272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 282 of 576.
#14050 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Ugh, I though if I could see it everyone could. How to make it public?
[EDIT: I think I fixed it, damn I feel silly]

and now we all know you live in *checks notes* Duluth, Greater Alaska!

#14051 3 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

In 4 hours from now Borussia Dortmund will play against FC Schalke 04 in the german soccer league. This is one of the biggest rivalries in sport history.One of the first games after corona break. No visitors in the stadium, we call it a "ghost game". It will set a new record for TV ratings. But what will happen in pubs and private homes in the whole country? What will happen if idiot fans go to camp at the stadium?........
Perhaps this will be the first and last game after the break.
On the other side, it is also possible that without the supporters at the stadium everybody will see how boring soccer can be. Without the atmosphere of the supporters I would always prefer to watch an american football game over soccer.
Crazy times.
https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/10-things-on-the-revierderby-borussia-dortmund-schalke-3872
Cause of corona this will not be allowed:

They announced Aussie rules football will start on June 11th , yay
I hope they let some supporters in or at least put some crowd noises in . Sport sucks with no atmosphere .

#14052 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This sums up my feelings on Bill Gates pretty well. [quoted image]

Well, the road to redemption is straight on the starting line and gets dangerous to travel. Bill Gates has done great things, but I was there when he didn’t. His not great things were epic and destroyed people’s lives.

These ‘potatoe heads’ On the net will be one of his reminders for his lifetime.

#14053 3 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

News from corona times in germany: Today I opend up my pub again, first time since 2 month. I did not announce it, cause I try to be careful and did not want to many people for the first day in the pub. It is a very small pub, only 800 feet². I opened up from 4pm to 10 pm, in corona times it isn't allowed to open up longer here in my village. I had 35 guests today, most of them stayed the whole time. They had fun and were happy, followed orders and were diciplined. But I felt the sword of damocles over my head, what if anybody has it and cause of me it will be spread to others? It is not a good feeling to be a bartender in this times.
Was a very stressful day, I always work alone. And now it is not only serving drinks and make small talk, there are so many rules to follow now with corona: I have to keep record of everybody, so if one of the guests will get ill over the next four weeks, I have to tell the health department, who was withthem in the pub and how they could get in contact with everyone. After a guest leaves I have to disinfect his place. Everybody has to wear masks when they don't sit down. I have to wear a mask the whole time. No one is allowed to sit at the bar, only at tables. Nobody could choose a table, I have to bring them to their table. And only people from two households are allowed to sit at one table. Only one person at a time is allowed to go to the toilett. Everybody has to keep distance from the others. No Pinball playing, no darts, dice rolling or other gambling alowed. And many other rules..... that doesn't sound to hard to do, but when people get drunk it gets harder and harder. For the first day I am surprised, I thought it was going to be terrible. Social distancing is the opposit of what I always wanted in my pub. But people were in unexpectedly good mood and tried to help me. If I want them to be safe and have a good time, it is way more work for me and there are way more costs, so I rised the prize per beer and drink, but the complaining was limited. That is a good sign. But I tried to be very moderate with the rise. A rise of 21 cent from 1,85 to 2,06$ for a 10,15 oz beer, before corona they would have tarred-and-feathered me, but I still think I am to cheap.
Perhaps, if everybody stays postive and tries to be careful and in good mood, it could work out. Tomorrow will be the big test, Soccer league will be starting again on TV. There will be fans from different teams in my Pub.
I am still very pessimistic about the future, my whole country opens up, it has to open up. But I am afraid there will be a second and thirdwave of corona. I don't know what will happen then.
I read today here in Germany they are testing now the urine of infected people for albumin to predict how hard Corona will Hit the patient. Perhaps this will help in future to lower the death rate.
Stay healthy, bye.

Really sad that the Bally Wulff, Novomatic, NSM and Gauselmann machines have to remain off.

#14054 3 years ago

Plus you get your 25¢ deposit back when you return your cart at Aldi's. Although during this whole coronavirus deal, most stores are waiving the deposit and giving you a "sanitized" cart.

#14055 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

So many armchair quarterbacks that seem to know what we should or should not be doing. So easy to have an opinion when you're not the one who has to make critical decisions.

Yep, and spouting those opinions with the benefit of hindsight.

#14056 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

and now we all know you live in *checks notes* Duluth, Greater Alaska!

