272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 320 of 576.
#15950 3 years ago

What an idiot! If I didn't know any better I'd say this was somewhere in Florabama.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/26/sheriffs-mask-covid/

#15951 3 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Do we have any stats on how many who get Covid19 and don't die have serious complications afterwards. Interested to see what percent recover 100% and what percent have serious complications that will last their lifetime.

Quoted from Oaken:

Still way too early to determine the long term effects of having Covid19. The evidence that does exist is concerning though.
There is some evidence that a good portion of asymptomatic folks have detectable changes in lung scans several weeks out. We simply don't know if these changes will resolve themselves or if they are permanent.
There are also plenty of stories of people that weren't even hospitalized, (but were sick enough to go get tested and know they had it), that struggle to walk up flights of stairs or around the block even weeks after "recovery". Still too early to tell how long until these effects resolve themselves.
Unfortunately, you will need to check back in a couple of years.

Just came across a related article on this topic:

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN23X1BZ

#15952 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Our governor took it seriously, but then the WI supreme court cured the virus, so it made all of his orders completely unnecessary. I don't understand why other states supreme courts don't cure covid like ours did.

You guys sure do march to the beat of your own drum up there ...

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/06/herd-immunity-rock-festival/

#15953 3 years ago

It's so frustrating! I went to the WalMart grocery store this morning (mask on and gloves on). I was in the self-checkout lane and an associate had to approve my beer purchase. So, she comes over to punch in the codes on the keypad. I bet that keypad maybe gets cleaned once a day? She's not wearing gloves. She is wearing a mask but it is only covering her chin. Mouth and nose completely exposed! Come on people! Can't fix stupid. So, this shit's gonna be hard to beat.
Rant over...
Now I'm gonna crack open one of those beers!
Cheers

#15954 3 years ago
104825493_4167689283302547_618898391747647529_n (resized).jpg104825493_4167689283302547_618898391747647529_n (resized).jpg
#15955 3 years ago

America has decided it doesn't want a second wave.

tenor.giftenor.gif
#15956 3 years ago
c541088577ac6b222bf51758a27ac6b8.gifc541088577ac6b222bf51758a27ac6b8.gif
#15957 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Military helping out with door to door testing after clusters of cases in Victoria?. Are you in/near any "hot zones" screaminr ?

Luckily not . Most of the cases are in the north west , I'm in the South East . Apparently a few of the cases were families getting together for religious celebrations . Supposably 40 cases were linked to one family . And you're right they're going door-to-door in the hotspots to do 100,000 tests in the next week .

#15958 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

A few hundred posts back, someone commented that their wife's friend and a relative of their doctor died from it, and the doctor nearly died from it, but other than that, they said it really hasn't been bad. Some folks are so firmly entrenched in their dogma I'm not sure a tube getting shoved down their trachea will change their mind.

That was me and when you consider two deaths out of probably 1 million people or more around me that's pretty much a non existant problem to worry about.

I do realize that if it was me or a family member that I would think differently. I also have never said that this isnt something to be concerned about and I take great precautions like wearing a mask and washing my hands frequently and using hand sanitizer but in my area it has not been very bad.

I did just hear last night that we have a nursing home near me that has 35 infected people in it. I worry about Coronavirus just like everyone else but there many other things that scare me a lot more at the moment.

You cant be afraid to leave your house, that's dumb. You should be more worried about cancer, heart disease, diabetes, dying in a car wreck and things like that.

#15959 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You cant be afraid to leave your house, that's dumb. You should be more worried about cancer, heart disease, diabetes, dying in a car wreck and things like that.

The first thing that popped in my head when I read this was “Great. Now I need to be afraid of car wrecks in my house”. I think I have been playing cars with my son too much.

Also, statistically many of those things are now less likely to kill you than covid. And you usually get to have family at your side as you pass. And they are not contagious. Just saying.

#15960 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

But leaving my house, talking with someone who has cancer or heart disease, doesn't make me get those or possibly transfer them to my family.

#15961 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That was me and when you consider two deaths out of probably 1 million people or more around me that's pretty much a non existant problem to worry about.
I do realize that if it was me or a family member that I would think differently. I also have never said that this isnt something to be concerned about and I take great precautions like wearing a mask and washing my hands frequently and using hand sanitizer but in my area it has not been very bad.
I did just hear last night that we have a nursing home near me that has 35 infected people in it. I worry about Coronavirus just like everyone else but there many other things that scare me a lot more at the moment.

