272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 343 of 576.
#17100 3 years ago

Deaths continue to rise. Over 1000 a day now.

Quoted from Oaken:

Give it 4 more weeks.

Or 3 weeks as it were.

#17101 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

These homemade rag masks do little. In theory they stop frontal blasts from sneezing and coughing.

Sneezing is not a symptom of Covid-19.

#17102 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Sneezing is not a symptom of Covid-19

What if you sneeze and fart at the same time?

#17103 3 years ago

For the first time in 19 days, Dallas County reported less than 1000 new cases today. Deaths are ticking up, but the catch-up was inevitable with the numbers between 1100-1250 a day the last 3 weeks. But fingers crossed we may be plateauing on the spread.

What’s it being attributed to locally? Mask compliance. Huh. I’ll have to alert the civil authorities that fabric masks don’t catch every single virion and are thus useless. I heard it from a reliable source.

#17104 3 years ago

Here you go:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/these-n95-masks-arent-likely-stop-coronavirus

The comments are the most entertaining.....High level discussions....

#17105 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Here's a rip snorter screaminr ...
[quoted image]
It's pretty funny really in a banter kinda way, maybe only if you're (South?) Australian?.... or, not Victorian/Bogan?
Everyone these days just Soft Fragile Snowflakes anyway and no sense of Actual humor anymore.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/hotel-in-sydneys-eastern-suburbs-called-out-for-racist-coronavirus-signs/45f87f67-d257-4df4-9444-eb7ca18361af?ref=BP_RSS_ninenews_5_sydney-hotel-called-out-for-racist-covid-19-signs_210720
Geez. They could have at least used an icon wearing a Mask, you know for even more outrage! Lol

Hey razor , needed a break from this thread , it's been a bit depressing with what's been happening here ( can't imagine what the US guys are going through ) I see nothing has changed here . That sign gave me a good laugh , it does look like one of our baristas or barbers . For a distraction I started - your favourite music videos thread , people have been posting some really cool clips .
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-favourite-music-videos

IMG_20200722_204755 (resized).jpgIMG_20200722_204755 (resized).jpgIMG_20200722_204852 (resized).jpgIMG_20200722_204852 (resized).jpg

#17106 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

... a 1000 square foot apartment ...
Look at this fucking palatial estate!!!

1,000 sq ft is palatial?
New yorker's really have a different perspective ......

#17107 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A box of N-95 3M masks cost 16 dollars.
I would like to see the scientific study of the 70% effective rate of a doubled t-shirt. Sounds like Horsesh%t.
These cheap thin blue "Surgical masks" are garbage too. The aerosolized breath just blasts out in a 360 degree pattern away from the mouth and nose. Then potentially infected air is breathed through the same leaks.
We might as well admit we are just jumping through regulatory hoops, going through the motions to appear to be doing the right thing. These home made rags are not a serious tool for fighting virus transmission.
A condom with a 30-70% effective rate is rejected as defective. The comfort from seeing one put on is illusory.

I agree with your comments, but I think there is some percentage reduction in transmission in most situations.
Stick some people in an enclosed area with poor circulation, and homemade masks are not going to do much good the longer they share the same air.
The masks can reduce the projection of the air coming out of your mouth, but unless you are recycling your own air - it's getting out into the room as fabric used for these masks can't contain the virus.

Honestly, I don't really know why people are resisting wearing one.
I wear a mask, maybe it helps a small percentage, it doesn't bother me, and there is no downside to wearing one for me.

One huge benefit you are missing about mask is that they provide a psychological benefit to the wearer.
In a situation like this pandemic where people feel they have no control over the situation, wearing a mask gives them back that feeling of control and safety.
Regardless of how effective or non-effective they are, the psychological benefit is just as important.

#17108 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

In a situation like this pandemic where people feel they have no control over the situation, wearing a mask gives them back that feeling of control and safety. Regardless of how effective or non-effective they are, the psychological benefit is just as important.

