272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 315 of 576.
#15700 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Wow, a leader of a major superpower said yesterday that their response to an increase in COVID cases was to tel their health officials to slow down testing.
Yeah, we could cure cancer by not doing any biopsies either I guess...

Never be a cure for cancer, too big of a moneymaker!!

#15701 3 years ago

Wow, a leader of a major superpower said yesterday that their response to an increase in COVID cases was to tel their health officials to slow down testing.
Yeah, we could cure cancer by not doing any biopsies either I guess...

Pathetic but not surprising.

#15705 3 years ago

I've got $5 that says it will be announced Disneyland will not be reopening July 17th by the end of the month.

#15707 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've got $5 that says it will be announced Disneyland will not be reopening July 17th by the end of the month.

I think the 6 Flags near me opened a week ago, so be careful with that bet.

#15709 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The lunatics in Florida will open theirs right? Or is it too much liability.

NBA, baseball...it’s been an interesting dance in denial but I think it’s pretty clear those were just pipe dreams. NFL is in serious trouble as is college football, and people seem to be pretending they aren’t.

Pretty much every college football player tested positive this week.

I think our best bet for a while is the individual pseudo sports like racing, horses, golf etc. but this other stuff? I just don’t see it.

#15710 3 years ago

The Coronavirus is weakening says an Italian Doctor. This is great news that I'm sure that we can all be happy about right?

https://www.foxnews.com/world/italian-doctor-says-coronavirus-weakening-may-disappear-on-its-own-report

#15712 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The Coronavirus is weakening says an Italian Doctor. This is great news that I'm sure that we can all be happy about right?
https://www.foxnews.com/world/italian-doctor-says-coronavirus-weakening-may-disappear-on-its-own-report

If it turns out to be true, I will be the first doing a Jack style cartwheel in the streets.

Sadly, I am highly pessimistic.

#15713 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The article says, “ he believes” and “it appears”. The link you offer says “may disappear on its own”.

You misquoted it. It does sound like something positive but it nothing to lighting a cigar about.

#15714 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Already discussed. Viruses don’t weaken. If it’s the same strain it will do it’s thing once it infects you. Viruses can mutate over time but this guy isn’t saying he’s found a new mutated strain.

There is certainly a difference in how severe the illness is from patient to patient but a virus doesn’t just suddenly weaken.

#15715 3 years ago

I feel like that single doctor could also be confusing better treatments and earlier detection with a weakening virus.

For his statement to potentially be verified, we would need analyses of specific strains and the patients that had each. You know, science stuff.

#15716 3 years ago

World Health Organization just released news that yesterday was the biggest 1 day of cases reported since we started this circus.
Going to be rocky summer.
Face masks people.
Im just writing off the whole year at this point.

#15717 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Good bet Odin. We will know more on July 6th. Disney can change plans at the last minute. Training of cast members may start on the 12th. Its wait and see, 8 ball does not like the forecast.

#15718 3 years ago

It could be that the masks are reducing the viral load that is being transmitted and infecting the victims and that could be the reason for deaths and hospitalizations to trend down.
They say that when a child gets a generic virus, if a second child lives in the household and gets the virus from their sibling then that second child usually gets the virus worse because they are often exposed to more viral load because they live with the person that infected them.

#15719 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I feel like that single doctor could also be confusing better treatments and earlier detection with a weakening virus.
For his statement to potentially be verified, we would need analyses of specific strains and the patients that had each. You know, science stuff.

But why bother with in-depth analysis when you can just make a half-arsed 'claim' and get your 15 minutes of fame and potentially enough funding to last for several years.
That seems to be what has been happening from day 1.

#15720 3 years ago

A mandatory mask order in Houston?

I have a hunch that will go over really well.

As a New Yorker, what can I say? Some cities are cut out for responding to a pandemic, some aren’t.

Meanwhile we enter phase 2 today. I hate eating on the sidewalk (bums/buses) but I may hit a retail store today. Very exciting.

#15721 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Never be a cure for cancer, too big of a moneymaker!!

Do people really believe that people are holding back on a cure for cancer to make money?

Could it not be that there is no cure - and it is nature's way of killing people/animals.

Q: What happens IF a cure for Cancer, Alzheimer's, and every other disease known is found and everyone starts living longer and longer.
A: Something else will come along which we won't have seen before and start killing people. Sound familiar?

#15722 3 years ago

their response to an increase in COVID cases was to tell their health officials to slow down testing.

That's dangerously close to don't ask, don't tell?!

#15723 3 years ago

It’s an odd article. It’s almost like there’s a language barrier. This statement doesn’t really make sense: “I think the virus has mutated because our immune system reacts to the virus and we have a lower viral load now due to the lockdown, mask-wearing, social distancing,”

A virus mutating is a biological event. It has nothing to do with social factors like lockdowns and mask wearing.

Anyhow this exact article was published on Fox News several weeks ago and was discussed here. Why they would be recycling it now is beyond me. Slow news day?

#15724 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This. And increased testing. Which results in earlier detection and more asymptomatic cases. That pushes down the "perception" of the virus being as dangerous.

