272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 274 of 576.
#13650 3 years ago

I’m not sure who comes to a COVID-19 thread for good news and happy talk.

Things are still shitty. They are still going to be shitty. For a while.

All of the “good news” that’s been posted here for 2 months - happy talk, Miracle cures, etc. - has all proven to be hot air.

Denial and happy talk isn’t going to fix this. Being realistic, accepting what we are facing, and dealing with it in a scientific - rather than emotional - way is the only way out.

That’s not doom and gloom. It’s reality.

#13651 3 years ago

My mom is in a senior community in an independent living apartment. They have managed the outbreak fairly well compared to other senior communities in Virginia and give daily updates as to resident and staff Covid cases. I have not seen my Mom for 2-1/2 months because of the self isolation policies. I certainly don't want to wait until after November to see her again, but honestly I don't think I will see her until at least next March. I am willing to do whatever it takes to keep safe myself and for my mom to be safe. The virus does not care about politics and nobody can force a good economy.

If I get the virus that will be my bad luck in spite of being careful, but I am not going to go out and be careless so someone else can benefit.

#13652 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I think you may have misread or misinterpreted the post. If you read what was stated - Georgia reopened April 24 (NOT within the past 24 HOURS) and since then there have been 1400 or so deaths. That is what the article said which is what I thought to share.

Sorry to burst anyone's fantasy but things are not going all that great. What is happening in the US is not the positive puppy dogs and ice cream as some may think. Everyone has a long way to go before there is vaccine. The US has NO plan going forward except to open up and let people die that are going to die. That's not a plan and we knew this was coming in January. Without testing (which not everyone cant get no matter what they say) you cant open up blindly when the guy next to you in the office may be infected. So, I wasn't trying to offend you by posting something contradictory but to possibly discuss. Instead I was downvoted and dismissed.

The whole purpose of the lockdown in the beginning was to flatten the curve, correct? Well a lot of states have a downtrend and are allowed to open with restrictions. I don't think there is anything wrong with this. We cannot remain shutdown until there is a vaccine!! My .02

#13653 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Now, there’s no diversity of perspective and this thread is more closed minded than ever

For someone concerned about diversity, you sure manage to stay busy thumbing down a lot of posts.

#13654 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

That’s what I don’t think the people who are protesting understand. If you remove all restrictions and just let the virus go, we will be back to where we started and probably worse. Now you’ve made the pain of shutting down even worse and caused another spike in infections and thus another shutdown.

I'm going to be honest with you, I dont think that opening things up in Ohio will matter much because I don't see many people taking this seriously anyways and the ones that do will still stay home.

It ticks me off that people dont care but I cant control other people unfortunately so I gotta just roll with it and try to protect myself the best that i can. I am probably doomed anyway because i have to work around people and even my work isn't taking it serious.

#13655 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Not only this thread, but also the media narrative.

There is no "media Narrative" There are so many media sources available that the only "narrative" is the one you decide to identify and follow(or not) with your personal bias'.

#13656 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

The whole purpose of the lockdown in the beginning was to flatten the curve, correct? Well a lot of states have a downtrend and are allowed to open with restrictions. I don't think there is anything wrong with this. We cannot remain shutdown until there is a vaccine!! My .02

Who is saying to have a shutdown until a vaccine is available?
The only thing I have seen mentioned is stages of re-openings and measures to control the spread as things open back up. It would be asinine for everyone to just jump back out there without doing things to limit the spreading of the virus. You can have a re-opening in concert with sensible measures/rules for safety.

#13657 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I don't think (most) people would argue with that. No way we (you) can remain in shutdown until a vaccine is available for everyone.

But this does not mean people should pretend it never happened and stop taking minimal precautions.
It's unclear to me how much of mitigation factor summer is. Definitely not 100% (see Brazil...) so I'd wait a bit before considering it's gone for good... and remain somewhat paranoid in the meantime. Washing you hands often and keep some social distancing won't cost you or the economy too much.

#13658 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

There is no "media Narrative" There are so many media sources available that the only "narrative" is the one you decide to identify and follow(or not) with your personal bias'.

So you're saying there is NO media bias?

#13659 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

You can't force people to go out and endanger their lives and the lives of their loved ones. We are not "shut down." We can come and go as we please. We can do what we want. Most states are already relaxing this fake "lockdown" we've been in. But it's not going to magically fix anything.

