272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 306 of 576.
#15250 3 years ago

Like an Invasion!!

#15251 3 years ago

Cognitive dissonance resolution mental gymnastics displayed on this thread range from routine to entertaining to alarming.

It's cool that people share what gets them to resolution when presented with conflicting information. It's one of the main reasons I read the thread.

#15252 3 years ago

Can you eat those? I guess it would be better than a mass of giant coconut crabs.

ImpartialEssentialBushsqueaker-size_restricted.gifImpartialEssentialBushsqueaker-size_restricted.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif
#15253 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Cognitive dissonance resolution mental gymnastics displayed on this thread range from routine to entertaining to alarming.
It's cool that people share what gets them to resolution when presented with conflicting information. It's one of the main reasons I read the thread.

You don't read it for the crab pics?

#15254 3 years ago

Cases and deaths are continuing to go down here in Michigan. I know our governor here received a lot of criticism for the extent of the lockdown but I do think it saved lives. There's other states that opened earlier and didn't have as many restrictions but cases and deaths are going up in many of them. Metro Detroit and the Grand Rapids area was hit very hard by Covid-19.

One of the worst things, besides the loss of life of course, that is coming out of this is the affect on some people's jobs / careers. My neighbor is a tool and die maker and was furloughed for two months. Well, he got called back to work only to be told he's laid off along with 20% of the company. A cousin of mine in a different industry also saw 20% of his company laid off. While many companies are bringing back workers many are not bringing back all of them.

#15255 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

We're having a mass gathering at the moment . Thousands of giant spider crabs getting together .
Nobody is going to tell them what to do .

Crab lives matter!

30377_steamed_blue_crabs (resized).jpg30377_steamed_blue_crabs (resized).jpg
#15256 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Cases and deaths are continuing to go down here in Michigan.

Meanwhile Arizona's ICUs are almost at max capacity and predicting being overrun in the next couple weeks. So much for hot dry weather and summer slowing this down.

Been watching and it looks like the European/east coast version of this virus has been creeping west. And Russia, Mexico, and Brazil are in a world of hurt right now.

#15257 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Can you eat those?

Yep , they had to close the pier down twice because too many people were trying to catch them .

IMG_20200609_065641 (resized).jpgIMG_20200609_065641 (resized).jpg
#15258 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Yep , they had to close the pier down twice because too many people were trying to catch them .
[quoted image]

Oh No!
You can catch crabs and covid at the pier?
Sounds like a whorehouse joke.
No face masks down there in OZ, ey?

#15260 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Can you eat those? I guess it would be better than a mass of giant coconut crabs.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Damn near use these guys for home security.

#15262 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

One of the worst things, besides the loss of life of course, that is coming out of this is the affect on some people's jobs / careers. My neighbor is a tool and die maker and was furloughed for two months. Well, he got called back to work only to be told he's laid off along with 20% of the company. A cousin of mine in a different industry also saw 20% of his company laid off. While many companies are bringing back workers many are not bringing back all of them.

The news keeps trumpeting how the jobs are coming back.

Other than construction jobs and dentists, the rest of the jobs are the mediocre retail jobs with shitty hours and no benefits.
Some factory jobs are coming back. Some factory jobs can pay OK, but a lot of factory jobs are pure shit.

Restaurants are opening up but I don't see much traffic for sit down eating.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/06/economy/jobs-restaurants-construction-dentists/index.html

There is a mile long section on south Broadway in my town. It is where all of the used car lots are located. We are not talking high end late model used cars. We are talking 100,000 mile plus vehicles. There is probably 30 different cars lots in the area. At most, I might see 1 or 2 lots empty as the dealers retired and sold out, or went broke.

Currently I count 8 empty car lots.

#15263 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

No evidence to support your theory. In fact preliminary evidence from Italy suggests those who had flu vaccination did a little better with coronavirus vs those who did not. There was no evidence of harm.

I've always thought this to be the case... would be interested to see the stats on folks with a history of flu shots and how they fared with COVID.

#15264 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

You don't read it for the crab pics?

