272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 247 of 576.
#12300 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'd agree with all of those except Al Jazeera, which has its own agenda. You'll never see an expose of Saudi misdeeds on AJ, they just aren't interested in factual reality there and are in some cases complicit in covering it up. Also, their western coverage (Europe/US) often has a subtle to not-so subtle agenda. Not nearly as bad as RT or Sputnik, but it's there. BBC also has started to let propaganda creep into their coverage, most recently with Huawei coverage.
But anyway, PBS, NPR, CBC for sure. I usually recommend PBS Newshour first because no one can come up with a reason why they're "libs" or "trump-lovers" - because in general, they're the switzerland of news, the way news used to be everywhere.

Strong agree with Al Jazeera but sadly, PBS cannot still be considered due to several recent changes, most notably the hiring of Alcindor. PBS needs to appeal to all spectrums due to fundraising but somethings changed. Maybe they feared the amount of Koch brother donations had compromised their reputation. Or maybe the Koch people are pulling strings left for some reason. If people in charge are left leaning, they assume they are unbiased by only being moderately left leaning.
CNBC news updates seem surprisingly unbiased. My order for nightly news left to center- ABC, PBS, CBS, NBC.

#12301 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ok now im really confused and dont know what the hell to believe. Why do i feel like there is something fishy going on?

It's fishy indeed. I notice a few things from your video:

1) Birx is happy about how things went and decissions were taken since she's involved. That's positive.
2) Even though she defends her boss very well, she confirms that he's a person that can't handle information normally, for when 'just heard information' he starts thinking aloud some very crazy ideas.
3) Fox confirms her comments on the media: Dr. Birx sais often the truth is somewhere in an article, but the headlines are written in a way that may suggests otherwise and people sometimes only read the headlines and certainly not the full article. Fox text that goes with that statement: "Birx: The media isn 't always fair".

#12302 4 years ago

In the Netherlands I think I see people getting more careless. I hope we won't see a second surge here. On one hand we're way more carefull than when the virus first arrived, but more people are going outside and I think I see people keeping less distance in stores (hard to say, it can just be a coïncidence which people you meet, but I'm fairly sure it's a pattern we're seeing). Let's hope the social distancing is still at a level where things don't get any (/much) worse.

Schools will be opening on May 11 for smaller children (till the age of 12). High schools will follow at June first. We're not sure in what form. Probably it'll be something like half the children one half of the week and the other half the rest of the time.

Being a teacher myself at a high school, I wonder what it will be like. I hope it is true that children are hardly contagious, for I really don't think we can seperate them 6 feet apart all the time, including during breaks and after the schoolday is over.

It'll be interesting to see how other countries that have already opened some schools do.

#12303 4 years ago
A234AFCC-ED59-4B5F-8C9B-C14E94DF2BFA (resized).pngA234AFCC-ED59-4B5F-8C9B-C14E94DF2BFA (resized).png
#12304 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

The earliest looks to be JNJ’s candidate. They’re producing it at risk and hope to have data by April and if it’s positive they’ll have large quantities available by April 2021.
https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-announces-a-lead-vaccine-candidate-for-covid-19-landmark-new-partnership-with-u-s-department-of-health-human-services-and-commitment-to-supply-one-billion-vaccines-worldwide-for-emergency-pandemic-use

Moderna started trials before JNJ. Different technology, rna vaccine so maybe efficacy and safety data will take longer?

I just have a feeling they'll have some data on several of these vaccines by mid to late fall and healthcare workers and/or those willing to take a bit of a risk could get it earlier. I hope so. April 2021 is a long ways off.

#12305 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Oh, yeah sorry. Typo there. I'll fix it in the original post.

So, I'd like to know what you believe the plan for reopening is, as honestly, I'm confused, because to me the goalposts have shifted, and the original need for social distancing and stay at home orders, is no longer being adhered to. If we use the Washington state models, it shows most states have passed their peaks. The idea behind social distancing was to flatten the peak so we didn't over run hospitals. But what seems to not be discussed by government and the media, is that flattening the peak never reduces the number of deaths. The deaths will be the deaths. Flattening only spreads the deaths out over a longer period of time. The area under the mitigated and not mitigated curve is still the same. Until either herd immunity or a vaccine is developed, the deaths don't stop, only slow down....because you will never drive the R0 of the virus below 1.0 without immunity.

