into Stage 3), were actually a direct result of your half arsed pretend Stage 3 lockdown alone, and Not Stage 4 at all.

It's funny, you don't find it odd that your daily case numbers turned around direction at basically the same time you began Stage 4?

When it Fell Off A Cliff a week or two later again (at the unnecesary expense to peoples livlihoods and economy), was because of the ridiculous overblown prison state lockdown. Try to work it out, your stage 4 Joke there (and your crusty the Clown premier) have made you guys look pretty silly to the rest of Oz. Moreso, your crazy police state crap is really quite scary.... you might as well just go and live in china or something, hey?.

Besides that, your Stage 3 might have worked alot better again than it actually did, if your citizens could bring themselves to respect some guidelines instead of so many just ignoring the advice. No other state needed the level of bank breaking fines like that which you mob have brought into force there now, nor the ridiculous over-restriction.

Actually maybe you're right, nothing less than stage 4 was going to get Melbournians to tow the line and do the "right" thing, voluntarily. Well I mean, that is basically what happened in every other state, people for the most part just did what they were asked. I suppose this would have a big impact on why our hundreds of cases did not become thousands, like yours did. Melbourne Needed your man Dan to bring out his great big stick. Okay then, you convince me... I concede!.

Sorry I couldn't pick your bizzare "sarcasm" , I can't assume every backwards thing written is sarcasm, now can I. lol

I'll assume everything you write is sarcasm going forward, okay?

It doesn't matter anymore anyway, really...

#18879 3 years ago

Too many people with cell phones filming instead of doing something. This is what we have "evolved" into.

This, along with "epic fail" videos are
poison to our society. Since when do we laugh at people seriously injured?

#18881 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Too many people with cell phones filming instead of doing something. This is what we have "evolved" into.
This, along with "epic fail" videos are
poison to our society. Since when do we laugh at people seriously injured?

Some might ponder, surely underlying mindless stupidity isn't really so commonplace... surely not!?

.... then the realisation of todays realities .... jackass is popular!.

#18882 3 years ago

South Park Was at the Denver Game wearing Masks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/28/us/south-park-denver-broncos-trnd/index.html

Tune in Wednesday Night!

#18883 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Have you watched the video?

Yes. I watched the video where some woman was acting like a spoiled brat. The school had rules saying masks must be worn and she was showing a lack of respect by not following the rules. What she needed was a good bitch slap !

Quoted from rwmech5:

People in the position of authority are responsible to de-escalate situations.

How many times does someone in a position of authority have to ask someone to move on along because the rules were not being followed? My understanding is that she was asked to leave and she just kept her fat ass glued to the bleacher.

Quoted from rwmech5:

Plus the taser charge went through the metal bleachers and was felt by other children there. Was that truly necessary?

Surely, you can't be serious. The bleachers are mostly empty. The few kids that were there did not make any kind off action that would suggest they felt a Taser.

And Tazers don't travel outside a body and zap someone else sitting on a metal bleacher.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.32.41 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.32.41 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.40.13 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.40.13 AM (resized).png

And now we know why many retailers do not enforce a mask policy. They do not want to subject their employees to mistreatment the non-mask wearers like to meter out with their holier than thou attitude.

#18884 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

If you are wondering how the rest of the world thinks USA is doing with covid, then just try to cross your border and leave the USA. Home of the free, as long as you don’t want to leave. Most of the world is not allowing travellers from the USA into their country. Even Canada has closed our border to USA, and we don’t plan to reopen anytime soon. You’re our best closest neighbours and we don’t even want you to come visit right now.

They can fly over, no problem.

#18886 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

You keep saying this but what you can't grasp is , we were in lockdown level 3 with mandatory masks for weeks and the numbers were skyrocketing . If we had continued like that , we would have had thousands of cases a day and the associated deaths .

8a56d6d0-82ef-44ea-b2c8-53d8f6443231 (resized).jpg8a56d6d0-82ef-44ea-b2c8-53d8f6443231 (resized).jpg

covid-modelling-data (resized).jpgcovid-modelling-data (resized).jpg

Stage 4 restrictions begin 2nd of August.

Other states spent half of June urging Vic to go to stage 3 restrictions, with so many unknown community transmission cases, in the 20's and then up. To deaf Dan ears though, of course.

Because you know, football! . Economy!

What happened? ... football, and coffee I guess?

1st July, mega case blowout, Oh crap says Dan, we better pull Stage 3, no warning. People scramble and pussyfoot around for two weeks.

