272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 248 of 576.
#12350 3 years ago

I just found this article which addresses exactly what we are discussing ...

https://time.com/5818547/ventilators-coronavirus/

It seems like there is something unique about COVID-19 that causes patients on ventilators to fair worse than patients that are intubated because of other respiratory illnesses.

#12351 3 years ago

One of the few silver linings to all this has been more time spent with family. My wife and I looked through pics with the kids today. Here are a few that cheered me up:

IMG-20200426-WA0000 (resized).jpgIMG-20200426-WA0000 (resized).jpgIMG-20200426-WA0001 (resized).jpgIMG-20200426-WA0001 (resized).jpgIMG-20200426-WA0003 (resized).jpgIMG-20200426-WA0003 (resized).jpg
#12352 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

SARS just...disappeared. Once that happened all work on a vaccine that was no longer needed stopped.
There's a substantial amount of research on a coronavirus vaccine that works on all coronaviruses that's been amassed over the last 10 years or so, but the effort was very underfunded. Suddenly those researchers are the belle of the ball, and the spigots of cash for their research have opened wide. So they're not starting from zero, it's a pretty long trail of research into that class of viruses. But what's the timeline for a generic coronavirus vaccine? No one knows. One specific to the novel coronavirus is where most of the new effort is, and optimistically that's not available until next spring.
There are two likely possibilities. One, it disappears like SARS. I think this is unlikely. Two, there's a second wave in the fall like the Spanish Flu that kills a lot more than the first time around. This seems likely. I just hope they have better treatment by then. At least doctors are leaving their ventilator fetish behind as they see better survival rates overall without them.

Good info, thanks for sharing. I agree about ventilators...I believe I read a statistic that something around 80% of those that go on ventilators dont make it.

#12353 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

One of the few silver linings to all this has been more time spent with family. My wife and I looked through pics with the kids today. Here are a few that cheered me up:[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

They’re well worth any sacrifices you make for them. I’m on the other end now, my son is 22 and my daughter is 20

#12354 3 years ago

Went to the local flea market, about 10% of the vendors...

Fun signs...

20200426_135757 (resized).jpg20200426_135757 (resized).jpg20200426_144441 (resized).jpg20200426_144441 (resized).jpg
#12356 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Good info, thanks for sharing. I agree about ventilators...I believe I read a statistic that something around 80% of those that go on ventilators dont make it.

Pretty sure the number is more like 40% don't make it, but that's still bad...

#12358 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

They’re well worth any sacrifices you make for them. I’m on the other end now, my son is 22 and my daughter is 20

They are 10, 12, and 13 now. I barely remember when they were that young, lol! It goes by in a flash.

#12359 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pretty sure the number is more like 40% don't make it, but that's still bad...

I remember at one time they were saying if you went on a ventilator that you only had a 20% Chance of survival.

#12360 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

So, I'd like to know what you believe the plan for reopening is, as honestly, I'm confused, because to me the goalposts have shifted, and the original need for social distancing and stay at home orders, is no longer being adhered to. If we use the Washington state models, it shows most states have passed their peaks. The idea behind social distancing was to flatten the peak so we didn't over run hospitals. But what seems to not be discussed by government and the media, is that flattening the peak never reduces the number of deaths. The deaths will be the deaths. Flattening only spreads the deaths out over a longer period of time. The area under the mitigated and not mitigated curve is still the same. Until either herd immunity or a vaccine is developed, the deaths don't stop, only slow down....because you will never drive the R0 of the virus below 1.0 without immunity.
With that said, my further concern is that we've had coronaviruses of some form for a long time. SARs, MERs, the common cold. And yet there are no vaccines for any Corona. So why do we believe we will develop one in a timely manner, when we have not for so many decades? As I understand it, the epidemiology for Coronavirus is far different than influenza where we have had some moderate success in vaccines. Now, on the assumption that we ARE able to develop a vaccine, most timelines state a year to 18 months. I hope you aren't suggesting we stay locked down for that long. If not, then when should we begin to reopen? What are the metrics now? I get people are fearful of reopening, but A LOT of families are suffering beyond the virus. From lost businesses to sky rocketing unemployment, depression, suicides, domestic violence, et al, the impact will reach far beyond the death toll from the virus.
I liken the virus to a locomotive train going from A to B. Social distancing is everyone standing in front of the train trying to slow it down. It cannot be stopped without a bomb (Vaccine), so no matter how many stand in front, it's going to reach point B with its cargo intact (deaths). The question becomes, how many are going to be squashed trying to stop it, knowing that we aren't affecting the cargo in the process.
I'm hoping to spark a debate of knowledge, and let's not turn this into anything political. Not a government fan, so don't trust this administration anymore than any previous. My own thought is that in a perfect world, we would have been able to mass test, quarantine/trace those that are positive, insulate those most at risk and let society continue to operate. But here we are, so I want to know how do we get ourselves out of this predicament?

