272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 376 of 576.
#18750 3 years ago

I’ve been wearing a mask 8 hours a day, Monday-Friday since February.

So, forgive me if I have little patience for those who can’t handle wearing one for an hour or two in public.

#18753 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

Our numbers are a bit up and down , 24 today , 11 yesterday .
Personally I'd rather be in lockdown a bit longer to stamp this out , than to be like England where they're back up to over 4000 cases a day .
Wuhan where this all started was in lockdown for 6 weeks , we're up to 7 weeks .
They had a lot harsher Lockdown than us but it does show you , if you're prepared to do it , you can minimise this virus .

Yeah hey, look at England or the UK huh...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Without selectively ignoring statistical data. UK same as nearly everywhere else. Covid is done but the propoganda machine is not. Coverage of deaths is gone now that they happen so much less... instead focusing on "infection" in a bid to keep fear rolling along. It is blatant in the "news media" here too.

2020-09-23 16.15.29.png2020-09-23 16.15.29.png

2020-09-23 16.16.05.png2020-09-23 16.16.05.png

Ignorance is not the answer.

If nobody has picked up on it, China is letting it run because that turns out to be more sensible and effective than unsustainable "containment". They will all have good resistance there eventually... and some parts of the west, well, not so much. Of course, they are trying to keep it pretty low key, for a multitude of reasons.

It was once front and centre. We now have to look Waaaaaaayy down the bottom of the page, scroll endlessly, after every other form of data you care to imagine, we find the daily deaths data and charts... you don't need to be looking at that too much though ...

Blinkers off everyone!

#18754 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Without selectively ignoring statistical data. UK same as nearly everywhere else. Covid is done but the propoganda machine is not. Coverage of deaths is gone now that they happen so much less... instead focusing on "infection" in a bid to keep fear rolling along. It is blatant in the "news media" here too.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
If nobody has picked up on it, China is letting it run because that turns out to be more sensible and effective than unsustainable "containment". They will all have good resistance there eventually... and some parts of the west, well, not so much. Of course, they are trying to keep it pretty low key, for a multitude of reasons.
It was once front and centre. We now have to look Waaaaaaayy down the bottom of the page, scroll endlessly, after every other form of data you care to imagine, we find the daily deaths data and charts... you don't need to be looking at that too much though ...
Blinkers off everyone!

And we're back to people counting only deaths and ignoring everything else. In the Netherlands the mainstream media isn't perfect, but it's not like they're denying that the number of deaths has declined a lot, even though the virus still does a lot of damage and the numbers of infected is growing fast. I suppose it's no difference in the USA, Australia and other countries, but it seems to me it's easier for a lot of people to deny that and pretend they're being lied to all the time, with help from 'honoust' media who tell them how it really is and that the simple minds are being lied to, and only the smarter ones know what's really going on. It's always nice to think you're smarter than most others.....
At least above is the impression I'm getting.

#18755 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

More and more it's looking like all the hand sanitizing and surface cleaning won't really matter, only wearing a mask will prevent the spread of Covid-19:
https://elemental.medium.com/the-most-likely-way-youll-get-infected-with-covid-19-30430384e5a5

Thank you for that link, it's interesting to read. I did get that impression by seperate news-articles, but it often is a 'I think I'm reading mostly that....', but 'we've put some information together and draw conclusions' feels better than that first thought.

#18756 3 years ago

I am not sure what this means for other states, as it has not been in the news nationally. A federal judge struck down PA's stay at home order and gathering limits as unconstitutional. It sounds to me that the limits on gathering size cannot be enforced any longer. This is a shame, because we, as a state, seem to have been doing pretty well for a while. But the legislature is about to overrule the governors veto on a bill allowing high school sports to allow any number of fans the school deems appropriate.

"In his 66-page ruling, Stickman found the governor’s orders, though “well-intentioned” to protect Pennsylvanians from the coronavirus, violated the First Amendment, and the Equal Protection Clause and Due Process Clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment."

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/09/federal-judge-denies-gov-tom-wolfs-request-for-stay-on-pandemic-restrictions-ruling.html

Incidentally, my place of employment has about 225 people across 3 shifts. We did not shut down or alter our business in any way other than temperature checks and mandatory mask usage. Zero covid cases the entire time until last week. We have 3 positive cases in the last week now...and we still can't get some of the ignorant pricks to wear their masks while working. Discipline appears to not be an option because we cannot get enough manpower as it is, and we don't want to make the ones here mad. Go figure. One manager wants employees who feel sick to go get tested, but come back to work until their test comes back. I can't even make this stuff up.

