272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 250 of 576.
#12450 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I assume they will be allowing one rider per cart, even with a foursome?

Yes, no touching the flags, no sand rakes or ball washers, there actually will be a raised cup, meaning that if your ball touches the raised cup it counts, so that way you don’t have to put your hand in the cup.

#12451 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I’m in the golf industry and we are getting ready to be crazy busy, I’m going on a road trip now to southern Illinois, not exactly excited to be staying in hotels, but I could be out of a job.

Courses here opened a couple of weeks ago and they have been very busy. People have been adhering to the new guidelines: Walking only (no driving carts), no clubhouse/snack bar/beverage carts, pro shop is selling only balls and tees, no club or pull cart rental, no pulling flag pins, no trap rakes or ball washers.

#12452 3 years ago

There’s one state in America that has a larger elderly population than New York, that is more ethnically diverse than New York, and that has two million more people than New York. Yet its death rate from COVID-19 is 5 percent that of New York. That state is Florida. 

#12453 3 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

There’s one state in America that has a larger elderly population than New York, that is more ethnically diverse than New York, and that has two million more people than New York. Yet its death rate from COVID-19 is 5 percent that of New York. That state is Florida.

I'm not sure what your point is, but it's all just math. NYC got slammed much harder than other areas because it got hit with the virus very early, and because it is such a densely populated area.

#12454 3 years ago

I decided to take some much needed time away from this thread partly because of the new post approval process but more importantly to do some additional research and gather my own thoughts. I have read as much as I could from a variety of sources, talked to three nurses, a respiratory therapist, and a person involved with elective surgeries. I took all of this info, applied my own common sense (I think I have some ) and came to the following conclusions...

The states are absolutely doing the right thing by starting the process of “opening” back up. This has to be done in a timely manner just so we DO NOT OVERLOAD OUR HEALTHCARE SYSTEM. We need to ensure those that get sick are able to be treated without delay. WITH NO GUARANTEE OF A VACCINE OR HIGHLY EFFECTIVE TREATMENTS, we cannot wait for something that may never happen. NOW IS THE TIME TO BEGIN OUR RETURN TO NORMALCY. We need to get people back to work and minimize the economic fallout from this pandemic. Many are suffering financially, emotionally, and mentally and the longer this goes on the more severe the long term consequences.

There is no one size fits all (Federal) solution, so these decisions need to be made on a local, county, and state basis. Those I talked to that I mentioned above all work in Pittsburgh and all said the same thing...there is no reason to continue as we are, it’s time to get back to normal. What will work here in Pittsburgh is not applicable to New York and that general region. There is no reason areas that are fairing very well should have to continue to suffer economically because of a hard hit area such as New York that may be hundreds or even thousands of miles away.

Pittsburgh is one of the nation’s leading cities when it comes to healthcare. UPMC, the largest here in Pittsburgh operating 40 area hospitals, has been ramping up elective surgeries and expects to be back to pre-COVID levels within 4-6 weeks. UPMC is doing this even though it is currently banned by our governor...good for them!

Here is one of the articles covering this for reference...

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/healthcare-business/2020/04/20/UPMC-ramps-up-elective-surgeries-COVID-tom-wolf-nate-wardle-ban-CMS/stories/202004200075

Here is another conclusion I’ve came to. It seems this virus will work its way through all of our communities at some point if it hasn’t already and we will all get exposed to it at some point, there is no stopping it. The longer we practice social distancing and keep things closed the longer we drag this whole thing out. If we knew when a vaccine or “cure” would be available that’s one thing, but we do not know when or if that will ever happen so it is time to move on. And I’ll say it once again, we have to do so responsibly, methodically and relatively quickly just so we DO NOT OVERLOAD OUR HEALTHCARE SYSTEM! I think the effectiveness of the lockdowns and social distancing in many parts of the country has ran its course. The amount of people in my community practicing social distancing has been on the decline. On Easter Sunday I witnessed people coming and going from neighbor’s houses as if there was no pandemic.

One final thought. It is time that people take responsibility for themselves, the government on all levels can’t hold our hands forever. Level of risk associated with all activities has to be assessed on an individual basis. Those that are elderly and at higher risk need to handle this situation much differently than a healthy teenager. Once again, there is not a one size fits all solution.

Sorry that was so long...I had a lot on my mind...thanks to those that hung in there and read the entire post. Everyone continue to be safe and stay healthy!

