272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 314 of 576.
#15650 3 years ago

It's been sad seeing the latest trends here in the U.S over the past few weeks. Controlling the virus in the U.S has not been consistent as there was never a nationwide lockdown, and every state is handling controlling the virus differently. Imagine if the U.S did a nationwide lockdown from mid March to the end of April? The virus would be virtually eliminated by now but instead it's now going to drag out for months if not a year or longer.

#15651 3 years ago
104496944_2685462468388577_8339417570201898819_n (resized).jpg104496944_2685462468388577_8339417570201898819_n (resized).jpg
#15652 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Kyle hill - His work has been published in WIRED, Popular Science, Slate and The Boston Globe, he has appeared as an expert on Fox News, Al Jazeera America, BBC World Service, and Huffington Post Live, held writing positions at Scientific American and Discover Magazine, and has worked as a TV host/expert for Science Channel (MythBusters: The Search, How to Build Everything), Netflix (Bill Nye Saves the World), and Al Jazeera America (TechKnow). Kyle was the Science Editor of Nerdist.com and host of the popular YouTube science show Because Science from 2014 to 2020.
Razorsedge - quoted on pinside.
Let me do some critical thinking and decide who’s opinion I’ll listen to about science.

Lol ... you think the earth's flat?

That is a cult and a scam you realise?

Ask a scientist, this fellows pretty simplistic analysis of the "box in truck suck" thing seriously lacks analysis. Poor. It is ignorant of important things to note. I don't need to see any more of his half-baked speculation. Thanks anyway.

The fact you have "mythbusters", among others, listed in there as "science" reference is kind of telling. I wish I could help, really.

Did you even try putting the vid in slow mo?

If the insight is set aside, or not understood, well at least I've tried to help others to understand the natural world, I guess. Can't help everybody, nor can we help those not wanting help.

I'm happy to break down some stuff for you, such as Mythbusters and like... it's Rona thread really though, I just responded to screaminr's interesting vid, so in interests of swerving back to topic if you wanted to PM me that's cool ...

Or maybe, hey yeah! ... can we have a "I can do Science, me!" kind of thread?? (*no, I mean that really... mods?)

#15653 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's been sad seeing the latest trends here in the U.S over the past few weeks. Controlling the virus in the U.S has not been consistent as there was never a nationwide lockdown, and every state is handling controlling the virus differently. Imagine if the U.S did a nationwide lockdown from mid March to the end of April? The virus would be virtually eliminated by now but instead it's now going to drag out for months if not a year or longer.

Very sad that this is turning into a political issue as well. Not wearing a mask is seen as a form of rebellion protest. smh

#15655 3 years ago
Quoted from toastbot:

Very sad that this is turning into a political issue as well.

+1, sad indeed!

#15656 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Lol ... you think the earth's flat?

I have no idea where you got that assumption from anything I’ve said. I’ve never once mentioned the earth was flat. I don’t know what your trying to prove, we both agree it’s not cgi. Just leave it at that and feel proud that you’ve won the Internet today. Whatever you need to feel big.

#15658 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I have no idea where you got that assumption form anything I’ve said. I’ve never once mentioned the earth was flat. I don’t know what your trying to prove, we both agree it’s not cgi. Just leave it at that and feel proud that you’ve won the Internet today. Whatever you need to feel big.

You're missing something. I meant your guy is like a "flatearther", only looking at one aspect of a multi-faceted thing. Never mind.

#15659 3 years ago

This has all been sobering to watch over the past few months. Such an overload of all kinds of strange new kinds of information. All about isolation and mortality and decline and stuff. Conflicting messages and confusion get to be a staple, all the while feeling for the welbeing of all our fellow man, mashed together with concern for those close.

My best wishes to those out there suffering.

Look at the light though, there, in the distance! ... it's there if we're facing the right direction. Go for it

#15660 3 years ago

What, you guys have not been wearing masks all along? In Pa. you have to wear a mask to stores that are open. Being open does not mean no masks.

#15661 3 years ago

Arcades are officially back open today in Maryland! Went into my favorite local haunt (Crabtown USA) and the arcade was open. There was reduced seating in the restaraunt, disposable everything, and hand sanitizer everywhere. Masks mandatory. Had a great time. They even popped in a new machine over the break and I experienced my first Meteor.

