272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 279 of 576.
#13900 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

US number of fatalities is large and the government response completely and utterly negligent, but the deaths per 100k population are barely in the top 10. Belgium is top, followed by Spain and Italy, with the UK suddenly coming on strong. All of those have 2-3x as many deaths per 100k as the US does.

Yep. Could we have done better? Probably. But for anyone to call what’s happened in this country negligent or anything else is insane. This is pretty much new territory for the modern world. No one is escaping unscathed.

And if Canada is really going to let its citizens serve as lab rats for a rushed Chinese vaccine, that’s insane. (And by the way, US citizens usually go to Canada for cheaper elective procedures, with hospitals using them to raise cash, and Canadians usually come to the US for time sensitive life-saving procedures and testing. And I used to live in Montreal)

#13901 3 years ago

We are doomed.

Kansas is starting to open up---slowly. But it is too slow for our state congress who are calling the Gov. a dictator. All the wrong signals are being sent.

I had to go to my local hardware store this afternoon. It is not very crowded and it usually is never crowded. There were probably 20 people in the store. No one was wearing a mask, except for me. The only precaution was a squirt bottle of hand sanitizer in a relatively obscure place on the counter.

We currently have 507 cases and 20 deaths in my county.

It was just another day in paradise. Like everybody is thinking "it won't happen to me."

#13902 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I have to admit, that number does seem implausibly low.

Especially when you consider the city where it started, Wuhan, has 12 million people and density similar to NYC. At the peak, they were erecting emergency, makeshift hospitals to handle all the sick and dying patients there.

But, of course, "the people's war" defeated the virus with minimal loss of life.

#13903 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Man I'm so glad you didn't stop by that day. You tryin to kill me Jay?

Lol. We’ll see

#13904 3 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

Those neck gaiters look neat as masks but I don’t know much they are actually helping. I was given one that looks almost just like that and it’s almost see through. It’s like wearing the equivalent to thick black panty hose.

First of all, these neck gaiters are not medically certified and I assumed most people would have realised that. Neither are the bandana's or paper dust masks most people are wearing.

I completely disagree with your panty hose comparison btw. I use those when robbing liquor stores or feeling sexy at home.
- See comparison pictures of material density.

I have a couple of different masks that are very long to which I turn them inside out and double them up. Reference pic #2. But even single layer is closer knit and better than panty hose.

If you followed the conversation after my post you would know that people are complaining about their glasses fogging up. Me included. That demonstrates exhaled air is taking the path of least resistance and traveling up or down. I'm guessing some air might be going forward but its minimal, blunted, moisture is trapped in the fiber and not going very far. And that's the intended purpose of wearing a mask combined with the 6 foot safety protocol.

I would love to have a medical grade mask to wear but I want those to be available to our essential workers, medical staff and first responders.

That said, I'm open to any ideas for doing this a better way. But right now I'm doing my best to be responsible with limited resources.
I also use bandana's but I find the neck gaiter better in certain ways but I'm still experimenting.
400 x 600 (resized).jpg400 x 600 (resized).jpgZIMAGE1 (resized).jpgZIMAGE1 (resized).jpg

#13907 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Funny, I used to talk with physicians in Idaho and Montana that would tell me about how many Canadians came down to get heart stents and other vital procedures in the US because they had been put on long wait lists in Canada. Many feared they would be gone by the time their number came up up north.
That was over 15 years ago but guessing it is still quite common today.

I've heard that mentioned in American media quite a bit over the years usually by various political figures, I just assumed they were lying because I've never encountered anyone family or friend that had a long wait. Likewise one of my cousins is a heart surgeon, he was even flown to China once to operate on some political figure there, the wait thing is not something he's seen. My experience is with Quebec though, maybe it's different in other provinces.

#13908 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I'd wager China alone has had well over 100k deaths. Not a snowballs chance in hell the country where this started has only had 4600 deaths.

We don't "know" where it first appeared or "started". That is a fact. Just as likely to have come from any other "research lab" in the world, considering the cases around the globe that were being kept bizarely secret and swept under the rug for half of 2019....

Wuhan was the first to broadly test for, identify, and broadcast (warned, to deaf ears) about the spread of cv19, that is it!. Simply unwaranted "accusations". Anyone in the world could have released it there anyway. Too much propoganda and wild speculation pretending to be "fact" is getting around the worlds "media machine".

The (Chyna) "story" just comes across dodgy, rather like WMD all over again

Now our PM has aspirations to be the next "deputy" ....

I just hope it doesn't end up with a repeat of the warmongering, again...

#13909 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I have to admit, that number does seem implausibly low.