Fun little story about we got our current name:

Howell's Crossing was renamed "Duluth" in 1871 after Congress funded a north-south railroad line into the community. It was named after the city of Duluth, Minnesota. The Midwestern city had gotten its own railroad connection not long before, which had prompted Rep. J. Proctor Knott, a Kentucky Democrat, to make a speech in Congress mocking the project as wasteful. That speech drew national attention. According to contemporary reports, Evan P. Howell himself jokingly suggested the name change in a speech about the arrival of railroad service in the Georgia town.

#14057 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I hope they let some supporters in or at least put some crowd noises in . Sport sucks with no atmosphere .

Most likely haved noise pumped in. At least some sports are able to get back.

#14058 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Plus you get your 25¢ deposit back when you return your cart at Aldi's. Although during this whole coronavirus deal, most stores are waiving the deposit and giving you a "sanitized" cart.

Aldi is the only store I know that cleans them. I make sure to thank them for doing this.

#14059 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Really sad that the Bally Wulff, Novomatic, NSM and Gauselmann machines have to remain off.

I'm looking to buy NSM and Wulff machines right now if any are kicking around in Germany and need some love....

#14060 3 years ago

100,000 dead within a week or so.

In hindsight, that seems pretty bad.

We are currently “reopening America” in a way that runs counter to what the majority of medical and scientific experts say we should.

In foresight, that seems like another in a long, long line of terrible mistakes the people in charge have made.

I wonder what we’ll say with hindsight in a few months.

I wouldn’t worry. It’ll probably turn out just great like everything else we’ve done over the past few months.

#14061 3 years ago

High pollen count in my area and my mask is now doing double duty. I usually have very little allergy issues but this spring has hit me hard.

90790684_606522153538624_5673089762890612736_n (2) (resized).jpg90790684_606522153538624_5673089762890612736_n (2) (resized).jpg
#14062 3 years ago

So glad I don’t have to deal with allergies.

We got enough problems !

#14063 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Fun little story about we got our current name:
Howell's Crossing was renamed "Duluth" in 1871 after Congress funded a north-south railroad line into the community. It was named after the city of Duluth, Minnesota. The Midwestern city had gotten its own railroad connection not long before, which had prompted Rep. J. Proctor Knott, a Kentucky Democrat, to make a speech in Congress mocking the project as wasteful. That speech drew national attention. According to contemporary reports, Evan P. Howell himself jokingly suggested the name change in a speech about the arrival of railroad service in the Georgia town.

I like my city's name but wonder if our forefathers lacked imagination.

#14064 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yep, and spouting those opinions with the benefit of hindsight.

Hindsight is great when looking towards the future...

"They screwed this up pretty bad so far and they keep doing the same thing; looks like they'll keep screwing up!"

#14065 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Aldi is the only store I know that cleans them. I make sure to thank them for doing this.

Well, also keep in mind that if a covid case pops up as coming from their store (or any store, really) they're going to have to face the repercussions of that both from a clean-up perspective and PR perspective. They stand to lose a lot if people then avoid their store(s) because of a reported breakout.

So if wiping down a regularly used item helps prevent transmission, it's going to cost less in the long run to take that extra precaution.

#14066 3 years ago

I don't see any more pause symbols... y'all mods working real time or did it become too much hassle?

EDIT: ah there it is...

#14067 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

PA also forced nursing homes to take in their covid residents. And what do you know? 70% of all covid deaths in PA are from nursing homes. And wait there’s more. The good doctor herself moved her mother out of the nursing home BEFORE making the rule.
https://m.theepochtimes.com/pennsylvania-health-secretary-moves-mother-out-of-nursing-home_3349303.html

Same thing happened in NY. The governor ordered nursing homes to take patients back, and the virus burned through most of the NYC area nursing homes like wildfire.

