272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 349 of 576.
#17400 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I agree on all of that, however, wouldn't a mask and never getting the flu be better than medicine, etc? Again, assuming it would cut the number of cases substantially - which I have no idea if it would.

It is recommended but often ignored.

Because freedom.

#17401 3 years ago

I would love to see masks being worn for flu. We could really put a dent in airborne virus transmission with more cautious behavior across the board.

I think though that you are seeing first hand why masks aren't a part of our culture. We can't get people to wear masks for covid-19, they sure as hell aren't going to do it for flu.

#17402 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Another difference - because the influenza virus and SARS-Cov-2 do not infect the same cells in the airway, an infected individual releases far more Covid than influenza virus when breathing / speaking / coughing. And the difference seems to be enormous - we are talking about several orders of magnitude. Not to mention "super-spreaders" with an even higher virus titer. A single person like this in a closed environment, especially a cold environment, may contaminate hundreds.
That's probably why when a passenger in a boat was contaminated, contagion was so effective (remember the Diamond Princess, not to mention military vessels). It never happened with the flu.
This does not mean that masks / distancing / washing hands would be useless for influenza, just that the damn Covid thing is much harder to contain.

Agreed.

#17403 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

“I have questions” and “I’m just saying” are hallmarks of trolls and science deniers.

While that may be, this is not case for me. I don't blindly follow whatever is thrown my way anymore. If something doesn't quite add up I feel it deserves some review. In this case, I'm asking why if we Americans suffer from the flu we haven't been firmly recommended to wear masks. I realize covid and influenza are different beasts, but it seems like a simple/cheap way to save lives and misery.

If you disagree, perhaps you are the one denying science?

#17404 3 years ago

Just curious if any of you have had your phone impregnated with the covid 19 "Tracer app" ?? I like how they sneak this in without any consent. I noticed mine about three weeks ago. Have you enabled it and have you been contacted by anyone regarding you alledgedly being in close range of someone who i"s infected"

#17405 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Here is another sigh of things to come. A post made of Facebook by my sister about something she saw on railroad cars yesterday. Kind of makes you wonder what more CDC or our government knows and they are not talking about!
https://www.facebook.com/JoannieEggert/posts/10207560865057801

I'm not sure if I agree with the entire FEMA camp conspiracy, BUT, the camps are a thing as this lady saw some things in motion.

It's always good to observe and ask questions. If that gets you in trouble, you were probably right about something.

#17406 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

So, you have nothing to add then?

#17407 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Re: flu
We have relatively good medicine.
We have relatively effective yearly vaccines.
We have residual immunity both at individual and herd levels.
Our hospital systems are sufficient for normal year sickness levels and can generally squeeze through a bad year.
Timing of when you are a spreader is drastically different.
Asymptomatic spread is low.
Even bad flu years do not remotely approach the damage covid does. Both in terms of needing to rent refrigerated morgue trucks and in potentially permanent disability.
That being said, you best believe my wife warns her susceptible patients and caregivers during flu season.

People coming to this thread with a flu argument are not looking for a science lesson. But i applaud your optimism!

#17408 3 years ago

Flu hasn't claimed 3 Vietnam War's worth of American lives in 5 months recently. The last time it did, masks and distancing were also a pretty big deal and they saved lives.

#17409 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I would love to see masks being worn for flu. We could really put a dent in airborne virus transmission with more cautious behavior across the board. I think though that you are seeing first hand why masks aren't a part of our culture. We can't get people to wear masks for covid-19, they sure as hell aren't going to do it for flu.

Putting aside politics, what exactly is it about Americans that makes us so unconcerned about others? Are we just assholes? As has already been pointed out in this thread, people in many other cultures wear a mask without hesitation to protect their fellow citizens if they are feeling under the weather. Americans, on the other hand, regularly go to work with fevers and no mask.

