272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 255 of 576.
#12700 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So have any of you guys been able to get hand sanitizer where you live?

We have been fortunate enough to have sourced over 30,000 gallons so far, and currently sitting on over 20,000 gallons. Our company 'acquired' all that could be produced from a local distillery through the end of May.
We've been shipping it everywhere under the sun. It's just pure denatured 80% Ethanol, but it works. Primarily going to automotive, facilities and food and beverage producers and chemical plants.
I'm actually getting worried we might have too much as I'm starting to get SPAM from competitors advertising they too have sanitizer. All be it about 2X what we are sourcing it for. I've heard Specs' is selling it, Lowes has gotten supplies.

Thus it's making it's way around.
Keep in mind we are working with just ONE local distillery, and there must be thousands of them in this country likely doing the very same thing.

How many gallons can I put you down for?

sani pallet (resized).jpgsani pallet (resized).jpg
#12701 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So have any of you guys been able to get hand sanitizer where you live? I'm well stocked on pretty much everything else, but I haven't been able to find hand sanitizer at all since this whole thing started.

3.00 dollars at rural king. I would complain but I’m getting paid to sit at home.

A65CD409-9DD2-4939-997A-30AD20E1391F (resized).jpegA65CD409-9DD2-4939-997A-30AD20E1391F (resized).jpeg
#12702 3 years ago
71M5HgVgHbL._AC_SY450_ (resized).jpg71M5HgVgHbL._AC_SY450_ (resized).jpg
#12703 3 years ago

A UPMC doctor on Thursday made a case the death rate for people infected with the new coronavirus may be as low as 0.25% — far lower than the mortality rates of 2-4% or even higher cited in the early days of the pandemic.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/04/umpc-argues-covid-19-not-as-deadly-as-feared-says-its-hospitals-will-shift-back-to-normal.html

#12704 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So have any of you guys been able to get hand sanitizer where you live? I'm well stocked on pretty much everything else, but I haven't been able to find hand sanitizer at all since this whole thing started.

I just found some on Groupon on a whim

#12705 3 years ago

I was just cutting up raw chicken as I prepare dinner tonight and we all know it's kinda nasty...……….

I understand food safety..............................I'm not gonna let nasty get me here.

I can keep salmonella at bay following good kitchen practice...………If society treated their interactions with others right now the same as raw chicken, and knew how to handle a raw chicken, transmission rates of Covid-19 would go down.

#12706 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

A UPMC doctor on Thursday made a case the death rate for people infected with the new coronavirus may be as low as 0.25% — far lower than the mortality rates of 2-4% or even higher cited in the early days of the pandemic.
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/04/umpc-argues-covid-19-not-as-deadly-as-feared-says-its-hospitals-will-shift-back-to-normal.html

I've read interviews from a handful of other epidemiologists that pretty much said the same thing.

#12707 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

That’s a valid point. Massachusetts hospitals are struggling - I will go for a routine checkup when things wind down.

By then it may be too late. This is a major problem right now...significant numbers of people are dying everyday because they are either too scared to seek treatment or do not want to be a burden to the healthcare system. This is just another example of the collateral damage of this virus...enough is enough. If anyone is experiencing serious medical problems or symptoms they should seek treatment the same as they would have before the virus.

#12708 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I touched on this in an earlier post...UPMC is is in the process of returning to business as usual and they are one of the nation’s top healthcare providers.

And yes, many recent studies have shown the death rate is similar to that of the flu. The difference being this virus is more contagious resulting in more cases and therefore more deaths.

#12709 3 years ago
2859CA0C-8EEA-4DDE-B76B-226B96AB1979 (resized).jpeg2859CA0C-8EEA-4DDE-B76B-226B96AB1979 (resized).jpeg
#12710 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It’s out around here with the exception of a few local distillers. I just ordered some from these guys. I’ve dealt with them on other purchases in the past and they are good people.

https://www.froggysfog.com/sanitizer/froggy-s-simply-sanitizer-hand-rub-formulation.html

#12711 3 years ago

They are now saying coronavirus can alter your brain.

DSCN6809 (resized).JPGDSCN6809 (resized).JPG
#12712 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Finally some good news for a change!!

#12713 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Aren't there 2 different numbers here?

But the two numbers describe different things: The first is a case fatality rate, reflecting deaths among people with confirmed diagnoses of covid-19. The second is the infection fatality rate, extrapolated from the antibody surveys.

source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/antibody-tests-support-whats-been-obvious-covid-19-is-much-more-lethal-than-flu/2020/04/28/2fc215d8-87f7-11ea-ac8a-fe9b8088e101_story.html

It's important to note that there is no one death rate for COVID-19; the rate can vary by location, age of person infected and the presence of underlying health conditions, Live Science previously reported.