Most people are ignoring the "government narrative" that everything is fine and dandy and let's get back to normal. They know we aren't ready. They see that people in White House are getting sick, even with the massive testing resources they have that your average American doesn't. They know they don't want their loved ones to get sick and die.

So they aren't going back to Appelbee's. You can't force them to. There's no miracle cure for the virus, and there's no miracle cure for the economy, and way too many people still haven't accepted that.

It's not the media's fault. It's the virus' fault. This isn't a PR issue. We can't tweet or bully or beg or borrow our way out of this.

#13661 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

It’s almost as if some of you don’t want things to improve “too soon” for reasons that are not allowed to be discussed.

I think it's ridiculous to suggest that anyone in this thread actually wants the pandemic to get worse. I would love nothing more than for this horrible virus to disappear from the face of the Earth tomorrow. But I have to be realistic about the situation based on the numbers and the science. When I suggest that we use caution as we begin to re-open the country, it's not because I have some hidden political agenda. My agenda is plain and simple. I don't want a ton more people to die unnecessarily.

This is precisely why I find the people that refuse to wear masks so frustrating. If they are wrong and the situation is worse than they think, they are potentially killing thousands of people in the name of making a political statement. If it turns out that they were right and the media is indeed blowing this out of proportion, then the only sacrifice they made was wearing a mask. Big fucking deal!!! Is it really that big of a hardship to wear a mask while in public until we can get a better handle on this thing? It seems like anybody who truly cares about society as a whole would err on the side of caution and act as safely as possible, and yet we see people doing the exact opposite.

#13662 3 years ago

Just got done talking to our medical director. He donated a week of his time in a COVID clinic in NYC. He took over and followed 10 patients. 8 of them died. All different ages. Some with pre-existing conditions. Some young and healthy. I know everyone’s antsy to get back to normal, but we really need to make sure we do this methodically to keep exposure low.

#13664 3 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Just got done talking to our medical director. He donated a week of his time in a COVID clinic in NYC. He took over and followed 10 patients. 8 of them died. All different ages. Some with pre-existing conditions. Some young and healthy. I know everyone’s antsy to get back to normal, but we really need to make sure we do this methodically to keep exposure low.

I applaud his dedication.

#13665 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All of the “good news” that’s been posted here for 2 months - happy talk, Miracle cures, etc. - has all proven to be hot air.
Denial and happy talk isn’t going to fix this. Being realistic, accepting what we are facing, and dealing with it in a scientific - rather than emotional - way is the only way out.
That’s not doom and gloom. It’s reality.

Here's some good news which recently emerged in a sea of gloom.
https://theprint.in/best-of-theprint-icymi/israel-isolates-antibody-in-significant-breakthrough-for-possible-covid-19-treatment/417347/

#13666 3 years ago

This is the last time I will address this. This is taken directly from your post...

“Georgia confirmed that its covid-19 death toll increased by 1,400 within 24 hours.”

I did not misread or misinterpret anything. That statement is false, which is why I responded to it. There is no gray area as to its meaning. Continue to live in fear if you wish, I am getting on with my life.

#13667 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

So you're saying there is NO media bias?

You change the terms... Bias is there in all things written and reported by humans. All media has a risk of biasing towards the individual writing the story.
There are clearly political agendas with "certain" owners of "certain" media conglomerates.
How effective and autonomous the news arm is depends on the structure and ethics of that individual Corp.

But the narrative .....that is in your mind. Most people aren't even aware they are making a "narrative" There are so many places to get your news. You are building your own story based on what you find more believable or what "feels" right intuitively.

If you would like to continue this off topic conversation.
Well..... Let's not

#13669 3 years ago

Good news? Where? Would you hi light the words in this link that you consider good news, please? Cause I ain't seeing it.

#13670 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

100% correct as THERE IS NO GUARANTEE FOR A VACCINE! Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think there are any highly effective vaccines for any virus in the coronavirus family.

#13671 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Continue to live in fear if you wish, I am getting on with my life.

Pretty sure everybody here has been “getting on with our lives” since March. We are all doing our best.

I would rebut the suggestion that if I’m not sitting down for a shitty meal at Red Lobster Or going bowling with my friends and family, I’m somehow living in fear and still in some kind of hellish, non-living limbo.

