272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 321 of 576.
#16000 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Was wondering why VT was in the same category as FL, same dark red color. This map is basically "manipulated data", VT had 53 new cases for the WEEK, and Florida had 38,748 for the WEEK. It goes by percentage, and ignores the numbers.

Percentages are more valid than raw numbers. Normalizing data is not “manipulating”.

#16004 3 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Everyone keeps pointing to the states with current spikes as having irresponsible mask usage. Apparently people in states that were initially hard hit are equally short-sighted. My son had a baseball tournament in CT. He played three teams from the NYC area. Not a single mask on a single kid, even in dugouts. Not an single coach wearing one. Maybe the occasional parent. Our team was marginally better. Was a little surprised.

Yeah, people seem to have very short memories, which is why I think we're all f****d. Chicago got hit really hard early on. We're doing very well numbers wise right now, but a lot of people are starting to become way too complacent, especially the younger generation. Many of them seem unable to grasp the fact that they are a potential transmission vector whether they will personally get sick or not. When you factor this in with all the major spread that is currently happening in other states, I think it's pretty much a guarantee that we will start to see a major rise in cases here again within the next 4-6 weeks.

#16006 3 years ago

I thought the Georgia choir incident (among other church related clusters) had taught us that indoor group singing is a bad idea at this time. Apparently we needed another lesson:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/28/politics/mike-pence-dallas-choir-no-masks-church-event/index.html

#16007 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Deaths are never mentioned! Just cases, cases, cases!!

Give it a little time. Deaths will catch up.

Around the world view. Deaths are not climbing as fast as new cases. But that means we ain't going down, either.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 12.23.40 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-29 at 12.23.40 PM (resized).png

In the U.S. we thought we were peaking. Don't look that way now, does it?

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 12.24.15 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-29 at 12.24.15 PM (resized).png

Deaths are not at zero. Let's say we maintain 500 deaths per day. One month @500 per day x 30 = 15,000 monthly death rate. Is that something to cheer about?

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 12.24.54 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-29 at 12.24.54 PM (resized).png

#16008 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I thought the Georgia choir incident (among other church related clusters) had taught us that indoor group singing is a bad idea at this time. Apparently we needed another lesson:

People are freaking idiots!

#16009 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Percentages are more valid than raw numbers. Normalizing data is not “manipulating”.

Good point, VT is the fouth lowest state in cases, with a less that 1% positive test number, but according to that map they are equal with Florida, Texas, etc for percentages. Was thinking of going to VT for a few days, but not now, they had six new cases today, way too risky.

#16010 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Isn't the first, and won't be the last, time that people have chosen to follow other idiots down the rabbit hole.

David Koresh and Jim Jones come to mind......

#16011 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Just remember they didn’t start counting until late March .Been around prolly since November .Xs 130,000 by 4 n add a multiplier for the fall/winter 2nd go around and it’s scary to think about .When countries start to refuse Americans entrance you know what’s coming.Stay safe all !!!

#16012 3 years ago

I have never let my guard down. A few people I do business with has reached to shake my hand, no, I just give a fist bump.

Today I went to the wholesale warehouse and stocked up on 4 months of supplies. I normally do 2, but I can see first hand the cases are going up, and I am taking another step back.

I am doing all I can to limit exposure, and I wish everyone could just think that same way.

#16013 3 years ago

Embarrassing how badly we failed this test, over and over and over again. My faith in our ability to deal with any kind of an emergency is through the floor. We are just luckier this disease isn’t deadlier.

I mean...it seriously boggles the mind.

I mean here in New York we kinda got it under control but how long is that gonna last, what with the rest of the country on fire? Well I guess I’ll enjoy my outdoor dining while it lasts.

I know it’s whiny and repetitive.

I just wish we could all - once and for all - get on the same page with this. It’s the only way out.

#16014 3 years ago

The latest study assumes that immunity might be higher than expected without antibodies and indicates that T-cell mediated immunity is demonstrated among several people, it has not undergone peer review ahead of publication in a scientific journal yet so take it with a pinch of salt at this point.

https://news.ki.se/immunity-to-covid-19-is-probably-higher-than-tests-have-shown

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.29.174888v1

#16015 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200629-235050~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200629-235050~2 (resized).png
#16016 3 years ago

Blame it on human nature, I don't know, but mentally go back to the beginning of this thread and walk through it. We began with people in denial and partying on beaches and other areas. Then it was religious groups (and some others) with little or no protection and currently we have the protesters ignoring safety protocols. Also the dumb fucks that think wearing a mask is a civil rights thing.

