272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 266 of 576.
#13251 3 years ago

Funny, here the mask situation has temporarily improved, but extremely low on gowns.

#13252 3 years ago

then I read

The coronavirus has mutated and appears to be more contagious now, new study finds
Published Tue, May 5 20201:16 PM EDTUpdated Wed, May 6 202012:37 PM EDT

Suppose there is some truth in both.

#13253 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I’ve read this entire thread. Literally not one post has suggested lockdown for an unlimited time. Not one. It’s odd you would say that and act like you had seen posts that suggest we should be in lockdown forever when they don’t exist. It’s not an issue of your comment not being directed at a specific poster, it’s an issue of your comment being outlandish and not based in reality.

I think it comes down to the fact that a lot of people are afraid that many of us are going to continue to shut ourselves in to be safe and there is nothing they can do about it. You can't force people to put themselves in harms way and go back to life as "normal". It is a personal choice.

#13254 3 years ago

I’ve read this entire thread. Literally not one post has suggested lockdown for an unlimited time. Not one. It’s odd you would say that and act like you had seen posts that suggest we should be in lockdown forever when they don’t exist. It’s not an issue of your comment not being directed at a specific poster, it’s an issue of your comment being outlandish and not based in reality.

Someone once said to me: Dont teach if you are not paid to teach. Sadly, this is is true for this thread.

#13255 3 years ago
zdcnpl37u6x41 (resized).jpgzdcnpl37u6x41 (resized).jpg
#13257 3 years ago

77 cell phone towers in the UK have been set on fire so far, 40 incidents of verbal/physical attacks against telcom staff, and one engineer was stabbed, as the result of some people believing the completely outlandish and baseless conspiracy theory about 5G being the cause of coronavirus.

https://www.businessinsider.com/77-phone-masts-fire-coronavirus-5g-conspiracy-theory-2020-5

4 cell tower fires in Quebec:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6905672/quebec-cellphone-tower-fires-conspiracy-theory/
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/05/06/trudeau-warns-of-severe-penalties-after-fourth-cellphone-tower-torched-in-quebec.html

#13258 3 years ago

I have to say. GO COSTCO. Love that response, made a confident customer out of me.
Its a bussiness choice to require facemask based on state guidelines.
I know where Ive been the last 60 days, i dont know where everyone else has been.
I hope costco keeps the masks for at least a year.

#13259 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

77 cell phone towers in the UK have been set on fire so far, 40 incidents of verbal/physical attacks against telcom staff, and one engineer was stabbed, as the result of some people believing the completely outlandish and baseless conspiracy theory about 5G being the cause of coronavirus.

The 5G theories drive me absolutely insane.

#13260 3 years ago

Smart businesses will mandate PPE and social distancing even after the government guidelines relax to protect themselves from liability.

#13261 3 years ago

Just saw this cartoon....

20200507_113333 (resized).png20200507_113333 (resized).png
#13262 3 years ago

Smart businesses will mandate PPE and social distancing even after the government guidelines relax to protect themselves from liability.

Seems like there will be no government guidelines.

It’s every man woman and child
For themself!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/05/07/report-trump-administration-rejected-cdc-guide-for-reopening-restaurants-public-places/

#13263 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

https://www.businessinsider.com/77-phone-masts-fire-coronavirus-5g-conspiracy-theory-2020-5
https://globalnews.ca/news/6905672/quebec-cellphone-tower-fires-conspiracy-theory/
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/05/06/trudeau-warns-of-severe-penalties-after-fourth-cellphone-tower-torched-in-quebec.html

This might have something to do with the inquiry Senator Blumenthal was asking about any health impact studies being done. The FDC and FDA have deferred to the industry for these studies. There should be at least some research into effects of this technology, it would calm peoples fears if there was some data to go by.

