272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 277 of 576.
#13800 3 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Do you realy want to know what I think?
I am a pessimist, I think there will be no vaccine in the next 4-5 years, perhaps never. And almost every economy will collapse in the near future.
I hope that they will find treatment methods so not so many will die. Perhaps with early thrombosis treatments, or something else the death rate will go down. But then over time we will see, more often than we want, heavy long-term damage to health for people who survived it and that could be even worse. And three years or less after you got covid you can get it again, perhaps like the flu, wave to wave, again and again.
Social distancing will be the new normality. No more pubs, concerts, sport events. No more hugs!
The gap between rich and poor will become bigger, with way more poor than rich and nothing between. Chaos and violence on the street. People or countrys will not stand together, it will be everybody against everybody, nation against nation. Perhaps the conflict between China and the USA will become the next big war. After the spanish flu we got 2 world wars. And even if we survive the third, the european union will drift apart for sure. No more globalism will hit the people in the third world even more. Hunger, refugees and war everywhere. We will see many nations with totalitarian systems rising up in europe and everywhere else in the world, I hope not my country again. And when we think it will be getting better again, there will be the next virus even worth than covid was.
That's what I think for the future, and that is why I can't get sleep at night anymore, I said it before, I am a pessimist. I will never show this view of the future to the people around me cause there is still a chance that I am wrong. And so every day I try to prevent the bad future I see with small things that are possible for me. Even if I personally don't see any light. I will not go out without a fight.

So what’s the bad news?

#13801 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Some people want to fight wearing a mask while I'm gonna have fun with it. This new one arrived yesterday and I have some other stylish masks coming soon. Wear your mask and show you care.

How do you keep your sunglasses from fogging up?

#13802 3 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I am a pessimist, I think there will be no vaccine in the next 4-5 years, perhaps never. And almost every economy will collapse in the near future.
I hope that they will find treatment methods so not so many will die. Perhaps with early thrombosis treatments, or something else the death rate will go down. But then over time we will see, more often than we want, heavy long-term damage to health for people who survived it and that could be even worse. And three years or less after you got covid you can get it again, perhaps like the flu, wave to wave, again and again.
Social distancing will be the new normality. No more pubs, concerts, sport events. No more hugs!
The gap between rich and poor will become bigger, with way more poor than rich and nothing between. Chaos and violence on the street. People or countrys will not stand together, it will be everybody against everybody, nation against nation. Perhaps the conflict between China and the USA will become the next big war. After the spanish flu we got 2 world wars. And even if we survive the third, the european union will drift apart for sure. No more globalism will hit the people in the third world even more. Hunger, refugees and war everywhere. We will see many nations with totalitarian systems rising up in europe and everywhere else in the world, I hope not my country again. And when we think it will be getting better again, there will be the next virus even worth than covid was.
That's what I think for the future, and that is why I can't get sleep at night anymore, I said it before, I am a pessimist. I will never show this view of the future to the people around me cause there is still a chance that I am wrong. And so every day I try to prevent the bad future I see with small things that are possible for me. Even if I personally don't see any light. I will not go out without a fight.

Man , besides zombies that is the ultimate worst case scenario . And I was just worried football wouldn't start this year . Try not to stress about things you can't control or that haven't happened yet . We WILL get through this , don't worry about that .

#13803 3 years ago

BOSS BITCH FIGHT CHALLENGE - Zoe Bell

#13804 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

With a mask on my sunglasses fog up when I exhale. But they un-fog when I inhale. So it balances out.

#13805 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

He doesn't. Esp helps with not being able to see the aftermath of his wake.
images (6) (resized).jpegimages (6) (resized).jpeg

#13806 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So what’s the bad news?

That's why I like people from New York.

#13807 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This. Try as I might my glasses always fog. End up walking around blind with my glasses on or half blind with them off.

#13808 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Mask up high and pinned underneath my glasses against my face. This lessens the fogging, but not perfect. For some reason mouth breathing works better and I've got it pretty good now. Experiment a bit and see what works for you.

#13809 3 years ago

Wisconsin supreme court just invalidated state lockdown...

#13810 3 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

But *independent* of the study and purely anecdotal, I highly recommend adding in vitamin D to your diet!!

