272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 377 of 576.
#18800 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Thank you for putting up that info!
It seems testing/recording started a bit later in India?. Looks a bit like they're still in a drawn out first wave, or just full spread... there are probably heaps more deaths really too, Cv deaths would surely be under reported hey?
Will be interesting to see the direction things go there. They let it loose worse than Sweden did ...
At least two more very interesting points yet to go about those India graphs, that most people might not have really noticed at all?
Like someone here noted, sometimes less is more. Maybe someone else can spot some other less obvious interesting points.
I barely got started... stopped short now though.
Gotta play pinball I'm up!

Here is more data to help, including testing rates as well...

Test per 1000 people
daily-tests-per-thousand-people-smoothed-7-day (resized).pngdaily-tests-per-thousand-people-smoothed-7-day (resized).png

Daily New Cases
coronavirus-data-explorer (resized).pngcoronavirus-data-explorer (resized).png

Daily recorded deaths
coronavirus-data-explorer(1) (resized).pngcoronavirus-data-explorer(1) (resized).png

I understand not everybody has an easy time interpreting graph data, so here are some noteworthy points...

- INDIA has about quadruple the population of the USA, and people packed in much tighter. Yet they have about the same number of daily recorded deaths.

- INDIA is performing about a quarter as many tests per 1000 people than the UK or US, but testing about the same Number of People total as the US (since the population is 4 fold, so about 1 million tests per day).

- INDIA must have Vast numbers of unrecorded Cases And Deaths, not reflected in the data, but might still be doing alot better than some other places in the world despite that. UK and US have plenty of unrecorded cases as well of course, but India counts for about 1.4 billion people. Proportions. Per head capita there are 4 times as many recorded deaths in the US than in India. Bearing in mind methodology probably varies between them.

- Comparing daily confirmed Deaths against daily confirmed Cases for India, UK and USA (approx.).. INDIA; 80k cases, 1k deaths (1.25%). UK; 6000 cases, 50 deaths (0.84%). USA; 40k cases, 1000 deaths (2.5%).

- Things are also probably a bit skewed though, for several reasons. For example, some countries are more heavily plagued by unhealthy lifestyle and high rates of obesity, than others. This would obviously increase morbidity, compared to countries where the population is more health conscious. Not all countries situations are easily comparable regarding Cv19 effects.

WITH such massive volumes and kinds of trivial data flying about these days, no surprise it can be tough to find focus or reason. Overwhelming amounts of 'information' to digest. Some real, some not, which is one of the things that makes it so challenging and time consuming to filter through and find reason. Observation or analysis are only as reliable as the data. Garbage in garbage out. India may be doing Alot worse than Anywhere, if the data we're looking at is way out.

#18801 3 years ago

A friend of the family, a leading ER Trauma Surgeon here, has been recovering from Covid now for some 6-8 weeks.
Thats the good news. The bad news, is he is showing large scarring of his lungs.
It is effecting every aspect of his life and job, having breathing issues.

A living example, of a Doctor, and why catching this virus, and recovering, isnt a slam dunk, or "very few people" affected,
or to ignore science and medicine for the sake of short term money.

In hearing more about his situation, and the 2 nurses, and 3 doctors on one side of the family, was eye opening today,
as to what they are experiencing in Central Florida, and in Cleveland.

Other Family in Indiana and Kentucky, are sharing their surges, and I also heard from friends and family in India
that are freaking out at the explosive rates there. In the rural parts, elderly are dying and being cremated, without the data,
or testing, to add to the numbers.

Its a shame the approach today, is to "ignore it", in the game of politics.

After a morning of emails and phone calls, my head hurts that the input happened all at once, and now have 16 seniors, that have passed on from the virus.

#18802 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I think you have that backwards. It started in an Army barracks in Kansas, and then we shipped it overseas when our troops went to Europe and it spread from there.
But I'll have to look again. Too many things happening for the last 6 months.

Well, I think that was the first reported US case in Kansas. But, troops had already been moving everywhere by 1918.
I was stating the point to be that it was troops moving throughout the world spreading it around.
Much like planes.