Very true, but the psychological benefit can actually become a detriment if people falsely assume that they are invincible when wearing a mask. Even with a mask, you should still adhere to proper distancing protocols whenever possible.

#17109 3 years ago

Texas. Exhibiting the classic lag in rise in cases, rise in hospitalization, rise in deaths:

88B5CEDB-EA55-4F08-8DD6-3590A7C514B1.png88B5CEDB-EA55-4F08-8DD6-3590A7C514B1.pngFE6D57CE-8369-4EC6-88CC-07E71B820626.pngFE6D57CE-8369-4EC6-88CC-07E71B820626.pngE1E105D2-C02A-4B04-8199-EE88DA04390B.pngE1E105D2-C02A-4B04-8199-EE88DA04390B.png
#17110 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Damn - that's a lot of apartment for $2750. Can they just put the price back to $3800 in twelve months or are you somehow protected from that?

1000 square feet a lot of apartment? For $2750?!! Only in NYC.

#17111 3 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I feel what's changing especially in more tech friendly areas is that the idea of working from home will become the norm, or at a minimum a few times a week. This in turn means that living in the burbs or "far from work" won't matter anymore. Likewise other factors like self driving cars along with people realizing that being allowed to work from home means you can setup a home office which means lot of new tax deductions, etc, also makes homes a more attractive proposition even if they are further away from typical work areas. Result is home prices just keep going up.
Retail space on the other hand will be a bloodbath. I've always argued we have far too much retail space, but I figure those will get slowly converted over time to either pure housing, mixed housing/retail, or shipping depots for the big boys like Amazon.

You can write off the small percentage of square footage used for the home office but it is miniscule in the big picture. It also increases your odds of IRS audit exponentially. I’ve worked from a home as a field based account manager for years and have never tried to use this write off based on these factors and the advice of several tax experts.

#17112 3 years ago

1,000 sq ft is palatial?
New yorker's really have a different perspective ......

Well as much as I'd love a charming Baltimore style row house here I don't have $8 million laying around

#17114 3 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Correct me if i am wrong but is there any Vaccine for any of the Covids? We are at Covid 19 so i am guessing this is all from Sars? and if that is correct then seriously do people really think they can come up with a Vaccine. If they do i smell bullshit and please correct me if i am wrong i have just been trying to get my head around it for a while.

I have been a believer that a vaccine (either this one, Moderna's Pfizers, or J & J's) will work and be ready as soon as November/December or Q1 2021. These will likely require boosters annually like the flu shots but I think they are closer than many realize.

This is why I dislike the "we're all going to get this so lets get out there and get it over with " herd immunity commentary & advocacy so much. That just strikes me as excuses to flaunt recommended precautions while ignoring science and rapid developments on the vaccine and treatment fronts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/20/oxford-universitys-coronavirus-vaccine-shows-positive-immune-response-in-an-early-trial.html

#17115 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I have been a believer that a vaccine (either this one, Moderna's Pfizers, or J & J's) will work and be ready as soon as November/December or Q1 2021. These will likely require boosters annually like the flu shots but I think they are closer than many realize.
This is why I dislike the "we're all going to get this so lets get out there and get it over with " herd immunity commentary & advocacy so much. That just strikes me as excuses to flaunt recommended precautions while ignoring science and rapid developments on the vaccine and treatment fronts.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/20/oxford-universitys-coronavirus-vaccine-shows-positive-immune-response-in-an-early-trial.html

The vaccines sound promising especially the T-Cell one. The heard immunity theory is showing not to be true with Covid19 since its being discovered that antibodies that develop in the systems of COVID-19 survivors may not be the long term protection from the virus that some hoped it would be. For example Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for COVID-19 a 3rd time.

#17116 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Texas. Exhibiting the classic lag in rise in cases, rise in hospitalization, rise in deaths:[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I just can’t wrap my head around how someone can look at those graphs and decide masks don’t work. Clearly you have a rise in cases after Memorial Day (which is also right about the time the Texas Governor pushed into phase two of reopening despite not meeting the criteria) and then you can see the effect of the masking order as the cases are now starting to plateau.

