272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 352 of 576.
#17550 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

The daily shaming and bitching about anti-mask wearers is old hat. Gotta get with shaming and belittling the anti-goggles crowd now, wouldn't want to disrespect the Fauci.
[quoted image]

Goggles now, oh my .

#17553 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200731-103013~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200731-103013~2 (resized).png
#17554 3 years ago

My memory isn't as bad as I thought . This was posted recently 6 Pages back . I don't remember a lot of posts but I do remember pictures . I don't think this counts as a photographic memory but I'll go with it
PS - Daditude you put up some really great photos , my favourite one is the dog doing a poo in the sunset

IMG_20200801_024537 (resized).jpgIMG_20200801_024537 (resized).jpg
#17555 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I have a friend in the hospital with Covid right now. My age - mid 50's, was being careful, masks, distancing, etc - but, was watching his grandkids over the summer. Believes he caught it from them, they were asymptomatic.

So what happens when you send the kids off to school? Are mom and dad going to be at risk every evening when Johnny and Susie get home from school?

#17556 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All of this dumb math reminds of what a senator had to tell Gen. Westmorland when he bragged that "we are killing 10 vietnamese to one US marine."
"General, the American people don't care about the 10. They only care about the 1."
I've brought Vietnam up many times in this thread over the months and it's not to be flippant; I genuinely and repeatedly see so many parallels between our disastrous involvement in Vietnam and our disastrous response to COIVD. It all stems from a similar arrogance but there are tons of other similarities, and new ones every day. We are fighting the wrong kind of war with the wrong tactics and it is unwinnable with our current strategy.

I think the word you are looking for is "Hubris".

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 12.16.07 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-31 at 12.16.07 PM (resized).png

#17557 3 years ago

Im Pissed. Florida is doing shit, except 4 straight days of record deaths.
We had 2 local hospitals in Central Florida run out of ICU beds.
My Niece, working in one, shares its like a war zone.....struggling every day.
She shares if the Public saw what she sees in one day, the country would be mortified.
Our Governor, caught in Politics is not doing much.
Locally, the news is still in the Disney Bubble......Dont say to much, or tourists wont come...WTF?
I turn on the News, and all I see is our govt ignoring, or blaming others.
Family and friends in teaching now have a rough idea of whats next, but no idea on PPE, or handling kids that
dont follow these barely there guidelines.
Behind the scenes, I am hearing from near the top, they expect the schools to stay open no more than 4-8 weeks.

We have the NBA in Orlando, but since they support a "Terrorist group" I saw cars today driving around with "Boycott the NBA",
chalked in on back car windows.....and here I thought cancel culture was a blame for politics on the left.
Marlins are looking gone for the season,but my baseball Family is angry at their support.
Whats left? Sports are now Bad, Hollywood, Movies, and TV are Bad, half the country is bad.....Where are we?
Who are we?

Sorry to rant, its just bizarre to me as we all look at this from the bubble of our home, and friends.

#17558 3 years ago

This is so frustrating to me. I don’t know what’s worse 1)that people didn’t see this coming or 2) they just didn’t care.

Excerpt from today’s covid briefing in MN:

“... they have discovered that a person who attended the North Star Stampede rodeo in Itasca County last weekend has tested positive for COVID-19. The rodeo drew several thousand people, according to MDH.
"The person was infectious while at the event," Malcolm said Friday. "We know that there were many, many people at this event, so there’s certainly a possibility of other exposures.”

#17559 3 years ago
813DDDAC-A414-4562-AFDC-275B71F95824 (resized).jpeg813DDDAC-A414-4562-AFDC-275B71F95824 (resized).jpeg
#17560 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

So what happens when you send the kids off to school? Are mom and dad going to be at risk every evening when Johnny and Susie get home from school?

It doesn’t make sense to send kids to school and everybody without an agenda knows it.

Like everything else about this botched, forced reopening, it will be a disastrous failure that sets us back months.

#17561 3 years ago

We told the school District shove it yesterday.
We are going at Home Academy 9th grade till at least Jan.
Schools are back and forth and have no clue what there doing here in LA and Orange County's Calif. They also have had all summer to make online school a good productive thing, but blew it and and are not prepared. Private online High school could make big bucks right now if they had it.
I gladly pay for a University pre college High school education these next few years.

