272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 331 of 576.
#16500 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

I think your math is wrong...3.1 million reported cases in US....135K deaths. That’s just under .5% fatality rate. At 4.5 we should all be scared. The numbers of new cases are going up because there is so much more testing.

Uhhhh.....how are you doing math? 135k/3.1M = .0435 = 4.35%. And according to you, we should all therefore be rightfully scared.

And stop with the “numbers are only high because tests are high” crap. That’s been disproven repeatedly and nobody believes it. Do what you want, but stop vomiting disinformation.

#16501 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

I think your math is wrong...3.1 million reported cases in US....135K deaths. That’s just under .5% fatality rate.

According to my calculator, 4.5% of 3.1 million is 139500. Looks like the 4.5% is quite correct.

#16504 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

In summary, people were not taking appropriate steps to protect their financials in the face of economic calamity. Maskless even. And so it’s no surprise that their lifestyle caught a debilitating infection and while unfortunate is kind of deserved.

I’m teasing who-Dey a bit here, but my finer point is that it is easy for any of us to come off as heartless when we really are not. This whole thing is a very frustrating and disturbing situation.
A lot of folks in dire straits aren’t there because they were going to Cabo twice a year instead of paying down student loans. A lot of young families simply haven’t had the ability to live debt free whether they wanted to or not. The financial crisis a few years back coupled with the pandemic crisis has really put a crimp in savings and earnings power for millennials and younger. Eating ramen and dry beans can shave a few years off the mortgage, but won’t erase it. Sure, there are plenty of folks out there that live and spend beyond their means, but what good does it do anyone to scold them as they stand in the breadline?

Im not scolding anyone believe me because i have made tons of terrible financial decisions in my life, more than most people probably. Even with all the bad decisions that i have made though i came out fairly decent and that is mainly because i have never carried a lot of debt. I spend a lot on my hobbies but other than that i live a pretty modest lifestyle and the older i get the less i want so it gets easier and easier to save it seems like. I just know a lot of people that live way beyond their means and i just think its stupid, especially if they are older and should know better. I kinda give younger people a pass because being smart financially is something that people learn as they mature. The situation that we are in has even opened my eyes quite a bit and it has made me make some financial adjustments as well. I never thought something like this would ever happen.

Its a live and learn type thing. Those who learn will end up doing well and those that don’t will just be broke as hell all of their life.

#16505 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

This is what may happen if kids all go back to school... this is at a Summer camp where the virus quickly spread among the campers:
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/506564-missouri-summer-camp-reports-82-coronavirus-cases

One thing to keep in mind with this one is that it’s an overnight camp. We don’t know how it was spread. It was potentially in bunk houses without masks as the kids slept. It’s potentially closer to what the agriculture workers experience in bunk houses which have been super spreader situations.

#16506 3 years ago

Good article on the likely reasons death curve has been falling while cases rise. Pretty much summarizes the points we have been debating in this forum. Helpful for those not constantly keeping up with the every post.

Something there for pretty much everyone.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/why-covid-death-rate-down/613945/

#16507 3 years ago

New York was able to get their rate of infection under control. Other states can do the same, but it's not easy.

When officials and the public take things serious, it gets easier.

2020-07-10_9-14-21 (resized).png2020-07-10_9-14-21 (resized).png

#16508 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, we were cracking up watching people sitting in miles long lines waiting for hours to get tested. I can certainly think of better ways to spend my day.
And if you weren't infected before you got there, you just might be after they stick that q-tip up your nose.

Vincent Vega, " You see the size of that hand Q Tip?"

#16509 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

New York was able to get their rate of infection under control. Other states can do the same, but it's not easy.
When officials and the public take things serious, it gets easier.
[quoted image]

Unfortunately not many people are taking it serious in the U.S., especially the stupid ass younger people. They could care less from what i am seeing.

#16510 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Good article on the likely reasons death curve has been falling while cases rise. Pretty much summarizes the points we have been debating in this forum. Helpful for those not constantly keeping up with the every post.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/why-covid-death-rate-down/613945/

Yup, that a good read. Could be made a key post.

#16511 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

At 4.5 we should all be scared.

So now that everyone has helped you with the math part, are you scared or not?

