272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 324 of 576.
#16150 3 years ago

I wear glasses 100% of the time. Without them I am nearly blind!

I realized that not all masks are equal. Fogging is far more pronounced for some. Depends how tight is the contact below your glasses. Try different models.

#16151 3 years ago

Saw a news story yesterday that United Airlines is still operating flights at around 63% capacity. Combining that with the friends posting family vacation pictures on Facebook, I can’t help but wonder how any thinking person can possibly be surprised at any uptick in US cases.

Winning.

#16152 3 years ago
745C9815-A405-4836-BD25-C1A3146CA2B3 (resized).jpeg745C9815-A405-4836-BD25-C1A3146CA2B3 (resized).jpeg
#16153 3 years ago

Florida alone reported 10,000 covid cases Thursday. F’en nuts. For perspective, the daily peak in Italy (with 3x the population) was 6,500. No need to worry though because the pndemic is being handled.

#16154 3 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Lol you already were before Covid

LoL

Don't listen to him @screaminr, us Aussies stick together, warts and all

Now... if you can get those playboy security guards to do their job, instead of Sleeping With the detainees in the covid Quarantine hotels, those crazy outbreaks should begin to ease a bit.

After that the rest of Aus might let you out, you'll all be able to come visit us again in the better states of Australia, with all the lovely weather and sunshine and good stuff (like AFL?... ooohh, too soon?), and then this kind of thing won't need to be happening when you guys try to covertly escape Victoria State Gaol Lol

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-victoria-men-fined-after-van-gets-bogged-trying-to-cross-into-south-australia/8d64f2a1-53e2-419c-85bb-580b887bde76?ref=BP_RSS_ninenews_1_victorians-fined-after-van-gets-bogged-trying-to-cross-south-aus_030720

https _prod.static9.net.au_fs_d9ad8ab7-48ab-40af-bedc-b2f43ccb5e59 (resized).jpghttps _prod.static9.net.au_fs_d9ad8ab7-48ab-40af-bedc-b2f43ccb5e59 (resized).jpg

https _prod.static9.net.au_fs_acbcb1a1-8027-416f-aba8-046834d02849 (resized).jpghttps _prod.static9.net.au_fs_acbcb1a1-8027-416f-aba8-046834d02849 (resized).jpg

https _prod.static9.net.au_fs_7ed9aa86-76ff-400d-89eb-09f8f223cbfd (resized).jpghttps _prod.static9.net.au_fs_7ed9aa86-76ff-400d-89eb-09f8f223cbfd (resized).jpg

Gotta wonder what those guys there were so desperate to get out for?...

#16155 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I guess rim jobs are not ok due to Corona
[quoted image]

Just when I thought this couldn’t get any worse!

#16156 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

[quoted image]

Soon only 99.98% of us will remain? Good one. Hopefully they will all return to full health without any lasting effects.

What if the world has a large population of permanently disabled people in that 99.98% that could have been otherwise prevented. Is that still a win?

0.02% needlessly dead around the world. That’s 1.6 million. Why worry

#16157 3 years ago

We are testing more than any other country, thats why cases keep going up. Deaths on the other hand are on the decline........thats a good thing for all you gloomer doomers.

#16158 3 years ago

I have heard people using shaving cream on their glasses to prevent fog up. I personally would only have a cleaner and microfiber towel touch the lenses.

Perhaps us glasses wearers just need a surgical shine job in exchange for 20 menthol Kools....

#16159 3 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Lol you already were before Covid

Haha nice one .
Now you guys have opened back up , you can go back to looking at your opera house and going over your bridge and playing rugby (which Melbourne Storm usually wins )
Our Fairy Penguins are still free to do their thing .

IMG_20200704_003008 (resized).jpgIMG_20200704_003008 (resized).jpg
#16160 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

We are testing more than any other country, thats why cases keep going up. Deaths on the other hand are on the decline........thats a good thing for all you gloomer doomers.