#13264 3 years ago

On another note, I believe the virus stress has finally got to our police force here. They physically arrested a teenage female for dressing in a storm troopers costume on May the 4th. 2 idiots called in a gun complaint to 911. The girl was thrown to the ground, bloodying her nose during the arrest, cuffed and put into a police truck. All while her father watched and yelled at the officers it was a gimmick for his galactic cafe. Last year a officer attempted to euthanize a injured deer by running it over with his cruiser. He missed 3 times while the animal was screaming in agony while onlookers videoed the incident. Real champs here.

#13265 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

More than a two hour moderator delay and counting. I'm enjoying the kinder/gentler feel to this thread but wondering if there might be a different way. Not criticizing and I sympathize with the moderators burden. Just wondering.

I would love to see the censored posts that did not make it through.

#13266 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I have to say. GO COSTCO. Love that response, made a confident customer out of me.
Its a bussiness choice to require facemask based on state guidelines.
I know where Ive been the last 60 days, i dont know where everyone else has been.
I hope costco keeps the masks for at least a year.

Oh be really skeptical there. Every time I see something like that I give it the old 50/50 treatment. Could be true, could be fake. I try to act like both are true. I'm not saying Costco didn't say that, but I would have to see the feed and verified users before swallowing it wholesale.

#13267 3 years ago

Just got back from the Walmart, had no choice as we were out of all paper products and needed some juice, milk and so on. Strapped on a mask and headed inside.
So, they had one way aisles with arrows...seemed like almost no one was paying any attention to them. Maybe 30% of the shoppers were wearing masks, most of them elderly. I passed a group of teenagers who were not wearing masks and all of them were also barefoot. Saw two EMT’s shopping together, no masks.
On the way out I witnessed a confrontation between two shoppers and an employee over the one-way aisles. They were cussing the poor kid up and down when he tried to get them to obey the rules. In short, going to Walmart absolutely sucks even more than before Covid-19 and is really starting to make me hate people.
Makes me wish we had a Costco here!

#13268 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Remember the Salem witch hunts.

Some times I think if Orson Wells "War of the Worlds" were put out on radio today it would still cause the havoc it caused in 1938.

#13269 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Some times I think if Orson Wells "War of the Worlds" were put out on radio today it would still cause the havoc it caused in 1938.

Actually, that's just a legend. Just sensationalized reporting that was repeated over the decades.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/10/30/241797346/75-years-ago-war-of-the-worlds-started-a-panic-or-did-it

#13270 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Seems like there will be no government guidelines.

They would be useless. State and counties have already decided how they are going to open and have already made their own guidelines awhile ago.

#13271 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

On another note, I believe the virus stress has finally got to our police force here. They physically arrested a teenage female for dressing in a storm troopers costume on May the 4th. 2 idiots called in a gun complaint to 911. The girl was thrown to the ground, bloodying her nose during the arrest, cuffed and put into a police truck. All while her father watched and yelled at the officers it was a gimmick for his galactic cafe. Last year a officer attempted to euthanize a injured deer by running it over with his cruiser. He missed 3 times while the animal was screaming in agony while onlookers videoed the incident. Real champs here.

Both stories were all over reddit yesterday. I'd say the stormtrooper incident was just the particular officers flexing and abusing their power, rather than something related to coronavirus. Stories like that crop up all the time, unfortunately.

#13272 3 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

On the way out I witnessed a confrontation between two shoppers and an employee over the one-way aisles. They were cussing the poor kid up and down when he tried to get them to obey the rules. In short, going to Walmart absolutely sucks even more than before Covid-19 and is really starting to make me hate people.

meanwhile at our walmart tuesday... I'd say 95% of people were wearing masks. People just did their business and shopped. Must be 'florida man' syndrome

#13273 3 years ago

Just got back from the Walmart, had no choice as we were out of all paper products and needed some juice, milk and so on. Strapped on a mask and headed inside.
So, they had one way aisles with arrows...seemed like almost no one was paying any attention to them. Maybe 30% of the shoppers were wearing masks, most of them elderly. I passed a group of teenagers who were not wearing masks and all of them were also barefoot. Saw two EMT’s shopping together, no masks.