They are an added bonus!

giphy-3.gifgiphy-3.gif

#15265 3 years ago

So it’s “Phase 1” in NYC for whatever that means. So far I haven’t noticed a discernible difference.

Well except for one thing - tables and chairs on Sidewalks in front of restaurants. Doing very good business.

#15266 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The news keeps trumpeting how the jobs are coming back.
Other than construction jobs and dentists, the rest of the jobs are the mediocre retail jobs with shitty hours and no benefits.
Some factory jobs are coming back. Some factory jobs can pay OK, but a lot of factory jobs are pure shit.
Restaurants are opening up but I don't see much traffic for sit down eating.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/06/economy/jobs-restaurants-construction-dentists/index.html
There is a mile long section on south Broadway in my town. It is where all of the used car lots are located. We are not talking high end late model used cars. We are talking 100,000 mile plus vehicles. There is probably 30 different cars lots in the area. At most, I might see 1 or 2 lots empty as the dealers retired and sold out, or went broke.
Currently I count 8 empty car lots.

Cotton you always post your news from the same news source and it's a really horrible place to get your news. The economy is very strong right now and its coming back with a vengeance.

#15267 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Oh No!
You can catch crabs and covid at the pier?
No face masks down there in OZ, ey?

Ha Ha nice one .
I never see anybody wearing a mask where I live . 99% of the people trying to catch the crabs were our Chinese friends and if they're not wearing masks you know everything's ok

#15268 3 years ago

Unexpected results of the lockdown .
In Victoria we have had 0 deaths from the flu this year , same time last year we had 34 deaths , we have had 19 deaths from coronavirus . I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of the coronavirus but with everyone washing hands and keeping isolated , it's had a big effect on spreading the flu .

#15269 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Cotton you always post your news from the same news source and it's a really horrible place to get your news. The economy is very strong right now and its coming back with a vengeance.

CNN isn't a "good" news source? That's news to me - LOL! When I hear that along with the terms "very strong" I start to get nervous.

#15270 3 years ago

For anyone rushing to get back to work quickly I just suggest you look at the largest corporations and how they treat their most valuable employees.

Don’t watch the minimum wage factories, watch the employers that care about their workers.

#15271 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Damn near use these guys for home security.

They are like giant hermit crabs but have claws strong enough to break open coconuts hence the nick name. Pretty harmless but freaky.

#15272 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Wall Street certainly came back with a vengeance. Iceman44 was 100% right on that one. Don’t fight the fed.

Main Street is still on life support (stimulus) however.

Technically we are in a recession right now.

https://www.nber.org/cycles/june2020.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-recession-economy-february-coronavirus-nber-official-data-2020-6

#15273 3 years ago

Check this out. I'm eating the same amount. Still not working out. Drinking more beer then ever before yet I'm lighter at 42 then I was during my senior year of high school. How? I think it's because It's been three full months since I've eaten out. I also shaved and it's been years since I didn't have a double chin

20200609_064754.jpg20200609_064754.jpg
#15274 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

CNN isn't a "good" news source? That's news to me - LOL! When I hear that along with the terms "very strong" I start to get nervous.

Basically avoid CNN and Fox News, one is completely one way, the other is completely the other way.

#15275 3 years ago

Interesting slant on when Covid might have shown up in China.
There are some pretty smart mo-fo's out there, I would never have thought to use such 'intelligence' to deduce something like this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52975934

#15276 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Basically avoid CNN and Fox News, one is completely one way, the other is completely the other way.

I only trust the Onion - Americas Finest News Source.
https://www.theonion.com/

#15277 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200609-092408~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200609-092408~2 (resized).png
#15278 3 years ago

Or read them both, understand the motivation behind each one and get a pretty good idea of the actual news from the combined feed.

Or just read NPR

#15279 3 years ago

A very strong both sides argument. Maybe the strongest ever.

One was telling us to be extra careful, the other said don't worry about it.

#15280 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

And as usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle

#15281 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Or read them both, understand the motivation behind each one and get a pretty good idea of the actual news from the combined feed.
Or just read NPR

Or just get all your news from Pinside and memes. That seems to be the way forward

#15282 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Yes. The truth was in the middle!