#18757 3 years ago
Quoted from sven:

And we're back to people counting only deaths and ignoring everything else. In the Netherlands the mainstream media isn't perfect, but it's not like they're denying that the number of deaths has declined a lot, even though the virus still does a lot of damage and the numbers of infected is growing fast. I suppose it's no difference in the USA, Australia and other countries, but it seems to me it's easier for a lot of people to deny that and pretend they're being lied to all the time, with help from 'honoust' media who tell them how it really is and that the simple minds are being lied to, and only the smarter ones know what's really going on. It's always nice to think you're smarter than most others.....
At least above is the impression I'm getting.

I know right?

Everyone repeat after me: there is a delay between rise in cases and rise in deaths. Look at England (or anywhere) in 4 weeks after a spike in cases and THEN if there is no rise in hospitalizations or deaths you can breathe easier.

If the past is prologue, the spike in cases is the blinking red light that is telling you to prepare for impact.

#18758 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I know right?
Everyone repeat after me: there is a delay between rise in cases and rise in deaths.

Same in France - we start to see an increase in all Hospitalizations (left), E.R. Hospitalizations (middle) and deaths (right)
Still not matching the large and scary increase in cases, most likely because the Covid+ patients are generally younger... the older people were more cautious and less exposed.

In additions, hospitals tend to be better prepared, so your chances of dying are lower.

Capture d’écran 2020-09-23 à 16.03.42 (resized).pngCapture d’écran 2020-09-23 à 16.03.42 (resized).png
#18759 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

So, forgive me if I have little patience for those who can’t handle wearing one for an hour or two in public.

I understand your point, however, you DID choose your field of work.

#18760 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Breaking news! Trick or Treating Door to door not recommended!
Shocking I know.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/holidays.html#halloween

So, can we expect the candy companies to start lobbying Congress to keep Halloween open? Can we expect the dentistry industry to lobby along with the candy companies? No candy; No cavities. No cavities = no fillings = no money for us.

I'm serious about the candy companies and joking about the dentists.

#18761 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I know right?
Everyone repeat after me: there is a delay between rise in cases and rise in deaths. Look at England (or anywhere) in 4 weeks after a spike in cases and THEN if there is no rise in hospitalizations or deaths you can breathe easier.
If the past is prologue, the spike in cases is the blinking red light that is telling you to prepare for impact.

If you can not see the graphs the delay period has long been and gone. Indeed see in 4 weeks as well though if you really must, although by then there'll probably be a new big attraction I suppose. Plenty of denial and ignoring going about, anyway.

If only people had a similar degree of scepticism for suspicious and risky, rushed, mass coronavirus vaccines... perhaps things could look brighter.

#18762 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Same in France - we start to see an increase in all Hospitalizations (left), E.R. Hospitalizations (middle) and deaths (right)
Still not matching the large and scary increase in cases, most likely because the Covid+ patients are generally younger... the older people were more cautious and less exposed.
In additions, hospitals tend to be better prepared, so your chances of dying are lower.[quoted image]

Unlabeled unreferenced graphs can be harder to interpret, and consider. Have to note the scale too. Also can we get daily cases put on top of any of those graphs?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/376#post-5866988

Very interesting. Data is not just data. Some is more prominent than other. Who would have thunk it.

And now we all have more work to do. "...that's the waaaaay the news goes!"

#18763 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

He's not complaining about wearing a mask, he's complaining about the idiots who complain about wearing a mask.

#18764 3 years ago

Working from home in March vs. September:

Screenshot_20200923-101025~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200923-101025~2 (resized).png
#18765 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Blinkers off everyone!

Perhaps you would like to be living in India.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 10.09.28 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-23 at 10.09.28 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 10.09.43 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-23 at 10.09.43 AM (resized).png

#18766 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

He's not complaining about wearing a mask, he's complaining about the idiots who complain about wearing a mask.

Ding, ding, ding. What does he win, Bob?

#18767 3 years ago

Ding, ding, ding. What does he win, Bob?

An N95 mask

#18768 3 years ago

This is an ice cold take. What the fuck?

#18769 3 years ago

One can actually find their readability index when they use over 100 words. These can help one to fit their writings to their audience. Reccomended business writing = 14th grade. Pinside = ???