I have family flying in from Texas this weekend now that they feel it is safe to travel. Our visit will be like normal, except we won't be going into D.C. or Baltimore like we usually do. It's not Coronavirus that has us worried. There is stuff open, but we no longer feel safe entering most of these areas. Baltimore was already vying for per capita murder capital of America before the latest round of violence, and I don't want to be caught with my family in a bad situation there. I can't drive into D.C. without the risk of being caught in the city with the highway's shut down or unable to return to my vehicle due to unrest. It's sad as I have little kids and we love the museums and zoos, but it's just not safe anymore. Maybe things will change in a few months.

20200619_114631 (resized).jpg20200619_114631 (resized).jpg
#15662 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No, not really.
Deaths ARE rising, in over a dozen states, compared to a few weeks ago.
Cases are up. Deaths are up in many states.
America has failed to rise to the challenge, unlike many other countries who took it seriously and had a cohesive plan. And we are paying the price and will continue to pay the price. If we'd just done it the right way we'd ALL be coming out of it now, instead of it getting better in some places (New York) and worse in other places (Florida, Oklahoma, etc).
This is an opinion piece but it's built around the facts of COIVD trends in the U.S.:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/15/president-who-promised-put-america-first-instead-turned-us-into-this/

I don’t think I’d pay much attention to the Post, the Times, CNN or Fox.. Too slanted. While Florida and AZ cases are up, the death rate in the entire US has been below 1000 per day in 13 out of the last 14 days which is a big improvement over April and May. Check out the graphed rates at Our World In Data.

#15663 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

What, you guys have not been wearing masks all along? In Pa. you have to wear a mask to stores that are open. Being open does not mean no masks.

Masks "required" everywhere in RI too. I stood in line, wearing a mask, six feet apart today in the blaring sun to get seafood. Signs plastered everywhere; "Masks Required for Service". Everyone had masks on, except four muscle shirt wearing "Dudes", drinking White Claw. They fit the bill for so many "Poster Child" opportunities... O, they got served without the masks, I assume the business doesn't want to deal with any "confrontation" situations.

#15664 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

This has all been sobering to watch over the past few months. Such an overload of all kinds of strange new kinds of information. All about isolation and mortality and decline and stuff. Conflicting messages and confusion get to be a staple, all the while feeling for the welbeing of all our fellow man, mashed together with concern for those close.
My best wishes to those out there suffering.
Look at the light though, there, in the distance! ... it's there if we're facing the right direction. Go for it

Quoted from poppapin:

A lot of people have been wearing masks, but I guess I am mostly disturbed that everything has opened up VERY quickly causing a spike in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths....and their only response is to say they will fine businesses that don't mandate masks (pretty much every business already does mandate it, by the way)

It feels like a too little, too late scenario that changes nothing, and is trying to get the spotlight on someone else.

#15665 3 years ago

We are in the middle of Stupid Time, Stupid City, USA. We should feel better that we are down around 1000 dead per day??? That’s another 365,000 dead per year, at our low point!! And the numbers in huge states are skyrocketing. New York got its shit under control. Now it’s boiling over in the South and other huge populous states. Texas is headed for disaster in DFW and Houston at a minimum. I’m just at a loss for what’s acceptable. We get what we deserve in this ridiculous country. Lord.

#15666 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

A lot of people have been wearing masks, but I guess I am mostly disturbed that everything has opened up VERY quickly causing a spike in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths....and their only response is to say they will fine businesses that don't mandate masks (pretty much every business already does mandate it, by the way)
It feels like a too little, too late scenario that changes nothing, and is trying to get the spotlight on someone else.

I am wondering what things will look like in a couple of weeks after the rally in Tulsa where 20,000 are expected to gather tomorrow.

#15667 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

No you don't.
My local Lowe's does NOT enforce their masking policy, nor does the local Hobby Lobby 1/2-mile away.
They will not approach and challenge any customer NOT wearing a mask (they say it is their policy but they don't want to turn potential customers away).

BOTH stores are in direct violation of their corporate policies, and also don't seem to give a damn about what the state says.
Sadly.