Not to say that I totally trust their numbers, but there's an endless list of companies in every country around the world that has people working in China in some form or another, not to mention people that live abroad but still have family members back in China. Given that I figure we would know if the number was astronomically high because it's impossible to totally hide it. North Korea sure, who knows what's going on there but China can't be 100% opaque anymore.

#13910 3 years ago

After living in China, I can attest that it is very difficult to get any dissenting information out of anyone in any level of government there. It is also pretty difficult to get Chinese citizens to dime on the government. There are certainly exceptions to that, but information is not free flowing there. Foreign journalists are carefully watched and fed information for the most part.
but they were ,for the most part, kicked out as of the middle of March anyway.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/business/media/china-expels-american-journalists.html

China has a different understanding of the value of individual human life than we do here in the west that is for sure.

#13911 3 years ago

In a way I feel lucky that I had some kind of walking pneumonia for a month starting in mid-February. It made me mindful of how much I hate not being able to breathe right. Now that I can take a nice deep breath without coughing, I want it to stay that way.

#13913 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Who says no one is getting anything done during quarantine?
Guy Makes Amazing Jack Daniel's Water Feature For Garden While Drunk[quoted image]

o-din is this your heaven?

#13914 3 years ago

Well 8 weeks off and back to work Monday. Car parts gooo! Enjoying the fire pit I made the other day.

9928BDC1-AC1F-4C74-BD22-E7494351A060 (resized).jpeg9928BDC1-AC1F-4C74-BD22-E7494351A060 (resized).jpeg
#13915 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Well 8 weeks off and back to work Monday. Car parts gooo! Enjoying the fire pit I made the other day.
[quoted image]

Wheres the beer?

#13916 3 years ago

“Unless everyone is wearing a mask, nobody is.”

As a nation, we all need to get this basic understanding drilled into our thick heads. Otherwise we won’t see the numbers reliably decline.

Another caveat: Masks and respirators with vents (exhaust ports) do nothing to filter exhaled air. Beware.

#13917 3 years ago

Benny Hill would have a field day with this guy’s head! Haha! Great pic!

A4FAB243-913D-4EBB-BD6E-4F579FB8B9D1 (resized).jpegA4FAB243-913D-4EBB-BD6E-4F579FB8B9D1 (resized).jpeg5A21481D-BE6E-4B05-AADE-7D1971988E3A.gif5A21481D-BE6E-4B05-AADE-7D1971988E3A.gif
#13919 3 years ago

I feel like, at least for now, the best mask is the mask you'll actually wear.

#13920 3 years ago

mask (resized).pngmask (resized).png

#13921 3 years ago

“Unless everyone is wearing a mask, nobody is."

Ya. I don't think so......some people wearing a mask slows transmission
There is no way everyone is going to do anything in this country.

#13922 3 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Yep. Could we have done better? Probably. But for anyone to call what’s happened in this country negligent or anything else is insane. This is pretty much new territory for the modern world. No one is escaping unscathed.

Dismantling the pandemic early warning system literally a couple months before this happened. Negligent.

Ignoring numerous IC warnings as far back as Nov-Dec that a contagion was spreading in China. Negligent.

Completely disregarding the step-by-step, gamed out, years-in-the-making pandemic playbook created by the prior administration that was left for them. Negligent.

Failing to get masks and PPE production ramped up in January. Negligent.

Continuing to say it's "contained" well into March when it was growing. Negligent.

Then when all hell broke loose, stealing PPE the states managed to procure themselves because there was no Federal support. Negli...nah, criminal.

It's been a LOOOOOONG trail of well-documented negligence, much of it on video.

So yeah, negligent response by our Federal government and many states.

This recent article talks about all of this and more in depth:
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-timeline-trump-failures-undercut-pandemic-response-2020-4#the-government-botched-early-testing-leading-to-cascading-challenges-in-identifying-covid-19-cases-8

#13923 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I would love to have a medical grade mask to wear but I want those to be available to our essential workers, medical staff and first responders.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you so very much for doing this . You have no idea how much it’s appreciated. I wonder every day if I’m going to return to work and have a mask available or not.

#13924 3 years ago

We might have to get this out of storage .

IMG_20200515_161516 (resized).jpgIMG_20200515_161516 (resized).jpg
#13925 3 years ago

My stepson said he took a different approach in the lab with the virus. He insulted it. Yelled at it. Nothing. Then he had a better idea. He left a tape with our leader insulting it. Demeaning it. He will call later today with the results.

