272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 341 of 576.
#17002 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200720-010636~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200720-010636~2 (resized).png
#17003 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

My issue is with current mask-shaming, a group / gang mentality that uses excessive peer pressure to enforce a creed among strangers, giving the one shaming a sense of power and superiority

Damn right. If your actions are putting the lives of multiple other people at risk, then you should be told about it. I haven’t called out anyone but friends and family, and since a mask is mandatory here I haven’t seen anyone without a mask on. If I’m in a store it’s the job of employees to inform customers that don’t wear a mask, so I don’t Feel the need to confront people.

I look at it like this. You’d never let someone that is impaired behind the wheel, right? Well it’s the same here. Should an infected person go out without a mask? How do you know if you’re infected when most show no signs of symptoms? Why not err of the side of caution for now?

Quoted from phil-lee:

Please describe a "Case".

There’s no way to sugar coat this information. Canada has 1/10th the population of the states, so if our numbers were close to the USA we’d be at 6500 new “cases” But we’re not. Because were wearing masks. The numbers don’t lie. It works and saves lives.

Now go tell all your friends to not forget their mask. You might just save a life

#17004 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A couple of Months ago the North and West was inundated with red. Before that Oregon and Washington. It is now running its course through the South.

You think NY got their numbers down by letting it run its coarse?? My friends and family that live in NY would strongly disagree.

#17006 3 years ago

Can’t believe something so simple is causing such problems .The fact that people are shaming people wearing masks tells you everything you need to know about the current USA. SAD SAD SAD!!! Be safe all !!!Better dats ahead.

#17007 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Remember too many uncomfortable Studies done not too long ago, remember the one that a majority of cases were transmitted by those/to those who stayed at home?

1. Results not borne out upon further study. Majority? Please.

Quoted from phil-lee:

Forced isolation has minimal effect.

2. Social distancing has huge impact

Quoted from phil-lee:

The Downvote Brigade can have all the fun they obviously love, Super Karens in action.

3. You are using it wrong.

#17008 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Beyond the powers of mere mortals without resorting to Draconian measures which we have proven are more destructive to our Economy, or health and well being and long term survival than this coronavirus.

Like China where there are no real elections and the government controls everything without fear of being voted out.

#17009 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Canada has 1/10th the population of the states, so if our numbers were close to the USA we’d be at 6500 new “cases” But we’re not. Because were wearing masks. The numbers don’t lie. It works and saves lives.

There is a fundamental difference between Americans and Canadians - we as a society believe in law and order and being good citizens. All you need to do is look at our folk heroes - Americans glorify the “Wild West” while our biggest heroes were the RCMP.

Sure we have a few nut jobs who don’t believe in masks due to the cultural transfers from the US but the vast majority of Canadians have a basic belief in following rules. Even our populist conservative premier in Ontario is following the advice of medical advisors.

It makes me so sad to see what’s happening to the US. All you have to do is wear a mask.

#17010 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

There is a fundamental difference between Americans and Canadians - we as a society believe in law and order and being good citizens. All you need to do is look at our folk heroes - Americans glorify the “Wild West” while our biggest heroes were the RCMP.
Sure we have a few nut jobs who don’t believe in masks due to the cultural transfers from the US but the vast majority of Canadians have a basic belief in following rules. Even our populist conservative premier in Ontario is following the advice of medical advisors.
It makes me so sad to see what’s happening to the US. All you have to do is wear a mask.

yep..if Dudley do-right would have been given a bigger segment of time on the Bullwinkle show, things would have turned out much different in the US..

#17011 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Remember too many uncomfortable Studies done not too long ago, remember the one that a majority of cases were transmitted by those/to those who stayed at home?

I don’t remember this one, can you provide more details? Seems counterintuitive that you’d increase your odds of getting a virus by minimizing contact with others.

Quoted from phil-lee:

My issue is with current mask-shaming, a group / gang mentality that uses excessive peer pressure to enforce a creed among strangers, giving the one shaming a sense of power and superiority. This is an ancient form of group-think that creates Karens. It's really no one else business.

How do you feel about “no shirt/no shoes/no service” policies? Is that anyone else's business? Or are you strictly clothing optional as well to avoid all risk of “excessive peer pressure”?

#17012 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Tabloid clickbait. Everyone that crashes their car comes up with some excuse.
Factory/construction/medical workers in all sorts of jobs have been using masks forever and fainting from it is not a thing.

Actually the article is available nationwide, so pick your "news" outlet of choice if you don't like that one. With the number of people who can't figure out how to properly wear a mask, I could see accidents caused by obstructed vision by improper mask use.

#17013 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'm not even sure what to think at this point. Virginia has a mask mandate, and we have for quite a while now. Everywhere I go, people are wearing masks. Admittedly, I'm not going very many places, nor very often. I'm also in northern Virginia, so maybe people take it more seriously than rural areas of the state.