Why do you consider those of us taking a scientific and seemingly pragmatic approach “doom and gloomers?” Agreed that the fact that deaths haven’t gone up is a good thing. We still don’t know if that will hold as the epidemic spreads further in the higher affected states. I think the concern I have is that minimizing the risk and outcomes results in folks getting lax in their behaviors. We’re currently seeing what that causes in FL, TX, Los Angeles and AZ. There’s definitely a difference between using an abundance of caution and panic. I’m definitely not panicking. I’ll stop being “doom and gloom” when we start re-bending the curve or we have a vaccine. That’s when I can get optimistic again. Just my thoughts.

#16161 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The percentage of tests coming back positive have shot up in some areas. You can’t explain that away with “we’re doing more testing.” And on a per-capita basis, the US is NOT testing more than any country. We’re in the middle of the pack, last time I checked. And yesterday alone we had 687 new deaths. Nothing to brag about.

We talk about deaths lagging infections by a few weeks, but I think something more complex is at play here. The average age for new infections is going down, and that’s good in the short term, as many of these people will survive or even be completely asymptomatic. But in the coming weeks as these infected people visit older family members, I think we’re going to see a new wave of hospitalizations.

I’ve dropped my guard a bit this past month, but I’m going to start avoiding public indoor places again. I’ve been to too many places where the sign on the door says “MASKS REQUIRED” but only a few inside were wearing them.

#16162 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

LoL
Don't listen to him screaminr, us Aussies stick together, warts and all

It's all good for a laugh .

Quoted from razorsedge:

Now... if you can get those playboy security guards to do their job, instead of Sleeping With the detainees in the covid Quarantine hotels, those crazy outbreaks should begin to ease a bit.

My mate got put in hotel Lockdown after coming back from Thailand and they would let him out to go for a jog - WTF .

I saw the news about those guys trying to cross the border , dopey bastards , why would you want a go to SA

#16163 3 years ago

US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams urged caution when looking at the US death rate for the virus remaining flat while the number of new cases increases.

"We know deaths lag at least two weeks and can lag even more," Adams said, speaking on "Fox & Friends" on Friday.

(Quoted on CNN)

#16164 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

It's all good for a laugh .

My mate got put in hotel Lockdown after coming back from Thailand and they would let him out to go for a jog - WTF .

If you can't laugh what Can you do, right?.

What about the rent-a-cops?? .... WTF is the go with that monkey business?? Lol

Instead of Deuce Bigalow Security Services, other states used professionals

Quoted from screaminr:

.... why would you want a go to SA

Maybe they were hoping to attend one of those "Victorian Football" matches that we're having here??

Our SANFL and Country Leagues are underway here, too...

#16165 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Be patient with me. What do you mean by deaths?
Do you mean:
Case fatality rate?
deaths per day?
Deaths per 100,000 people?

As far as testing... here is a good article rebutting your argument:

https://www.propublica.org/article/state-coronavirus-data-doesnt-support-trumps-misleading-testing-claims

#16166 3 years ago

I was lucky to have a couple of true friends in my life. One friend moved back east a few years ago to be with family. I didn't know them. I found out yesterday he died two weeks ago as I was trying to contact him to tell him I'd be coming to see him in 2 months. Hard to deal with. Easy to fall down a rabbit hole with all the crazy going on. I've found that outdoor forms of exercise (biking for me) helps me deal with anxiety and different forms of stress. Stay safe.

#16167 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Be patient with me. What do you mean by deaths?
Do you mean:
Case fatality rate?
deaths per day?
Deaths per 100,000 people?
As far as testing... here is a good article rebutting your argument:
https://www.propublica.org/article/state-coronavirus-data-doesnt-support-trumps-misleading-testing-claims

i think it means people not alive

#16168 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

What about the rent-a-cops?? .... WTF is the go with that monkey business?? Lol
Instead of Deuce Bigalow Security Services, other states used professionals

Our security guards provide a " full service " at no extra charge .

#16169 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You posted this before and I showed you with data and facts that this is FALSE. As this is now the second time in a week you've posted this I have to assume you are deliberately trying to spread false information.

#16170 3 years ago

Here is a similar heat map to the one posted above, only much better. The heat map is color coded by new cases over the last 7 days, so you can see current hot spots, and hover over any county to see a complete history plot not available in the other map.