#13926 3 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

My stepson said he took a different approach in the lab with the virus. He insulted it. Yelled at it. Nothing. Then he had a better idea. He left a tape with our leader insulting it. Demeaning it. He will call later today with the results.

Did it go something a bit like this .

#13927 3 years ago

This sums up my feelings on Bill Gates pretty well.

Screenshot_20200515-031600_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200515-031600_Facebook (resized).jpg
#13928 3 years ago

Two studies published today, one performed in Europe, another one in China conclude that hydroxychloroquine is not helpful.

"the results of this study do not support its use in patients admitted to hospital with covid-19 who require oxygen"
https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1844

"Administration of hydroxychloroquine did not result in a significantly higher probability of negative conversion than standard of care alone in patients admitted to hospital with mainly persistent mild to moderate covid-19"
https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1849

Finally note that "Adverse events were higher in hydroxychloroquine recipients than in non-recipients"

The BMJ stands for The British Medical Journal, and this is a respectable publication, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_BMJ

In other words, hydroxychloroquine does not work on patients heavily affected (the first study) nor on those with mild symptoms (the second article), and it does have adverse side effects.
Curious to read what the self-proclaimed French expert on hydroxychloroquine (Didier Raoult) will answer... So much easier to design clinical trials when you do not have a control group!

#13929 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Benny Hill would have a field day with this guy’s head! Haha! Great pic!

Thanks! I think a face mask and dark glasses captures my good side.

#13930 3 years ago
3983F925-FB6B-4BFF-8AF3-EAB136A6F0D4 (resized).png3983F925-FB6B-4BFF-8AF3-EAB136A6F0D4 (resized).png88B90E3A-B90A-4E5D-A9FE-3282CF099A8F (resized).png88B90E3A-B90A-4E5D-A9FE-3282CF099A8F (resized).png
#13931 3 years ago

I don't know whether to applaud our creativity or cry about our state of being.

mask (resized).jpgmask (resized).jpgz1000 x 1000 (resized).jpgz1000 x 1000 (resized).jpg
#13932 3 years ago
90AEC968-4FDD-4E84-85C0-5D790CEC50B9 (resized).jpeg90AEC968-4FDD-4E84-85C0-5D790CEC50B9 (resized).jpeg
#13933 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I don't know whether to applaud our creativity or cry about our state of being.

guy needs to put a windshield wiper on that and then im impressed..2nd photo..if that many people wore those things it would just create another bottle neck while shopping..

#13934 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This sums up my feelings on Bill Gates pretty well. [quoted image]

GATESGATE!!

GATESGATE!!

nothing to see here look over there! GATESGATE!!!

#13935 3 years ago

I guess the good news is we should know which side is right about this virus in about a month as multiple states open despite not meeting the recommended milestones.

Wisconsin’s Supreme Court just struck down their stay at home order and apparently within 45 minutes of the verdict bars were packed with people who were almost 100% not wearing masks or any PPE.

#13936 3 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Not to say that I totally trust their numbers, but there's an endless list of companies in every country around the world that has people working in China in some form or another, not to mention people that live abroad but still have family members back in China. Given that I figure we would know if the number was astronomically high because it's impossible to totally hide it. North Korea sure, who knows what's going on there but China can't be 100% opaque anymore.

Never lived in China, eh? Dont underestimate the surveillance and control of information. True story—when we used to want work or upgrades to our apartment there, which had been previously declined, my wife and I would complain in private to each other and threaten to leave the residence. Viola—the fix or upgrade would be made. We would just look at each other and say, “Do they think we are stupid”. I would be followed around, and people in our neighborhood would quietly tell me they were being questioned about everything I did. Fear, intimidation and monitoring. And now, don’t forget, they’ve implemented a social credit and AI monitoring system that is truly scary. And they are exporting it all over the world, retaining access and control over the data.

So yeah, don’t trust the figures

#13937 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Two studies published today, one performed in Europe, another one in China conclude that hydroxychloroquine is not helpful.
"the results of this study do not support its use in patients admitted to hospital with covid-19 who require oxygen"
"Administration of hydroxychloroquine did not result in a significantly higher probability of negative conversion than standard of care alone in patients admitted to hospital with mainly persistent mild to moderate covid-19"
Finally note that "Adverse events were higher in hydroxychloroquine recipients than in non-recipients"
The BMJ stands for The British Medical Journal, and this is a respectable publication, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_BMJ
In other words, hydroxychloroquine does not work on patients heavily affected (the first study) nor on those with mild symptoms (the second article), and it does have adverse side effects.
Curious to read what the self-proclaimed French expert on hydroxychloroquine (Didier Raoult) will answer... So much easier to design clinical trials when you do not have a control group!

