272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 308 of 576.
#15350 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

This mutates and returns to kill people in 1918 numbers (millions) would you consider it an act of War?
Or if proof comes out it was intentionally released?

If the virus was distributed by Aliens or by the CIA, how would you feel about that? I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just curious.
I think all the 'what ifs' and 'what abouts' (some completely other subject) are just a way to distract from all the current problems itself, and it works, for there's always lots people willing to listen to those for somehow it makes us feel we can blame the ones we want to blame.

#15352 3 years ago

How many states require masks basically everywhere? Required in RI, except for walking on the street (Excluding Newport), running etc...

#15353 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Guys you dont have to be scared to go get a bite to eat or to go in a store, that is just ridiculous. All you have to do is try and keep your distance from people a little bit. Stop living your life in fear. Take precautions and be smart but dont be scared. This isnt the Spanish flu guys.

Mostly agree and I gave you a thumbs up. Too early to compare to Spanish Flu IMO.

I had a 2 martini lunch downtown with a girlfriend today and I'm following restaurant/state suggested protocols. I still wear a mask where required but I'm no longer being anal and paranoid about it. 6 foot distancing I've cut back to 3 in certain circumstances and most everyone I see out is doing the same. Pretty sure 3 feet is the WHO suggestion anyway.

Also, I'm no longer wearing a mask when outdoors hiking or biking as new information says it's now very low risk. But I still carry a mask for unexpected situations.

I'm not telling others what to do, I'm just trying to find some balance for myself based on evolving information. For my own sanity, I need to take back some control in my life.

I'm Mr. Vodka and I approve of this message.

#15354 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This isnt the Spanish flu guys.

No, it’s worse and we have the information needed to reduce exposure and minimize risk to others. Unfortunately, too many believe they are immune or need to do anything for anyone but themselves.

#15355 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

How many states require masks basically everywhere?

This is America where requirement is one thing, but people doing it is another.

Quoted from jfh:

No, it’s worse and we have the information needed to reduce exposure and minimize risk to others.

The Spanish flu took a pause after the weather heated up in the summer of 1918 in the northern hemisphere, but came back with a vengeance during the fall after it had mutated.

There is no summer pause for this coronavirus. The only pause it had was when people were staying home and taking it seriously. And in places that fully shut down because of major outbreaks.

#15356 3 years ago
Quoted from sven:

If the virus was distributed by Aliens or by the CIA, how would you feel about that? I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just curious.
I think all the 'what ifs' and 'what abouts' (some completely other subject) are just a way to distract from all the current problems itself, and it works, for there's always lots people willing to listen to those for somehow it makes us feel we can blame the ones we want to blame.

That reads just fine no matter what way a reader might have been, errr, "educated"! ... all levels of awareness can take something from your post. Well done indeed!

Now if only more people could start to pay objective attention, discover some of the obscured issues that Really Matter, until finally a majority might begin to acknowledge what is actually wrong with the place!!

Unfortunately people are too easily distracted by interesting nonsense, false flags, and the chariot racing Lol

#15357 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

No, it’s worse and we have the information needed to reduce exposure and minimize risk to others. Unfortunately, too many believe they are immune or need to do anything for anyone but themselves.

You're crazy. The Spanish Flu killed 50 million people.

#15358 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I can't believe Goodwill is open! I know Oregon's numbers have been low, but I'm a regular Goodwill shopper and I can't imagine going there right now (and the one by my house is definitely still closed). The whole experience shopping at Goodwill flipping through records and clothes is touching things that hundreds of other of people have all just recently touched too. It creeps me out now even thinking about it.

Yeah I was astonished too! I don't know if the normal 'retail' Goodwills are opened or not, but the outlet was. Honestly there's enough space in there to spread out that, combined with obligatory gloves/masks, it's probably safer than a lot of the more standard places. Not that that says much, given what we know about how it spreads indoors with the aid of HVAC systems. Either way, certainly felt like they were doing a better job of managing it than, say, Safeway.