It’s there in black and white people.

#17118 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well as much as I'd love a charming Baltimore style row house here I don't have $8 million laying around

Jeez. Around here, $1500.00 will get you a house with a driveway and a garage. And room for all of your pinball machines

What I want to know is this: For that kind of rent, what floor/flight will you be living on (what kind of view, you know) and do you get an elevator ?

#17119 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I just can’t wrap my head around how someone can look at those graphs and decide masks don’t work. Clearly you have a rise in cases after Memorial Day (which is also right about the time the Texas Governor pushed into phase two of reopening despite not meeting the criteria) and then you can see the effect of the masking order as the cases are now starting to plateau.
It’s there in black and white people.

It seems obvious to people using logic, but those that want to not believe will find excuses. The easiest is just to say that the data feeding those graphs is being rigged. It's depressing watching this unfold and our response as "civilized" humans.

#17120 3 years ago

The reason we have so many cases is because we are testing more. When you test more you are going to have more cases. Everybody knows that. If we quit testing we would not have so many cases. We are looking at not testing so much because testing costs so much money. So because we are testing so much we are having all of these news cases. If we quit testing we would not have all of these new cases.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 9.47.39 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-22 at 9.47.39 AM (resized).png

And while we have all of these new cases because we are testing so much, the death rates is going down. Just one glance at this chart and you can see deaths are going down.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 9.48.01 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-22 at 9.48.01 AM (resized).png

#17121 3 years ago

Only difference now, is we know the change of data flow could be subject to some scrubbing lower with an election.
Florida independent info sites are questioning feeds now, as flat numbers aren't matching words from direct hospital communication

#17122 3 years ago

1,000 sq ft is palatial?

My whole 3-bed, 2-bath detached house is only 1,200 sq/ft. 25' x 160' lot. City livin'!

#17123 3 years ago

With safely opening schools being a question, here’s well researched and presented paper out of Harvard and should give everyone who is sending their kids back to school an idea around what they should be requesting from their school district to reduce risk of getting COVID.

HEALTHY CLASSROOMS
- Wear masks
- Wash hands frequently
- Maximize physical distancing to protect individuals
- Maximize group distancing to slow transmission chains
- Disinfect objects between users

HEALTHY BUILDINGS
- Increase outdoor air ventilation
- Filter indoor air
- Supplement with portable air cleaners
- Verify ventilation and filtration performance
- Consider advanced air quality techniques
- Use plexiglass as physical barrier
- Install no-contact infrastructure
- Keep surfaces clean
- Focus on bathroom hygiene

HEALTHY POLICIES
- Establish and reinforce a culture of health, safety, and shared responsibility
- Form a COVID-19 response team and plan
- Prioritize staying home when sick
- Promote viral testing and antibody testing

HEALTHY SCHEDULES
- Manage transition times and locations
- Make lunchtime safer
- Rethink transportation
- Modify attendance

HEALTHY ACTIVITIES
- Provide recess
- Modify physical education
- Reimagine music and theater classes
- Continue sports with enhanced controls
- Add structure to free time

https://schools.forhealth.org/risk-reduction-strategies-for-reopening-schools/

#17124 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Just one glance at this chart and you can see deaths are going down.

Am I missing something? That chart clearly shows that death rates are on the rise again.

#17125 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Am I missing something? That chart clearly shows that death rates are on the rise again.

He’s sarcastically quoting someone in a position of authority.

#17126 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The reason we have so many cases is because we are testing more. When you test more you are going to have more cases. Everybody knows that. If we quit testing we would not have so many cases. We are looking at not testing so much because testing costs so much money. So because we are testing so much we are having all of these news cases. If we quit testing we would not have all or these new cases.
[quoted image]
And while we have all of these new cases because we are testing so much, the death rates is going down. Just one glance at this chart and you can see deaths are going down.
[quoted image]

We can't all live in Kansas!

#17127 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Ah. In that case, I withdraw my thumbs down and give the post a thumbs up!