#17410 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Just curious if any of you have had your phone impregnated with the covid 19 "Tracer app" ?? I like how they sneak this in without any consent. I noticed mine about three weeks ago. Have you enabled it and have you been contacted by anyone regarding you alledgedly being in close range of someone who i"s infected"

Do you mean this?:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2020/06/20/have-apple-and-google-suddenly-uploaded-a-covid-19-tracking-app-to-your-phone-android-iphone-exposure-notification-contact-tracing/#25a7da7c6054

#17411 3 years ago

Congressman Louie Gohmert, a Texas Republican who has refused to wear a mask, has tested positive for the coronavirus

#17412 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Wow. Did that take you all night?
Look up Project Mockingbird someday. Or perhaps Project MKUltra.
As I stated, not everything is a conspiracy, but there certainly have been "conspiracy theories" that have been dead on correct.
In terms of Covid, I honestly don't "know". But here is a question.if masks are going to save us, why haven't we been using them for influenza? I realize this Covid is a Corona - SARS snake rat concoction, but seriously, why hasn't our US government at least hyped up wearing masks during flu season? Plenty of elderly die from it, no?
Sorry if I'm becoming the 4th person here to disrupt the thread. I just have questions. I'm not necessarily defending anyone, as was previously stated, just asking people to think a little. I've been wrong plenty of times in my life, but every once in a while a question pays off. Can't we have a civil discussion without mockery?
So again, why haven't we been mandated, or at least strongly urged, to wear masks during the flu season?

Quoted from gambit3113:

Because influenza is a wholly different animal. It's not as contagious as this virus, and certainly not by the same mechanisms. Just because something is effective for one virus does not mean it is an effective preventative against another. That is NOT a difficult concept to grasp. The people claiming to just "have some questions" are full of shit. This is a complete inability to differentiate between entirely different strains of entirely different disease. Do you also go to the zoo and demand that the tigers be kept in the aquarium, because crocodiles are also man eaters?

Quoted from Neal_W:

I guess it's our culture. It is common to see someone that is not feeling well using a mask to keep their coworkers and those around them from getting sick in Japan. It has been a common sight since I first spent a year there in '92. Maybe other cultures and countries will follow suit as they become a little more comfortable and educated about masks. (They are not worn because of pollution as suggested a page back.)
I have a friend who often says when coming down with a bug, "going out to get a few drinks to burn this thing out of me", since they are the personality type that NEVER wants to stay home. I would remind them that rest makes more sense, and typically the following day they are feeling worse and stuck in bed after ignoring my advice. Since my friend is actually a considerate person, they may start staying home when coming down with something after the lessons of 2020, and wanting to keep their friends and others healthy, and they may not be the only one.

Quoted from Oaken:

Re: flu
We have relatively good medicine.
We have relatively effective yearly vaccines.
We have residual immunity both at individual and herd levels.
Our hospital systems are sufficient for normal year sickness levels and can generally squeeze through a bad year.
Timing of when you are a spreader is drastically different.
Asymptomatic spread is low.
Even bad flu years do not remotely approach the damage covid does. Both in terms of needing to rent refrigerated morgue trucks and in potentially permanent disability.
That being said, you best believe my wife warns her susceptible patients and caregivers during flu season.

Quoted from razorsedge:

No, bewildered mockers gonna mock.
A good question is why are low risk, cheap, effective early treatments being buried and unreasonably ridiculed particularly in America and a handfull of other countries, by the "free media"? ... there are several countries with high infection and Very low death rate that have those numbers at least in part because they actually Treat infected people Early... instead of once they're in ICU and nearly dead already?
No, not the hydroxywhatever crap either (that just seems risky and used to stifle or cloud discussion of actual treatment outcomes), there are others that Are reasonable to employ...
I'm sure it has nothing to do with money. Money interests would surely not just let people die for profit. How ridiculous!
Lots of oblivious people with all the "answers". I mostly just have questions too, that seem to have no reasonable answer.
Why is America the king of Covid? ... good question... love to hear the Correct answer on that one as I'm sure many would, but doubt it will be found here. It's political and financial so we can't even talk aboot it. Just the way pollies like it.
Amazingly, so many have their head so deep in the sand they can't even observe their divisive system at work.
Outcome doesn't look real good.

When I as growing up, we got the "intestinal" flu. Sometimes you were hugging a toilet. Sometimes you were just aching all over. Life went on.

Draconian sick leave policies "said" you went work if you were able to walk. And that is if there was a sick leave policy. Some jobs were "miss work---you're fired" sick leave policies. If you had a paid sick leave policy you were golden. Nobody wore masks. Mask wearing was not on the radar. You went to work and did your job; And caught whatever your co-worker brought with him. You don't work; You don't eat.