I popped in since I was in the neighborhood, was curious what measures they were taking, and let's face it missed the place a lot since I love digging through all of that old crap... Not sure if I'll be back again anytime soon though. It's by no means essential, just a way to make some cool finds occasionally and generate a little extra cash flipping stuff on eBay.

#15359 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

What possible reason could China have to purposefully release a virus that wipes out the economy of every trading partner as well as their own?

I never mentioned China. It was an informal Poll-type question to see what people think, no matter who the alleged culprit.

#15360 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How could you trust "the proof"?
Which news source would anybody/everybody believe?

A scientific consensus from a majority of affected Countries. An appeal process from minor Countries.
Look, war is the last thing I want. I have become anti-war just because History shows it changes little for the better. WW2 was for the right reason, WW1 was sketchy from the beginning and caused more problems than it was worth. No, we don't need no more wars, unless the evidence was damning.
One more while I'm here, the movement away from facial recognition systems by the major players comes at a time a lot of people are wearing masks.

#15361 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This is America where requirement is one thing, but people doing it is another.

There is no summer pause for this coronavirus. The only pause it had was when people were staying home and taking it seriously. And in places that fully shut down because of major outbreaks.

both very sad, yet very true statements

#15362 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

What possible reason could China have to purposefully release a virus that wipes out the economy of every trading partner as well as their own?

That’s very rational and probably true, but don’t underestimate the insane levels of nationalism, racism, and resentment over the last 400 years that exists there. You wouldn’t believe the crap I used to hear when I lived there. There’s no doubt in my mind the virus existed in a lab and was being studied for military purposes.

And be clear, China is making trillions off of this. From PPE to scooping up every European and US company that is being destroyed and facing bankruptcy they are scooping up everything they feel is worthwhile including US oil rights.

So, yeah probably you’re right. But they are benefitting. And dont forget. They lose 300 million people it’s not a dent on in their population. We lose 300 million we are done.

#15363 3 years ago
Quoted from sven:

I get what you're trying to say to a point but the reality is China's governments handling of the outbreak and downplaying its severity cost the world valuable time and made things worse than they needed to be. They say they didn't know about it until late December (but oer the linked article, US reports about the outbreak go back to late November) and that only 6k in China have died from Covid. Both are proven lies. That isn't politics, it is just reality.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/intelligence-report-warned-coronavirus-crisis-early-november-sources/story?id=70031273

Where I will agree with you is that right now isn't the time to address all of these issues. Thatt time will come once this is behind us and this global nightmare ends. At that time, China should be asked a lot of questions by the world and held accountable for their missteps and lack of transparency.

#15364 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

It was going to be picture of the year...until...[quoted image]

Great picture!. Minus the dog photo bomb

#15365 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Guys you dont have to be scared to go get a bite to eat or to go in a store, that is just ridiculous. All you have to do is try and keep your distance from people a little bit. Stop living your life in fear. Take precautions and be smart but dont be scared. This isnt the Spanish flu guys.

Actually I think it is at least the equivalent or Spanish Flu. We never took anywhere near the precautions with Spanish Flu we have with Covid. Imagine how many more would have died without the stay at home orders and precautions we've taken so far. This isn't over yet either...

#15366 3 years ago

The safe and warm feeling of holding onto hope that a boogeyman created the virus in order to achieve a nefarious goal is much more comforting than the overwhelmingly most likely truth: shit happens and the Earth throws a purge our way every century or two, we have become far too dangerously reliant on meat sources and live animal propagation to maintain any measure of safety with regard to cross-species contamination, and nobody is in charge and in control other than the dipshits we see practicing dipshitery on a daily basis. Chaos sucks.

#15367 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The Spanish Flu killed 50 million people.

In the second wave. The first wave was around 3 million. Thinking what the world's population was at the time, that is certainly way worse than what we have experienced so far. But there was a war going on and a lot of soldiers were spreading it around from country to country. For anybody that has not read up on that pandemic yet, it is a very interesting and educational read.

