272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 278 of 576.
#13850 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

As a fun example of supply chain hiccups, if we had a vaccine ready to go today, we still couldn’t distribute it because there is a shortage of glass bottles right now. Can’t just put it in a mason jar. Takes a special kind of river sand and there isn’t enough of it in the supply chain right now to make the shit ton of bottles needed.
Also, there is to a lesser degree a supply chain bottleneck on the membranes and plastic caps that go on the bottles.
My worry is that the shortages will still exist when the vaccine is ready to go and so they will pull vials from other medicine supply chain (vaccines, Insulin, etc) which will then create ANOTHER problem.

Your points are all valid. I don't know if there is a precedent for trying to build up a supply of 320M vaccinations which is what is being done as they risk-start manufacturing hoping for successful test outcome. Storage, refrigeration if needed, distribution all become new challenges. Also, back-of-the envelope calculation shows that if we open up 100 distribution sites in all 50 states it will still take 4 1/2 months of around-the-clock distribution*. I had originally assumed they would use pneumatic injection (much faster) like I remember from 40+ years ago, but I haven't heard that mentioned anywhere.

* Technically, I think we only need 50-60% of the population vaccinated for "herd immunity".

#13851 3 years ago

Oh the irony.

#13852 3 years ago

So I see we are right back where we were two months ago...promising a vaccine in months when WE ALL KNOW it'll be over a year.

People can't possibly be buying this nonsense, can they?

#13853 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Everything that is happening now is being recorded in "HI DEF. "
There will be no denying who said what , and what they did .
Future generations will be the judge of who was right and who was wrong .

True, but you're making a huge assumption that facts will matter. In this brave new world of "Alternative Facts" (TM), facts certainly seem to have taken a backseat to viral media content.

Also, thinking of this as right and wrong is, in my opinion, incorrect. Is it possible that both sides are right but just using a different lens to filter the situation through? This is going to sound insensitive but it comes down to the price of a human life. On one side, if any loss of life is too great you're going to support lockdown no matter how long it takes. On the other side, stemming the potential economic loss is worth some number of deaths. The answer, as usual, is somewhere in the middle.

#13854 3 years ago

When you desperately need to get an arcade during the quarantine:

Screenshot_20200509-235606~3 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200509-235606~3 (resized).png
#13855 3 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

This is going to sound insensitive but it comes down to the price of a human life

Now you are talking like the risk management officer in an insurance company who studies the actuarial tables.

#13856 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

It is a metaphor that has been used in this thread before that shows the difference in the two sides, those that want to continue to “lock down” (dying) and those that want to “open up” (living).

Quotes from movies really are the BEST way to make critical life decisions.

#13857 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So I see we are right back where we were two months ago...promising a vaccine in months when WE ALL KNOW it'll be over a year.
People can't possibly be buying this nonsense, can they?

Prez says the military will be mobilized to distribute the vaccine. Says by the end of the year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/14/coronavirus-latest-updates.html

“You know it’s a massive job to give this vaccine,” Trump said in an interview with Fox Business Network. “Our military is now being mobilized, so at the end of the year, we’re going to be able to give it to a lot of people very, very rapidly.”

#13858 3 years ago

It's hilarious to me that people think we are "locked down."

I'm in the epicenter of this global crisis, and I can spend my entire day walking around the city, going for bike rides, and I can have carry out chinese for lunch and carry out sushi for dinner. Or maybe I'll get a steak, not sure. I can buy booze. I snooze in the grass in the park.

Attica this is not.

#13859 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

When you desperately need to get an arcade during the quarantine:[quoted image]

I respect the effort.

#13860 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

...or more than a year...or never???

#13861 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm in the epicenter of this global crisis, and I can spend my entire day walking around the city, going for bike rides, and I can have carry out chinese for lunch and carry out sushi for dinner. Or maybe I'll get a steak, not sure. I can buy booze. I snooze in the grass in the park.

Agreed...we are clearly not “locked down” and never have been. As for myself, I use it as a generic term covering stay at home orders, stay safer orders, social distancing, masks, businesses being closed or altered, etc. I honestly don’t know what to call this state of limbo we are in.

#13862 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

...or more than a year...or never???

Better to just lie and say one is coming in a couple months. It goes down better.

