272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 311 of 576.
#15500 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

If none of those are legitimate scientific or good news sources, I'd love to see what you consider reputable. Of course, you didn't provide any so I can only conclude you want to dodge the question and just continue on with whatever political narrative you were trying to spin to begin with.

You would most likely not have access to a vast majority of the information, not legitimately, anyway. I am not trying to make anything "political". "Politics" is a big part of the problem. Trying to put it aside is a good idea I think. I was trying to get to freedom of information, which seems limited at best.

I could show that if you like?, demonstrate, but you might not like it.

Just like with some of the realities of big pharma. Some people Wouldn't like it, or may refuse to even consider some reasoning. Reality sux in other ways than people will be able to believe sometimes. Money, and stuff, and things.

Also sometimes things are better than people can believe. I don't know too much, but when the story says 2+2=5, and some distractions thrown in... it's a reasonable time to be asking more questions. Deadly virus is very real, that is no question. Many other less obvious questions that really need asking, and they don't all have answers when they should. Also Questions sometimes that one might not even think needed to be asked?

I'm happy to help, where I can. It's kind of limited though. I am sorry. You are not alone. I am not alone... We are not alone.

#15501 3 years ago

I miss the 80's.

Anyway, so now I have family wanting to visit, and I am still (hell no), but I do not want to hurt any feelings so just making sure distance is kept.

I am dreading this worse than a trip to the dentist.

I love them, want to ne close, but hell no.

I have no clue if they have been being as careful as I have. They live in the country, I live in the suburbs.

And the big thing is that some people take this so lightly about the amount infected vs death rate...BUT, I have personally heard enough stories about just because they did not die and become another number, they was really sick and still having problems 2 months later.

I am sticking with being as careful as I can, because I do not want to at the worst die from this crap, or at best if I get it survive and still be messed up months later.

(and I guess some people are carriers, and never even know they have it, and they infect loved ones without even knowing it).

When I have time I will be as social as I can here.

But in real life, I am keeping distance.

#15503 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Yeah, that guy may be right but is definitely a Debbie Downer. For every guy like him, though, there are 4-5 that think an effective vaccine is possible. I doubt so many companies would be working on vaccines if they thought they were unlikely to work and vaccine and medical technology has advanced significantly in just the past 5-6 years.
SARS never had a vaccine largely because it burned out before it really got going and MERS is almost exclusively found in the Middle East and no where near as contagious as Covid19. There really hasn't been a concerted effort to develop vaccines for those diseases or they were halted early for the reasons I referenced.
Time will tell but even this guy in his negative analysis admitted that a vaccine could provide shorter term immunity that may not entirely prevent Covid but diminish symptoms. My guess is Covid may become like influenza, requiring an annual vaccine to boost immunity and try to account for any mutations. If we can make Covid as manageable as the flu with an annual vaccination, that is a win that will get us back to normal IMO.

Thanks for the reply and I agree with you.

It's my nature to gravitate towards good and hopeful news as I very much want a positive outcome and asap. Even though I'm aware of this personality trait I can sometimes allow myself to become pretty naive. A well written and reasoned article such as that helps keep me grounded. But I'm not invested in it.

#15504 3 years ago

First states to reopen are hitting record new cases numbers. As much as they may wish it to be so, increased testing does not explain away the spike.

Quote of the day:

“We really never quite finished the first wave,” Dr. Ashish Jha, a professor of global health at Harvard University, told NPR. “And it doesn’t look like we are going to anytime soon.”

#15505 3 years ago

Our number are going up and we don’t have a total number of tests being performed because we have so many private labs that don’t keep numbers. But the rate of positive tests have increased from 4.9% to now over 7.5%. Our total cases discovered numbers have set record high numbers four days in a row and 5 days total last week, and our hospitalization and ICU numbers are increasing steadily. We are in the immediate danger Houston is in right now, but we are drinking straight toward that ditch. And Governor Abbott won’t do a damned thing about it, and will fight Houston when they try to usurp his “Open it up big and wide” order.