That's exactly why I avoided going to walmart for so long--a larger percentage of shoppers at walmart compared to other stores just don't seem to follow social norms.

Hopefully I won't need to go back anytime soon. I can get most of my essentials from other stores.

#13274 3 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

They would be useless. State and counties have already decided how they are going to open and have already made their own guidelines awhile ago.

Then why did they commission them in the first place?

Seems like they just didn’t like the guidelines so they buried them. Maybe we should just get rid of the CDC at this point like we got rid of the pandemic response team a couple years ago, since we Apparently have no interest allowing science to influence policy.

#13275 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

This might have something to do with the inquiry Senator Blumenthal was asking about any health impact studies being done. The FDC and FDA have deferred to the industry for these studies. There should be at least some research into effects of this technology, it would calm peoples fears if there was some data to go by.

Fear of EMF isn't really new, and there's only been very weak correlation between EMF and health issues.

There's not much that can be said about 5G that hasn't already been said through decades of EMF studies.

#13276 3 years ago

In short, going to Walmart absolutely sucks even more than before Covid-19 and is really starting to make me hate people.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's exactly why I avoided going to walmart for so long--a larger percentage of shoppers at walmart compared to other stores just don't seem to follow social norms.

Walmart has been attracting low-quality people for years, it is just depressing to go there unless you're in the mood for a sideshow. Thank goodness we have Meijer around here for an alternative.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

#13277 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The 5G theories drive me absolutely insane.

I live in an area with older folk, so when AT&T tried to install a 5G tower near us many of them got together, sent out letters to the community and ultimately got it shut down. I thought of sending them this pic, but they would probably believe it.

co8WYE7 (resized).jpgco8WYE7 (resized).jpg
#13278 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Actually, that's just a legend. Just sensationalized reporting that was repeated over the decades.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/10/30/241797346/75-years-ago-war-of-the-worlds-started-a-panic-or-did-it

I have never heard that before. Interesting. Considering newspapers and radios sometimes shoot before they draw, very believable.

#13279 3 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I live in an area with older folk, so when AT&T tried to install a 5G tower near us many of them got together, sent out letters to the community and ultimately got it shut down. I thought of sending them this pic, but they would probably believe it.
[quoted image]

We had a situation around here last year with some new towers being built. The company placing the towers was blasting through a neighborhood of mostly rentals. It was not about what the towers were going to be used for. It was about people stepping out their front door only to see the base of a large tower being planted in their front yard.

#13280 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Must be 'florida man' syndrome

I used to get offended at all the “Florida Man” talk but yeah, some of my fellow Floridians seem to have some real issues. Im trying to be a more evolved version of Florida Man, a “Flomo Sapien” toiling amongst a bunch of Flomo Neanderthalensis.

#13281 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Oh be really skeptical there. Every time I see something like that I give it the old 50/50 treatment. Could be true, could be fake. I try to act like both are true. I'm not saying Costco didn't say that, but I would have to see the feed and verified users before swallowing it wholesale.

I saw that Costco post on Reddit and in the comments literally everyone was saying that was posted by an account that isn't Costco. Apparently "Costco" and "Costco Wholesale" are different accounts and that was something that was overlooked. Frankly I don't care enough either way. Have to choose your battles and people commenting on Reddit or Twitter is extremely low on my list.

#13282 3 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Breakfast sales are on the decline because of covid-19 at fast food restaurants according to a new article I read this morning.
Certain contributors to this website are leading the charge to reverse this trend.
Keep up the good work.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/business/breakfast-fast-food-decline-coronavirus/index.html

We Door Dash a lot, and the one category of food we find just doesn't travel well is breakfast. So not surprising they are hurting in this time of only food delivery.

Quoted from cottonm4:

We had a situation around here last year with some new towers being built. The company placing the towers was blasting through a neighborhood of mostly rentals. It was not about what the towers were going to be used for. It was about people stepping out their front door only to see the base of a large tower being planted in their front yard.