Then the governor ordered that the hospitals keep the patients instead. Well after the damage was done.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

NY issued an executive order on 5/10 requiring nursing home staff to be tested twice a week.
Also, that hospitals are now not allowed to discharge nursing home patients unless the facility certifies that they can care for the patient, and also that the hospital cannot discharge a nursing home patient unless they have a covid-19 test that tests negative.
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-20230-continuing-temporary-suspension-and-modification-laws-relating-disaster-emergency
https://wbng.com/2020/05/10/cuomo-issues-executive-order-mandating-all-nursing-home-staff-be-tested-for-covid-19-twice-per-week/
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/cuomo-reverses-nursing-home-directive-to-take-covid-19-patients-requires-more-staff-testing/2410533/
This is after Cuomo insisted on 4/25 that nursing homes have to take back covid-positive patients:
https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/cuomo-nursing-homes-dont-have-the-right-to-object-to-order-requiring-admission-of-covid-19-patients-coronavirus/71-370ce285-0a0d-4df1-90c5-b5af508444df
https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/nursing-homes-cant-reject-coronavirus-patients-cuomo-says/
https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/ny-state-let-coronavirus-infected-nurses-work-in-nursing-home/
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coronavirus-spreads-new-york-nursing-home-forced-take-recovering-patients-n1191811
https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-mandates-nursing-homes-take-covid-19-patients-discharged-from-hospitals-11585228215
Additionally, the original directive instructing this appears to have been removed from the NYS site (attached below).
Original link: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2020/03/doh_covid19-_nhadmissionsreadmissions_-032520.pdf

[quoted image]

#14068 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Most likely haved noise pumped in. At least some sports are able to get back.

The AFL ( Australian football league ) is experimenting with putting noises over the TV broadcast . I have seen overseas , some sports adding crowd noises and cardboard cutouts of fans . We had one game played before the lock down with no crowds and it was so shit with no atmosphere .
Anything is better than nothing .

#14069 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

y'all mods working real time

We are just machines and sentient A.I.

#14070 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

100,000 dead within a week or so.
In hindsight, that seems pretty bad.
We are currently “reopening America” in a way that runs counter to what the majority of medical and scientific experts say we should.
In foresight, that seems like another in a long, long line of terrible mistakes the people in charge have made.
I wonder what we’ll say with hindsight in a few months.
I wouldn’t worry. It’ll probably turn out just great like everything else we’ve done over the past few months.

I recommend not checking twitter to see what is being posted about today in the midst of a global pandemic. It's like peering into an entirely different universe where 88k didn't just die from a virus in 2 months in a single country. It's downright depressing.

#14071 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I like my city's name but wonder if our forefathers lacked imagination.

Have you guys got any big Rocks where you are

#14072 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Have you guys got any big Rocks where you are

Only in our attitudes.

#14073 3 years ago

It is raining outside, and it sounds like thunder...but with the way 2020 is going, it could be Godzilla.

#14074 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

High pollen count in my area and my mask is now doing double duty. I usually have very little allergy issues but this spring has hit me hard.
[quoted image]

It would be cruel if I went into a bar without a mask and talked to staff or others while drinking a beer or two. It takes about a half hour and I would exhibit flu like symptoms that should scare the shit out of anyone who I had been talking to about my right to not wear a mask. I'm allergic to gluten. And unfortunately love beer so it might be worth the misery. I actually had my last few beers at the Tap Room in Pebble Beach knowing I was getting on a plane and getting off the plane sick for 24 hours. Edibles make life easier after ingesting gluten.

#14075 3 years ago

Without being political, I thought this was an interesting perspective. It does make you wonder about the role of non-stop information and news and how it may influence our tolerance for suffering. It’s pretty horrifying 1-4 million dead and none of us really think about it when we think about 1969.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-life-went-on-as-normal-during-the-killer-pandemic-of-1969/

#14076 3 years ago

Quarantine

/ˈkwôrənˌtēn/

definition-

noun

a state, period, or place of isolation in which people or animals that have arrived from elsewhere or been exposed to infectious or contagious disease are placed.

verb

impose isolation on (a person, animal, or place); put in quarantine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quarantine

American unabridged definition-

1589503597849 (resized).jpg1589503597849 (resized).jpg
#14077 3 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Without being political, I thought this was an interesting perspective. It does make you wonder about the role of non-stop information and news and how it may influence our tolerance for suffering. It’s pretty horrifying 1-4 million dead and none of us really think about it when we think about 1969.
https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-life-went-on-as-normal-during-the-killer-pandemic-of-1969/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/woodstock-occur-during-pandemic/

#14078 3 years ago

The night is young.