The data tells the story that the Stage 4 thing has simply been a retarded joke. As a precaution maybe fair enough, but at a week in it could be clearly seen that it was not at all required.

There it is, you know.

#18887 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yes. I watched the video where some woman was acting like a spoiled brat. The school had rules saying masks must be worn and she was showing a lack of respect by not following the rules. What she needed was a good bitch slap !

How many times does someone in a position of authority have to ask someone to move on along because the rules were not being followed? My understanding is that she was asked to leave and she just kept her fat ass glued to the bleacher.

Surely, you can't be serious. The bleachers are mostly empty. The few kids that were there did not make any kind off action that would suggest they felt a Taser.
And Tazers don't travel outside a body and zap someone else sitting on a metal bleacher.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
And now we know why many retailers do not enforce a mask policy. They do not want to subject their employees to mistreatment the non-mask wearers like to meter out with their holier than thou attitude.

And this type of response is why I don't even bother.

#18888 3 years ago

There are ways to handle things when you feel you are being mistreated. Kindly and politely explain why you are doing what you are doing. Then when asked to leave, do what you are asked. Then you can get a lawyer and sue if you feel you were unjustly treated.

Is it really so hard?

#18889 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Have you watched the video? People in the position of authority are responsible to de-escalate situations. Plus the taser charge went through the metal bleachers and was felt by other children there. Was that truly necessary?

Yep.

#18890 3 years ago

Any football fans?
The NFL has some VERY questionable mask policies that seem to be confusing for the players, coaches, and fans. I'm sure it will be on display in this Monday Night Football game that's about to start.
I'm not sure if there is a 'right' answer, however...

#18891 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Same for so many people. Some seople only looking to find support for their long held but flawed "beliefs". For me it's at the point of not bothering to highlight things anymore around this restriction stupidity, and how data doesn't support it.

Sometimes you have zero chance telling someone about realities they do not want to know about or comprehend.

So people trying to help others learn something simply give up eventually, after enough of the dumb futility. It can be like a perpetual nonsense mery-go-round with some cases.

Many more don't bother to help people understand. The more that don't bother, the more dumbness just keeps perpetuating. It does not seem to be getting any better either, unfortunately.

#18892 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Plus the taser charge went through the metal bleachers and was felt by other children there. Was that truly necessary?

Quoted from rwmech5:

Good for you. But I am still interested in this "taser charge going through the bleachers" stuff. Where did you see or hear of this because the video seems to be a little light on showing a bunch of kids getting zapped?

#18893 3 years ago

130 Million Rapid tests being distributed!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/28/politics/donald-trump-tests-coronavirus/index.html

I thought leadership decided this was over? No masks Needed? Open 100% the restaurants and bars in Florida!

#18894 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Open 100% the restaurants and bars in Florida!

I hope they do as I'll be there in a few weeks. Been enjoying restaurants and bars in Indiana and Ohio for months. Nevada too although there were restrictions at bars.

Those who don't want to go to these places can choose not to. No arm-twisters seen at any of the Las Vegas and Reno casinos and they are pretty busy.

#18895 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Good for you. But I am still interested in this "taser charge going through the bleachers" stuff. Where did you see or hear of this because the video seems to be a little light on showing a bunch of kids getting zapped?

I would think that the bleachers would be made out of aluminum wouldnt they? If so that wouldnt conduct electricity. I've seen the video but I didn't pay much attention to the bleachers.

#18896 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I hope they do as I'll be there in a few weeks. Been enjoying restaurants and bars in Indiana and Ohio for months. Nevada too although there were restrictions at bars.
Those who don't want to go to these places can choose not to. No arm-twisters seen at any of the Las Vegas and Reno casinos and they are pretty busy.

Except for the people that live and work in Florida, that support their lives with tourists that might bring the virus, and infect people.
If Opened in areas of low numbers, and minimal travel, Id agree with you.

Sure, I dont have to go to bars and restaurants, but our friend in the ICU this week was likely infected by a tourist at the gardens she worked at with my wife.

Your vacation, our pain....

#18897 3 years ago

Remember when the "big" argument was if the remakes would bring down the resale of originals (AFM/MM)? Those were the days!

#18898 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I would think that the bleachers would be made out of aluminum wouldnt they? If so that wouldnt conduct electricity. I've seen the video but I didn't pay much attention to the bleachers.

Aluminum will conduct electricity, but not as smoothly as copper. The high power lines (100,000 volts plus) use aluminum .wire

#18899 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Apparently you missed this post that I just linked for you.

You did not see anything in the video because other than the woman being Tazed there was nothing to see.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 378 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/378?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.