#15506 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Our number are going up and we don’t have a total number of tests being performed because we have so many private labs that don’t keep numbers. But the rate of positive tests have increased from 4.9% to now over 7.5%. Our total cases discovered numbers have set record high numbers four days in a row and 5 days total last week, and our hospitalization and ICU numbers are increasing steadily. We are in the immediate danger Houston is in right now, but we are drinking straight toward that ditch. And Governor Abbott won’t do a damned thing about it, and will fight Houston when they try to usurp his “Open it up big and wide” order.

Oh. no worries, man.

The good doctor says a 2nd wave is not inevitable.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/13/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

" Fauci says second wave is 'not inevitable' as coronavirus cases climb in some states"

" Fauci also said there may not be a so-called second wave of Covid-19 cases as some health experts are predicting.

"It is not inevitable that you will have a so-called 'second wave' in the fall or even a massive increase if you approach it in the proper way," he said.

" He advised Americans to follow social distancing recommendations and to continue wearing masks in public, among other CDC guidelines.

Trust your leadership and send me a PM about that lake front property I would like to sell to you
===========================

You governor will do nothing because he is in good company.

Mnuchin said the country will not be closed down again. The economic pain of shutting is greater than the risk of the virus wiping us out---at this point in time, anyway.

#15507 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

You would most likely not have access to a vast majority of the information, not legitimately, anyway. I am not trying to make anything "political". "Politics" is a big part of the problem. Trying to put it aside is a good idea I think. I was trying to get to freedom of information, which seems limited at best.
I could show that if you like?, demonstrate, but you might not like it.
Just like with some of the realities of big pharma. Some people Wouldn't like it, or may refuse to even consider some reasoning. Reality sux in other ways than people will be able to believe sometimes. Money, and stuff, and things.
Also sometimes things are better than people can believe. I don't know too much, but when the story says 2+2=5, and some distractions thrown in... it's a reasonable time to be asking more questions. Deadly virus is very real, that is no question. Many other less obvious questions that really need asking, and they don't all have answers when they should. Also Questions sometimes that one might not even think needed to be asked?
I'm happy to help, where I can. It's kind of limited though. I am sorry. You are not alone. I am not alone... We are not alone.

This post was surprisingly worse than your last. To summarize:

"I don't believe any of your sources because it's so hard to get access to good information. I can help you to understand this, but I won't because you won't like what I say or refuse to believe what I say."

LoL. Please take a course in logic of you want to profess logic to others. The irony here is mentally painful. You literally hurt my brain.

#15508 3 years ago

Why? It's like the worst decade ever.

Even the last three months has been more real and relaxing than that stressed out, plastic period of time.

#15509 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Even the last three months has been more real and relaxing than that stressed out, plastic period of time.

I believe that the 20s, 50s, and 80s we're the best decades in the last 100+ years of our country.

#15510 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I believe that the 20s, 50s, and 80s we're the best decades in the last 100+ years of our country.

Since I've been alive it's been the 60s, 70s, 90s, 00s, and 10s. I would forget the 80s if I could. Although I did have plenty of fun and there was some good entertainment, the overall culture sure took a turn for the worse. And I guess we're still paying for some of that greed today. But it only lasted 10 years.

And it looks like some other bills will be coming due too. Ouch!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/70-old-man-hospitalized-covid-170112895.html

#15511 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

A statement like that deserves it’s own thread with a lengthy explanation.

#15512 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Prohibition, Ozzie & Harriet, and coked up yuppies. That’s a hell of a mix.

#15513 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He was probably young in the 80s.

The 70s were also a shit decade, but you think they were “magical,” for the same reason.

When you are a kid, everything is magical. You have no job or responsibilities and your whole life is ahead of you. When you get old everything sucks. Except the decade you grew up in of course.

#15514 3 years ago

A few points in response to some of the posts over the last week:

Why are so many people saying my country/state/county did better than yours?
It's not like anyone making those judgements had any factor in the decisions being made.

Why are people looking at death per capita figures now? This has a loooong way to go yet. It's like judging the results of a sports match after 30seconds.

"Flattening the curve" only reduces the deaths where the hospitals dont get overwhelmed, the total area under the curve (hence deaths) is likely to not significantly be changed. It's just whether the majority if people die at the start of the outbreak or later on.