#15725 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Good bet Odin. We will know more on July 6th. Disney can change plans at the last minute. Training of cast members may start on the 12th. Its wait and see, 8 ball does not like the forecast.

Just read the Disney cast members union is petitioning the governor to keep it closed. Nothing happens without his approval anyway. Knott's is the only theme park here yet to present a reopening date.

I say keep them all closed and keep the tourists away until the virus is in serious decline, which it is now doing the opposite, or over.

#15727 3 years ago

Slowing the spread is exactly what we did in Ca. So hospitals would not be overwhelmed. Nobody said it would be stopped dead in it's tracks in two or three months, in fact the opposite.

Two schools of thought, keep it slow and it could go on for years, or open the floodgates and get it over with sooner. Neither is much of a win.

#15728 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Slowing the spread is exactly what we did in Ca. So hospitals would not be overwhelmed. Nobody said it would be stopped dead in it's tracks in two or three months, in fact the opposite.
Two schools of thought, keep it slow and it could go on for years, or open the floodgates and get it over with sooner. Neither is much of a win.

Truth. And in the absence of a vaccine (which I'm STILL not 100% believing will EVER exist), that's pretty much our only path forward. Slow the spread and deal with this shit even longer, or let it run its course, and be done sooner.

So the common cold is caused by a caronavirus, no? If that's the case, why have we not found a cure (vaccine) for it? What makes people so sure that we're going to be able to develop a vaccine for this virus?

#15729 3 years ago
tumblr_76b54a47291a0c6352049732b05f6424_63608c66_400.giftumblr_76b54a47291a0c6352049732b05f6424_63608c66_400.gif
#15730 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Truth. And in the absence of a vaccine (which I'm STILL not 100% believing will EVER exist), that's pretty much our only path forward. Slow the spread and deal with this shit even longer, or let it run its course, and be done sooner.

So the common cold is caused by a caronavirus, no? If that's the case, why have we not found a cure (vaccine) for it? What makes people so sure that we're going to be able to develop a vaccine for this virus?

Exactly. There has never been a successful vaccine for any coronavirus. And unfortunately, most people are not prepared to take extended periods of time off. America as a whole is well on it's way right now to just opening the floodgates and getting it over with. Maybe better to do it in summer than wait until winter when the virus will cause more severe cases because of the weather.

I, myself am prepared to sit this out as long as needed. I've got a Jeep to put back together as the parts have been trickling in.

#15731 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

A couple of responses:

1. I’ve heard several people talking about this idea of just letting it run it’s course and get it over with. The problem with that idea is that you will end up with overloaded hospitals and more deaths vs mitigation measures. I’m not saying we need to go back into shelter in place mode right now but I do think there needs to be the availability for local counties to respond to outbreaks with shelter in place type measures. Also people need to pull their heads out of their asses and realize that this virus doesn’t give two shits who you vote for or whether you believe it is fake news. It’s a virus. It wants to infect you and make baby viruses so they can go infect other people. That’s it. This isn’t a political issue, it’s a public health issue. I’m not saying this to you (o-din) specifically, I’m talking about the public at large. This isn’t over people. It won’t go away magically. We need to put our collective big boy pants on and do what is required to safeguard as many lives as possible.

2. There isn’t a vaccine for the common cold because there are multiple different viruses that can cause symptoms that we lump together as a “cold”. Also coronaviruses have typically been challenging to make effective vaccines for. Lastly, the common cold is a nuisance, very few people if any die from a cold. If they do die it’s because they got a superimposed bacterial pneumonia or something on top of it. So it’s not a public health risk. The good news so far about this coronavirus is that the mutations that have occurred so far haven’t been in the core proteins which is what they are targeting for vaccines so hopefully we stand a reasonable chance of getting one that will work.

#15732 3 years ago

This isn’t a political issue, it’s a public health issue. I’m not saying this to you (o-din) specifically, I’m talking about the public at large

No, I don't really get political or generally take sides. I'm more a realist. And the public has decided what it is going to do no matter what people in charge are recommending or telling them to do. And many people from both sides have now decided to ignore mask recommendations and social distancing because of their own causes.

Those that have decided to stay at home and have as little contact with the outside world have no control over what those that don't do, and neither do doctors, scientists, or politicians at this point.

#15733 3 years ago

Came back to see some colleagues and friends today at my former place. Just learnt that the wife of an ex-colleague got infected nearly four months ago. 37-year old, zero extra risk factor (not obese, not even overweight, not diabetic... not anything).

Yes she survived, but it did not go that well for her. She has yet to recover. Climbing more than one flight of stairs is a near impossibility for her and although she makes every possible effort to get better, going to work is exhausting. Then comes the risk of depression when you don't even know what you are fighting, how to fight it, and if full recovery will occur in 4 weeks, 4 months, 4 years or... The fear of fighting an unknown enemy is not good.

Her husband, in the same year range, stayed with her after she left hospital but never became sick and does not have any antibody against Covid-19!