Until this Covid, I never knew that thousands died each year with the flu. I used to be lackadaisical about getting and annual flu shot. Those days are now behind me. Next year, I will be first in line for a flu shot.

Only just now, I am starting to see packages of masks at the sales counter when I have to go out somewhere. Masks were never a mainstream thing and never pushed if you were going to being out and about during flu season ( perhaps the mask makers missed a good marketing opportunity in all the years past ? ).

And now, with Covid, every store would prefer you wear a mask when you enter.

But, let's roll back the tape a few months before all of this happened: What do you think would happen if you walked into a Walmart with a mask on? If you don't think security would not be on your ass, I invite you to think again. Security would be on you like stink on shit. What do you think would happen if you were black and came in wearing a mask? Let that one soak in.

After all that has been going on and after the Covid has passed on by, what will happen a couple of years down the road, if during flu season I want to wear a mask? Will the stores still allow mask or are they going to think I'm there to clean out the cash register?

My feeble mind thinks that if a mask is about the best all around option for dealing with Covid then a mask should be just as good for the flu. Or a cold. In the future, I think I will always have a mask within easy reach and if someone comes up to me with a runny nose I am going mask up.

#17413 3 years ago

Here's an example of the kind of reporting we get through free to air media here in Australia. I'd be interested to hear some feedback from the people the show is about... personally I don't quite know how to take some of the info.

They call it "Planet America":

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/planet-america?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyebu0dny6gIVhjUrCh3YbQUyEAAYASAAEgLzvPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I suppose it is possible some regions may not have direct access, I don't know.

#17414 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Putting aside politics, what exactly is it about Americans that makes us so unconcerned about others? Are we just assholes? As has already been pointed out in this thread, people in many other cultures wear a mask without hesitation to protect their fellow citizens if they are feeling under the weather. Americans, on the other hand, regularly go to work with fevers and no mask.

I really wish I knew the answer to that.

There are a ton of other social contracts we have with others. Even stopping at stop signs is an agreement we follow to keep from hurting each other.

#17415 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200729-100314~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200729-100314~2 (resized).png
#17416 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

In this case, I'm asking why if we Americans suffer from the flu we haven't been firmly recommended to wear masks. I realize covid and influenza are different beasts, but it seems like a simple/cheap way to save lives and misery.

It's already been answered.

And you would notice that masks and isolation are recommended when people have contagious diseases like the flu. It's not done enmass because the problems facing the general public from the two diseases are not the same. And masks are seen as obtrusive, so it's not something you need to push for to deal with the public health issue. It's about "right sizing" your solutions to the problems you are facing.

#17417 3 years ago

Yeah, when the media is so well filtered, it seems to fall to artists and musos to try and get people to think about things a bit more broadly.

Here's another one ... from 2004, following in the gloomy shadow of some other past events. Kinda timeless though in some ways perhaps?

It happens alot but depends on content, there are plenty of examples. Notice that both of these bands are American, relative flops in the US, but made it Big basically everywhere else. hmmmm.

I recall someone asked, how does the US appear to those of us looking from the outside? ... well, for one thing there is a separate comedy industry. Lets just say the comedy may not be seen as comedy to an American, so I suppose quite likely it is never or rarely viewed inside the US.

#17418 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

People coming to this thread with a flu argument are not looking for a science lesson. But i applaud your optimism!

So you are saying no mask for flu, also an airborne contagion? It seems as though you aren't denying effectiveness, but rather skirting an issue. Notice how I said "it seems"? I say that because I don't truly know your intentions. You however may be omniscient?

Look, I've read the CDC and Mayo Clinic reports since my last few posts. Seems as though they state some effectiveness, yet don't recommend unless you are in medical services. A bit contradictory I think, but again, what do I know? That's why I ask questions.

No place have I stated don't wear a mask.

#17419 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

You are attacking an honest question. I understand that the flu is not the same (see my reference to SARS snakes rats). I do not understand how influenza gets transmitted apparently. I did do a quick search and found this though:
Flu / Contagiousness
Contagious
Partly preventable by vaccine.
HOW IT SPREADS
By airborne respiratory droplets (coughs or sneezes).
By skin-to-skin contact (handshakes or hugs).
By saliva (kissing or shared drinks).
By touching a contaminated surface (blanket or doorknob).
So, I don't know, I guess I'm just really dumb, but seems as though masks and alcohol sanitizer would certainly help. But im probably just "full of shit" as you say.

