272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 253 of 576.
#12600 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Comparing a home to a workplace is not quite equivalent...

Says the man with 39 pinball machines

Or something

Shit. Did I do that right?

#12601 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s an issue militant activists had to face during the aids crisis. It was finally understood they HAD to do a real, scientifically and medically sound test of the retroviral drugs.
Surely some lives were lost but the drugs were confirmed and have saved countless lives over the past 25 years.

Excellent video that is appropriate for the current times. AZT took a lot of lives in the nascent stages of HIV.

#12602 3 years ago

I can see why civilians like us get confused about masks, but it really comes down to the fact that there are 2 kinds of masks:

1. PPE: masks to keep other people's face juices out. Must be able to block small droplets.
2. Masks to keep your own face juices in: can be made of anything that blocks large droplets. Cotton t-shirt, whatever.

If I can keep selfish people without masks 6-10' away from me, I don't need PPE (mask #1). I just need mask #2 so that others don't think that I'm a selfish person without a mask.

#12603 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

What would you do with all the heads of cattle in the que ready for processing? This industry runs on a clock and needs to move along.

Tysons is going to "ethically" kill 2 Million chickens because they cant be processed. What a f'en horrible thing and a waste.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I got this letter in an IRS envelope a few days ago:[quoted image]

You were probably sent this because you received direct deposit (same as me). He still had to send a letter with accolades and that signature.

#12604 3 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

It’s hard to explain to someone who has not been to one of these markets, but you can not fathom how bad these markets are. You may have seen them on tv, but even then they are incredibly white-washed. As bad as factory farming is, it so much worse in these markets. Cages of stacked animals, sick from capture and transport, stacked on top of each other with puke, shit, and piss dripping onto each other. Live Sea turtles on blocks of ice, having their bodies cut in pieces to order over the span of a day. These places are beyond sadistic and unhygienic.

Quoted from hAbO:

The wet markets are bad but the US factory farming is just as despicable, gross and abusive. Most if not all infectious diseases start from zoological origins and jump to humans. Anthrax, aids, bird-flu, swine-flu, mad-cow, SARS, MERS, Covid-19 etc. If you've seen any factory farming...its not for the faint of heart. Its worse than any horror you can imagine. High density feed lots, and processing plants. You probably wont see a lot of open reporting because they have "ad-gag" laws that make it a crime to report a crime. If people are worried that their mail might have Corona but 80% of pigs have pneumonia when they are slaughtered. So they don't die before they die, we inject them with anti-biotics which of coarse get passed to people, leading to anti-biotic resistant diseases, leading to us dying from ever evolving diseases.
We are on the cusp to returning to a pre ant-biotic era where strep throat was a death sentence. If we (world) keep producing food the way we do, we are going to get sick with something medicine cant fix.
daditude - Sorry to hear about your great-uncle man. My Father similarly living in an assisted living facility and worry constantly about him and others there.

Is it ok to be against both inhumane factory farming and wet markets or do you have to choose a team?

#12605 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody is going to be clamoring to scab these jobs if the usual workers are too scared or sick to show up.

Except for maybe some wanna be immigrants who want to come to the states. The Feds could open the floodgates to a whole new lot of immigrants who would step right up and we could see the borders magically open up.

#12606 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You don’t care because you don’t work in a meat plant.
It’s “doable.” But the whole point of this order is they now don’t really have to do anything, and now they’ll be shielded from liability after they kill their workers.
It’s really awful. These companies were barely doing jack shit to protect their workers before, what makes you think they’ll step it up now that there’s an executive order with zero teeth as far as safety forcing them to stay open?

It is even worse - some states are trying to pass legislation that prohibits a meat packer from drawing unemployment if they refuse to go back to work.

If the factory opens up, even if they have unsatisfactory worker protections - no N95 masks, poor PPE in general, poor ventilation, work stations too close, no testing of workers, etc - and the worker deems it unsafe and refuses to work - it will be considered a self-termination and not eligible for unemployment benefits.

#12608 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

...says the gentleman living in a small apartment in NYC.

...and this is worse than living in a house in the middle of nowhere? Different strokes..

I prefer "good sized lot in an inner suburb" myself, but that isn't on the menu in Manhattan.