#13672 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I applaud his dedication.

Don’t applaud. Take the advice from medical professionals seriously and push back on those that don’t. He’d appreciate that more.

#13673 3 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Don’t applaud. Take the advice from medical professionals seriously and push back on those that don’t. He’d appreciate that more.

Listen, I'm gonna keep banging my cowbell outside my window at 7pm whether he likes it or not!!!!

Honestly, I think it's more for us at this point than the health care workers. It's just fun to bang the shit out of something and make a bunch of noise once a day along with everybody else.

Today I might move the guitar amp out on to the fire escape and melt some faces.

You know, for appreciation and all.

#13674 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty sure everybody here has been “getting on with our lives” since March. We are all doing our best.
I would rebut the suggestion that if I’m not sitting down for a shitty meal at Red Lobster with my friends and family, I’m somehow living in fear and still in some kind of hellish, non-living limbo.

I like Red Lobster, especially those cheddar biscuits! Unfortunately, the seafood options here in Pittsburgh aren’t the greatest.

#13676 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

I like Red Lobster, especially those cheddar biscuits!

Those "Cheddar Bay Biscuits" are heavenly!

#13677 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Today I might move the guitar amp out on to the fire escape and melt some faces.

#13678 3 years ago

When the cheddar biscuits are the best thing on the menu, you know it ain’t a great seafood place!!

Full disclosure - I did attend the Times Square ReD Lobster grand opening with some friends like 15 years ago. The biscuits were cold!!!

Look I’m no snob, I’ll go to chain places, especially on the road. I’ve been known to drive 10 miles out of my way to find a Chili’s over an Applebee’s.

#13679 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When the cheddar biscuits are the best thing on the menu, you know it ain’t a great seafood place!!

The main problem I have with Red Lobster is that it's quite expensive considering how mediocre the food is. There are a bunch of seafood places around here with better food that cost less money. For example, these two places are both awesome and are only 10 minutes from my house ...

Boston Fish Market - http://www.bostonfishmkt.com/
Bob Chinn's Crab House - https://www.bobchinns.com/

#13680 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

100% correct as THERE IS NO GUARANTEE FOR A VACCINE! Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think there are any highly effective vaccines for any virus in the coronavirus family.

Most of the "corona family " means the common cold I think.
It would be fair to say that the Nyquil and cold remedy business probably has had a part in making sure that never happens.
With this "novel" corona virus, I would think, the economics skew the other way a bit...entire cultures hinge on putting all money towards vaccine research.
The plus side for us is it might just prove to help cut down sick days in general which are attributed to the "common cold".

( This has been an opinion piece and has no direct references or citations )
Feel free to dispute , add to or completely ignore.

#13681 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Good news? Where? Would you hi light the words in this link that you consider good news, please? Cause I ain't seeing it.

Sure. See attached. It's an early breakthrough, but a "breakthrough " nonetheless, as described in the article.

Screenshot_20200512-135613_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200512-135613_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200512-135629_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200512-135629_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200512-135651_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200512-135651_Chrome (resized).jpg
#13682 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Sure. See attached. It's an early breakthrough, but a "breakthrough " nonetheless, as described in the article.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 1.21.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-12 at 1.21.27 PM (resized).png

Sorry. I could not get passed this part.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 1.21.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-12 at 1.21.47 PM (resized).png

get back with me when the human trials get started.

#13683 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I agree with you completely. We cant shut down forever. Its destroying the economy. We need to have the ability to test everyone going back to work to see if they have the virus or have antibodies first. This is not happening. Starting back up with ZERO plan is only going to delay that curve. A good plan - which is what the CDC and virologist have been stating since the beginning would be to have extensive testing and tracking to know who is ill or have been in contact with. Without it its like having Stevie Wonder take a 747 out for a test ride.

#13684 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We've got one local plumbing service where his TV ad begins "The news just keeps getting better". What an idiot. The guy that says "Liberty biberty" makes more sense than that dude.

And the day after they reopen Disneyland in Shanghai, now there are new reported cases in Wuhan. This shit has legs and it aint going away soon.

But nobody can fault the president for saying it will go away on it's own without a vaccine, when no successful vaccine has ever been made for any coronavirus.