I've been into healthy living since my twenties and agree. More and more research is showing a variety of possible benefits from Vitamin D and its relatively inexpensive.

#13812 3 years ago

Don't shoot the doe messenger!

#13813 3 years ago

You know folks I'm really disappointed in people ...hardly any one wearing masks anywhere and no one seems to care. I can't over rule the president of my company but I'm going to suggest it at tomorrow's meeting that he attends. No one in office wearing masks?? ..except me ..no one enters my office except the president.

#13814 3 years ago

The HR guy is a kiss-ass

#13815 3 years ago

Fauci is popular. The administration is not. It’s insanity that they would throw him under the bus, but everyone saw him telegraphing that pitch. Whatever. He’s got bigger fish to fry with Howard Stern.

#13816 3 years ago

As a long time mask wearer the key is that little strip of metal that goes over your nose. Make sure that is fitted to the bridge of your nose and your glasses won't fog.

If your mask doesn't have a metal strip in it you are SOL.

#13817 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I've been into healthy living since my twenties and agree. More and more research is showing a variety of possible benefits from Vitamin D and its relatively inexpensive.

The best kind is in fact free.

Your body gets its Vitamin D by exposure to sunlight. At least that is the natural way.

Being locked indoors does not exactly promote vitamin D production....

#13818 3 years ago

The right has been criticizing the doctors and scientists all along, they are making an economic argument and trying to discredit the health and data driven argument. As Fauci pointed out in his response to Rand Paul, he can only talk about what he has expertise in, he's a doctor, not an economist.

My realtor is married to a doctor of epidemiology at the University of Washington, I'm Facebook friends with him and he posts some interesting stuff. He had this to say about Fauci: "I am a scientist and have spoken with Tony Fauci on numerous occasions since 2005. I promise you he has the best intentions for people in this country when making decisions." I tend to believe this guy who's known and worked with him for 15 years over the talking heads.

#13819 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Fauci is popular. The administration is not. It’s insanity that they would throw him under the bus, but everyone saw him telegraphing that pitch. Whatever. He’s got bigger fish to fry with Howard Stern.

Hey man nice to see you back again.

#13820 3 years ago

California State U. System Will Conduct Most Fall Classes Online

https://www.chronicle.com/article/California-State-U-System/248759

I suspect we’ll see more announcements like that from other colleges and universities once all the non-refundable deposits have come in.

Could be a good year for students who are still on the waitlist for their dream school since a lot of first year undergrads are likely to defer if they can’t have the true college experience. Should be less of an issue for returning students to do another semester online.

#13821 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

For some reason mouth breathing works better and I've got it pretty good now.

Weird. The mouth breathers in my parts are the ones not wearing masks.

Do you have a link for that one? My face gets hot and I have a beard, so the sewn masks aren't really working well for me. That looks like it would work well.

#13822 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200424-141504~3 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200424-141504~3 (resized).png
#13823 3 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I hope you and your family are doing well. These are tough times, to be sure.

I feel that I should share this with you. I hope it finds you well, and anyone else that is troubled right now.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

#13824 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

As a long time mask wearer the key is that little strip of metal that goes over your nose. Make sure that is fitted to the bridge of your nose and your glasses won't fog.

Thanks, you've given me an idea. As I said, I've been using my glasses to pin my mask down. But it might be more efficient if I were to repurpose a paperclip or something similar with a sticky value to it. I'm going to look through my junk drawer or wander through Home Depot for something I might use.
Hopefully I won't sacrifice my cool factor and look silly.

zzzzCXB1Y0eUwAE9f9v (resized).jpgzzzzCXB1Y0eUwAE9f9v (resized).jpg
#13825 3 years ago

Most don't.

Isn't the primary point of requiring masks to keep airborne droplets with the wearer, rather than act like a full respirator/N95?

#13826 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Thanks, you've given me an idea. As I said, I've been using my glasses to pin my mask down. But it might be more efficient if I were to repurpose a paperclip or something similar with a sticky value to it. I'm going to look through my junk drawer or wander through Home Depot for something I might use.
[quoted image]

Ahh so it's a profit deal...

#13827 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

I think you could make a lot of money with that idea.

#13829 3 years ago

“...and that’s goddamn right.”

#13830 3 years ago

The viral video of the argumentative toddler is hilarious and on point.