That herd immunity can only be achieved once a vaccine is found (and 80% of the population take it) is just not factually correct. A vaccine 'tricks' the body into thinking that it has the full blown disease and this produces antibodies - exactly the same result as if the body had the 'naturally-occurring' disease.

I will predict that the number of deaths directly attributed to flu will be significantly lower over the coming years for a number of reasons.
The majority of those who would have succumbed to flu will already have succumbed to Covid.
The social distancing and hygiene regiments put in place to combat Covid will also slow the spread of flu, not just Covid.

#15515 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Why, may I ask? You were not around for the 20s, possibly not here for the 50s. Why do those two decades jazz you?

#15516 3 years ago

One other reason is in the 80s the arcades were full of spoiled punks playing video games, and pinball had become a sideshow almost nowhere to be found compared to what it had been and would be again in the 90s.

Quoted from gambit3113:

and coked up yuppies.

That too.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The 70s were also a shit decade, but you think they were “magical,” for the same reason.
When you are a kid, everything is magical.

I guess I was still a kid in the 90s? Which to me was way more relaxed and enjoyable than the 80s. And when a lot of culture came from the heart and became real again. No real complaints though as I made the best of times no matter what else was going on. Just didn't really care for the rat race, stressed out people, and plastic environment that was prevalent throughout the 80s. Not to mention all the neon.

And the "Just Say No" campaign was the absolute worst. It took years to get past that and finally start legalizing weed.

#15517 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

This post was surprisingly worse than your last. To summarize:
"I don't believe any of your sources because it's so hard to get access to good information. I can help you to understand this, but I won't because you won't like what I say or refuse to believe what I say."
LoL. Please take a course in logic of you want to profess logic to others. The irony here is mentally painful. You literally hurt my brain.

It's kinda funny really, your reply actualy doesn't follow much logic. All you have done is Pretend to quote me, which you have not, only Misquoted, made it seem as if I said things I did not, and show your own shortcomings for logic. Maybe try testing your sources, rather than just thoughtlessly swallowing whatever is plopped in front of you?. Yes information can be harder depending the geographic location, no issues here, but not all are so lucky. One of your mistakes appears to be poor assumptions. Translated my words to mean your own thing, to reflect only yourself.

If you read a little more carefully, I in fact said I can demonstrate, as a Question. I guessed some would not like it, I never said I would not demonstrate if a demonstration was wanted. If you believe big pharma is rainbows and unicorns, you may not like it. Some simply don't want to know, it's just too hard to process. That's all.

Please correct your misquoting, thank you.

I really am happy to help where possible. I can understand too, why people would get a bit upset at realising they've been hoodwinked. Cheer up though, it's not all bad news!.

This is a meta example for you, of what can fool people, the mentality, hopefuly simple and very easy to understand:

Read the comments. It's worth it. Tries to put a lighter spin on something dodgy, slightly comical at the same time as not trying to make people feel stupid, it is very well done. For some people there is hope, and their eyes may open. There's some basic lessons or arguments for logic in there, I hope it helps in some way mate. Honestly.

For Most people this vid is just some light hearted entertainment. Some highlights of the clip: "Hopefully you are familiar with Rain", and "Oceans don't have wings!" ... I lost it Pmsl

#15518 3 years ago

China is having some challenges with Covid-19

They all look to be wearing masks.

#15519 3 years ago

My favorites were the Renaissance Era followed by the Industrial Revolution. I'd rather forget about the Stone Age but that Barney Rubble was pretty cool.

#15520 3 years ago

Well, if we're discussing the 80s and Barney Rubble. I had to go knock on a neighbor's door and speak to them around '85. The neighbor lady answered the door and said something back to me. She saw the look in my eye that she must have had to endure when she spoke to people and said, "yes, I'm Wilma". I never really noticed her. Was probably a type of shut in back then. She must have retired in San Clemente like half the towns population at the time.

#15521 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

One other reason is in the 80s the arcades were full of spoiled punks playing video games, and pinball had become a sideshow almost nowhere to be found compared to what it had been and would be again in the 90s.

That too.