By the way, there is no political common denominator in these groups for those looking to point fingers and make political hay out of this. Nor is there a common denominator with governors of failing states.

With my local observations I've witnessed a similar evolution of denial, to increase safety, to now a very casual and lax attitude. And throughout this entire time I've seen almost daily improper use of masks and distancing violations. Noses sticking out, pulling the mask down to speak clearly and on and on. I have a friend of mine that visits prostitutes. He quit for a while due to covid but now he's back at it and making up for lost time. Can you imagine??

I'm not sophisticated enough to understand the herd immunity theory and candidly it goes entirely against my instincts. But I often feel like throwing my hands up and wonder, what's the point in some of us doing all of the work.

82790808_563724074485099_4441345970495553536_n (resized).jpg82790808_563724074485099_4441345970495553536_n (resized).jpg

#16017 3 years ago

The shit has hit the fan here , not as bad as some overseas countries but in my state they are locking down suburbs . Every other state besides New South Wales has locked us out , but they all say , don't come here you will be turned away . Do not allow Melbournians into your house or business . We had the longest and strongest Lockdown measures in Australia . Is it just a coincidence we have this outbreak after 30,000 people showed up at a black lives matter protest .
Just a coincidence ? .

#16018 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm not sophisticated enough to understand the herd immunity theory

Around here it seems to mean "Unless I can see physically see a covid patient, in a hospital bed, on a ventilator, with a Doctor standing over them saying 'This person has Covid-19,' right here, inside this Burger King, I/we are all immune and this is all bullshit."

#16019 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

With my local observations I've witnessed a similar evolution of denial, to increase safety, to now a very casual and lax attitude. And throughout this entire time I've seen almost daily improper use of masks and distancing violations. Noses sticking out, pulling the mask down to speak clearly and on and on. I have a friend of mine that visits prostitutes. He quit for a while due to covid but now he's back at it and making up for lost time. Can you imagine??

There's been a long building "science denial" issue here in America that has downstream effects like this.

Add a bunch of ego, self-importance, and 11 herbs and spices and we end up where we are.

Edited to add:

Quoted from Mr68:

I'm not sophisticated enough to understand the herd immunity theory and candidly it goes entirely against my instincts. But I often feel like throwing my hands up and wonder, what's the point in some of us doing all of the work.

If those of us that are capable give up caring for those who aren't, what's the point of any of it? The universe is a big empty place that doesn't give a shit if we exist or not. All humans have are each other.

#16020 3 years ago

Herd immunity the brutal old fashioned way means you surrender between 0.5-5.0% of the population to death directly to covid, an untold number to preventable death because covid got in the way, and who the hell knows how many with permanent disability.

One would hope we could do better than the Middle Ages.

#16021 3 years ago

I sent this to a bunch of people, then had to explain it to their dumbasses.

#16022 3 years ago

Social Distancing: The airline industry's version of social distancing.
===============================================

" Middle seats and packed planes are coming back as airlines prepare to ease restrictions."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/economy/middle-seats-airlines-covid-19/index.html

" American Airlines (AAL), the world's largest carrier disclosed Friday that "customers may notice that flights are booked to capacity starting July 1." This change comes even as the number of Covid-19 cases rises in many states."

"United (UAL) has been willing to sell every possible seat throughout the pandemic. Both said they would notify passengers when a flight has more than 70% of its seats booked, and allow them to change to a less crowded flight. But that won't necessarily allow passengers with limited flexibility to avoid crowded flights."

#16023 3 years ago

You just have to love healthcare in the U.S.

