272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 265 of 576.
#13200 3 years ago

Here you go in regards to the deceased getting checks:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/politics/irs-stimulus-checks-dead-people/index.html

I mean was there really any doubt? RHETORICAL question.

#13201 3 years ago

Heard an interesting take today, all the people working from home making their normal earnings , telling the others who need to get back to work or lose everything should try living on the government subsidy for a couple months. Might gain some insight as to why these protests are happening. If the choice was my family starving or me wearing proper PPE and getting to work I'm going. Seems like a lot of the elites are breaking the lockdown rules. Chris Cuomo, the mayor of Chicago, our genius Prime Minister etc,etc. Lead by example.

#13202 3 years ago

The one that is crazy is they are going to reopen florists this weekend in time for Mother's Day.

What could go wrong? Like nobody likes to stick their nose into a bouquet of flowers and give it a good sniff.

Sneeze on a flower, give it to mom or grandma on Sunday. Glad to know we have our priorities in order.

#13205 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I was just out walking around the neighborhood with my wife and I was shocked to see two moms that I know walking together side by side with no masks. I honestly don't get it.

From the beginning, nearly everyone (including the doctor played by Brad Pitt) was saying that masks weren't necessary. Now, I understand that there was a real effort to preserve and prioritize Personal Protective Equipment for doctors/nurses/EMT/police/first-responders, but I think the early messages of "just wash your hands and you're going to be OK" didn't help us.

There's still no real unified message on wearing masks. The supposedly two most powerful people in the country refuse to, even in a hospital setting or when touring a mask making facility. What message does that send to the public?

Why not hire the Mythbusters to conduct a bunch of televised experiments to show what benefits (if any) wearing various types of masks have for both the wearer and the people who they share an enclosed space with?

How are people supposed to go back to eating at restaurants and drinking at bars wearing masks?

I'm seeing more and more masks every day, but it's around 5% of the people I see, and the vast majority in "essential" stores, are not wearing them.

We carry around powerful computers in our pockets and think nothing of it. Why can't we design and manufacture a piece of re-usable, daily-wear headgear that protects us when we're out in public around other people? You could throw in a speaker/voice-changer, an air-filtration system, headlamp, VR/AR display, etc. Maybe even a tube for drinking liquids?

https___cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_200330113214-02-coronavirus-helmet (resized).jpeghttps___cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_200330113214-02-coronavirus-helmet (resized).jpeg

#13206 3 years ago

Note to self :

The preppers of this world were right all along. They don’t deserve anyone’s ridicule.

Move away from the northeast blue states. It’s unhealthy.

Buy a giant freezer or two.

The government is not here to protect me.

You can never have too much toilet paper.

Never visit NYC again.

When this is over, buy a pant-load of masks, hand sanitizer & project pins.

Get my wife to retire from nursing.

“Handles” of any booze are always welcome in storage.

Keep enough cash on hand for all of the above.

#13207 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I was at walmart yesterday for the first time in 2 months. I've been avoiding it specifically because I knew there would be people there who would simply ignore the rules. And as it turned out, there were a handful of people roaming around without masks on, going the wrong way down aisles, and not following distancing rules. Although, to be fair, they were more or less following the 6ft rule front and back...just not on their sides...

I was halfway through my weekly Saturday Walmart run last weekend before I even noticed the signs on the floor saying the aisles were one way. They were not obvious at all. Nobody was following them, even the grocery pickup workers gathering items. Mask usage here is down to around 25% of customers from what I've seen.

#13208 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

It's worse than just people not wearing masks. Yesterday on a quick outing, I saw three people with their masks riding under their noses similar to the picture. One of them was a busy body breaking out of the waiting line twice and invading other people's space. He was completely oblivious on both accounts.
Another person's white mask was filthy and tattered, obviously reused multiple times.
At another store I saw two people, both with properly fitted masks, chatting about a foot apart and touching one another with friendly gestures. From the conversation I could tell they were not a couple.
My point is that well intended people are nearly just as bad as the non-wearing masks people. - I'm discouraged. [quoted image]

More than a two hour moderator delay and counting. I'm enjoying the kinder/gentler feel to this thread but wondering if there might be a different way. Not criticizing and I sympathize with the moderators burden. Just wondering.

#13209 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

More than a two hour moderator delay and counting. I'm enjoying the kinder/gentler feel to this thread but wondering if there might be a different way. Not criticizing and I sympathize with the moderators burden. Just wondering.

You're on double-secret probation. Nothing passes unless inspected by full committee

#13211 3 years ago
Quoted from BOHICA:

For those telling others they should be locked up indefinitely

Downvoted as soon as I read this, it’s a hysterical strawman argument. Literally nobody here has said this.

