272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 318 of 576.
#15850 3 years ago
FB_IMG_1593048902588 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1593048902588 (resized).jpg
#15852 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Nah, I love Florida. It makes it appear on a map as if the US is peeing on Cuba.

Hey, a Gallagher joke!

#15853 3 years ago

Meanwhile... NY is now issuing a mandatory 14 day quarantine for anybody that comes in with a license plate from several states that are now hot spots.

I guess they are still working on a plan on how to handle those with NY license plates coming back from places that became hot spots after they got there.

#WEDIDITRIGHT

#15854 3 years ago

I have been recalled to work starting tomorrow. I am incredibly ambivalent about it. My area is getting RAVAGED right now. I also just found out that my wife's cousin tested positive for Covid -19.
Please keep us in your thoughts.
Screenshot_20200615-113156~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200615-113156~2 (resized).png

#15855 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Meanwhile... NY is now issuing a mandatory 14 day quarantine for anybody that comes in with a license plate from several states that are now hot spots.
I guess they are still working on a plan on how to handle those with NY license plates coming back from places that became hot spots after they got there.
#WEDIDITRIGHT

LOL blaming New Yorkers on the idiocy of all these states who are blowing up right now?

That's complete bullshit and you know it. We didn't tell Florida to open their gyms.

I have no idea why my "we did it right" got your granny panties in such a bunch. We did it right. We shut down the place and destroyed the curve. Seems like everybody else did it wrong. You had MONTHS lead time and chose to let people go to the movies.

Seems like you've spent this entire pandemic getting drunk with friends and going to McDonald's so I'm not sure you really have any lessons to impart upon us on COVID safety.

#FILLETOFISH

#15856 3 years ago

This new fear campaign being rolled out is not working.
All Citizens will be exposed. Quit talking about cases, its meaningless.
The Death rate is what people are concerned with, and its not high enough to warrant undue concern.
Now we have a name for what kills people in nursing homes every year.
People will not be shut down again, they will not be controlled. Impose new restrictions and watch the Civil Disobedience.
All Citizens will be exposed, some will die, the majority won't. Stop inflating fear, numbers, concern. Move on to the next panic.

#15857 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I guess he wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to reduce testing.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/24/trump-administration-drive-through-coronavirus-testing-338217
[quoted image]

Testing at this point is meaningless. Why? Negative exposed to positive 4 minutes later. False negative, false positive.
All the testing is doing is giving the people trying to control others a propped up means to justify it.
Entering thousands into an invasive Database run by Federal stooges. Generating hyped Headlines when the reality is much less severe.

#15858 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Testing at this point is meaningless. Why? Negative exposed to positive 4 minutes later. False negative, false positive.
All the testing is doing is giving the people trying to control others a propped up means to justify it.
Entering thousands into an invasive Database run by Federal stooges. Generating hyped Headlines when the reality is much less severe.

Yeah, we are out of ICU space and they are moving adults to the children's hospital, and the doctors here are begging us to please stay home and quit infecting one another because they cannot keep up. But imma just tell them to fuck off with that noise because a dude on a pinball forum says it's all fake news. Time to high step down to the mall.

#15859 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Disney World workers petition to delay reopening as Florida coronavirus cases surge"

I'm sure that it has nothing to do with getting that extra 600 dollar a week on top of their unemployment lol. Disney workers are making WAY more money sitting at home instead of working.

#15860 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Do you think you're not already in a government database? They assign us all numbers when we're born...

Stop testing... where have I heard that brilliant preventative measure before? I guess we're picking and choosing what federal stooges to listen to.

#15861 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol. My goodness, we have to be a joke to the rest of the world with our overall response to this virus. I know some states have done better then others at controlling it but the lack of a nation wide lockdown and letting every state do whatever they want has bit this country in the ass.

The U.S. does far more testing than other countries so that's why there are so many more cases.

#15862 3 years ago

So last Tuesday I agreed to do training for a distributor. My first time doing any of my normal activities since March. Limited my distance for everyone except for the person who set this up. Received a text from him on Friday saying he had been in contact with someone who was COVID positive and was going to get tested. Just received a text tonight saying he tested positive. I am going to get tested tomorrow. I should have never let my guard down. As an FYI don’t be me, keep your guard up.