So a couple thoughts.

First you are possibly correct. It may not be possible to come up with a vaccine that really works. Coronaviruses have been difficult to develop vaccines for in the past, this one may be the same.

Second, I disagree that flattening the curve doesn't reduce deaths. It absolutely does. Yes, there is a certain percentage of people that are going to die regardless of what we do. However, there is a significant proportion of people that would survive with appropriate care. If the hospital system is overwhelmed those people don't have access to care and die.

Third, I certainly don't think the lockdown will remain for 18 months. I think you will start to see a phased re-opening in the next 30-45 days in various states. How rapidly those states can get back to some semblance of normal really depends on what their curves do after the various phases of opening. If you start to see a spike you may have to tap the brakes a little. It's going to be state to state.

Lastly, I think everyone in the country understands that shutting down the economy was a drastic measure and there are certainly going to be repercussions. I really wish there was a way to have people travel to an alternate reality where we didn't shut down so they could see what would have happened. Can we be 100% certain that it would have been a public health disaster? No, but I'd say the chances are north of 98% that you would have seen hundreds of thousands of dead Americans in a 2-3 month period without any mitigation measures. As there's no way to take Rick and Morty's interdimensional portal to see that alternate reality, we have to just trust in the numbers and the behavior of similar pandemics in the past.

#12361 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I remember at one time they were saying if you went on a ventilator that you only had a 20% Chance of survival.

I never saw anyone say it was that low on the news I read or saw. 60% survival (40% mortality) is the lowest I saw, but even that is pretty damned bad. I'm glad doctors are banging out alternative treatment therapies with better survival rates.

#12362 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

So, I'd like to know what you believe the plan for reopening is, as honestly, I'm confused, because to me the goalposts have shifted, and the original need for social distancing and stay at home orders, is no longer being adhered to. If we use the Washington state models, it shows most states have passed their peaks. The idea behind social distancing was to flatten the peak so we didn't over run hospitals. But what seems to not be discussed by government and the media, is that flattening the peak never reduces the number of deaths. The deaths will be the deaths. Flattening only spreads the deaths out over a longer period of time. The area under the mitigated and not mitigated curve is still the same. Until either herd immunity or a vaccine is developed, the deaths don't stop, only slow down....because you will never drive the R0 of the virus below 1.0 without immunity.
With that said, my further concern is that we've had coronaviruses of some form for a long time. SARs, MERs, the common cold. And yet there are no vaccines for any Corona. So why do we believe we will develop one in a timely manner, when we have not for so many decades? As I understand it, the epidemiology for Coronavirus is far different than influenza where we have had some moderate success in vaccines. Now, on the assumption that we ARE able to develop a vaccine, most timelines state a year to 18 months. I hope you aren't suggesting we stay locked down for that long. If not, then when should we begin to reopen? What are the metrics now? I get people are fearful of reopening, but A LOT of families are suffering beyond the virus. From lost businesses to sky rocketing unemployment, depression, suicides, domestic violence, et al, the impact will reach far beyond the death toll from the virus.
I liken the virus to a locomotive train going from A to B. Social distancing is everyone standing in front of the train trying to slow it down. It cannot be stopped without a bomb (Vaccine), so no matter how many stand in front, it's going to reach point B with its cargo intact (deaths). The question becomes, how many are going to be squashed trying to stop it, knowing that we aren't affecting the cargo in the process.
I'm hoping to spark a debate of knowledge, and let's not turn this into anything political. Not a government fan, so don't trust this administration anymore than any previous. My own thought is that in a perfect world, we would have been able to mass test, quarantine/trace those that are positive, insulate those most at risk and let society continue to operate. But here we are, so I want to know how do we get ourselves out of this predicament?