Take home message:
- There is a full range of options in between "dead" and "it's just the flu"
- No one has any idea why it went so bad for her, and why her husband avoided it.

As I tend to believe a fair fraction of pinsiders are older than 37 (I am myself barely older than that ) just remember that it's not simple as (die/survive). Until we understand why some people are so vulnerable to it, assume you are and be careful.

#15734 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And the public has decided what it is going to do no matter what people in charge are recommending or telling them to do. And many people from both sides have now decided to ignore mask recommendations and social distancing because of their own causes.
Those that have decided to stay at home and have as little contact with the outside world have no control over what those that don't do, and neither do doctors, scientists, or politicians at this point.

That’s a recurring issue with healthcare. I think because people all have a body some seem to think they “know what’s best for their own body” and will go against medical advice. I don’t see it as often with other things, people will take their car to the mechanic and have the work done as suggested but will refuse to take a blood pressure medication.

As I’ve told patients many times, my job as your doctor is to inform you of what my recommendations are and what the adverse consequences could be if you don’t follow my advice. If you then choose to not follow my advice that’s your choice. People are able to make their own choices in life, even bad ones.

#15735 3 years ago

It was good to see Fauci to admit everyone,including the Surgeon General, lied to us early on about masks in order to prevent a shortage for healthcare workers. Hundreds of so-called health professionals gave misleading advice for the same reason.
Then he turns around and complains that Americans don't like to listen to authority.
It is no wonder. No matter the motivations, when leaders lie to us for our own good they assume it is necessary.
It is not necessary. Doing this adds suspicion and mistrust to anything else they may have to say.
I am thankful for wisdom that negates the need to rely on these so-called Experts and talking heads.

#15736 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, I don't really get political or generally take sides. I'm more a realist. And the public has decided what it is going to do no matter what people in charge are recommending or telling them to do. And many people from both sides have now decided to ignore mask recommendations and social distancing because of their own causes.

We are taking basically the same approach - go out as little as possible & when we do we do everything we can to protect ourselves. I have two adult children (both married with no kids) - they are both using the same approach and avoiding people as much as possible. Sadly my older son has to go to work everyday and works in a field that puts him in a high risk arena. So we have not seen him in person in months and it will likely be a long time before we can visit him again.

Most of the rest of my "family" is either dead and gone or too far away for us to see in person other than my younger sister & brother-in-law. We visit them about once a month staying in the yard about 25 yards from them. Both my sister & brother-in-law are very high risk so I don't want to get anywhere near them.

Life isn't a lot of fun right now but living this way is still way better than getting super sick or dying so I would rather be safe than sorry. I know this doesn't work for everyone but the more of us that can avoid people and do avoid people makes a few less people spreading it around or getting it ourselves. So in a way I feel like we are doing our part to help and are being part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

#15737 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

No matter the motivations, when leaders lie to us for our own good they assume it is necessary.
It is not necessary. Doing this adds suspicion and mistrust to anything else they may have to say.

If this is any consolation, it was the exact same thing in France. Health officials lied for a good reason (hospitals were already short of them). Of course it would have been better to say "We know you want one, but we need them for our most exposed staff - the frontline soldiers against the virus".

Even then, I'm not even sure people would have obeyed. Remember, to create a shortage, you only need a small fraction of the population hoarding as many as they could. Can you believe that, in the hospital nearby they had to store them in a safe place as some hospital employees were stealing masks to resell them ? Not even talking about low-pay grade employees...not janitors, but interns.

Another "Damn if you do, Damn if you don't" situation. The long term consequences of lying to your population are clearly bad - the short term consequences would have been bad. I suppose you have to weight your options - I am not judging. All I know is that I'm happy I was not in charge and I did not have to decide.

#15738 3 years ago

Looks like the race at Talladega is on!

Can't catch or spread no virus watching that.

#15739 3 years ago

Florida Man forces his way into Walmart without a mask

#15740 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Never be a cure for cancer, too big of a moneymaker

Absolute fact!

#15742 3 years ago

Well here now is some interesting and maybe, just maybe, good news.

A way to potentially disable the virus so that it cannot readily infect others.

Now if only they can quickly make it in mask form, in quantity, and provide more than proof of concept that it works.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/coronavirus/iu-discovery-could-lead-to-virus-killing-masks/article_8a6c2e8e-b4a6-11ea-a31d-b7778f05275e.html

#15743 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200622-120102~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200622-120102~2 (resized).png
#15744 3 years ago
9517005D07174172BADCE81C054E294C (resized).png9517005D07174172BADCE81C054E294C (resized).png
#15745 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I hate eating on the sidewalk (bums/buses)

NY sounds like a fun place .

IMG_20200623_191851 (resized).jpgIMG_20200623_191851 (resized).jpg
#15748 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Florida Man forces his way into Walmart without a mask

Retailers are having to be bouncers now

#15749 3 years ago

The NYT reported 30,451 new cases yesterday with a 32% increase in cases within 14 days in the US. Covid didn't get the memo that its supposed to disappear.

Untitled.pngUntitled.png
There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 315 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/315?hl=mizzou0103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.