#12455 3 years ago

It's not just young people acting inappropriately. A friend of mine just told me her 82 year old parents are flying out from Miami because of cabin fever. They heard the airfare was cheap and the planes are mostly empty... He's a brilliant retired CEO of an international company and they are like second parents to me.

#12456 3 years ago

I think he’s just a huge fan of ethnic diversity and the elderly and wanted to point that out.

#12457 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Yes, no touching the flags, no sand rakes or ball washers, there actually will be a raised cup, meaning that if your ball touches the raised cup it counts, so that way you don’t have to put your hand in the cup.

I heard about the raised cups about a month ago. They said there would be a surge in hole in ones because of it. The golfer is supposed to use their best judgment on if the ball would have gone in had the cup not been raised.

#12458 3 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Very Interesting. Very interesting how this gets pulled off YouTube.

Here’s another...unflattering article about these two.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/calmatters.org/health/2020/04/debunking-bakersfield-doctors-covid-spread-conclusions/amp/

A few excerpts:

“ But public health experts were quick to debunk the doctors’ findings as misguided and riddled with statistical errors — and an example of the kind of misleading information they are forced to waste precious time disputing.

The doctors should never have assumed that the patients they tested — who came for walk-in COVID-19 tests or who sought urgent care for symptoms they experienced in the middle of a pandemic — are representative of the general population, said Dr. Carl Bergstrom, a University of Washington biologist who specializes in infectious disease modeling. He likened their extrapolations to “estimating the average height of Americans from the players on an NBA court.” And most credible studies of COVID-19 death rates in reality are far higher than the ones the doctors presented.

“They’ve used methods that are ludicrous to get results that are completely implausible,” Bergstrom said. ”

“ But already the Bakersfield doctors — who tout their support of President Donald Trump and refuse to wear masks in public — had become heroes on social platforms and conservative media outlets, with some commenters calling them “brave.” Others who support continuing to shelter-in-place described the doctors as self-promoters whose chain of urgent care centers would benefit from reopening. Non-COVID medical visits have plummeted during the pandemic, endangering the practices of many doctors.

“As struggling business owners, their economic frustration is understandable. But it can’t be mistaken for science. People trust doctors,” Michigan emergency room doctor Rob Davidson wrote on Twitter. “When they tell Fox viewers to ignore recommendations from real experts, many will believe them…The impact of rejecting science-proven recommendations in exchange for these erroneous ideas would overwhelm health systems and cost lives. While re-opening the economy might be good for their Urgent Care Centers (sic), it would kill medical personnel on the actual front lines.””

#12459 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm not sure what your point is, but it's all just math. NYC got slammed much harder than other areas because it got hit with the virus very early, and because it is such a densely populated area.

If it’s all just math, logistics and density then why is everyone debating different approaches to managing & containing the virus.
If it’s baked in from the start as you suggest, close the thread...

#12460 3 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Mass transit and close proximity.
Globally, these types of cities were hit the hardest. London, New York, etc...

Quoted from Jaybird815:

I only Golf , maybe twice a year now.
I dont get the raised cup? I leave my glove on the whole 18 holes.

#12461 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

meaning that if your ball touches the raised cup it counts

How am I going to prove that all my hole-in-ones actually hit the cup? We're not playing like horeshoes where you need a leaner, are we?

#12462 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I assume they will be allowing one rider per cart, even with a foursome?

That's the way it is around here unless you're family members.

#12463 3 years ago

We are getting a good ole fashioned Blue Angels fly by this am. Gonna head up to the room at noon, the flight plan shows they are flying right overhead. That angle turn right after the 12pm start should be directly above.
blue (resized).jpgblue (resized).jpg

#12464 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Quoted from embryonjohn:

New York City is The Big Apple. Florida is an Orange state. You are trying to mix apples and oranges

#12465 3 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

New York is what the rest of the country could have looked like without the "stay at home order". I am afraid once they open things up the rest of the country still might end up looking like NY.

What people can't seem to understand about this Coronavirus is how it multiplies (or spreads) and how quickly that can happen. Once things were "locked down" in most areas the social distancing saved a good many people. (If you have any doubts look at what has happened in meat packing plants, nursing homes, big cities, and on a couple ships - where it was basically impossible to do the social distancing thing.)