#15863 3 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

So last Tuesday I agreed to do training for a distributor. My first time doing any of my normal activities since March. Limited my distance for everyone except for the person who set this up. Received a text from him on Friday saying he had been in contact with someone who was COVID positive and was going to get tested. Just received a text tonight saying he tested positive. I am going to get tested tomorrow. I should have never let my guard down. As an FYI don’t be me, keep your guard up.

Good luck BigT. I hope everything turns out ok for you and I believe it will. Sorry you are having to go through this worrying right now.

#15864 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The U.S. does far more testing than other countries so that's why there are so many more cases.

From https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ sorting by # of tests per 1M population, there are 25 countries before U.S.

#15865 3 years ago

And now Disneyland is blaming the state for not issuing guidelines they could understand or follow to open when they wanted to.

All I can say is where is my $5?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL blaming New Yorkers on the idiocy of all these states who are blowing up right now?

No. It's the idiots in NY that are letting all the idiots from NY that split and spent several weeks in now heavily infected places come back. But, on the west coast, it does make for good comedy.

#15866 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Incorrect.

If the increase in cases was simply due to increased testing you wouldn't see a difference in states. For example, Connecticut tested 1.7% of their population this week and had 1.3% positive tests. Arizona, on the other hand, tested 1.7% of their population as well but had 22% positive tests. Arizona therefore has a higher transmission rate and more actual cases vs Connecticut.

Also, states that have current case surges like Texas, Arizona, Florida and California also have increases in hospitalizations for COVID-19. Again, if the increase was just testing and there was no actual increase in cases then you wouldn't see increases in hospitalizations because you would just be uncovering those milder cases that you weren't testing before.

Lastly, here is a chart of tests per capita broken down by country. You can see the US is smack dab in the middle of the countries listed as far as how many tests per capita. We trail countries like Spain, Portugal, Canada, New Zealand, Russia and Australia.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/international-comparison

Don't believe everything you hear.

#15867 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:Don't believe everything you hear.

I just spent a half hour to an hour on the phone with a gearhead I sorta knew in high school.

Is it AM on the east coast now?

#15868 3 years ago

On Covid-19 you will find serious scientific articles, dead-wrong scientific articles and... this:

Why the pandemic unleashed a frenzy of toilet-paper buying
Personality traits help to explain why some people and not others hoarded a humdrum product in the face of a deadly virus.

People who felt seriously threatened by the COVID-19 pandemic are more likely to have stockpiled toilet paper in the pandemic’s early days than are those who were less worried about the disease.

As the new coronavirus began to spread across the Western Hemisphere this year, sales of toilet paper skyrocketed by up to 700% from February to March, prompting psychologists to argue about the reason for the buying spree.

Theo Toppe at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, and his colleagues surveyed 996 people in 22 countries across North America and Europe about how they purchased and stored toilet paper. Participants also ranked the threat of COVID-19 on a ten-point scale and took a test that rated them on several core personality traits.

Those who placed COVID-19 high on the risk scale were the most likely to bulk-buy toilet paper. Emotional people tended to worry most about the disease and thus tended to stockpile. Conscientiousness was also linked to stockpiling.

However, the variables studied accounted for only 12% of the variability in hoarding, so other factors must also influence people’s purchasing, the researchers say.

#15869 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

On Covid-19 you will find serious scientific articles, dead-wrong scientific articles and... this:
Personality traits help to explain why some people and not others hoarded a humdrum product in the face of a deadly virus.
People who felt seriously threatened by the COVID-19 pandemic are more likely to have stockpiled toilet paper in the pandemic’s early days than are those who were less worried about the disease.
As the new coronavirus began to spread across the Western Hemisphere this year, sales of toilet paper skyrocketed by up to 700% from February to March, prompting psychologists to argue about the reason for the buying spree.
Theo Toppe at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, and his colleagues surveyed 996 people in 22 countries across North America and Europe about how they purchased and stored toilet paper. Participants also ranked the threat of COVID-19 on a ten-point scale and took a test that rated them on several core personality traits.
Those who placed COVID-19 high on the risk scale were the most likely to bulk-buy toilet paper. Emotional people tended to worry most about the disease and thus tended to stockpile. Conscientiousness was also linked to stockpiling.
However, the variables studied accounted for only 12% of the variability in hoarding, so other factors must also influence people’s purchasing, the researchers say.