The problem is the constant comparing of "the flu" to COIVD. We all know why this happened and who's fault it is. Six months into this there's no excuse to be asking that question/making that comparison. We should ALL know better by now, even one-time deniers or "this is just a flu" types.

THe fact is if you REALLY don't want to catch the flu, wear a mask during flu season. ANd yes, if we all wore masks all the time, nobody would get the flu, either, so it's really up to you. PErsonally, I can see this mask thing becoming a full time deal. I don't see why I'd go to Pinburgh and get sick like I do every single year if I can wear a mask and possibly help it. The more people wearing masks at the next pinburgh, the less likely I'll be to get the flu.

#17420 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

After all that has been going on and after the Covid has passed on by, what will happen a couple of years down the road, if during flu season I want to wear a mask? Will the stores still allow mask or are they going to think I'm there to clean out the cash register?
My feeble mind thinks that if a mask is about the best all around option for dealing with Covid then a mask should be just as good for the flu. Or a cold. In the future, I think I will always have a mask within easy reach and if someone comes up to me with a runny nose I am going mask up.

It's a brave new world. Masks will stick around after this thing runs its course. I suspect flu season will be full of masks from this point forward. Although I think that the handwashing and sanitizing protocols are going to be more important to deal with influenza, but I also think that hand shaking and direct contact with non family members will be a thing of the past for many people, too.

#17421 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Are we just assholes?

Yes - There are plenty of platforms out there now preaching that putting your rights above all else is paramount. It's hyperbolic posturing as a way advocate you can't let someone infringe on something, else you'll lose even more.

The 'slippery slope' scenario is not new - but the drive to convince people that it's a threat worth pushing back against is stronger than ever.

It's a byproduct of the polarizing gap forming in our politics. Where people are being drawn to extremes rather than moderation. You see it in entertainment... you see it in social interactions... (karen'ing).. you see it in our politics.

People are motivated by fear and boogeyman. People want 'easy answers'... It's a ripe market for manipulation and conditioning.

The polarizing politics are pushing agendas like 'caring for others is socialism' and other hyperbolic crap. They preach that doing X will lead to Y... and lump things in together. "Fighting big government" is a easy umbrella to lump your efforts under.

#17424 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Congressman Louie Gohmert, a Texas Republican who has refused to wear a mask, has tested positive for the coronavirus

Any interviews with people like this AFTER the fact, if they survive? That would be interesting.

#17425 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Putting aside politics, what exactly is it about Americans that makes us so unconcerned about others? Are we just assholes?

Yes, that is certainly a huge part of it.

One part of it is the lie of "American exceptionalism." We've all convinced ourselves we are the best in the world at everything. We are the best in the world at not catching this dumb disease so why do we need masks? We also consume more garbage media propaganda than anybody on earth. Basically, we bullshit ourselves all the time about how we are the best people in the world, and we eagerly consume an unparalled amount of bullshit.

You see the results. SHouldn't be a surprise that it's bullshit!

#17426 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You can’t truly answer this with putting politics aside.

#17427 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

It's not extremist. He was defending people who refuse to wear masks. So I made a valid comparison. Which is selfish as the mask helps cut spread down by a factor of 5. Since the mask mandate went into effect in texas our daily case counts have been in steady decline (It's also been hotter here so maybe that's been a factor as well? Don't know about that).

It was Absolutely Extreme to be suggesting to RonSS that "you don't obey any laws?", when he was making a post more on Privacy, not Masks wearing. He said he will wear a mask when required, as will I. Heck I worked in a job for 20 years that Mandated I wear a Respirator for average half of any working day (4-6 hours, 2 hours at a time sometimes longer, and often around extreme furnace heat as a maintainer in full PPE), if I did not follow that requirement I could very well have been dead long ago.

That "you don't obey any laws?" line is a Ridiculous generalization to make, Extreme!. You took my use of the word "extremist" completely out of context I'm afraid. Never mind though, masses of people take things completely out of context All The Time. Above we just pointed out a Chain of missed context.