Today's news announced the spikes caused by Memorial Day are starting to hit hard in many states with hospitals being swamped. The results of all the protests over the last two weeks and the country's reopenings are yet to be determined. Stay tuned...

I will add I don't mind if I have to stay home for another year or as long as it takes. Plenty to do around here. The economy's outlook on the other hand is not looking so good.

#15368 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

We never took anywhere near the precautions with Spanish Flu we have with Covid. Imagine how many more would have died without the stay at home orders and precautions we've taken so far.

Does any of this look familiar?

5e87bb48b9fcb.image (resized).jpg5e87bb48b9fcb.image (resized).jpg

TVB2IUGEGJHYJDA3HNSXUODOZU (resized).jpgTVB2IUGEGJHYJDA3HNSXUODOZU (resized).jpg

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

EV_7ZdpVcAAz97M (resized).jpgEV_7ZdpVcAAz97M (resized).jpg

4187. (resized).jpg4187. (resized).jpg

#15369 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

For several years I have purchased a Six Flags pass and dining pass, and because I have a Six Flags just 5 miles away I was going there pretty much every night, just to get free meals. (not bad, turkey legs, bone in hot wings, pizza, etc.)

Okay, virus aside this sounds like a cool life hack. I am looking on their site now to see what that would cost. I don't live near one so I'll never do it. But, with time it takes to park vehicle, gain access to the park etc. was this relatively cost/ time effective to get your meals on site most nights? I suppose you'd look for the right times to go so it doesn't take the better part of an hour getting there and getting out, waiting in line.

#15370 3 years ago

Conversation we had at home this morning.

Me: ok, time for a short lesson
Kids: but it's summer
Me: When you stayed home from school, I stayed home to be your teacher. You're still home, I'm still home. Time for school.
Kids: ....Pinball?
Me: ok, but just for a bit then time for reading comprehension.

I think I am nailing this homeschooling.

#15371 3 years ago

The 1918 mutation was rare, luckily. These things tend to mutate in a way to lessen human immune response, thus become less severe versus more so. This one isn’t going anywhere for summer, unfortunately, though. It’s going to be more of a slow burn than the 1918 second wave head-on crash. But the worst is yet to come, for sure. Parts of Arizona are cruisin’ for a bruisin’ right now. Texas has a shitload of hospitals in Houston and DFW, but those numbers are rising. I’m so much more concerned now than I was 2 and 3 months ago.

#15372 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Also remembering that the "Spanish Flu" is called that simply because they were the first to Not keep it a Secret. The "Spanish Flu" traces back to other side of the world, Alabama...

Same goes for the "Chyna virus", first reported there, but more likely came from <insert speculation here>. Unlikely that "someone" wanting to "release" a lab experiment would choose their own country to do that.

Now that you think about it ....

Hmmmmm, nope, don't think about it.

#15373 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Also remembering that the "Spanish Flu" is called that simply because they were the first to Not keep it a Secret.

They were one of the only countries in Europe not involved with the war, and many that were tried to keep a secret.

Prior to the second wave hitting, the secret was already out for months, and like today, many thought it was over or winding down. So again, like today, people stopped quarantining and let their guard down. Then shit hit the fan.

Difference being America had a relatively low infection and death count compared to the rest of the world in that one. But we apparently want to be number one this time.

#15374 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

The safe and warm feeling of holding onto hope that a boogeyman created the virus in order to achieve a nefarious goal is much more comforting than the overwhelmingly most likely truth

Yup, Adam Ruins Everything has a great episode about Conspiracy Theories. I am a big fan of the show. (It's an educational/comedy television series that aims to debunk all sorts of misconceptions that pervade society.) Check out that episode. Probably available OnDemand or some streaming service.

#15376 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

And I thought Split Enz knew all .

#15377 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You can’t compare one thing that’s over, and another Thing that’s still active and have any level of confidence with your statement. Talk to me when this is over, then we’ll know how many people it killed.

That’s like comparing Studebaker and tesla. Who’s built more cars?