Learning how to make your writing more readable can help get your point across. Brevity can also equate to more comprehension to the reader.

Students at our old school found that when their readability was closer to their intended audience, their successes went up.

#18770 3 years ago

Quoted from jamesmc:

One can actually find their readability index when they use over 100 words. These can help one to fit their writings to their audience. Reccomended business writing = 14th grade. Pinside = ???
Learning how to make your writing more readable can help get your point across. Brevity can also equate to more comprehension to the reader.
Students at our old school found that when their readability was closer to their intended audience, their successes went up.

The Doc could have not been more brief. Two sentences only.

#18771 3 years ago

Like those fire fighters who risk life and limb running in to pull people out of burning apartment complexes.

They also chose their field of work, so why should the apartment owners feel bad for not maintaining functional smoke detectors and fire escapes?

#18772 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

This is an ice cold take. What the fuck?

I would try to explain my reasoning to you, but as I observe you as an extremist in your views on this, I'm not going to bother with you.

For anyone else who cares (or doesn't), here's the thing:

I don't like em. I wear them because I understand the science. Doesn't mean I like it. My kids don't like it. My athlete daughter ESPECIALLY doesn't like it.

I get particularly annoyed when others feel the need to shout down from their high horse with their "holier than thou" attitude about this topic and immediately shame anyone who doesn't share their own viewpoint.

I get it. Doc's gotta wear a mask all day. My mother's a nurse. She wears one all day, and has bitched about it forever. I have three aunts and one cousin who are also doctors, nurses, dental hygienists, chiropractors, pharmacists, and more. Plenty of health care workers in my life around me all the time. They all hate wearing masks all day, and bitch about it all the time. That's pretty much been the case for decades. I let them. It's their prerogative. I don't care. Feel free to bitch about it, or don't.

Until this summer, I didn't have to wear a mask in public. Now I do. It's annoying. But I do it. And I'll complain about it. You wanna chastise me because you think there's some "higher purpose" behind your chastisement, fine. Doesn't mean I like it. You could just do you thing and move on. But instead others need to belittle people's feelings as not important enough for consideration. And that's fine. It's not like you're changing anyone's opinion, ever. Go on with your righteous diatribes.

/rant

#18773 3 years ago

I would try to explain my reasoning to you, but as I observe you as an extremist in your views on this, I'm not going to bother with you.
For anyone else who cares (or doesn't), here's the thing:
I don't like em. I wear them because I understand the science. Doesn't mean I like it. My kids don't like it. My athlete daughter ESPECIALLY doesn't like it.
I get particularly annoyed when others feel the need to shout down from their high horse with their "holier than thou" attitude about this topic and immediately shame anyone who doesn't share their own viewpoint.
I get it. Doc's gotta wear a mask all day. My mother's a nurse. She wears one all day, and has bitched about it forever. I have three aunts and one cousin who are also doctors, nurses, dental hygienists, chiropractors, pharmacists, and more. Plenty of health care workers in my life around me all the time. They all hate wearing masks all day, and bitch about it all the time. That's pretty much been the case for decades. I let them. It's their prerogative. I don't care. Feel free to bitch about it, or don't.
Until this summer, I didn't have to wear a mask in public. Now I do. It's annoying. But I do it. And I'll complain about it. You wanna chastise me because you think there's some "higher purpose" behind your chastisement, fine. Doesn't mean I like it. You could just do you thing and move on. But instead others need to belittle people's feelings as not important enough for consideration. And that's fine. It's not like you're changing anyone's opinion, ever. Go on with your righteous diatribes.
/rant

When you mom is complaining about wearing a mask all day do you say “tough shit you chose your career!”

If not, which level health care worker relative does the brutal honest truth start out at? Aunt? Cousin?

#18774 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When you mom is complaining about wearing a mask all day do you say “tough shit you chose your career!”
If not, which level health care worker relative does the brutal honest truth start out at? Aunt? Cousin?

If I tried it, it would soon be at the ex-wife level.

#18775 3 years ago

Some people suck.

#18776 3 years ago

The longer some people refuse to protect each other the longer we will have to keep protecting each other. Maybe freedom is a choise but when some countries economy will go completely down the drain and create a deficit of trillions of dollars maybe then people will care more.

#18777 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yep. I've said it many times. My wife says it to me all the time when I bitch about my job. We're a pretty pragmatic family. Not a lot of compassion for bitching to be found. Probably because there's so much of it. Deal with your situation, or change your situation.