#16512 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Yup, that a good read. Could be made a key post.

I think oaken duct tapes his ears to keep brains falling out of his head. Sorry Oaken I would Tonya harding your legs before debate class.

#16513 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

At least they brought up a point I mentioned earlier. That perhaps being summer, it is making it easier for some to fight the infection and not die from it. That makes sense to me. We'll find out when fall arrives.

#16515 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

So now that everyone has helped you with the math part, are you scared or not?

Perhaps a retreat into “it’s just the flu” territory is in order for pickle.

#16516 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Unfortunately not many people are taking it serious in the U.S., especially the stupid ass younger people. They could care less from what i am seeing.

How can we expect any young person to take this seriously when our leadership acts like it is nothing more than a zit that needs squeezed?

We have gone from "it's under control" when there were zero deaths to "we are in a good place" with 130,000 + deaths. And only wussies wear masks.

People see. People do.

#16517 3 years ago

Here comes the time lag.

We are a long way from zero deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 10.14.49 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-09 at 10.14.49 PM (resized).png

#16518 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

According to my calculator, 4.5% of 3.1 million is 139500. Looks like the 4.5% is quite correct.

The math does indeed yield a death rate of around 4.5%, but I don't think that number gives an accurate picture of how deadly the virus is. It completely ignores all the asymptomatic or mildly sick carriers that never got tested. My guess is that less than 25% of the people who were infected in our country actually got tested. This would put the true death rate closer to 1%, which is still nothing to sneeze at (no pun intended).

#16519 3 years ago

I already owe you $5 bucks .
Double or Nothing....
Disneyworld shuts down by Aug 5th!

#16520 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is insane that they are going through with this.

Yes it is. Makes me happy I live in a state where the governor at least has some common sense.

But they did reopen Downtown Disney yesterday to a long line of people.

"Reopen it, and people will come. Yes, people will most definitely come"

#16521 3 years ago

I am COVID negative! If you want to get tested without utilizing limited testing resources, you can get a free COVID antibody test without a nose swab, by donating blood through the American Red Cross. They have to test for it anyways, and you can get tested 100% guilt free while helping others by donating blood. Results come in through an app or an online profile in 7-10 days, but I got mine in 3 days.

blood (resized).jpegblood (resized).jpeg
#16522 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is insane that they are going through with this.

more like goofy

#16523 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I already owe you $5 bucks .
Double or Nothing....
Disneyworld shuts down by Aug 5th!

We've got another line on when do they start a motion to extend unemployment benefits. The odds on favorite is sometime between them cleaning up the mess that storm Fay will leave in it's wake, and one week left in July.

#16524 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

As bad as each other, at opposite ends of the spectrum, from what I've seen.
Propoganda both ends. Divisive, like politics. They are doing what they are meant to... sadly.
Both frequently dabble in bulls#it.

Considering this, it is good to have a look at other news sources now and then ...

Quoted from JimB:

Ok have at it. Discuss what’s wrong with this treatment:

Like this, which was not commented on or even debunked by pinside in more than 3 days?? . No DV no UV, no quotes, nothing, no comments. Like nobody could see it? . Seems the only thing wrong with the treatment is that it is not widely implimented yet, and that it is cheap and readily available. No money in it. Cured. "Get it swept under the carpet, Now!"

This treatment has "proved"? zero deaths in 4+ months, and fast full recoveries (even of elderly and cancer treatment patients). Only because of this treatment, Early!.

Why are people still dying? ... or is this doctor blatantly lying??

Perhaps the video is not available to all?

Slightly perplexing. I would urge anyone to take the time to watch all of it.

Also for reference there are testimonials from His covid patients out there, apparently.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/covid-patients-defend-dr-bartletts-silver-bullet-medicine-regimen/ar-BB16v52a

#16525 3 years ago

During my urban hike this morning, I saw a great home-made sign that I can really get behind.

"All Countries Matter"

#16526 3 years ago

There are 2 reasons we can’t just divide deaths by cases to come up with a mortality rate. First, it assumes that all the infected-but-not-dead will stay that way. Second, it ignores all the undiagnosed cases (as Gweem pointed out). What matters to me most is “If I catch this, what are the odds that I’ll have organ damage or be sick for months?” I’m not seeing anything that helps me understand those risks.

