272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 373 of 576.
#18600 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Shit, sorry man. More and more of us will be in that boat as this thing rages on.

Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Sorry for your loss and all loved ones involved sadness at this moment.

Quoted from Gunnut40:

Sorry for your pain and the family’s as well. I loved your vampire restore. That machine is sweet!

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Sorry to hear about your Uncle Colsond, that's awful..

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. My dad passed away when I was only 22, and his younger brother stepped in, and has even treated my daughter as if she were his own grandchild. Great father with 3 kids and two grandkids of his own, that are now left without him. Pretty f@#$in broken right now.

Unlike some others that bash, I like a lot of people on Pinside, usually have a great time here and enjoy the banter. But please....everybody keep yourselves and your families safe until we can get a true grip on this virus (and strangle the hell out of it).

#18601 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I don’t think homelessness or hunger is hoax. After all I don’t know anyone that is homeless or hungry so the numbers and data must be misrepresented by some evil people

I feel this unfair and misleading. The poster didn't mention personally known cases.

#18602 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A vaccine is just around the corner. Perhaps by 11-3. 11-3 ? Sort of sounds like 9-11.
[quoted image]

Hmmmm, what are you driving at here?

#18603 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

The NYPost is like getting your news from the National Enquirer. Fun to read but factual?
From Media Fact Check:
According to an LA Times article, the New York Post was reported to be the preferred newspaper of the U.S. President, who maintains frequent contact with its owner, Rupert Murdoch. The Post, According to a survey conducted by Pace University in 2004, was rated the least-credible major news outlet in New York. Further, The Post has been criticized since the beginning of Murdoch’s ownership for “sensationalism, blatant advocacy, and conservative bias.”
A factual search reveals several failed checks.
Ted Cruz ‘same senator who once supported a ban on sex toys’ – Mostly False
Newly Discovered Planet Could Destroy Earth Any Day Now – False
Hillary Clinton Regularly Had Her Maid Print Classified Documents – Unproven
PS 169 Pledge of Allegiance and Holiday Ban Controversy – Mostly False
‘New York Post’ op-ed rebuts starving children claim that was never made – Pants on Fire
Overall we rate the New York Post on the far end of Right-Center Biased due to story selection that typically favors the Right and Mixed (borderline questionable) for factual reporting based on several failed fact checks. (7/16/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 7/13/2019)

Quoted from gweempose:

Sadly, a lot of people have no idea that their news source is biased. Here's a great chart that shows the bias of some of the most popular online news sources ...
[quoted image]

...hmmm.. the New York Post news is considered moderately conservative. The New York Times and the New Yorker are far left wing biased. People need to focus on getting their news from unbiased sources. This goes for people leaning left as well as right.

#18604 3 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss Colson.

#18605 3 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

...hmmm.. the New York Post news is considered moderately conservative. The New York Times and the New Yorker are far left wing biased. People need to focus on getting their news from unbiased sources. This goes for people leaning left as well as right.

New York Times opinion vs. news
Fox News opinion vs news

Etc...

The news sections are moderate. The opinion sections are the extremities.

At least in the Times and other print media it’s easy for the reader to distinguish the two sections.

TV, not so much.

#18606 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

At least in the Times and other print media it’s easy for the reader to distinguish the two sections. TV, not so much.

This, plus when you buy a newspaper or view it online, the actual news is readily accessible (and makes up 90%+ of the content) even if you like to start on the Editorial Page. With TV, if you tune in for Hannity or Maddow, it's easy to never even view whatever straight news offerings that channel may offer.

#18607 3 years ago

I recently got back from a couple week road trip to California and Oregon until I got chased out by wildfires and smoke. I was pretty amazed at how few people were wearing masks in the smaller towns of Northern and middle California in gas stations and grocery stores. In Washington it's mandatory, it's really rare to see someone without a mask in a store, most won't let you in. It makes me realize why California's infection rate has been so high.

#18608 3 years ago

Ha ha ha!