But there IS tolerance. We may not agree with someone's viewpoint, but we don't judge them for it. Everyone fights battles.

#18778 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I know there is a push for everyone to get their flu vaccine this year (again). I was wondering though, wouldn't it seem logical with all the masks, distancing, and hyper-cleaning, that this truly should not be a large flu season? I'm not getting into get/don't get the shot but the ads are up and made me think.
So, reasonably (at least I'm thinking at this point) it should be a very low flu infection rate this year. Maybe common cold too?

I'm getting it, but I will say I haven't been sick since January, this is the longest I've ever gone without getting sick. It turns out having no contact with other people and wearing a mask in public prevents you from getting sick, go figure.

#18779 3 years ago

We just started phasing people back into work in-person a few weeks ago with rotating very small teams... and someone came down with the virus, so their team is now back home again on quarantine for 2 weeks.

Everyone close to me that has gotten the virus so far has recovered, but some have long lasting health problems. But I keep seeing friends post on Facebook about their friends and relatives dying from it and it's starting to skew younger, people in their 40s and 50s dying, that's a pretty scary trend that makes it all feel a lot more serious to me.

#18780 3 years ago

Woodworking is one of my hobbies so I’m used to wearing a dust clogged N95 mask for hours on end. Breathing through one of them is much more difficult then a flimsy piece of cloth. If I don’t wear a mask while I woodwork, then I don’t sleep well that night and snore like a freight train. 20 years ago I would act tough and pretend a little dust won’t hurt me, but here I am, wiser then I was back then knowing their benefit.

#18781 3 years ago

Yep. I've said it many times. My wife says it to me all the time when I bitch about my job. We're a pretty pragmatic family. Not a lot of compassion for bitching to be found. Probably because there's so much of it. Deal with your situation, or change your situation.
But there IS tolerance. We may not agree with someone's viewpoint, but we don't judge them for it. Everyone fights battles.

Do you guys get invited to a lot of parties?

#18782 3 years ago

Mother in law was just informed a coworker who fell ill adjacent to her on the line tested positive. So now she is on unpaid pto. She hasn’t believed this is real and we have had some very strong arguments with her about it. She hasn’t done more than the bare minimum to protect herself either.

My father in law is about as high risk as they come.

Now we wait.

#18783 3 years ago

Dude, maybe 2020 isn't the year to be digging up 27 mummies? Just a thought...

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/egypt-sarcophagi-discovery-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

#18784 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Mother in law was just informed a coworker who fell ill adjacent to her on the line tested positive. So now she is on unpaid pto. She hasn’t believed this is real and we have had some very strong arguments with her about it. She hasn’t done more than the bare minimum to protect herself either.
My father in law is about as high risk as they come.
Now we wait.

This reminds me of my friends parents in Oregon, her dad was refusing to pack up their stuff and prepare to evacuate when one of the wildfires was getting close to their town. He argued with my friend and said no way it would hit them. 3 hours later they got out with just their dog and the clothes on their back and lost everything... photos, money, jewelry, favorite art, record collection, all because they didn't listen and weren't willing to be prepared and take precautions.

#18785 3 years ago

Enjoy flying - and even business class does not protect you:

Genomes show coronavirus spread on flight

Genetic evidence strongly suggests that at least one member of a married couple flying from the United States to Hong Kong infected two flight attendants during the trip.

Researchers led by Leo Poon at the University of Hong Kong and Deborah Watson-Jones at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine studied four people on the early-March flight (E. M. Choi et al. Emerg. Infect. Dis. https://doi-org.proxy.insermbiblio.inist.fr/d9jn; 2020). Two were a husband and wife travelling in business class. The others were crew members: one in business class and one whose cabin assignment is unknown. The passengers had travelled in Canada and the United States before the flight and tested positive for the new coronavirus soon after arriving in Hong Kong. The flight attendants tested positive shortly thereafter.

The team found that the viral genomes of all four were identical and that their virus was a close genetic relative of some North American SARS‑CoV-2 samples — but not of the SARS‑CoV-2 prevalent in Hong Kong. This suggests that one or both of the passengers transmitted the virus to the crew members during the flight, the authors say. The authors add that no previous reports of in-flight spread have been supported by genetic evidence.

(found in Nature News - September 23)

#18786 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Perhaps you would like to be living in India.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thank you for putting up that info!

It seems testing/recording started a bit later in India?. Looks a bit like they're still in a drawn out first wave, or just full spread... there are probably heaps more deaths really too, Cv deaths would surely be under reported hey?