#16527 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We've got another line on when do they start a motion to extend unemployment benefits. The odds on favorite is sometime between them cleaning up the mess that storm Fay will leave in it's wake, and one week left in July.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/goodbye-extra-600-unemployed-workers-should-not-get-benefits-higher-than-their-old-wages-in-next-stimulus-bill-mnuchin-says-2020-07-09?mod=home-page

"Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Thursday that the Trump administration wants to cap enhanced unemployment benefits in the next coronavirus package to make sure workers do not get benefits amounting to more than their former wages."

“You can assume it will be no more than 100%, so, yes, we want to incent people to go back to work,” Mnuchin told the cable channel CNBC.
--------------------------------------------------------

This leaves me wondering how the airlines will be dealt with. The government help for the airlines runs out in October. Will the airlines get an extension? If there is no extension, then 1000s of airline workers are going to see hard times.

#16528 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Considering this, it is good to have a look at other news sources now and then ...

Like this, which was not commented on or even debunked by pinside in more than 3 days?? . No DV no UV, nothing, no comments. Like nobody could see it? . Seems the only thing wrong with the treatment is that it is not widely implimented yet, and that it is cheap and readily available. No money in it. Cured.
This treatment has "proved"? zero deaths in 4+ months, and fast full recoveries (even of elderly and cancer treatment patients). Only if treated early.

This was already put up and discussed sometime back.

#16529 3 years ago
47ula0 (resized).jpg47ula0 (resized).jpg
#16530 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

There are 2 reasons we can’t just divide deaths by cases to come up with a mortality rate. First, it assumes that all the infected-but-not-dead will stay that way. Second, it ignores all the undiagnosed cases (as Gweem pointed out). What matters to me most is “If I catch this, what are the odds that I’ll have organ damage or be sick for months?” I’m not seeing anything that helps me understand those risks.

Yeah, and we also don't know how many people have died from COVID complications that were never diagnosed or tested. So, in the end, there is a lot left out of the wash. We have the numbers we have. And if we really want to be technical, dividing by a number that includes the existing known cases is in error statistically. You are, by definition, counting existing people on ventilators and headed for death in the case total, but not the death total. We can move all over the place, but I can show you scarier numbers on dead for every way anyone wants to do math the other way.

I think we can all agree that COVID-19 causes more deaths than are comfortable to just live with, and our current guidance and response is lacking to contain this thing.

#16531 3 years ago

Hospitalization rates are a good measure of what is going on independent of testing.

#16532 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Good article. Pretty much mirrors what I’ve been reading, hearing and thinking.

#16533 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Like this, which was not commented on or even debunked by pinside in more than 3 days?? . No DV no UV, nothing, no comments. Like nobody could see it? . Seems the only thing wrong with the treatment is that it is not widely implimented yet, and that it is cheap and readily available. No money in it. Cured.
This treatment has "proved"? zero deaths in 4+ months, and fast full recoveries (even of elderly and cancer treatment patients). Only because of this treatment, Early!.

Also for reference there are testimonials from His covid patients out there, apparently.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/covid-patients-defend-dr-bartletts-silver-bullet-medicine-regimen/ar-BB16v52a

I’ve seen people linking this before. Inhaled steroids are widely available and while I can see how they physiologically could have a benefit, anyone who claims anything is a “silver bullet” against COVID is probably exaggerating any effect. Also this particular doctor has treated about 12 COVID patients as I recall, not a large enough sample to make any conclusions from. The hospital system where he works has made several statements regarding his claims and they are saying there’s no objective studies that show benefit which is true.

Personally I’d be interested to see an actual study done on inhaled steroids, I was able to find one that is currently being done in Queensland but results won’t be available until September.

As I’ve said before, if any treatment was a true “cure” we’d have heard of it by now, it wouldn’t be some doc in Odessa figuring it out while all the experts across the world flounder around for 6 months. Also, the idea of inhaled steroids having a benefit isn’t unique to this doc, I’ve seen other people in the literature saying this could have a benefit as well but it needs to be studied to find out.