In our case it was specifically health concerns, it read like an anti vax letter. I wish I had kept the letter in retrospect because it was a bizarre read, I thought it was a joke at first! Ultimately I view it as a money making potential long term since I plan to invest in Starlink, so such things often work out for the better in the end

#13283 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Funny, here the mask situation has temporarily improved, but extremely low on gowns.

I just got 10 pair of coveralls from my employer in the mail. I didn't ask for them; they were automatically sent to me.

I've seen videos online of nurses trying to put them on and they tear in half at the legs because they seem to have the strength of gift wrap tissue. I was going to try one out to test the quality but can't really afford to waste any at this moment.

#13284 3 years ago

Our government has no balls.

I feel sorry for bus drivers.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/economy/transit-bus-driver-safety/index.html

"Miami-Dade County bus driver Miakeya Rolle says she hasn't had a good night's rest since a passenger intentionally spit on her."

"On the afternoon of April 19, a homeless woman boarded Rolle's bus and began coughing on passengers, according to a police report. Rolle told her she needed to wear a mask. The woman spat on Rolle and fled the bus."

" The administration has recommended transit agencies make policies regarding facial coverings to reduce the risk of Covid-19, but stopped short of a mandate. Federal law says that the secretary of the Department of Transportation may "issue directives with respect to the safety of the public transportation system."

#13285 3 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

We Door Dash a lot

PSA: If possible try to order direct from the restaurant.

There have been pics of the bills from those types of services posted online recently and it ain't pretty for the restaurants.

#13286 3 years ago

CDC guidance says that someone exposed to a person that has COVID symptoms should be quarantine for 14 days. I wonder what the Pres is going to do now that his personal valet tested positive?

#13287 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Then why did they commission them in the first place?

At the time it was thought the federal government was going to be in charge of the shutdown. Remember all the headlines of people complaining that the president did not have the power to tell states when and how to open? So he rightfully gave the states the sovereignty to determine how and when they were going to open. My state has had guidelines in place for awhile.

#13288 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Our government has no balls.
I feel sorry for bus drivers.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/economy/transit-bus-driver-safety/index.html
"Miami-Dade County bus driver Miakeya Rolle says she hasn't had a good night's rest since a passenger intentionally spit on her."
"On the afternoon of April 19, a homeless woman boarded Rolle's bus and began coughing on passengers, according to a police report. Rolle told her she needed to wear a mask. The woman spat on Rolle and fled the bus."
" The administration has recommended transit agencies make policies regarding facial coverings to reduce the risk of Covid-19, but stopped short of a mandate. Federal law says that the secretary of the Department of Transportation may "issue directives with respect to the safety of the public transportation system."

America 2020:

D7C63295-4C04-47BF-B0A0-074B37606A0D.gifD7C63295-4C04-47BF-B0A0-074B37606A0D.gif
#13289 3 years ago

Considering states were supposed to show 14 days of statistically significant declining cases before opening... i'll guess, go to the salon?

#13291 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

In other news. Some say Fox News Is nothing more then political opinion.

I always thought of Fox news like their football coverage- a hyped up version of itself. And something that is very annoying to watch or even listen to.

Can we get Troy Aikman and Joe Buck to comment on this virus?

packers-defense-of-joe-buck-troy-aikman_fullsize_story1 (resized).jpgpackers-defense-of-joe-buck-troy-aikman_fullsize_story1 (resized).jpg
#13292 3 years ago

The washington post piece you posted is an opinion piece by someone who worked for the current administration. You can guess at his motives. It's not an actual factual, researched piece of journalism, it's an opinion piece and not a very convincing one at that. Surprised you'd post that as evidence that something is "not factual," as it's a subjective opinion piece, not an objective "news" story.

