272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 326 of 576.
#16250 3 years ago

The divide started long before that... it has just become worse.

#16251 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

We are currently at war from within. A firewall of old legislators, judges, and a puppet president are rallying a minority of citizens to defy their own government (and reality itself) using weaponized media and intimidation to uphold a notion of America’s past which no longer exists today, nor existed in the way they are told to believe.
Back in the real “Great America Days”, our citizens would have gladly worn masks and banded together to kick COVID to the curb. But any issue right now is a potential wedge/lever for the administration to pull, because they are in free fall... and have nothing left to deliver except sow division and keep us distracted while rubber-stamping as many corrupt laws and biased judges as possible on their way out.
We’ll eventually fix the damage, but it’ll take generations. Assuming we have the time left to do it, that is.

Before you use a disparaging term you should understand what it means..
The redneck was simply a poor, working white who spent a lot of time in the sun. Field work produced a sunburn.
Rednecks didn't own anyone, they were usually sharecroppers or indentured servants for the rich.
You can keep the Hollywood revision. Rednecks are poor, hard working people of which I am proud to belong.

#16252 3 years ago

Now I know where they got the line "the bombs bursting in air".

#16253 3 years ago

Another public service announcement for your friends out west.

DSCN7021 (resized).JPGDSCN7021 (resized).JPG
#16254 3 years ago

There was a kid running around my neighborhood today with a union jack. I thought that was a pretty funny troll.

#16255 3 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

I truly truly don't get it guys.
Why is everything has to be about politics ?
When everyone is free and do whatever they wanna do this is what we call anarchy.
Amost every country in the world is taking this seriously and for most of the countries this confinement is behind us.
We barely have cases now and coast to coast we have like 20 deaths in 24 hours.
Why can't people look around to look at other countries and act to improve things.
Even if everyone is in denial you cannot fuck with nature.
How is it helping the economy if you can't travel in any countries or have any visitors from other countries ?
Look at it from every angles, politics, economy, freedom what is the point if you cannot do anything and are trap in this longer than anybody on earth.
Love you guys but man this is so bad publicity for your country and it's gonna cost. Do you think anyone on earth is looking forward for their trip to Florida or California next winter ?
Do what needs to be done for the greater good. You guys are a great Nation and you are not scare to wage war against any enemies, well for this war no ammo, guns or tanks are needed just protect each other.

This is what happens when proper education is abandoned for a couple generations.

#16256 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I'm kinda surprised to learn now some seem to still have the Schools closed?? Wtf

Our schools closed for March break (2nd week of March) and have been shut down ever since. We’ve also had to deal with 6 weeks of child care for the summer being cancelled. Back in December we arranged our vacations with family friends to watch each other’s kids for a couple weeks, and we used camps for a couple weeks. By May all of the camps were cancelled, one week of my wife’s vacation was cancelled, and our friends both had a week cancelled. Some of these weeks were forced vacation when the lockdown started in March and April, then made up by forcing you to work when you planned to be off in the summer. We have no family around and there’s very little child care in the city, and with new restrictions it’s costly and impractical. I was scheduled to back to work in July. It was a real panic for us, we literally had no one to watch our child for the summer. “Luckily” I found out in June our company is closing down, so now I’ll be home watching kids this summer, both mine and our friends.

Schools might reopen in September currently there’s 3 options it think. 1) back to school as normal. 2)30 kids in class, class is divided into two groups Of 15, half work from home one day then from school the next, alternating back and forth. 3) same as #2 but the kids alternate every week instead of every day.

So now I don’t even know if I will be able to look for full time work in the fall or If I’ll have to work some part time gig, to work around the school schedule.

#16258 3 years ago

Yep. Similar boat here. School district plan is to be open for fall, but to prepare to close individual schools “when the inevitable outbreak occurs”. (Their words in the PTA newsletter).

We are planning for my full time job this fall to continue as the principal and head taskmaster of Daddy School.

I think I have math, reading comprehension and gym class down, but man is art class and social studies gonna suffer.