#13831 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Most don't.
Isn't the primary point of requiring masks to keep airborne droplets with the wearer, rather than act like a full respirator/N95?

Yes but the question was how to stop glasses from fogging when wearing a mask.

#13832 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hey man nice to see you back again.

Hey-o.

#13833 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

This is a great in depth article about transmission, it's clear where most people are going to get infected is at work, in a restaurant, at a party, or any other place they spend a couple hours around someone who's infected and doesn't yet have symptoms. The other main place is at home, from someone that brought it home from one of these places. This is precisely why I think restaurants, bars, and inside workspaces should remain closed for at least a few more weeks.
https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Great info. Here’s an interview with the guy who wrote the article:

#13834 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200513-215510~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200513-215510~2 (resized).png
#13835 3 years ago

Yes but the question was how to stop glasses from fogging when wearing a mask.

Go on HSN and buy the airplane glass cleaner.It actually works for awile.

#13836 3 years ago

Daditude I’m still wondering why me n wife got money .Were both still working and saving money from not going out,vacations or kids travel sports.I would’ve donated it all but we’ve been down 4-5 k in tax returns as went to a 15 year recently ,can’t claim interest on Park model camper ,and no more claiming work tools or clothes.So donated 20% to st Jude.

#13837 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Daditude I’m still wondering why me n wife got money

Because the government wants you to stimulate the economy with it. That's the idea behind giving people the money.

#13838 3 years ago

To be fair, these are virologists working in a BSL-4 lab - the highest level of safety, used for the most deadly viruses like Ebola. There are only a handful of labs like this one in each country. For example, only one civilian in France. To work there, you need specific training and a specific accreditation. Performing experiments is complicated, cumbersome, slow and extremely expensive (maintenance / certification costs are huge).

SARS-CoV2 requires level 3 - same as HIV for example. The virology lab would look less fancy but access is (thankfully) still heavily restricted. You still need specific training and an accreditation (both for staff and equipment, and not all BSL-3 labs are authorized for SARS-CoV2). This is one of the bottlenecks for experiments currently done on this virus: not enough trained staff available.

At level 2 (at which I am accredited) you can work on defective versions of these viruses, which can't replicate for example; they would be able to infect one cell but would not replicate (You make damn sure first they can't recombine with some genetic material around to produce a full virus!).

At level 1, you basically work on non pathogenic material - such as normal cells. What you want to do there is to keep your cells healthy and free from external contaminations (bacteria, fungi, viruses... human cells are fragile).

#13839 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Make sure when you analyze data you are comparing apples to apples...just my 2 cents.

And you're comparing Hawaii to Australia or New Zealand!!

#13840 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

“...and that’s goddamn right.”

You are probably a good citizen and haven't done time. I sold lots of pot when I was young and have. The situation we are in is nothing like doing time. It is somewhat similar to pre trial after indictment(s), if your not a rat and are facing a long sentence. Your freedom is restricted if you've made bail. Your anxiety is through the roof as you don't know how much time you will get. It's way worse than prison. Prison is easy. Do your own time. I was in many different federal prisons at different levels (camp, FCI, penitentiary). I worked hard to get my college degree inside, and did. I knew how much time I had to do. Pre trial was harder than doing time. So much anxiety. Like now. So please don't compare this to doing time. It's nothing like it. People are actually more respectful in prison for the most part. Or face consequences for their behavior.

#13841 3 years ago

Our local govt's and some call this a "lockdown" which in and of itself creates anxiety. We are sheltering in place. We are not in a lockdown. It's the anxiety of the unknown that causes most humans issues as most don't have the ability to recognize the feeling. They just feel miserable. And often cope with it in unhealthy ways. Key is recognizing the feeling, and understanding that it will pass. We get to be with family, eat whatever we want, exercise at will. We are far from being locked down.

#13842 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Howard Stern aka "Boff" speaks the truth There is a segment of the population that are anti science, intellectual and for the better part, common sense. Fauci and the others are the experts and the biggest brains in the field. The take the current data they have and crunch the numbers for rate of infection, rate of spread etc. This isn't a new thing for them with studying other viruses so they know their shit. They've been pretty spot on with their assessment but others don't want to hear their recommendations because its not painting the picture they want to see. Don't shoot the messenger, right?