#18609 3 years ago

Very well written article on why some people are drawn to conspiracy theories (in general) but can apply to the current virus, i.e. wearing masks, vaccines, etc. Topical also with the Department of Health and Human Services spokesman taking 'leave of absence' conspiracy-laden lament.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/people-drawn-to-conspiracy-theories-share-a-cluster-of-psychological-features/

Some of the takeaway's I got:

- "Anxiety - New research suggests that events happening worldwide are nurturing underlying emotions that make people more willing to believe in conspiracies. Experiments have revealed that feelings of anxiety make people think more conspiratorially. Such feelings, along with a sense of disenfranchisement, currently grip many Americans."
- "Feeling alienated or unwanted also seems to make conspiratorial thinking more attractive."
- "It is not just personal crises that encourage individuals to form conspiratorial suspicions. Collective social setbacks do so as well."
- "Conspiracy theories are a human reaction to confusing times."

#18610 3 years ago

Re: that China virologist paper. FYI twitter also took down her account, likely due to her spreading misinformation. Here is another hot take:

The claims in the paper were rejected by the wider scientific community. "[The] report cannot be given any credibility in its current form," Andrew Preston, who is an expert in microbial pathogenesis at the U.K.'s University of Bath.

#18611 3 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

I stick with BBC America and I listen to Up First podcast on NPR on my way to work. Up first is slightly left leaning but overall seems to be fairly center to me.

#18612 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm sorry for your loss Colson.

Thanks bro.

#18616 3 years ago

So i have been exposed to COVID again. I am on the road and my wife calls me and says she is positive. She gets tested every week by her employer. My daughter, who is in college, has also tested positive. What we think happened is that my daughter roommate went home and contracted it while home over the holiday. My daughter came home last Wednesday for a doctors appointment and left on Friday. During the weekend my wife starts complaining about her allergies, daughter also is complaining about allergies. None of us think anything about it.

I am a couple of states away, I ask wife if I should come home. She says fewer people in the house is better. Daughter is coming home for quarantine. My 2 youngest have no symptoms. I don’t have any symptoms.

My plan is to get tested tomorrow, hopefully I can find a rapid test place. I am planning on moving forward with my business trip, unless it comes back positive. I am traveling alone in a vehicle, I am ordering room service for meals. I mask up whenever I am in public and keep distance from everyone. My next meeting is Monday, this business trip is scheduled till October 5th. This sucks.

#18617 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

.... the numbers and the data that is being collected and misrepresented by some very evil people.
On a side note its coming out that this virus was created in a Wuhan laboratory and that it was intentionally released by the Chinese government....just as I expected the whole time. I would love to say more but I will just leave it at that.

"Expected", the basic key word in there.

Fake news for starting WW3. Evil is Not the collective citizens of Any country. Most people are good, like, the vast majority. The rare Individual of any tribe may be most evil, sometimes the Leaders. Not excluding Any "tribe" from the posibilities. Usually not even so much the leaders, but "leaders" of global "groups". What else is anyone gonna use these illegal para-military services for?? .... Good?? , well I suppose there Is that possibility. "Bad" is rarer, but they stick well together and cheaters win... that is, generally filter "upward".

Analyze His story ... I mean history

It isn't a huge leap, but it's certainly a daunting puddle of mud to consider, no matter how brave you be.

We should clean inside our own house, before pointing at how dirty the neighbours house might be...

#18618 3 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

"News" from only a single source doesn't seem to allow a person to form a ballanced view, particularly if it is a single "mainstream" source.

Yep, investigating and filtering/cross referencing the high proportions of rubbish to make proper sense of anything is actually hard work, and time consuming. Little surprise really that the general majority wouldn't have the time (nor motivation) spare to do such detailed checking and investigating to the quantities required.

It gets less confusing once one can acknowledge a few less considered base-lines. Establish realities begining again from none, starting with most verifyable. Build with reason and ... well a tight definition on "fact", recognising that information can be speculation, or questionable information. You soon notice, a very few reasonable bits here and there become... hidden; while on the interwebs a whole lot of junk, nonsensi-crap, propoganda, and blabber brain continues to "go viral".

