272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 366 of 576.
#18250 3 years ago

Iowa is having an increase of cases. With the Labor Day holiday, and being a big football state they might be the next hot spot. Currently they have no mask mandate in place but that may change.

#18251 3 years ago

New Position:

...new coronavirus adviser has questioned masks and alarmed government scientists.
Dr. Scott W. Atlas has argued that the science of mask wearing is uncertain, that children cannot pass on the coronavirus and that the role of the government is not to stamp out the virus but to protect its most vulnerable citizens as Covid-19 takes its course.

Ideas like these, both ideologically freighted and scientifically disputed, have propelled Dr. Atlas, a radiologist and senior fellow at Stanford University’s conservative Hoover Institution

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/world/covid-19-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage#link-727dab77

#18252 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Will you accept “malarkey”? Us Americans are going to be hearing a lot of that word the next two months, anyway.

Malarky =

balderdash; drivel; foolishness; hogwash; nonsense.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/malarkey

There are quite a few synonyms for "malarky" . But "Bull Hockey" did not make the list

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 9.20.14 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-02 at 9.20.14 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 9.20.27 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-02 at 9.20.27 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 9.20.41 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-02 at 9.20.41 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 9.20.51 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-02 at 9.20.51 AM (resized).png

#18253 3 years ago

I just read something that kinda made me sad. With the full implementation of virtual schooling now available at a moment's notice...

Snow days are now a thing of the past.

Coronavirus killed snow days. This is a real tragedy, for sure.

#18254 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

There’s no doubt one vaccine will be announced it’s ready prior to 11/3/2020. The FDA is under a lot of pressure from the White House. However, nothing will be available for wide distribution until at least 2/3 quarter of 2021 possibly later. By then more information will be available on which one is more effective and if there’s side effects. I’ll get one along with my flu vaccine.

The administration is pushing the CDC, which is leaning on the states for have a vaccine distribution system set up by November 1. Just it time for the nation's festivities.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/coronavirus/article245406245.html

"Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, sent a letter last week to the nation’s governors with an urgent request. The Trump administration wanted them to do everything in their power to eliminate hurdles for vaccine distribution sites to be fully operational by Nov.

“CDC urgently requests your assistance in expediting applications for these distribution facilities,” he continued, “and, if necessary, asks that you consider waiving requirements that would prevent these facilities from becoming fully operational by November 1, 2020.”

I like the "consider waiving requirements" part.

#18255 3 years ago

Re: USA universities reopening for in person classes

TL:DR mitigation plans were insufficient / was a bad idea

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3365

#18256 3 years ago

I've noticed my area has pretty much had enough at this point. My co-workers are going to businesses without masks even though there's a mask mandate in both the state of Kansas and the Kansas City counties. When workers or customers approach them about it, they just say no thanks I'm fine.

Less than half of the customers in Walmart had masks, even though Walmart "requires" them.

I've joined a couple bowling leagues in a county that doesn't require masks. 100+ people in there with no masks or social distancing. They announced one member of one of those leagues tested positive already. It's just business as usual.

Some of my old friends / former classmates posted on FB this week that they tested positive. Weird symptoms like swelling and numbness in their face.

#18257 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Re: USA universities reopening for in person classes
TL:DR mitigation plans were insufficient / was a bad idea
https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3365

And the big 10 is getting hammered for not playing football...unreal

#18258 3 years ago

Fun with numbers calculator for pediatric risk of asymptomatic covid infection.

https://dkchanlab.shinyapps.io/peds_asx_covid/

#18259 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I've joined a couple bowling leagues in a county that doesn't require masks. 100+ people in there with no masks or social distancing. They announced one member of one of those leagues tested positive already. It's just business as usual.

Stay safe out there. I couldn't imagine hanging out indoors for a couple of hours with a hundred unmasked people. So long as none of them have covid you're good, but from those stories of weddings/conferences that turn into super-spreader events, being in an enclosed space with even a handful of unmasked infected people for a considerable period of time is no bueno.

On the plus side, at least with bowling no one's breathing hard, am I right?

