272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 353 of 576.
#17600 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

False. Two recent studies have found young (under 5) to be at least just as transmissible as adults.

The evolving situation in my area reflects this. Daycares have recently re-opened in our City, and are already becoming an issue:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/covid-19-outbreak-declared-at-fourth-ottawa-child-care-centre-1.5045620

Sadly, our city (Ottawa), which has been doing very well until now, is seeing considerable upticks in cases overall, and we have gone from one of the lesser affected large(ish) (approx 1M population) communities in the Province of Ontario, to the current hotspot, in a matter of a week or two.

I'm still not sure why we are opening bars and indoor dining (my Arcade and adjoining restaurant/bar remain closed by choice despite the fact we are allowed to open, unless, or likely until, we get sent back to Phase 2...), when we don't even know how we're going to get the kids back to school safely (for all of us).

It has been two weeks since indoor dining and bars were re-opened in Stage 3, so our local and Provincial numbers don't even reflect the wider opening of the economy, though it no doubt will begin to have an impact on this weeks figures.

#17601 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmeds:

Perhaps the takeaway here is that if taken early, a combination of Tang, Cool Whip, and Pop Rocks is actually a cure for Covid-19

That is actually a photo of Oswald Theodore Avery, a molecular biologist... which has a couple layers of humor based on the meme’s verbiage.

#17602 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

"Arkansas governor says there is no correlation between Covid-19 spike and lifting of restrictions"

There *is* a correlation between believing this and living in Arkansas.

#17603 3 years ago

1.3 million people marched in Germany to be free from oppressive covid restrictions. Looks like the MSM isn't really covering this story, as expected, since it doesn't follow the approved narrative.
They all will probably be written off as neo-nazis.

#17604 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

1.3 million people marched in Germany to be free from oppressive covid restrictions. Looks like the MSM isn't really covering this story, as expected, since it doesn't follow the approved narrative.

Or 17,000....whichever. Every media outlet in Europe and Germany is saying this was less than 20,000 people claiming to be 1.3 million. And you are here lamenting that someone isn't reporting your made up number? Who is pushing disinformation on whom here?

They also hurt cops. But don’t you acknowledge that fact. That won’t work for you, either.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-45-officers-injured-at-berlin-rally-against-coronavirus-curbs/a-54402885

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8583397/Thousands-protesters-join-march-against-coronavirus-measures-Germany.html

So a country of 83 million people (with a fraction of our cases), who shut down from the start and stayed on top of the virus, now has "thousands" of protesters taking to the streets and getting trashed by local news agencies? And? What does this prove, other than your propensity to over exaggerate that which you think bodes well for your unpopular opinion? The organizers touted 1.3 million, much like someone we know in this country likes to claim big numbers that are objectively proven to be ridiculously overstated.

#17605 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Have a source for the 1.3 million figure?

#17606 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

It was covered.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/01/world/berlin-germany-covid-19-protest-intl/index.html

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

#17607 3 years ago

Passionate Facebook post from a teacher in Iowa.

https://m.facebook.com/barbara.baudino/posts/10221732561921368

For those that don’t want to click on a Facebook link, I have copied it below.

——————————

I didn’t want to do this but some of y’all need to hear it.

Stop invalidating teachers feelings about their safety. Stop using child abuse, food insecurity, and mental health to do it. That is some serious misdirection.

I work for the largest district in Iowa. A majority-minority district. I have a degree in social work, a Masters in counseling, and work in an elementary school. Let me tell you about what I do when I’m at work:

I sit and listen to kids tell me about this abuse you’re talking about. Physical abuse. Sexual abuse. Mental abuse. I have heard it all, and way more times than you want to know. Some kids are telling me for the first time. The first time they’ve told anyone. Other times are “Mrs. Hogan it’s happening again.” I make multiple mandatory reports a month to a DHS that is underfunded and whose social workers have overwhelming caseloads. Before we left in March I was doing suicide assessments nearly weekly. I have taken food and clothes from my house to bring it to students. I have to be the one that calls a Mom to tell her that her child has slits all over her wrists.