#16259 3 years ago
B6241A93-4174-441F-84F3-586EE92F1784 (resized).jpegB6241A93-4174-441F-84F3-586EE92F1784 (resized).jpeg
#16260 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Our schools closed for March break (2nd week of March) and have been shut down ever since. We’ve also had to deal with 6 weeks of child care for the summer being cancelled. Back in December we arranged our vacations with family friends to watch each other’s kids for a couple weeks, and we used camps for a couple weeks. By May all of the camps were cancelled, one week of my wife’s vacation was cancelled, and our friends both had a week cancelled. Some of these weeks were forced vacation when the lockdown started in March and April, then made up by forcing you to work when you planned to be off in the summer. We have no family around and there’s very little child care in the city, and with new restrictions it’s costly and impractical. I was scheduled to back to work in July. It was a real panic for us, we literally had no one to watch our child for the summer. “Luckily” I found out in June our company is closing down, so now I’ll be home watching kids this summer, both mine and our friends.
Schools might reopen in September currently there’s 3 options it think. 1) back to school as normal. 2)30 kids in class, class is divided into two groups Of 15, half work from home one day then from school the next, alternating back and forth. 3) same as #2 but the kids alternate every week instead of every day.
So now I don’t even know if I will be able to look for full time work in the fall or If I’ll have to work some part time gig, to work around the school schedule.

People around here are starting to figure out that schools are necessary for looking after the kids so people can go to work.

#16261 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

-
As we've seen in one neighboring state, letting Hotel Quarantine "Gigilo" amatuer security guards sleep with the quarantined guests IS a bad idea, though.
The very same state had schools Closed til just recently, being all "super cautious" and that, in aspects that don't matter for spread... now they have serious virus outbreaks. How ironic.
Covid19 declared war on the world. What we needed to do to win the war, is be smart.....

I wouldn't get too cocky , as you said we had harsha and longer knockdowns than other states and then it suddenly blew up .
The reason SA has such low numbers is because you're literally in the middle of nowhere and no tourists want to go there
NSW has worse numbers but no one is talking about them .
To totally contradict myself , they have Locked down around 3000 people in public housing Towers for at least 5 days with less than a days notice . The shit is going to hit the fan when they can't have their cigarettes , alcohol or drugs .
Overall for country with a population of around 26 million 104 deaths doesn't seem that bad compared to other countries .

IMG_20200705_235610 (resized).jpgIMG_20200705_235610 (resized).jpgIMG_20200705_235542 (resized).jpgIMG_20200705_235542 (resized).jpg
#16262 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

There was a kid running around my neighborhood today with a union jack. I thought that was a pretty funny troll.

Who knows what the kid was thinking but the way you described it made me laugh .

#16263 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

You can keep the Hollywood revision. Rednecks are poor, hard working people of which I am proud to belong.

I would never be proud to have that label. No offense but you should have higher expectations since the term has a more negative connotation in today’s world than it did.

#16264 3 years ago

You can't blame the rednecks for this one . I think it's been a combined effort of all types of people . Over here I've seen people who should know better , out protesting trying to get whatever point they want across .

#16265 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

.... NSW has worse numbers but no one is talking about them .

Gotta remember those figures are from since this all started, and they had Shipt Loads of infected passengers disembark and go walkabout around Sydney, so to be fair a large proportion of those numbers are from Early in the piece.

Of course then they were alowed to travel to all parts of the country spreading it further afield including here. We started climbing, but got it sorted. Schools here have been open almost the entire time, since the start of April. Voluntay attendance, with online from home option. They had one week fully closed before the 2 weeks holidays, that was it.

The Govt here decided working people needed to be able to go to work still, while children were at school and/or care. Many in healthcare too, or other essential services. The evidence was showing extremely low transmission in early education from very early on, sot the call was made not to close schools but make attendance voluntary, to acomodate people needing to work. Keeping kids home was encouraged initially, as caution, and most did. But most were then back at school within a month. Primary and High Schools being open throughout did not promote the spread of covid here. Also we never got to the degree of using masks, seen a few about, but mostly security guards and services. We were asked to conserve masks for services, and avoid masks ourselves. Don't get me wrong, there were alot of kinds of caution going on, just seemed to be stuff that counted, and eased the hobbling of ... well, workers mostly. Seems to have worked okay so far. Fingers x-ed.