Very Well Said

#12363 3 years ago

Even if there will never be a vaccine, if you contract this later in the curve, you may benefit from better treatment options.

So many studies happening right now on various drugs, vaccines, and treatments, the longer you go without infection, the more likely you will have the best available treatment if you do get sick.

#12364 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

...There are two likely possibilities. One, it disappears like SARS. I think this is unlikely. Two, there's a second wave in the fall like the Spanish Flu that kills a lot more than the first time around. This seems likely. I just hope they have better treatment by then. At least doctors are leaving their ventilator fetish behind as they see better survival rates overall without them.

I keep hearing that it's "more likely than not that there will be a "wave" of sickness worst than the first with this virus"... since this virus is obviously unique to other viruses since we've been tracking them in the early 1900s, what scientific evidence is out there that backs up this claim? Not refuting it necessarily but I just haven't been privy to the science behind the claim.

#12365 3 years ago

A local mainstay event just cancelled for the first time since it’s debut. It’s in September. I think it’s safe to say everything is cancelled this year.

#12366 3 years ago
A5CE9566-6A32-423B-BB23-FE391E81C6B0 (resized).jpegA5CE9566-6A32-423B-BB23-FE391E81C6B0 (resized).jpeg
#12367 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

I keep hearing that it's "more likely than not that there will be a "wave" of sickness worst than the first with this virus"... what scientific evidence is out there that backs up this claim?

I think that’s up to us. The theory is that we’ll get bored or complacent and go back to our old ways of doing things, and new infections will go way up. But yeah nah, that would never happen.

#12368 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

[quoted image]

This is what I needed today, thank you.

#12369 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

[quoted image]

The people of Wal-Mart.....

#12370 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Few pages back someone asked me for a Disney update. Watching a little news last night the press is catching wind of what Ive known for a month.
Open by next spring at best. One local station thru out Jan 1, just dumb, Christmas week is a huge money maker at the parks with Big New Years Celebrations.
We have talked behind scenes of how long to decorate for xmas. Would take the crews about 2 weeks, normally 3. But working days with closed parks would speed that up. Not working long nights in the cold will be better but no overtime.
Both parks in Ca and Florida have massive stopped projects right now. Unfinished Avengers land at Disneyland. And Disneyworld has so many unfinshed projects its to many to list.
There is not one person working on these projects as we speak. No construction happening. Some concrete poor in Florida is all out side of parks.
I see sports starting before Disney opens.
Dont buy DIS stock this week.

Since you’re talking Disney. This popped up on a Google news feed. Thoughts?

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2020/04/26/3-reasons-disney-world-will-open-this-summer.aspx

#12371 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200427-002317~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200427-002317~2 (resized).png
#12372 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

I keep hearing that it's "more likely than not that there will be a "wave" of sickness worst than the first with this virus"... since this virus is obviously unique to other viruses since we've been tracking them in the early 1900s, what scientific evidence is out there that backs up this claim? Not refuting it necessarily but I just haven't been privy to the science behind the claim.

This covers a lot of the factors that lead many scientists to that conclusion about another wave of COVID-19 outbreaks in the fall/winter:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we-will-not-have-a-vaccine-by-next-winter-what-happens-when-coronavirus-returns-2020-04-22

#12373 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This covers a lot of the factors that lead many scientists to that conclusion about another wave of COVID-19 outbreaks in the fall/winter:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we-will-not-have-a-vaccine-by-next-winter-what-happens-when-coronavirus-returns-2020-04-22

Some interesting points in that article.

This doesn't sound good:

Coronavirus immunity differs from other diseases. Immunizations against smallpox, measles or Hepatitis B should last a lifetime, Poland said. Coronaviruses, first discovered in the 1960s, interact with our immune system in unique and different ways, he added.