And I still won’t let you use this as a reason to force teachers and students back when it’s unsafe. THIS IS NOT ON TEACHERS.

The same politicians (hey, Reynolds) that want to hurriedly reopen schools under dangerous conditions are the same ones who always want to cut down and mismanage social services, mental health services, and their funding. They’re the same politicians who have FAILED the kids in my office. Do you want us to be a community school? Cause we are already trying and it sure would be a lot easier if we had the funding to do it.

Where’s all this talk when it’s not a pandemic? You guys know what often happens to these kids and families then? I sit with a mom after school and call every single homeless shelter in the area to find something for her and there is nothing. I listen to a mom cry after the mental health unit tells her there’s no bed for her child in crisis. And when she asks them and me what to do now, there’s no answer for her. Iowa is one of the worst states for mental health services in the country.

Do not come at teachers and schools. Their job is to educate. Mine is to help these kids and families and I’ll do home visits if I can, I will do my best to connect them with the resources they need and I know my colleagues will too.

The real problem is there are not adequate resources, even if we are in school. Not even close. COME AT YOUR GOVERNMENT FOR THAT. And do it when the pandemic is over too.

#17608 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I’m seeing 17,000 here. Got a link for that 1.3 million crowd count?

https://nypost.com/2020/08/01/thousands-of-maskless-germans-protest-covid-19-rules-in-berlin/

As for Neo-Nazis, I hope not but they’re definitely on the rise again in Germany. Creepy stuff.

#17609 3 years ago

Hadn’t seen this...if that is the case the whole going back to school house of cards is going to come crashing down as soon as it opens

#17611 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

CNN covered it, how much coverage do you expect? 17,000 people in Berlin. Perhaps the news source providing your coverage over covered it? Maybe one of our German pinsiders will chime in. Here is an excerpt and the link:

"The march, which was named by organizers as "Day of Freedom -- The End of the Pandemic," included anti-vaccine groups and some far-right and neo-Nazi organizations. On livestreams of the event, some protesters could be heard yelling, "We are the second wave.""

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/01/world/berlin-germany-covid-19-protest-intl/index.html

#17612 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

We are testing more than any other country, thats why cases keep going up. Deaths on the other hand are on the decline........thats a good thing for all you gloomer doomers.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Say what? Would you like to make a wager on that? Say 4-6 weeks out? Will we be at zero? Or will we be climbing back up?
Let's say we come in at 500 deaths per week. 500 * 30 = 15,000.
We are at 132,000 deaths today ( 7-3-2020 ). Add 15K. 132,000 = 15000 = 147,000 in 30 days.
And you are OK with these numbers?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Quoted from poppapin:

Say what! You're daily new death chart shows deaths are declining. Looked like deaths peaked around April 20th

Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm not ok with anyone dying but unfortunately people are going to die until this goes away. Your charts clearly show that deaths ate declining and that is a good thing any way you look at it. I do my part and wear a mask when i go out in public and that's all that I can do. I cant tell anyone else what to do.
The only real threat to me would be my co workers. I cant and I wont wear a mask for 8 hours a day so theres a risk at my job but i have to work to pay my bills so i cant avoid that.

We are now at 4 weeks out. I thought I would revisit this a little bit. I was light on my death number estimate of 147,000. We are at 158,365 as of today.

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 9.01.05 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-08-02 at 9.01.05 PM (resized).png

#17613 3 years ago

I love when people hear about something In the media and then say “why isn’t the media covering this?!”

Err...