Look at that "+101" in your row! . Only a couple of weeks ago you lot had numbers like Queensland.

You guys there are On The Move there! . Moving up the ladder, toward premiership!?! (CV19 premiership, not AFL )

Quoted from screaminr:

You can't blame the [convicts] for this one . I think it's been a combined effort of all types of people . Over here I've seen people who should know better , out protesting trying to get whatever point they want across .

Heard a pearler today screaminr ...

Q. What does Covid19 and the Spice Girls have in common ??

#16266 3 years ago

Redneck shouldn't be used as a political slur either, but it always is.

#16267 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

No offense but you should have higher expectations since the term has a more negative connotation in today’s world than it did.

No offence , but I think people ,who think they are better than other people use this term to put other people down . We have a similar word over here " Bogan " but that does not mean they aren't loving and respectful and good citizens , they just aren't as rich , pretentious or sophisticated as some people .

IMG_20200706_005139 (resized).jpgIMG_20200706_005139 (resized).jpgIMG_20200706_005948 (resized).jpgIMG_20200706_005948 (resized).jpg

#16268 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

You can't blame the rednecks for this one . I think it's been a combined effort of all types of people . Over here I've seen people who should know better , out protesting trying to get whatever point they want across .

Exactly.. and it takes someone from outside the U.S. to see it. All the bullshit.. the virus, the social unrest starts in the urban areas and flows outward..

#16269 3 years ago

Gryszzz that term was the only reason I didn’t upvote your post (not that you care about that!)

I just can never figure out whether I am one myself or not, and certainly don’t want to be found guilty of cultural appropriation!

#16270 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I would never be proud to have that label. No offense but you should have higher expectations since the term has a more negative connotation in today’s world than it did.

Everyone knows today's connotation and for some strange reason it only adds to the allure. People that have never skinned a buck, run a trot line, or spit beechnut into a dude's eye all of a sudden identify as redneck.

Knowingly embracing the title (some even buy t-shirts!) will tell you just about all you need to know about a person. It is all part of this grand celebration of ignorance and faux history.

#16271 3 years ago

screaminr

85BCC037-6F97-4B86-93F5-BB40F78AB3C5 (resized).jpeg85BCC037-6F97-4B86-93F5-BB40F78AB3C5 (resized).jpeg
#16272 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

No offence , but I think people ,who think they are better than other people use this term to put other people down . We have a similar word over here " Bogan " but that does not mean they aren't loving and respectful and good citizens , they just aren't as rich , pretentious or sophisticated as some people .
[quoted image][quoted image]

They don't know it but that's just a Victorian word, in all the other states we exchange the word "Bogan" with "Victorian"

#16273 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Before you use a disparaging term you should understand what it means..
The redneck was simply a poor, working white who spent a lot of time in the sun. Field work produced a sunburn.
Rednecks didn't own anyone, they were usually sharecroppers or indentured servants for the rich.

I have heard the descriptor “redneck” used in conversation for many years. It was never used in a positive way.

I never knew the origin that you describe.

Meanings of some words change through the years. “ Redneck” seems to be one of those words.

#16274 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

No offence , but I think people ,who think they are better than other people use this term to put other people down .

Maybe, but the term and lifestyle has bee glorified for years by any comedian on the blue collar comedy tour as a term of endearment. Merica”. I don’t find the term Redneck offensive personally. I do think the term has changed over the years. I have a plethora of friends that hunt, fish, shoot/collect guns that would prefer to call themselves an “Outdoorsman” than a Redneck especially in some parts of Md

#16275 3 years ago

Regardless of the intent, it's clear that some people find the term offensive, so let's just stop using it in this thread. Thanks!