We keep hearing Florida, Texas, Arizona, ... Sure, they do have a higher case/capita than Virginia, but it's not as dramatic as you'd think at less than 2x. We have more deaths/capita than Florida and Texas.

Ohio is the next Florida? Virginia has more way more active cases, more cases/capita, though not as many deaths/capita.

I'm going to continue to distance and wear a mask because I have to believe it helps, and it certainly isn't anything more than a minor inconvenience. I'm just not seeing that it has changed our trajectory as much as I would expect. Am I missing something?

#17014 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I'm not even sure what to think at this point. Virginia has a mask mandate, and we have for quite a while now. Everywhere I go, people are wearing masks. Admittedly, I'm not going very many places, nor very often. I'm also in northern Virginia, so maybe people take it more seriously than rural areas of the state.

That's the exact opposite of what I see here in SC. I haven't kept exact numbers but I feel like I see about 20% of people here in SC with masks on. It's really disappointing. Our governor won't require them.

#17015 3 years ago

My wife and I are really struggling with what to do with our kids this fall.

school-meme (resized).jpgschool-meme (resized).jpg

#17016 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

You think NY got their numbers down by letting it run its coarse?? My friends and family that live in NY would strongly disagree.

It was hard work. Determination. Following science. And GENERALLY (sorry Ohio guys / haters) good decisions made by our leadership.

Model for success that half the country is completely ignoring due to politics. Shameful.

#17017 3 years ago

No one can out florida Florida. It is an exercise in futility.

#17018 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Americans glorify the “Wild West” while our biggest heroes were the RCMP.

During the "Wild West" films, America cheered for the good guys. It was the good guys conquering the bad guys. That all changed in 1967 when the movie Bonnie and Clyde hit the movie screens, at which time we stared rooting for the bad guys.

#17019 3 years ago

Hadn't seen much on covid in India recently, and it still seems to me like they're uniquely situated to have a terrible time controlling it. Sadly appears to be the case, 40k new diagnoses yesterday and they've now topped 1 million total cases, joining Brazil and the US atop the leaderboards.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/18/asia/india-coronavirus-one-million-data-intl-hnk/index.html

#17020 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Hadn't seen much on covid in India recently, and it still seems to me like they're uniquely situated to have a terrible time controlling it. Sadly appears to be the case, 40k new diagnoses yesterday and they've now topped 1 million total cases, joining Brazil and the US atop the leaderboards.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/18/asia/india-coronavirus-one-million-data-intl-hnk/index.html

It’s all very grim. Back in the AIDS days the lgbt community called the times / San Fran chronicle obits “the gay sports pages.”

In some places, the obits are now the Covid Sports Pages.

#17021 3 years ago

“Don’t bother with masks we are all going to catch it anyway”

Aka

“Don’t bother with the tourniquet, the bleeding will stop eventually”

#17022 3 years ago

This is good news and pretty significant for those trying to avoid a ventilator.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53467022

#17024 3 years ago

With all of the flooding going on in China, and yes, Wuhan, too, will this wash the virus away? Or will it be spread around easier?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/19/weather/china-flood-ppe-supply-chain/index.html

"Record China flooding impacts PPE supply chain to US"

" Residents of Wuhan, China stayed indoors last week not because of another lockdown posed by a reemerging coronavirus threat, but because the worst flooding in decades has threatened their city.

" The flooding is also impacting US supply chains for personal protective equipment, crucial to fighting the pandemic.

" Wuhan, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus, sits along the banks of the Yangtze River, where water levels reached their fourth-highest in recorded history.

#17025 3 years ago

And when the 3 Gorges dam breaks??

#17027 3 years ago

I have zero idea if this true. And I could probably spend 30 seconds googling it to find out.

But ain’t the beauty of memes?

Anyway, it sure seems like it would be true.

4D570CCD-14E2-4D73-A1BA-77059E1F465F (resized).jpeg4D570CCD-14E2-4D73-A1BA-77059E1F465F (resized).jpeg

#17030 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200720-134252~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200720-134252~2 (resized).png
#17032 3 years ago

It's sad the one of our local barcade owners has to post things like this:

"You guys realize masks are the only thing helping us small business owners hang on here right? Many of us that own businesses only have one hope, that people wear masks and keep the spread of the virus down. We could lose everything we've worked so hard to build, and all we're asking is that our fellow citizens wear masks."

#17033 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Is it? Maybe people -should- feel ashamed for not wearing a mask? It's a simple thing.

I agree, they should absolutely feel ashamed for not wearing a mask. They are literally not giving a shit about their community and the people near them. This isn't a seatbelt type thing, you aren't just protecting yourself, you are protecting everyone around you. It should not be optional. These people should be ashamed and should be fined, the fines should increase greatly with repeated incidences.

I'm tired of the no mask wearing jerks here in the states. It's a damn mask, it's such a simple and easy thing. I'm tired of SIP and close downs and frankly I believe the only way we get back to a semblance of normal is wearing masks.