#17562 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Queensland is going to come down on those chicks like a ton of bricks . There's already one case a linked to them . Imagine , two people could get the state Locked down . The rumour is that they we're doing a bit of five-finger discount from Louis Vuitton while they were here .

It may be puzzling at first, why anyone would travel from CV free area, across 2 states and a couple thousand kays... to a red infection hotspot... for a "party". WtF?? ... then Return!??

But, no. The obvious is looked to last, no-brainer once you put 2 and 2 together.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/three-women-accused-of-lying-on-border-passes-investigated-over-alleged-links-to-crime-syndicate/42cfcd5b-6d1d-4ff4-a10a-fdf798acf930?ref=BP_RSS_ninenews_5_police-probe-trio-s-possible-links-to-crime-syndicate_310720

"Police are now investigating the women's alleged links to a professional crime syndicate and whether they coached the girls on how to illegally cross the border."

"A 27-year-old man who dined at a Brisbane restaurant where one of the women was believed to have been on July 23 has tested positive to coronavirus. He has links to three people, two of whom are nurses, who work at an aged care facility in Brisbane."

Somethin' tells me some aspects of organised crime aren't really lovin' covid19 all that much. Lol

#17564 3 years ago

That didn’t take long. Tests positive after half of the first day of school.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/31/us/indiana-student-covid-positive-school/index.html

#17565 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/31/us/indiana-student-covid-positive-school/index.html

I hope I’m wrong but I suspect our Texas Attorney General is going to look pretty foolish for saying the state health department can’t mandate virtual learning until late September here to prevent spread of the pandemic, only in response to an outbreak.

So, many of our schools are opening for in person instruction in about 2 weeks. I’m all for opening schools but we are still a hit spot here in D/FW and the initial plan of virtual learning until late September and in person learning after that seemed pretty reasonable to me.

I suspect we will have at least one if not multiple outbreaks in Texas schools within a week or so of re-opening and THEN the schools will have to shut down again.

Once again, government not doing what is prudent up front in an attempt to make things seem “normal”.

#17566 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I hope I’m wrong but I suspect our Texas Attorney General is going to look pretty foolish for saying the state health department can’t mandate virtual learning until late September here to prevent spread of the pandemic, only in response to an outbreak.
So, many of our schools are opening for in person instruction in about 2 weeks. I’m all for opening schools but we are still a hit spot here in D/FW and the initial plan of virtual learning until late September and in person learning after that seemed pretty reasonable to me.
I suspect we will have at least one if not multiple outbreaks in Texas schools within a week or so of re-opening and THEN the schools will have to shut down again.
Once again, government not doing what is prudent up front in an attempt to make things seem “normal”.

Thankfully all of the schools in the greater austin area are all remote learning "for the first 3 weeks". I expect that to get extended.

#17567 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Screenshot_20200801-110450~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200801-110450~2 (resized).png
#17570 3 years ago

Kansas is having the same problems as everywhere else. But I think this one cuts to the chase.

The Federal Govt. can print money. All that it wants to print. And if that is not enough, Congress can authorize for even more money be printed with no end in sight.

The states, OTOH, have to balance their books annually.

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article244573722.html

The idea for $5 million in relief came last week from Commissioner Michael O’Donnell, who was against closing bars and clubs and proposed the additional money as a make-up for the county’s order.

“I recognize that this motion . . . it’s not perfect, but what I do know is that when we as a governing body tell certain businesses that they can’t open their doors, and then we still send them property tax bills for that same time, I think that’s very hypocritical,” O’Donnell said.
----------------------

The states mandate for balancing the books require that property taxes keep rolling in. Property taxes cannot stop. But when business is closed no prop taxes come in.

The pressure on the local decision makers has to be enormous.

#17571 3 years ago

The whole school decision is really, really tough for a lot of parents.

Our local school district was offering two options last week, and gave us about 4 days to decide. The two options they offered us were:

#1 - "Virtual Academy" that was online learning only, and you had to commit to that for the entire school year. Our state has never offered anything like this and they claim they "spent all summer" developing it. I have concerns that it will be low quality.