How do other coronaviruses compare to SARS-CoV-2? People infected by SARS-CoV, an outbreak that centered in southern China and Hong Kong from 2002 to 2004, had immunity for roughly two years; studies suggest the antibodies disappear six years after the infection.

For MERS-CoV, a coronavirus that has caused hundreds of cases in the Middle East, people retain immunity for approximately 18 months — although the long-term response to being exposed to the virus again may depend on the severity of the original infection.

Herd immunity:

“There’s no chance that immunity is going to be high enough to reach herd immunity,” Poland said. “With influenza, you need herd immunity of 60% to 70%. With measles, you need about 95%. With COVID-19, it’s somewhere in the middle.”

In the absence of a vaccine, Poland said several conditions are necessary for herd immunity to work: a very high level of population immunity, for that immunity to be durable, and for the virus to not mutate. “None of those seem to be operational at present,” he said.

In addition to the level of herd immunity (or lack thereof) to protect those who are most vulnerable, people will have to be cognizant of the disease spreading through asymptomatic carriers — that is, people who are infected but show no signs that they’re ill.

Second wave:

And the second wave of SARS-CoV-2? “It will likely hit harder in areas not severely impacted the first time in the interior of the U.S., where there’s a lot more susceptible people,” Kullar said. “COVID-19’s sweet spot could be October to May, with it peaking, likely, in October and November.”

#12374 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

[quoted image]

Great picture . It's funny I live in Melbourne and watch Nine News , yet it takes someone in the US to post it on a Pinball website for me to see it . What a world .

The run of good movies on free-to-air has ended so I'm going to check out Chris Hemsworth's new film on Netflix

IMG20200427204324 (resized).jpgIMG20200427204324 (resized).jpg
#12375 3 years ago

They are trying Famotidine, active ingredient in Pepcid as a potential. Very interesting...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/health/famotidine-coronavirus-northwell-trial/index.html

#12376 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

So a couple thoughts.
First you are possibly correct. It may not be possible to come up with a vaccine that really works. Coronaviruses have been difficult to develop vaccines for in the past, this one may be the same.
Second, I disagree that flattening the curve doesn't reduce deaths. It absolutely does. Yes, there is a certain percentage of people that are going to die regardless of what we do. However, there is a significant proportion of people that would survive with appropriate care. If the hospital system is overwhelmed those people don't have access to care and die.
Third, I certainly don't think the lockdown will remain for 18 months. I think you will start to see a phased re-opening in the next 30-45 days in various states. How rapidly those states can get back to some semblance of normal really depends on what their curves do after the various phases of opening. If you start to see a spike you may have to tap the brakes a little. It's going to be state to state.
Lastly, I think everyone in the country understands that shutting down the economy was a drastic measure and there are certainly going to be repercussions. I really wish there was a way to have people travel to an alternate reality where we didn't shut down so they could see what would have happened. Can we be 100% certain that it would have been a public health disaster? No, but I'd say the chances are north of 98% that you would have seen hundreds of thousands of dead Americans in a 2-3 month period without any mitigation measures. As there's no way to take Rick and Morty's interdimensional portal to see that alternate reality, we have to just trust in the numbers and the behavior of similar pandemics in the past.

Thanks for the lengthy and informative response. A couple of thoughts...

I can agree that not over running hospitals was a good thing, and have saved lives by having available facilities available. But, devils advocate, two points. Hospitals, with the exception of NYC, have been far from over run. In fact many have furloughed nurses and doctors for lack of patients. So if that's the goal, why haven't those areas been reopened. Secondly have hospitals really been successful in treating patients with Covid. The recent study from NY that showed that 88% of those that were put on ventilators never came off. Other than a few spotty stories of various antiviral drugs having some limited success, I'm not sure that we are being successful with hospitalizations. I know the alternative of staying at home may not be viable either, but unfortunately there seems to have been no successful treatments. So have we really done anything by keeping the hospitals empty? I dont know, but asking your opinion as you seem to be well versed in the medical arena.

As for the hundreds of thousands dead Americans, perhaps. But I fear we are going to have that anyway. We are already approaching 60k, which the models had us out to August. We will be at 100k by August unless the curve takes a drastic change soon. And with the prediction that the fall will be worse, we will be at several hundred thousand potentially.