#17128 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Jeez. Around here, $1500.00 will get you a house with a driveway and a garage. And room for all of your pinball machines
What I want to know is this: For that kind of rent, what floor/flight will you be living on (what kind of view, you know) and do you get an elevator ?

That’s an even more
Awesome part. Building is 100 year old tenement just like my current one (120 years old).

But it’s second floor so only
One flight of stairs. AND my downstairs neighbor is a frame shop so for once in my life I can plop my sweet vintage advents speaker on the floor without bothering anybody. Everything about this place is awesome
I’m so fucking psyched.

View is nice too more old buildings across the street and windows in front and back do plenty of daylight and nice view of 9th Avenue and the sky.

They gave us the keys early.
F8451F50-786B-4385-A5B3-DFFC5D541CDD (resized).jpegF8451F50-786B-4385-A5B3-DFFC5D541CDD (resized).jpeg

#17129 3 years ago

"The Party Bros" trying to give out free masks at Huntington Beach. They're met with more resistance than not.

#17130 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

AND my downstairs neighbor is a frame shop so for once in my life I can plop my sweet vintage advents speaker on the floor without bothering anybody.

Say no more. I used to live in an apartment. One can't put a price on the kind of neighbor you describe.

#17131 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

We can't all live in Kansas!

Coming from you makes it special

#17132 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s an even more
Awesome part. Building is 100 year old tenement just like my current one (120 years old).
One flight of stairs. AND my downstairs neighbor is a frame shop so for once in my life I can plop my sweet vintage advents speaker on the floor without bothering anybody. Everything about this place is awesome
I’m so fucking psyched.
View is nice too more old buildings across the street and windows in front and back do plenty of daylight and nice view of 9th Avenue and the sky.
[quoted image]

There is so much about city folk I will never understand, but if you’re happy, I’m happy.

Hello suburbia my old friend.

#17133 3 years ago

Congrats Levi!
Let neighbor s aware you rip a guitar
Cheers!

#17134 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s an even more
I’m so fucking psyched.
[quoted image]

That's cool dude. After this shitburger of a year I'm happy to see a regular person getting a bit of an upgrade in their life.

#17135 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

In our county, we have until July 15 to decide between two school options. Once we decide, we're locked in for the first semester.
1. Two days of in-person learning with like 11 spread out students per classroom. Two days of unsupervised distance learning. One day of what I think amounts to the schools scrambling to figure out what they need to change on the fly.
2. Four days of distance learning, with about 70% of it "supervised". Of course, that just means a teacher is on the other end of the internet link. You still have to have an adult in the house. Oh, and that one day of scrambling as well.

Now, one week after parents submitted their decisions, the schools have decided to eliminate the in-person option and go 100% virtual. While I think it helps overall, it really sucks for working parents who have been trying to make plans.

https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2020/07/loudoun-county-public-schools-start-update/

#17136 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I was going to suggest asking him to count down from 100 by 7 just to be sure.

#17137 3 years ago

Even before covid I had trouble knowing what day it was. Now? Forget it.

I question where am I daily as well.

Quoted from mcluvin:

I was going to suggest asking him to count down from 100 by 7 just to be sure.

#17138 3 years ago

Starting this Saturday, you must wear a mask when in indoor public places in Minnesota.

#17139 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Now, one week after parents submitted their decisions, the schools have decided to eliminate the in-person option and go 100% virtual. While I think it helps overall, it really sucks for working parents who have been trying to make plans.
https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2020/07/loudoun-county-public-schools-start-update/

I don't know how parents who need to work are going to handle this. Without school in session, you need a baby sitter and my understanding is that daycare and home baby sitters are hard to find. No school, no daycare, then no way to go to work.

The Senate is finally starting to look at how more funding is going to come around.

They are looking at cutting the $600.00 per week enhanced unemployment benefit to $100.00 per week. With 30 million out of work, a lot of people are going to get hurt. And I am guessing that the state unemployment funds are getting a little thin, too.

So, what happens if an employer calls you back to work, school does not restart (my town is going virtual ), and you cannot find a baby sitter. If you turn down a callback do you get kicked off of unemployment like what used to happen before the virus?