#18803 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I think you have that backwards. It started in an Army barracks in Kansas, and then we shipped it overseas when our troops went to Europe and it spread from there.

Looked it up for you. One of the first if not the first case was at Fort Riley Kansas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

#18804 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200411-000641~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200411-000641~2 (resized).png
#18805 3 years ago

#18806 3 years ago

The FDA vs. White House back and forth in regards to how rigorous the vaccine testing will be does not inspire confidence.

#18807 3 years ago

Here is an update from someone that lives near Toronto, Canada.

I live in Ontario and have been back at work since the end of June. My company has employees splitting their time with one week in the office and then the second week working from home. So this reduces the office capacity to 50%. Personally I think this is a waste of time as I have a 1.5 hour commute to downtown Toronto on public transit. When I get to the office, all meetings are conducted on the phone or with Skype so you don't really meet with anyone in person. I can go the entire week and not see anyone from my department. We have an agile workplace so you have no assigned seating. It is pretty well a ghost town in the downtown core. Both my kids are back at their high school full time (8:30-2:45) each day and they have split up the grades throughout the school in case one kid gets sick, they don't have to close the entire school, at worst just the kids in that grade. Ontario was doing pretty good with daily cases going down to about 100 at one point but now we are back at about 400 cases per day. Not sure if they will tighten the restrictions more in the near future. I suspect the border will stay close until the end of the year. Most of the employees that work for the major banks have been told they will not have to return to the office until January and some have been already told the spring of 2021.

#18808 3 years ago

Zoom needs a 'wrap it up' button like they play at the Oscars

#18809 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

The FDA vs. White House back and forth in regards to how rigorous the vaccine testing will be does not inspire confidence.

I can't imagine there's anybody in the country at this point who believes any vaccine released this year will be anything but rat poison.

#18810 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

Yeah , England is cracking down hard .
The pubs have to close by 10 p.m.

Don't most pubs in England already close at 10pm, except in London proper? My sister lives about 45 minutes out of London in a nearby city and all the little 200 year old neighborhood pubs all closed at 10pm, it totally surprised me when I was visiting.

#18811 3 years ago

The US surpasses 7 million cases today with another 900 people dead and increasing cases in 23 states. Florida has relaxed all Covid-19 restrictions on restaurants. Florida had one of the highest if not the highest death rate of all states.

The only other precedent we have is the Spanish flu pandemic. The second wave of the Spanish flu started to spike this time in 1918. Let’s hope the current predicted models for another 180,000 200,000 by January 2021 are incorrect.

C35D87A5-603E-4702-8073-7237065B671B (resized).jpegC35D87A5-603E-4702-8073-7237065B671B (resized).jpeg

BB13487E-0103-4141-AAEC-3BDD6C1A6BE7 (resized).jpegBB13487E-0103-4141-AAEC-3BDD6C1A6BE7 (resized).jpeg

#18812 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can't imagine there's anybody in the country at this point who believes any vaccine released this year will be anything but rat poison.

What I wonder is if the group that does not think wearing a mask is beneficial will even bother to get a vaccine when a proved one becomes available? Since many of them think this virus is a hoax, why would they bother with a vaccine?

#18813 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you take enough, it's probably 100% effective at keeping you from contracting Covid.

#18814 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You clearly haven’t been watching the Stock Market thread. The old investment guru over there thinks the magic bullet is out tomorrow.

#18815 3 years ago

As shared, DeSantis opens All Bars and Restaurants.
From Orlando Hospital Covid Ward Doctors and nurses, "WTF!!"

#18817 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

The dumb thing to do is crazy extreme lockdown, like Vic..

Yeah , our crazy extreme Lockdown has had us go from over 700 cases a day , down to 12 today .

Quoted from razorsedge:

Can I ask there mate, did you lose your job or livelyhood or ability to live? ...

I haven't lost my job , I make medical equipment and we have been flat out because of all of this .

Quoted from razorsedge:

it doesn't seem like you care a whole lot for many whom have?

Actually it's the opposite , because I care about businesses and people who have lost their jobs is why I want our country to get back to normal as soon as possible .
I suppose it's easy to make judgements when South Australia has had under 500 cases and 4 deaths , where as we have had over 20,000 cases and almost 800 deaths .