I realize noone has the answers, and it is all speculation and what ifs. I just feel like the current wait and see policy at the expense of inducing a Depression, is not the ideal solution.

#12377 3 years ago

The U.S. health care challenge

All of these bailouts to aviation, the stimulus checks we are getting, etc. pass the test that makes me think it is all Socialism. But I don't hear of any laid off capitalists bitching about getting a $1200.00 gimme check in the mail. I am amazed at how fast "keep your hands off my jack" has turned into" all for one and one for all. "

But the U.S. healthcare system ain't feeling the love.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/perspectives/medicaid-health-care-coronavirus/index.html

"It's also essential that Medicaid explicitly covers treatment and vaccines for COVID-19 with no cost-sharing for patients. I fought for this common sense policy as part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act that cleared Congress last month, but it was not included. A vaccine coverage guarantee was included for Medicare beneficiaries in that act, and there is no reason why those who count on Medicaid should be excluded from such explicit protections.

" People who have Medicaid shouldn't have to fight endless paperwork battles to keep their coverage. Frontline health care providers shouldn't be threatened with massive cuts while workers are asked to risk their lives every day. These efforts need to end immediately.

#12378 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

But, devils advocate, two points. Hospitals, with the exception of NYC, have been far from over run. In fact many have furloughed nurses and doctors for lack of patients. So if that's the goal, why haven't those areas been reopened

This trope is so tired...

1) The hospitals adapted a ton of capacity to be stay ahead of the demand. The 'demand didn't materialize because the hospitals aren't overflowing' spin ignores the fact CHANGES WERE MADE to stay ahead of demand.. and in the hard hit areas it still was only barely enough.
2) The 'only NYC' point is outright false. The 'slice of truth' is yes, not all spots are hit as hard as the areas like NYC.. and the vast majority (by numbers) are not overwhelmed because the vast majority of the country doesn't have the same scale of outbreak. But where they do.. like Detroit and others... they too were overwhelmed
3) The oft cited "then why are they laying people off" is simple misuse of information. Medical Systems do a wide range of things. Simply because one category is busy, does not mean all categories are busy. The resources used for one type of patient treatment are not universally interchangable with other needs. Your physical therapist isn't going to be a lot of help treating COVID patients. Now apply that idea to EVERYTHING Medical Networks handle... and you can see why shutting down non-essential activities means that yes.. even Hospitals are impacted and need to reduce staffing/services.

#12380 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

1) The hospitals adapted a ton of capacity to be stay ahead of the demand. The 'demand didn't materialize because the hospitals aren't overflowing' spin ignores the fact CHANGES WERE MADE to stay ahead of demand.. and in the hard hit areas it still was only barely enough.
2) The 'only NYC' point is outright false. The 'slice of truth' is yes, not all spots are hit as hard as the areas like NYC.. and the vast majority (by numbers) are not overwhelmed because the vast majority of the country doesn't have the same scale of outbreak. But where they do.. like Detroit and others... they too were overwhelmed
3) The oft cited "then why are they laying people off" is simple misuse of information. Medical Systems do a wide range of things. Simply because one category is busy, does not mean all categories are busy. The resources used for one type of patient treatment are not universally interchangable with other needs. Your physical therapist isn't going to be a lot of help treating COVID patients. Now apply that idea to EVERYTHING Medical Networks handle... and you can see why shutting down non-essential activities means that yes.. even Hospitals are impacted and need to reduce staffing/services.

Did you forget the part where hospitals were barred from doing elective surgeries in order to be ready for Covid-19. Elective surgeries are hospital bread and butter. The hospital profit machine. So, the hospitals have been shut down like all the other businesses. No revenue.

#12381 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The facts show that mitigation strategies DO work to save lives in the long run, not just the short run. Going back to normal loads more coal into your locomotive and makes it go faster. Bigger impact at higher speed = many more deaths.

Explain Tokyo then please

https://www.wsj.com/articles/japans-coronavirus-cases-fall-sharply-without-compulsory-measures-11587993871

#12382 3 years ago

This thread gets so repetitive because it seems new arrivals to this thread are too lazy or unwilling to read back a bit.

