272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 576.
#1651 4 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

If it drives into voters minds that having supply chains and jobs in foreign countries is idiotic and destroys a middle class we desperately need- he can call it IdiotChineseCommunist virus for all I care.

I agree 100%!

American companies should make their products in America. They should also pay corporate taxes in America and not pretend like their operating bases are in a foreign country tax-shelter.

But who's going to make them? As consumers, would we stop buying iPhones and buying Apple stock until Apple starts making phones in America and paying Corporate Taxes in America?

What about neck ties? Should those be made in the US?

#1652 4 years ago

Guys you are imploding on the internet what chance has America got. China will win. I just hope us Aussies do not turn on each other also but i think we will. Also remember facts The Spanish Flu originated from a military base in Kansas. America dropped 2 big bombs on Japan so come on stop who did this who did that crap. It happened move on and fight it together.

#1653 4 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

Where have the political police gone? For FS can't we get a thread without politics? Maybe start a separate thread where political warfare is officially allowed??

You've got to use the Snowflake button in the bottom right-corner to return to a Safe Space.

#1654 4 years ago

Same as it ever was.

One side takes a stand, like myself to support whatever and whoever can fix this mess and not worry about getting my feelings hurt and the other tries to chisel away at it with insults and other tactics for some other agenda.

See the now defunct flu shot thread.

#1655 4 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

Where have the political police gone? For FS can't we get a thread without politics? Maybe start a separate thread where political warfare is officially allowed??

Big thumbs up here. I hope the rest of humanity is doing better than this thread.

#1656 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Guys you are imploding on the internet what chance has America got. China will win. I just hope us Aussies do not turn on each other also but i think we will. Also remember facts The Spanish Flu originated from a military base in Kansas. America dropped 2 big bombs on Japan so come on stop who did this who did that crap. It happened move on and fight it together.

Agreed, this is uncharted territory, a lot of people are pent up for the first time, I cut everyone slack now, the world will pull through this, and hopefully wiser.

#1657 4 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

Maybe start a separate thread where political warfare is officially allowed??

That's really not a bad idea but I just don't think it'll happen.

It really would work if people didn't drag beefs across thread lines but I have a feeling many here couldn't handle that.

#1658 4 years ago

Throwing around the racist label to complete strangers for your own agenda is disgusting and provocative. Shameful actually.I refuse to throw labels at people, especially strangers, ever.

#1659 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's really not a bad idea but I just don't think it'll happen.
It really would work if people didn't drag beefs across thread lines but I have a feeling many here couldn't handle that.

Levi hates crossbeefers!!

#1660 4 years ago

Anyone else find it strange that Russia hasn't really said anything about the caronavirus? Is it because they keep their people inside their borders and no one travels there?

#1661 4 years ago

I just hope we can get some China Masks, China Gloves, and China Protective Gowns in stock soon for our healthcare workers.

See you guys tomorrow. Gonna go take my China Blood Pressure Medicine and go to sleep.

#1662 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Levi hates crossbeefers!!

I can't handle it!!!!

Drag a beef across thread lines into the NFL thread just cause I owned them in some other thread?! Ridiculous!

#1664 4 years ago

I do not want to be a broken record here and will let it go after this.
When I hear that N-95 or P-100 masks are readily available to the Public then will be assured we are making progress.
Every time a person walks out and does Business and comes back virus-free then that is one less person our brave
Medical Workers has to deal with, it works both ways.
We can get over our preconceived notions, the stigma or loss of machismo, masks and gloves offer a return to freedom
somewhat.
Have no issues with donning either if it means hugging my Granddaughter again, soon.

#1665 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Anyone else find it strange that Russia hasn't really said anything about the caronavirus? Is it because they keep their people inside their borders and no one travels there?

I've been reading about the tuberculosis BCG vaccine and its connection to coronavirus. Long story short if you have had the BCG vaccine I would feel a lot better about surviving corona. The BCG was never mandatory in the USA and there are different strains of the vaccine but it could be a contributing factor as to why Japan, Russia/former Soviet states(even former east and west Germany have markedly different rates), and many others have not been hit as hard as USA, Italy, Spain et al. Nothing is proven, I'm not a doctor or scientist, but it is being looked into by actual smart people.

