272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 296 of 576.
#14750 3 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

The Virus is GONE here at my nearest Lowes in PA this afternoon. Special Mennonite and Redneck COVID antigens at work, I suppose.
My county is still Red Phase requiring masks and distancing....these are 4 of the 6 in the custom paint line without masks....and they got served!! UGH.
Oh and the woman in the orange is pregnant, too. That kid is destined to inherit some awesome genes in the smarts department.

[quoted image]

What county are you in? The number of PA counties with fewer than 10 deaths (often 0 -2) is surprising. Personally I’d wear a mask, but your arrogance is unbelievable. Maybe they’re just more accurately appraising the situation. Maybe they’re wrong. Everyone is trying to do what they think is best. Even the people screwing up

#14751 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Fauci seems to think it should be higher as well. One thing I've seen brought up multiple times is the fact that our pneumonia deaths were way above average in February and March, before testing was in place. I don't know if the below is the best article on it, but at least it gives some rough estimations:
https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2020/04/06/what-ordinary-flu-and-pneumonia-death-numbers/
I have no doubt that there is some overcounting and undercounting going on, depending on the state, but with every other country basically showing large totals, the US total seems reasonable as well.

The only completely erroneous total out there is China’s. I’d even take their recent numbers with a very large grain of salt

#14752 3 years ago

We ordered a 16 pc spicy chicken bucket from Popeyes and we got 16 chicken sandwiches, if anyone is interested shoot me a PM. I can ship tomorrow.

A9A29F05-816F-4A6B-9FD3-EA9F9A7A08A9 (resized).jpegA9A29F05-816F-4A6B-9FD3-EA9F9A7A08A9 (resized).jpeg
#14753 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You sound you like you would do really good on Wall Street.

Only rollercoasters I ride are fun ones when they are open.

Been watching though and find it hard to believe how much denial that street is in. Like one little tidbit of hopeful, but yet to be proven news can send the markets into a rebound. Entire industries have been wiped out and many others hanging by a thread and somehow the market continues to trudge along. At what point does the reality of the situation really start to sink in?

#14754 3 years ago

I never trust anyone that says “trust me”. Trust is something that you have to earn through time.

#14755 3 years ago

COCKER? I don't even know her.

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
#14756 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

When have you ever known a hospital not to be a rip off?

Pretty much every country outside of the US

#14757 3 years ago

On a day when America took pandemic to a whole new level, we mourn the loss of all the fighters. And Memorial Day 2020 will probably go down in infamy or at least as one of the most memorable.
0524-en-covidmem-vigliotti-490202-640x360 (resized).jpg0524-en-covidmem-vigliotti-490202-640x360 (resized).jpg200524161515-02-ozarks-memorial-day-pool-party-live-video (resized).jpg200524161515-02-ozarks-memorial-day-pool-party-live-video (resized).jpg

#14758 3 years ago

Who Dey , you can hide in the hockey thread if you want.

#14759 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I am thinking about getting,

It has diamond plate along the rocker panels. That could be covering rust, use caution there Mr. o-din.

#14760 3 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

My county is still Red Phase requiring masks and distancing....these are 4 of the 6 in the custom paint line without masks....and they got served!! UGH.
Oh and the woman in the orange is pregnant, too. That kid is destined to inherit some awesome genes in the smarts department.

[quoted image]

The chicks are wearing masks , someone just needs to tell them they're on backwards .

#14761 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its happening trust me Cotton and only a fool would think otherwise. Anyway these hospitals can get more money they are going to do it, especially when the government has crushed their business. When have you ever known a hospital not to be a rip off?

Who-Dey, here is what I know about hospitals.

I know hospitals are expensive.

I know the pricing is opaque.

I consider health insurance to be a racket. But I cannot prove that.

I know I do not want to be without insurance.

I know that Medicare does not pay a hospital very much.

I am retired and know that if I am a fool and do not buy Part C supplement for my Medicare every month that some day I could be one sorry SOB.

While I personally know of some nightmare doctors ( not all of them were A students ) I know next to nothing about how to evaluate a hospital.

