272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 258 of 576.
#12850 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

NY officially closed school facilities for the remainder of the academic year.
[quoted image]

Knew that was coming. They may be canceling next year too.

#12852 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

There are lots of people starting to open carry around here now and nobody even gives them a 2nd look. Only a mentally weak person would care. People who are afraid of guns are so terribly misinformed that is ridiculous.

One of these guys walks into the park or Costco where you and your family are and you don't give him a 2nd look?

I challenge you to a mental contest.

960x0 (resized).jpg960x0 (resized).jpg

#12853 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Why is everyone so worried opening up? As long as you, your family members, and close friends or co-workers don't have any of the pre-existing conditions, you will be just fine! Enjoy!
[quoted image]

You’ve forgotten the demographics here. Most pinheads have several of these conditions my friend.

#12854 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

There are lots of people starting to open carry around here now and nobody even gives them a 2nd look. Only a mentally weak person would care. People who are afraid of guns are so terribly misinformed that is ridiculous.

Around here they don't even let children play with cap guns anymore, or play cowboys and indians.

But we are still free to gather in mass and start riots.

#12855 3 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

You’ve forgotten the demographics here. Most pinheads have several of these conditions my friend.

That was kind of my point. My comments are usually understated.

#12856 3 years ago

That's the one thing I keep forgetting.

Although many here are ten to twenty years younger, many have aged well beyond their years and are not easily immune to something like this.

Carry on...

#12857 3 years ago

Just a reminder to stay on topic. This is a COVID-19 thread, not a discussion on gun control.

#12858 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Just a reminder to stay on topic. This is a COVID-19 thread, not a discussion on gun control.

What does every think about GUNS

and Roses from JJP?

How long do you speculate COVID will cost in terms of production time?

Seriously though. (Sorryish)

#12859 3 years ago

My girlfriend, who I live with has cystic fibrosis, a gene defect that among other things, causes a lot of lung infections. She's 35, in the past couple of years there have been a series of huge advances in medicine targeting her specific gene defect that has greatly improved her life. Most of our friends just think she's completely normal, they don't see how many pills she takes or how when she gets a cold or flu from one of them that she gets sick for months and often has to take IV antibiotics. And for the most part, her life is normal, save for the pills and getting way sicker than you or I from a cold or flu. A lot of the social distancing, hand washing, sanitizing stuff that everyone is doing now are normal for her and me. If she gets this, she's going to be in bad shape. A few people that have CF have gotten it and recovered, or are in recovery, but it will take them 3-6 months. A few have died. We are lucky in that our jobs adapted quickly and we can both work from home. I'll have to go back eventually, but probably later than most of my co-workers in an attempt to minimize exposure and risk.

She says one benefit for her is long term people are learning better habits of handwashing and social distancing and businesses are adopting a lot of social distancing measures that they will keep in place. While it sucks a lot for people like her right now, long term she thinks Americans will up their cleanliness and social distancing game in a way that will have benefits for immune compromised people. So there is a silver lining.

#12860 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

One of these guys walks into the park or Costco where you and your family are and you don't give him a 2nd look?
I challenge you to a mental contest.
[quoted image]

Of course I'd be Leary of that guy but they're at a protest not Costco.

#12861 3 years ago

For those not the youngest or in the best shape, this should help at least somewhat put your minds at ease.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/us/woman-101-beat-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

200428143036-01-angelina-friedman-exlarge-169 (resized).jpg200428143036-01-angelina-friedman-exlarge-169 (resized).jpg

#12862 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The powers can open the country all they want. I leave the house only for groceries. Without a vaccine, I don't see that changing.

Other than wishful thinking, what makes you think that a vaccine will be available?

#12863 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Around here they don't even let children play with cap guns anymore, or play cowboys and indians.

man i can remember spending hours playing cops and robbers. We had a thick rule set too. Everyone on their banana seat bikes, wades of fake cash. Cap guns with speed reloaders.

#12864 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If people aren't going to work... people don't spend money on... dry cleaning.

dry cleaners were probably going to take a hit, regardless.

"how do you get shirts so clean, mr lee ?"
"ancient chinese secret."

"we need more calgon !"
"ancient chinese secret, huh?"

#12865 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That reminded me of the old mini golf down there on El Camino Real north end of town. Remember they had a shack that had pool tables and a few pinball machines in there?