" Gilead’s coronavirus drug will cost $2,340 — which sounds expensive, but here’s why it’s not."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gileads-covid-19-drug-costs-2340-experts-say-thats-a-responsible-price-2020-06-29?mod=home-page

" The cost of remdesivir for a 5-day course of treatment is $2,340 in all developed countries..."
. ===============================

" There is one exception, however; in the U.S., the cost for a patient who has commercial health insurance, including a plan through their employer
. =========. ============================================
and purchased on the health exchanges, is $3,120.
. ======

" (The cost per vial for people covered by government health plans, including Medicare, Medicaid, and the Department of Veterans Affairs, is $390.)"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. As a Medicare/ VA recipient, I would/ will only be out my $184.00 annual deductible. If I were still on Obamacare the deductible for the plan that I was able to afford would have a $6700.00 deductible.

Cheers for those of us who have employer sponsored healthcare insurance, Medicare, or VA care. If you have been laid off and cannot afford insurance and you find you need this drug, you just might be SOL.

#16024 3 years ago

Well... Kansas has gone from phase 3 of reopening to mandatory masks state wide! But the bars are still open, not sure how that works with mandatory masks!

#16025 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

Well... Kansas has gone from phase 3 of reopening to mandatory masks state wide! But the bars are still open, not sure how that works with mandatory masks!

https://www.etsy.com/market/straw_mask

#16026 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Social Distancing: The airline industry's version of social distancing.
===============================================
" Middle seats and packed planes are coming back as airlines prepare to ease restrictions."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/economy/middle-seats-airlines-covid-19/index.html
" American Airlines (AAL), the world's largest carrier disclosed Friday that "customers may notice that flights are booked to capacity starting July 1." This change comes even as the number of Covid-19 cases rises in many states."
"United (UAL) has been willing to sell every possible seat throughout the pandemic. Both said they would notify passengers when a flight has more than 70% of its seats booked, and allow them to change to a less crowded flight. But that won't necessarily allow passengers with limited flexibility to avoid crowded flights."

I had to travel this week within EU for work. The "middle seat" restriction seems to have been eased here as well.
I was not sure, but as there was no way I would accept to seat next to someone else, I paid to upgrade to business class.
I can't be reimbursed but I don't regret the extra $250 I had to pay (round trip).
As a bonus, I even had a good (actually very good) meal on Czech airlines

Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris was like a ghost town. Most shops and lounges closed. Tight controls and long queues in Prague too. Travelling is not as fun as it used to be.

JLM

#16027 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

The same way the bars work with social distancing. They don't.

Wear a mask. Don't wear a mask. It is a party line split. Mitch McConnell is now talking up the wearing of masks. But no one is listening since the pinnacle of American politics chooses to not wear a mask.

And in Texas all the bar owners are bitching about being shut down. Again.

There is no fair way of shutting down. Every body wants to be an essential business. I get that and the need to cover the bills. If/as the virus progresses, things will get fugly.

#16028 3 years ago

Both American and United Airlines have said they're going to fill their planes to 100%. One of the CEO's, I forget who, said "there's no way to social distance on a plane anyway." Makes no difference to me. I have no idea when I'll feel comfortable on a plane again.

#16029 3 years ago

I stand corrected. Clearly people have put more thought into this then I did!

#16030 3 years ago
2CCDE27C-249A-4503-B983-2E413873E493 (resized).jpeg2CCDE27C-249A-4503-B983-2E413873E493 (resized).jpeg
#16031 3 years ago

Not sure anyone saw this but new concerns over a new h1n1/G4 swine flu out of China, potential pandemic disease.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/swine-flu-strain-human-pandemic-potential-increasingly-found-pigs-china

#16032 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Cheers for those of us who have employer sponsored healthcare insurance, Medicare, or VA care. If you have been laid off and cannot afford insurance and you find you need this drug, you just might be SOL

Cheers for those of us who have government sponsored healthcare. I was laid off for 13 weeks before I was told there’s no job to go back to, companies shutting down, contract was pulled. I have employment insurance for months, and no healthcare worries at all.

My heart goes out to the billions of people that have to think about healthcare, here in Canada it’s just always been there for us. Everyone is covered, even if you’re homeless the hospital will try to heal you.

#16033 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Both American and United Airlines have said they're going to fill their planes to 100%. One of the CEO's, I forget who, said "there's no way to social distance on a plane anyway." Makes no difference to me. I have no idea when I'll feel comfortable on a plane again.

Yeah I agree with this. Zero interest in flying anytime soon. I know I will have to eventually, I guess I'll pony up for first/business class and try to get a bulkhead seat. May rent a car at some point and make the drive to Florida...I mean, in a couple months if FLoirida gets its shit together.