This is helpful since most small county health department web pages don't plot the historical/trend data like this.

One glitch, it seems you have to select world map on the left, then US map again, and THEN you can zoom in/out with the mouse wheel. That allows you to zoom in and more easily find a specific county.

Click on the map link in the second paragraph to view the map.
https://ethics.harvard.edu/path-to-zero

The data for my county is weird and seeing the plot confirms when I have noted. We get a lot of visitors in Savannah/Tybee, but new cases have been <10/day since March, until mid June when we started averaging ~50day. The mayor had to make masks mandatory in public starting 2days ago. I guess all the tourism, hot weather, and apathy is to blame.

#16171 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yes, but very derivative thinking by taking it at face value and sounds like a conservative news talking point than anything. This has been debunked over and over and over.

What it means that Covid19 is SPREADING. If there are more people testing positive over a certain amount of time... say yesterday, that means the RATE of infection increases. If we test more and the RATE of infection decreases over time it’s NOT spreading. See how that works?

It’s not doom and gloom it’s FACTs and interpreting the data correctly. The reality is that you can’t deny this thing away or think it’s BS or a hoax. This kind of thinking is what has gotten us to the point where we’re at. Break free of it.

abe52cc4878d_4360 (resized).jpgabe52cc4878d_4360 (resized).jpg
#16172 3 years ago

I have found some interesting data mining available on this site:
(Especially when comparing US Data, to any other country(ies).

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data

#16173 3 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

why is LA surging and spiking with covid cases when they have a mandatory mask regulation in effect for 7 weeks now?

Because it's a crowded city and people are selfish idiots.

I came up with three reasons why nature has bestowed this plague on man.

Greed

Stupidity

Wastefulness

protest-2-1 (resized).jpegprotest-2-1 (resized).jpeg

#16174 3 years ago
DA9F5F51-A066-4BD8-8D2C-D03EDD1C7314 (resized).pngDA9F5F51-A066-4BD8-8D2C-D03EDD1C7314 (resized).png
#16175 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You do realize that Arizona and Texas are having the highest daily death rate ever and it’s increasing? Florida is about a day or two away.

Source
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/florida

#16176 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

We are testing more than any other country, thats why cases keep going up.

Please stop giving us this nonsense. US is currently at #27 on the most testing countries list.

#16177 3 years ago
da79ff0d248c_4360 (resized).jpgda79ff0d248c_4360 (resized).jpg
#16178 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

[quoted image]

Now that's funny!

I think Governor Newsom is about the only one I've seen talk that has handled this intellectually using daily facts and numbers to make his decisions. Meanwhile not blaming anybody else. However, it looks to be getting out of his hands soon no matter what he does.

He has so far though, kept the hospital system from getting overwhelmed. But soon even that may get out of hand as they are filling up in at least a few counties.

But, for such a large state with so many people, I don't think anybody else could do a better job. And I didn't really like him when he first took office, but he's got my full respect now. He seems to be honest and very smart, a quick thinker, and from what I can tell he has a very big heart.

#16179 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

You posted this before and I showed you with data and facts that this is FALSE. As this is now the second time in a week you've posted this I have to assume you are deliberately trying to spread false information.

i guess it depends on where you get your news from? John Hopkins University And other websites and news sources says the U.S. tests the most and of course there are other news sources that says the President is lying. Gotta take your pick on who you believe i guess right?

#16180 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Please stop giving us this nonsense. US is currently at #27 on the most testing countries list.

This is part of the problem we have here, between the endless misinformation and the whole thing being turned into a political issue means it's not going away any time soon on our land mass. At this point I just don't care anymore. 99.9% of my family/relatives are in Canada or Europe so as long as they continue to block travelers from the USA then my family and relatives will be fine. We can take care of ourselves here by wearing masks, avoiding places that don't enforce mask rules and distancing as needed plus our area seems to be fine with masks from what we see. My business is purely remote and my wife both works remote and is an expert at converting people to remote work so she is endlessly in demand, so I'm done with all this. We'll be fine, our family and relatives will be fine, I'll let the rest of the country do whatever they want and let nature sort it out for everyone else. If this country doesn't give a damn then neither will I, but at least with travel bans the insanity will be contained within our borders.