#13212 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm surprised that I still only know 1 person that got this. She was in her 20s and she recovered pretty well. It would almost be easier (?) to live in a hot spot where everyone knows someone who died from COVID-19, so everyone's being careful.

I feel the same way. My county has 439 cases and 15 deaths. 15 deaths is 2 or 3 car wreck fatalities to people around here.

Another trip to Walmart. The state is starting to get ready to open up. The sun is shining. Very few seem to have a care in the world. We need for some peoples neighbors to start dying off for awake up call.

I have not yet taken advantage of the seniors morning shopping times. I think I will start taking advantage of the mornings.

#13213 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Agreed. I went from spending all day on pinside reading the various Coronavirus threads to giving this thread a casual scan a couple times a day. All the entertainment value is gone now.

#13214 3 years ago

Lester Holt is my go-to guy for nightly news and I wanted to share these 2 positive stories from tonight's broadcast:

Researchers at a secure Homeland Security lab now have one priority: to understand how the coronavirus spreads and infects so easily. They’re working to answer questions about how long the virus remains in the air and the impact of sunlight.

Clorox CEO Benno Dorer says the company is in “catch-up mode” after seeing a 500 percent spike in demand because of the coronavirus pandemic, but that they expect to be in better shape by the summer.

Also today is National Nurses Day!

Thanks to all you nurses and murses out there!

#13217 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You're on double-secret probation. Nothing passes unless inspected by full committee

Its like a blooper delay and they think I'm a potential wardrobe malfunction.

#13218 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If people only had the potential to hurt themselves, then I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, when people run around without masks or fail to maintain proper physical distances from others, it has the potential to kill me or someone in my family.

Like the exhaust from your car has the potential to kill someone. Or even the car. You should stay indoors forever with that attitude.

#13219 3 years ago

You people are now making a new law for the government to tax us on or fine us. Hey your not wearing a mask cha ching.

#13220 3 years ago

I doubt those people listed in the "staying at come" category have *never* left their homes.

Grocery stores, post offices, picking up food take-out, delivery services, gas stations, outings to parks or trails (potentially touching handrails)...there are a still a lot of potential exposure vectors during limited outings or interactions with delivery people/items even if you're staying home 90% of the time.

#13221 3 years ago

I could believe it in New York. A lot of apartment buildings might have a central cooling system or fan system where all the air is pulled from all rooms and then pushed back. I think this was an issue in Hong Kong or something too. I wouldn't think it would be that likely but possible.

EDIT: I think this was also part of the cruise ship issue, but I could be wrong.

#13222 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Downvoted as soon as I read this, it’s a hysterical strawman argument. Literally nobody here has said this.

Yeah, it never ends.

“The media has convinced the sheep it’s the end of the world!!”

Nobody is saying it’s the end of the world.

“We can’t just shut down the country for five years!”

Nobody is saying we need to shut down the country for five years.

“The media is hysterical, saying it’s the end of the world and we need to destroy the economy to save a few lives!”

Ya da ya da ya da.

Yes, there are some hysterical drama queens when it comes to Covid. I’ll let you figure out who they are.

#13223 3 years ago

I wonder about the spread through things like elevators or hallways from apartment complexes that make up most of that area.

I dont know anything about ventilation in apartments. Is there a chance of contamination through hvac?

#13224 3 years ago

They just said today the USA had it's second highest day of new infections yet, and certain experts are saying we have only experienced the beginning of this pandemic.

Just in time.
GrandReopenning-v2 (resized).jpgGrandReopenning-v2 (resized).jpg

#13225 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I wonder about the spread through things like elevators or hallways from apartment complexes that make up most of that area.
I dont know anything about ventilation in apartments. Is there a chance of contamination through hvac?

I don't think in a normal or modern apartment complex there would be. It would have to be some sort of situation where there's a lot of recycled air in the building. Pretty unlikely.

#13226 3 years ago

As someone who travels almost every week, i am very skeptical that mask will be used properly in the airport or on the planes. I am guessing the restaurants and shops will be selling food and drinks. The mask will come off to consume these products. if they are asymptotic their hands have been close to their mouth and anything that is touched is now contaminated.

Also, in my 20 years of flying the plane is nothing but a pressurized tube full of humans who eat and drink nonstop between destinations. I don’t see anyway to stop people from removing their masks and chowing down on whatever they made at home or bought at the airport. Honestly airplanes really disgust me and that was before this.