I just found out my aunt who lives in NJ is basically on her death bed in a NJ hospital. She is the first of our family or friends to be hit with Corona but I am sure she will not be the last.

I fully understand how bad this mess is hurting the world economy but I am very concerned about where things are going to be heading shortly when states really start to lift some of the restrictions. I hope I am wrong but from everything I have been reading I know we will be staying home and hopefully safe for a good long time. Not the way I had things planned for this year but my plans are not worth dying for so stay at home it is.

#12466 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Mass transit and close proximity.
Globally, these types of cities were hit the hardest. London, New York, etc...

I only Golf , maybe twice a year now.
I dont get the raised cup? I leave my glove on the whole 18 holes.

The “raised cup” is a circular weight the exact size of a hole that holds the flag and just sits on top of the green your ball touches it, it’s good.

#12468 3 years ago

What a gorgeous day! We saw them make their initial fly by over the Hudson and then coming back from jersey. I think they are just wrapping up the trip down the east river now and toward Philly.

1D54C279-65F7-454A-B606-83143E7D45CA (resized).jpeg1D54C279-65F7-454A-B606-83143E7D45CA (resized).jpeg78A5711F-6728-49A3-BD99-2D359F164590 (resized).jpeg78A5711F-6728-49A3-BD99-2D359F164590 (resized).jpegE0D00376-7BE2-4DF3-A7EE-B4CC6ABBABBD (resized).jpegE0D00376-7BE2-4DF3-A7EE-B4CC6ABBABBD (resized).jpeg
#12469 3 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

If it’s all just math, logistics and density then why is everyone debating different approaches to managing & containing the virus.
If it’s baked in from the start as you suggest, close the thread...

I'm afraid I still don't understand the argument you are trying to make. I was simply responding to your comment about the death rate in Florida being lower than New York despite the larger and older population. My point was that there are obvious reasons why this is the case, such as population density and the time frame of the initial spread. Are you saying that my logic is not sound? If so, please explain where you think I went wrong.

#12470 3 years ago

One of the reasons I quit playing golf was because my friend considered anything within 5 feet as a gimmie and pick up. Sorry, I mean my ex-friend.

#12471 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

One of the reasons I quit playing golf was because my friend considered anything within 5 feet as a gimmie and pick up. Sorry, I mean my ex-friend.

I can relate. I have a friend whose ball always seems to magically move from the rough to the edge of the fairway.

#12472 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

my friend considered anything within 5 feet as a gimmie and pick up. Sorry, I mean my ex-friend.

Yea, everyone knows its 6 feet! DUH

#12473 3 years ago

I don’t feel like going anywhere, doing anything or seeing anybody. It’s nice to not have to feel bad about that for a change.

#12474 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Quoted from gweempose:

I can relate. I have a friend whose ball always seems to magically move from the rough to the edge of the fairway.

Screenshot_20200410-010745~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200410-010745~2 (resized).png
#12475 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's called a Foot Wedge.

#12477 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

New York is what the rest of the country could have looked like without the "stay at home order". I am afraid once they open things up the rest of the country still might end up looking like NY.
What people can't seem to understand about this Coronavirus is how it multiplies (or spreads) and how quickly that can happen. Once things were "locked down" in most areas the social distancing saved a good many people. (If you have any doubts look at what has happened in meat packing plants, nursing homes, big cities, and on a couple ships - where it was basically impossible to do the social distancing thing.)
I just found out my aunt who lives in NJ is basically on her death bed in a NJ hospital. She is the first of our family or friends to be hit with Corona but I am sure she will not be the last.
I fully understand how bad this mess is hurting the world economy but I am very concerned about where things are going to be heading shortly when states really start to lift some of the restrictions. I hope I am wrong but from everything I have been reading I know we will be staying home and hopefully safe for a good long time. Not the way I had things planned for this year but my plans are not worth dying for so stay at home it is.

Sorry for your personal tragedy.

The rest of the country is nothing like NYC. Population density, apartment building living, high rise working and public transit for most citizens. That was the mistake we made, equating the rest of the country to NYC or Lombardi Italy. The majority of the counties in my state are rural, have no deaths, but yet are under the same lockdown orders as the heavily populated counties that have Charlotte and Raleigh. There can not be a blanket wide application of social distancing in a country as diverse as we are. And many are suffering through lost jobs, delayed medical procedures, business closures, depression, suicides, domestic violence, etc. The virus is deadly to those most at risk, but shutting down the country will have equally deadly repercussions.