Breathing? ... Check!

Am I in a smokescreen??? ....

*inconclusive*

#18619 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Very well written article on why some people are drawn to conspiracy theories (in general) but can apply to the current virus, i.e. wearing masks, vaccines, etc. Topical also with the Department of Health and Human Services spokesman taking 'leave of absence' conspiracy-laden lament.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/people-drawn-to-conspiracy-theories-share-a-cluster-of-psychological-features/
- "Anxiety - New research suggests that events happening worldwide are nurturing underlying emotions that make people more willing to believe in conspiracies. Experiments have revealed that feelings of anxiety make people think more conspiratorially. Such feelings, along with a sense of disenfranchisement, currently grip many Americans."
- "Feeling alienated or unwanted also seems to make conspiratorial thinking more attractive."
- "It is not just personal crises that encourage individuals to form conspiratorial suspicions. Collective social setbacks do so as well."

Conspiracy Theories (the unreasonable kind) absolutely are a huge problem, they represent a vast majority of stories and "stuff" on the interweb. Bunk/kooky divisive theories, propogated, bits of credible information sprinkled here or there. Like a needle in a s#it-stack, why bother trying to uncover rare (but still big) actual conspiracies in all that cr@p... which naturally Would be obscured as much as possible. Information about actual corruption or conspiracy can easily be Discredited by Association there, as well.

If someone was involved in some conspiracy, who would they rather have "blow the whistle" on their business do you think? ... "mainstream" media on the nightly news? (luckily tightly controlled, so that one can avoid that, you know our mate rupet? Lol) .... or alternatively, some flat earther on twit-tok or facetube?

#18620 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

All valid points.

I also believe as more and more false flags, etc come to light people across the globe grow less trusting of those appointed to "rule".

#18621 3 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Contributing to misinformation and then doubling down when called on it is hardly something to be proud of.

I didn’t say I was proud of it. I’m not going to delete it either. You cannot post numbers and expect people to understand. It’s mainly about treating people with respect. You throw science in faces of normal people... it will not go well. If you care so much why not send a PM to that person? Not me! I barely have anytime to spare to even type this. The witch hunt is real!
All this gives me a good idea though. I’ll see if the data expert I know will write something for me. I’m going to be late for work. Stay safe y’all!

#18622 3 years ago

So how about the Big 10 Athletic Conference flip-flopping and having a college football season after all?

Do you think the "Student-Athletes" were 1st priority and that money played no role in the decision?

#18623 3 years ago

Hahaha that Paul Rudd video is great!

#18624 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

I didn’t say I was proud of it. I’m not going to delete it either. You cannot post numbers and expect people to understand. It’s mainly about treating people with respect. You throw science in faces of normal people... it will not go well. If you care so much why not send a PM to that person? Not me! I barely have anytime to spare to even type this. The witch hunt is real!
All this gives me a good idea though. I’ll see if the data expert I know will write something for me. I’m going to be late for work. Stay safe y’all!

Science is, or at least was, a core curriculum throughout school where I’m from. I think throwing lies and BS propaganda in “normal” people’s faces is the real problem.

Some prefer to be willfully ignorant. They aren’t normal, but a few more years at this trajectory they may be the new normal.

#18625 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

Lmafo razorsedge with all your guys freedom in SA you would think you could do a better job with launching a rocket into space .
https://m.facebook.com/9NewsAdelaide/videos/2647587838889692/?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F9NewsAdelaide%2Fposts%2F2480820655555222&_rdr

PMSL! ... I Know right!! Lol

I laughed my arse off!! . Rocket quietly goes "Pffftt!!"

#18626 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

All valid points.
I also believe as more and more false flags, etc come to light people across the globe grow less trusting of those appointed to "rule".

Sheesh, so many false flags being brought to light lately. These false flaggers must really suck at false flagging.

With the money to be made exposing these false flags, it’s a wonder one would continue to falsify flags and not get in on the exposing.