#17428 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

something something bootstraps, determination, walking uphill in the snow both ways to build character because what doesn't kill me makes me stronger, but if it kills you well fuck you because since the 1980's we've been taught to look out for Number One?

Maybe we've become so flippant to the revered "five second rule" (which, it should be noted, has been also been disproven) that this is a logical, if more Darwinian, extreme?

Maybe because it's not "macho"? I mean, the US has funded OHSA for decades to promote PPE such as gloves, goggles, and other gear for hazardous work, and yet people still risk injury all the time around the home and even on the job. Shoot, just look in the clearcoating threads around here! Laziness and entropy are even harder to overcome when you don't want to be doing something in the first place.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there are racist undertones, however unconscious and unadmitted. Asian countries are the model of mask wearing. And for too many Americans, Asia = The Enemy in the last 70+ years for various reasons (Japan 1940's; Vietnam 60-70's; China 2010+; etc). Middle eastern countries also favor masks as part of traditional attire and we know how America loves any mideastern country that isn't Saudi Arabia.

And thus all of the above, are bullshit. A mask isn't a statement, it's a tool! Wear it for its intended purpose. Be a good citizen for yourself, those you love, and your neighbors.

#17429 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Are we just assholes?

tor (resized).pngtor (resized).png
#17430 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Any interviews with people like this AFTER the fact, if they survive? That would be interesting.

I'd love to see a documentary of his treatment at the Rehoboth Medical Center. Hey Netflix!

#17431 3 years ago

I'm not sure if anyone on here mails stuff out a lot (I certainly do), but the prices have skyrocketed since the pandemic started. I found this to be funny...and maybe a little too truthful.
Screenshot_20200729-105007~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200729-105007~2 (resized).png

#17432 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I'm not sure if anyone on here mails stuff out a lot (I certainly do), but the prices have skyrocketed since the pandemic started. I found this to be funny...and maybe a little too truthful.
[quoted image]

I still woulda sprung for the two-day. I want my shit now!

#17433 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

They run the gambit. Two examples:

Boris Johnson moderated his tone and became a lot more humble after his stint in the hospital with covid.

Bolsonaro is completely unapologetic. Lost cause.

#17434 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

something something bootstraps, determination, walking uphill in the snow both ways to build character because what doesn't kill me makes me stronger, but if it kills you well fuck you because since the 1980's we've been taught to look out for Number One?
Maybe we've become so flippant to the revered "five second rule" (which, it should be noted, has been also been disproven) that this is a logical, if more Darwinian, extreme?
Maybe because it's not "macho"? I mean, the US has funded OHSA for decades to promote PPE such as gloves, goggles, and other gear for hazardous work, and yet people still risk injury all the time around the home and even on the job. Shoot, just look in the clearcoating threads around here! Laziness and entropy are even harder to overcome when you don't want to be doing something in the first place.
I also wouldn't be surprised if there are racist undertones, however unconscious and unadmitted. Asian countries are the model of mask wearing. And for too many Americans, Asia = The Enemy in the last 70+ years for various reasons (Japan 1940's; Vietnam 60-70's; China 2010+; etc). Middle eastern countries also favor masks as part of traditional attire and we know how America loves any mideastern country that isn't Saudi Arabia.
And thus all of the above, are bullshit. A mask isn't a statement, it's a tool! Wear it for its intended purpose. Be a good citizen for yourself, those you love, and your neighbors.

A big dumb bully in the schoolyard can easily make enemies out of friends, some of the the respectable friendly kids perhaps could be friends or not. It is up to the bully really isn't it. The kid getting bullied might be respectable and friendly, buuuut .... push s#it too far and there is always a chance one day they just go "Fu@k it!". Right or wrong the bully then cops the full unfriendly side never before seen, which could literally lead to the bully getting royally **cked up the ar*ehole by some gentle giant....

Maybe sometimes it is good to take a view from outside the box, perspective is everything.

One thing 2020 has emphasised for me... "freedom" means various different things to different people, absolutely. Maybe that is food for thought.

I also look back to things my parents taught me when I was young. One of those is; "It's good to be nice, and you should help if you are actually helping, but more often than not you should simply mind your own business."