#12609 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You kill them. Pigs, chickens, cows are bring killed because there is nowhere to process them.
Pig farmers are putting their hogs on diet feed so they take longer to fatten up.
The other answer is to order the plants to stay open regardless of cost or what you have to do to keep them staffed. I wonder if we'll see prison labor used.

Prison labor in meat packing plants? That's been going on a long time. Those are tough, terrible jobs. I was a Physical Therapist for a while and saw many patients from local chicken processing plants. So many that I volunteered to take a couple intensive tours of the plant and make some ergonomic assessments/recs. They didn't accept any of the recommendations. Cheaper just to pay the workers comp premiums and keep that cheap chicken headed our way.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2020/03/19/north-carolina-prisoners-still-working-in-chicken-plants-despite-coronavirus-fears

#12610 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm a meat eater, and I still don't understand why meat production is so fundamentally important that we can't make do without it until the job can be done safely again. Will people starve if they don't have meat for a month? Don't we have plenty of fruits, vegetables, grains, fish, eggs, etc ...?

It is not just the packers. It is the farmers and ranchers, as well. If they have no market to take their hogs/cattle to they are going to have to start culling their herds. So now you not only have the problem of not be able to sell your livestock for a profit, you have to kill them off and find find something to do with all of the dead bodies. And the next thing that happens is the farmer has to start to build his herd from scratch again. That takes time.

And then when the packers are ready to open back up, there may not be any livestock coming in for slaughter.

#12611 3 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Just going to post some Killer Mike lyrics.
"Cos free labor is the cornerstone of US economics
Cos slavery was abolished, unless you are in prison
You think I am bullshitting, then read the 13th Amendment
Involuntary servitude and slavery it prohibits
That's why they giving drug offenders time in double digits"

Over in El Dorado KS is state penitentiary. It has been there for around 30 years ( It is where BTK is on Death Row ). One thing the prison did was allow the low level felons to work for the city doing lawn and garden work. etc.

Several year ago, the prison changed it parameters and closed down the outside-work programs. And the El Dorado mayor was quoted about wondering how she was going to get all that city lawn work done now that she was going to have to pay for it.

#12612 3 years ago

Poor people in other parts of the world don’t feast on dogs and bats

Do you ever watch documentaries on some of the Asian countries and see a bunch/pack of dogs running around. I always thought they were pets, just like here. Wrong.

Those dogs are sources of food that hang around for scraps and don't need to be fenced in.

#12613 3 years ago

what does that have to do with the price of bats in China?

#12614 3 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Just going to post some Killer Mike lyrics.

I misread that as “Prison Mike” lyrics and was thinking man, I must have missed that episode of The Office.

#12615 3 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Says the man with 39 pinball machines
Or something
Shit. Did I do that right?

Huh?

#12616 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

You were probably sent this because you received direct deposit (same as me). He still had to send a letter with accolades and that signature.

Yeah, the deposit came in over two weeks ago, though.

#12617 3 years ago

Some napkin math on sending out these letters, assuming there are no giant discounts or excessive costs, and this doesn't include the cost of the prep work preparing the mass mailing, or the machined labor for stuffing the envelopes.

Price per page: $0.01
Price per envelope: $0.04
Price to print a page: $0.05
According to the IRS, 250.3 million tax returns were filed in 2019
I couldn't find any info on the postage rate of the G-48 stamp, so assuming it's $0.50 (but I'm guessing it's probably a reduced government-only rate)

Total cost to send out all these letters: $150,180,000

At a guesstimated discount postage price of $0.40: $125,150,000

Ouch.

#12618 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It is not just the packers. It is the farmers and ranchers, as well. If they have no market to take their hogs/cattle to they are going to have to start culling their herds. So now you not only have the problem of not be able to sell your livestock for a profit, you have to kill them off and find find something to do with all of the dead bodies. And the next thing that happens is the farmer has to start to build his he'd from scratch again. That takes time.
And then when the packers are ready to open back up, there may not be any livestock coming in for slaughter.