Quoted from o-din:

But we apparently want to be number one this time.

“You’re going to win so much that you’ll be tired of winning“ that’s the quote right? Are you tired of winning yet?

#15378 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

You can’t compare one thing that’s over, and another Thing that’s still active and have any level of confidence with your statement. Talk to me when this is over, then we’ll know how many people it killed.
That’s like comparing Studebaker and tesla. Who’s built more cars?

“You’re going to win so much that you’ll be tired of winning“ that’s the quote right? Are you tired of winning yet?

Tired of winning? Yes.

Do I want to lose our lead? Uh, no, I don't want that either.

Can we all join the same team and try to end this "game" ASAP?

#15379 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

IF;
This mutates and returns to kill people in 1918 numbers (millions) would you consider it an act of War?
Or if proof comes out it was intentionally released?
Not trying to start anything, just curious. After everything else occurring this year thats about all thats left.

An interesting read from 2015 regarding the secrecy and safety of Biolabs level 3 and 4.
I personally don't think it was released intentionally, but you have to wonder what our tax dollars are breeding inside those facilities. If our USA labs are good to above good in keeping stuff in, makes you wonder about other countries...I understand nature can run rampant, but when we manipulate it look out.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/05/28/biolabs-pathogens-location-incidents/26587505/

"You're talking about something that has the ability to take off and we could not be confident of being able to contain it."
David Relman, microbiology professor at Stanford

Also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_Island_Animal_Disease_Center

#15380 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Conversation we had at home this morning.
Me: ok, time for a short lesson
Kids: but it's summer
Me: When you stayed home from school, I stayed home to be your teacher. You're still home, I'm still home. Time for school.
Kids: ....Pinball?
Me: ok, but just for a bit then time for reading comprehension.
I think I am nailing this homeschooling.

Studying the rule set of MM and MB can cover reading comprehension, math, strategy, and some risk analysis - I think you are nailing it!

#15381 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Studying the rule set of MM

I don't know about this one. Seems like the equivalent of having a substitute teacher and getting to watch a movie. How long does it really take to explain the entire ruleset?

Complete ruleset of MM:
Shoot the castle

#15383 3 years ago

Give us a kiss

#15384 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

An interesting read from 2015 regarding the secrecy and safety of Biolabs level 3 and 4.
I personally don't think it was released intentionally, but you have to wonder what our tax dollars are breeding inside those facilities. If our USA labs are good to above good in keeping stuff in, makes you wonder about other countries...I understand nature can run rampant, but when we manipulate it look out.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/05/28/biolabs-pathogens-location-incidents/26587505/
"You're talking about something that has the ability to take off and we could not be confident of being able to contain it."
David Relman, microbiology professor at Stanford
Also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_Island_Animal_Disease_Center

During the "Early days" of Covid I read an article and viewed several videos stating employees at the Wuhan lab sold lab animals to the wet Market to earn extra cash. It is important to save information while a crisis forms since most of it will be edited, altered or downright expunged.
I consider NK a more viable candidate to do something nefarious, especially after the Premier promising a "Christmas Present" to the World in November 2019.
No matter, we all know Wars start from a contrived story embellished with sketchy evidence (in most cases), it doesn't matter what is truth. The economy brings about sabre rattling much quicker than a pandemic.
Still looking for further information regarding UNC -Chapel Hills' involvement in isolating and refining Covid samples before sending them to Canada for further refinement before moving them to Wuhan. Looks like there is a lid on this information but the initial information is still available.

#15385 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Define "did not fail"?
- Sweden: 4795 deaths (as of today)
- Finland: 324
- Norway: 235
Keeping in mind that that the Population of Finland (5.5 millions) + Norway (5.3 millions) > Sweden.
In other words, Sweden strategy costed over 4000 additional lives, for a population of only 10.2 millions.
It will be interesting to see how much these three economies will be affected and, assuming Sweden fare better than Norway or Finland, how much money was saved thanks to the sacrifice of 4000 people. Then you'll know how much a life was worth.