Its a good idea to keep about 200-300 rolls of toilet paper on hand at all times.

#15870 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I can't speak for other countries but over here the women were stockpiling the toilet paper and the men stockpiled alcohol . I think I know who got their priorities right .

#15871 3 years ago

Alright, lets not let anger lead to besmirching that most excellent of sandwiches.

#filetofishforever

#15872 3 years ago

I'm picturing homeowners this Halloween waking up with smiles to begin the harvest.

tp-house-san-clemente-16x9 (resized).jpgtp-house-san-clemente-16x9 (resized).jpg
#15873 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

#WEDIDITRIGHT

Pretty funny now that the shoe is on the other foot. I seem to remember Cuomo screaming bloody murder when Rhode Island was doing this to NY residents at the beginning of this crisis.

#15874 3 years ago

If these studies are correct, there's a worry that you may become vulnerable again even after you've had it.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/studies-report-rapid-loss-of-covid-19-antibodies-67650

#15875 3 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

Hope you make out okay, if, god forbid, it does come back positive, hope you have no, or very minor symptoms. I've known around twelve people who have tested positive. Most had zero symptoms, others only had a minor cold. All were lucky not to have anything more than that.

#15876 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's complete bullshit and you know it. We didn't tell Florida to open their gyms.
I have no idea why my "we did it right" got your granny panties in such a bunch. We did it right. We shut down the place and destroyed the curve. Seems like everybody else did it wrong. You had MONTHS lead time and chose to let people go to the movies.
Seems like you've spent this entire pandemic getting drunk with friends and going to McDonald's so I'm not sure you really have any lessons to impart upon us on COVID safety.
#FILLETOFISH

Its pretty obvious that New Yorkers did things the right way. They did a great job and hats off especially since they were one of the epicenters. CT, NJ and NY are now asking people traveling in from some states to quarantine for 14 days. Another good decision IMO. Florida closed late and opened early even admonishing other states for staying closed. They're doubling down on not to implement wearing masks in public even after the surgeon general there recommended it and now they are having some of the highest's infection rates of the country.

#15877 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

So people worried about Coronavirus were the ones stockpiling toilet paper? How insightful.....

#15879 3 years ago

Reactions like that are the result of living in an internet echo chamber and refusing to consider facts that contradict your world view. There’s a high probability that each of those people left that meeting and buckled their seatbelt before driving away. Hrm...

The reality is that we have a segment of society that will continue to refuse to wear a mask no matter how bad things get and will deny that their own non-compliance had anything to do with the increase in cases and fatalities after it happens. They’ll just log back on to dontwearamask.org again and think their view is correct.

#15880 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Not sure where you are from, but if you're in SE PA, you are probably one of those dudes fighting with the poor cashier at Wawa about being required to wear a mask. Thanks.

This whole governmental control argument is about the dumbest thing I've heard and somehow keeps gaining more and more support. I've yet to hear someone touting this argument to rationally explain to me WHY those in charge in government are interested in controlling everyone at the expense of the economy and those people who ultimately get them reelected.....

#15881 3 years ago

Stress and ignorance are really bringing out the crazies.

#15882 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

The Death rate is what people are concerned with, and its not high enough to warrant undue concern.

No, it's not to me (and I'm 'people' as well as far as I know ). I'm more afraid about the effects after having Covid-19 than I am of the time during the illness itself or of dying of it (I don't think I will die if I get corona, and the illness itself seems very bad, but temporary...the effects after that may remain forever).
And I think I'm more afraid my mother will suffer a lot if she'd get Covid-19 than I am of her dying, for I think the suffering would be worse for her right now.