I remember that. A guy from my high school class got investors to build a new mini golf here in town. Unfortunately he and his friends were convicted of embezzlement and we don't have a mini golf. But we do have our memories of that mini golf from the 70s and 80s.

#12867 3 years ago

Sounds like Warren Buffet sold all his airline stocks. It seems like it could be because that industry is now going to be too unpredictable to be a stable investment with travel being down.

I'm certainly not making any travel plans for the near future.

#12868 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

For those not the youngest or in the best shape, this should help at least somewhat put your minds at ease.
[quoted image]

Good for her. She’s probably been smoking pall malls for 85 years.

Some people beat the odds.

#12869 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

I was hoping they were gonna say her secret was drinking whiskey and eating chocolate.

Quoted from cottonm4:

The powers can open the country all they want. I leave the house only for groceries. Without a vaccine, I don't see that changing.

I figure we do the same for all retail as is being done for grocery shopping, meaning masks required, floor markers so people can keep their distance in line, limit how many people in a store at once and keep the first couple of hours for seniors only. If that works for grocery stores, why not try that for other retail?

#12870 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Good for her. She’s probably been smoking pall malls for 85 years.
Some people beat the odds.

Yep, I mentioned this before, but my mom was born in 1922. Talked to her today and she fully understands what's going on now, and is doing just fine.

She had two older sisters, one born in 1918 and the other 1920. Guess we know what her mom was doing during the last pandemic.

Her mom did not like or go to doctors, but she had a stroke around 90. When mom's sister got her to the hospital, she saw the sign and said "god no" and died right there in the car.

#12871 3 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I figure we do the same for all retail as is being done for grocery shopping, meaning masks required, floor markers so people can keep their distance in line, limit how many people in a store at once and keep the first couple of hours for seniors only. If that works for grocery stores, why not try that for other retail?

I've heard of retail stores doing curb-side pick-up.

#12872 3 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

I remember that. A guy from my high school class got investors to build a new mini golf here in town. Unfortunately he and his friends were convicted of embezzlement and we don't have a mini golf. But we do have our memories of that mini golf from the 70s and 80s.

Nice crew.

Didn't it catch fire? For some reason I remember a burned up shack before they tore it down.

I also remember when The Adolescents destroyed the Miramar Theatre, but that's another story.

#12873 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

We've done curbside with our last three grocery store pickups. Order online and select a pickup time slot. At the appointed time, pull into a designated parking spot, pop your trunk, and hit a call button. Within a couple of minutes a masked employee wheels out your order and loads your trunk.

#12874 3 years ago

#12875 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Of course I'd be Leary of that guy but they're at a protest not Costco.

He is protesting the Coronavirus Stay at Home order. His attire and accouterments were optional. It’s just as out of place and unnecessary there as it would be at Costco.

Many weak minds agree!

#12876 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Sounds like Warren Buffet sold all his airline stocks. It seems like it could be because that industry is now going to be too unpredictable to be a stable investment with travel being down.
I'm certainly not making any travel plans for the near future.

Here is some reading on it with Warren speaking. Thanks for posting it.

" I think there are certain industries, and unfortunately, I think that the airline industry, among others, that are really hurt by a forced shutdown by events that are far beyond our control"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/02/warren-buffett-says-berkshire-sold-its-entire-position-in-airlines-because-of-the-coronavirus.html

"

#12877 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Quoted from wrb1977:

Other than wishful thinking, what makes you think that a vaccine will be available?

I didn't say I thought a vaccine would be available. Where did you come up with that?

#12878 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

From yesterday. HB has always known how to throw a party.[quoted image][quoted image]

Surf City USA®

#12879 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Women seem to be farting better then men.

In New York City, men have been dying of coronavirus at almost twice the rate of women. The city’s health department reported in early April that 43 COVID-19 deaths for every 100,000 men, compared with 23 deaths for every 100,000 women

“Some of the underlying reasons why COVID-19 may be more deadly for men than women may include the fact that heart disease is more common in elderly men than in elderly women,” Dr. Stephen Berger, an infectious disease expert and co-founder of the Global Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology Network (GIDEON), told Healthline. “Studies also find that high blood pressure and liver disease are more prevalent in men and these all contribute to more negative outcomes with COVID-19.”

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/men-more-susceptible-to-serious-covid-19-illnesses

#12880 3 years ago

Well this is interesting regarding Texas starting to reopen.