#2 - "In-Person" where the kids went back to school as long as the department of health says covid is low enough to go. If they weren't allowed to go back to the building, they would switch to "e-learning" which is what the end of this year was, different from virtual academy. It was also a disaster.

We picked Virtual Academy for our kids and we will just see how it goes. If I have to supplement their learning myself or hire tutors I guess that's what we are doing now.

#17573 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Tough for teachers too. My wife just found out yesterday that her position as junior high librarian is being eliminated this year. They just can't figure out a way to safely incorporate the library into the curriculum.

#17574 3 years ago

My sister might have to walk away from a tenured professorship if they do not grant her an emergency furlough/sabbatical. They already refused to allow her to do online only classes.

However, my nieces and nephews either have online primary school or their daycare is Covid closed.

Real economic costs to our collective incompetence.

Oh and one more article on kids and covid. Turns out that yep they can get it and yep they can give it just like the rest of us. It may not perma harm them as much (we still don’t know how bad it will be), but as with other infectious disease, the kids are the transmission vectors and will doom us all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/07/31/new-evidence-suggests-young-children-spread-covid-19-more-efficiently-than-adults/?fbclid=IwAR0O1_pDKrj2yP1cy6avrP2WF2lgQxEruDhfBvKxn-YsgYUheEj8YnaGqr8#5bd7738e19fd

#17575 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Kansas is having the same problems as everywhere else. But I think this one cuts to the chase.
The Federal Govt. can print money. All that it wants to print. And if that is not enough, Congress can authorize for even more money be printed with no end in sight.
The states, OTOH, have to balance their books annually.
https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article244573722.html
The idea for $5 million in relief came last week from Commissioner Michael O’Donnell, who was against closing bars and clubs and proposed the additional money as a make-up for the county’s order.
“I recognize that this motion . . . it’s not perfect, but what I do know is that when we as a governing body tell certain businesses that they can’t open their doors, and then we still send them property tax bills for that same time, I think that’s very hypocritical,” O’Donnell said.
----------------------
The states mandate for balancing the books require that property taxes keep rolling in. Property taxes cannot stop. But when business is closed no prop taxes come in.
The pressure on the local decision makers has to be enormous.

Our property taxes just went up 5%...

#17576 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Tough for teachers too. My wife just found out yesterday that her position as junior high librarian is being eliminated this year. They just can't figure out a way to safely incorporate the library into the curriculum.

Sorry to hear that. It’s honestly a missed opportunity to potentially get creative. I’ve been reading a ton of things around safely opening schools and (I don’t know if this even makes sense from an education standpoint) one of the more interesting ideas was to repurpose areas like the library, gym and cafeteria into classrooms to spread more kids out. Then you start with kindergarten and working your way up (first then second grade etc.) and determine how many kids you can accommodate in a healthy manner. You then repurpose librarians, gym teachers, etc to teach those classes. When you run out of healthy space you move the rest of the kids online. The thinking being the younger kids need more in person teaching and the older kids could more effectively be taught on line.

#17577 3 years ago

Anyone watching Precious Metals? Gold just under $2000 an Ounce, and silver at $24.50.
https://www.kitco.com/ is a good place for info and to track.

If anyone has any questions, other then where to sell, and predicting the market, feel free to PM for
a Bad "Professional" Opinion. (Almost 50 years in this)

Hard to say whats next....Hyperinflation?

#17578 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Our property taxes just went up 5%...

My town's residential tax rate is currently $22.24/$1k. We recently voted on our proposed town budget, with a tax reduction to $18.75/$1k (due to a recent real estate revaluation which jacked up everyone's home values) and no increased spending. The "citizens" voted no to the budget. So now the town is trying to take away our voting rights. I'd love to move out of this state.

#17580 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Our local school district was offering two options last week, and gave us about 4 days to decide. The two options they offered us were:

I work in a school on the tech side and if my kid was still of k-12 age, I would pull him out and send him to one of the many long running purely virtual school options and not stick with whatever the local school district is cobbling together. It's been part of my job this summer to read plans from many schools and they range wildly in quality and the vast majority are made by staff, administrators, with maybe a few faculty committees sprinkled in. The teachers are home for summer and just finding out about these plans with only a few weeks to prepare and likely only a couple official days of professional development.