I guess I was still a kid in the 90s? Which to me was way more relaxed and enjoyable than the 80s. And when a lot of culture came from the heart and became real again. No real complaints though as I made the best of times no matter what else was going on. Just didn't really care for the rat race, stressed out people, and plastic environment that was prevalent throughout the 80s. Not to mention all the neon.
And the "Just Say No" campaign was the absolute worst. It took years to get past that and finally start legalizing weed.

William S. Sessions
RIP just passed away.
220px-Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs (resized).png220px-Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs (resized).png

#15523 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

The 20's had it going on. Relief from WWHell. Unbridaled optimism and Consumer re-surgence. Dancing Girls are back flapping at Men.
My favorite is Calvin Coolidge, the Model President. He didn't have any use for phones, they sent runners out to the River where he was fly fishing to keep him updated. Didn't get involved unless the States Leadership absolutely couldn't handle it.
Nicknamed "Silent Cal", didn't mince, or waste words. His mode of operation was "Just handle it".
The Stock Market was rolling and made many people rich, until it didn't.
A Period of innovation that brought us several thousand years of evolution in ten years.
I know my Grandmother was extremely happy to see the Spanish Flu gone, my Great Uncle WW1.

#15524 3 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

The major difference is the mandatory lockdown vs personally responsibility to follow the recommendations stated by the health departement.

Interestingly the original goal of the New Zealand lockdown was to prevent our public health system from being overrun until we could get more ppe, ventilators, trained staff etc.
NZ has the advantage of being an island. The steps taken won’t necessarily work in countries with land borders or larger populations.
You may find this article interesting. A sort of epidemiologist debate.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12335221

Perhaps one thing Sweden’s epidemiologists underestimate is that more stringent measures buy you time.
Time to learn; more about the virus, how to prevent its spread, to develop treatments or vaccines etc.

#15525 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

The 20's had it going on. Relief from WWHell. Unbridaled optimism and Consumer re-surgence. Dancing Girls are back flapping at Men.

I hear the Roaring 20s, man. They sure knew how to party! And although I wasn't alive, I get the 50s too. Lots of postwar growth and fun in both.

But the 80s? Sorry, I just don't see it. Unless borrowing from the future to make a bunch of people rich and selfish and ending the decade in another economic slump anyway and that Contra deal is what it's all about. Not to mention that may be the decade Detroit turned out the worst quality cars ever.

#15526 3 years ago

80+81+82+83+84+85+86+87+88+89 = 845 Pretty much sums up the 80s for me

#15527 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200614-150338~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200614-150338~2 (resized).png
#15528 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

All you have done is Pretend to quote me, which you have not, only Misquoted, made it seem as if I said things I did not, and show your own shortcomings for logic. Maybe try testing your sources, rather than just thoughtlessly swallowing whatever is plopped in front of you?. Yes information can be harder depending the geographic location, no issues here, but not all are so lucky. One of your mistakes appears to be poor assumptions. Translated my words to mean your own thing, to reflect only yourself.
If you read a little more carefully, I in fact said I can demonstrate, as a Question. I guessed some would not like it, I never said I would not demonstrate if a demonstration was wanted. If you believe big pharma is rainbows and unicorns, you may not like it. Some simply don't want to know, it's just too hard to process. That's all.
Please correct your misquoting, thank you.
I really am happy to help where possible. I can understand too, why people would get a bit upset at realising they've been hoodwinked. Cheer up though, it's not all bad news!.
This is a meta example for you, of what can fool people, the mentality, hopefuly simple and very easy to understand:

Read the comments. It's worth it. Tries to put a lighter spin on something dodgy, slightly comical at the same time as not trying to make people feel stupid, it is very well done. For some people there is hope, and their eyes may open. There's some basic lessons or arguments for logic in there, I hope it helps in some way mate. Honestly.
For Most people this vid is just some light hearted entertainment. Some highlights of the clip: "Hopefully you are familiar with Rain", and "Oceans don't have wings!" ... I lost it Pmsl

Summarization is a form of interpretation, not quotation, and I never offered an opinion on your content, just the logic or lack thereof.

Who_Are_You_Who_Are_So_Wise_In_The_Ways_Of_Science_Banner (resized).jpgWho_Are_You_Who_Are_So_Wise_In_The_Ways_Of_Science_Banner (resized).jpg
#15529 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Summarization is a form of interpretation, not quotation, and I never offered an opinion on your content, just the logic or lack thereof. [quoted image]

As with many "interpreted" sumarisations, it misrepresents and confuses the reference text, rather than actually sumarising it. Your sumary shows you did not actually read the text very well. Just over reacted, and left a sumarising misquote for everyone to read.