If you want intelligent conversation. Do yourself and us a favor and familiarize yourself with the earlier posts and the posters here before you post.

Pinball_Gizzard is an MD

You are not.

Now I am going to break all of the rules and go pickup a new machine

thanks

#12383 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Just be aware, the antibody tests are not perfect. It takes about 6-10 days to form IgG antibodies from the time of infection and the presence of antibodies does not necessarily confer immunity. We are already seeing some significant differences patient to patient with how good the antibodies are at neutralizing the actual virus.
In short, even if you have antibodies it doesn’t mean you are for sure protected. Just FYI.

I'll debate here that it's still too soon to make a conclusion about this. While I don't disagree with you that this is bound to be a different equation for each and every human body, I still believe we just don't know enough about this situation to draw conclusions yet.

Keep in mind early on folks were using vents like this was any other illness that required early intervention. That wasn't leading to very good outcomes due to the severe O2 exchange deficiency in the ARDS condition that COVID-19 causes. Now it appears that high-O2 feeds were found to do a better job early on, at least until life-saving measures are required due to the patient coding.

More data is needed all around. More time. Unfortunately, time is not our ally at this point. Especially with folks clamoring to get out after being told to stay home for several weeks now. They're getting antsy. I can already see it in my community, especially since the weather is getting nicer up here.

I'm in a pretty rural community in Western Wisconsin, and we still only have 4 documented cases so far, with no new cases reported in more than 2 weeks. I work in the county south of where I live, and the cases there are still at 13 total cases, but we are 40 minutes away from Minneapolis / St Paul, where it's pretty dense. Lots of commuters live here, and work there.

I'm just hoping that contact tracing and diligent testing will hold things at bay here to keep things slow. We'll see infections here, no doubt. I just want them to go slowly.

#12384 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Even if there will never be a vaccine, if you contract this later in the curve, you may benefit from better treatment options.
So many studies happening right now on various drugs, vaccines, and treatments, the longer you go without infection, the more likely you will have the best available treatment if you do get sick.

My thinking exactly. We are trying to buy time to find some effective treatment options and effective vaccine in the longer term.

#12385 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Did you forget the part where hospitals were barred from doing elective surgeries in order to be ready for Covid-19. Elective surgeries are hospital bread and butter. The hospital profit machine. So, the hospitals have been shut down like all the other businesses. No revenue.

No, I just didn't list it explicitly. Simply lumping all that together under the stuff 'that isn't COVID 19 treatment'. The PT example is used to make it obvious... because if you use something like surgeries people get wound up arguing that those doctors should be treating COVID patients. Not really grasping the whole concept of specialties. It's much easier to use an example they can't munge

It's not even worth getting into the financial discussion with them... they think hospitals just shit money. Not being bothered to understand how some areas are very costly, and are offset by other areas that are more profitable. And this whole elective-shutdown has nuked the more profitable portion while the 'very costly' portion runs wild.

But they'd rather just focus on 'see, I saw there was a layoff... so they can't be busy...'

#detailsMatter

#12386 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

They are trying Famotidine, active ingredient in Pepcid as a potential. Very interesting...
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/health/famotidine-coronavirus-northwell-trial/index.html

I take famotidine twice a day now for acid reflux since ranitidine (Zantac) got pulled. This article doesn't do a very good job of explaining why theoretically famotidine could be helpful, though.

H2 blockers like famotidine block the histamine 2 receptors which can help with acid reflux. Histamine activation is part of a bodies immune response and H1 blockers like fexofenadine are used for allergies as well.

Is the theory that histamine overreaction to the virus contributes to the inflammation in the lungs and cytokine storm currently theorized may be occurring in some Covid patients being hospitalized with severe lung and breathing problems?

Theoretically, if there turns out to be some benefit to drugs like these, the other 2-3 available otc would likely have some benefit as well. Sounds like a run on H2 blockers and meat is the next thing...

#12387 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Frankly, I'm a little tired of hearing about potential cures. Let me know when there's a study saying something has actually been proven effective.

#12388 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I appreciate the information. Not sure why you had to lead with an insult, but nonetheless, thanks. But to your point, if hospitals geared up, and are now generally not seeing patients, Covid or otherwise, why not open back up to elective surgeries?