Will be interesting to see the direction things go there. They let it loose worse than Sweden did ...

At least two more very interesting points yet to go about those India graphs, that most people might not have really noticed at all?

Like someone here noted, sometimes less is more. Maybe someone else can spot some other less obvious interesting points.

I barely got started... stopped short now though.

Gotta play pinball I'm up!

#18787 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Blinkers off everyone!

Yeah , England is cracking down hard .
The pubs have to close by 10 p.m.
An English correspondent was on the radio today and he said they could be at 50,000 cases a day with the way it's going and they're going to have restrictions for 6 more months .
They're an Island like us and could get on top of it if they wanted .
The way I see it is - you have two options .
1 Have a proper Lockdown and try to crush it .
2 Business as usual and whatever happens , happens .
What's the point in half doing it , you'll still have deaths and stuff your economy .
Both options suck but if I had to choose one , I would go with number one .
Economies can bounce back but dead people can't .

#18788 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

Yeah , England is cracking down hard .
The pubs have to close by 10 p.m.
An English correspondent was on the radio today and he said they could be at 50,000 cases a day with the way it's going and they're going to have restrictions for 6 more months .
They're an Island like us and could get on top of it if they wanted .
The way I see it is - you have two options .
1 Have a proper Lockdown and try to crush it .
2 Business as usual and whatever happens , happens .
What's the point in half doing it , you'll still have deaths and stuff your economy .
Both options suck but if I had to choose one , I would go with number one .
Economies can bounce back but dead people can't .

The dumb thing to do is crazy extreme lockdown, like Vic.. Look at you mob atm there, seriously crippling Australias economy just because of a retarded premiers screw up, and the resulting 180 degree over-compensation type power trip, and no other good reason. Can I ask there mate, did you lose your job or livelyhood or ability to live? ... it doesn't seem like you care a whole lot for many whom have?

"Hey look you guys have it worked out now hey!" (not) .... try a sensible approach perhaps for a change, like NSW, and snap out of your unreality bubble there dudes!

If those few daily deaths were rising consistently with positive tests, 2 weeks lagging, (which they are not) your reasoning might not be as questionable.

Also you excluded a third reasonable option which is; 3. Start by suppressing it whatever way you can, and as you learn about it evolve the response accordingly.

I would advocate for the third. The actions you have there have not suited the threat very well at all. Totally Inadequate at the start (with incompetence), followed by unreasonable over-reaction (and more incompetence). At least your man Dan is consistent with the incompetence theme.

#18789 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

This reminds me of my friends parents in Oregon, her dad was refusing to pack up their stuff and prepare to evacuate when one of the wildfires was getting close to their town. He argued with my friend and said no way it would hit them. 3 hours later they got out with just their dog and the clothes on their back and lost everything... photos, money, jewelry, favorite art, record collection, all because they didn't listen and weren't willing to be prepared and take precautions.

To add to my post, the exceedingly frustrating thing is apparently my mother in law has been home since Tuesday (sent home mon/tues during third shift) and we are just finding out about it.

Meanwhile, sister in law has known since day 1...and has taken mother in law out shopping and to dinner since. Masks out and about, (only because that’s the rule right now) but no masks at home. Sister in law also doesn’t believe this is real.

Wife had a loong, loud, “discussion” with her sister last night who at the end agreed to be safe. Then this morning she posted on Facebook about looking forward to her upcoming resort trip this weekend.

Rest of the family agrees with the mom, so now we are the black sheep.

#18790 3 years ago

Our governor from Missouri and his wife have just both tested positive with Covid-19 (the wife was showing symptoms which was the cause for the testing). We truly are the "Show-Me" state. Wishing them a full recovery. Be careful out there.

#18791 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Enjoy flying - and even business class does not protect you:
Genomes show coronavirus spread on flight
Genetic evidence strongly suggests that at least one member of a married couple flying from the United States to Hong Kong infected two flight attendants during the trip.
Researchers led by Leo Poon at the University of Hong Kong and Deborah Watson-Jones at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine studied four people on the early-March flight (E. M. Choi et al. Emerg. Infect. Dis. https://doi-org.proxy.insermbiblio.inist.fr/d9jn; 2020). Two were a husband and wife travelling in business class. The others were crew members: one in business class and one whose cabin assignment is unknown. The passengers had travelled in Canada and the United States before the flight and tested positive for the new coronavirus soon after arriving in Hong Kong. The flight attendants tested positive shortly thereafter.
The team found that the viral genomes of all four were identical and that their virus was a close genetic relative of some North American SARS‑CoV-2 samples — but not of the SARS‑CoV-2 prevalent in Hong Kong. This suggests that one or both of the passengers transmitted the virus to the crew members during the flight, the authors say. The authors add that no previous reports of in-flight spread have been supported by genetic evidence.
(found in Nature News - September 23)

( this is one of those "live" videos that sort of disappear so I will add the text).