#13864 3 years ago

#13865 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Prez says the military will be mobilized to distribute the vaccine. Says by the end of the year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/14/coronavirus-latest-updates.html

“You know it’s a massive job to give this vaccine,” Trump said in an interview with Fox Business Network. “Our military is now being mobilized, so at the end of the year, we’re going to be able to give it to a lot of people very, very rapidly.”

In exchange for all our firearms at the same time?

#13866 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Better to just lie and say one is coming in a couple months. It goes down better.

I think the play is just to claim you never said it later.

#13867 3 years ago

So I decided to take the plunge, I just went and took the antibody test. I’ll have results in 24-48 hours. I decided to because a good friend of mine who I hung out with a lot pre-quarantine just tested positive for the antibody.

#13868 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

In exchange for all our firearms at the same time?

That’s about as likely to happen as the vaccine being distributed by the military - or in fact anybody - in 2020.

#13869 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Attica this is not.

RTR's Lockdown Life:

Today I had my yard mowed. Right now there are 3 guys (all wearing masks) installing a new HVAC in my house. We are hangin' outside enjoying the sun and wearing masks when inside. Yesterday we had groceries delivered and I went to the pharmacy to pick up some things. Filled up my truck with cheap diesel. Construction crews going in the neighborhood. Weed and feed guy came by and did treatments. USPS, UPS, and Fedex all delivered stuff in the past couple of days. We've ordered food from restaurants and had it delivered. Except for 5 guys, I picked that up bc I wanted to eat some hot fries. I wore a mask and limited my time inside 5 guys. The 3 guys working in 5 guys were all masked up.

We are heading to the park later. We will stay away from others, but have masks handy.

Things I wouldn't do right now regardless - eat inside a restaurant, work out inside a gym, go to a movie, concert, funeral, or church service, strap on my AR-15 and protest with the Michigan Militia, have a BBQ with 20 of my closest friends who all swear they have 'been careful' and 'feel fine', lick a doorknob, get a face tattoo or perm, go on a cruise, criticize Dr. Fauci.

#13870 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

RTR's Lockdown Life:
Today I had my yard mowed. Right now there are 3 guys (all wearing masks) installing a new HVAC in my house. We are hangin' outside enjoying the sun and wearing masks when inside. Yesterday we had groceries delivered and I went to the pharmacy to pick up some things. Filled up my truck with cheap diesel. Construction crews going in the neighborhood. Weed and feed guy came by and did treatments. USPS, UPS, and Fedex all delivered stuff in the past couple of days. We've ordered food from restaurants and had it delivered. Except for 5 guys, I picked that up bc I wanted to eat some hot fries. I wore a mask and limited my time inside 5 guys. The 3 guys working in 5 guys were all masked up.
We are heading to the park later. We will stay away from others, but have masks handy.
Things I wouldn't do right now regardless - eat inside a restaurant, work out inside a gym, go to a movie, concert, funeral, or church service, strap on my AR-15 and protest with the Michigan Militia, have a BBQ with 20 of my closest friends who all swear they have 'been careful' and 'feel fine', lick a doorknob, get a face tattoo or perm, go on a cruise, criticize Dr. Fauci.

Best. Post. Ever.

#13871 3 years ago

Today's talking point:

New Zealand, Japan, Germany, and South Korea are islands.

#13872 3 years ago

Apparently there are saliva tests in Hong Kong that only take hours.

So when is the US getting these?

#13873 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I wish people would stop complaining about testing, we have the best testing of all the countries. They literally call us up and ask us how we are doing it. It is Amazing:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/13/abbotts-coronavirus-test-misses-nearly-50-percent-of-positive-cases-study/

#13874 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

So I decided to take the plunge, I just went and took the antibody test. I’ll have results in 24-48 hours. I decided to because a good friend of mine who I hung out with a lot pre-quarantine just tested positive for the antibody.

OK, but remain defensive. A number of these tests generate false positives.

#13875 3 years ago

How can I be considered "locked down" when I just went to the liquor store in my car on my own schedule and own time?

#13876 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

OK, but remain defensive. A number of these tests generate false positives.

Not much is going to change on my part, I live and work a pretty solitary life outside my home life. If I am positive I plan on donating plasma to help the cause. This is the exact test I took by the way

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=14&ved=2ahUKEwj2urTv-7PpAhWNHM0KHYOWAaEQFjANegQICxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chicagotribune.com%2Fcoronavirus%2Fny-coronavirus-fda-emergency-approval-antibody-test-roche-20200503-2xsz7rmhyzfsdfaoiwwgdxctgu-story.html%3FoutputType%3Damp&usg=AOvVaw0grcfcsniEChI_RJY3vM6A

#13877 3 years ago

Who says no one is getting anything done during quarantine?