"Texas reported its highest daily number of COVID-19 deaths, just a day before Governor Abbott’s stay-at-home order expired and the state began reopening. On Thursday, the Lone Star State death toll reached 50, bringing the total number of coronavirus fatalities in the state to 782. Positive cases increased by 1,033, the biggest one-day jump in three weeks."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/covid-19-cases-rise-state-starts-1st-phase/story?id=70454101

So many guidelines and it doesn't sound like there won't be a strict rule on enforcement of them. Every man for himself seems to be the approach?

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/heres-whats-reopening-texas-phase-1-begins-restaurants-bars-church-nail-salon/287-4367ea93-e363-4178-99f3-6bd1a177ca9b

#12881 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So many guidelines and it doesn't sound like there won't be a strict rule on enforcement of them. Every man for himself seems to be the approach?

I wouldn't say that necessarily, gonna be an interesting couple of weeks though.
Texas has a descent amount of cases, but it's pretty spread out and fewer cases per million then most states. Then again our testing per million is pretty low too, so IDK.

#12882 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Women seem to be farting better then men.

Maybe it is the fiber in their diet that makes them a little gassier.

#12883 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I met a guy today to buy guitar strings. It was awesome to be in a store again.

He lifted the gate and let me in, we both had masks on, it was fine. Had a really nice chat about guitars and pinball and I was able to buy some odds and ends locally instead of waiting for it from Guitar Center. This is a boutique model that isn't going to apply many places, but hey whatever. Just pointing out I pulled off a retail transaction at a store in the heart of Coronaville.

I wonder if we were violating the Gov's order?

Man he had some gorgeous guitars in there. If anybody is looking for a MINT 1971 Gibson SG (awesome guitar the last of the good ones in the 70s) this guy has one for a good price, $3800.

#12884 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's been "every man for himself" since the day this started here in the USA. Not sure why this phase - the "let's pretend it's over and start acting like it's over" phase - would be any different.

America 2020: Yer On Your Own Sucka!

That would be a great campaign slogan.

#12885 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

We have open carry in Colorado also but you're far safer with those people than some gang banger with a 38 hidden in his pants. I have my concealed carry permit, I'm weapons trained (required) and it's the bad guys that need to be nervous. I find that people who don't own and respect firearms have a lot of misunderstandings about those that do. - Although I do understand it's a scary look portrayed in those type of pictures.
And with people unemployed and liquor stores still open, I'm glad to have my Glock 26 on me.

Along the same lines I have had many discussions with my oldest on how different school is from when I was in high school in the late 80’s and early 90’s. We had smoking areas for students who provided parental consent. Almost every truck had a shotgun in the rear window. I had a couple of teachers who were armed; they were ex military. Seeing guns in a public place is something I grew up with, but I have never seen a shooting.

Also our principal was an ex boxer and was know to box some of the students. One of my friends really didn’t like school or him and entered the ring. It didn’t go well for my friend, they came to a come to Jesus meeting and he toned it down after that.

#12886 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

My girlfriend, who I live with has cystic fibrosis, a gene defect that among other things, causes a lot of lung infections. She's 35, in the past couple of years there have been a series of huge advances in medicine targeting her specific gene defect that has greatly improved her life. Most of our friends just think she's completely normal, they don't see how many pills she takes or how when she gets a cold or flu from one of them that she gets sick for months and often has to take IV antibiotics. And for the most part, her life is normal, save for the pills and getting way sicker than you or I from a cold or flu. A lot of the social distancing, hand washing, sanitizing stuff that everyone is doing now are normal for her and me. If she gets this, she's going to be in bad shape. A few people that have CF have gotten it and recovered, or are in recovery, but it will take them 3-6 months. A few have died. We are lucky in that our jobs adapted quickly and we can both work from home. I'll have to go back eventually, but probably later than most of my co-workers in an attempt to minimize exposure and risk.
She says one benefit for her is long term people are learning better habits of handwashing and social distancing and businesses are adopting a lot of social distancing measures that they will keep in place. While it sucks a lot for people like her right now, long term she thinks Americans will up their cleanliness and social distancing game in a way that will have benefits for immune compromised people. So there is a silver lining.

Years ago when I first started going into outside sales, I would get very sick on a continual basis. I did some research and changed my habits, I wash my hands often and don’t touch my face. I became very diligent on doing this during flu season. This has helped me stay safe during COVID and I hope other people make this part of their daily routine. Wash your hands often and don’t touch your face.