Despite some experience making it up on the fly last spring, the vast majority of teachers have not been trained at teaching online and likely the lack the tech skills to do it well. Even those that have some computer savvy still need to completely adjust their curriculum and practice. Almost all of these teachers are being made to teach online or even worse simultaneous to students at home and in their rooms, from plans designed by people well meaning, but inexperienced at virtual instruction. It's like everyone is going to be a first year teacher again.

Depending on where you live, a virtual education from a professional virtual school may even be paid for with public money. I would check out those options.

Couple of examples just to show the concept and types of courses and not an endorsement of any particular company: flvsglobal.net eachieve.com

#17581 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hard to say whats next....Hyperinflation?

I was wondering the same thing. It’s gotta be either hyper inflation or higher taxes for richer folks, right? Only a few options to get out of the debt.

#17582 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Do they pay severance? Local teachers here apparently have to pay $2000 to break their teaching contract if they don’t want to go back to in person teaching and catch COVID this fall.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/surprise-education/2020/07/30/dysart-school-district-charging-teacher-2-000-leave-over-covid/5536925002/

#17583 3 years ago

Girlfriend’s brother called her today. He is retiring 2 years early, as in right now. He is going to burn a month’s sick leave until the retirement is complete on August 31.

He is/was a high school teacher. In Georgia. Outside of Atlanta.

Says it is a hosed up mess.

#17584 3 years ago

Please, Lets hope this doesnt reach the top, Id to start arguing this one..........Gasoline disinfectant.

https://gizmodo.com/bad-advice-from-dictators-gasoline-edition-1844570731

#17585 3 years ago

Something doesn't add up here. Not trying to cause conflict but a real concern and a real question. Here in Alabama, there is lots of conflict about opening up the schools. However, the state opened the daycares back up about two months ago. My daughter is in college (early education) and works in the afternoons at a daycare. So, if it's safe enough to open the daycares (questionable) wouldn't it be safe enough to open the schools? Again, don't flame me, I'm posing a legitimate question and would appreciate your thoughts on this seeming inconsistency.

#17586 3 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

Something doesn't add up here. Not trying to cause conflict but a real concern and a real question. Here in Alabama, there is lots of conflict about opening up the schools. However, the state opened the daycares back up about two months ago. My daughter is in college (early education) and works in the afternoons at a daycare. So, if it's safe enough to open the daycares (questionable) wouldn't it be safe enough to open the schools? Again, don't flame me, I'm posing a legitimate question and would appreciate your thoughts on this seeming inconsistency.

In my area, we have the option to send kids back or have them do online school. My 3 will all be doing the work online. I believe in the policy of "better safe than sorry."

#17587 3 years ago

"Victoria has entered a State of Disaster, and the entire metropolitan Melbourne area is now under Stage 4 coronavirus restrictions."

https://www.9news.com.au/national/victoria-state-of-disaster-melbourne-curfew-introduced-coronavirus-stage-4-lockdown-restrictions-what-they-mean/2e508cdb-6cfe-4a6f-ad80-52af9601435a?ref=BP_RSS_ninenews_0_-melbourne-under-stage-4-lockdown_020820

cq5dfam.web.616.940 (resized).jpegcq5dfam.web.616.940 (resized).jpeg

Another 2 cases here in SA now, one import from Victoria... many dozens now in mandatory isolation as a precaution from that. We are avoiding community transmission and open for business with such low numbers, the fight is to keep from importing masses of covid infected and letting them spread it. A week into the hard Vic border controls, just a week or two more before we see if they've been able to keep a lid on the covid insurgence.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-12/adf-arrives-at-south-australia-victoria-border-to-support-police/12447204

59df0dda3a3b51fc6951cdb90d99b896 (resized).jpg59df0dda3a3b51fc6951cdb90d99b896 (resized).jpg

It is some comfort that the ADF is on the ground around Oz in numbers to help with keeping things under control.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-in-australia-army-called-in-to-help-enforce-strict-new-quarantine-rules--c-766521

f518f3bccaaf74422f15c3942f2cc50913c44625-16x9-x0y170w4500h2531 (resized).jpgf518f3bccaaf74422f15c3942f2cc50913c44625-16x9-x0y170w4500h2531 (resized).jpg

#17588 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

"Victoria has entered a State of Disaster, and the entire metropolitan Melbourne area is now under Stage 4 coronavirus restrictions."