Guy Makes Amazing Jack Daniel's Water Feature For Garden While Drunk

Screenshot_20200514-133504~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200514-133504~2 (resized).png
#13879 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Good for you on getting your life together! That being said, I don’t believe prison or doing time had anything to do with his post. I think you may have missed the point. It is a metaphor that has been used in this thread before that shows the difference in the two sides, those that want to continue to “lock down” (dying) and those that want to “open up” (living).[quoted image]

The irony here is that you could reverse the sides and it would still hold!

#13880 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

It's not just Hong Kong, other places like my home city of Montreal, Canada have had quick tests for a while now. My nephew a few weeks ago had to deal with an appendix issue back home so they tested him for covid while he was there, he got the all clear in a few hours. My entire family back home is in medical so I oddly hung out at hospitals back in the 70's, back then I would always see Americans come pleading for help, offering cash for service, etc, something I never understood back then because I was too young but it totally makes sense now. Medical trips to Canada I guess have been a thing for decades so maybe for those that really want to get a test, perhaps a quick trip to Canada would sort that for you if you live near the border.

We have a bulk testing system here:

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/trying-out-la-s-new-coronavirus-testing-regime

...idea being to test as many people as quickly as possible, but I think the results still take a few days. Then again we do have millions of people to tend to so I get it, they are trying to go for mass population testing rather than just test turnaround time.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Attica this is not.

Same here, we go outside every day. The term "lock down" really did everyone a disservice, whoever coined that term for all this should never work in public relations.

#13881 3 years ago

watched some of that Covid-19 whistleblower testimony today and WOW. Just damning stuff.
Amazing how some people are like "Tell me the details of emails in January, the severity of the impacts on the populace, and the executive decisions made in this time frame" and other people are like "did you get a doctor's note to be here right now? If you didn't do your time sheet properly last week, how can we even be talking to you? HAVE YOU NO SHAME UNDERMINING THE ADMINISTRATION'S PERFECT GLORIOUS TRACK RECORD?"

#13882 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s about as likely to happen as the vaccine being distributed by the military - or in fact anybody - in 2020.

We got the announcement last week a bunch of firearms are now illegal and the vaccine is coming from a China company that is involved with the Chinese military. Trials are ongoing in Wuhan now and will start in Halifax in September. Oh and it will be mandatory if our holed up leader gets his way. Welcome to the new dictatorship of Canada.

#13883 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Today's talking point:
New Zealand, Japan, Germany, and South Korea are islands.

Wait... did they move Germany? Again?

I'll give you this though, a lot of NYC is an island but I don't think you can count it if you can still get there by car or train.

#13884 3 years ago

With the testing for this in the USA I can only imagine how great the vaccine rollout could be...

Seriously these guys could ruin a rock fight! ... Not lying

#13885 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Some people want to fight wearing a mask while I'm gonna have fun with it. This new one arrived yesterday and I have some other stylish masks coming soon. Wear your mask and show you care.
[quoted image]

Those neck gaiters look neat as masks but I don’t know much they are actually helping. I was given one that looks almost just like that and it’s almost see through. It’s like wearing the equivalent to thick black panty hose.

#13886 3 years ago

Friendly reminder that even if it doesn’t kill the young and healthy, covid still can mess them up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/opinion/coronavirus-young-people.html?referringSource=articleShare

#13887 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Good for you on getting your life together! That being said, I don’t believe prison or doing time had anything to do with his post. I think you may have missed the point. It is a metaphor that has been used in this thread before that shows the difference in the two sides, those that want to continue to “lock down” (dying) and those that want to “open up” (living).[quoted image]

Yeah, it's like sex. Condoms reduce my pleasure. I want to live (have unprotected sex) vs. dying (wearing a condom). Yeah, I may get a disease that never goes away/shortens my life or knock a gal up and ruin her life, but I'm willing to take that risk. Those condom users just ain't living.