Each person needs to make personal decisions. I believe you are retired, Skip, so if you have the ability to shelter at home, and that's your choice that's great. Others of us who have lost their business and job, can't do that indefinitely. With life comes risk. We all have to make personal choices and mitigate the risk best we can but also get back to living.

#12479 3 years ago

Practicing safe social distancing and still conducting business as best we can.
Loading up new owners with a Munsters Premium, curb side pick up.

If is the new norm and I'm ok with it. If we can keep the lights on and still take care of our customers with masks
on and practice safe social distancing guidelines I'm ok with opening back up most of America.
I don't think we are ready for shoulder to shoulder concerts or sporting events yet.

corona1 (resized).jpgcorona1 (resized).jpgcorona2 (resized).jpgcorona2 (resized).jpgcorona3 (resized).jpgcorona3 (resized).jpg
#12480 3 years ago

It's hard to even fathom the stress that the people on the front lines are under. Very tragic indeed.

#12481 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

The rest of the country is nothing like NYC. Population density, apartment building living, high rise working and public transit for most citizens. That was the mistake we made, equating the rest of the country to NYC or Lombardi Italy. The majority of the counties in my state are rural, have no deaths, but yet are under the same lockdown orders as the heavily populated counties that have Charlotte and Raleigh.

Are y'all forgetting how this thing went like wildfire through that funeral in Albany, GA?

#12482 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's hard to even fathom the stress that the people on the front lines are under. Very tragic indeed.

Right, and we "general population" get frustrated when our Amazon package is a day late. We know not what stress and frustration really is!

#12483 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's interesting that you can do all that other stuff, but you can't golf. Here, golf is one of the few non-essential businesses that is just starting to open back up. It's pretty easy to social distance on a golf course.

Been to the course every morning!

CAB49FA2-6A03-469E-8672-23ACE316839B (resized).jpegCAB49FA2-6A03-469E-8672-23ACE316839B (resized).jpeg
#12484 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Are y'all forgetting how this thing went like wildfire through that funeral in Albany, GA?

Not at all....but we would be more educated now as far as social distancing. Otherwise, there will always be one person that can be a super spreader under the right conditions. Unless you completely eradicate the virus, then that possibility always exists. You can't shutdown the world until the virus is eradicated.

#12485 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

No golf and no friend?

#12486 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Sorry for your personal tragedy.
The rest of the country is nothing like NYC. Population density, apartment building living, high rise working and public transit for most citizens. That was the mistake we made, equating the rest of the country to NYC or Lombardi Italy. The majority of the counties in my state are rural, have no deaths, but yet are under the same lockdown orders as the heavily populated counties that have Charlotte and Raleigh. There can not be a blanket wide application of social distancing in a country as diverse as we are. And many are suffering through lost jobs, delayed medical procedures, business closures, depression, suicides, domestic violence, etc. The virus is deadly to those most at risk, but shutting down the country will have equally deadly repercussions.
Each person needs to make personal decisions. I believe you are retired, Skip, so if you have the ability to shelter at home, and that's your choice that's great. Others of us who have lost their business and job, can't do that indefinitely. With life comes risk. We all have to make personal choices and mitigate the risk best we can but also get back to living.

You are correct - I am "semi retired" but even if I wasn't I still think we are all "screwed" if we don't do something to slow the spread of this mess down. We have family living in Northeastern PA (a nice rural area that should have been "away" from things getting bad) but thanks to a bunch of people from NYC running out of the city and to their vacation homes in the Poconos that area is one of the hardest hit areas in PA.

All it takes is one or two infected people to spread this thing like a wildfire. I know it is tough to keep businesses closed but I am fearful opening them too soon might cause longer lasting impact then keeping things closed for a few more days or weeks. Regardless of what happens this will have disrupted pretty much everyone's "normal" for a good long time. Hopefully they will figure out some for a treatment that will at least help things some.

#12487 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

You can't shutdown the world until the virus is eradicated.

That’s a strawman argument - nobody is calling for that. Heck, I’d be fine with opening things back up if people would wear masks And stay 6 feet away from me - but they won’t.