#16276 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

screaminr
[quoted image]

Interesting how most Aussies have never even been to Central Australia, or seen that kind of arid landscape. A good Ninety-something percent of the population lives within 100km of the coastline, amongst plenty of trees and hills and snow and stuff. We're Rimming It! Lol

#16277 3 years ago

This is a great tool that shows you the current risk level all over the globe. In the US, you can search all the way down to the county level ...

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/

#16278 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This is a great tool that shows you the current risk level all over the globe.

Same thing here, but includes the historical graph:

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMGE1YzFhZWUtMDBlNi00NDNhLWFmYjUtNGVmNjczMWY4Y2I1IiwidCI6ImMxMzZlZWMwLWZlOTItNDVlMC1iZWFlLTQ2OTg0OTczZTIzMiIsImMiOjF9

#16281 3 years ago

razorsedge

I have always found your country fascinating. My neighbors visited Oz a few years ago and they too stayed in the coastal cities. What a waste of a trip. My opinion is if you don’t experience the outback then you haven’t been to Australia. Always wanted to make the trip but I’m sure I couldn’t handle the 21 hour flight out.

#16282 3 years ago

Some interesting graph showing daily evolution of Covid deaths around the globe. (Sorry, it's in French)
Etats-Unis = USA
Espagne = Spain
Roy. Uni = UK
I guess you can figure out the rest

Now the early July average is about 4,900 deaths per day worldwide, mostly from the Americas.

Capture d’écran 2020-07-05 à 19.02.39 (resized).pngCapture d’écran 2020-07-05 à 19.02.39 (resized).png
#16283 3 years ago

7204 morts par jour.....Doesn’t sound good in any language

#16284 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

razorsedge
I have always found your country fascinating. My neighbors visited Oz a few years ago and they too stayed in the coastal cities. What a waste of a trip. My opinion is if you don’t experience the outback then you haven’t been to Australia. Always wanted to make the trip but I’m sure I couldn’t handle the 21 hour flight out.

Yes that is true. There is relatively limited attraction in the cities. They are mostly the same thing as any western metropolis in many other countries, it seems to me. Of course that is subjective in part.

There is some amazing stuff to be seen outside of metro areas, that is for sure, but still most of what you'd want to see is not desert. There is definately gazillions of square kilometres of essentially not much, see a few parts of it, most people are done with the isolation. The stars are certainly one of the sights to behold, and get to Ayres Rock and Kings Canyon in the NT.

Tourism was hit hard here, the bright side is it is coming back strong with local travellers and city people coming up to the country, intra-state travelling is being encouraged. With no new community cases for such a long time, they want to get things going a bit.

My state South Australia, we were always told was the driest state, in the driest nation, on the driest continent in the world. Not sure how accurate, but most of the state is Very dry and arid (mainly the north). I live quite a way to the north, but within the Flinders Ranges and not in the desert Lol. The landscape I guess is not what many would expect or imagine for dry country northern areas of South Australia, and there is still hundreds of thousands of square kilometers of non-arid lands, like the landscapes in the Southern Flinders Ranges. It is winter here now, and yes it still does rain in winter.... sometimes Lol

One tourism drawcard really feeling it has been our local railway. Covid caused the longest period where trains did not run the rails in the entire existence of the railway. Trains Only run in Autumn/Winter/Spring with a break from November to March due to extreme fire risk. March Pandemic basically stopped things starting up. I think the first run was full booked for within a week of the initial lockdown. They had to pull the plug.

Here you can perhaps get a feel for the landscape typical to my area as well, and any train buffs might find other interest ...

This is a Narrow Guage railway, was part of "The Ghan" .... man that "W" Class is kinda haulin' some arses!

The reason for the squarky Slim Dusty track is the reference within it to "Woolshed Flat" which is this trains destination, just after the summit through Pichi Richi Pass. Last half of vid might be better, from when she blows the safety heading up the incline. 1990's VHS Lol.

Here's something newer, more drought like...

I am a boiler attendent, at times...

I do love me some Live Steam!!

#16285 3 years ago

Morts Par Jour - sounds like a French death metal band.

#16286 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

7204 morts par jour.....Doesn’t sound good in any language

How do you say “it’s just the flu” of “what about car crashes” in French?