I guess you could catch "dying in a car wreck" from someone else, but the rest take time to develop, you some control over them, there are treatments available and - most importantly - you can't catch them from a selfish, anti-science, willfully ignorant person who refuses to wear a mask in public spaces during a pandemic. So there is that.

#15962 3 years ago

What people don't seem to understand about Covid19 is the way it spreads and how quickly it can hit a bunch of people. Unlike car accidents, cancer, heart disease, etc which just impact one or two people one Coronavirus "carrier" can infect dozens of people. So if someone comes into contact with someone who has the Coronavirus in a week that one case could be spread to over 100 people. That that hundred people could spread it to a thousand people. Worse yet all of that could happen before any of the people spreading it even know they are sick.

It this were to take off like it could the cases and death toll could double or triple ever week for months once it gets out of control. Containment is the key thing people just can't seem to wrap their heads around.

#15963 3 years ago
A4F17366-907E-4890-95BD-CFFDD9F95BB9 (resized).jpegA4F17366-907E-4890-95BD-CFFDD9F95BB9 (resized).jpeg
#15964 3 years ago

Are we still trying to explain to people why this isn’t car crashes or the flu?

It honestly - 4 months into this - just seems like a waste of time. Some folks are beyond reason and are a lost cause. Hannity owns them now.

We are just gonna have to get past this despite them.

#15965 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The problem isn't people afraid to leave their homes. It's people unwilling to exercise a reasonable amount of caution when appropriate. I don't worry about any of those ways to die, but I wear a seatbelt when driving. I don't smoke. I try to eat right and exercise a bit. And I wear a mask and glasses when I can't be socially distant. The majority of people are unwilling to do that. That's a big problem. People who say "it's not that bad", or "it's no worse than" aren't helping the situation.

#15966 3 years ago

Air pollution. Covid 19.

Water pollution. Covid 19

Global warming. Covid 19.

Dying coral reefs. Covid 19.

Plastic trash clogging the ocean. Covid 19.

Mothers' against drunk drivers. Covid 19.

Gun control. Covid 19.

Pick your poison and you still wind up with Covid 19.

Covid 19. Covid 19. Covid 19. Covid 19.

#15967 3 years ago

Nora O'Donnell used the word "catastrophic" on the news yesterday in regards to the pandemic in the USA right now.

Now we are getting somewhere.

#15968 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Also, statistically many of those things are now less likely to kill you than covid.

Oaken that's just not true buddy. There are way more people dying of Cancer and Heart disease and Diabetes etc than Covid-19

#15970 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Not worried at all about dying from cancer, car crash, diabetes, etc antyime soon. Covid is a concern. If not dying myself, getting very sick, getting long term lung damage, or infecting my parents or others thst may be highly susceptible.

36k died last year in car crashes. 125k have died in 4 months from Covid with no near term end in sight. Your comparing apples and oranges and you don't get cancer or diabetes from walking around in public spaces from invisible particles largely coming from people refusing to wear masks or take precautions.

#15971 3 years ago

I live in a Central PA county near Penn State. We went on lock down on March 17th. I do home repairs and remodeling which was considered "essential". So during the lock down I luckily had work in empty rental properties and others that are 2nd homes. In March and April streets were deserted, when I got supplies or food there was 100% wearing masks. I have a full face respirator I was wearing along with gloves. Once our county went to "yellow" (some business's could open), I started seeing the odd person not wearing a mask in a store. We went to "green" weeks ago people not wearing a mask were still few in a store.

Yesterday in a Sheetz convenience store over lunch I counted 18 people without masks which was more than half the people in the store. Even with "mask required" signs on the door. Picking up supplies in Lowe's dozens weren't bothering either to wear a mask. Saw 2 local township workers without masks with the township name on their shirts. Called the township building. "Am I required to wear a mask to enter the township building?" "Yes". "Why do township workers feel that they can then enter a Lowes which require a mask and fail to wear one? Double standard?" Receptionist immediately got the township manager. She stated their policy and the workers were wrong to not wear a mask.

This is why we're screwed. People only think of themselves. Masks slow the spread. Not wearing a mask in a public building isn't a political statement, it just states you're ignorant and don't GAF about others.