#12488 3 years ago

I am standing in line right now at Trader Joe's. Note the guy at the door with the 6 foot pole (used to enforce the advised separation distance inside the door)

20200428_140015_HDR (resized).jpg20200428_140015_HDR (resized).jpg
#12489 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I am standing in line right now at Trader Joe's. Note the guy at the door with the 6 foot pole (used to enforce the advised separation distance inside the door)[quoted image]

He also told everyone updated counts of EXACTLY how many people were inside the store as others came in and out.

Screenshot_20200428-140313~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200428-140313~2 (resized).png
#12490 3 years ago

The US just surpassed the 1Million marker for infected and now a 3rd of the worlds infected. I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

Cases - 1,003,328
Deaths - 5,753

tenor.giftenor.gif
#12491 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Pronounced: All-ban-nee

#12492 3 years ago

I so respect and appreciate all the grocery and food chain workers. I have this amazing neighborhood grocery store 1 block from my house. You email your order, it’s bagged, paid for by phone and waiting for you outside, allowing for good cooking and the occasional treat to continue.
Did I mention they sell booze too?

78C081D8-FE07-4EEB-B5C4-248597F3356C (resized).jpeg78C081D8-FE07-4EEB-B5C4-248597F3356C (resized).jpeg9BBCA650-225E-4846-A13A-674A1B065818 (resized).jpeg9BBCA650-225E-4846-A13A-674A1B065818 (resized).jpeg
#12493 3 years ago

Good this is all common sense stuff we should have seen stores Doing 6 weeks ago but better late than never.

You wanna “open up America?” This is how you do it. Even if a lot of it may seem like theater it’s going to make people more comfortable going out to shop.

#12494 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

That’s a strawman argument - nobody is calling for that. Heck, I’d be fine with opening things back up if people would wear masks And stay 6 feet away from me - but they won’t.

It's not a strawman argument....there are those I've talked to that believe we must keep the stay at home orders in place until a vaccine is developed. I have neighbors like that because, A) they have no kids and B) they are still getting a paycheck from their employers, not to mention stimulus money, paid for healthcare, paid for cell phone and internet for working at home, etc. Its one big vacation to them. So dont discount the selfishness of people's agendas. I readily admit I'm on the side to reopen because my business, my family (addiction and depression), my livelihood are all at stake. It's not about movies and haircuts and I bristle when insensitive people use THAT as a strawman argument.

#12495 3 years ago

Using either extreme to argue a point is generally less effective in my opinion. Yes, there is a small percentage of people that say we should just open everything up and have a party, there’s also a small percentage that says we should stay closed forever.

Neither group represents reality or the opinion of the majority in the middle.

We can open before a vaccine is developed but it needs to be done in a safe and orderly way in order to avoid too much of an increase in infections.

I’m starting to get the feeling some people just want to argue though. If that’s the case have at it.

#12496 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

... there are those I've talked to that believe we must keep the stay at home orders in place until a vaccine is developed.

Well that's just ridiculous! We have already destroyed the economy way beyond what most people even realize. We obviously have to get as many things reopened as soon as we safely can. But it's a balancing act. On the other side of the coin, there are those who want to just open the floodgates and let everyone get back to business as usual. I fear the results of this would be catastrophic. There has to be a happy medium.

Edit: Looks like PantherCityPins pretty much said the exact same thing while I was formulating my post.

#12497 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

It's not a strawman argument....there are those I've talked to that believe we must keep the stay at home orders in place until a vaccine is developed

There are also people that believe the world is flat... Just because there are some that hold those beliefs it doesn't mean we need to embrace them as representative of rational people in the discussion.

The informed parties all recognize that the vaccine objective is not the only metric to hang everything on because of its uncertainty and at the least, the duration needed.

#12498 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There are also people that believe the world is flat... Just because there are some that hold those beliefs it doesn't mean we need to embrace them as representative of rational people in the discussion.
The informed parties all recognize that the vaccine objective is not the only metric to hang everything on because of its uncertainty and at the least, the duration needed.

I feel like that's the elephant in the room that no one's addressing: what if a vaccine is NEVER completed? I mean, it's a real concern.

#12499 3 years ago

I feel like it's a strangely American thing to be arguing over when and how to re-open. Perhaps our "every man for himself" mentality isn't as effective as we have been led to believe.

Seeing RotorDave's posts about New Zealand or even new stories from Europe seems like the primary concern is with loss of life and the toll on medical systems. What sort of economic assurance do they have that we don't?

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 250 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/250 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.