#16287 3 years ago

thanks for the videos... Nothing is there but yet everything is there : )

had to google map what I just rode.

DCD572D2-CE81-42E1-A8B2-94680D98B666 (resized).jpegDCD572D2-CE81-42E1-A8B2-94680D98B666 (resized).jpeg
#16288 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Incidentally, don't discount the Israeli virology scientists. Some of the most influential medical innovations of the last 2 decades have derived from that country's medical research community. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised one iota if some Israeli research or technology leads to effective covid19 treatment. Fingers crossed.

https://ajn.timesofisrael.com/israel-invents-one-minute-coronavirus-breath-test/

#16289 3 years ago

That is pretty darn cool and does get me pretty excited.

but,

90% success rate isn’t all that fantastic from a clinical standpoint.

From screener standpoint I see some great applications. If they can get the speed up even at the cost of some more accuracy, it would still be far superior to other screening techniques (like temp checks). 1 minute is tough though for venues.

It is so close to being awesome.

#16291 3 years ago

Says the guy that is always talking about beating people up.

#16292 3 years ago

This made me laugh:

Screenshot_20200705-215215~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200705-215215~2 (resized).png
#16293 3 years ago
corona-virus-thats (resized).jpgcorona-virus-thats (resized).jpg
#16294 3 years ago

Nick Cordero just passed after a 3 month battle with this shit. Take a look at that guy when he was healthy just a few months ago, then take a real good look in the mirror. It can get any of us.

#16295 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

thanks for the videos... Nothing is there but yet everything is there : )
had to google map what I just rode. [quoted image]

Here's some from the region where screaminr is at. There they have Much more mountainous terrain for tourist trains. I'm sure this railway has had some struggles lately due to the Rona, just as we have.

They have the entirely cute "Puffing Billy" (nawww), which is built on a crazy tight guage of 2'6" ...

There is no desert in Victoria. The sun Never shines, it's always cold, and it Rains Every Day! Lol ... just like the mother land!

Spectacular scenery, and definately worthwhile even for non train-buff types. These are Victorias Dandenong Ranges, pretty much lush forest.

It looks like it's going to tip over sometimes, and hanging out of the train crossing those marvelous bridges with a huge drop into the ravines!?! ... Victorians are crazy, and a bit strange sometimes... but we still love 'em all the same.

I dunno, but maybe, is it anything like that thing with Bugs Bunny and Florida ??

#16296 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Here's some from the region of screaminr. There they have Much more mountainous terrain for tourist trains. I'm sure this one has had some struggles lately due to the Rona, just as we have.
They have the entirely cute "Puffing Billy" (nawww), which is built on a crazy tight guage of 2'6" ...

There is no desert in Victoria. The sun Never shines, it's always cold, and it Rains Every Day! Lol ... just like the mother land!
Spectacular scenery, and definately worthwhile even for non train-buff types.
It looks like it's going to tip over sometimes, and hanging out of the train crossing those marvelous bridges with a huge drop into the ravine!?! ... Victorians are crazy, and a bit strange sometimes... but we still love 'em all the same.
I dunno, but maybe, is it anything like that thing with Bugs Bunny and Florida ??

That's awesome!

#16297 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Nick Cordero just passed after a 3 month battle with this shit. Take a look at that guy when he was healthy just a few months ago, then take a real good look in the mirror. It can get any of us.

Just saw that, unbelievable. R.I.P

#16298 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Heard a pearler today screaminr ...
Q. What does Covid19 and the Spice Girls have in common ??

A. Victoria fuc#ed it up for Everyone!!

#16299 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

That is pretty darn cool and does get me pretty excited.
but,
90% success rate isn’t all that fantastic from a clinical standpoint.
From screener standpoint I see some great applications. If they can get the speed up even at the cost of some more accuracy, it would still be far superior to other screening techniques (like temp checks). 1 minute is tough though for venues.
It is so close to being awesome.

The article actually reports that the test is "more than 90%" effective. In any event, the innovative approach of this test is cause for encouragement.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 326 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/326?hl=dawezl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.