272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 260 of 576.
#12950 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is Australia offering any kind of financial support for small businesses? The US has passed legislation but many small businesses have struggled to get accepted for the money and loans. Also, I doubt the money/loans is enough for most anyway.

Yes, although has taken time, seems to be working... commenting from personal experience as a business owner here in Australia (hospitality sector).

Affected businesses have access to jobkeeper for 6 months, the federal government reimburses monthly $1500 a fortnight per worker to keep them 'connected' to the business, but is difficult for many businesses to pay upfront, so a lot of industries haven't taken the government up on it (probably the ones that need it most sadly ... the highest takeup sector is whitecollar - accoutants, lawyers etc LOL?? .... hospitality/tourism sector is down about 5 or 6). Was not easy paying upfront initially, but seems to be working well now .... and is a huge relief for businesses and workers that can make use of it! Very impresses with this...

There is also a cashflow boost when doing quarterly/monthly activity statements (businesses need to collect GST tax here in OZ for the government). Minimum was 10K for first statement, with 2 more 5k minimums to come. Was credited instantly with any extra paid within a day or 2 .... so no complaints there

The state government announced a 10K grant for businesses that had to 'force close' too over a month ago ... still no sign of that money LOL ..... at least the federal money is flowing

Workers that have been affected can access some of their retirement (superannuation) early too (taxfree) ... 10K now and 10 in July .... again once passed by law (probably the main delay for most measures??) was paid into bank accounts within a few days in most cases (depending on the retirement fund I think .... 'for profit' funds tend to be quicker, 'industry' funds tend to be slower).

Having said that, even though our government here in Australia has tried to put a lot of emphasis on business, keeping workers connected with their employers, and the economy, there still are/will be many businesses that will be unable to survive this .... with a steep rise in unemployment to follow.

(this post is from a business stimulus perspective from here in Australia .... there are other things the Australian government is doing in regard to social security payments etc, and other areas, but haven't had personal experience with those)

#12951 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You seem to be thriving on this salt, eggs, cheese, and lard diet!
Show us the way!

I thin my blood with alcohol. And drink lots of water.

The real key is to never stop moving until your legs tell you to stop. I used to get a lot more rest in front of the computer at work between cars. But each car required a lot of movement from getting in and out of them several times and crouching over to inspect under the vehicle and checking and filling tires. Sometimes I do miss hammering on ball joints and shit like that.

We are fixing Bill's car again now. Least I can do. He is quite a bro.

#12952 3 years ago

How are people not leaving their houses for weeks or even months at a time? Are they just not eating fresh fruits and vegetables? I couldn’t do it.

#12953 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’ve been spending every waking moment doing outside projects, trying to finish everything before it gets too hot. I’m actually looking forward to spending some time indoors, working on pins. Staining the deck has been a huge project, and I’ll definitely hire someone next time. But I’m happy with how it’s looking.
[quoted image]

Doing the same thing on my days off. Need to get a couple stumps dug out before the heat bakes the ground solid. Dug two out last week and just got done with these two mammoth beasts. It was actually two separate trees with their own root systems. Just gotta say God bless my 2 ton chain hoist.
Note: They weren't social distancing but now they are.

94887559_3216794338351174_1516494184180088832_n (resized).jpg94887559_3216794338351174_1516494184180088832_n (resized).jpg95489439_3218969908133617_6075481306072875008_n (resized).jpg95489439_3218969908133617_6075481306072875008_n (resized).jpg95502044_3219132738117334_6691541399147380736_n (resized).jpg95502044_3219132738117334_6691541399147380736_n (resized).jpg

#12954 3 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

How are people not leaving their houses for weeks or even months at a time? Are they just not eating fresh fruits and vegetables?

I've got all kinds of fruit trees and they still sell fresh veggies right down the street. If I did Fantasy Burger everyday, my heart would probably vapor lock.

#12955 3 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

How are people not leaving their houses for weeks or even months at a time? Are they just not eating fresh fruits and vegetables? I couldn’t do it.

In our area, farmers are delivering boxes full of produce. We just got one delivered yesterday.

#12956 3 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

It’s a struggle buddy.

#12957 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

When I gave that pic a second look I saw.....a roll of electrical tape hanging from his vest. Why?

zzzzzPinkarticle-2168901-13ED95B1000005DC-181_634x480 (resized).jpgzzzzzPinkarticle-2168901-13ED95B1000005DC-181_634x480 (resized).jpg
#12959 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It’s time to read this excellent article again. We’re in the “dance” phase now, trying to keep R0 under 1. It’s all about the masks now, IMHO.
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

That's a fantastic article. It does give me some measure of comfort.