If I take my car to the mechanic and he quotes me $700.00 for a fuel pump plus labor I know he is trying to stick it to me because we both buy our parts at AutoZone and that fuel pump sells for $188.00 retail.

And I know that health care insurance the United States sucks wind.

I am also old enough to remember when you could go see your doctor and pay for the service out of pocket.

But I have no way of knowing is a hospital is ripping me. I just know the price is expensive.

#14762 3 years ago

Sounds like United Airlines got spanked.

" Airlines improve coronavirus safety protocols to lure back anxious passengers"

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/in-effort-to-restore-confidence-united-airlines-unveils-coronavirus-safety-guide-after-backlash-for-flying-a-packed-flight-2020-05-20?mod=home-page

" United announced a series of changes this week to help restore the public’s confidence in air travel, outlining how it will operate at airports and on board planes, including a partnership with Clorox Co. CLX, -0.40% for enhanced cleaning and another with medical experts from the Cleveland Clinic, as it works to keep passengers safe during the coronavirus pandemic.

" This is a notable turnaround in policy for the airline, given criticism leveled at United in recent weeks. Earlier this month, Ethan Weiss, a University of California, San Francisco, cardiologist, shared a photo on Twitter TWTR, +0.86% showing nearly every seat full on the plane out of Newark Airport in New Jersey. He said customers were “shocked” and “scared.”

" At the time, United said it could no longer guarantee all customers would be booked next to an empty seat.
========================

Here is what happened 2 weeks ago.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-frighteningly-packed-flight-out-of-newark-has-doctor-saying-he-wont-fly-again-anytime-soon-2020-05-10?mod=article_inline

EXl0qqzX0AE5YOo (resized).jpegEXl0qqzX0AE5YOo (resized).jpeg
===========================================

And United, you broke my Taylor Guitar.

Amazing how a little bit light shining made United think it had better change its ways. Then. And now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars

#14763 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its happening trust me Cotton and only a fool would think otherwise. Anyway these hospitals can get more money they are going to do it, especially when the government has crushed their business. When have you ever known a hospital not to be a rip off?

Never trust someone that tells you to trust them right after making a wild unsubstantiated accusation. Where is your proof?

#14764 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

On a day when America took pandemic to a whole new level, we mourn the loss of all the fighters. And Memorial Day 2020 will probably go down in infamy or at least as one of the most memorable.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I was going to say next weekend or the weekend after once the fallout hits from all the mingling and pool parties etc.

#14765 3 years ago

I’m not getting on a goddamn plane until I see it in writing that they are only selling every other row and no strangers seated directly next to one another.

Until then they can kiss my ass. Pretty disgusted by the aviation industry during this thing. Charge me for luggage fine whatever...but everyone who flies should be completely freaked out by what we’ve seen from them. Safety is supposed to be the #1 concern in aviation, and they obviously don’t care about it. The’ve been half assing this since Day 1 and they are STILL doing that, offering just token solutions like “snacks will come with a sanitizing wipe.”

Gimme something I can use.

How about “we will sell only 60 percent of the plane” or something like that? Something that actually makes sense and will make me feel safe, instead of just a sanitization version of that dumb pamphlet that’s supposed to make us feel better about the idea of a plane crash.

#14766 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

trust me Cotton

Screenshot_20200409-233839~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200409-233839~2 (resized).png
#14767 3 years ago

Anyone out there getting agoraphobic? I am genuinely starting to fear about having to leave the house at this point.

#14768 3 years ago
Quoted from sven:

In the Netherlands we think the number of deaths are higher than the official reported Covid deaths. (...) I think Belgium also counts suspicious non-tested deaths, so that's why it seems Covid infection over there is worse than in The Netherlands, even though that may not be true.

Agreed on all counts. Countries (and perhaps states or even counties) have different ways of counting Covid-deaths. This can make comparisons very difficult. Belgium reported over 9,000 deaths for 57,000 positive cases, Germany 8,000 deaths for 180,000 confirmed cases... and Russia only 3,600 deaths for 353,000 cases !?