There was a time when every 5th post here was someone hyping up this snake oil. It’s amazing how powerful disinformation from trusted sources and government can be.

#13938 3 years ago

Maryland Coronavirus report 5/16

Local grocery store was stocked to pre-COVID levels today for all items except TP today... and so long as they keep tortillas in stock I'm golden there.

#13939 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

But there’s this one doctor in California who says it’s 100% effective so there!!

Where is that dude by the way?

Also haven’t heard anything from the two yokels in Bakersfield since all the holes in their “study” were exposed and they were roasted by multiple medical associations. Laura Ingraham no longer interested in them?

#13940 3 years ago

And that's the bottom line...

EX62fNIWoAEduFc (resized).jpegEX62fNIWoAEduFc (resized).jpegEX62fNMWAAEl2fU (resized).jpegEX62fNMWAAEl2fU (resized).jpeg
#13941 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This sums up my feelings on Bill Gates pretty well. [quoted image]

Well he has done sweet fuck all for me.

#13942 3 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Never lived in China, eh? Dont underestimate the surveillance and control of information. True story—when we used to want work or upgrades to our apartment there, which had been previously declined, my wife and I would complain in private to each other and threaten to leave the residence. Viola—the fix or upgrade would be made. We would just look at each other and say, “Do they think we are stupid”. I would be followed around, and people in our neighborhood would quietly tell me they were being questioned about everything I did. Fear, intimidation and monitoring. And now, don’t forget, they’ve implemented a social credit and AI monitoring system that is truly scary. And they are exporting it all over the world, retaining access and control over the data.
So yeah, don’t trust the figures

Can't wait for the social credit score to come to the states. Facebook wants to implement it. Complete control of us. What's next , no cussing . You are fined 1 credit for a violation of the verbal morality statue..

#13943 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Also haven’t heard anything from the two yokels in Bakersfield since all the holes in their “study” were exposed and they were roasted by multiple medical associations. Laura Ingraham no longer interested in them?

Wife is from Bakersfield. She says your giving yokels from Bakersfield a bad rap by including these two in their tribe.

#13944 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Can't wait for the social credit score to come to the states. Facebook wants to implement it. Complete control of us. What's next , no cussing . You are fined 1 credit for a violation of the verbal morality statue..

Yeah... this system has already made Reddit unusable for anyone right of center in politics.

#13946 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Yeah... this system has already made Reddit unusable for anyone right of center in politics.

I think this says more about Americans utilizing a more globally adopted platform like Reddit, and then finding some of their ideas are far more fringe compared to much of the globe.
But reddit is home to all sorts of kooky fascist subreddits.

#13947 3 years ago

Stay strong everyone! We can get through this! We can continue to pass legislation that encourages people not to work! We can stay closed and safe until a cure is found! Businesses can continue to pay employees to stay home! Let's just juice another 3T! We got this! This is the new normal! We are saving lives! We only save lives, we do not ruin lives!
I mean who really needs to eat! Rent and mortgage paid through Jan 2021! I know I'm sold!
What there is a food and meat shortage? Who'd a thought? I am so confused? I was raised that money grows on trees. So this new normal is super difficult for me.

I know I will be permanently banned from this thread. Please gents continue the face mask etiquette in my place.

Gretta, what am I supposed to say next? You must have something. I mean Hollywood says you will be one of the greatest leaders of our time.

Oil is bad!!!

Thank you Gretta we were unaware

#13948 3 years ago

'owners are finding creative solutions to fill vacant tables'
I'm laughing, but hey I give them credit for trying as it may work. Not sure if some people would freak out or not... definitely worth a try.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article242732751.html

Also sports stadiums may pump in recorded fan audio during fanless games.

http://local12.com/sports/reds/baseball-thinking-ahead-to-the-sound-of-silence-in-stadiums-cincinnati-mlb-reds-major-league-baseball-coronavirus

#13949 3 years ago

McDonalds has released a 59 page booklet with instructions on how to reopen and what will be required of the franchisees.

how do you think this will work out?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/14/business/mcdonalds-reopening-instructions-coronavirus/index.html

1) Workers must clean and sanitize tables after each use and restrooms every 30 minutes. McDonald's (MCD) recommends using a tracking sheet to document the cleanings.

2) Restaurants don't have to turn on their touch-screen kiosks, but if they do, those screens and key pads have to be cleaned after every use.

3) They'll also have to close self-serve beverage bars.

4) Instead, employees must pour drinks out for customers, preferably using fountains usually designated for the drive-thru.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 279 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/279?hl=wrb1977 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.