#15972 3 years ago

We plan to open July 1. Masks mandatory, no exceptions, end of story.

I am suspicious as to whether we will only be open for a few weeks (or days, the way the rest of the country is going) and have to close back up again despite our "next-level" social distancing plans and safety precautions.

Three custom fan arrays are in place (note: temporary clamps in these photos).

9868916E-0CDF-40D3-9684-989EE5E15A6E (resized).jpeg9868916E-0CDF-40D3-9684-989EE5E15A6E (resized).jpeg

00A97E29-B1E7-47D4-8B4A-7D37AC420A20 (resized).jpeg00A97E29-B1E7-47D4-8B4A-7D37AC420A20 (resized).jpeg

I am currently in the process of doing smoke-checks from every game on the floor. If the plume moves steadily toward the vents, we're good. If it gets stuck in a loop, auxiliary fans will be deployed to move it along. Everyone, everywhere, as safe as possible.

Verify, verify, verify. No guessing.

B70A3597-6C02-46F5-BE2C-5C1A3EB79794 (resized).jpegB70A3597-6C02-46F5-BE2C-5C1A3EB79794 (resized).jpeg

I haven't heard of this being done anywhere else or even being discussed. Worrisome. But at least the media and medical resources are finally beginning to mention the importance of non-recirculated 'fresh airflow' in indoor environments. Finally.

My solution is a brute-force approach. It'll work, but it will strain humidity levels and HVAC. For now, I don't care. Beating COVID is more important. In the near future, I hope to see effective and verified virus-destroying air control solutions. That would be the next level from here.

#15973 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200627-225039~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200627-225039~2 (resized).png
#15974 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Oaken that's just not true buddy. There are way more people dying of Cancer and Heart disease and Diabetes etc than Covid-19

Mortality from some of these common and treatable conditions is also surely on the Rise, with people less likely or unable to seek treatment.... ?

Not all news is sensational enough to be worth reporting though, of course.

Does that additional death toll get blamed on covid19 as well? ... or should the blame go to some of the reactions for "controlling" it?

The actions for defending against covid should surely consider other serious health aspects as well, to reduce deaths from "everything". People should still be able to get help for curable life threatening conditions, at the same time as having smart measures against the covid spread.

#15975 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I am currently in the process of doing smoke-checks from every game on the floor. If the plume moves steadily toward the vents, we're good. If it gets stuck in a loop, auxiliary fans will be deployed to move it along. Everyone, everywhere, as safe as possible.

Well done! Don't forget the fan on Whirlwind.

I wonder if turning on the pins will affect the airflow due to heat rising from each?

#15976 3 years ago

Where I am we've had over 3 times the amount of deaths from traffic accidents than Corona .
So Buckle up

#15978 3 years ago

If anyone is wondering about the reasoning behind many colleges’s and universities’ reopening plans, this is pretty funny (and accurate)!

A MESSAGE FROM YOUR UNIVERSITY’S VICE PRESIDENT FOR MAGICAL THINKING by JULIANA GRAY

Our strategy is outlined below, but the short answer is this: Our university will proceed as if everything will be okay because we really, really want it to be.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-message-from-your-universitys-vice-president-for-magical-thinking

#15979 3 years ago
Quoted from c508:

If anyone is wondering about the reasoning behind many colleges’s and universities’ reopening plans, this is pretty funny (and accurate)!
A MESSAGE FROM YOUR UNIVERSITY’S VICE PRESIDENT FOR MAGICAL THINKING by JULIANA GRAY
Our strategy is outlined below, but the short answer is this: Our university will proceed as if everything will be okay because we really, really want it to be.
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-message-from-your-universitys-vice-president-for-magical-thinking

The reasoning is money. I don't know how the hell campuses can expect to stay open when they will have so many students and faculty either getting Covid or simply being exposed and then required to quarantine for 2 weeks. And here we are about to sign a lease for our daughter in another month.

#15980 3 years ago
Who-Dey’s Ohio  (resized).jpegWho-Dey’s Ohio (resized).jpeg
#15981 3 years ago

My four year old has no problem wearing a mask for 10 minutes inside a store, yet 80% of Ohio seems to have an issue. These past 3 months were for fuck all.

#15982 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ok I’ll bite:

2019 full year fatality totals usa

Categories you cited that I was referring to when I said “some” of the causes of death you were referring to

Car crashes 39,000
Diabetes 83,000
Murder 20,000
Etc...