This is why getting statistics on total deaths, all causes combined, gives you an unbiased view on coronavirus toll. We will only be able to get a global view on coronavirus impact once we get these numbers, which should be available in many countries (forget about North Korea, Iran...) You will find below two graphics, showing daily number of reported deaths in France between March 1 and May 11. Three years were compared. Lockdown started mid-March when our hospitals started to be overwhelmed. People don't die instantly and stayed 11 days on average on ventilators - the peak was shifted.In simple words, around April 1st, instead of 1,700-1,800 people dying every day, it reached 2,700-2,800... 1,000 extra deaths per day.

I have seen somewhere a similar graph where 20 years were plotted - this peak is one of the two that showed up in 20 years - the other one was related to a heat wave in August 2003 (13,000 deaths in 3 weeks).

Capture d’écran 2020-05-26 à 05.44.14 (resized).pngCapture d’écran 2020-05-26 à 05.44.14 (resized).png

Also remember these are global stats. France is relatively small - area 15x smaller than the US - yet big enough so that enormous differences were found between various parts. The second graph shows over mortality over 6 weeks, in each administrative county ("département"). From +92% to... less than 0. In other words, in the worst places, mortality nearly doubled. I live near Paris (where we reached + 74%) and close to a hospital: the only traffic I could hear were ambulance sirens and I heard them far too often. But elsewhere, it was as if the epidemic did not exist. Thanks to very limited car traffic, some counties actually experienced a decrease in total deaths.

Capture d’écran 2020-05-26 à 05.45.47 (resized).pngCapture d’écran 2020-05-26 à 05.45.47 (resized).png

This is why you may have very different perpectives on the LOCAL impact of the pandemic. Differences in a country as large as the US must have been even more pronounced.

#14769 3 years ago

... and now a word of cautious optimism: the lockdown in France was partially released on May 11; 15 days ago. If the virus is still actively circulating, we should see (should already have seem ?) the beginning of a resurgence of new cases. So far, so good... Fingers crossed. We will know for sure in two more weeks.
Worst places to work seem to be slaughter houses / meat packing places. The virus seems to enjoy confined and cold places...

#14770 3 years ago

I see everyone focusing primarily on the daily number of new COVID-19 cases in a given city, state, etc ... but that number doesn't seem as important as the the percentage of new cases based on the total number of tests performed each day. Testing is all over the map, and this would be the best way to compare one geographic area to another. It would also be a more accurate way to gauge how the spread in a particular area is trending.

#14771 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Anyone out there getting agoraphobic? I am genuinely starting to fear about having to leave the house at this point.

A little. I’m getting fed up with the local bums and riff raff and I have lashed out at a couple occasions.

Not loving walking around my block lately. But straight up afraid to leave the house agora nah, I’m going out a bit everyday.

#14772 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Pictures like that make it almost embarrassing to even admit that my family went to the Outer Banks last week. Our view was very different, though.

20200517_084752 (resized).jpg20200517_084752 (resized).jpg

One afternoon there were groups of people with only about 10-12 feet between them, and we went back to the house and hit the pool (private) instead.

We chose to go last week because it was the first week they were open, and we knew the house had not been used since March. By the end of the week, people were already letting their guard down, and we were glad to be leaving.

#14773 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

I still walk the dog every day around the neighborhood, but I have to admit feeling growing anxiety when driving anywhere (groceries, etc)

I had a conversation the other day about possibly getting together with a friend, and just considering it practically gave me a panic attack. That reaction was a bit worrisome to me and not sure it makes sense.

#14774 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

COCKER? I don't even know her.[quoted image]

f26caaf0eb7f83caa60a8c842088a1b5db2869c6.giff26caaf0eb7f83caa60a8c842088a1b5db2869c6.gif
#14775 3 years ago

I hope this is suggested spacing and not a method to avoid Corona Splash.

0AD571BD-0DF4-41CA-879D-98DBDA63FD5B (resized).jpeg0AD571BD-0DF4-41CA-879D-98DBDA63FD5B (resized).jpeg

#14776 3 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

It has diamond plate along the rocker panels. That could be covering rust, use caution there Mr. o-din.