I digress

#17436 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

So you are saying no mask for flu, also an airborne contagion? It seems as though you aren't denying effectiveness, but rather skirting an issue. Notice how I said "it seems"? I say that because I don't truly know your intentions. You however may be omniscient?
Look, I've read the CDC and Mayo Clinic reports since my last few posts. Seems as though they state some effectiveness, yet don't recommend unless you are in medical services. A bit contradictory I think, but again, what do I know? That's why I ask questions.

The consensus behind mask effectiveness isn't mixed, unless one wishes it to be. In your search for truth, perhaps someone who wants this to be up in the air may have blown smoke in your direction, leaving your opinion subject to the winds.

Don't be led astray by conspiracists or doubters. Unmasking a mask doubter/denier is pretty easy, just see if they hit the talking points:

1 - Flu argument - if they are so effective, then why don't we wear them for blah blah, generally these people just pretend like they don't understand risk assessment.
2 - Conspiracy theories - the mention obscure videos or theories as proof there is more to learn here
3 - They show photos of Fauci in public without a mask
4 - they "read science" and highlight conflicts, many times ignoring the dates on the "science articles" as knowledge evolves or treating all sources of information as equal "crazy demon sperm hydroxy cure lady = Fauci"
5 - The most convincing argument of all - Then how come you can smell farts?"

The only real question about masks is - why isn't the government making them faster, better, and distributing them everywhere for free? Because if there is one thing we do know about the masks - the higher the quality, the more effective they are.

#17437 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I’m confused. Your question has been answered multiple times yet you keep asking it.

If there was a novel flu virus that started spreading across the US then mask wearing, social distancing, etc would also be encouraged/mandated. The seasonal flu does not cause masking orders because it is:

1. Less contagious
2. Not a new virus so there is some baseline immunity
3. The flu does not have significant asymptomatic spread. When you get the flu you generally know it and stay home (i.e. self isolate).

Yes, if you wear a mask and wash your hands frequently during flu season you will be less likely to get the flu. That DOES NOT equate to a governmental order for the general public to mask, social distance and use hand sanitizer.

Ok, I can’t spell it out much clearer than that.

#17438 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Putting aside politics, what exactly is it about Americans that makes us so unconcerned about others? Are we just assholes?

Swami, are we just assholes?
All signs appear favorable.

I like the definition of courtship below it. The period during which the girl
decides whether or not she can do any better.

20200729_094656 (resized).jpg20200729_094656 (resized).jpg
#17439 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

[quoted image]

USPS raised its rates at the first of the year. Perfect timing.

#17440 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

My city of 3.2 million people reported 6 new cases of COVID yesterday.
You know why? Mandatory mask wearing indoors.
The message couldn’t be simpler yet Americans seem hell bent on being ignorant. “I have questions” and “I’m just saying” are hallmarks of trolls and science deniers.

You get my dv for that last sentence about what constitutes a science denier, it so overpowers the absolutely good news and content that comes before it.

Great news on all the rest though!.

#17441 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

You can’t truly answer this with putting politics aside.

Post of the day. It really is the elephant in the room (here) when talking about the American Covid-19 situation. Tuesday was the deadliest day in the US with over 1200 deaths.

#17442 3 years ago

Everyone can keep talking, debating, arguing, etc all they want but the bottom line is the US looks like a bunch of IDIOTS or Assholes right now on the world stage. Not wearing mask, not social distancing, etc because we live in the US and don't want to "give up our freedom" is killing thousands of people and will be killing thousands more.

The funny thing is our government loves it. Think of the Social Security money saved on every "old fart" that dies. I am one of those "old farts" so I can call us "old farts" but I don't want to hear any of you younger guys calling me an old fart. If just 100,000 Senior Citizens die off because of this and the average Senior Citizen is collecting just $1000 per month each year (using those numbers) Social Security will save ONE BILLION TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLAR in just one year.. One hell of a lot of money saved with just 100,000 Seniors dead. We might even be their already!

So in a way people not doing the right thing is actually playing into the hands of "big brother". Just something else to think about.

Also the longer this last will result in more "bailout packages" the government can pass with those packages containing all kinds of perks for the people who helped get them elected. As long as people keep "doing stupid" the government is laughing all the way to the bank! Then after it is over prices will skyrocket and taxes will do the same "to make up for money lost & spent" because of the Corona virus.