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-09-24-20-intl/h_fe1fc9e4d1e3b6d4fb9aafa41e9c8a0f.
=================================================================

But I want to hi-light this paragraph:

( " "You are a lot safer in an airplane... than you are probably in your own home," Nick Calio of Airlines for America told CNN on Tuesday. "People don’t like being in a confined space, however, as opposed to being in your house, in a grocery store, in a church, in a bar or restaurant, or even a playground, you’re a lot better off.”)

Hmmm. that's quite a sales pitch, Nick, but I think I would rather go to the grocery store or play ground as opposed to climbing into a tubular sardine can packed with people. Like take the two words, "safer" and "probably". Neither of those two words comfort me much there, Nick. Say, Nick, since you are working in the airline industry, are you sure you are not motivated to maybe...ah.. stretch the truth a little bit? You not lying to me are you?
================================================================================

"The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now says thousands of passengers on board commercial flights may have been exposed to coronavirus since the start of 2020.

"In a statement emailed to CNN, the CDC says it was made aware of 1,600 flights between January and August where a person on board may have had Covid-19, potentially exposing 10,900 people "within a 6-foot range for droplet transmission" to coronavirus.

"CDC identified and notified relevant health departments about these 10,900 on-board close contacts," said the statement.

"CDC said it has received reports of Covid-19 cases among people who were identified as contacts on flights, but noted this data is limited by incomplete contact information, delayed notification of an infectious traveler and incomplete information about testing and outcomes for contacts, among other factors.

"The new data, first reported by The Washington Post, comes as air carriers are ratcheting up their insistence that air travel is safe. Air travel in the United States remains at roughly 30% of last year's levels.

"You are a lot safer in an airplane... than you are probably in your own home," Nick Calio of Airlines for America told CNN on Tuesday. "People don’t like being in a confined space, however, as opposed to being in your house, in a grocery store, in a church, in a bar or restaurant, or even a playground, you’re a lot better off.”

"In June, Vice President Mike Pence called for airlines to implement a contact-tracing app, but no announcement has been made since.

#18792 3 years ago

Has anybody here flown in the last few months?

I know I'll have to at some point but I do not see that point in my immediate future.

#18793 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Has anybody here flown in the last few months?

Yep - 3 times; all 3 for business. Airports were empty / depressing. Controls when going back to France were laughable - they checked my passport (not my temperature) even when flying intra EU. This translated into a 40-minutes wait in a confined room with no way to practice social distancing with hundreds of others ...

#18794 3 years ago

Just like the Spanish Flu 100 years ago....most of the world got it by troops returning home from WWI.
Fast forward to Covid....most of the world got it by flying people around the planet from Dec- till April lockdown.
If only Facemasks would had been mandatory by Jan 31st, we would have 2/3 less global death.
Good luck all, second wave coming to a country near you by Dec again.
My favorite new catch phrase...
It's a Pandemic Folks!

#18796 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Just like spanish flu 100 years ago....most of the world got it by troops returning home from WWI.
Fast forward to Covid....most of the world got it by flying people around the planet from Dec- till April lockdown.
If only Facemasks would had been mandatory by Jan 31st, we would have 2/3 less global death.
Good luck all, second wave coming to a country near you by Dec again.
My favorite new catch phrase...
It's a Pandemic Folks!

99% of our second wave cases have come from 2 hotels , where overseas travellers were meant to be in quarantine . The government employed slack arse security guards instead of the police or army to guard the hotels .
My mate came back from Thailand and was in lockdown in a city hotel , yet they would let him out to go for a jog

#18799 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Just like spanish flu 100 years ago....most of the world got it by troops returning home from WWI.

I think you have that backwards. It started in an Army barracks in Kansas, and then we shipped it overseas when our troops went to Europe and it spread from there.

But I'll have to look again. Too many things happening for the last 6 months.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 376 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/376?hl=atrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.