The second link you posted - which is an actual objective piece of journalism, and in fact, addresses and quotes many of the points explored by the former Administration official's opinion piece - concludes this:

CONCLUSIONS

There is disagreement over how to describe the changes at the NSC’s Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense in 2018. The departure of some members due to “streamlining” efforts under John Bolton is documented. The “pandemic response team” as a unit was largely disbanded.

---

So it's largely semantics. My personal opinion - one shared by overwhelmingly respected scientific voices like Dr. Fauci - is that we would have been in far better position to deal with COVID-19 if the "whatever you want to call it" hadn't been "eliminated/streamlined."

In general it's best to read links before you post them to see if they actually support your thesis. I have nothing against opinion pieces but they shouldn't be presented here as "factual" if you are using them to support an argument.

#13294 3 years ago

Looks like we will be watched even more closely upon returning to work...

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus-2020-05-05/card/fhwLfb0UYXbqhRm9cYNX

#13295 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The washington post piece you posted is an opinion piece by someone who worked for the current administration. You can guess at his motives. It's not an actual factual, researched piece of journalism, it's an opinion piece not a very convincing one at that. Surprised you'd post that as evidence that something is "factually untrue," as it's a subjective opinion piece, not an objective "news" story.

The second link you posted - which is an actual objective piece of journalism - concludes this:

CONCLUSIONS

There is disagreement over how to describe the changes at the NSC’s Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense in 2018. The departure of some members due to “streamlining” efforts under John Bolton is documented. The “pandemic response team” as a unit was largely disbanded.

---

So it's largely semantics. The actual fact - and opinion of overwhelmingly respected scientific voices like Dr. Fauci - is that we would have been in far better position to deal with COVID-19 if the "whatever you want to call it" hadn't been "eliminated/streamlined."

In general it's best to read links before you post them to see if they actually support your thesis.

It is the opinion of the person who was in charge of it. So, yes, you are right, it was an opinion, but the opinion came from the person in charge of doing it. It is from a primary source. The piece has information on who it is that wrote it, and what qualifies him to write it, and actual hyperlinks to articles he references to come to his conclusion. That is why I included it.

#13297 3 years ago

Harvard expert weighs in on safe reopening options
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05/how-can-america-reopen-safely-come-ask-an-expert-in-ars-thursday-live-chat/?comments=1

Direct link to the half hour video interview: https://www.pscp.tv/w/1gqxvEarPnpJB

The article pic from Aurich is always fun.

#13298 3 years ago

We are seeing something similar here. Shoppers at Target and Kroger scoff at you and make comments when you wear a mask. They see it as a political statement. We went to Costco this morning in a nearby town. 100% of the shoppers were wearing masks and very respectful. The whole situation was run with confidence and precision. We absolutely love Costco and wish a few more stores would learn from them on how to operate in this situation.

Meanwhile there are a lot of fools that think masks are for idiots. I have a feeling that Darwin awards will be coming for some of them.

#13299 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If people only had the potential to hurt themselves, then I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, when people run around without masks or fail to maintain proper physical distances from others, it has the potential to kill me or someone in my family.

So besides wearing masks I guess you are also an advocate of all bars and restaurants that serve alcohol taking everyone’s car keys upon entry and only being able to get them back after passing a breathalyzer so that some drunk ass while on his way home doesn’t kill an entire innocent family in a minivan on their way home from seeing Toy Story 8??? Besides not wearing masks, there are many ways that people put others at risk each and every day, but the solutions are not considered practical as they infringe upon our freedoms. This is why personal risk assessment and accountability will always be the answer in our country and why it will be the answer in regards to this virus as we move forward. I could offer other examples, but they are definitely political and not allowed.

This post is NOT meant to be inflammatory nor am I actually challenging or asking the mod to answer my question, I am just making a point. And yes, I wear my mask everywhere that I am supposed to. And I also know that masks are most effective in preventing transmission. Long term, it’s going to come down to people that are concerned or at high risk protecting themselves the best they can and not relying on others to do it for them. Just something for everyone to think about...that is all.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 266 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/266?hl=fymf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.