#12961 3 years ago

Ya know, I almost forgot how inspiring the holder (or ex-holder) of that office can be, during challenging times.

#12962 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

She was great in Rocky IV

#12963 3 years ago

China is playing “Monopoly” with world currencies. They are producing masks for fractions of pennies and selling them with huge markups. By taking these currencies off the market, they will drive up inflation in these countries. When the countries print more money to bail out their citizens, it’s just gonna devalue the currency even more. Then, they can buy all the business that are going under with said currencies they just collected.

Marvin Gardens, anyone?

#12964 3 years ago

We are never going to know the true scope of what is happening in China and Russia. China silenced doctors early on and now Russia appears to be offing a few in dramatic ways to intimidate those that would like to speak out. Heck, even Florida is not fully releasing death numbers.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11538409/third-russian-doctor-falls-window-coronavirus/

#12965 3 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:Ya know, I almost forgot how inspiring the holder (or ex-holder) of that office can be, during challenging times.

A great message.

I wonder what Honest Abe would say during these challenging times?

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
#12966 3 years ago

Putin used to head the KGB. Sounds plausible.

#12968 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

We are never going to know the true scope of what is happening in China and Russia. China silenced doctors early on and now Russia appears to be offing a few in dramatic ways to intimidate those that would like to speak out. Heck, even Florida is not fully releasing death numbers.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11538409/third-russian-doctor-falls-window-coronavirus/

Hell, some of the powers in my county are trying to do the coverup or hide and seek routine. Russia and China do not have a monopoly on lying politicians.

https://www.kansas.com/opinion/editorials/article242343011.html

" Officials repeatedly have cited privacy concerns as the reason for keeping details of clusters secret — including several church clusters at the center of a debate about restricting religious gatherings. They worry that disclosing cluster sites could make individuals more easily identifiable.

"They also say they don’t divulge details if they believe a cluster is contained and the general public is not at risk.

"That’s not good enough.

"The public must have accurate, complete information during a public health crisis, particularly when it comes to where and when residents may have been exposed to the virus.

"Kansas shouldn’t leave it up to counties — and certainly not to individual businesses, nursing homes, churches, or other facilities — to provide information.

"Many health experts note that it was the government’s suppression of information about the virus in China that allowed it to spread quickly before measures were taken to stem it.

#12969 3 years ago

The best study about the virus so far here in germany:
https://www.ukbonn.de/C12582D3002FD21D/vwLookupDownloads/Streeck_et_al_Infection_fatality_rate_of_SARS_CoV_2_infection2.pdf/%24FILE/Streeck_et_al_Infection_fatality_rate_of_SARS_CoV_2_infection2.pdf

Mortality Rate in case of infection= 0,37 %
Estimated number of infections for germany ten times more than official numbers.
20 % of infections are without symptoms of illness.
Age has no impact of infection rate.
Intensity of infection is higher for people that were participants of a superspreading event, the assumption is that contact with higher dosis of virus correlates with heavier sysptoms of the disease.

#12970 3 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

Ya know, I almost forgot how inspiring the holder (or ex-holder) of that office can be, during challenging times.

I was a member of a golf club in Irving TX where President Bush ran his Wounded Warrior tournament. My opinion of him personally changed when I saw how he treated these great heroes. I played golf with a few of them who were injured badly. They absolutely loved him. I was shocked at how humble he was, and all the things he did that they kept out of the press. And the golf corporation Club Corp of America. The corporation gave each participant a lifetime free membership at the club of their choice. This gesture from CCA changed these guys lives for the better for these courageous guys. I was also amazed at how good some of these guys are. I could beat pros in the pro shop most of my adult life and a couple of these guys could beat me straight up.

#12971 3 years ago
Quoted from srt-8:

Yes, although has taken time, seems to be working... commenting from personal experience as a business owner here in Australia (hospitality sector).
Affected businesses have access to jobkeeper for 6 months, the federal government reimburses monthly $1500 a fortnight per worker to keep them 'connected' to the business, but is difficult for many businesses to pay upfront, so a lot of industries haven't taken the government up on it (probably the ones that need it most sadly ... the highest takeup sector is whitecollar - accoutants, lawyers etc LOL?? .... hospitality/tourism sector is down about 5 or 6). Was not easy paying upfront initially, but seems to be working well now .... and is a huge relief for businesses and workers that can make use of it! Very impresses with this...
There is also a cashflow boost when doing quarterly/monthly activity statements (businesses need to collect GST tax here in OZ for the government). Minimum was 10K for first statement, with 2 more 5k minimums to come. Was credited instantly with any extra paid within a day or 2 .... so no complaints there
The state government announced a 10K grant for businesses that had to 'force close' too over a month ago ... still no sign of that money LOL ..... at least the federal money is flowing
Workers that have been affected can access some of their retirement (superannuation) early too (taxfree) ... 10K now and 10 in July .... again once passed by law (probably the main delay for most measures??) was paid into bank accounts within a few days in most cases (depending on the retirement fund I think .... 'for profit' funds tend to be quicker, 'industry' funds tend to be slower).
Having said that, even though our government here in Australia has tried to put a lot of emphasis on business, keeping workers connected with their employers, and the economy, there still are/will be many businesses that will be unable to survive this .... with a steep rise in unemployment to follow.
(this post is from a business stimulus perspective from here in Australia .... there are other things the Australian government is doing in regard to social security payments etc, and other areas, but haven't had personal experience with those)

The boss got us to fill out the job keeper forms today . We are currently not eligible as our business has not dropped by 30% . That is because we were already so quiet , if we drop 30% from an already low level I think we're screwed . At least I still have my job for the time being unlike so many others who don't .

Bill and Ted tonight , party on dudes .

IMG20200504195102 (resized).jpgIMG20200504195102 (resized).jpg
#12972 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

The boss got us to fill out the job keeper forms today . We are currently not eligible as our business has not dropped by 30% . That is because we were already so quiet , if we drop 30% from an already low level I think we're screwed . At least I still have my job for the time being unlike so many others who don't .
Bill and Ted tonight , party on dudes .
[quoted image]

We had to start wearing masks today at work and get this. If I am sitting in my control room with another person we dont have to wear our masks as long as we are 6 feet apart, but if I walk outside and there is nobody in sight I have to wear my mask at all times.

Now I will be the first to tell you that im a dumbass but it doesn't take a genius to figure out how stupid that is.

Edit: There were just 4 people sitting around bullshitting in my office without masks and that's ok but dont you dare walk outside in the plant or even outside outdoors for that matter without your mask on when nobody is around you! Shaking my f*cking head!

#12973 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

We had to start wearing masks today at work and get this. If I am sitting in my control room with another person we dont have to wear our masks as long as we are 6 feet apart, but if I walk outside and there is nobody in sight I have to wear my mask at all times.
Now I will be the first to tell you that im a dumbass but it doesn't take a genius to figure out how stupid that is.

When this first started I grabbed a mask from the welding department and wore to the lunchroom , once . The Chinese guy and the Indian guy wear them all the time . Maybe it's a cultural thing . Where I am it's pretty rare to see anyone wearing a mask . I'm pretty thorough at keeping my hands clean after touching door handles , computers , ect and keeping a good distance between people . We've been told don't use masks unless you have symptoms , because of the lack of them and itching and adjusting your mask after touching surfaces increases your chance of infecting yourself . We have relatively very low number of cases , so hopefully keeping your distance and using sanitizer will be enough .
You would think there would be worldwide standard protocols instead of every country , state , county , province , coming up with their own rules .

#12975 3 years ago

Drove past some idiot alone in his car wearing a mask today. Really laughed hard.

#12976 3 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Drove past some idiot alone in his car wearing a mask today. Really laughed hard.

I was cutting the yard and saw one person out walking wearing a mask.

#12977 3 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

I see that all the time too lol.

#12978 3 years ago

Here is a pic of the produce box we got saturday. We ate the fresh green beans last night.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#12979 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Here is a pic of the produce box we got saturday. We ate the fresh green beans last night. [quoted image]

Those are some huge green onions !

#12980 3 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

That's no so strange. The last thing I'd want to do is handle and re-handle the mask. For those who have business in varied locations, the mask stays on.

#12981 3 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

I was a member of a golf club in Irving TX where President Bush ran his Wounded Warrior tournament. My opinion of him personally changed when I saw how he treated these great heroes. I played golf with a few of them who were injured badly. They absolutely loved him. I was shocked at how humble he was, and all the things he did that they kept out of the press. And the golf corporation Club Corp of America. The corporation gave each participant a lifetime free membership at the club of their choice. This gesture from CCA changed these guys lives for the better for these courageous guys. I was also amazed at how good some of these guys are. I could beat pros in the pro shop most of my adult life and a couple of these guys could beat me straight up.

His support of our warriors has always been outstanding. My turning point was when I saw him keynote a Chamber dinner in Lancaster maybe 4 years back. Self-effacing, humorous, and genuinely warm. Engaged the crowd and truly sensed he didn't want the night to end. Was a complete 180 from how I viewed him through the media, when he was CIC.