#12389 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

This thread gets so repetitive because it seems new arrivals to this thread are too lazy or unwilling to read back a bit.
If you want intelligent conversation. Do yourself and us a favor and familiarize yourself with the earlier posts and the posters here before you post.
Pinball_Gizzard is an MD
You are not.
Now I am going to break all of the rules and go pickup a new machine
thanks

I'm aware that Grizzard is an MD....but your Appeal to Authority fallacy doesnt fly. And I'm sorry I dont monitor this thread 24/7, but are you really complaining as a member of a forum that routinely asks the same which machine is better?

#12390 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Frankly, I'm a little tired of hearing about potential cures. Let me know when there's a study saying something has actually been proven effective.

I imagine they have to start somewhere and build from there.....
I know it's shooting blanks for now and I'm confident that something will be produced.

#12391 3 years ago

In Chicago, they turned our convention center into a 3,000 bed care center for COVID-19 patients. To my knowledge, none have been used yet. Some may see that as a huge waste of resources, but I see it as the overwhelming success of the stay at home order. That's the thing about social distancing. People look at the number of infected people after the fact and jump to the false conclusion that the lock down was an overreaction. The reality is that the numbers would have been exponentially worse if the extreme social distancing measures weren't implemented.

#12392 3 years ago

My wife has MS

Her Rx caused us to isolate 6 weeks ago

Now docs are using several MS meds to treat COVID-19 since both trigger cytokine storms. So the risk in some cases is the reward. Fine line inbetween I'm sure.

What a rollercoaster it's been. I will be returning to work on the 1st & taking every precaution I can.

I forget what it's like to talk to people, wear shoes, work, etc. Wish me luck!

My mother was admitted yesterday for pneumonia. So that's super shitty. Wish her luck too.

#12393 3 years ago

Well for starters, look at the picture in the article. Everyone without exception is wearing a mask. Also, the Japanese actually revere their elderly, so I’d imagine social disapproval is enough to keep people social-distancing. Lastly, one counter-example doesn’t prove that social distancing doesn’t work (even if that were the case).

#12394 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Thanks for the lengthy and informative response. A couple of thoughts...
I can agree that not over running hospitals was a good thing, and have saved lives by having available facilities available. But, devils advocate, two points. Hospitals, with the exception of NYC, have been far from over run. In fact many have furloughed nurses and doctors for lack of patients. So if that's the goal, why haven't those areas been reopened. Secondly have hospitals really been successful in treating patients with Covid. The recent study from NY that showed that 88% of those that were put on ventilators never came off. Other than a few spotty stories of various antiviral drugs having some limited success, I'm not sure that we are being successful with hospitalizations. I know the alternative of staying at home may not be viable either, but unfortunately there seems to have been no successful treatments. So have we really done anything by keeping the hospitals empty? I dont know, but asking your opinion as you seem to be well versed in the medical arena.
As for the hundreds of thousands dead Americans, perhaps. But I fear we are going to have that anyway. We are already approaching 60k, which the models had us out to August. We will be at 100k by August unless the curve takes a drastic change soon. And with the prediction that the fall will be worse, we will be at several hundred thousand potentially.
I realize noone has the answers, and it is all speculation and what ifs. I just feel like the current wait and see policy at the expense of inducing a Depression, is not the ideal solution.

It is easy to be a Monday morning quarterback but when dealing with unknowns the best anyone can do is to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. I think a lot of mistakes have been made but if some of these decisions were not made who knows how much worse it could have been or still could be.

When looking at death tolls the people saying "it is only 60,000 people who have died so far it isn't all that bad" most likely have not lost a parent, spouse, child or good friend yet. On the flip side is what was done to our economy or the world economy "worth it" to save a few people - who knows? I guess the answer to these questions basically comes down to what impact this had had on you.

Bottom line is this who thing "sucks" and it likely isn't going to end anytime soon. So I think all any of us can do is make the best of a very bad situation and do what we can to help the people hit the hardest by this. History shows us at some point it will be over - for now all we can do is the best we can do.