I digress... I'm okay with it. Just letting you know, you know.

#15530 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

...I could show that if you like?, demonstrate, but you might not like it.
Just like with some of the realities of big pharma. Some people Wouldn't like it, or may refuse to even consider some reasoning. ...

Quoted from Tranquilize:

I never offered an opinion on your content, just the logic or lack thereof. [quoted image]

I think the "interpretation" would have opinion come into it, don't you?

Here we have a reference to pharma and influences. Sydney has some interesting videos on a variety of topics, this one is only 15 minutes but covers alot, and it is concerning. Also at 4:35 you can find a direct reference to general information availability, or lack of it in some cases.

Sydney is Australian/American, she's great

Also for reference to the reality of media shortcomings, her vid "That Time I Got Screwed Over By The Fake News Media" is kind of concerning.

It is good to ask questions. If you don't ask questions then how can there be answers? . Yes I have asked more than my fair share of questions, and no I do not always find answers.

But it's worth a shot! ... every day is a school day.

#15531 3 years ago

Razoredge, Tranquilize: please keep the thread on topic / take it to PM, thanks.

#15532 3 years ago

A few months ago I saw a similar visualization of cause of death over time in USA. Below is a global one from January thru May. As horrible as the events behind the data are, I find these little presentations visually pleasing.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2637725/

#15533 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

A few months ago I saw a similar visualization of cause of death over time in USA. Below is a global one from January thru May. As horrible as the events behind the data are, I find these little presentations visually pleasing.

That is interesting to see/watch.

#15534 3 years ago

Previous decades are like runway behind you and altitude above you when you are flying a plane. They don't matter too much.

Learn to enjoy what is happening now and do something to enjoy life in the future. Even if you have to wear a mask doing it!

#15535 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Interesting. Would be even more interesting if it could include the last 3 weeks as well.

#15536 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When you are a kid, everything is magical. You have no job or responsibilities and your whole life is ahead of you. When you get old everything sucks. Except the decade you grew up in of course.

Right in the feels.

#15537 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

William S. Sessions
RIP just passed away.
[quoted image]

You heard it, winners! Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

seriously though R.I.P.

#15538 3 years ago
Quoted from toastbot:

You heard it, winners! Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
seriously though R.I.P.

Yep...a whole decade of just saying no and he died anyway!

#15539 3 years ago

Several Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans players have tested positive for Covid-19.

Screenshot_20200615-114640~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200615-114640~2 (resized).png
#15540 3 years ago

More from the fake news site.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/media/coronavirus-pandemic-reliable-sources/index.html

"Three months of the pandemic: 'We can't get acclimated to losing 800 to 1,000 Americans every single day"

" Part of the danger is that "we get used to a certain baseline level of sickness and death, and it only makes news when things start to get better or worse," Dr. James Hamblin told me. "We can't get acclimated to losing 800 to 1,000 Americans every single day, which is what's happening right now."

#15541 3 years ago

So who among us would sign up to join 20,000 other people to scream and spit in a packed arena?

I’m trying to think of what would be important enough to make me risk that this coming weekend. Maybe a Pink Floyd reunion?

Band would probably never do it though. No band wants to kill their own fans, and they’d get way too much blowback in the press.

Premature efforts to fill arenas falls in line with phase 4:

https://local.theonion.com/city-enters-phase-4-of-pretending-coronavirus-over-1844037065?utm_campaign=The+Onion&utm_content=1592238609&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR25GWkXVDRFBPeEBz1yltmfKZu19FToEFowH0pQ5CgLvdbQNVsz5C9e8Ss

#15542 3 years ago

I know we were all kind of over it - even the hardcores - but does this put the tired Hydrocloroquine hoax to bed forever?

FDA has revoked its certificate. Due to the uselessness and death and all.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/politics/fda-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus/index.html

#15543 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know we were all kind of over it - even the hardcores - but does this out the Hydrocloroquine hoax to bed forever?