If wearing masks means you can still socialize safely or that we can have some things open like barber shops, then why wouldn't you wear one? It seems like the same people bitching about closing the economy are often the same ones refusing to wear masks.

#17035 3 years ago

Hand Sanitizers:

FDA has expanded the list to 59 products containing methanol Seems like the danger list is growing by the day.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-updates-hand-sanitizers-methanol

#17036 3 years ago

With a number of demonstrated low cost, relatively effective treatments now clearly shown to work, and readily available, what is the reason so many people are still dying in some parts?.

There are countries with much lower death rates. Seems to vary a bit depending which country, and what treatment (if any) is given.

#17037 3 years ago

In order for masks to be effective everyone should wear a N-95 or higher rated 3M mask.
These homemade rag masks do little. In theory they stop frontal blasts from sneezing and coughing.
Unfortunately the air pressure blows out the sides, top and bottom. They do not even pretend to filter out 1-3 micron viruses (the N-95 barely meets this requirement.
So yes with a rag on your face or a loosely-fitting ear strung mask you stop frontal assaults of aerosolized sputum, instead blasting it out from the sides.
I know nobody wants this mess, I don't either. Lets get real, are we just jumping through hoops to meet bogus requirements or are we trying to avoid an infection?
From what I understand the survival rate from covid is 99.2 %. Correct me if I am wrong.

#17038 3 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

And when the 3 Gorges dam breaks??

If that dam collapses, China’s coronavirus problems will look like a walk in the park.

#17039 3 years ago

It is going to be a very stressful school year. Death waivers are not a very reassuring way to start off.

#17040 3 years ago

I’m just curious what the anti-mask folks think about Trump’s latest pro-mask tweet? Does this somehow change your mind?

#17041 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

From what I understand the survival rate from covid is 99.2 %.

The survival rate is very good, BUT...I have heard many tales of people that are still alive, and very sick even 90 days later.

This virus is weird, and I am not taking any chances.

Some people do not even know they have it. Some people had it and are now worried about long term affects.

I am 100% fine with staying away from everyone for a few more months. I do not know what this virus would do to me, and I do not want to find out.

I wish everyone here the best.

#17042 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200720-154515~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200720-154515~2 (resized).png
#17043 3 years ago

Our little hell hole made the news. Yay.
Infected plant worker ate at the restaurant four days in a row last week. Unfortunately our 20 year old friend is a waitress there and is now in self quarantine with her boyfriend and they're both feeling sick. They reopened the long term care home to visitors last week and I pray no one infected visited. Guess we'll see how the next two weeks go around here.

#17044 3 years ago

https://www.foxnews.com/health/fda-75-toxic-hand-sanitizers-list

This list keeps on growing. I have never gotten on board with hand sanitizer, always was a soap and water person.

#17045 3 years ago

Here's a rip snorter screaminr ...

cq5dam.web.616.940 (resized).jpegcq5dam.web.616.940 (resized).jpeg

It's pretty funny really in a banter kinda way, maybe only if you're (South?) Australian?.... or, not Victorian/Bogan?

Everyone these days just Soft Fragile Snowflakes anyway and no sense of Actual humor anymore.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/hotel-in-sydneys-eastern-suburbs-called-out-for-racist-coronavirus-signs/45f87f67-d257-4df4-9444-eb7ca18361af?ref=BP_RSS_ninenews_5_sydney-hotel-called-out-for-racist-covid-19-signs_210720

Geez. They could have at least used an icon wearing a Mask, you know for even more outrage! Lol

#17046 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

From what I understand the survival rate from covid is 99.2 %. Correct me if I am wrong.

Dead / #Cases * 100 = fatality %
(143,792 / 3,960,583) x 100 = 3.63%

These are only USA figures, which are actually lower/better than the global death percentage.

#17047 3 years ago

Correct me if i am wrong but is there any Vaccine for any of the Covids? We are at Covid 19 so i am guessing this is all from Sars? and if that is correct then seriously do people really think they can come up with a Vaccine. If they do i smell bullshit and please correct me if i am wrong i have just been trying to get my head around it for a while.

#17048 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Hand Sanitizers:

FDA has expanded the list to 59 products containing methanol Seems like the danger list is growing by the day.

Ok gang, I've resisted posting something like this for fear of being called out as a charlatan or sleazy salesman trying to capitalize on the pandemic, but if you or someone you know absolutely needs some sanitizer (with these new warnings) PM me. Our company is reselling some sanitizer made by a local Houston distillery. It is 70% grain alcohol gel, no methanol. The smallest size is gallon, we can ship anywhere and that is all I will post here about it so as not to make this a sales thread. PM for further details.

#17049 3 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I’m just curious what the anti-mask folks think about Trump’s latest pro-mask tweet? Does this somehow change your mind?

They are waiting for the talking heads at Fox to tell them what their opinion is. I hear "body double gone rogue" is a strong candidate.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 341 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/341 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.