272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 319 of 576.
#15900 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

There are also plenty of stories of people that weren't even hospitalized, (but were sick enough to go get tested and know they had it), that struggle to walk up flights of stairs or around the block even weeks after "recovery".

This describes a friend of mine. He is 47 years old and was in good shape before contracting the virus. It has now been over 12 weeks and he is still struggling. This thing just hit him like a ton of bricks. Fortunately, he never had to go on a ventilator, but the physical and even mental toll has been enormous. At this point he honestly doesn't know if he will ever fully recover.

#15901 3 years ago

Hopefully no one is having major exertion while wearing mask.

#15902 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Here is my question:
For years places of business have required shirts & shoes in order for you to shop or eat and everyone is basically OK with that. Over the past 10 years (give or take) smoking in public has been banned in more and more places and people are OK with that. If you want to drink alcohol or beer in public places in most areas you need to conceal what you are drinking and people are OK with that. Yet when the Department of Health asks you to wear a mask to help stop the spread of a deadly virus somehow they are taking away your rights?
Are people really getting this stupid?

My fear is the stupidity has always been there... affecting so much of the country... explaining so many things.

It's only now that it is so plainly visible, black on white.

It's frightening!!

#15903 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

... FoxNews ... of the world are telling them that masks are government control mechanisms.

I missed that Fox News segment, do you have a link to it?

#15904 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Make no mistake, the most dangerous thing that the US has going for it these days is this: a full 35% of this country is stupid. And I mean really, really stupid.

And they all have platforms to spew to the masses and leaders stoking them. 35% is way too conservative BTW. I kinda yearn for the good old days when you at least had to be technically literate to get on the internet.

"Rome is the mob..."

#15905 3 years ago

Only thing I want to know is are they still doing Filet o Fish Fridays in NY?

Because they sure dropped the ball on that here.

And this right here proves that I can predict the future.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/25/883289922/disneyland-delays-reopening-past-july-17

#15906 3 years ago

And here we go. Tarrant, Dallas and Harris counties have all implemented mandatory masking policies today due to the spike in COVID cases. The Texas Governor has also issued an order to suspend elective surgeries in those same counties to prepare for a surge in cases.

Texas opens first.

Texas pushes into the advanced phases of opening despite increasing cases.

Texas now has several cities categorized as hot spots and has to implement mandatory masking but still won't put any teeth behind the order and the Governor STILL refuses to endorse mandatory masking orders, leaving it all up to local counties. The Texas Governor also has refused to roll back the opening to prior levels despite stating he would do so if needed when the state began to open,

Ridiculous.

This is what happens when politicians who only care about getting re-elected make decisions about public health.

#15907 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I missed that Fox News segment, do you have a link to it?

lol. Laura Ingraham was telling Virginians to sue the state over masks not long ago. Come on.

#15908 3 years ago
105336375_667021900821982_3394640441218990586_n (resized).jpg105336375_667021900821982_3394640441218990586_n (resized).jpg
#15909 3 years ago

Personally I am getting ready to make my last "restock" run for food, gas, and other necessary stuff later today or tomorrow and then I am heading back into the "hide at home" mode for the next several weeks. I kind of knew the "second surge" was going to happen quickly once things entered the "green phase" here in PA and now we are at 5 days in a row with more new cases each day.

Thankfully I got a ton of "necessary running around" done and a bunch of stuff sold off over the past three or four weeks (stuff I had to meet up with people in person for pick up because it was too big to ship). Fully expecting things to get bad again quickly I followed my instincts & sadly my instincts were right. My wife thought I was totally crazy pushing like I have been for the past month but I kept telling her I needed to get that stuff done before the "shit hit the fan" in a big way. I am just so very glad I followed my instincts and did what I did when I did it.

I am thankfully I am semi retired and basically work from home anyway but I feel so so sorry for the people that have to go to work in this mess. Especially the health care workers, and our first responders that risk their lives everyday just doing their jobs. Many thanks to all of the people on the "fronts lines" of this battle!

#15910 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

If this is truly a problem then ask yourself:

How have medical professionals (surgeons, nurses, infectious disease researchers, etc...) been able to survive all these years with no deleterious effects?

#15911 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes people are really getting this stupid. The big difference between this - and say, cigs and wearing shirts and shoes - is that certain idiots with lots of followers have decided to turn this into a political and ideological litmus test. The fact that it’s going to cost countless lives doesn’t really matter to them, all they care about are “optics” and division.

Bit of a rant here.