Edited for some links.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-news/belgium-all-news/101057/tb-vaccine-considered-in-fight-against-coronavirus/
https://www.abundance.org/crucial-research-assessing-efficacy-in-preventing-covid-19-of-widely-used-vaccine-for-tuberculosis-called-bcg/
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912152&userid=78326&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post502927060
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912152&pagenumber=1408#post503394706

#1666 4 years ago
53E42A03-3412-46FF-84FC-740B9441FF12 (resized).jpeg53E42A03-3412-46FF-84FC-740B9441FF12 (resized).jpeg
#1667 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

See the now defunct flu shot thread

That thread’s living rent free in your head

#1668 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

A lot of Capital is utilized trying to figure out what Russia is doing.

#1669 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I was wondering the same thing

#1670 4 years ago

All this political bickering makes me long for the days when the worst anyone could complain about in a thread was "OMG CARGUMENT!!!"

#1671 4 years ago

Just a thought. How bad are countries that deal with malaria getting hit with COVID-19?

#1672 4 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

. I hope the rest of humanity is doing better than this thread.

It could be worse...let the drunk stock broker show up again and call everyone an idiot for worrying about this chinaflu hoax...bada boom markets gonna reboound on Monday boys! I’m audi bitches!! Woot

#1673 4 years ago

You know what fucking pisses me off? Mf'r just got back from Mexico 2 days ago and isn't self quarantine. Saw him going into the grocery store today. You can't get someone to pick some groceries for you? I pray in a week or two my town isn't one of the ones where the nursing home is ravaged with covid-19 because of one stupid fuk

#1674 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

The USA has and will always be melting pot. We fight and bicker. It might look like we are our own worst enemy. When it comes down to it we come together like always. You will see.

#1676 4 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Just a thought. How bad are countries that deal with malaria getting hit with COVID-19?

Interesting concept Captain. (Spock)

#1677 4 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Throwing around the racist label to complete strangers for your own agenda is disgusting and provocative. Shameful actually.I refuse to throw labels at people, especially strangers, ever.

Seems certain people can only feel good about themselves or get whatever attention they crave by insulting others who don't deserve it. Not in a humorous fashion or something random, but vindictively and part of their regular vocabulary. Been going on since I was in grade school, and I'd imagine it will still be going on long after I am gone.

Nowadays I guess they call it internet bullying.

#1678 4 years ago

The good news is I watched the President of Spain (or maybe his Health Director) admit that patients over 60 no longer qualify
for extensive measures and will be given pain meds to help them go onward. A logical choice and a difficult one to make.
It could be worse, in WW! and at other times in History there was no Doctor Roberts dispensing morphine.

#1679 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

People really need to stop calling things facts that are just hypothesis, theories or opinions. Your so called fact is not true. It is one of several hypothesis.
The Spanish flu did not originate on a military base in Kansas. In the US it was first diagnosed there but that doesn't mean it originated there.

Here is another hypothesis. May 22, 2018 - More recently, experts have proposed a third hypothesis: The Spanish flu originated somewhere in northern China in late 1917 and swiftly moved to western Europe with the 140,000 Chinese laborers the French and British governments recruited to perform manual labor to free up troops for wartime duty. From History.com

And from wikipedia.org
Hypotheses about the source
United Kingdom

The major UK troop staging and hospital camp in Étaples in France has been theorized by researchers as being at the center of the Spanish flu. The research was published in 1999 by a British team, led by virologist John Oxford.[17] In late 1917, military pathologists reported the onset of a new disease with high mortality that they later recognized as the flu. The overcrowded camp and hospital was an ideal site for the spreading of a respiratory virus. The hospital treated thousands of victims of chemical attacks, and other casualties of war, and 100,000 soldiers passed through the camp every day. It also was home to a piggery, and poultry was regularly brought in for food supplies from surrounding villages. Oxford and his team postulated that a significant precursor virus, harbored in birds, mutated and then migrated to pigs kept near the front.[18][19]

A report published in 2016 in the Journal of the Chinese Medical Association found evidence that the 1918 virus had been circulating in the European armies for months and possibly years before the 1918 pandemic.[20]
United States

There have been statements that the epidemic originated in the United States. Historian Alfred W. Crosby stated in 2003 that the flu originated in Kansas,[21] and popular author John Barry described Haskell County, Kansas, as the point of origin in his 2004 article.[11] It has also been stated by historian Santiago Mata in 2017 that, by late 1917, there had already been a first wave of the epidemic in at least 14 US military camps.[22]