#12982 3 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

That's no so strange. The last thing I'd want to do is handle and re-handle the mask. For those who have business in varied locations, the mask stays on.

#12986 3 years ago

All companies do whatever the hell that they want to, it's not just Amazon. The average Joe worker has no say and must do as they say and never speak up about things, even unsafe or life threatening conditions. This is why unions need to make a comeback.

#12987 3 years ago

Flatten the curve and protect the old. Yeah right. States forced
Many retirement homes to take in people with the virus and caused hundreds of deaths. Some good info for the numbers people in the links on this page too. https://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/news/20200501/states-ordered-nursing-homes-to-take-covid-19-residents-thousands-died-how-it-happened

#12988 3 years ago

That’s America 2020:

Smear the whistleblowers. Lie. Do whatever it takes to blame others. Deny responsibility. Protect your “company” at all costs. Never admit fault. Nothing but happy talk.

I really wonder if Americans are getting tired of this.

#12989 3 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

I guess I'm that idiot. I have 3 stores to go to when I shop. I mask up when I get to the first store. I don't take it off just to drive around the block to the Walmart. I take the mask off when I'm done shopping and then wash and sanitize it when I get home

#12990 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So one good thing about all of this has been that life doesn't seem as crazy and faced paced anymore. No more driving to multiple family parties per month, no more meeting up with mutliple friends per month for dinner or drinks, no more packed non stop weekends, no where near as much driving, etc.
Don't get me wrong I like seeing my friends and family but I forgot what it felt like to be this relaxed. Hell I read a story about how one family forgot what it felt like to sit down for dinner as a family in their own home as they were always on the go.
Anyone else feel similar?
Today sitting around drinking beer.
[quoted image]

100% YES...the fast paced go go go way of living sucks. And btw...I use that quote from Office Space every so often...that movie is a masterpiece!

#12991 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I guess I'm that idiot. I have 3 stores to go to when I shop. I mask up when I get to the first store. I don't take it off just to drive around the block to the Walmart. I take the mask off when I'm done shopping and then wash and sanitize it when I get home

And that makes perfect sense. It's safer just to keep it until you are done with all your errands.

#12992 3 years ago

Laughing at someone wearing a mask really annoys me. Six months ago I would have probably laughed also, but not anymore.

Sure the mask will not do very much to protect its wearer, but it is great help to protect others. Many of those infected have mild or no symptoms, but still spread the virus.

As for the people wearing a mask while driving, they are doing it just right. Put the mask on at home, with clean hands, then don't take it off even if you are at a 'safe' place such as your car for a while. Go shopping or whatever, wearing the mask, then drive home still wearing it. Wash your hands, then take the mask off and throw it away avoiding touching it and wash your hands again. Removing and re-wearing the mask, touching your face with possibly contaminated hands does more harm than the possibility of some ignorant laughing at you wearing a mask while driving.

#12993 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

And that makes perfect sense. It's safer just to keep it until you are done with all your errands.

I pull mine on and off like 400 times a day.

I wash my hands about that many times a day too seems like.

#12994 3 years ago

Does anyone have a good reusable cloth mask that they can recommend? I have some N95 masks and a handful of cheap surgical masks, but I'm looking for something I can wash and re-use, and that's comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

#12995 3 years ago

Good for him! A costly decision for him, but I always love to see people putting principles over money.

May 1st was my last day as a VP and Distinguished Engineer at Amazon Web Services, after five years and five months of rewarding fun. I quit in dismay at Amazon firing whistleblowers who were making noise about warehouse employees frightened of Covid-19.

What with big-tech salaries and share vestings, this will probably cost me over a million (pre-tax) dollars, not to mention the best job I’ve ever had, working with awfully good people. So I’m pretty blue.

continued here: https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/202x/2020/04/29/Leaving-Amazon

#12997 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Anybody in the mood for more bad news?

Second shutdown coming July?

#12998 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Does anyone have a good reusable cloth mask that they can recommend? I have some N95 masks and a handful of cheap surgical masks, but I'm looking for something I can wash and re-use, and that's comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

My partner sewed a bunch, they work great. I have 3, I go shopping once a week now and wear one, then toss it in the wash after and have a new one queued up ready to go. There are a lot of people selling them on Etsy, what you generally want is a two layered one that has some sort of substantial material like bendable wire for the bridge of your nose so it's tight there.

#12999 3 years ago

I just rubber band a hepa furnace filter around my face with 2 holes cut out for eyes. Nobody seems to get within 10 ft of me.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 260 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/260?hl=murphdom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.