Among reported COVID-19 cases in the U.S., nearly 6% have died. This is what's known as the case fatality rate, which is determined by dividing the number of deaths by the total number of confirmed cases. But the case fatality rate is limited for a few reasons. First, not everyone with COVID-19 is being diagnosed with the disease — this is in part due to testing limitations in the U.S. and the fact that people who experience mild or moderate symptoms may not be eligible for or seek out testing. As the number of confirmed cases goes up, the fatality rate may decrease.

Researchers from Columbia University recently estimated that only 1 in 12 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. are documented, which they said would translate to an infection fatality rate of about 0.6%, according to The Washington Post. But even this lower estimate is still at least six times higher than that of the flu. (The case fatality rate in people who become sick with flu may be 0.1%, but when you account for people who become infected with flu but never show symptoms, the death rate will be half or even a quarter of that, the Post reported.)

What's more, unlike the flu, for which there is a vaccine, everyone in the population is theoretically susceptible to COVID-19. So while the flu affects 8% of the U.S. population every year, according to the CDC, between 50% and 80% of the population could be infected with COVID-19, according to a study published March 30 in the journal The Lancet. In the U.S., that would translate to 1 million deaths from COVID-19 if half the population becomes infected and there are no social distancing measures or therapeutics, the Post reported.

Another limitation with the case fatality rate is that some people who are counted as confirmed cases may eventually die from the disease, which would lead to an increase in the death rate. For example, South Korea initially reported a case fatality rate of 0.6% in early March, but it later rose to 1.7% by the beginning of April, according to New Scientist.

source: https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

#12714 3 years ago

The Charmin is back in stock for shipping. If you need TP and have a Sam's account, order now!

https://www.samsclub.com/p/charmin-ultra-soft-super-plus-toilet-paper-rolls/prod24480260

#12715 3 years ago
EFEC2168-F057-4C7D-88D5-2140EF4A7AA6 (resized).jpegEFEC2168-F057-4C7D-88D5-2140EF4A7AA6 (resized).jpeg
#12716 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

The Charmin is back in stock for shipping. If you need TP and have a Sam's account, order now!
https://www.samsclub.com/p/charmin-ultra-soft-super-plus-toilet-paper-rolls/prod24480260

Dammit. Sold out already.

I think the TRUE sign of when it's OK to open up, is when you can purchase toilet paper like you could back in 2019.

tzxn8dj5wzv41 (resized).jpgtzxn8dj5wzv41 (resized).jpg
#12717 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

.6% is what medical people have been saying for a while, maybe higher depending on the region/medical facilities. But .25% is basically not even feasible if you can do basic math.

There are 19.45 million people in New York State. That's a fact.
And there are 23k deaths so far from it in New York State. That's also a fact.
That's .12% right there. So unless you think that New York state has had 10 million cases, there's no way it could be .25%. Even at 5 million cases, that's .48%.

I think they thought for the state they were at 15% antibodies, which would indicate around 3 million cases, which is around .8%. New York City I think was around 25% but I don't have the broken out toll for it (or what population they were exactly using).

So in summary, it's not 2% to 4% probably but it's also basically mathematically impossible to be .25%. .5% to 1% is the most probable rate.

#12718 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Dammit. Sold out already.
I think the TRUE sign of when it's OK to open up, is when you can purchase toilet paper like you could back in 2019.[quoted image]

Ain't that the truth! Save the link and check it every now and then. It's popping in and out of stock. If you aren't too terribly finicky, they also have Ultra Strong. I was finally able to order one. Should be good for another month or 2

#12719 3 years ago
95272669_10163419820755072_790143625911599104_o (resized).jpg95272669_10163419820755072_790143625911599104_o (resized).jpg
#12720 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Ain't that the truth! Save the link and check it every now and then. It's popping in and out of stock. If you aren't too terribly finicky, they also have Ultra Strong. I was finally able to order one. Should be good for another month or 2

Most stores in the Detroit area have TP in stock. Costco has their big packs of big rolls every morning. Even Target, who has had bare shelves for all paper products (three different locations) has multi-packs just sitting there. Meijer as well. Target now has masks ($15.00 for ten).

I want Harbor Freight to get nitrile gloves back in stock for car repair use....

#12721 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Most stores in the Detroit area have TP in stock. Costco has their big packs of big rolls every morning. Even Target, who has had bare shelves for all paper products (three different locations) has multi-packs just sitting there. Meijer as well. Target mow has masks ($15.00 for ten).