#18627 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

... we had US citizens WORKING INSIDE THIS Wuhan laboratory monitoring things ....

.... What are you hinting at? You elude to knowing more than anyone but never enlighten us here on the real story. ... the stuff you say (confidently) is baseless and sometimes ignorant.

- Just "monitoring"? ... So, it can be Proved then? , that there was No Other Kinds of activity being undertaken, than this? . Evidence? . Tough to Prove with So Many open possibilities.

- "baseless"? ... that is a rather Extreme conclusion, unballanced, the Other way. Admittedly, evidence is very thin on the ground, about some subjects. Concrete evidence is also really tough to produce for anything, if alot of related evidence Has been eliminated. It's hard to briefly enlighten anyone, deductive reasoning can be long-winded... and "properly educated citizens" are quick to ridicule that which goes against their ingrained corporate teachings, when people try to share confronting but reasonable questions. So, is it really worth it? ....

Just because no evidence remains about something, does not automatically mean it did not happen. It is called a "possibility". The near impossible task, is to find legitimate evidence that whatever realistic conspiracy (theory) you are faced with, is completely False. Irrefutably Disprove it, also tough to do for some things (here, why "baseless" is extreme). "Flat earth" for example, easily disproved. Some others, not so much. I do agree, @who-dey, seem to be in realms of some things that are disproved there?. Questions ....

Maybe too many just settle to sit back and spectate, instead. Like I probably aught to.

People should All ask more questions. Questions are how we learn things. Science relies heavily on Questions. Just beware, to double re-check all answers or information.... refer, re-confirm, cross-checks, consider perspectives. Reason.

Surely nobody can deny the information swamp is a very murky clouded mess.

#18628 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

So how about the Big 10 Athletic Conference flip-flopping and having a college football season after all?
Do you think the "Student-Athletes" were 1st priority and that money played no role in the decision?

I think those who thought they were running the show got leaned on real hard.

#18629 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Sheesh, so many false flags being brought to light lately. These false flaggers must really suck at false flagging.
With the money to be made exposing these false flags, it’s a wonder one would continue to falsify flags and not get in on the exposing.

For anyone a bit unsure about the concept that is being referred to when some reasonable people, and also kooks, talk about "false flag" operations... it is definately a thing that happens sometimes.

https://www.history.co.uk/article/the-truth-about-false-flags-from-nazi-germany-to-the-vietnam-war

An exercise, presented openly to be something it is not. Fabrication reported as reality. Even physical or visual fabrications, created.

Believable. Most people accept the rare actual successful (but suppressed) false flag act as a reality, instead of as the fabrication that it is.

"Acting" is a fitting way to describe a "false flag operation". Overwhelming majority of "false flag" reports are clearly just bunkum, but not 100% of them of course. Saying they are All bunk, would be essentially extreme and unreasonable.

Plenty of gobldygook is pumped out through so many chanels, for the mindless and all to propogate, which is of course then discredited later. A swamp for a few bits of credible information to be concealed within, more easily overlooked, discredited. Helps more people looking for answers, to eventually question themselves, instead.

#18630 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Well if I was in a trench , I'd want Gunnut beside me.

Tentatively agree lol

Having said that .... whom want's to be in a trench?.

#18631 3 years ago

Debunked conspiracy theories are seeping into mainstream social media. Many of these have already been posted into this thread including ones that the pandemic was a was engineered in a Chinese lab as a bioweapon.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/09/17/qanon-conspiracy-theories-debunked-social-media/5791711002/

Quoted from razorsedge:

- Just "monitoring"? ... So, it can be Proved then? , that there was No Other Kinds of activity being undertaken, than this? . Evidence? . Tough to Prove with So Many open possibilities.

Yes, just monitoring and not tough to prove. So, I'm not sure if you're helping with this. "Scientists and others, including defense and intelligence experts, have said there’s no basis for believing the virus was intentionally released as a bio-weapon.