A 2018 study of tissue slides and medical reports lead by evolutionary biology professor Michael Worobey found evidence against the disease originating from Kansas as those cases were milder and had fewer deaths compared to the situation in New York City in the same time period. The study did find evidence through phylogenetic analyses that the virus likely had a North American origin, though it was not conclusive. In addition, the haemagglutinin glycoproteins of the virus suggest that it was around far prior to 1918 and other studies suggest that the reassortment of the H1N1 virus likely occurred in or around 1915.[23]
China

One of the few regions of the world seemingly less affected by the 1918 flu pandemic was China, where there may have been a comparatively mild flu season in 1918 (although this is disputed due to lack of data in the Warlord Period of China, see Around the globe). Multiple studies have documented that there were relatively few deaths from the flu in China compared to other regions of the world.[24][25][26] This has led to speculation that the 1918 flu pandemic originated in China.[27][25][28][29] The relatively mild flu season and lower rates of flu mortality in China in 1918 may be explained due to the fact that the Chinese population had already possessed acquired immunity to the flu virus. [30][27][25] However, a study by K.F. Cheng and P.C. Leung in 2006 have suggested it was more likely because the traditional Chinese medicine played an important role in prevention and treatment.[27]

In 1993, Claude Hannoun, the leading expert on the 1918 flu for the Pasteur Institute, asserted the former virus was likely to have come from China. It then mutated in the United States near Boston and from there spread to Brest, France, Europe's battlefields, Europe, and the world with Allied soldiers and sailors as the main disseminators.[31] He considered several other hypotheses of origin, such as Spain, Kansas and Brest, as being possible, but not likely. Political scientist Andrew Price-Smith published data from the Austrian archives suggesting the influenza had earlier origins, beginning in Austria in early 1917.[32]

In 2014, historian Mark Humphries argued that the mobilization of 96,000 Chinese laborers to work behind the British and French lines might have been the source of the pandemic. Humphries, of the Memorial University of Newfoundland in St. John's, based his conclusions on newly unearthed records. He found archival evidence that a respiratory illness that struck northern China in November 1917 was identified a year later by Chinese health officials as identical to the Spanish flu.[33][34]

A report published in 2016 in the Journal of the Chinese Medical Association found no evidence that the 1918 virus was imported to Europe via Chinese and Southeast Asian soldiers and workers and instead found evidence of its circulation in Europe before the pandemic.[20] The 2016 study suggested that the low flu mortality rate (an estimated 1/1000) found among the Chinese and Southeast Asian workers in Europe meant that the deadly 1918 influenza pandemic could not have originated from those workers.[20]

A 2018 study of tissue slides and medical reports lead by evolutionary biology professor Michael Worobey found evidence against the disease being spread by Chinese workers, noting that workers entered Europe through other routes that did not result in detectable spread, making them unlikely to have been the original hosts.[23]

#1680 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

One side takes a stand,

You mean like Stephen King’s “The Stand”?

Ironically, also a movie about the end of the world from disease (or the Devil). Awesome intro scene with Don’t Fear the Reaper from Blue Öyster Cult playing though.

That’s what so many people aren’t getting about this. And it’s so damn simple. Two weeks is all we need.

In that time, anybody in self-isolation with it would’ve developed symptoms, and if you don’t you are clear. Those that have it will stay secluded, or would be receiving appropriate medical care (subject to availability). The rest of the country could start to resume normal activities...slowly and cautiously.

But that would only be if EVERYBODY cooperates.

#1681 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

The good news is I watched the President of Spain (or maybe his Health Director) admit that patients over 60 no longer qualify
for extensive measures and will be given pain meds to help them go onward. A logical choice and a difficult one to make.
It could be worse, in WW! and at other times in History there was no Doctor Roberts dispensing morphine.

Source please.

#1682 4 years ago

Man, I get why they combined all the threads, but before they did I was following a couple and I could stay on top of things. Now since they've all been put into one, there are so many posts it's nearly impossible to keep up, and the really important/useful posts get lost. Ah well, whadya do?

#1683 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

good news if your 59

#1684 4 years ago

The television show 60 minutes did a good job with stories of how scientists are fighting the virus and another good story focusing on the financial side of things.

#1685 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

[quoted image]

This by far, is the best post I've seen in days, cheers my boy!!!

#1686 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

You know what fucking pisses me off? Mf'r just got back from Mexico 2 days ago and isn't self quarantine. Saw him going into the grocery store today. You can't get someone to pick some groceries for you? I pray in a week or two my town isn't one of the ones where the nursing home is ravaged with covid-19 because of one stupid fuk

You think that's bad. One of my coworkers at the grocery store was supposed to go on a cruise. It was canceled so she went to Key West. Sent pictures on FB being out celebrating. Then went to different places in FL. She comes back to work this week. She is on of the complete deniers. I'm really , really not looking forward to going to work tomorrow.