My local aldi had plenty in stock a couple days ago--pretty much full shelves. Purchases limited to one small pack per customer. The price was a bit on the high side too. But if you needed it...

Cleaning supplies were totally cleaned out aside from a few remaining sponges and a couple of lonely bottles of dish soap.

Quoted from MrBally:

I want Harbor Freight to get nitrile gloves back in stock for car repair use....

No kidding--I had a few boxes from before the shut down, and it hasn't taken too long to burn through most of those.

#12722 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Most stores in the Detroit area have TP in stock. Costco has their big packs of big rolls every morning. Even Target, who has had bare shelves for all paper products (three different locations) has multi-packs just sitting there. Meijer as well. Target mow has masks ($15.00 for ten).

That's good to know. I made the rounds today and my Target didn't have any TP. My local Sams had Ultra Strong, but they also had a line wrapped around half the building waiting to get in.

#12723 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

My local aldi had plenty in stock a couple days ago. Purchases limited to one small pack per customer. The price was a bit on the high side too. But if you needed it...

No kidding--I had a few boxes from before the shut down, and it hasn't taken too long to burn through most of those.

Good reminder, I was in an Aldi's on Monday. They had plenty of 12-packs of double rolls at a ridiculous price of $8.99. But they had plenty.
Supply & demand....

#12724 3 years ago

We all know where this virus came from! It came from carol baskins septic tank!

#12725 3 years ago

People tend to get upset at "price gauging". I do too if you buy up supply and auction it off. But, if you're a store that regularly stocks it, and your supply is limited, you absolutely SHOULD increase the price. It makes people decide whether it's worth it for them or not. So many people are buying things just because they see them in stock, regardless of how much supply they personally have. Up that price and only the people that need it get it.

#12726 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

My local aldi had plenty in stock a couple days ago--pretty much full shelves. Purchases limited to one small pack per customer. The price was a bit on the high side too. But if you needed it...
Cleaning supplies were totally cleaned out aside from a few remaining sponges and a couple of lonely bottles of dish soap.

Prices are going to increase. As someone who works on the manufacturing side, I want to give a view into this process. Aldi and others are not gouging, they are passing the increase costs along.

When a manufacturer encounters an increase of demand they reach out to their commodity supplier. They request expedited service, which costs more. Manufacturing goes from normal to increased production, which means overtime for employees. Shipping product goes from standard to expedited which also costs more. All of these cost increases are then passed along to eventually the consumer. The price of TP to the store is going to be dramatically different than it was a few months ago.

As a manufacturer, when this cost of manufacturing an item has changed dramatically you will inform the distributor that the price has changed. You will no longer be accepting PO with the previous price. The only distributor that I know who might be able to fight the price increase is Wal-Mart. Most of their PO ore on a 360 day term. Which means if you break the contract you will not be paid for 1 year of product. Of course we were a small company, don’t know how this plays out on a proctor gamble situation.

#12727 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Good reminder, I was in an Aldi's on Monday. They had plenty of 12-packs of double rolls at a ridiculous price of $8.99. But they had plenty.
Supply & demand....

The belief that Aldi is not paying more is false. They are passing along the increase of cost.

#12728 3 years ago

there are consequences to rushing things.

captain smith thought nothing of opening her up a little,
only to find himself facing a second wave.

titaniccaptain (resized).jpgtitaniccaptain (resized).jpg
#12729 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

We all know where this virus came from!

if you call the wuhan institute of virology and speak directly to the higher-ups, they will confirm it was discovered in a bat cave.
batphone2 (resized).jpgbatphone2 (resized).jpg

#12730 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200501-005658~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200501-005658~2 (resized).png
#12731 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

As far as I am concerned, these are the only numbers that matter.

We are at 63,856 dead today. At this rate we will see 70,000 by Tuesday.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 8.55.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-30 at 8.55.27 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 8.54.54 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-30 at 8.54.54 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 8.54.43 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-30 at 8.54.43 PM (resized).png

#12732 3 years ago

Here is a Mark Cuban interview.

A ways back in the interview he talks why a restaurant can't open up to 25% capacity and hope to make a profit.

He also sounds more responsive to the safety needs of the employees.

#12733 3 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

if you call the wuhan institute of virology and speak directly to the higher-ups, they will confirm it was discovered in a bat cave.
[quoted image]

WTF! A tiger broke into a bat cave! That makes sense! Now we have tiger bat flu going around!

#12734 3 years ago

China lied about how bad this was going to be. In January China ordered Chinese nationals all over the world to buy massive amounts of PPE and send them back to the “motherland”. China has been reselling those masks back at an inflated price and is actively preventing other countries from getting supplies.