#18260 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I've noticed my area has pretty much had enough at this point. My co-workers are going to businesses without masks even though there's a mask mandate in both the state of Kansas and the Kansas City counties. When workers or customers approach them about it, they just say no thanks I'm fine.
Less than half of the customers in Walmart had masks, even though Walmart "requires" them.
Some of my old friends / former classmates posted on FB this week that they tested positive. Weird symptoms like swelling and numbness in their face.

My city, against the wishes of the county commissioners and city leaders has put a mask mandate on.

I was at Walmart yesterday and everybody had a mask on; well, at least everybody but one younger couple who thought the rules we’re meant for everybody else and not them.

#18261 3 years ago

On a personal note, my wife had to fire another couple patients yesterday who refused to wear masks and got abusive when told they had to per company policy.

On the upside, people with copd have a hard time maintaining an angry diatribe. Downside...lots of spittle still.

A few months back it was “doctors are our heroes”. Today it is “ screw you and your face diaper mandates”

#18262 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

That's nuts given what's going on. I don't envy you and your situation so careful out there in MO. Nothing has really leveled off yet and its just a bad or worse than it has been. MO had 9,135 new cases in the past 7 days. The US overall had at least 1,091 new coronavirus deaths and 44,027 new cases were reported **JUST** yesterday.

I think some people are getting numb to the numbers the longer it goes on. People get an increasing false sense of security when nothing happens to them. Its almost the anniversary but just think every 3 days or so we have as many people die that died during 9/11. That's a ton of families affected by having to bury one of their loved ones.

#18263 3 years ago

Just like there are lots of options between shutting down/opening up - there are a lot of options post Covid beyond live/die.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/covid-19-can-wreck-your-heart-even-if-you-havent-had-any-symptoms/

This propaganda and disinformation campaign is reprehensible and is having real consequences. Nothing I would have ever expected in our country.

#18264 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Serious question. If they came out with a vaccine today would you take it? I for one would not take this rushed vaccine.

Quoted from Oaken:

Depends on who approved it. Our FDA? Fuck no.

To further clarify, the only way to get a vaccine “today” is if manufacturers are granted emergency use and get to skip completing Phase 3 testing.

Here is a review by the fda from a few years ago as to why that is a bad idea.

https://www.fda.gov/media/102332/download

#18265 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I've noticed my area has pretty much had enough at this point.

Yeah, people with cancer probably get sick of having to do chemo too.

Sometimes you have to put your big boy pants on.

#18266 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Iowa is having an increase of cases. With the Labor Day holiday, and being a big football state they might be the next hot spot. Currently they have no mask mandate in place but that may change.

Here in MN they are talking about the fallout of Sturgis. I wonder if states will post higher numbers rolling eastward and westward of SD in the coming weeks.

#18267 3 years ago

Canada’s top DR. says if your dating during the pandemic maybe wear a mask during sex. You can never be to safe.

https://apple.news/AY5sRW4RcR0SgP8Mv8VSg

#18268 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Just like there are lots of options between shutting down/opening up - there are a lot of options post Covid beyond live/die.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/covid-19-can-wreck-your-heart-even-if-you-havent-had-any-symptoms/
This propaganda and disinformation campaign is reprehensible and is having real consequences. Nothing I would have ever expected in our country.

Wow !

#18269 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Here in MN they are talking about the fallout of Sturgis. I wonder if states will post higher numbers rolling eastward and westward of SD in the coming weeks.

Sturgis. One dead. over 250 cases reported nationwide.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-covid-19-death-minnesota/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revved by Sturgis Rally, COVID-19 infections move fast, far

https://apnews.com/3ea1a021f82fee05736f22138df90ddf

#18270 3 years ago
9E2DD2F2-1511-437B-81DC-1340A8B72C9C (resized).jpeg9E2DD2F2-1511-437B-81DC-1340A8B72C9C (resized).jpeg
#18271 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

New Position:

...new coronavirus adviser has questioned masks and alarmed government scientists.
Dr. Scott W. Atlas has argued that the science of mask wearing is uncertain, that children cannot pass on the coronavirus and that the role of the government is not to stamp out the virus but to protect its most vulnerable citizens as Covid-19 takes its course.