#17614 3 years ago

There are fools everywhere in the world and 20000 of them came this weekend to Berlin. There are way more people in germany that still think the corona restrictions are still needed. The 20000 in berlin were a wild mix of people and not a homogeneous group. It was not more as this and way less than some are making out of it, but it still is a dangerous sign. Yes there are neo nazis who are trying to capture people for their view of the world. But the protesters against corona restrictions are way too varied to get united in something else as corona.
What we now see is that there are many people that are frustrated and went on vacations or are going to partys more and more. The people want to see an end of this epidemic and I think if we don't see a solution soon we will have a big problem not later than next year.
When I am hearing that we have to live with all these restrictions and that this life will be some "new kind of normality", I don't think this will work. Social distancing in my opinion is against human nature. It can work for sometime and I hope it will work as long it will be needed. But I will not accept it as the new normality and I don't think that most people will accept this
The people need the carrot of an end for this to keep following the rules or the discipline we had so long will break down.

And when I speak for myself, I am working 10-12 hours 6 days a week with a mask on, I try everything I can so no one could get infected through me. I don't see me doing this this way for the rest of my life. So I can understand protesters and in a democracy it should be allowed to protest. But it should be allowed too, that I am getting very angry about all the stupidity and selfishness of many protesters, cause if the infection rate will rise again,the work of the people that tried to prevent a bad ending could be for nothing. I would love to go to a concert or a sports event again too, but if I have to waive all this for a year, I can live with it for now. And for everybody else it should be possible to waive it too.
There is one thing that gives me hope. In this epidemic you can finaly see the strength of a federal system like we have in germany. If they will have to close the pubs and other things in citys like Hamburg, Berlin or an other hotspot again it doesn't have to be for the whole country, and not for long to flatten the curve again. In my area of germany, with a lot of testing, we had only one case of corona in the last weeks and that was a girl that came back from a visit to the usa. So I think it is safe to almost live normal here in my village. All of this will come to an end. And the goal has to be to make the best of the situation and to come out of it as good as possible.

#17615 3 years ago

Large school district in Georgia already has 260 staff members infected or in quarantine...before students step foot in the buildings.

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-news/covid-cases-exposure-have-260-gwinnett-school-employees-not-working/RVZP4UFBPFHDNJJ73MNUFIKEPY/

#17616 3 years ago

Well said, Asael. I remember when most of my family, friends, and neighbors would’ve echoed the exact same sentiment. But we are currently in the middle of an information war and many of those same people I knew have now been indoctrinated against their own common sense and welfare for the nation as a whole.

It is a sad, baffling, dangerous time. We lack unified leadership at the national level... and the results have been a complete and total disaster.

#17617 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love when people hear about something In the media and then say “why isn’t the media covering this?!”
Err...

Well we can surmise he didn’t read about it in the “Mainstream Media” since his source had 1.3 million in attendance. Maybe Sean Spicer is jumping back into the crowd size estimation game?

#17618 3 years ago

Seen this and had to laugh

If you didn't laugh you'd have to cry... we can't help but have a laugh and some banter around here, even when the Chops are down ... (NSFW)

....aaaand then the state based banter comes along, cos we love it Lol

Sorry screaminr

In all seriousness, Stay Safe there... we're all relying on some "karens" pulling their head in.

#17620 3 years ago

My favorite part about this is I was watching this with my wife and she goes “hey! That guy was my patient! “. Was her patient until he got a restraining order against him for bringing a gun into the clinic a week or so ago.

https://www.kare11.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/group-rallies-against-minnesotas-mask-mandate-on-steps-of-capitol/89-594282e5-fd4f-4d72-9b9c-9ede9ddc9789

#17621 3 years ago

Aside from the Pinto, when else in recent history non-wartime, was human life an "acceptable loss"? I mean is that not what all the politicians are really saying by forcing school openings etc? They are willing to have "acceptable losses" during this time?
I hope we show them all during the next elections, local and national!!

#17622 3 years ago

Well said Nico

#17625 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200803-140208~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200803-140208~2 (resized).png
#17626 3 years ago

When explaining things to my children, I keep referring to the now as “in the land of covid” and in my head I hear Conan “in the year 2000”

#17627 3 years ago

Eh. Humans do overall. 29% of Americans don't. I avoid that 29% like the plague.