Also, I feel obligated to recite my mantra: this is not the flu, this is not the flu, this is not the flu

#14079 3 years ago

Boris Johnson's doctor is calling coronavirus this generation's polio because of the long-term health problems it will cause survivors:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-12/covid-19-s-health-effects-can-last-long-after-virus-is-gone

#14080 3 years ago

Greg Freres updated his FB profile pic. I love it.

zGreg Freres (resized).jpgzGreg Freres (resized).jpg
#14081 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I love reading posts and perspectives from other countries too. Wish there were even more of those.

normalinnigeria (resized).jpgnormalinnigeria (resized).jpg
#14082 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Quarantine
/ˈkwôrənˌtēn/
definition-
noun
a state, period, or place of isolation in which people or animals that have arrived from elsewhere or been exposed to infectious or contagious disease are placed.
verb
impose isolation on (a person, animal, or place); put in quarantine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quarantine
American unabridged definition-[quoted image]

Been thinking a lot about Germany in the early 1930s lately.

#14083 3 years ago

Car window intercoms, for when you don't want to roll down your window when picking up groceries.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/a31742764/are-intercom-systems-in-cars-a-good-idea-in-the-age-of-social-distancing/

#14084 3 years ago

Snopes is a great, quick resource for all this facebook-spread bullshit. 18 months 100k estimated-with-a-CDC-formula deaths in 1968 is not the same as 3 months 100k COUNTED deaths in 2020 we'll have by the end of May.

#14085 3 years ago

Yep, and everyone of this facts was acknowledged in the article. Stop looking for a fight. And it was far worse in the rest of the world

#14086 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

The night is young.
Also, I feel obligated to recite my mantra: this is not the flu, this is not the flu, this is not the flu

Why are you guys so freaking threatened? I wouldn’t suggest it is. That said, there are parallels. And it’s interesting to see the difference in attitutdes, even between flu outbreaks in 1969 and 2009.

#14088 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Snopes is a great, quick resource for all this facebook-spread bullshit. 18 months 100k deaths in 1968 is not the same as 3 months 100k deaths in 2020 we'll have by the end of May.

Not to get political or anything, but you can paste that link to the NY Post article into an Advanced Twitter Search and see who's sharing that article as "an interesting perspective".

What's next? An article on heart attack fatalities from 1969?

#14089 3 years ago

Yep, and everyone of this facts was acknowledged in the article. Stop looking for a fight. And it was far worse in the rest of the world

Also, it's interesting to note that flu fatalities are estimated using a formula. COVID-19 deaths are counted (and many say, under counted). So the real delta between any given flu and COVID-19 is likely MUCH larger because it's not an apples to apples comparison of actual mortality.

#14090 3 years ago

Can you imagine if this shit had gone down in say, 2012, and the response had been as similarly incompetent and destructive?

I’m sure the armies of people saying we’ve done a great job, it’s just a flu etc etc etc would be exactly as forgiving and willing to explain this shitshow away as they are now.

#14091 3 years ago

You guys are amazing. It’s now guilt by association. You can’t even find something interesting without being considered guilty of something. There’s now something wrong with suggesting that the incredible amounts of information people are presented with today might affect their responses. Unreal.

#14092 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I don’t have machines with a gambling for money option anymore in my pub. Those machines are not forbitten in my area, but I don’t like them.
Perhaps I should say, I hate them, no matter how much money they would bring for me, cause often enough I could see what they can do with people. When I am talking about gambling, I think of card games or board games or dice games. And only if played for the next round of beer and not for money. I just have a dart-machine and a Black Knight Premium (my favourite pinball machine and Steve Ritchies best game!) in my pub and the BK is on freeplay, cause I don’t want to make money with pinball. I want to spread the joy of the game and I always animate people to try it even if they never played pinball before. But that is not allowed these days with corona. People have to sit at their table. And things are now not allowed if many people have to touch the same thing even if I would disinfect the buttons, darts or cards.

Quoted from screaminr:

I hope they let some supporters in or at least put some crowd noises in. Sport sucks with no atmosphere .

There is no fun in teamsports without supporters. I hate it!!! My Sportchannel had an option today for the sound with playback noise of fans. That helped only a little bit, there is no connection between fan noise and game. The games were absolutely boring. Both fan groups from the rivalry game today talked before the game and they decided not to see it as a derby. Everything went well, save and without trouble, but also without fun.
It seems to me that the one who invented Corona focused on everything that could be fun.