I'd be buying it for the V-8 manual trans combo which is a platform I can and like to work with. It is obviously going to need at least some work and who knows how much I will be beefing it up in the future. It wouldn't be my first rodeo with AMC Jeeps.

There are other places that would show rust if it is there, but if it is truly an original Ca. vehicle, rust should be pretty much non existent. However, there is always a cure for anything on these.

https://www.shellvalley.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=368/category_id=137/mode=prod/prd368.htm

#14777 3 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14778 3 years ago

In my area, there is now an advertisement about how you can get a test to detect if you have antibodies to COVID-19 and the advertisement says that it "only costs" $189. I also hear some people say that the test is covered by insurance and the copay is like $10. I think they are doing it in parking lots. Someone please explain to me why I would want to pay for this test or why I would even want it... The only reason I can possibly imagine is if your employer is requiring that for you to return to work...

#14779 3 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

In my area, there is now an advertisement about how you can get a test to detect if you have antibodies to COVID-19 and the advertisement says that it "only costs" $189. I also hear some people say that the test is covered by insurance and the copay is like $10. I think they are doing it in parking lots. Someone please explain to me why I would want to pay for this test or why I would even want it... The only reason I can possibly imagine is if your employer is requiring that for you to return to work...

yeah most labcorps are doing it at $10 walk-in with insurance. You'd want to check to see if you had the virus and now carry the antibodies. It would mean you could safely return to your life for the most part, as your body now has a way to defend against it.

#14780 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m not getting on a goddamn plane until I see it in writing that they are only selling every other row and no strangers seated directly next to one another.

I don't want to be locked inside a pressurized tube with strangers either. Your comment reminded me about this article I read recently.
I think the airline industry realizes its a new world and they have to innovate before changes become mandated.
https://www.smartertravel.com/plane-seats-coronavirus-change/
zzJANUS_front-view (resized).jpgzzJANUS_front-view (resized).jpg

#14781 3 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

Someone please explain to me why I would want to pay for this test or why I would even want it... The only reason I can possibly imagine is if your employer is requiring that for you to return to work...

So you can get classified and catalogued and become part of somebody's database.

#14782 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I hope this is suggested spacing and not a method to avoid Corona Splash.
[quoted image]

The sniper in me would be aiming for that X on the wall.

#14783 3 years ago

You have to be very careful with the antibody tests. FDA basically let anyone who wanted to to start marketing tests. Then after they were already flooded in the marketplace, FDA asked companies to provide proof their tests worked if they wanted an “fda approved” sticker.

Even the few with the “approved” stickers are not exactly accurate.

The idea is that if you have antibodies, then you have had covid already and are immune. This is not an unreasonable assumption, but has not been proven.

#14784 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'd be buying it for the V-8 manual trans combo which is a platform I can and like to work with. It is obviously going to need at least some work and who knows how much I will be beefing it up in the future. It wouldn't be my first rodeo with AMC Jeeps.
There are other places that would show rust if it is there, but if it is truly an original Ca. vehicle, rust should be pretty much non existent. However, there is always a cure for anything on these.
https://www.shellvalley.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=368/category_id=137/mode=prod/prd368.htm

Your a Toyota guy and your buying a Jeep. I'm kinda shocked

#14785 3 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I would love to know so I could relax my guard a bit and maybe normalize my life somewhat. That said my gut instincts tells me those tests are unreliable and I would prefer going through my doctor.

Edit: Sucks to be last after a moderator delay.

#14786 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I would love to know so I could relax my guard a bit and maybe normalize my life somewhat. That said my gut instincts tells me those tests are unreliable and I would prefer going through my doctor.

If you get a positive result definitely inquire about which brand. I believe the Abbott test is the one with considerable false-positives. The Roche one seems to have better stats.

#14787 3 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Your a Toyota guy and your buying a Jeep. I'm kinda shocked

At one time about 20 years ago I owned several Jeeps, and a '67 Bronco. Sold them all and got rid of all my extra parts. 4 wheel drives were more than a hobby, they were an obsession.

My 1986 CJ-7 I built had an AMC 401 and a T-18 cast iron 4 speed with a 6-1 granny gear. The dream and the itch is back.