Wait! No it wasn’t. One was true and one was a lie.

#15283 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Or just read NPR

Completely agree, Larry.
FOX and CNN operate basically in the identical manner to one another. They even poach reporters and methods from each another to use for their side. Seriously, its kind of amazing the similarities between CNN and FOX if you can consume each with an objective and open mind. I say this from my personal observations.

I view all news sources with skepticism but I want to understand different opinions especially those I don't agree with. Seems like everybody just wants to yell and live inside their bubble and no one listens.

#15284 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Seems like everybody just wants to yell and live inside their bubble and no one listens.

For those who hate and point fingers at either FOX or CNN, here's a quote from The Art of War.
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.” ― Sun Tzu

#15285 3 years ago

Here is the graphic I talked about but could not find. Sorry it's in French, but I guess you can understand most of it.
This the mortality daily rate in France over the last 20 years. All causes combined.

As you can see, the profiles for each year are more or less reproducible over the months - slightly less people die during summer than during winter. Differences are slightly higher during winter, depending on how bad the flu was.

But there are two obvious anomalies :
- the heat wave in August 2003 gave a sharp peak
- the current COVID-19 pandemic - year 2020 is in red.
Integrating the area of the curve above background should give a fair idea of the total death toll of Covid-19 (even if cause of death is not always known or accurate)

As you can see, we are now back to "normal". Fingers crossed.
Capture d’écran 2020-06-09 à 18.31.43 (resized).pngCapture d’écran 2020-06-09 à 18.31.43 (resized).png

#15286 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Who-Dey, this is where you are supposed to come in and give me some links to show the economy is coming back with a vengeance. Yes, my source is CNN. But my other source is driving around and seeing what I see.

And what I am not seeing is full restaurants.

What I am not seeing is Spirit Aerospace, which is a major Boeing supplier, calling the 4,000-5,000 workers it laid off back to work.

Boeing's stock is going nuts so if one's idea that the economy is booming because the stock is going crazy, then by all means tell me the economy is booming. But I'm not seeing it.

What I am seeing is the market going nuts because we only have 13% unemployment. 13% ! I can't say I saw the day when 13% unemployment would be something to cheer about. But here we are. 13 % unemployment and the economy is roaring---and is in better shape than it ever has been.

What I see is an economy (and stock market ) that cannot function without interest rates setting on ZERO !

What is your news source saying?

#15287 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Sorry if my original comment seemed ungrateful.

No worry - I did not read it as ungrateful !

Quoted from Mr68:

Like it or not, please consider that politics is a part of the scientific community in the form of human nature.

Understand that the Cardinal Sin of the "average" scientist is Pride.
Not greed.
Not power.
Most don't care about politics, except to promote their agenda which is (sadly) more often to inflate their ego than to save mankind...

The Covid-19 crisis has been a unique opportunity for some scientist to be in the spotlight. Some were good, others not so much. Sadly, in France, the most prominent figure has been Didier Raoult.

#15288 3 years ago

“Truth is rarely in the middle with any subject of an observable nature.

Just because an opposite statement of something exists, does not mean that one should average the two statements and that neither are wrong and neither are right.

It is the continual attack and dilution of truth that fuels ignorance, conspiracies, and division”

- RTR

#15289 3 years ago

A little more from CNN.

Here is the headline.

" More than half of states may be undercounting coronavirus cases by not following CDC guidelines."

You can believe it or not. But that is not why I linked it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

" How will students go back to school?"

Schools have been especially upended, with students across the country not having been on campus in months.
While many local governments have expressed that the path forward for the fall is unclear, North Carolina and California have released guidelines for reopening schools.
Though California's 1,000 school districts will make their own decision about how and when to resume in-classroom learning, the state's Department of Education released a 62-page guidebook Monday to help them plan ahead of time...

blah blah blah and yada yada yada.

And then we get to this part.

" Students and staff will be screened for illness before they enter the school. Children will be asked to stay distant from classmates. They won't be sharing pencils or textbooks, and there will be a lot of cleaning," he said."
==================================================

That all sounds well and good. Until you start wondering how the authorities are going to to handle the school busses. I drove a school bus for a year.