Agreed

#18632 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Of course there will be no you didn't, Yes I did finger pointing . But interesting...
https://nypost.com/2020/09/14/chinese-virologist-posts-report-claiming-covid-19-was-made-in-wuhan-lab/

from the NY Post itself, a rebuttal article.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/16/us-virologists-dispute-chinese-whistleblowers-covid-19-claim/

As it currently stands, her claims have as much scientific validity as those that continue to tout hydroxy as a cure-all.

#18633 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Tentatively agree lol
Having said that .... whom want's to be in a trench?.

Wanting to be and ordered to be are two completely different things.

#18634 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Science is, or at least was, a core curriculum throughout school where I’m from. I think throwing lies and BS propaganda in “normal” people’s faces is the real problem.
Some prefer to be willfully ignorant. They aren’t normal, but a few more years at this trajectory they may be the new normal.

Not picking sides here, but if you think science is unbiased, you’re incredible naive. Almost every study or research project has to be cleared for funding, be it private, govt grants, or another source. Lots of studies get squashed because people sitting on boards and committees are afraid the results may be problematic, either for political, social, or economic reasons. And then don’t forget how often “science” gets it wrong because of either experimenter bias or malfeasance, poor statistical design, or erroneous conclusions and hypothesizing. It’s good to question anything that becomes blindly accepted

That said, this is serious and, while I don’t think our entire society should come to a screeching halt, I wish people would just shut up and wear masks. It’s not that burdensome.

#18635 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

My son and his family also live in Ann Arbor and are not happy about football season bringing more sickness to the area.

#18636 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Yes, just monitoring and not tough to prove. So, I'm not sure if you're helping with this. "Scientists and others, including defense and intelligence experts, have said there’s no basis for believing the virus was intentionally released as a bio-weapon.

This is Not proof there is nothing corrupt happening some way, by anyone else. There seems to be evidence that other countries were on the scene. This is my point, there are vast actual possibilities that can not be disproven, so many not even contemplated, that is a reality there. Not so absolute as you describe it.

Many countries are undoubtedly involved in covert activities.

Covert, means not openly displayed or acknowledged.

That means not published or covered in "media", and what of evidence? . Of course.

Not for us to wonder why, ours is just to .....

#18637 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Wanting to be and ordered to be are two completely different things.

That is the worry. Citizens of All countries aught to rightly Ban war, among other dubiousness surrounding it. If all global citizens took responsibility and did that at home, there would be no wars, no "international military", nor any reasons for either.

Aren't theories great.

Every country has it's warmongers... and money.

#18638 3 years ago

It will be interesting to see what my friend/dad says. He has called me a “knot head” all my life. He won’t even debate with you if you are idiot. I’m kinda scared to see what he says. He only had one friend who stopped by all the time. I can remember when the friend of my dad said” Hey Wizard what do think about ancient aliens on history channel?” I was thinking umm...you are going to taken to pound town on this one. All remember before I closed the bedroom door. “Why the hell are you watching that nonsense!”
All I’m saying we should should run and hide. When ask him to write this paper. This is going to be his unbiased thoughts. I will give guide lines as far as pinside. I’m going to tell him how I posted some shitty ass data. Not good! Let’s see if he will write something up.
Give me the pinside pitch forks and torches any day. My dad is true hard ass on data and science! He also a realist. If he writes something up. I will take down my fake data and say I’m sorry about that.

#18639 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

from the NY Post itself, a rebuttal article.
https://nypost.com/2020/09/16/us-virologists-dispute-chinese-whistleblowers-covid-19-claim/
As it currently stands, her claims have as much scientific validity as those that continue to tout hydroxy as a cure-all.

And one more nail in the coffin:

https://mobile.twitter.com/itsbirdemic/status/1305712026929508353

chad Who-Dey etc... y’all been fooled again.