With Toyota, there is just nothing to work on. I can't sit around here and get paid to do nothing. Meeting the dude in a couple hours.

#14789 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If you get a positive result definitely inquire about which brand. I believe the Abbott test is the one with considerable false-positives. The Roche one seems to have better stats.

I would think if you are a family of four living together and you all test positive for the antibodies, that would be a good indicator that you all were all indeed exposed to the virus. It seems unlikely that there would be four false positives, and more likely that the virus would spread to every member of a single household.

#14790 3 years ago

Had a young guy tell me and the wife that they're now saying we shouldn't wear masks so we can breathe in the beneficial bacteria. We gave him an "Oh ok" and kept walking. He kept talking across the parking lot until we got to our car. F'ing crazy...

#14791 3 years ago

Freedom foundation?

It’s amazing what people think qualifies as “news links” around here.

They are a self-described biased political "think tank." Their “about us” statement would get them banned from this thread.

Not a news source. I'm inclined to agree with Gov. Inslee's take on them. ANd mind you this from the "Bullshit Foundation's" own web site:

"When asked about the Foundation’s report at a press conference Monday, Gov. Jay Inslee dismissed it as “dangerous,” “disgusting” and “malarkey.” He further accused the Freedom Foundation of “fanning these conspiracy claims from the planet Pluto” and not caring about the lives lost to COVID-19."

#14792 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I would think if you are a family of four living together and you all test positive for the antibodies, that would be a good indicator that you all were all indeed exposed to the virus. It seems unlikely that there would be four false positives, and more likely that the virus would spread to every member of a single household.

Probably, but is there any known reason of false-positives? If the tests are conflating influenza-a with covid, for instance, then the positive tests from the household would be less of an indicator.

#14793 3 years ago

Consider the source - This is a billionaire funded, right wing conservative group that bill's itself as a "think tank," but it is well-known for advancing aggressive techniques - anti choice, LGBT, Climate...you name it.

#14794 3 years ago

It's pretty sad that these days I am immediately skeptical of any group or media outlet with the word "Freedom" in the title.

#14795 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

is well-known for advancing aggressive techniques - anti choice, LGBT, Climate...you name it.

So "Freedom foundation" is anti-choice? How ironic.

#14796 3 years ago

Seems harmless to kick these attention getting headlines around, right?

If you read their own article and the DOH explanations, they say, yes there were a few (5) erroneously reported deaths. They are correcting and that is not their policy.

This is how people get stupid about the pandemic. An agenda driven organization pulls a few statements from context, makes sweeping generalizations that fit the agenda, and boom - people read the headlines, start spreading it on social media, friends of friends assume their friends are informed and a whole swath of people believe in wrong information and/or conspiracy theories.

Stemming from that belief, some cease being careful and people die from the bullshit that ensues.

#14797 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Edit: Sucks to be last after a moderator delay.

I think what I am hearing from some people in my area on antibody testing, is this thing about "I just want to learn that I am immune, so that I can not be so afraid". Frankly, I am not paying anything for that feeling. There are plenty of other real things to be afraid of, so I see it as an unproductive waste of time and money. Further, some group is making a boatload of money doing virus antibody testing, because some people are just terrified of the whole situation. I think it is immoral to live off the fear of people, but I guess some people really do need the test for antibodies, because they were previously infected, had symptoms, and want to go back to work. Perhaps the antibody test is necessary for those people. Perhaps that antibody test proves that they are no longer contagious.

#14798 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200526-124008~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200526-124008~2 (resized).png
#14799 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Probably, but is there any known reason of false-positives? If the tests are conflating influenza-a with covid, for instance, then the positive tests from the household would be less of an indicator.

The Roche antibody test is extremely accurate, it’s the actual Covid test that has been giving some false positives.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwimwcK8ktLpAhWDvZ4KHVAaCXsQFjAFegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cebm.net%2Fcovid-19%2Fcovid-19-roche-antibody-test-14th-may%2F&usg=AOvVaw0I_FqFOsgMlOISvjonrTbW

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 296 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/296?hl=mizzou0103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.