#15883 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Incorrect.
If the increase in cases was simply due to increased testing you wouldn't see a difference in states. For example, Connecticut tested 1.7% of their population this week and had 1.3% positive tests. Arizona, on the other hand, tested 1.7% of their population as well but had 22% positive tests. Arizona therefore has a higher transmission rate and more actual cases vs Connecticut.
Also, states that have current case surges like Texas, Arizona, Florida and California also have increases in hospitalizations for COVID-19. Again, if the increase was just testing and there was no actual increase in cases then you wouldn't see increases in hospitalizations because you would just be uncovering those milder cases that you weren't testing before.
Lastly, here is a chart of tests per capita broken down by country. You can see the US is smack dab in the middle of the countries listed as far as how many tests per capita. We trail countries like Spain, Portugal, Canada, New Zealand, Russia and Australia.
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/international-comparison
Don't believe everything you hear.

Hey, stop using facts and data to make your point!

#15884 3 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Pretty funny now that the shoe is on the other foot. I seem to remember Cuomo screaming bloody murder when Rhode Island was doing this to NY residents at the beginning of this crisis.

Funny isn't the word I'd use to describe the rising infection rate in all of these states. You think they would have learned their lessons. So yeah, "the shoe is on the other foot" and all these states are about to be ravaged by death and illness because they squandered a 4 month advantage that New York never had.

HAHA! That's so funny! Take that Cuomo!

Errr...ok

#15885 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Reactions like that are the result of living in an internet echo chamber and refusing to consider facts that contradict your world view. There’s a high probability that each of those people left that meeting and buckled their seatbelt before driving away. Hrm...
The reality is that we have a segment of society that will continue to refuse to wear a mask no matter how bad things get and will deny that their own non-compliance had anything to do with the increase in cases and fatalities after it happens. They’ll just log back on to dontwearamask.org again and think their view is correct.

New forecast: 180,000 U.S. deaths of COVID-19 by October. But mask order can save 33,000

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/24/coronavirus-deaths-projected-high-if-no-mask-order/3255179001/

Wearing a mask “is extremely low-cost, and, for the individual, provides a 33% and as high 50% reduction in the risk of transmission,” he said in a video press release. “But at the community level, can save an extraordinary number of lives.”

#15886 3 years ago
Quoted from sven:

No, it's not to me (and I'm 'people' as well as far as I know ). I'm more afraid about the effects after having Covid-19 than I am of the time during the illness itself or of dying of it (I don't think I will die if I get corona, and the illness itself seems very bad, but temporary...the effects after that may remain forever).
And I think I'm more afraid my mother will suffer a lot if she'd get Covid-19 than I am of her dying, for I think the suffering would be worse for her right now.

Do we have any stats on how many who get Covid19 and don't die have serious complications afterwards. Interested to see what percent recover 100% and what percent have serious complications that will last their lifetime.

#15887 3 years ago

Here is my question:

For years places of business have required shirts & shoes in order for you to shop or eat and everyone is basically OK with that. Over the past 10 years (give or take) smoking in public has been banned in more and more places and people are OK with that. If you want to drink alcohol or beer in public places in most areas you need to conceal what you are drinking and people are OK with that. Yet when the Department of Health asks you to wear a mask to help stop the spread of a deadly virus somehow they are taking away your rights?

Are people really getting this stupid?

#15888 3 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Do we have any stats on how many who get Covid19 and don't die have serious complications afterwards. Interested to see what percent recover 100% and what percent have serious complications that will last their lifetime.

Would not be surprised if we see a significant dip in average life expectancy decades down the road due to this.

#15889 3 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

WAY to early to know the answer to that. We didn't even know the lasting risks of HPV until very recently - and that's been like 30 years of research now.

#15890 3 years ago

In the UK we finally get a couple of hot days (well hot for us, it's in the mid 80s Fahrenheit) and the beaches go nuts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717

One idiot interviewed "well I still don't know anyone that's had it, so in my eyes it don't really matter".

#15891 3 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Still way too early to determine the long term effects of having Covid19. The evidence that does exist is concerning though.

There is some evidence that a good portion of asymptomatic folks have detectable changes in lung scans several weeks out. We simply don't know if these changes will resolve themselves or if they are permanent.