Heck no, I've heard some really positive things about it.

#15544 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know we were all kind of over it - even the hardcores - but does this out the Hydrocloroquine hoax to bed forever?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/politics/fda-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus/index.html

What is all the talk of "treatment"?

There seems to be differing stories everywhere. Prevention is a Very different thing than treatment. Unrelated stuff accidentally mixed together?. I thought they worked out this stuff increases mortality for Sufferers ages ago?

Is there any info on its effectiveness for Preventing people from Contracting of covid19?

#15545 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

What is all the talk of "treatment"?
There seems to be differing stories everywhere. Prevention is a Very different thing than treatment. Unrelated stuff accidentally mixed together?. I thought they worked out this stuff increases mortality for Sufferers ages ago?
Is there any info on its effectiveness for Preventing people from Contracting of covid19?

It's apparently an effective drug for Malaria and Lupus sufferers.

It's apparently useless - and even harmful - for COVID sufferers, which is why FDA removed it's emergency use certificate.

I think most of realized that months ago but nice to see the FDA catch up.

#15546 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So who among us would sign up to join 20,000 other people to scream and spit in a packed arena?
I’m trying to think of what would be important enough to make me risk that this coming weekend. Maybe a Pink Floyd reunion?
Band would probably never do it though. No band wants to kill their own fans, and they’d get way too much blowback in the press.
Premature efforts to fill arenas falls in line with phase 4:
https://local.theonion.com/city-enters-phase-4-of-pretending-coronavirus-over-1844037065?utm_campaign=The+Onion&utm_content=1592238609&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR25GWkXVDRFBPeEBz1yltmfKZu19FToEFowH0pQ5CgLvdbQNVsz5C9e8Ss

I already saw Pink Floyd. Great show.

It would take Led Zeppelin to get me on board and take the risk.

#15547 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

There seems to be differing stories everywhere

I cannot imagine.

#15548 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's apparently an effective drug for Malaria and Lupus sufferers.
It's apparently useless - and even harmful - for COVID sufferers, which is why FDA removed it's emergency use certificate.
I think most of realized that months ago but nice to see the FDA catch up.

That seems to be the way it is yes.

But, that word prevention is missing again? ... sufferers, already have it, don't they?

Seems like half of the hydroxy chlora whatever discussion about usefulness is just, missing?

#15549 3 years ago
Quoted from 7oxford:

Interestingly the original goal of the New Zealand lockdown was to prevent our public health system from being overrun until we could get more ppe, ventilators, trained staff etc.
NZ has the advantage of being an island. The steps taken won’t necessarily work in countries with land borders or larger populations.
You may find this article interesting. A sort of epidemiologist debate.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12335221
Perhaps one thing Sweden’s epidemiologists underestimate is that more stringent measures buy you time.
Time to learn; more about the virus, how to prevent its spread, to develop treatments or vaccines etc.

Interesting article and thats a lot of calculations and assumtions, a fast summary by that epidemiologist suggests that the fatality rate is 1%, about the same as Neil Ferguson from the Imperial College says.

His conclusion about the herd immunity goal is plain wrong though, we know that there will be a level of immunity but how much and for how long is unknown and the economy was more or less shut down for 2 month in Sweden, a lot of economical packages has been implemented to prevent a complete disaster and since larger gatherings than 50 people is banned and Sweden exports a lot there will still be a major income loss but this part is not of importance.

I fully agree on that a short lockdown has its advantages like you are saying, this may have been a costly mistake by Sweden.
Some countries had to make a lockdown because it was too late and their hospitals was overwhelmed, some just did what everyone else was doing, some did it in pure panic and some headed for this path intentionally, in most countries the decision was made by politicians, this may have been a life saver in the long run that some countries wasnt even aware of at the time.

His statement that other countries has to refocus its efforts and eliminate the virus is something to consider, it would be interesting to know his thoughts about why other countries are opening up and not waiting for a vaccine since its wrong to slow down the spreading like his conclusions are.

Sweden may end up being the big mistake like a lot of media and people are saying but without a vaccine its a bit too soon to draw thoose conclusions, if you look beyond the headlines youll find that the difference isnt really as big as you may believe.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 311 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/311?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.