Sweden is doing the best of the current situation to improve and protect the nursing homes, they have been a victim of cost cutting by politicians over the years which shows right now in its worst way, its a shame that some of the ones who built this country with hard work now has to make the final sacrifice because of that.
Some countries has been hit harder than others over the world due to different reasons, death cant be justified but its a bit odd that Sweden can only be compared to Norway and Finland nowadays and that its certain that neighbour countries will get about equal number of death..

#15387 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

We'll see what happens by the time this is over. The US is headed in a bad direction right now.

What will be different is we'll likeky have a vaccine available end of this year or early next.

#15388 3 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

Sweden is doing the best of the current situation to improve and protect the nursing homes, they have been a victim of cost cutting by politicians over the years which shows right now in its worst way, its a shame that some of the ones who built this country with hard work now has to make the final sacrifice because of that.
Some countries has been hit harder than others over the world due to different reasons, death cant be justified but its a bit odd that Sweden can only be compared to Norway and Finland nowadays and that its certain that neighbour countries will get about equal number of death..

Yeah but Sweden's deaths per 100k put it near the top in Europe. Don't worry, though. We are following the Swedish model here in the US now and will undoubtedly become the highest per 100k in the world if we're not there already.

#15390 3 years ago

I linked a similar if not same story the other day, amazing how smart some folks are to think to use data like this!

#15391 3 years ago

Harvard doctor expects COVID-19 deaths will rise to 200,000 in September
https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/06/11/harvard-ashish-jha-covid-19-death-toll-september

The last update by the White House Coronavirus Task Force was a month ago. WTF?

#15392 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Yeah, it's very odd. It's like they've completely washed their hands of it and are leaving it entirely up to the individual states now.

#15393 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

So what are they going to do if hospitals in many areas are overrun and hospital beds run out? Maybe they should have thought about what measures they needed to take to keep the economy open before rushing to reopen.

Build hospital beds like they did in New York, which of course they didn't use.

#15394 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I linked a similar if not same story the other day, amazing how smart some folks are to think to use data like this!

Post 15275, you did. Sorry about that. I try to scan everyone.

#15395 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Harvard doctor expects COVID-19 deaths will rise to 200,000 in September
https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/06/11/harvard-ashish-jha-covid-19-death-toll-september

A really good friend of mine told me on the phone this is no worse than flu. We graduated from PT school together. He is still in the PT field, I've been out for 20 years. He is required to wear mask, face shield, and gown to see his rehab PT outpatients. Has been exposed to Covid positive patients 4x. Been tested after each exposure as they contact trace everyone, negative each time - thank goodness for his PPE.

I asked him why his employer goes to such expense if this is no big deal. Asked if he believed the 4 month Covid mortality number of 110k dead, which is worse than any full year flu number in the last 10 years, was in error. If he had read about young people that had strokes and other cardiovascular issues from Covid.

He did not dispute the figures or information, but went to an anecdotal defense of his belief. Says he knew a 93 yo and a 90 yo that both got over it and doesn't know anyone personally that has died. Says he thinks he might have had it already (no antibody test) and it wasn't a big deal. sigh.

#15396 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yeah, it's very odd. It's like they've completely washed their hands of it and are leaving it entirely up to the individual states now.

But they only sang "Happy Birthday" once while washing them, so... not over.

#15397 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Yeah but Sweden's deaths per 100k put it near the top in Europe. Don't worry, though. We are following the Swedish model here in the US now and will undoubtedly become the highest per 100k in the world if we're not there already.

Ok, by that I assume you mean practice social distancing, flattening the curve to help healthcare manage the situation and protect the old and vulnerable.
It looks like Sweden will climb higher as well.

#15398 3 years ago

When someone gets too close to me...

Screenshot_20200611-152501~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200611-152501~2 (resized).png
#15399 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Post 15275, you did. Sorry about that. I try to scan everyone.

Oh, not to worry, it was worth repeating. Fascinating how people think of things to analyze!

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 308 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/308?hl=utesichiban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.