#12887 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Surf City USA®

#12888 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah many places are doing that in our area. Today on our walk we went by an Albertsons grocery store and there are parking spots where you pull up, an employee comes out and loads your items in the trunk and off you go. We bought some paint from a paint store the other day and it was the same, pull up, they loaded the trunk and we took off. The Nordstroms nearby does the same, etc and of course most every restaurant is doing that. Employees loading your stuff wear masks but you don't really encounter them aside from giving them a thank you as they walk off.

I am genuinely curious though if some restaurants find they actually make more money in this new environment compared to how they operated before. Like one of our favorite restaurants we walked by today previously only supported Grub Hub, but now they have a banner out that shows they support Uber Eats, Door Dash, Grub Hub, etc and now offer their own delivery as well. Likewise I wonder if some may notice that they don't actually need all that indoor space for tables and instead can earn more by focusing on online delivery and pickup.

#12890 3 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

dry cleaners were probably going to take a hit, regardless.
"how do you get shirts so clean, mr lee ?"
"ancient chinese secret."
"we need more calgon !"
"ancient chinese secret, huh?"

Laughed my ass off " every bing bong " costs 2 cents .

#12891 3 years ago

It's only funny if you heard it straight from the source.

#12892 3 years ago

One Brooklyn funeral home ran out of space and stored dozens of bodies in a uhaul truck & tractor trailer...which were unrefrigerated....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/nyregion/bodies-brooklyn-funeral-home-coronavirus.html

The funeral home claimed that there were no more refrigerated trucks available.

So, why were they still accepting remains if they had no space? Were they compelled to accept them for some reason?

#12893 3 years ago

Back in the day there were ice trucks.

crystal_ice_truck (resized).jpgcrystal_ice_truck (resized).jpg
#12894 3 years ago

Video from a couple weeks ago about refrigerated trucks:

Video from a month ago with a funeral home director being interviewed on why he was storing remains over capacity and unrefrigerated:

And a follow-up article on the situation many NYC funeral homes are facing: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/30/nyregion/coronavirus-nyc-funeral-home-morgue-bodies.html

#12895 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Back in the day there were ice trucks.

I remember my family rented a vacation house for 2 weeks on the beach coast in Greece, there was an old refrigerator with large ice block on top.....the year was 1975......unbelievable!
No ice trucks, we bought an ice block nearby and carry it to the house few times.....hehehe

I was told that house was built around 1930s and has no electricity until around 1971
3590354-stooges-with-ice-jim-pauley (resized).jpg3590354-stooges-with-ice-jim-pauley (resized).jpg

#12896 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I’m glad to hear your girlfriend is doing well! My friend is 50 and end stage CF hoping for (but not likely to qualify for) a lung transplant. She doesn’t qualify for Trikafta bc she has a rare variant, but Kalydeco has helped a little bit. As you said, most CF patients are already practicing the extreme social distancing and cleanliness measures, but she’s shared some articles about a couple of CF patients who fared unexpectedly well. My friend has shared a couple articles with some unexpectedly good results for CF patients where they were speculating that bc CF patient lungs are already in a constant state of attack (and their bodies are used to it), they weren’t as susceptible to the cytokine storm as non-CF patients were. So there’s a little bit of potentially good news for folks who have to already deal with so much!

ETA: The local paper wrote a really nice article about my friend, if anyone is interested.
https://qcnerve.com/a-look-at-the-life-of-a-resident-at-risk/

9D654CDC-B8B5-4138-839A-CCEDD678B4E2 (resized).jpeg9D654CDC-B8B5-4138-839A-CCEDD678B4E2 (resized).jpeg
#12897 3 years ago

Not even the coronavirus would want to mess with the Mountain .

Rambo III tonight .

IMG_20200503_193855 (resized).jpgIMG_20200503_193855 (resized).jpgIMG20200503204516 (resized).jpgIMG20200503204516 (resized).jpg
#12898 3 years ago
EXBgonkWsAAYZXp (resized).jpegEXBgonkWsAAYZXp (resized).jpeg
#12899 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The funeral home claimed that there were no more refrigerated trucks available.

ice cream trucks arent just for kids anymore.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 258 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/258?hl=wrb1977 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.