Quoted from RTR:

I love your updates and wish you the best of luck on the re-opening of your pub! What is the name of it?
One of the cool things about pinside is getting snapshots of life from around the world.

My real name is: Heiko Staab and the name of the pub is “Gasthaus Staab”. But it is nothing special, just a typical small old pub in a little village in Germany. Not beautiful or famous. People are always reminded of “Cheers”. It has history, good and bad, because it is 100 years old. Perhaps someday I should write a book about the whole history of guests, from the Jews to the Nazis and KZ inmates to the American G.Is, from the hippies to the students to the rockers to the Chinese and now to the corona time. Also it is nothing special, I think that could be very entertaining. The pub is the reason why I love pinball. First game we got there was a Bally Lost World. And the pub like almost every pub in the world was always its own special world too.
I grew up in the pub, after my graduation I went to the army, then I studied theology and the whole time I worked in the pub. Someday I decided to do nothing else till the day I die. And so, I became the owner of it and the little special world in it.
But now this corona virus, dictates everything, there is no shelter and no save place, no special world to hide from the virus. You can try to ignore it and that would be dangerous, but i don't think you can forget it. I can understand many pub owners who have decided to stay closed as long as we are in an epidemic. I can't keep it closed, I need the money to live. And so I have to keep it open even if I don't like how the virus effects it .

Yes, everything I could talk about here are only first world problems but that is the only life I know. And I think the only life most pinsiders can talk about. I can’t imagine what will happen in third world countrys when the virus will be running wild there. But I am sure it will be far worse. I hope we do not forget the people in poor corners of the world if somebody finds a expensive vaccine or medicine.

#14093 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

The article isn’t super clear about that to me.

There hasn’t been anything super clear about any of this....from Day 1

#14095 3 years ago

Why are you guys so freaking threatened? I wouldn’t suggest it is. That said, there are parallels. And it’s interesting to see the difference in attitutdes, even between flu outbreaks in 1969 and 2009.

Was going more for glib/flippant vs. threatened.

Flu comparisons have a long and storied history with this virus, so when they continue to crop up they tend to evoke an initial eye roll and sigh response.

That being said, it is understandable that people want to compare this new fangled thing to something that is known, (I do it too). Assuming good intentions, it just has to be done carefully or you fall into the coin flip trap. (What are the odds I flip a coin 10 times and it comes up heads every time vs. I flipped a coin 9 times and it was heads each time. What are the odds the 10th flip is heads).

Tl:dr Not threatened, was just joshing you a bit.

#14096 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Oh yeah this checks out, looks official
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Well...that sure looks like a University of Minnesota badge holder and it looks like she's standing out front of MN Gov. mansion.

It could very well have been a last minute write in for the nearby Bethesda hospital (operated by U of M health) which has been designated a dedicated COVID19 facility which normally keeps few nurses on hand.

I don't think anyone showing up to an event like that (reopen protest) would want to have their real work ID hanging next to them.

#14097 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Well...that sure looks like a University of Minnesota badge holder and it looks like she's standing out front of MN Gov. mansion.
It could very well have been a last minute write in for the nearby Bethesda hospital (operated by U of M health) which has been designated a dedicated COVID19 facility which normally keeps few nurses on hand.
I don't think anyone showing up to an event like that (reopen protest) would want to have their real work ID hanging next to them.

that's not an ID badge, and it's obviously a faked RN badge.
This comes off on the heels of some pundits asking protesters to dress as nurses at their political rallies.

#14098 3 years ago

People coming to this thread with any kind of flu arguments or comparisons are not to be taken seriously.

There is an all out political, social media, and regular media (some networks) effort to downplay this virus. Many don't realize they are being played.

#14099 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Hayes, the 3 year old, wanted a hug and when told we couldn't give him one, started to cry. That made my wife cry.

I understand. There are these intense moments that we are forced to deal with in ways we have not have had to before. My brother passed away about a year ago at the age of 45. My mom turned 70 the other day. We had a family picture done and had my brother added into the picture. Long story short, the wife and I brought the kids over to visit on the porch. It was a very emotional moment when we gave my mom the picture. It took every fiber of my core being to not give her a hug. I almost ran up on the porch. Absolutely very difficult times right now when it comes to those real issues some people are having to face..

My thinking right now is what all of this will do to the kids of various ages...

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 282 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/282?hl=lowbeau67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.