It just goes to show how quickly things can escalate even in a region that previously had a handle on things. This virus is so damn contagious that as soon as you show even the slightest bit of complacency, it is ready to pounce.

#17589 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It just goes to show how quickly things can escalate even in a region that previously had a handle on things. This virus is so damn contagious that as soon as you show even the slightest bit of complacency, it is ready to pounce.

It really is shocking.

But hey let’s play some baseball!

#17590 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It really is shocking.
But hey let’s play some baseball!

i heard you wont get the virus as long as you sit in the bleachers

#17591 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm glad to hear my area has had slight improvements over the last week (7 straight days with under 1,000 new cases), but that can change quickly...especially with how many people here who STILL think it's a hoax

#17592 3 years ago

School busing is going to be the big headache for anyone whose kid cannot walk to school.

School bus safety remains hurdle for returning to classes
https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/07/28/school-bus-safety-coronavirus-golodryga-pkg-newday-vpx.cnn

#17593 3 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

Based on what I have read there seems to be evidence that young children are not infected at and do not transmit at the same (much higher) rates as adults. These particular benefits of youth don’t seem to extend to teens and to a lesser degree preteens, so I can see the logic behind daycares being safer to open than post-elementary schools.

Decisions being made seem to be based more on economics than safety though, including when it comes to daycares.

#17594 3 years ago

Perhaps the takeaway here is that if taken early, a combination of Tang, Cool Whip, and Pop Rocks is actually a cure for Covid-19, but the Illuminati NWO is holding back as this proven cure only allows them to track "select" individuals, and as such is not considered a viable option for complete domination over the entire population...

116340358_10223310495205700_5474543545119672327_n (resized).jpg116340358_10223310495205700_5474543545119672327_n (resized).jpg
#17595 3 years ago

"Arkansas governor says there is no correlation between Covid-19 spike and lifting of restrictions"

#17596 3 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Based on what I have read there seems to be evidence that young children are not infected at and do not transmit at the same (much higher) rates as adults. These particular benefits of youth don’t seem to extend to teens and to a lesser degree preteens, so I can see the logic behind daycares being safer to open than post-elementary schools.
Decisions being made seem to be based more on economics than safety though, including when it comes to daycares.

False. Two recent studies have found young (under 5) to be at least just as transmissible as adults.

#17597 3 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

Not going to flame you, good question!

The answer is that it's probably not "safe" to open daycares if your definition of "safe" is that there will not be COVID transmission among kids and teachers. Here in Texas our number of COVID cases linked to daycares went from 800 at the end of June to 2800 at the end of July with about 1/3 of those new cases being teachers and other workers at the daycare.

Here in Texas parents are really struggling with what to do about schooling their kids. Our local ISD has made the questionable decision to proceed with in person school on August 19th. I've reviewed their protocols and they are doing about everything they can (mandatory masking, students being cohorted in small groups for the whole day, disinfecting desk and rooms daily and throughout the day, monitoring programs in place, etc) however I don't think any amount of protocols is going to be able to prevent an outbreak given the current prevalence of the disease here in north Texas.

In short, if your county has low amounts of COVID and the daycare or school has good protocols in place, it's probably reasonable to send your kid to school/daycare. If you are in an area with high case loads, it's more risky.

#17598 3 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

1) scale - look at the size of most daycare class sizes compared to schools
2) scale - look at gow many are in school vs daycare
3) movement- most daycare does not rotate or regroup into nee groups every hour or 90mins like most middle school and up do
4) the age grouos in daycare vs school as a whole
5) busing

Just some of the examples of how they differ

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 352 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/352?hl=noob-a-tron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.