I was in each store Friday afternoon, and it was about half-and-half. Even with signs stating MASKS displayed at the entrances. Those without masks just strolled in. So self-serving - would you enter a friend's home if the mat said "Please Wipe Your Feet" and enter with mud all over your shoes? What jackwagons. Also the management of these two stores are just total asses for not enforcing state guidelines AND trying to help protect their front-line employees too.

Locally my county sees its second peak coming in mid-August to mid-September - mostly due to this lax enforcement here.

Now with all but 1 county in the state in the green phase as of today, folks are literally throwing their masks away, thinking "Hey, we're back to life as usual!"

#15668 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

We are in the middle of Stupid Time, Stupid City, USA. We should feel better that we are down around 1000 dead per day??? That’s another 365,000 dead per year, at our low point!! And the numbers in huge states are skyrocketing. New York got its shit under control. Now it’s boiling over in the South and other huge populous states. Texas is headed for disaster in DFW and Houston at a minimum. I’m just at a loss for what’s acceptable. We get what we deserve in this ridiculous country. Lord.

On point. I couldn't even engage with the poster who tried to blame this on "slanted" news. We got 2 or 3 9/11 death tolls happening every week still and we are supposed to believe it's over? It's getting worse in many parts of the US and that's very troubling.

#15669 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

On point. I couldn't even engage with the poster who tried to blame this on "slanted" news. We got 2 or 3 9/11 death tolls happening every week still and we are supposed to believe it's over? It's getting worse in many parts of the US and that's very troubling.

Well, you just did engage the poster. Nobody said anything about it being over... but, it’s a hell of alot better than 1000 dying every day in New York and New Jersey alone.. You don’t think news today is “slanted”??

#15670 3 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

but, it’s a hell of alot better than 1000 dying every day in New York and New Jersey alone.

Objectively, yes, the overall trend is good - see the graphics pasted below for the US. But this may hide important state-to-state differences.
Cause of concern is that the downward trend is slower than elsewhere - see France for example. Italy, France, Belgium, Spain have all managed to bring the death toll to very low levels.

(source: https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2020/05/05/coronavirus-age-mortalite-departements-pays-suivez-l-evolution-de-l-epidemie-en-cartes-et-graphiques_6038751_4355770.html?utm_source=old_tracker)

USA:
US (resized).pngUS (resized).png

France:
France (resized).pngFrance (resized).png
(Peak on April 15 in France was due to incorporating deaths in nurse homes - until then, only people dying in Hospital were counted)

#15671 3 years ago

News is news. 2519 new cases in AZ today. 3207 new cases in FL today. 3516 new cases in TX today. CA? More than 4000. 121,407 dead in the US in 100 days. More US dead than the entirety of the decade-long Vietnam conflict and war. More US dead than in WW1.

News is facts. You don’t like facts? Tough shit. Now, are there channels that report 121,407 dead mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, grandmas and grandpas in a morose and sobering tone? Yep. Are there channels that report it as if the dead don’t matter? Yep. Are there channels worried about another 121,000 dying and reporting as if it’s a terrible omen? Yep. Are there channels reporting that all of science and logic and common sense is a lie so that your portofolios grow enough to make you happy so that you keep your cog in the wheel for the billionaires? Yep.

Pick your poison, but just because you don’t like facts doesn’t mean shit. Other than the rest of us have to step around you in the long, slow march back to humanity and sanity. Darwin will always win.

#15672 3 years ago

A few days old but just came across this study that suggests they even asymptomatic people have detectable abnormalities in their lungs.

“When they look at these CT scans, it’s hazy — looks like you’re looking through a dirty piece of glass. What that means is there’s something abnormal about the lungs.”

That...doesn’t sound good.

Also there is this:

“ Researchers analyzing public datasets found that as many as 45 percent of people infected with COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, never have traditional signs such as coughing, fever or shortness of breath.

What's more, in one of the datasets, more than half of asymptomatic patients had CT scans with signs of serious lung damage.”