It is sickening with the way the virus has been handled here in the U.S. This entire thing would have been nearly gone had a one month national lockdown been implemented in April but no. How could we inconvenience people for a whole month, after all no one tells an American what to do! Instead we are letting this thing drag out for months and as a result thousands more are dying. That's not freedom, it's stupidity. The federal government failed its people with its response to the virus and now states are left to respond however much, or little, they want. The problem with this approach is there's no plan, and no consistency to combat the virus. If a project manager ran a project like the federal government has handled the virus they would have been fired months ago. To make matters worse wearing a mask is now apparently a political statement versus to protect others and slow the spread. We're screwed.

#15912 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

This guy in the video you posted is overthinking the testing of oxygen intake and has left a lot of room for error in his results. I am sure his oxygen tester is helpful in a manhole though.
Here is a more scientific way to test oxygen intake:

#15913 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

This is what happens when politicians who only care about getting re-elected make decisions about public health.

You would think that constituents dying would be bad for re-election as well, but apparently not.

#15914 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

OAN and FoxNews and the Alex Joneses of the world are telling them that masks are government control mechanisms. And in a remarkable twist of irony, the prevailing argument from the crowd following the absolute morons, crisis profiteers, actors and grifters on those media platforms is that the rest of us are the lemmings that are blindly following the advice of dubious persons. Make no mistake, the most dangerous thing that the US has going for it these days is this: a full 35% of this country is stupid. And I mean really, really stupid. They want to believe they are oppressed, or that they know something the rest don't, or that there are vicious and evil actors controlling the media and the government and the AMA, etc... They want to believe these things because they are stupid and weak, and to acknowledge that there is randomness and unpredictability and chaos in the world would be too much for them to weather. No matter how insane and harebrained the theory is to the rest of us, to them it is just simply better than having to believe that something might just be going to shit because things go to shit. If I have a boogeyman to blame, at least I have something to justify my digging my heels in to hold onto my position and never evolve or think for myself.

Good rant. Tough but fair.

Here’s another one:

#15916 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

This guy in the video you posted is overthinking the testing of oxygen intake and has left a lot of room for error in his results.
Here is a more scientific way to test oxygen intake:

What actually would matter as far as getting a headache from wearing a mask is what your oxygen level is in your blood. For most people with relatively healthy lungs you can maintain a normal oxygen level in the blood even in an environment of less than 21% oxygen. You have pulmonary reserve that takes care of it for you. Now those with severe lung disease don’t have as much reserve so the drop in oxygen levels associated with wearing a mask (or going to altitude for that matter) can result in shortness of breath and headache. It’s no different from climbing a mountain. Up to around 8000 feet above sea level or so most people do just fine. Once above that level the oxygen drops enough to start to overcome your pulmonary reserve and you can get symptoms like shortness of breath or headache.

So if the guy in the first video measured his blood oxygen level during his experiment he would see it was still normal.

#15917 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This entire thing would have been nearly gone had a one month national lockdown been implemented in April but no.

No it wouldn't. If it was gone even for a week, it would have found a way to come back. Again and again. Ask China about that.

#15918 3 years ago

And here we go. Tarrant, Dallas and Harris counties have all implemented mandatory masking policies today due to the spike in COVID cases. The Texas Governor has also issued an order to suspend elective surgeries in those same counties to prepare for a surge in cases.
Texas opens first.
Texas pushes into the advanced phases of opening despite increasing cases.
Texas now has several cities categorized as hot spots and has to implement mandatory masking but still won't put any teeth behind the order and the Governor STILL refuses to endorse mandatory masking orders, leaving it all up to local counties. The Texas Governor also has refused to roll back the opening to prior levels despite stating he would do so if needed when the state began to open,
Ridiculous.

Don't worry...NC coming up right behind you. We finally got the mandatory mask requirement, but that's only going to keep the responsible ones (wearing the masks) from spreading it to the irresponsible (no masks). I was convinced this thing would take out the very elderly and sick first, with the very stupid second. I'm starting to have second thoughts about that statement.

For me, working in a hospital is tough and has a risk factor....going to the grocery store is tougher and riskier, imho...ugh

#15919 3 years ago

The 7-11 down the street is now posting a picture of a young employee there who died from this. He was pretty cool. RIP.

#15920 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Here is my question:

Are people really getting this stupid?

Yes.

#15921 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

If this is truly a problem then ask yourself:
How have medical professionals (surgeons, nurses, infectious disease researchers, etc...) been able to survive all these years with no deleterious effects?

I like my science to be better then that guy, he could have just put it in his mouth and held his breath under the mask. I just don’t think that’s a very reputable source either.