I have talked to my boss and told him until the mask restriction is lifted I was not going to be flying. My belief is that the only way the restriction will be lifted is that either a treatment or vaccine will be created.

Also for anyone who is thinking of flying and diligently following the mask rule, think of this. Probably the shortest amount of time wearing the mask will be 2 hours and up to 8+ hours, domestically, that is a long time for no water.

#13229 3 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

As someone who travels almost every week, i am very skeptical that mask will be used properly in the airport or on the planes. I am guessing the restaurants and shops will be selling food and drinks. The mask will come off to consume these products. if they are asymptotic their hands have been close to their mouth and anything that is touched is now contaminated.
Also, in my 20 years of flying the plane is nothing but a pressurized tube full of humans who eat and drink nonstop between destinations. I don’t see anyway to stop people from removing their masks and chowing down on whatever they made at home or bought at the airport. Honestly airplanes really disgust me and that was before this.
I have talked to my boss and told him until the mask restriction is lifted I was not going to be flying. My belief is that the only way the restriction will be lifted is that either a treatment or vaccine will be created.
Also for anyone who is thinking of flying and diligently following the mask rule, think of this. Probably the shortest amount of time wearing the mask will be 2 hours and up to 8+ hours, domestically, that is a long time for no water.

I cant stand that there's a snack and drinks on a 35m flight. Who needs this? Oh, apparently everyone around me. Adults are just giant toddlers, as it turns out.

#13230 3 years ago

I was reading about this a few months ago. I’m paraphrasing, but RNA is single-stranded so it can’t correct errors in its reproduction like DNA can. This causes defective copies. We just have to hope these weaker strains become dominant soon.

#13231 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I doubt those people listed in the "staying at come" category have *never* left their homes.
Grocery stores, post offices, picking up food take-out, delivery services, gas stations, outings to parks or trails (potentially touching handrails)...there are a still a lot of potential exposure vectors during limited outings or interactions with delivery people/items even if you're staying home 90% of the time.

Yeah, I interpreted it as "it only takes an exposure", not even an interaction.

#13232 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They just said today the USA had it's second highest day of new infections yet, and certain experts are saying we have only experienced the beginning of this pandemic.
Just in time.
[quoted image]

Mesa Golfland/Sunsplash just emailed to let me know they are currently open for minigolf, and the water park is opening on Monday.

#13233 3 years ago

Someone posted a meme today claiming that the economy was shut down "due to models that turned out to be wrong."

Well, here's a little background on the "models" being justified to reopen the country. Scary stuff.

https://slate.com/business/2020/05/trump-models-coronavirus-dumb.html

#13234 3 years ago

Take a break,

The shark is a Great White. Jaws is some millions years old monster.

b18acaf13d23aa09d314dc7c5ca67cd9 (resized).jpgb18acaf13d23aa09d314dc7c5ca67cd9 (resized).jpg

#13235 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Someone posted a meme today claiming that the economy was shut down "due to models that turned out to be wrong."
Well, here's a little background on the "models" being justified to reopen the country. Scary stuff.
https://slate.com/business/2020/05/trump-models-coronavirus-dumb.html

LOL.

In other top news:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/04/low-sex-drive-coronavirus-advice.html

#13236 3 years ago

They say the virus is mutating . If so , I wouldn't mind getting the Quiksilver mutation .

#13237 3 years ago

Breakfast sales are on the decline because of covid-19 at fast food restaurants according to a new article I read this morning.

Certain contributors to this website are leading the charge to reverse this trend.

Keep up the good work.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/business/breakfast-fast-food-decline-coronavirus/index.html

#13238 3 years ago

In other news. Some say Fox News Is nothing more then political opinion. Remember how Fox News reacted to the Ebola Outbreak under the previous administration a couple years ago? Remember how bad that was for the world?

#13239 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Heard an interesting take today, all the people working from home making their normal earnings , telling the others who need to get back to work or lose everything should try living on the government subsidy for a couple months. Might gain some insight as to why these protests are happening. If the choice was my family starving or me wearing proper PPE and getting to work I'm going. Seems like a lot of the elites are breaking the lockdown rules. Chris Cuomo, the mayor of Chicago, our genius Prime Minister etc,etc. Lead by example.

Remember Mr. LIghtfoot needs to get a haircut because of "tv appearances".
The government loves us . Do as I say not as I do is their law.

#13240 3 years ago

AP Exclusive: Admin shelves CDC guide to reopening country

“It was supposed to be published last Friday, but agency scientists were told the guidance “would never see the light of day,” according to a CDC official. The official was not authorized to talk to reporters and spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity.