IMG_20200926_213424 (resized).jpgIMG_20200926_213424 (resized).jpg
#18818 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

You clearly haven’t been watching the Stock Market thread. The old investment guru over there thinks the magic bullet is out tomorrow.

My personal prediction is that the first doses of vaccine will be given to healthcare workers sometime around Feb-March.

#18820 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

My personal prediction is that the first doses of vaccine will be given to healthcare workers sometime around Feb-March.

I wonder if they will also push it out to the military real quickly.

#18822 3 years ago

That sounds very realistic. And is still a laser-focused, super efficient and lightning-quick development. That transverse myelitis case was really a concern, and they have all certainly been back peddling on any suggestion of the October Surprise assist for Trump. I don’t know what he’s intent to stick into someone’s are by 11/3, but it won’t be a vaccine for COVID-19.

#18823 3 years ago

"There were 55,054 new coronavirus cases reported across the United States on Friday, according to Johns Hopkins University.

That’s the highest single-day reporting of new cases since August 14, when the US reported 64,350 new cases in 24 hours."

Here we go again. Square Peg, round hole, we keep doing the same mistakes.....

#18824 3 years ago

I saw this on Reddit:

Screenshot_20200926-091800~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200926-091800~2 (resized).png
#18825 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

No one here would disagree that the hotel quarantine was a total f**** up.

I do give him credit for not caving in to the opposition and people with views like you . If we'd relaxed these restrictions ages ago like you suggested , we would have had thousands of deaths and many more cases by now .
That would hold the whole country back .

#18826 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I saw this on Reddit:[quoted image]

At least in 536 AD they didn't have to wear face masks and could still go to theme parks . In 2020 , we have to sit on the couch and speak to people via the Internet .

#18827 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I saw this on Reddit:[quoted image]

And each "plague" we had, brought different results. The Plague of Justinian, (541-549) mentioned above, so devastated society,
that the major changes in religion occurred. Islam, and the final push of Christianity, cemented a new direction we are still
addressing today. Serapis, Mithra, Zoroastrian, Druze, to name a few, all dwindled to minimums, or disappeared.

Will we have a cultural or spiritual change from this?

#18828 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

"There were 55,054 new coronavirus cases reported across the United States on Friday, according to Johns Hopkins University.
That’s the highest single-day reporting of new cases since August 14, when the US reported 64,350 new cases in 24 hours."
Here we go again. Square Peg, round hole, we keep doing the same mistakes.....

I keep hearing on tv and print that we would save x amount of lives by the new year if 95% of us wore masks. And thought, I grew up with the Vietnam war and its mess. And if we all just wore masks like they do in eastern countries, we would have less total amount of U.S. deaths starting from now to end of year than the whole Vietnam War. Just by wearing masks. How selfish and obstinate are we? We won the cold war, but we're losing the Facebook war.

#18829 3 years ago

And in other news, DeSantis has decided Florida is ready to fully reopen again.

Cue the Jaws music....

#18830 3 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

I keep hearing on tv and print that we would save x amount of lives by the new year if 95% of us wore masks. And thought, I grew up with the Vietnam war and its mess. And if we all just wore masks like they do in eastern countries, we would have less total amount of U.S. deaths starting from now to end of year than the whole Vietnam War. Just by wearing masks. How selfish and obstinate are we? We won the cold war, but we're losing the Facebook war.

So, those countries that typically wear masks have a much lower percentage rate than the US? Substantially lower?

I feel its very difficult to compare countries as population densities, hygiene conditions, and numerous other factors can dramatically taint results.

In the end, I'm not too confident anyone really knows what's going on,,,, or at least is telling us. Imagine if our world governments and health organizations said "Shit, there is no way to control this virus, we should tell everyone." I'm not saying that's the case, but I offer it up for discussion.

#18831 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Will we have a cultural or spiritual change from this?

Have read where some of the preachers and pastors are worried that peoples' habit will change. So many people are not attending church, the preachers worry that many of them will not come back to church again. Ever.