There are also plenty of stories of people that weren't even hospitalized, (but were sick enough to go get tested and know they had it), that struggle to walk up flights of stairs or around the block even weeks after "recovery". Still too early to tell how long until these effects resolve themselves.

Unfortunately, you will need to check back in a couple of years.

#15892 3 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

It's probably still a bit too early to tell for certain, given so many other comorbidities that affected case fatality rates, let alone rates of those "recovered with complications".

But I do think this is necessary to understand and communicate as effectively as possible. Too many people seem to think Covid-19 has a binary outcome: "Eh, so I could die... but I might not! In fact bullshitstats.fu says I'm probably NOT likely to die, so I can go on like nothing happened... so eff you and your mask! And if I die, I'll see you in hell!"

Unfortunately the outcome is NOT exclusively binary. So it's not guaranteed to be like the flu where you finally get over it back to normal like nothing ever happened. For anyone who has ever had the uncomfortable human thought/discussion exercise of "I'd might rather die than be crippled / blind / invalid / have my lifestyle ruined / whatever", it seems COVID-19 truly has the roll-the-dice risk of forcibly re-calibrating one's sense of "tolerable handicap". Or, put another way, "to really fuck with yer freedums... permanently".

But NOOOOOOooo, the brutal repression of wearing a mask!! Such an intolerable sacrifice, let us all fall to woe and rend the garments! Sigh.

#15893 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Here is my question:
For years places of business have required shirts & shoes in order for you to shop or eat and everyone is basically OK with that. Over the past 10 years (give or take) smoking in public has been banned in more and more places and people are OK with that. If you want to drink alcohol or beer in public places in most areas you need to conceal what you are drinking and people are OK with that. Yet when the Department of Health asks you to wear a mask to help stop the spread of a deadly virus somehow they are taking away your rights?

Yes people are really getting this stupid. The big difference between this - and say, cigs and wearing shirts and shoes - is that certain idiots with lots of followers have decided to turn this into a political and ideological litmus test. The fact that it’s going to cost countless lives doesn’t really matter to them, all they care about are “optics” and division.

#15894 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

You can’t compare the failures of vaccination against one virus type to another. HIV mutates way more and in different ways than Coronaviruses mutate. And specifically this one, which isn’t mutating much and very quickly.

Covid19 has only been around for 6 months, HIV for 40 years. Tough to draw a conclusion based off what we don’t know.

There is just so much still unknown, hindsight will be 20/20 on this

#15895 3 years ago

OAN and FoxNews and the Alex Joneses of the world are telling them that masks are government control mechanisms. And in a remarkable twist of irony, the prevailing argument from the crowd following the absolute morons, crisis profiteers, actors and grifters on those media platforms is that the rest of us are the lemmings that are blindly following the advice of dubious persons. Make no mistake, the most dangerous thing that the US has going for it these days is this: a full 35% of this country is stupid. And I mean really, really stupid. They want to believe they are oppressed, or that they know something the rest don't, or that there are vicious and evil actors controlling the media and the government and the AMA, etc... They want to believe these things because they are stupid and weak, and to acknowledge that there is randomness and unpredictability and chaos in the world would be too much for them to weather. No matter how insane and harebrained the theory is to the rest of us, to them it is just simply better than having to believe that something might just be going to shit because things go to shit. If I have a boogeyman to blame, at least I have something to justify my digging my heels in to hold onto my position and never evolve or think for myself.

#15896 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Here is my question:

These are the same idiots who will come out saying that driving a car is a right. Wrong. It is an earned privilege.

#15897 3 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

In the UK we finally get a couple of hot days (well hot for us, it's in the mid 80s Fahrenheit) and the beaches go nuts.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717
One idiot interviewed "well I still don't know anyone that's had it, so in my eyes it don't really matter".

It's kind of comforting to know that America doesn't have a monopoly on stupid.

#15898 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's kind of comforting to know that America doesn't have a monopoly on stupid.

Well, fruit and tree, right?

#15899 3 years ago

This is PRECISELY where the problems in the US stem from

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-53174415/they-want-to-throw-god-s-wonderful-breathing-system-out

ego centric stupid dimwits

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 318 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/318?hl=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.