Categories covid hasn’t caught up to yet

Heart disease 647,000
Cancer 607,000

Also I seem to recall the old argument was it doesn’t kill more than flu. Now we are arguing it isn’t that scary because it doesn’t kill more than all cancers combined?

#15983 3 years ago

What-about-ism is a very stupid debate technique.

#15984 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

The reasoning is money.

Oh of course... but what makes the McSweeney’s piece fun is how it talks around that issue.

Having read several colleges’ and universities’ “real” reopening plans, some are “hand-wavy and hopium fueled” and some are “very comprehensive, forward thinking and solid plans.”

Regardless, the likelihood of successful implementation of either of those those types plans is a totally different issue. A lot has to go right vs. not much having to go wrong.

I wonder how many institutions that have publicly announced they are reopening this fall will back down by the end of July (in light of what is likely to be several weeks of increasingly dire news about resurgences, new outbreaks and rising death tolls)?

Even schools that stay the course are likely to have a lot of parents decide that their son or daughter is going to defer this year. I think grad, professional and returning undergrad students are more likely to attend than first-year undergrads. But if I were going to graduate in 2021 the prospect of a dismal job market might make me want to take a year off too.

#15986 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

[quoted image]

When is the last time anyone checked on Mr. Kite, though?

mister_window (resized).jpgmister_window (resized).jpg
#15987 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200628-131520~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200628-131520~2 (resized).png
#15988 3 years ago

Green, Woohoo

#15989 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Yeah, we are out of ICU space and they are moving adults to the children's hospital, and the doctors here are begging us to please stay home and quit infecting one another because they cannot keep up. But imma just tell them to fuck off with that noise because a dude on a pinball forum says it's all fake news. Time to high step down to the mall.

Post of the month right there. Nothing funny about this virus but damn I guffawed on this one. *HIGH STEP DOWN TO THE MALL LOLOL*

#15990 3 years ago

Yellow, a more muted, but still very happy, "Woohoo"

#15991 3 years ago

A sea of lonely unfortunately.

#15992 3 years ago

I was driving home today from Savannah today and stopped at a Wendy’s in middle Georgia. There were at least 25 people inside, with no masks that I could see. It was the first time I looked inside a place, said “fuck that” and left. I ate at a Wendy’s in McDonough instead (when you have a taste for a spicy fried chicken sandwich, it cannot be denied).

#15993 3 years ago

My gf had to get a Coronavirus test done today and she said it sucked pretty bad. She said they stuck the swabs so far up her nose that it made her eyes water and tickled her brain

That's when I knew she was lying.

#15994 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

My gf had to get a Coronavirus test done today and she said it sucked pretty bad. She said they stuck the swabs so far up her nose that it made her eyes water and tickled her brain
That's when I knew she was lying.

Classic .
We've come up with a saliva test mainly to be used on kids and people with other issues . The only problem is , it can be incorrect 13% of the time .

#15995 3 years ago

Was wondering why VT was in the same category as FL, same dark red color. This map is basically "manipulated data", VT had 53 new cases for the WEEK, and Florida had 38,748 for the WEEK. It goes by percentage, and ignores the numbers.

#15996 3 years ago

Everyone keeps pointing to the states with current spikes as having irresponsible mask usage. Apparently people in states that were initially hard hit are equally short-sighted. My son had a baseball tournament in CT. He played three teams from the NYC area. Not a single mask on a single kid, even in dugouts. Not an single coach wearing one. Maybe the occasional parent. Our team was marginally better. Was a little surprised.

#15997 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Classic .
We've come up with a saliva test mainly to be used on kids and people with other issues . The only problem is , it can be incorrect 13% of the time .

She said it really did hurt and shes a pretty tough old bird. Shes gotta have her gallbladder removed on Wednesday so they had to check her for Covid-19.

#15998 3 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

What-about-ism is a very stupid debate technique.

But what about people that quote debate techniques with no data?

#15999 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Was wondering why VT was in the same category as FL, same dark red color. This map is basically "manipulated data", VT had 53 new cases for the WEEK, and Florida had 38,748 for the WEEK. It goes by percentage, and ignores the numbers.

Deaths are never mentioned! Just cases, cases, cases!!

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 320 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/320?hl=mizzou0103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.