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-3012

#15673 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

News is news. 2519 new cases in AZ today. 3207 new cases in FL today. 3516 new cases in TX today. CA? More than 4000. 121,407 dead in the US in 100 days. More US dead than the entirety of the decade-long Vietnam conflict and war. More US dead than in WW1.
News is facts. You don’t like facts? Tough shit. Now, are there channels that report 121,407 dead mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, grandmas and grandpas in a morose and sobering tone? Yep. Are there channels that report it as if the dead don’t matter? Yep. Are there channels worried about another 121,000 dying and reporting as if it’s a terrible omen? Yep. Are there channels reporting that all of science and logic and common sense is a lie so that your portofolios grow enough to make you happy so that you keep your cog in the wheel for the billionaires? Yep.
Pick your poison, but just because you don’t like facts doesn’t mean shit. Other than the rest of us have to step around you in the long, slow march back to humanity and sanity. Darwin will always win.

Yep. Tired of the assault on facts. Tired of the assault on “media.”

I think a lot of people are.

Just making up our own “facts” isn’t working any more. Not when 2020 is your reality.

#15674 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

A few days old but just came across this study that suggests they even asymptomatic people have detectable abnormalities in their lungs.
“When they look at these CT scans, it’s hazy — looks like you’re looking through a dirty piece of glass. What that means is there’s something abnormal about the lungs.”
That...doesn’t sound good.
Also there is this:
“ Researchers analyzing public datasets found that as many as 45 percent of people infected with COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, never have traditional signs such as coughing, fever or shortness of breath.
What's more, in one of the datasets, more than half of asymptomatic patients had CT scans with signs of serious lung damage.”
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-3012

And still a lot of people think 'mostly the elderly die, nothing to worry about when you're healthy and young'. It seems logical to focus of the number of deaths, but I think the attention to the problems of those that don't die, the majority, has been underexposed for most of the time.

#15675 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am wondering what things will look like in a couple of weeks after the rally in Tulsa where 20,000 are expected to gather tomorrow.

After it, those 20,000 people will go back to their homes. I don’t pretend to know the demographics of them, but I assume some of them are coming from a pretty good distance. My point being that if they catch it there, they will carry it across the country. So if it happens, it won’t just be a local spike.

My biggest worry about the event is that I think people will be shamed into not wearing a mask. But that’s their choice.

#15676 3 years ago

What is it about the US that allowed this embarrassing comparison?

8AC53375-75E2-4549-AE74-D2E1894828DF (resized).jpeg8AC53375-75E2-4549-AE74-D2E1894828DF (resized).jpeg
#15677 3 years ago
Quoted from sven:

And still a lot of people think 'mostly the elderly die, nothing to worry about when you're healthy and young'. It seems logical to focus of the number of deaths, but I think the attention to the problems of those that don't die, the majority, has been underexposed for most of the time.

Yeah, there is this huge misconception that you either catch it and die, or catch it and are perfectly fine once you recover. The reality is that there is a vast spectrum of possible outcomes that lie somewhere in between.

#15678 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yep. Tired of the assault on facts. Tired of the assault on “media.”
I think a lot of people are.
Just making up our own “facts” isn’t working any more. Not when 2020 is your reality.

Man, I don’t know where you get your news.. I assume CNN.. you don’t get that CNN’s Lemon and Cuomo encourage protestors (spreading the virus) and basically turn their heads to looting and violence on police.. on the other hand Fox’s Carlson and Hannity are constantly pushing for stronger police and military response to disturbances and encouraging attendance to tonights rally (spreading the virus). Most media sources in the US are biased one way or the other.. You want proof of the bias of cable news... sit back and flip channels tonight between CNN and Fox tonight and watch both spin the coverage of Trumps rally. It’ll be almost laughable. I miss real news.. not propaganda.

#15679 3 years ago

For anyone considering an antibody test, check your blood donor centers. Ours do the antibody test for free with a donation.

#15680 3 years ago

Things are now even uglier in Brazil with 55,209 new cases yesterday.

#15681 3 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

Man, I don’t know where you get your news.. I assume CNN.. you don’t get that CNN’s Lemon and Cuomo encourage protestors (spreading the virus) and basically turn their heads to looting and violence on police.. on the other hand Fox’s Carlson and Hannity are constantly pushing for stronger police and military response to disturbances and encouraging attendance to tonights rally (spreading the virus). Most media sources in the US are biased one way or the other.. You want proof of the bias of cable news... sit back and flip channels tonight between CNN and Fox tonight and watch both spin the coverage of Trumps rally. It’ll be almost laughable. I miss real news.. not propaganda.

The free media is the only thing keeping our country different than places like Russia and China. Probably why so many people in charge want to get rid of it.