Ideas like these, both ideologically freighted and scientifically disputed, have propelled Dr. Atlas, a radiologist and senior fellow at Stanford University’s conservative Hoover Institution

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/world/covid-19-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage#link-727dab77

From the same link:

Dr. Atlas is neither an epidemiologist nor an infectious disease expert, but his frequent appearances on Fox News and his ideological surety caught the president’s eye.

“I think Trump clearly does not like the advice he was receiving from the people who are the experts — Fauci, Birx, etc. — so he has slowly shifted from their advice to somebody who tells him what he wants to hear,” said Dr. Carlos del Rio, an infectious disease expert at Emory University in Atlanta.

#18273 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I was at Walmart yesterday and everybody had a mask on; well, at least everybody but one younger couple who thought the rules we’re meant for everybody else and not them.

Since Walmart added their mandate, I only saw one person without a mask....until last week. It was like somebody flipped a switch. Well under half had masks. I felt like the rebel sticking to the rules.

#18274 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Stay safe out there. I couldn't imagine hanging out indoors for a couple of hours with a hundred unmasked people. So long as none of them have covid you're good, but from those stories of weddings/conferences that turn into super-spreader events, being in an enclosed space with even a handful of unmasked infected people for a considerable period of time is no bueno.
On the plus side, at least with bowling no one's breathing hard, am I right?

This is my one careless activity. I bought masks and hand sanitizer back in February before the US had any cases. I didn't leave my house other than to pick up groceries from mid-March through mid-May. I was absolutely on board for a mandated lockdown or national mask requirement, but with so few people caring now this thing is going to drag on for years.

The one league I bowled in late July and early August was delayed due to Covid and ended up just being a 5 week league. A few days before the final night, they announced somebody in the league had Covid and they canceled the final night. I'm not sure what the point of that was, because a week later all the fall leagues have started. Full house every night of the week. The employees are now wearing masks where they didn't before the bowler in our league tested positive. Other than that, I don't see a difference.

No breathing hard on my part, but the league I joined isn't very competitive. I might be the only person there that's under 50. The lady they put on my team is in her 70s.

#18275 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Yeah, people with cancer probably get sick of having to do chemo too.

I don't think the chance of catching something that has a 1% chance of killing you is a fair comparison to somebody already battling cancer.

Depending on the type of cancer and survival rate, I wouldn't always choose chemo. If I learned I had stage 4 pancreatic cancer, I'd just try to enjoy my final days and get my affairs in order.

#18276 3 years ago

Anyone else rip their mask off in the car like they just finished a disappointing surgery on Grey's Anatomy?

#18277 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

No breathing hard on my part, but the league I joined isn't very competitive. I might be the only person there that's under 50. The lady they put on my team is in her 70s.

Yep, I recently joined the local Elks club, but haven’t been attending since March as I don’t want to feel responsible for taking out any of our 70 and 80 year old members if I accidentally bring Covid in.

Quoted from loneacer:

I don't think the chance of catching something that has a 1% chance of killing you is a fair comparison to somebody already battling cancer.

Depends on your demographic. If you’re over 60 it’s way worse than 1% deathrate. In my 40s and I’d definitely take Covid over cancer, but could be a different calculation for the elderly.

#18278 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Canada’s top DR. says if your dating during the pandemic maybe wear a mask during sex. You can never be to safe.
https://apple.news/AY5sRW4RcR0SgP8Mv8VSg

This will do!

imagev1a01b51beaa12595b0ba34f9cf316606f-g1mo510riryl0yciip2_t1880 (resized).jpgimagev1a01b51beaa12595b0ba34f9cf316606f-g1mo510riryl0yciip2_t1880 (resized).jpg
#18279 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

This will do! [quoted image]

Here baby, put this mask on. It will help you to look prettier

#18280 3 years ago

Ugly people are having a great 2020.

#18281 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Anyone else rip their mask off in the car like they just finished a disappointing surgery on Grey's Anatomy?

I don’t even wait until I get to the car. One step outside the building and it’s off like a prom dress.