I understand their fear. I have not been to church in years, more like decades.

#18833 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

So, those countries that typically wear masks have a much lower percentage rate than the US? Substantially lower?
I feel its very difficult to compare countries as population densities, hygiene conditions, and numerous other factors can dramatically taint results.
In the end, I'm not too confident anyone really knows what's going on,,,, or at least is telling us. Imagine if our world governments and health organizations said "Shit, there is no way to control this virus, we should tell everyone." I'm not saying that's the case, but I offer it up for discussion.

I submit to you South Korea.

#18834 3 years ago

Coming into winter. Sort of looks like the bottom is in.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 11.25.10 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-26 at 11.25.10 AM (resized).png

Which way is this one going to go?

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 11.25.25 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-26 at 11.25.25 AM (resized).png

#18835 3 years ago

Cue the Jaws music....

Yup, game on in Florida.
Let's see how this works out the next 60 days or so.
At least most of Europe can't fly in yet.
Curious to find out when the parks will drop there face mask requirements and attendance restrictions.
Im supposed to go to a spacex launch in March, so I'm watching closely, but not booking room or flight till late Jan.
When I do Fly, I have my PPE ready.

downloadfile_302885506175499 (resized).jpgdownloadfile_302885506175499 (resized).jpg
#18836 3 years ago

Cue the Jaws music....

Indiana fully reopened today too despite cases rising in the state. Notre Dame University has a big outbreak and their football team had to postpone today's game.

#18837 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I submit to you South Korea.

Yes, but to take only one country is disingenuous, no?

My point being, this a global pandemic and no one seems safe from being a statistic.

#18838 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

1) Masks work on cutting down on the spread. The data is out there.
2) Asian countries have been wearing masks for decades. They have lower infection rates/deaths than the US.
3) You said "taint"

#18839 3 years ago

Too bad to hear about that. I’ve been all over the country for work and unfortunately I can’t agree with the “MN nice” phrase anymore. I’ve received great hospitality in many other regions of the country. That being said I was born in MN and currently live here now.

#18840 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

My point being, this a global pandemic and no one seems safe from being a statistic.

Ok, but keep in mind South Korea is a fantastic comparison.

Here are some more that have been doing good to great:

New Zealand
Hong Kong
Iceland
Germany
Finland

#18841 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

1) Masks work on cutting down on the spread. The data is out there.
2) Asian countries have been wearing masks for decades. They have lower infection rates/deaths than the US.
3) You said "taint"

Taint!

So the traditional mask wearing countries have a lesser degree pandemic then. That's what I was asking.

#18842 3 years ago

Fall mountains, just don't fall on me.

120199158_3551666678210917_6666517690648157279_n (resized).jpg120199158_3551666678210917_6666517690648157279_n (resized).jpg
#18845 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I would argue that the US is doing the worst, hands down. We have a half-ass mask mandate with half of the citizens not taking this pandemic seriously. I'm going to go with this one: one country gets their shit in gear and they do well while another country can't get its collective head out of its ass. The US is at #1 200K plus deaths with over 7 MILLION infections. The US is a collective miserable failure when dealing with this pandemic. Life is not without death and risks but to just deride "one country" as a statistic when there are many, many others doing much better (New Zealand for instance) is beyond disingenuous and just plain ornery.

#18846 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Has anybody here flown in the last few months?

Yes, several times.

#18847 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

So, can we expect the candy companies to start lobbying Congress to keep Halloween open? Can we expect the dentistry industry to lobby along with the candy companies? No candy; No cavities. No cavities = no fillings = no money for us.
I'm serious about the candy companies and joking about the dentists.

This came up two weeks ago in SoCal. Candy lobby got involved as this affects their livelihood.

#18849 3 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

I would argue that the US is doing the worst,

If you are wondering how the rest of the world thinks USA is doing with covid, then just try to cross your border and leave the USA. Home of the free, as long as you don’t want to leave. Most of the world is not allowing travellers from the USA into their country. Even Canada has closed our border to USA, and we don’t plan to reopen anytime soon. You’re our best closest neighbours and we don’t even want you to come visit right now.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 377 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/377?hl=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.