#12395 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

But to your point, if hospitals geared up, and are now generally not seeing patients, Covid or otherwise

Not sure how you got 'not seeing patients, Covid or otherwise' from that. You need to stop thinking of hospitals and medical systems as some singular thing. One side can be very busy, another side is empty. That was the point. Being busy treating Covid is not enough to support the entire business model the medical provider is built upon. That's why you see layoffs and changes.

Just like a restaurant doing carry-out isn't enough to support their previous business model... so people like waitstaff and bussers were being laid off.

Quoted from robertmee:

why not open back up to elective surgeries?

For the same reasons they stopped elective procedures in the first place.

High risk population, high contact places, non-essential services, and it was competing with things needed for essential care like PPE supplies.

#12396 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Not sure how you got 'not seeing patients, Covid or otherwise' from that. You need to stop thinking of hospitals and medical systems as some singular thing. One side can be very busy, another side is empty. That was the point. Being busy treating Covid is not enough to support the entire business model the medical provider is built upon. That's why you see layoffs and changes.
Just like a restaurant doing carry-out isn't enough to support their previous business model... so people like waitstaff and bussers were being laid off.

For the same reasons they stopped elective procedures in the first place.
High risk population, high contact places, non-essential services, and it was competing with things needed for essential care like PPE supplies.

I'm just going by what others in the healthcare industry are saying. I readily admit, I'm not a hospital administrator, nor pretend to be. I can understand your point about hospitals having vast specialties, but is that really the case with more rural hospitals?

https://www.newsweek.com/most-us-hospitals-are-empty-soon-they-might-closed-good-opinion-1500028

#12398 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I take famotidine twice a day now for acid reflux since ranitidine (Zantac) got pulled. This article doesn't do a very good job of explaining why theoretically famotidine could be helpful, though.
H2 blockers like famotidine block the histamine 2 receptors which can help with acid reflux. Histamine activation is part of a bodies immune response and H1 blockers like fexofenadine are used for allergies as well.
Is the theory that histamine overreaction to the virus contributes to the inflammation in the lungs and cytokine storm currently theorized may be occurring in some Covid patients being hospitalized with severe lung and breathing problems?
Theoretically, if there turns out to be some benefit to drugs like these, the other 2-3 available otc would likely have some benefit as well. Sounds like a run on H2 blockers and meat is the next thing...

This is all very new info so take it with a grain of salt. The famotidine question was raised based on an observation that patients in Asia who were on famotidine for reflux seemed to have a little better outcome. The theory is that perhaps famotidine interferes with the viral replication machinery in some way. The doses used are very high and it is given IV.

Very experimental and lots more data needs to be seen.

#12399 3 years ago

To robertmee, I suspect hospitals and clinics will start opening up more to elective procedures and visits in the coming weeks. The main thing that may keep hospitals from being able to open to elective procedures is PPE burn. With the increased use of PPE for all patients, elective patients included, you have to make sure the elective procedures don’t burn through your available PPE and put staff at risk if they have to treat COVID patients.

People need to understand that specific policy decisions were made to increase the capacity for COVID patients early on. In many areas the mitigation measures were effective and so the created capacity was not all needed. That’s a good thing. It is NOT proof that the mitigation measures weren’t needed or that the whole thing is a hoax. Let’s just stop that nonsense now.

The system was prepared for a disaster that could easily have occurred and almost certainly would have occurred without mitigation. At the time there was no way to know how compliant Americans would be with mitigation and whether we even had enough time to make a dent in transmission before a critical mass of patients was produced. New York is an example of an area where the infection rate was too high for mitigation measures to keep a mass of patients from needing hospital care. We likely would have been looking at the same scenario in every major US city without mitigation.

Now then, hospitals usually operate on a very tight budget and thin margins. A major source of income for hospitals are elective surgeries and procedures. When those procedures go away, the hospital loses money. So, you are now seeing some people being laid off due to budget constraints related to income loss at the hospital. The money provided by the government doesn’t even come close to covering the shortfall.

Once hospitals begin to see the elective patients again you will see their revenues rise and those people laid off will find jobs.

Everyone had to make sacrifices here, medical personnel and hospitals included.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 248 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/248?hl=fymf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.