The AP obtained a copy from a second federal official who was not authorized to release it. The guidance was described in AP stories last week, prior to the White House decision to shelve it.

The Trump administration has been closely controlling the release of guidance and information during the pandemic spurred by a new coronavirus that scientists are still trying to understand, with the president himself leading freewheeling daily briefings until last week.“

https://apnews.com/7a00d5fba3249e573d2ead4bd323a4d4

#13241 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Apologies for any offense if you previously posted a date, but please note if that's the case my comment was not directed at you but rather those who wanted lockdown with no end date specified. I did not catch a date on anyones continue lockdown demands/suggestions but admittedly I don't read every post and the condescension in many blurs the post - certainly not every one has been specific about a date so perhaps you are also in error in saying "literally no one"? If no dates are offered, that's the definition of "indefinite". I know - people have different definitions, some changing quickly - merely explaining where my old, outdated version came from so you can see it's my ignorance, not malice:

not definite; without fixed or specified limit; unlimited: an indefinite number.
not clearly defined or determined; not precise or exact: an indefinite boundary; an indefinite date in the future.

If you don't mind - what is your re-open date and the rationale that led you there? Nationwide or determined by state/county/city?

#13242 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

In other news. Some say Fox News Is nothing more then political opinion. Remember how Fox News reacted to the Ebola Outbreak under the previous administration a couple years ago? Remember how bad that was for the world?

Even Dr Fauci said that the caronavirus was nothing in the beginning. They were probably going off of what he said I would assume since they are not doctors themselves.

#13244 3 years ago
Quoted from BOHICA:

Apologies for any offense if you previously posted a date, but please note if that's the case my comment was not directed at you but rather those who wanted lockdown with no end date specified. I did not catch a date on anyones continue lockdown demands/suggestions but admittedly I don't read every post and the condescension in many blurs the post - certainly not every one has been specific about a date so perhaps you are also in error in saying "literally no one"? If no dates are offered, that's the definition of "indefinite". I know - people have different definitions, some changing quickly - merely explaining where my old, outdated version came from so you can see it's my ignorance, not malice:
not definite; without fixed or specified limit; unlimited: an indefinite number.
not clearly defined or determined; not precise or exact: an indefinite boundary; an indefinite date in the future.
If you don't mind - what is your re-open date and the rationale that led you there? Nationwide or determined by state/county/city?

I’ve read this entire thread. Literally not one post has suggested lockdown for an unlimited time. Not one. It’s odd you would say that and act like you had seen posts that suggest we should be in lockdown forever when they don’t exist. It’s not an issue of your comment not being directed at a specific poster, it’s an issue of your comment being outlandish and not based in reality.

#13245 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Even Dr Fauci said that the caronavirus was nothing in the beginning. They were probably going off of what he said I would assume since they are not doctors themselves.

His words were taken out of context then and now. He did not say it was nothing. He did say in the beginning that Americans did not need to change their behavior, yet. Everything he said at the time was couched in phrases like “subject to change” and “as of now”.

Given his experience, he should have known that people would not pick up on his careful parsing and probably should have phrased things differently. (Kind of reminds me of how fed chairmen have to be careful of exactly how they say something).

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fauci-nothing-to-worry-about/

Aaand I am back from self imposed exile. Happy May everyone!

#13246 3 years ago
Quoted from BOHICA:

I don’t need a long lecture on what “indefinite” means. My problem is with you saying that people are “locked up”, which is about is as ridiculous as people comparing this to slavery. But since you asked, I think cities should overrule states, states should overrule the feds, and the feds should stay out if this unless they have something more to contribute than “Liberate <state I need to win>!” tweets.

#13248 3 years ago

I love how the Fauci smearing pops up every two weeks like clockwork. Is it working? Last I checked he still has almost double the approval rating of other folks involved in the response.

Meanwhile we are now smearing nurses also. Apparently they are lying about problems getting PPE for some reason.

Nurses are fake news!!!

#13249 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love how the Fauci smearing pops up every two weeks like clockwork. Is it working? Last I checked he still has almost double the approval rating of other folks involved in the response.
Meanwhile we are now smearing nurses also. Apparently they are lying about problems getting PPE for some reason.
Nurses are fake news!!!

I saw that video and unfortunately it’s emblematic of the problem. I can tell you first hand that this nurse practitioner is right, PPE access is spotty. In my clinic we have surgical masks and gowns available but still don’t have enough N-95s.

The President is either not being informed of what is actually going on at the frontlines of this pandemic or is being disingenuous in front of the cameras.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 265 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/265?hl=rwmech5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.