Thanks. This definitely helps to put it into perspective. So basically the entire meat industry is a well-oiled machine that is constantly pumping out product. You throw a wrench into any part of that machine, and it has huge ramifications. I was just thinking it would mean we wouldn't have as much meat to eat. I wasn't thinking about the huge economic impact it could have on so many different facets of the meat industry as a whole.

#12619 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Some napkin math on sending out these letters,

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ouch.

Cost of perhaps the ultimate ego stroke... priceless

#12620 3 years ago

100 percent of people on earth would rather spend a day in my 4-room apartment in NYC than the killing floor of a hog plant. You've posted some doozies in this thread but this one takes the cake.

#12621 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I read that the letter was to be like a receipt in case the funds did not show up in your account for whatever reason.

The last 2 years I owed on Federal, and got back my state taxes. I thought it was the other way around and was waiting for the electronic deposit on the stimulus. When I checked on the irs website, it did not say anything about receiving a stimulus check. I was actually waiting for the letter you got in case there was an error and for some reason my stimulus did not process.

It dawned on me my last federal direct deposit refund was 3 years ago, and my direct deposits the last 2 were state. I probably now have another 2-3 weeks to wait for my physical check.

#12622 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Is it ok to be against both inhumane factory farming and wet markets or do you have to choose a team?

I’m guessing this question is with sarcasm because I thought it was fairly well stated.

#12623 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

what does that have to do with the price of bats in China?

What makes Crazy Levi, a guy living in a small apartment in NYC (which is somewhere on the rings of hell, too) the expert on conditions in meat packing plants? Outside of a CNN or MSNBC story he may have watched? That’s the point I was trying to make.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Some napkin math on sending out these letters, assuming there are no giant discounts or excessive costs, and this doesn't include the cost of the prep work preparing the mass mailing, or the machined labor for stuffing the envelopes.
Price per page: $0.01
Price per envelope: $0.04
Price to print a page: $0.05
According to the IRS, 250.3 million tax returns were filed in 2019
I couldn't find any info on the postage rate of the G-48 stamp, so assuming it's $0.50 (but I'm guessing it's probably a reduced government-only rate)
Ouch.

Here’s some napkin math for everyone: as of last Friday, there have been estimated 11,000 Nursing home resident deaths. At an approximate Medicaid monthly expense of $6,000, thats $66M in one month, and $792M annual “savings” to state Medicaid programs. And that’s not even looking at Medicare Part A and Part D costs, which are much higher.

#12624 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

100 percent of people on earth would rather spend a day in my 4-room apartment in NYC than the killing floor of a hog plant. You've posted some doozies in this thread but this one takes the cake.

And 100% of people that leave Mexico and Central America would rather spend a day on the “killing floor of a hog plant” than stay in those countries.

#12625 3 years ago

Amazon, FedEx, Walmart Workers Plan To Walk Out On Friday, Demanding Hazard Pay, Better Working Conditions.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/amazon-fedex-walmart-workers-plan-to-walk-out-on-friday-demanding-hazard-pay-better-working-conditions?%3Futm

#12627 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Amazon, FedEx, Walmart Workers Plan To Walk Out On Friday, Demanding Hazard Pay, Better Working Conditions.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/amazon-fedex-walmart-workers-plan-to-walk-out-on-friday-demanding-hazard-pay-better-working-conditions?%3Futm

Well, I guess we should have seen this one coming when some of the unemployed are getting 60% of their wages plus another 600 a week making more than if they worked a 40 hour week with little to no exposure to Covid...

#12628 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200421-150218~3 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200421-150218~3 (resized).png
#12629 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I got this letter in an IRS envelope a few days ago

I got one also,
So proud to be an American!

Or did i not need to tell you that.

#12630 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

And the feds could maybe have also included some useful information about Covid -19 and social distancing and other info
that might actually be helpful and informative to people, in the same mailing,
so as to not just be a waste of self congratulatory statements
and info that the people already having received funds by direct deposit already knew.

Just my two cents.

#12631 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

[quoted image]

lol! The next best use of pool noodles ever?

#12632 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

lol! The next best use of pool noodles ever?

The first being Bopping people with them??

#12633 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

The first being Bopping people with them??

or blowing water in their face.. take your pick

#12634 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Since I am retired, my income is low enough that I have not paid income taxes for 5 five years. I did not get direct deposit. But I got my check in the mail on Monday and I also was informed that I would get a letter like you got. Got the check but no letter.