#1687 4 years ago

Hard to tell because of their isolation from where the disease originated from.

#1688 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Ah well, whadya do?

Turn on HBO.

#1689 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

That’s what so many people aren’t getting about this. And it’s so damn simple. Two weeks is all we need.
In that time, anybody in self-isolation with it would’ve developed symptoms, and if you don’t you are clear. Those that have it will stay secluded, or would be receiving appropriate medical care (subject to availability). The rest of the country could start to resume normal activities...slowly and cautiously.

They are doing this to prevent an all at once overwhelming of the healthcare system. Once they do and things open back up, then we can probably expect a second or possible third or even fourth or more waves. Unless the virus peters out, this could go on a year or even more.

While we enjoy back to business as usual, if there ever will be such a thing again, more people will be getting sick and dying from it until everybody's been exposed to it.

Quoted from Colsond3:

You mean like Stephen King’s “The Stand”?

Yes, I watched it "you are just a little cockroach, running cockroach errands". lol

#1690 4 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Hard to tell because of their isolation from where the disease originated from.

Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam are top travel destinations in addition to the US, South Korea and Italy. So how are the first three fairing? Those are in malaria hot spots.

#1691 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Man, I get why they combined all the threads, but before they did I was following a couple and I could stay on top of things. Now since they've all been put into one, there are so many posts it's nearly impossible to keep up, and the really important/useful posts get lost. Ah well, whadya do?

Don’t use pinside to stay on top of things...

#1692 4 years ago

Israeli medical doctor Gai Peleg told Israeli television that in northern Italy the orders are not to allow those over 60 access to respiratory machines.

https://www.jpost.com/International/Israeli-doctor-in-Italy-We-no-longer-help-those-over-60-621856

Welp.

#1693 4 years ago

Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam are top travel destinations in addition to the US, South Korea and Italy. So how are the first three fairing? Those are in malaria hot spots.

Singapore is doing Excellent, same as South Korea. From the past experiences with other Viruses, everyone was well stocked with masks, and they locked down really early.
This is the lesson to be learned. A 2-3 month supply of Masks per person, and more people can go out.
You cant go out without one, in most all urban areas. $30-$50 per person, for a 3 month supply.
On top of that they have the highest health care, at the lowest cost...roughly 1/3 ours.
Its a great model to use or adapt to fix our issues here in healthcare.

#1694 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They are doing this to prevent an all at once overwhelming of the healthcare system.

True, but we could get this thing under wraps if we were all truly vigilant.

Do you know what scares the hell out of me? Nothing that would happen to me from this, even death.

I have a 6 year-old daughter, not 7 until July. She has pretty bad asthma. Anything happening to her, or me feeling bad for the person at the hospital that tells me I’m not allowed to be in a room with her if it came to that. There is no fucking way I would leave her alone to deal with anything from this. That is my biggest fear.

#1695 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Israeli medical doctor Gai Peleg told Israeli television that in northern Italy the orders are not to allow those over 60 access to respiratory machines.
https://www.jpost.com/International/Israeli-doctor-in-Italy-We-no-longer-help-those-over-60-621856
Welp.

Thanks Bob, that was one of the Reports I read.

#1696 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Wow.

#1697 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

True, but we could get this thing under wraps if we were all truly vigilant.
Do you know what scares the hell out of me? Nothing that would happen to me from this, even death.
I have a 6 year-old daughter, not 7 until July. She has pretty bad asthma. Anything happening to her, or me feeling bad for the person at the hospital that tells me I’m not allowed to be in a room with her if it came to that. There is no fucking way I would leave her alone to deal with anything from this. That is my biggest fear.

You are not alone.

#1698 4 years ago

No one is being honest with "The numbers". They may be taking their lead from others, but this seems to be the Trend.
I feel the accurate numbers will come out ten years from now.

#1699 4 years ago

Remdesivir seems like it's more promising.

But if someone is on death's door and there is no hope left, and they can agree to it, then I think "compassionate use" laws allow for it?

Try whatever hail Mary drugs on hand.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/who-launches-global-megatrial-four-most-promising-coronavirus-treatments

#1700 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Don’t respond, report....though earlier today SOMEone said it was never called a hoax. Lol

I'm not saying the virus is a hoax. How about the newest witch hunt, would that be a better term?

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/34?hl=damoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.