We all knew it was bad, I didn’t know it was this bad. Some would look at this as acts of war almost.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/united-front-groups-in-canada-helped-beijing-stockpile-coronavirus-safety-supplies/ar-BB13pYoS?ocid=spartandhp

#12736 3 years ago

No posts in 5 hours , we've either beaten the virus or no one cares anymore .

Watching the Jordan doco tonight .

IMG20200501225141 (resized).jpgIMG20200501225141 (resized).jpg
#12737 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

No posts in 5 hours , we've either beaten the virus or no one cares anymore .
Watching the Jordan doco tonight .
[quoted image]

Mods are a bit slow!

#12738 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Mods are a bit slow!

It's funny , a mod would have read that and then said " yes , I will let that go up " . I'm sure they're doing their best .

#12739 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200501-093540~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200501-093540~2 (resized).png
#12741 3 years ago
CASH! (resized).pngCASH! (resized).png
#12742 3 years ago

Travel plans in 2020:

Screenshot_20200501-102504~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200501-102504~2 (resized).png
#12743 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

It's funny , a mod would have read that and then said " yes , I will let that go up " . I'm sure they're doing their best .

Absolutely!

#12744 3 years ago

I feel sorry for the meat packing employees.

The Prez. used the Defense Production Act to order the meat packers to stay open only because the meat packer bosses lobbied for him to use the act.

Seems all of the towns the packers are located in want/wanted the packers to shut down because they are cesspools for spreading the virus. So, the packers wanted govt. help to override what the locals officials wanted. And also to get some sort of shield for liabilities.

Whether the worker bees get good PPE and get to work in a safe environment seems to be way down on the list of things to do.

I can understand the packers desperation. If the packers shut down, the farmers and ranchers will have to start culling their herds of cattle and hogs. It will take a long time to recover if farmers get shut down.

The packers big concern: Will the employees come back to work without some safety guarantees?

Anyway, the first 18 minutes is informative.

#12745 3 years ago

I see we are back to the ole “shitting on the sidewalks in NY / CA” routine. Some greatest hits never get old, right?

Since you seem deeply concerned about the welfare of New Yorkers, I’ll tell you “WTF.”

WTF is that there’s an unprecedented health crisis in nyc, tens of thousands have died, and one of the countless by products of this crisis is more and more homeless people are camping out on Subways at the same time as MTA workers are getting sick and dying, and general ridership is down 90 percent.

So it’s kind of a shitshow, pardon the pun. Not sure if you noticed but this isn’t exactly normal times around here. The subways have always been “cleaned all along” but these are unprecedented times in 2020.

Thanks for your concern though. I’m sure we’ll straighten things out ASAP.

#12746 3 years ago

Actually, that song was written in Australia in 1959. Johnny Cash was a late arrival to sing it in 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ve_Been_Everywhere

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 10.43.16 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-01 at 10.43.16 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 10.43.30 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-01 at 10.43.30 AM (resized).png

#12747 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I see we are back to the ole “shitting on the sidewalks in NY / CA” routine. Some greatest hits never get old, right?
Since you seem deeply concerned about the welfare of New Yorkers, I’ll tell you “WTF.”
WTF is that there’s an unprecedented health crisis in nyc, tens of thousands have died, and one of the countless by products of this crisis is more and more homeless people are camping out on Subways at the same time as MTA workers are getting sick and dying, and general ridership is down 90 percent.
So it’s kind of a shitshow, pardon the pun. Not sure if you noticed but this isn’t exactly normal times around here. The subways have always been “cleaned all along” but these are unprecedented times in 2020.
Thanks for your concern though. I’m sure we’ll straighten things out ASAP.

Just posting the news feed, calm down Bro.

#12748 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I feel sorry for the meat packing employees.

The Prez. used the Defense Production Act to order the meat packers to stay open only because the meat packer bosses lobbied for him to use the act.
Seems all of the towns the packers are located in want/wanted the packers to shut down because they are cesspools for spreading the virus. So, the packers wanted govt. help to override what the locals officials wanted. And also to get some sort of shield for liabilities.
Whether the worker bees get good PPE and get to work in a safe environment seems to be way down on the list of things to do.
I can understand the packers desperation. If the packers shut down, the farmers and ranchers will have to start culling their herds of cattle and hogs. It will take a long time to recover if farmers get shut down.
The packers big concern: Will the employees come back to work without some safety guarantees?
Anyway, the first 18 minutes is informative.

Hehh...you said meat packing.

#12749 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Just posting the news feed, calm down Bro.

Most of our homeless people have been put in our empty hotels but we don't have that many homeless people compared to a lot of other countries . We are very lucky .

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 255 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/255?hl=fymf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.