#17140 3 years ago

We have a new number. The Govt. has raised the 140,000 number of people who will die up 220,000 dead by November 1.

And a change of narrative:

" Trump warns U.S. coronavirus outbreak will probably ‘get worse before it gets better".

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/21/trump-warns-us-coronavirus-outbreak-will-probably-get-worse-before-it-gets-better.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.apple.UIKit.activity.Mail

" Trump said Tuesday that state leaders across the U.S. are working “very, very hard,” adding the state of Florida “is in a big tough position."

The above statement qualifies for the "No Shit" award. Sorry Florida.

" He reiterated his claim that the virus would “disappear,” something public health officials and infectious disease experts dispute. Experts, including at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, have warned cases and deaths could rise this fall.

“The virus will disappear. It will disappear,” Trump said."

===================================================================

" Dr. Anthony Fauci warns the coronavirus won’t ever be eradicated."

" U.S. health officials do not see “an end in sight” to the pandemic. "

" Fauci’s comments are at odds with President Donald Trump, who reiterated his claim Tuesday evening that the virus would disappear. The president’s remark comes amid warnings from experts, including at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, that Covid-19 cases and deaths could rise this fall."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/22/dr-anthony-fauci-warns-the-coronavirus-wont-ever-be-totally-eradicated.html

#17141 3 years ago

Of course this would have to include shares trading reports, as well as the usual hopeful yet vague statments lol

#17142 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I just found this data on Fairfax county. It is pretty close to 50%-50% (online full-time vs 2 days at school) if you disregard the "did not respond" students, but it results in about 60% attending in school class two days a week.

I would assume they will have half of the 60% at school on different days from the other half of the 60% to allow for social distancing.

https://www.fcps.edu/index.php/enroll2020

Responses to Enrollment Form
Students
As of July 15 at 11:59 p.m., responses for 189,000 students:

In-person two days a week: 112,712 (60%) (includes 31,289 who did not respond and by default were given the in-person option).
Online: 76,288 (40%)

#17143 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't know how parents who need to work are going to handle this.

The only scalable solution I can think of is to group up with like minded parents. If employers are willing to work with people to do a 4 day work week, 5 families could each host school one day per week.

I'm thankful that my wife is able to care for my son while I'm working because it's a terrible situation otherwise.

#17144 3 years ago

A Yale professor put together a quickie Immunology 101 Tutorial in case people are curious.

https://twitter.com/VirusesImmunity/status/1285944893085491204?s=20

#17146 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

AND my downstairs neighbor is a frame shop so for once in my life I can plop my sweet vintage advents speaker on the floor without bothering anybody. I’m so fucking psyched.

Off-topic, but you reminded me of my favorite living situation. In the early 90’s, I rented a room from a photographer who had rented a small office building right in the heart of downtown Atlanta. He did mostly erotic photography there in a big open area. I wasn’t allowed back there during the shoots, but sometimes he’d leave the proofs lying around. Upstairs was storage for the landlord’s 20-something vintage motorcycles. It was about a block from The Masquerade, before that was moved to Underground Atlanta. I miss urban living.

#17147 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't know how parents who need to work are going to handle this. Without school in session, you need a baby sitter and my understanding is that daycare and home baby sitters are hard to find.

All parents in the town are in the same boat. Maybe your neighbor is staying home with their kid for virtual school, so give them a few bucks to watch your kid too. Maybe your staying home with your kid, so take in your neighbors kid for virtual school, and let them supplement you.

Seems smart since just a few kids together and always the same kids, minimizes the viral risk.

#17148 3 years ago

Cheap retail space and locations selling off their pins (unfortunately) is the perfect formula for a private pinball club in every zip code.

A few local collectors, social distance, masks on, picnic table and BYOB out back, no coins needed. Lets start with 31328!

pinballbillhughes_t653 (resized).jpgpinballbillhughes_t653 (resized).jpg

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 343 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/343?hl=utesichiban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.