#16034 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Not sure anyone saw this but new concerns over a new h1n1/G4 swine flu out of China, potential pandemic disease.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/swine-flu-strain-human-pandemic-potential-increasingly-found-pigs-china

It’s fairly common to see new strains of flu emerging, there’s a surveillance network for flu that keeps an eye on animal populations and those that work with pigs and chickens to look for possible new strains.

#16035 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

[quoted image]

Can’t say I disagree with this at all. This country is barreling straight for a disaster in the next 6 months and we still have people refusing to wear a mask in a grocery store.

At some point even the crackpots have to acknowledge reality right? Right?

#16036 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

It’s fairly common to see new strains of flu emerging, there’s a surveillance network for flu that keeps an eye on animal populations and those that work with pigs and chickens to look for possible new strains.

Fauci says it’s very concerning and need to keep an eye on it. Apparently has all the markers for human to human transmission and there are some cases amongst slaughterhouse employees.

#16038 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

My heart goes out to the billions of people that have to think about healthcare, here in Canada it’s just always been there for us. Everyone is covered, even if you’re homeless the hospital will try to heal you.

There are a lot of older people in the U.S. who would love to retire and the only thing stopping them is the lack of affordable healthcare insurance. If a lot of the old-timers could retire early it would open up a lot of jobs for the younger generations that need to find some work.

#16039 3 years ago

Crackpots gotta crackpot.

#16040 3 years ago

Kansas announced a mask requirement yesterday. Go read the comments section of any facebook group related to that announcement and you'll have your answer. It's probably 9 to 1 against with people claiming such things as it's a conspiracy to keep them from carrying guns since they say (falsely) that it's illegal to wear a mask while carrying a concealed weapon.

#16041 3 years ago

From the earth is flat and vaccines cause all birth defects crowd? No, sadly, I don't think we will see any admittance of reality.

#16042 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Also the dumb fucks that think wearing a mask is a civil rights thing. By the way, there is no political common denominator in these groups for those looking to point fingers and make political hay out of this

Um, yes there is.. the vast majority of dumb fucks who refuse to wear a mask due to "rights" are taking their cues from the dumbest fuck of them all who refuses to wear a mask.

#16043 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

You guys have phases? Neat!

No idea what phase we're on here in sunny FLA. Our bars are "kind of" closed, they can only serve in "to-go" containers. A couple of counties are reporting that they will definitely NOT be closing the beaches this weekend. :\

togo (resized).pngtogo (resized).png
#16044 3 years ago

...come sweet death, one last caress...

#16045 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Um, yes there is.. the vast majority of dumb fucks who refuse to wear a mask due to "rights" are taking their cues from the dumbest fuck of them all who refuses to wear a mask.

It’s true. That’s the biggest single reason we can’t get on the same page on this. It really sucks.

#16046 3 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#16047 3 years ago

For people who like to win in everything they do. We are number one.

USA-1 (resized).jpgUSA-1 (resized).jpg

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/30/health/us-coronavirus-toll-in-numbers-june-trnd/index.html

" The US leads the world in cases and deaths "

" More Americans have died from coronavirus than in wars in Vietnam, Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan "

" More Americans also have died of coronavirus in less than five months than in all of World War I. That conflict took the lives of 116,516 American soldiers. "
----------------------------------------------------

( I have to admit that this is the first time that I have heard WW I be called a conflict. )

#16048 3 years ago

Bars and restaurants here are fencing off their parking lots and then adding picnic tables spaced about 10 feet apart so they can do food and drinks outside. All the staff wear masks, customers wear masks except when they sit at their tables. It's working pretty well, although negotiating in small hallways around the bathrooms can still break the social distancing guidelines. I think this is the safest way for bars and restaurants to operate, keep everyone outside.

#16049 3 years ago

Need a new argument for wearing masks that might resonate with your more conservative family and friends? Goldman-Sachs says it will save the U.S. economy from roughly a 5% drop in GDP. Wearing a mask is good for the economy might just be the argument that works?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wearing-a-mask-to-halt-the-spread-of-coronavirus-has-a-big-impact-on-us-economic-growthand-goldman-has-done-the-math-2020-06-30?

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 321 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/321?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.