#12635 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I’m guessing this question is with sarcasm because I thought it was fairly well stated.

It was well stated and my question was more rhetorical than sarcastic. Some are hyper-critical of one situation, but willfully blind to the other. Seems a consistent view would be to be concerned about both since they pose similar risks.

And your post stated that you were concerned about both, I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise.

#12636 3 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I read that the letter was to be like a receipt in case the funds did not show up in your account for whatever reason.
The last 2 years I owed on Federal, and got back my state taxes. I thought it was the other way around and was waiting for the electronic deposit on the stimulus. When I checked on the irs website, it did not say anything about receiving a stimulus check. I was actually waiting for the letter you got in case there was an error and for some reason my stimulus did not process.
It dawned on me my last federal direct deposit refund was 3 years ago, and my direct deposits the last 2 were state. I probably now have another 2-3 weeks to wait for my physical check.

Go to IRS.gov. Right there on the front page is a click banner that says "Get my Payment". You may want last years tax info handy. All you need to do is fill in the boxes. SSN, Last name. and Street address. I did that last week and it said my check would mail on 4-24. and it did.

#12638 3 years ago

That Trump letter saying America is at war with this invisible enemy. When has America never been at war? War on Health War on Terror War on this War on that fuck n hell!

#12639 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Prison labor in meat packing plants? That's been going on a long time. Those are tough, terrible jobs. I was a Physical Therapist for a while and saw many patients from local chicken processing plants. So many that I volunteered to take a couple intensive tours of the plant and make some ergonomic assessments/recs. They didn't accept any of the recommendations. Cheaper just to pay the workers comp premiums and keep that cheap chicken headed our way.
https://www.themarshallproject.org/2020/03/19/north-carolina-prisoners-still-working-in-chicken-plants-despite-coronavirus-fears

Frank Perdue: "It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken".

#12642 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200429-222555~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200429-222555~2 (resized).png
#12643 3 years ago

We did it. One day before the end of the month.

61,669 deaths.

1,064,572 total cases.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 10.31.16 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-29 at 10.31.16 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.34.19 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.34.19 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.34.31 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.34.31 PM (resized).png

OK. How many more will die by May 15? I'm going to say an average of 1500 per day. That would be another 22,500 people. The would put us at 84,000 dead.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 10.40.34 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-29 at 10.40.34 PM (resized).png

#12645 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

We did it. One day before the end of the month.
61,669 deaths.
1,064,572 total cases.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
OK. How many more will die by May 15? I'm going to say an average of 1500 per day. That would be another 22,500 people. The would put us at 84,000 dead.
[quoted image]

It's pretty morbid to speculate on, but since we don't have sports...

I'd say your assessment is correct. As states like New York decline I think we may see some others creep up.

#12646 3 years ago

And 100% of people that leave Mexico and Central America would rather spend a day on the “killing floor of a hog plant” than stay in those countries.

Honest question, have you ever been outside of the United States? Every time I go to the countries you mention, I don't want to leave. My country has consistently been ranked pretty high on the livablity scale. I've traveled extensively, and I've never heard a single human being respond to their home country the way you profess.

#12647 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Go to IRS.gov. Right there on the front page is a click banner that says "Get my Payment". You may want last years tax info handy. All you need to do is fill in the boxes. SSN, Last name. and Street address. I did that last week and it said my check would mail on 4-24. and it did.

Thanks, I check it every day. Your information does not show up until they are ready to send it, you have entered the wrong information, or you do not qualify for the check (which I should). You can't inquire about it until all checks get mailed out and they post on their website they are ready for inquiries. I've read that they are rightfully sending out checks to the lower income earners first, so I just got to be patient.

#12649 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Honest question, have you ever been outside of the United States? Every time I go to the countries you mention, I don't want to leave. My country has consistently been ranked pretty high on the livablity scale. I've traveled extensively, and I've never heard a single human being respond to their home country the way you profess.

Ok. So then, why do people from those areas want to come to the United States? Why do people leave such beautiful areas to work these hard jobs in American meat packing/processing plants? What is your country?

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 253 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/253?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.