And no more Sausage McMuffins for a while as the sign said "we are out of sausage product". We're getting by though.

Also, two months worth of beer bottles and cans can really pile up, so I went to my favorite covid recycling center this morning and the place was packed. Got almost $20.

(stock photo)

348s (resized).jpg348s (resized).jpg

#13686 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Okay. . .can't put the proverbial cart before the horse. This monoclonal antibody breakthrough is antecedent to human testing.

It's easy to retreat into cynicism. Global suffering and death has fueled that sentiment, against the backdrop of few meaningful treatment options, the absence of a vaccine and political discord attendant to the economic impact.

In the end, we all appear to agree that science is the springboard to defeating the virus. For my own sanity, I have endeavored to focus upon the incremental scientific advancements by USA researchers and those of America's allies. From that perspective, the antibody research is a "significant breakthrough" and it is welcomed news.

#13687 3 years ago

Antibody treatment derived from recovered cases was one of the only successful things used in the 1918-20 pandemic.

Otherwise there might have been more than the 50 to 100 million that did die.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/03/17/1918-flu-treatment-coronavirus

A lot can be leaned from history if people are willing.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-05-12/what-the-1918-flu-pandemic-can-teach-us

#13688 3 years ago

Just smoked a fat one and listened to your Beatles clip. Thanks !

#13689 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Okay. . .can't put the proverbial cart before the horse. This monoclonal antibody breakthrough is antecedent to human testing.
It's easy to retreat into cynicism. Global suffering and death has fueled that sentiment, against the backdrop of few meaningful treatment options, the absence of a vaccine and political discord attendant to the economic impact.
In the end, we all appear to agree that science is the springboard to defeating the virus. For my own sanity, I have endeavored to focus upon the incremental scientific advancements by USA researchers and those of America's allies. From that perspective, the antibody research is a "significant breakthrough" and it is welcomed news.

This is good news, but it's early to call it a significant breakthrough. Only in vitro (outside the body) studies with it so far as far as I can tell. Hydroxychloroquine was shown to kick corona ass in a test tube, but not so much in real life so far.

The Remdesivir news is good news. Various vaccines going into phase 2 is very good news.

This 3 drug cocktail study involving interferon looks like good news. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/covid-19-3-drug-combo-treatment-may-be-successful#Trial-strengths-and-limitations

Another interferon based treatment study - more potential good news - kind of a Tamiflu approach in terms of timing/early intervention. https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/10/coronavirus-treatment-hit-hard-and-early/

The best news is that we have the smartest people all over the world working on it. Some mention that we have never made a successful vaccine or curative treatment for Cornoviruses, but in our defense -we've never had a coronavirus piss us off this bad either.

#13690 3 years ago

Is that Yoko leaning against the wall and only noticed one guy rocking out.that happens to be black.

#13692 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Come on man. You're posting death charts every other day and often focused on the negative blame game. He posts something promising and you jump his shit? Lets play nice here.

#13693 3 years ago

Thanks very much for the quick fix!!

#13694 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Is that Yoko leaning against the wall and only noticed one guy rocking out.that happens to be black.

Are you referring to the guy playing the keyboard? That's Billy Preston.

#13695 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Are you referring to the guy playing the keyboard? That's Billy Preston.

World class musician and world class pervert, billy Preston!

#13696 3 years ago

First article I have read about people's pets. There are a lot of orphaned dogs and cats out there.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/us/pets-of-coronavirus/index.html

#13697 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

In the end, we all appear to agree that science is the springboard to defeating the virus.

Except the fact that all people don't. Some people think they can defeat this virus by going out and eating breakfast. Some think that by carrying a big gun it will help defeat it.
I can almost hear Winston Churchill say something like-Never, in the history of mankind, have so few idiots caused so many others to suffer. Until I become an epidemiologist, I'm going to listen to Dr. Fauci.

#13698 3 years ago

Yes I am...really,,have to look him up. Great video

#13699 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Come on man. You're posting death charts every other day and often focused on the negative blame game. He post something promising and you jump his shit? Lets play nice here.

Here is a positive one. Llamas.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/05/12/belgium-ghent-llama-antibody-coronavirus-robertson-pkg-intl-hnk-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus-intl/

They are about ready to test it on mice and hamsters.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 274 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/274?hl=beergut666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.