#16182 3 years ago

He is trolling its what he does.

#16183 3 years ago

It’s not just about counting deaths.

People who survive and get a lung transplant are considered “recovered”... think about that.

(and everything in between)

#16184 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Say what? Would you like to make a wager on that? Say 4-6 weeks out? Will we be at zero? Or will we be climbing back up?

Let's say we come in at 500 deaths per week. 500 * 30 = 15,000.

We are at 132,000 deaths today ( 7-3-2020 ). Add 15K. 132,000 = 15000 = 147,000 in 30 days.

And you are OK with these numbers?

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.55.20 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.55.20 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.54.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.54.51 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.54.31 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.54.31 PM (resized).png

#16185 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Gotta take your pick on who you believe i guess right?

Even Gov. Newsom, instead of calling him out, agrees that with the more tests that are done, it is obviously a factor that will result in more positive tests. But only one factor to consider.

#16186 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The percentage of tests coming back positive have shot up in some areas. You can’t explain that away with “we’re doing more testing.” And on a per-capita basis, the US is NOT testing more than any country. We’re in the middle of the pack, last time I checked. And yesterday alone we had 687 new deaths. Nothing to brag about.
We talk about deaths lagging infections by a few weeks, but I think something more complex is at play here. The average age for new infections is going down, and that’s good in the short term, as many of these people will survive or even be completely asymptomatic. But in the coming weeks as these infected people visit older family members, I think we’re going to see a new wave of hospitalizations.
I’ve dropped my guard a bit this past month, but I’m going to start avoiding public indoor places again. I’ve been to too many places where the sign on the door says “MASKS REQUIRED” but only a few inside were wearing them.

There you go, using facts and sound logic. That has no place in this America. Come back after November.

#16187 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Say what? Would you like to make a wager on that? Say 4-6 weeks out? Will we be at zero? Or will we be climbing back up?
We are at 132,000 deaths today ( 7-3-2020 ). Add 15K. 132,000 = 15000 = 147,000 in 30 days.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Say what! You're daily new death chart shows deaths are declining. Looked like deaths peaked around April 20th

#16188 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I'm not ok with anyone dying but unfortunately people are going to die until this goes away. Your charts clearly show that deaths ate declining and that is a good thing any way you look at it. I do my part and wear a mask when i go out in public and that's all that I can do. I cant tell anyone else what to do.

The only real threat to me would be my co workers. I cant and I wont wear a mask for 8 hours a day so theres a risk at my job but i have to work to pay my bills so i cant avoid that.

#16189 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Say what! You're daily new death chart shows deaths are declining. Looked like deaths peaked around April 20th

Until hospitals start running out of room and people start going untreated. Some areas that day isn't far away.

#16190 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My guess is that deaths will start to climb Cotton. I think anyone can predict that considering it is summertime and people are out mingling with each other, plus we have opened the country back up also. It doesnt take a genius to figure out that the death count will most likely take an upward trend.

That does suck and nobody will say it doesnt but we simply cannot crush our economy because of this virus. It's easy for you to want to do that since you have your nice big fat pension and social security coming in every month no matter what but your neighbors that have mortgages, kids, car payments, utility bills and property taxes etc have got to work. They will lose it all if they don't. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

#16191 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That does suck and nobody will say it doesn't but we simply cannot crush our economy because of this virus. It's easy for you to want to do that since you have your nice big fat pension and social security coming in every month no matter what but your neighbors that have mortgages, kids, car payments, utility bills and property taxes etc have got to work. They will lose it all if they don't. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

I think the point being missed by people who keep saying we need to "think about the economy" and "think about people who can't afford to be out of work" is those of us concerned about the spread of this are not saying people shouldn't be able to go to work. What we are saying is wear masks, keep group gatherings small, and do the "smart thing" when you are not at work. It isn't all or nothing - there can be something in the middle.

No one likes wearing masks but it has been proven they help a ton. No one likes not enjoying the beach or a pool on the weekend but if you are going to do that stuff at least be smart about it. ETC.