Ive worn N95 masks while woodworking, doing hard physical labour in very dusty environments and never have had a headache wearing one.

#15922 3 years ago

Holy shit. Is that a scene from parks and rec?

#15923 3 years ago

Reactions like that are the result of living in an internet echo chamber and refusing to consider facts that contradict your world view. There’s a high probability that each of those people left that meeting and buckled their seatbelt before driving away. Hrm...
The reality is that we have a segment of society that will continue to refuse to wear a mask no matter how bad things get and will deny that their own non-compliance had anything to do with the increase in cases and fatalities after it happens. They’ll just log back on to dontwearamask.org again and think their view is correct.

Sorry Gizzard but you gave false misleading advice early on about wearing masks. You are the last person I would heed advice from as far as masks. Nothing personal, just get real. If more people had disregarded the official narrative that masks were optional early on we would be facing a lot less cases.
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

#15924 3 years ago

To help the economy, and help people to stay home, maybe instead of getting stimulus checks we could instead receive a NIB pin(with no dimples or pooling), and everyone could be happy and stay at home for a very long time.

So in my area now, because of a Sahara dust storm, we are advised to wear dust masks when outside at all.

Who won the Sahara dust storm thing in their office pool? as the next news story.

The dust is expected to prevent tropical storm development though.

It is always something anymore.

And hell no I am not a gloom and doom person.

BUT, I do respect this virus, and my life has been changed, and I am as careful as I can when around others.

AND, I know people first hand that says this virus is no big deal, it has not killed that many people. WTF? In a short time it has killed a lot of people.

AND, I have read plenty about just because it did not kill someone, or get them sick enough to even go to the hospital, they are still having problems many weeks later, and wondering if their life will ever return to a healthy normal it once was.

Just be as careful as you can. Hand sanitizer and a mask will not kill you, although I have found too much hand sanitizer can get absorbed into the body a tad too much so that when you pee, it cleans the toilet...pretty amazing actually.

All jokes aside, please stay safe and be careful.

#15925 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200626-012317~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200626-012317~2 (resized).png
#15926 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

we could instead receive a NIB pin(with no dimples or pooling

Not from Stern you couldn't

#15927 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

What a pissa , that gave me a good laugh .

#15928 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The 7-11 down the street is now posting a picture of a young employee there who died from this. He was pretty cool. RIP.

Sad to hear that . I think it takes some people to personally know someone who has died from this to realise how serious it can be .

#15929 3 years ago

Stephen Hawking had a dinner for time travellers , nobody showed up so he said that proves time travel isn't possible , only problem with that is time travel hasn't been invented yet , ( or no one wanted to go ) maybe in 100 or 1000 years when it is invented people will show up at his party .

#15930 3 years ago

Current transmission rates by state. Red is bad (growing)
A3D1DA5F-3DBD-4220-A963-86A6BA596079.pngA3D1DA5F-3DBD-4220-A963-86A6BA596079.png

Source
https://amp.wbur.org/commonhealth/2020/06/22/mass-lowest-covid-transmission-rat?__twitter_impression=true

#15931 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Current transmission rates by state. Red is bad (growing)

Interesting, although a three-color code could have been more accurate - given the relatively large error bars, values are significant different from 1 for "only" 20 states - I would have shown all others (in the middle) in orange.
- 12 of them have R significantly below 1 - under control.
- 8 of them with R significantly above 1, and well above 1 for 6 of them (starting with Oregon) - one really has to do something there... Values above 1.5 start to be scary: exponentials are nasty.

Does not mean nothing should be done for other states, especially large ones (TX, CA...) where local values may well be >>1.

#15932 3 years ago

If only there was a rigorous testing regimen to tighten up those error bars...

#15933 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Funny isn't the word I'd use to describe the rising infection rate in all of these states. You think they would have learned their lessons. So yeah, "the shoe is on the other foot" and all these states are about to be ravaged by death and illness because they squandered a 4 month advantage that New York never had.
HAHA! That's so funny! Take that Cuomo!
Errr...ok

There was nothing political in my comment at all. And your latching on to the word “funny” is just another one of your belligerent attempts to politicize everything in this thread and mock anyone who doesn’t agree with you. I don’t find anything amusing about this situation, and I find nothing wrong with trying to quarantine visitors from high infection states. I did find his whining at the start of the crisis, when RI attempted to do the same, as pathetic and selfish.