I am glad I'll likely be dead & gone before we see the full fallout from this mess!

#17443 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I’m confused. Your question has been answered multiple times yet you keep asking it.
If there was a novel flu virus that started spreading across the US then mask wearing, social distancing, etc would also be encouraged/mandated. The seasonal flu does not cause masking orders because it is:
1. Less contagious
2. Not a new virus so there is some baseline immunity
3. The flu does not have significant asymptomatic spread. When you get the flu you generally know it and stay home (i.e. self isolate).
Yes, if you wear a mask and wash your hands frequently during flu season you will be less likely to get the flu. That DOES NOT equate to a governmental order for the general public to mask, social distance and use hand sanitizer.
Ok, I can’t spell it out much clearer than that.

Government mandate, no. I suggested public service announcements or something similar. A public urging perhaps.

Look, I don't get a flu shot, but I wash my hands quite often and rarely touch my face. Id like to be up front about this. I completely believe this is a tremendous way to avoid illness. I also self distance anyone I see with what could be symptoms, so, again, completely agree.

What I'm thick about is why we think it's ok for the numbers below if a mask could lower them substantially. Again, I'm not looking for a mandate, just a change in norms/acceptance I guess.

Ok. Thanks for the replies. I am glad I could learn a few things and hopefully we'll all be well. Hopefully Covid shall soon pass and we can all get back to losing space in our houses from more machines!

The CDC estimated that from October 2019 - April 2020 there were:
40 million - 55 million flu illnesses
410,000 - 740,000 flu hospitalizations
24,000 - 62,000 flu related deaths

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

#17444 3 years ago

My wife has to go for a covid test today.

Shes a social worker and has to work in the community for parts of her job. She is very cautious, wears a mask and uses hand sanitizer.

This morning she had a headache and then out of the blue she feels queasy and vomits for no aparent reason. Normally nothing to worry about, but those are 2 of the warning signs, so before she can go back to work she needs to get tested. Her appointment is in about an hour.

Probably nothing, but this isn't the time to guess and gamble with everyone's health.

#17445 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

They run the gambit. Two examples:
Boris Johnson moderated his tone and became a lot more humble after his stint in the hospital with covid.
Bolsonaro is completely unapologetic. Lost cause.

Quoted from Oaken:

And gohmert insisted on telling his staff IN PERSON that he was infected. I’m gonna go with lost cause on that one.

#17446 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Shes a social worker and has to work in the community for parts of her job. She is very cautious, wears a mask and uses hand sanitizer.
This morning she had a headache and then out of the blue she feels queasy and vomits for no aparent reason. Normally nothing to worry about, but those are 2 of the warning signs, so before she can go back to work she needs to get tested. Her appointment is in about an hour.
Probably nothing, but this isn't the time to guess and gamble with everyone's health.

Best wishes. Certainly scary!

#17447 3 years ago

This morning she had a headache and then out of the blue she feels queasy and vomits for no aparent reason.

She is not pregnant is she?

#17448 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Government mandate, no. I suggested public service announcements or something similar. A public urging perhaps.
Look, I don't get a flu shot, but I wash my hands quite often and rarely touch my face. Id like to be up front about this. I completely believe this is a tremendous way to avoid illness. I also self distance anyone I see with what could be symptoms, so, again, completely agree.
What I'm thick about is why we think it's ok for the numbers below if a mask could lower them substantially. Again, I'm not looking for a mandate, just a change in norms/acceptance I guess.
Ok. Thanks for the replies. I am glad I could learn a few things and hopefully we'll all be well. Hopefully Covid shall soon pass and we can all get back to losing space in our houses from more machines!
The CDC estimated that from October 2019 - April 2020 there were:
40 million - 55 million flu illnesses
410,000 - 740,000 flu hospitalizations
24,000 - 62,000 flu related deaths
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

This is not the flu.

This is not the flu.

This is not the flu.

#17449 3 years ago

Not more then a hour later a get a text message from one of my best friends. Hes also going for a test. He and his wife were af a function on sunday, it was outdoors and both wore masks, but someone there just tested positive, so there going for tests and quarantining for 2 weeks to be safe.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 349 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/349?hl=mizzou0103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.