#16192 3 years ago

I'm just glad I was prepared for this coming for years. No debt and staying fairly healthy without carrying around a lot of extra weight. Many they are showing at least locally that have died from this are very obese. Not all, but many. To me, it's fairly obvious their condition was mostly of their own doing.

#16193 3 years ago

Americans are barred from entering Europe right now because the majority of us won’t wear a mask. Do any of you think that’s not having an effect on the economy?

#16194 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

My guess is that deaths will start to climb Cotton. I think anyone can predict that considering it is summertime and people are out mingling with each other, plus we have opened the country back up also. It doesnt take a genius to figure out that the death count will most likely take an upward trend.
That does suck and nobody will say it doesnt but we simply cannot crush our economy because of this virus. It's easy for you to want to do that since you have your nice big fat pension and social security coming in every month no matter what but your neighbors that have mortgages, kids, car payments, utility bills and property taxes etc have got to work. They will lose it all if they don't. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Here's the problem:

First, your original statement is false because while increased testing would result in some increase in cases it DOES NOT account for the increase we are seeing now. That's why what the President is peddling right now is a lie and he knows it. Again, I explained this all to you 8 days ago.

Second, your concerns about the economy are short sighted. Let's take Texas as an example. Texas opened up before many other states and before it was ready to open up. Then it rushed through the opening phases while not meeting the benchmarks it set for itself when it opened. Now we are looking at reducing occupancy of bars and restaurants again and may easily be looking at another shelter in place order soon. What happens to the economy then?

If people would be reasonable and responsible and do what they are instructed to do we likely would have been able to slowly open Texas without a spike in cases. Unfortunately people are idiots.

So, would you rather do the right thing for a few months and get to a point where the economy can remain open or rush through things and end up back where we were in March?

#16195 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Americans are barred from entering Europe right now because the majority of us won’t wear a mask. Do any of you think that’s not having an effect on the economy?

The economy is in total denial right now. It's amazing the stock market hasn't completely tanked yet. Think of all the unemployment and businesses that are no more. And all the businesses that still exist that are at a fraction of production or capacity they were before this happened.

The travel industry, the entertainment industry, the auto industry, the sports industry, the hotel and lodging industry, the restaurant industry to name just a few. The list goes on and on.

Even Dr. Gizzard must be feeling it by the amount of time he is spending arguing here.

#16196 3 years ago

So, would you rather do the right thing for a few months and get to a point where the economy can remain open or rush through things and end up back where we were in March?

I protect myself the best I can when I have to go out and I am staying at home when I'm not working. I only go out when neccessary and I wear a mask when I do. I am not for shutting down the economy though. I can understand that bars and maybe other businesses being dangerous but I'm just not for the government forcing businesses to shut down.....I just cant be ok with that in any way.

I just wish the younger people would be smart enough to not go to packed out bars and stuff on their own but you will never get them to do that because they dont care as long as it's not affecting them personally and this virus pretty much is not affecting them. The economy simply cannot be crushed by our government. It's dangerous and its unconstitutional.

#16197 3 years ago

If people would be reasonable and responsible and do what they are instructed to do we likely would have been able to slowly open Texas without a spike in cases. Unfortunately people are idiots.

Agree 100%. Look around the world countries that have taken it seriously are getting back to normal and, more importantly, appear much better placed to stay in a more normal state while we figure out treatments or vaccines. Spain and Italy were a mess, they are far from that now.

I just don't get the short sighted view some people take, this is not a short game despite wishful thinking. The virus isn't just going to go away. What's going to happen when northern winter comes? Colds, flu, coivd, its going to be a mess.

#16198 3 years ago

The Canada-USA border will remain closed for a while longer, some people are wanting it to remained closed for the rest of the year. One problem we’re facing with entitled Americans is that they’re allowed to travel to Alaska, problem is they’re staying and being found camping in banff. Because of this people don’t even want Americans to pass through Canada.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/rcmp-issued-7-tickets-to-americans-found-in-banff-alta-over-the-past-week-1.4993704

#16199 3 years ago

I've always loved the fireworks that Robin puts up for us. Thanks Chief!

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 324 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/324?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.