#15934 3 years ago

Latest greatest from 2 hours ago. Theres been a 54% spike in new cases over 14 days. The good: Deaths are down most likely because Doctors have a few tools in treating the most severe cases. Remdesivir and Dexamethasone seem to be working as well as laying patients on their stomach increases how much oxygen is getting to their lungs. We also know now that there is a preventative measure that reduces ones exposure to the virus up to 5 times - Masks. Also, the first Coronavirus task force is meeting today for the first time in 2 months there's that.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).pngaadsf (resized).pngaadsf (resized).png

#15935 3 years ago

Also cases are trending younger (for now). I suspect that eventually the young will expose the elderly and average infected age will normalize (increase).

Right now those newly diagnosed are generally not in the hospital system.

Give it a few more weeks until the hospitals are fully in surge mode. If past is prologue, that will cause CFR to tick up.

I keep having to remind my inlaws that it’s kinda like rain storms and flooding. The cresting doesn’t happen until later.

#15936 3 years ago

For years now, my routine before leaving home would be to check my pockets for, 1, my phone and 2, my wallet. Step 3 has been added for my mask.

#15937 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Sad to hear that . I think it takes some people to personally know someone who has died from this to realise how serious it can be .

A few hundred posts back, someone commented that their wife's friend and a relative of their doctor died from it, and the doctor nearly died from it, but other than that, they said it really hasn't been bad. Some folks are so firmly entrenched in their dogma I'm not sure a tube getting shoved down their trachea will change their mind.

#15938 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200626-103721~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200626-103721~2 (resized).png
#15939 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

For years now, my routine before leaving home would be to check my pockets for, 1, my phone and 2, my wallet. Step 3 has been added for my mask.

Step 3 is keys. Step 4 is now mask.

#15940 3 years ago

Military helping out with door to door testing after clusters of cases in Victoria?. Are you in/near any "hot zones" screaminr ?

#15941 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I have masks in every pair of shorts.

#15942 3 years ago

Texas just shut the bars again. And cut back restaurant capacity. Abbott should take the word “never” out of his vocabulary and save himself the kind of headache that is coming from the hard stupid now.

#15943 3 years ago

Illinois just moved into "Phase 4" today. Basically, everything is back open again with capacity limits in place. I feel fortunate to live in a state where the governor has taken this whole thing very seriously since day one. Each phase of our re-opening has been strictly based on the data. In fact, I think we are one of the only states that met every CDC guideline for re-opening. I just hope people still take it seriously and continue to be smart when they are out and about. I could easily see us start to backslide if people become too complacent.

#15944 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Texas just shut the bars again. And cut back restaurant capacity. Abbott should take the word “never” out of his vocabulary and save himself the kind of headache that is coming from the hard stupid now.

Pretty shocked. It must be getting really bad down there for abbot and Lt. “All the grandmas I know want to die for the economy” gov. to finally reverse course Like that.

The good news is it’s really not that tough to fix, even now. Everybody just needs to stay home for a couple
Months.

#15945 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Everybody just needs to stay home for a couple months ...

LOL!!! I'm pretty sure you couldn't even get everybody to stay home for a couple days at this point.

#15946 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Illinois just moved into "Phase 4" today. Basically, everything is back open again with capacity limits in place. I feel fortunate to live in a state where the governor has taken this whole thing very seriously since day one. Each phase of our re-opening has been strictly based on the data. In fact, I think we are one of the only states that met every CDC guideline for re-opening. I just hope people still take it seriously and continue to be smart when they are out and about. I could easily see us start to backslide if people become too complacent.

Hopefully it will continue in the good, but I would not doubt a big spike in positive tests....

#15947 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Our governor took it seriously, but then the WI supreme court cured the virus, so it made all of his orders completely unnecessary. I don't understand why other states supreme courts don't cure covid like ours did.

#15948 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty shocked. It must be getting really bad down there for abbot and Lt. “All the grandmas I know want to die for the economy” gov. to finally reverse course Like that.
The good news is it’s really not that tough to fix, even now. Everybody just needs to stay home for a couple
Months.

People are pretty worried up here. My buddy across the street runs sheetrock and makes a killing. I stopped and talked to him this morning while I was walking the dogs and he said for the first time since this started, he has had to start sending guys home that show up coughing and obviously sick, and/or that come in telling them that they have a family member that just tested positive. Said he's paying like a dozen guys to stay home right now, because he knows that if he doesn't they will just go catch onto another crew and make those guys sick. He was pretty wigged out about it.

Now, the guys I know in the Houston area? Those guys are shitting bricks.

#15949 3 years ago

Woah, Florida has almost 9,000 new cases today.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 319 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/319?hl=hockeymag8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.