Inhaled steroids should be looked at and may have a positive effect, the problem is you need to treat hundreds of patients to make sure the effect you are seeing isn’t just chance alone.

#16534 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This was already put up and discussed sometime back.

Obviously not very well, it would seem. Did anyone actually watch the whole interview?? . It answers some questions, from the horses mouth. Also raises more questions that some may avoid pondering. Video is being "anti" promoted, by the seems... is it a secret??

If you get symptoms, or a positive CV test .... I'd say, Ask Your Doctor!. Or, don't ??

... it's your choice, just might be life or death, based on your faith in mainstream media and "ex-sperts".

Why is it that authorities appear to be conducting fake science, again? ... did I miss that part as well?.

You can't feasibly vaccinate against covid. As demonstrated, you Can treat it for at least a "very high" full recovery rate.

His patients, 100% recovered, provide testimonials. Serious cases, some of them "high risk". It should be tested, and not with a "rigged to fail" trial.

Be careful of "Science" ... there is probably More fake science out there than real science these days. Too many alterior motives or vested interests. Reviewed or not.

I'm a lover of (actual) science. It is dissapointing though, to find it being made a mockery of so often, for things like ... money.

At the extreme bottom of the barrel we find things like flat earth jargon. It does not end there. A plethora of examples. Anyone familiar with Glyphosate?

I guess we will have to see if Australia pays any attention to what the other countries are suggesting... you know, the high infection rate countries with virtually no death rate. Plenty of ignorance going on. Go figure.

#16536 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

During my urban hike this morning, I saw a great home-made sign that I can really get behind.
"All Countries Matter"

Even the "shithole" countries?

#16537 3 years ago

We can only work with the numbers we have at the moment. Correcting the % error from pickle's post and maybe preventing him from distributing mis-information through his other channels is reasonable. The Atlantic story Oaken posted is a good explanation of why the numbers look like they do.

There are age/demography groups that do probably have a 4.5% overall mortality rate or worse. And the post-disease damage to survivors rates are TBD but we know that many people will have lasting problems.

The biggest and most dangerous (imo) lies right now are "over 99% of people will have zero problem with this" and "there is no way to control it, everyone is going to get it". These are being promoted right now as a way to force everyone to return to 'normal'.

And miss me with "we can't shut down everything forever" argument. No one has ever suggested that ever, not even one time.

#16538 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200710-113107~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200710-113107~2 (resized).png
#16539 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

"Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Thursday that the Trump administration wants to cap enhanced unemployment benefits in the next coronavirus package to make sure workers do not get benefits amounting to more than their former wages."

I kinda figured that would be the direction they are going. Sorta figured that the first time around too, but apparently they didn't have the time or resources to get it done. Or they just didn't figure it out.

I'm on the fence about when I'm ready to go back. But as long as I see most people driving with their windows up, hell no do I want to get in and out of their cars all day. Not that I'm that worried about catching it myself, but that seems like a great way to spread it.

My boss told me he even put up a sign asking people to open their windows and turn of their AC among other things, but nobody seems to do it or care. A car and it's ventilation system is a great place for the virus to dwell IMO. And I'm not going to be the one.

#16540 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Even the "shithole" countries?

Hey! ... stop calling me that!

Well, aren't we on the bottom? Lol

#16541 3 years ago

I will say one thing about the news sources that rhyme with box, they never undersell the good news, lol:

"Rach cannot be certain he was given the actual vaccine or a placebo saline solution but after a slight reaction from his second dose, he is convinced he is one of the very few people in the world vaccinated against COVID-19, the outlet said."

#16542 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My boss told me he even put up a sign asking people to open their windows and turn of their AC among other things, but nobody seems to do it or care. A car and it's ventilation system is a great place for the virus to dwell IMO. And I'm not going to be the one.

I wonder if he could tell customers to roll down the windows, turn air up to max (on fresh, not recirc), and drive around the block twice before he'll let them in. Seems like that'd get you a pretty decent air exchange. But I can imagine the Yelp reviews that would result from that policy.

#16543 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I will say one thing about the news sources that rhyme with box, they never undersell the good news, lol:
"Rach cannot be certain he was given the actual vaccine or a placebo saline solution but after a slight reaction from his second dose, he is convinced he is one of the very few people in the world vaccinated against COVID-19, the outlet said."