#17628 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Aside from the Pinto, when else in recent history non-wartime, was human life an "acceptable loss"? I mean is that not what all the politicians are really saying by forcing school openings etc? They are willing have "acceptable losses" during this time?
I hope we show them all during the next elections, local and national!!

The economy tanking will also result in a loss of life as people lose their livelihoods. Its easy to get stuck focusing too much on the economy or too much on shutting everything down. That is why a response needs to be comprehensive and coordinated to balance these things as much as possible.

Some places have done this better than others.

#17629 3 years ago

"A preliminary evaluation shows that there has been a failure in several of our internal procedures," Hurtigruten CEO Daniel Skjeldam said in a statement. He added the company that sails along Norway's picturesque coast between Bergen in the south and Kirkenes in the north is "now in the process of a full review of all procedures, and all aspects of our own handling."

Thew above is corporate speak for "We got careless. We fucked up. And now heads are going to roll. "

#17630 3 years ago
85B56EF5-2856-44B9-8C62-4D8DBC2F4248 (resized).jpeg85B56EF5-2856-44B9-8C62-4D8DBC2F4248 (resized).jpeg8EA768C6-2F9E-4D8A-822C-F13B8A5CCD74 (resized).jpeg8EA768C6-2F9E-4D8A-822C-F13B8A5CCD74 (resized).jpeg054CC8D1-CCC4-4C1A-92D9-375851725F72 (resized).jpeg054CC8D1-CCC4-4C1A-92D9-375851725F72 (resized).jpeg
#17633 3 years ago
Virus stats August 3 2020 (resized).jpgVirus stats August 3 2020 (resized).jpg
#17634 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200804-003535~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200804-003535~2 (resized).png
#17635 3 years ago

3000 doorknocks by ADF/Police/Health of infected people under Stay At Home Isolation Orders in Victoria, returned result of 800 not at home.

WTF do people not understand obout the words "Stay At Home Isolation Orders"?? Seriously!?

Maybe they'll fu@#ing understand better now that the Premier has ensured the Personal Fine for non compliance has been Jacked to $5000 on the spot, although I doubt it will stop many. Time for tracking braclets, like they use for crims on home-D.

#17636 3 years ago

On a more positive note - the first cat to contract coronavirus has fully recovered.

He's feline fine.

#17638 3 years ago

Coronavirus is Fu***d!

#17639 3 years ago

In these uncertain times, focus on the things that keep you going.

2B44D04D-9E5A-4122-A8B1-FC3633F9D41F (resized).jpeg2B44D04D-9E5A-4122-A8B1-FC3633F9D41F (resized).jpeg

Story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-devon-53607951

#17640 3 years ago
YyD0SNJ (resized).jpgYyD0SNJ (resized).jpg
#17641 3 years ago

Interesting opinion piece on Covid survival rates at small vs. large hospitals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/opinion/covid-rural-hospitals.html

In a large study that was recently published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine, a team of researchers examined hospital mortality rates in more than 2,200 critically ill coronavirus patients in 65 hospitals throughout the country. Their findings? Patients admitted to hospitals with fewer than 50 I.C.U. beds — smaller hospitals — were more than three times more likely to die than patients admitted to larger hospitals.

#17642 3 years ago

Made this for another thread, but I thought this one could use a little pinball content.
P3 covid.pngP3 covid.png

#17643 3 years ago
71B0228A73C9447B84735411A5320456 (resized).jpg71B0228A73C9447B84735411A5320456 (resized).jpg
#17644 3 years ago
486656DB3AFA4CA3B9240EB768660535 (resized).jpeg486656DB3AFA4CA3B9240EB768660535 (resized).jpeg
#17646 3 years ago

Seems we have this all well in hand and it’s totally under control.

#17647 3 years ago

Here’s the first day of school photo that this group of students in Georgia decided to take.

What could go wrong???

428543BA-F916-40FC-8E43-C7256F4F16CE (resized).jpeg428543BA-F916-40FC-8E43-C7256F4F16CE (resized).jpeg
There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 353 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/353?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.