#18640 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

It will be interesting to see what my friend/dad says. He has called me a “knot head” all my life. He won’t even debate with you if you are idiot. I’m kinda scared to see what he says. He only had one friend who stopped by all the time. I can remember when the friend of my dad said” Hey Wizard what do think about ancient aliens on history channel?” I was thinking umm...you are going to taken to pound town on this one. All remember before I closed the bedroom door. “Why the hell are you watching that nonsense!”
All I’m saying we should should run and hide. When ask him to write this paper. This is going to be his unbiased thoughts. I will give guide lines as far as pinside. I’m going to tell him how I posted some shitty ass data. Not good! Let’s see if he will write something up.
Give me the pinside pitch forks and torches any day. My dad is true hard ass on data and science! He also a realist. If he writes something up. I will take down my fake data and say I’m sorry about that.

That's some good weed you are smokin' dude.

#18641 3 years ago

Don't want to wear a mask?

Military style punishment.

Grab a shovel and start digging.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/asia/indonesia-coronavirus-grave-diggers-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

"Indonesians caught without a mask forced to dig graves for Covid-19 victims"

#18642 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Admitting you made a mistake and were wrong is hard.

But respectable.

#18643 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Hmmm. Looks like we are doing the same as last year. In fact we might be doing a little bit better.
[quoted image]

Hey man that is a forecast chart for 2020, going by trend. This is the kind of data used for the "expected" baseline in the Excess Deaths charts.

Or in this it becomes the comparison, 0% is equal to expected/predicted.

excess-mortality-p-scores (resized).pngexcess-mortality-p-scores (resized).png

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Bear in mind this represents the Entire spectrum of events from covid. Like people not getting symptoms diagnosed due to lockdown or video-consults and then dying of a stroke where they may have been treated in 2019. Also includes the lesser mortality for lockdown and social distancing countries where less annual flu meant less mortality. All effects of death rolled together, compared with predicted trend.

This graph is showing some positive signs there.

#18644 3 years ago

So, how exactly would you use a tele-prompter to answer questions during a live Q&A??

#18645 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

That's some good weed you are smokin' dude.

Oh no you don’t. Don’t blame weed for gunnut’s views. I’ve been smoking weed daily for over 20 years, and I’ve never found anything that potent.

I don’t know what makes you think that way, but it’s not weed. Potheads are way more laid back and easy going.

#18646 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200918-102143~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200918-102143~2 (resized).png
#18647 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

And one more nail in the coffin:
https://mobile.twitter.com/itsbirdemic/status/1305712026929508353
chad who-dey etc... y’all been fooled again.

I was going to post this yesterday but refrained because the article is dated May 12, 2020. But it appears, four months laster, this this article is still relevant.

From the University of Minnesota.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/05/scientists-exactly-zero-evidence-covid-19-came-lab

" Since the COVID-19 pandemic began, the Internet has been teeming with provocative conspiracy theories..."

" Politicians have touted these theories in an attempt to blame China for the pandemic,..."

" Even Kristian Andersen, PhD, a professor in the Department of Immunology and Microbiology..first thought that COVID-19 was just as likely to have been accidentally released from a lab as it was to have come from nature."

"But that was before he learned more about COVID-19 and related coronaviruses, which have features already seen in nature...."

#18648 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Awwww that’s the best y’all can do? Bring on the heat. I’ll make some s’mores with it.

Quoted from PinballNewb:

Admitting you made a mistake and were wrong is hard.

Fletch (resized).jpgFletch (resized).jpg

#18649 3 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Not picking sides here, but if you think science is unbiased, you’re incredible naive. Almost every study or research project has to be cleared for funding, be it private, govt grants, or another source. Lots of studies get squashed because people sitting on boards and committees are afraid the results may be problematic, either for political, social, or economic reasons. And then don’t forget how often “science” gets it wrong because of either experimenter bias or malfeasance, poor statistical design, or erroneous conclusions and hypothesizing. It’s good to question anything that becomes blindly accepted
That said, this is serious and, while I don’t think our entire society should come to a screeching halt, I wish people would just shut up and wear masks. It’s not that burdensome.

Real science and blind acceptance go together like Cheerios and ketchup.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 373 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/373?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.