#13888 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, on the vaccine front, don't be surprised if a few become available towards the end of this year. May only be available initially for frontline workers, though.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-oxford-university-vaccine-and-other-efforts-to-beat-coronavirus-2020-05-14?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

#13889 3 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

It's not just Hong Kong, other places like my home city of Montreal, Canada have had quick tests for a while now. My nephew a few weeks ago had to deal with an appendix issue back home so they tested him for covid while he was there, he got the all clear in a few hours. My entire family back home is in medical so I oddly hung out at hospitals back in the 70's, back then I would always see Americans come pleading for help, offering cash for service, etc, something I never understood back then because I was too young but it totally makes sense now. Medical trips to Canada I guess have been a thing for decades so maybe for those that really want to get a test, perhaps a quick trip to Canada would sort that for you if you live near the border.
We have a bulk testing system here:
https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/trying-out-la-s-new-coronavirus-testing-regime
...idea being to test as many people as quickly as possible, but I think the results still take a few days. Then again we do have millions of people to tend to so I get it, they are trying to go for mass population testing rather than just test turnaround time.

Same here, we go outside every day. The term "lock down" really did everyone a disservice, whoever coined that term for all this should never work in public relations.

Funny, I used to talk with physicians in Idaho and Montana that would tell me about how many Canadians came down to get heart stents and other vital procedures in the US because they had been put on long wait lists in Canada. Many feared they would be gone by the time their number came up up north.

That was over 15 years ago but guessing it is still quite common today.

#13890 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I wish people would stop complaining about testing, we have the best testing of all the countries. They literally call us up and ask us how we are doing it. It is Amazing:
https://nypost.com/2020/05/13/abbotts-coronavirus-test-misses-nearly-50-percent-of-positive-cases-study/

They must have gotten their technology from China. I remember 1-2 months back China was selling Covid tests to Europe that were so bad, they were all returned within a few weeks.

#13891 3 years ago

Amazon to make face shields to sell at cost to healthcare workers and eventually to public.

#13892 3 years ago

Man I'm so glad you didn't stop by that day. You tryin to kill me Jay?

#13893 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

For a big country , they like to pack us in like sardines now .
Gone are the days of a quarter acre block and a big backyard .

I think you could be right , I don't think population density has that much to do with it .
I think it's more about how governments acted and how the people have followed instructions .
After a quick Google search , numbers are approx.
India - 2500
Japan - 700
South Korea - 250
Mexico - 4000
Germany - 8000
Russia - 2300
China - 4500
( you can take with a Grain of salt Russia and China's numbers )
I could be totally wrong , but it doesn't appear as having a large population or density necessarily equals large numbers of deaths .
[quoted image]

Do you really believe those numbers are remotely close for China, Russia, India, and Mexico? I'll go along with you on Japan and So. Korea.

#13894 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200514-172307~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200514-172307~2 (resized).png
#13895 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Other than general information, this doesn't really help your avoidance strategy because they have no idea IF antibodies give you immunity and if they do, how long that immunity lasts. SARS and MERS immunity was only temporary.

And then you have the issue of false positives and negatives. The abbot labs one gives false results more than 40% of the time.

#13896 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Do you really believe those numbers are remotely close for China, Russia, India, and Mexico? I'll go along with you on Japan and So. Korea.

US number of fatalities is large and the government response completely and utterly negligent, but the deaths per 100k population are barely in the top 10. Belgium is top, followed by Spain and Italy, with the UK suddenly coming on strong. All of those have 2-3x as many deaths per 100k as the US does.

#13897 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

US number of fatalities is large and the government response completely and utterly negligent, but the deaths per 100k population are barely in the top 10. Belgium is top, followed by Spain and Italy, with the UK suddenly coming on strong. All of those have 2-3x as many deaths per 100k as the US does.

I'd wager China alone has had well over 100k deaths. Not a snowballs chance in hell the country where this started has only had 4600 deaths.

#13898 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I'd wager China alone has had well over 100k deaths. Not a snowballs chance in hell the country where this started has only had 4600 deaths.

I have to admit, that number does seem implausibly low.

#13899 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Other than general information, this doesn't really help your avoidance strategy because they have no idea IF antibodies give you immunity and if they do, how long that immunity lasts. SARS and MERS immunity was only temporary.
And then you have the issue of false positives and negatives. The abbot labs one gives false results more than 40% of the time.

Yeah this one wasn’t the Abbots lab one, and like I said before it won’t change my life either way, if I am positive at least I can be of some help, instead of sitting around doing nothing,being scared, not my style.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 278 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/278?hl=rwmech5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.