They’ve done a great job in the US during this pandemic and have saved countless lives. We are in bad shape, but without them, we’d be in worse shape than Brazil.

#15682 3 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

There is a difference between news and editorialization by those sitting in front of the camera talking over the news. I don’t like any of them, other than Anderson Cooper, honestly. I agree with the OPINIONS on CNN more than I do usually on Fox News, but they don’t speak for me nor do they form my own opinions. I watch all
Manner of TV without being zombified by the scripts.

There hasn’t been a Walter Cronkite since Walter Cronkite. You have to think for yourself. Or watch Nickelodeon.

#15683 3 years ago

If we were to gather in a war room...what are the facts so far?

#15684 3 years ago

We can start with origin: unknown

#15685 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

for free with a donation.

#15686 3 years ago

A blood donation. I'm happy to do it. Anyone with antibodies should do it, but there is only one way to find out. Once I got through the paperwork, I was in and out in ~15 minutes. I get the results in 48 to 96 hours.

#15687 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

We can start with origin: unknown

Also interesting that there is now evidence that it was in Europe earlier than initially thought. They found traces of it in sewage samples back in December.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53106444

#15688 3 years ago

My girlfriend tested + for antibody. She’s
Visiting her mom so wanted both tests. - for big rona.

I guess that means me too but don’t think I’m gonna bother getting tested because it’s not gonna change my behavior any. Nobody seems to know what antibody means.

Meanwhile, I guess we don’t have to worry about any super spreading in Tulsa. Tiny “crowds.”

#15689 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

They found traces of it in sewage samples back in December.

That job sounds like it stinks.

#15690 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My girlfriend tested + for antibody. She’s
Visiting her mom so wanted both tests. - for big rona.
I guess that means me too but don’t think I’m gonna bother getting tested because it’s not gonna change my behavior any. Nobody seems to know what antibody means.
Meanwhile, I guess we don’t have to worry about any super spreading in Tulsa. Tiny “crowds.”

Which test (brand) did she take?

#15691 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200620-124321~3 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200620-124321~3 (resized).png
#15692 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Which test (brand) did she take?

No idea. She works for a major hospital and they are offering employees tests.

#15693 3 years ago

Sorry for off-topic posting - been listening for a lot of classical music while I was working at home during lockdown. I posted a few links to concerts / ballets during that time.

Here is now a concert recorded in 2016, available on Arte.tv this week only.

Chief: Philippe Jordan
Soprano: Sondra Radvanovsky

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/068385-000-A/soiree-lyrique-a-l-opera-de-paris/
(It seems the link works in the US too - I checked with my VPN)

Listen to the best part at 14'40" : Vissi d'arte from Giacomo Puccini.
It's not long (4 minutes) but it's pure ecstasy, even if sad.

You can ALSO find this short part on YouTube.

#15694 3 years ago

In my state Victoria we've had a surge in cases over the last week ranging from 4 to 24 cases a day and we haven't had a death in over 5 weeks . The government is now going back to Harsher Lockdown measures .
The new measures don't really affect me but I feel sorry for the pubs and another places that were trying to get back to normal . But I suppose it's better to control it now than to let it get out of hand . If we don't do anything , all the hard work will have been for nothing .

#15695 3 years ago

Weekend? That's Johnnypinball's dinner!

#15696 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

I haven't drank in three months

Me too, congrats!

#15698 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The free media is the only thing keeping our country different than places like Russia and China. Probably why so many people in charge want to get rid of it.
They’ve done a great job in the US during this pandemic and have saved countless lives. We are in bad shape, but without them, we’d be in worse shape than Brazil.

Nobody is looking to stop free speech here.. I’m searching, like alot of moderate thinking people are, to find news coverage that doesn’t try to tell me how to think or tell me what is “right”. I’ve been here long enough to decide that for myself. Just some place to give the the numbers, show me the events and let me decide for myself how to act.. All the major news networks are pushing people farther left or right and if you don’t go that direction you are wrong.

#15699 3 years ago

Wow, a leader of a major superpower said yesterday that their response to an increase in COVID cases was to tell their health officials to slow down testing.

Yeah, we could cure cancer by not doing any biopsies either I guess...

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 314 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/314?hl=dcp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.