This another Hear-Say Fox News Clip. Really, ignore most click-bait stories on your smartphone.

#16545 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

This another Hear-Say Fox News Clip. Really, ignore most click-bait stories on your smartphone.

Honestly , this can be said of any "news outlet" . Even the Weather Channels Mike Siedel during a Hurricane pretending to be unable to keep his balance on 'grass' while two people causally walk by in the background.
They had no issue walking....

#16546 3 years ago
301AADE1-2635-4F20-A21E-EAB9752CC79E (resized).jpeg301AADE1-2635-4F20-A21E-EAB9752CC79E (resized).jpeg
#16547 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

I think your math is wrong...3.1 million reported cases in US....135K deaths. That’s just under .5% fatality rate. At 4.5 we should all be scared. The numbers of new cases are going up because there is so much more testing. But the overall number of deaths are not going up proportionately. I agree the spread needs to be slowed. The fact is we are all going to be exposed to this virus wether we like it or not. It sucks because we still know so little about this virus. Why some people have little symptoms and others are severely affected. So far no scientific studies have figured this virus out. There are reports of people having caught it more than once. So who really knows if you build up antibodies against this. We are all being manipulated. And the truth is we really don’t know how accurate the numbers being reported are. They keep changing how the deaths are counted towards Corona. Throw the media in this and things are skewed even further. It’s hard to find good facts. One thing is I WILL NOT live in fear of this. Do we need to take precautions....yes.
We just don’t have enough GOOD data still to know how bad a threat this really is.

We know that it kills about 4.5% of people who are tested positive with it, amongst millions worldwide that have tested. I would say that's a pretty strong indicator.

I'm sure there are many that have come untested, and others that died not knowing what it was as well, however.

Approximately 1 out if 20 isn't very good odds if you ask me...certainly if you are older or have health issues.

I spoke to a long-time nurse practitioner I know the other day that said "so far in our area, people over 70 getting coronavirus have been handed a death sentence."

Screenshot_20200710-130243~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200710-130243~2 (resized).png
#16548 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

... What matters to me most is “If I catch this, what are the odds that I’ll have organ damage or be sick for months?” I’m not seeing anything that helps me understand those risks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/331#post-5739158

I dunno, I'm just saying... to me it needs to be considered seriously, what this doctor is saying. It really is slightly startling the way this seems to be getting manipulated in the mainstream, naturally.

Listen to the guy, hear the whole lot out in his own words, and then criticise, please!. If there is any aspect of this that anyone sees as not making sense, Speak Up, I'd love to know more?

Maybe there will just be something in there to help understand risks?.

#16549 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I’ve seen people linking this before. Inhaled steroids are widely available and while I can see how they physiologically could have a benefit, anyone who claims anything is a “silver bullet” against COVID is probably exaggerating any effect. Also this particular doctor has treated about 12 COVID patients as I recall, not a large enough sample to make any conclusions from. The hospital system where he works has made several statements regarding his claims and they are saying there’s no objective studies that show benefit which is true.
Personally I’d be interested to see an actual study done on inhaled steroids, I was able to find one that is currently being done in Queensland but results won’t be available until September.
As I’ve said before, if any treatment was a true “cure” we’d have heard of it by now, it wouldn’t be some doc in Odessa figuring it out while all the experts across the world flounder around for 6 months. Also, the idea of inhaled steroids having a benefit isn’t unique to this doc, I’ve seen other people in the literature saying this could have a benefit as well but it needs to be studied to find out.
Inhaled steroids should be looked at and may have a positive effect, the problem is you need to treat hundreds of patients to make sure the effect you are seeing isn’t just chance alone.

The treatment seems to be effective in early stages. Yet it is going to be trialed on ICU patients? ... Why would that be?

Seems to me that there are alot of things being "fast tracked" out there, some things with much more serious potential to cause nasty outcomes, and more broadly. Also with less evidence of potential success. Wtf is with that?

Why Would we have heard of a "free cure" "by now"? .... wouldn't something like that be kept suppressed "at all costs"? ... you know

Ohh... hang on a minute ....

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 331 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/331?hl=mizzou0103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.