Like "the Wolf" says - "I'm not here to say please, I'm here to tell you what to do and if self-preservation is an instinct you possess you'd better fucking do it and do it quick. I'm here to help - if my help's not appreciated then lotsa luck, gentlemen."
tumblr_o2pe4gApTS1sr5vsyo2_r2_500.giftumblr_o2pe4gApTS1sr5vsyo2_r2_500.gif

#13844 3 years ago
Quoted from clg:

It's more than just population and density. Both Aussie and NZ have dense cities

For a big country , they like to pack us in like sardines now .
Gone are the days of a quarter acre block and a big backyard .

Quoted from clg:

The big difference is that both Aussie and NZ took consistent national approaches

I think you could be right , I don't think population density has that much to do with it .
I think it's more about how governments acted and how the people have followed instructions .
After a quick Google search , numbers are approx.
India - 2500
Japan - 700
South Korea - 250
Mexico - 4000
Germany - 8000
Russia - 2300
China - 4500
( you can take with a Grain of salt Russia and China's numbers )
I could be totally wrong , but it doesn't appear as having a large population or density necessarily equals large numbers of deaths .

IMG_20200515_000717 (resized).jpgIMG_20200515_000717 (resized).jpg
#13845 3 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

And you're comparing Hawaii to Australia or New Zealand!!

Yes. Here is what I said...

If you want to compare numbers with Australia or New Zealand use our state of Hawaii for something at least comparable, but with a lesser but still significant population.

Of our 50 states, Hawaii is the most comparable to New Zealand as they are both islands and are both naturally isolated making lockdowns easier, more effective, and ultimately more successful. I even acknowledged the population difference. So yes, they are comparable in some ways.

My point was comparing our ENTIRE nation’s numbers as a whole to New Zealand is NOT apples to apples and that comparing an individual state is more appropriate.

#13846 3 years ago

Stanford unlikely to bring all undergrads back in fall or delay quarter, admins say Administrators outline possible “new normal” of residential, academic life

https://www.stanforddaily.com/2020/05/12/stanford-unlikely-to-bring-all-undergrads-back-in-fall-or-delay-quarter-admins-say/

The rest of the dominoes will probably start falling (though probably not until early June) now that they have the “cover” of “well, if Stanford with their world-class hospital, state of the art facilities, and $27 billion endowment says they are not taking a business as usual approach this fall semester, what are we supposed to do?”

#13847 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

There is a segment of the population that are anti science, intellectual and for the better part, common sense. Fauci and the others are the experts and the biggest brains in the field.

Everything that is happening now is being recorded in "HI DEF. "
There will be no denying who said what , and what they did .
Future generations will be the judge of who was right and who was wrong .

#13848 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Wisconsin supreme court just invalidated state lockdown...

And as far as I can see, there is/was nothing waiting in the wings to replace it. So, for now, WI is wide-open. No restrictions.

My wife and I, who very rarely go anywhere to drink, went to my friend's bar and threw him a ten-spot for two beers. Because the poor guy desperately needs to save his business.

Was nice to sit at the bar and shoot the shit with him and his girlfriend. From 6 feet away, of course. *eye roll*

#13849 3 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

You are probably a good citizen and haven't done time. I sold lots of pot when I was young and have. The situation we are in is nothing like doing time. It is somewhat similar to pre trial after indictment(s), if your not a rat and are facing a long sentence. Your freedom is restricted if you've made bail. Your anxiety is through the roof as you don't know how much time you will get. It's way worse than prison. Prison is easy. Do your own time. I was in many different federal prisons at different levels (camp, FCI, penitentiary). I worked hard to get my college degree inside, and did. I knew how much time I had to do. Pre trial was harder than doing time. So much anxiety. Like now. So please don't compare this to doing time. It's nothing like it. People are actually more respectful in prison for the most part. Or face consequences for their behavior.

Good for you on getting your life together! That being said, I don’t believe prison or doing time had anything to do with his post. I think you may have missed the point. It is a metaphor that has been used in this thread before that shows the difference in the two sides, those that want to continue to “lock down” (dying) and those that want to “open up” (living).

33870D7D-A92A-49FF-A034-BA28EA9496FF (resized).png33870D7D-A92A-49FF-A034-BA28EA9496FF (resized).png
There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 277 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/277?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.