A standard school bus has 24 seats. That's 12 seats per side with a full bus packing in 3 kids per seat, or 72 passengers. One of my routes was about 15 junior high school kids; This would be an easy route to handle for social distancing. The other route was kindergarten thru 6th grade with about 50 kids on board.

Those school bus seats are about 4 feet wide, so that puts it at one kid per seat. That knocks you down to 24 kids per bus. But want, threes more.

But the seats are only about 2.5 feet in pitch, so that means every other seat will are off limits. So now you are down to 6 kids per side or 12 kids overall in order to maintain 6 foot social distancing. To maintain that kind of distancing, my bus with 50 kids on would have to grow into four busses to keep the distance. When the busses pulled into the grade school parking lot for afternoon pickup, there were at least 10 packed school busses leaving to take all of the little Jack's and Jill's home. Can you imagine 40 school busses?

The only thing I can say is that I would not be driving a bus full of snotty nosed, sniffling, and coughing kids. I was lucky I never caught the flu that year. No way would I take that chance with Covid. It would take a lot more money than what bus drivers get paid for me to take that chance.

I have not yet read anything on how kids riding school busses to school will be managed. And I would not want to be on the planning board that has to figure this one out.

#15290 3 years ago

Whenever I hear arguments in the media about bad statistics or how each side has an equally valid point just because there are two sides two sides to every story, I think of Walter from way back in 2009.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/hzqmb9/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-large-hadron-collider

#15291 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

“Truth is rarely in the middle with any subject of an observable nature."

"Say what? We have a license!"

- Kevin Kulek

#15292 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Or just read NPR

I try to do this, to get all (both?) sides of the story. I find one deals in facts but it comes with an unhealthy dose of opinion, while the other makes me feel like I am being shouted at with sometimes bizarre assertions, and that I need to be afraid of something.

Then I go read bbc, nyt, wapo, and others....and of course, Pinside!

#15293 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Boeing's stock is going nuts so if one's idea that the economy is booming because the stock is going crazy, then by all means tell me the economy is booming.

With the wealthiest 1% now owning over 50% of the stocks held by American households, the stock market is hardly an accurate indicator of the overall state of the economy ...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-richest-1-own-50-of-stocks-held-by-american-households-150758595.html

#15294 3 years ago

Yeah starting to think the stock market is just a parlor game for the rich that is pretty much unrelated to how the actual economy + average American is doing.

Kind of like the pinball hobby, when you think about it. Explains why pinball prices have RISEN, not dropped during this economic and health crisis.

#15295 3 years ago

Story on Sweden says their liberal approach to dealing with Covid was not a success. Interesting read and seems well sourced to me. Beyond that I’ll admit I know nothing of the National post and its political leanings:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/matt-gurney-sweden-took-a-gamble-on-covid-and-it-lost-the-bet-badly

#15296 3 years ago

Stocks came booming back on an unemployment report from May that was later shown to be inaccurate.

And two more cases in the senior care center mom is at but she tested negative. Funny how I can't find any public info in regards to that and the news is no longer reporting such cases.

#15297 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Stocks came booming back on an unemployment report from May that was later shown to be inaccurate.
And two more cases in the senior care center mom is at but she tested negative. Funny how I can't find any public info in regards to that and the news is no longer reporting such cases.

It's not here?

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/SNFsCOVID_19.aspx

#15298 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Story on Sweden says their liberal approach to dealing with Covid was not a success. Interesting read and seems well sourced to me. Beyond that I’ll admit I know nothing of the National post and its political leanings:
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/matt-gurney-sweden-took-a-gamble-on-covid-and-it-lost-the-bet-badly

The National Post was launched by none other than Conrad Black (back in the late 90s, I think). Here in Canada it is considered to lean toward the right, but it might look more left-leaning down in the USA....

#15299 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Read some of the comments on this article:

Gib Cairns
5 DAYS AGO
Sweden did not fail.
Their hospitals were not overwhelmed and in the long run their rate of infection will be no different than any other country.
Very short-sighted piece of “journalism” here.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 306 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/306?hl=rwmech5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.