#18282 3 years ago
f6e60ef (resized).jpgf6e60ef (resized).jpg
#18283 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Ugly people are having a great 2020.

It’s also nice not having to fake smile, ever.

#18284 3 years ago

Unfortunately, we ugly MF's still have to go to work and by groceries...

#18285 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s also nice not having to fake smile, ever.

You're in NYC, baby, I thought you guys were excused from the fake smile routine?!?

NY LA (resized).jpgNY LA (resized).jpg
#18286 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I don’t even wait until I get to the car. One step outside the building and it’s off like a prom dress.

What color is your prom dress ?

#18287 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Depending on the type of cancer and survival rate, I wouldn't always choose chemo. If I learned I had stage 4 pancreatic cancer, I'd just try to enjoy my final days and get my affairs in order.

I’m not sure what your post has to do with the context of what I said. I was referencing that there are a lot of times where people have to continue to do things that they don’t want to continue to do. They keep doing them because they have to and it’s the adult thing to do.

It is interesting to juxtapose people who get chemotherapy for months or even years that makes them physically ill every single time and yet somehow they find the resolve to keep doing it vs people who just can’t handle wearing a paper mask while in public places for a few months. It’s pathetic really.

It’s easy to kick and scream in the sandbox. It’s a little harder to face reality and do what’s right.

P.S. It’s actually probably <1% overall but much higher than that for certain populations. Also don’t forget about the 20% of patients that require hospitalization or the 5% of patients that end up in the ICU. Oh, and don’t forget about the people who “recover” but are still unable to work months later due to persistent shortness of breath. Also don’t forget about the possible long terms effects on the lungs and heart which we have yet to see. Just throwing out a 1% number doesn’t tell the story.

#18288 3 years ago

Here’s a fresh supply of covid memes, to lighten your day

236DCE78-36AC-48B3-9CAD-397FFBD4AC05 (resized).jpeg236DCE78-36AC-48B3-9CAD-397FFBD4AC05 (resized).jpeg2C0E0F0F-ADC6-49C3-8B89-F88C287C1DF2 (resized).jpeg2C0E0F0F-ADC6-49C3-8B89-F88C287C1DF2 (resized).jpeg42D24BAB-A28F-4E90-AE66-F16BD34D0598 (resized).jpeg42D24BAB-A28F-4E90-AE66-F16BD34D0598 (resized).jpeg7F9F2F64-409B-4F25-888E-263EDC87293F (resized).jpeg7F9F2F64-409B-4F25-888E-263EDC87293F (resized).jpegAB616516-8508-4A7F-A641-2B8F35390E9C (resized).jpegAB616516-8508-4A7F-A641-2B8F35390E9C (resized).jpeg
#18291 3 years ago

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63

Interesting sciency article. Theory of how Covid works...

“In this sense, Covid-19 is like a burglar who slips in your unlocked second-floor window and starts to ransack your house. Once inside, though, they don’t just take your stuff — they also throw open all your doors and windows so their accomplices can rush in and help pillage more efficiently.”

#18292 3 years ago

Varying levels of myocarditis isn’t unheard of with various viral illnesses. Usually it isn’t a permanent issue but this is a new virus so the jury is still out.

#18293 3 years ago

More doom and gloom for ya: it can cause enough blood clots to clog dialysis machines.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32367170/

#18294 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What color is your prom dress ?

Hers was black my junior year. Senior year I had two dates so one white and other silver.

#18295 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Why do you need a vaccine if Hydroxychloroquine is the cure?

It has been banned in Australia i think

#18296 3 years ago

Just do not do it after Curfew you get arrested in Melbourne for that.

#18297 3 years ago

I follow two doctors (both named Mike) on Youtube that put out pretty good COVID-19 videos:

The other Doc is "Doctor Mike Hansen" and he also has a number of good videos:

https://www.youtube.com/c/DoctorMikeHansen/videos

#18299 3 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Just do not do it after Curfew you get arrested in Melbourne for that.

Ha, you get arrested just for opposing lockdown!

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 366 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/366?hl=noob-a-tron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.