With that said, my further concern is that we've had coronaviruses of some form for a long time. SARs, MERs, the common cold. And yet there are no vaccines for any Corona. So why do we believe we will develop one in a timely manner, when we have not for so many decades? As I understand it, the epidemiology for Coronavirus is far different than influenza where we have had some moderate success in vaccines. Now, on the assumption that we ARE able to develop a vaccine, most timelines state a year to 18 months. I hope you aren't suggesting we stay locked down for that long. If not, then when should we begin to reopen? What are the metrics now? I get people are fearful of reopening, but A LOT of families are suffering beyond the virus. From lost businesses to sky rocketing unemployment, depression, suicides, domestic violence, et al, the impact will reach far beyond the death toll from the virus.

I liken the virus to a locomotive train going from A to B. Social distancing is everyone standing in front of the train trying to slow it down. It cannot be stopped without a bomb (Vaccine), so no matter how many stand in front, it's going to reach point B with its cargo intact (deaths). The question becomes, how many are going to be squashed trying to stop it, knowing that we aren't affecting the cargo in the process.

I'm hoping to spark a debate of knowledge, and let's not turn this into anything political. Not a government fan, so don't trust this administration anymore than any previous. My own thought is that in a perfect world, we would have been able to mass test, quarantine/trace those that are positive, insulate those most at risk and let society continue to operate. But here we are, so I want to know how do we get ourselves out of this predicament?

#12306 4 years ago

Oh yeah, THAT’s a reliable news source. Eye roll.

#12307 4 years ago

It could be a few more months before we will be able to buy Lysol again:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/household-cleaning-products-lysol-clorox-193305515.html

#12308 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Moderna started trials before JNJ. Different technology, rna vaccine so maybe efficacy and safety data will take longer?
I just have a feeling they'll have some data on several of these vaccines by mid to late fall and healthcare workers and/or those willing to take a bit of a risk could get it earlier. I hope so. April 2021 is a long ways off.

Moderna started earlier, but I haven’t seen anything around production. The benefit of JNJ’s is that if data comes back positive, there should be enough doses by April 2021 to vaccinate a large portion of the global population.

#12309 4 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Almost as reliable as our state sponsored and run CBC up here. Our leader gives them over 660 million a year to report what he says and pump his narrative. Very little content and voices from the other side. Absolutely deplorable.

#12310 3 years ago

Grim milestone time: 55,000 dead here.

So that’s as many US deaths in 2 months as we had in 16 years in Vietnam.

#12311 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I liken the virus to a locomotive train going from A to B. Social distancing is everyone standing in front of the train trying to slow it down. It cannot be stopped without a bomb (Vaccine), so no matter how many stand in front, it's going to reach point B with its cargo intact (deaths). The question becomes, how many are going to be squashed trying to stop it, knowing that we aren't affecting the cargo in the process.?

The facts show that mitigation strategies DO work to save lives in the long run, not just the short run. Going back to normal loads more coal into your locomotive and makes it go faster. Bigger impact at higher speed = many more deaths.

#12312 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It could be a few more months before we will be able to buy Lysol again:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/household-cleaning-products-lysol-clorox-193305515.html

Plenty of safety products out there.
Bleach is good one. Old empty spray bottles use a 50/50 bleach water solution. Spray wipe everything that comes in house. Use regularly on counters, door handles, mail, you name it.
I was worried when wife started this a month ago all our clothes and stuff would get fading white spots. But no household damage to report.
Shes just not allowed to get the shit near any of the pinballs.

#12313 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Plenty of safety products out there.
Bleach is good one. Old empty spray bottles use a 50/50 bleach water solution. Spray wipe everything that comes in house. Use regularly on counters, door handles, mail, you name it.
I was worried when wife started this a month ago all our clothes and stuff would get fading white spots. But no household damage to report.
Shes just not allowed to get the shit near any of the pinballs.

Is bleach available in the stores? I was under the impression it was sold out as well.

#12314 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The facts show that mitigation strategies DO work to save lives in the long run, not just the short run. Going back to normal loads more coal into your locomotive and makes it go faster. Bigger impact at higher speed = many more deaths.

Could you please point me to a study or data that shows this? Not arguing or disbelieving, but would like to learn. We can't point to the current measures, because there is no causation that A produced B. Good analogy on the coal And I'll pose the same question to you... when can we add more coal, because without a vaccine or immunity, the fire is always simmering.

#12315 3 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Moderna started earlier, but I haven’t seen anything around production. The benefit of JNJ’s is that if data comes back positive, there should be enough doses by April 2021 to vaccinate a large portion of the global population.

JNJ is waiting until September to start trials? Why?

There are other candidates outside of JNJ's already starting trials. If they show promise, there will be cooperation domestically & globally to help ramp up production capabilities.

#12316 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

JNJ is waiting until September to start trials? Why?
There are other candidates outside of JNJ's already starting trials. If they show promise, there will be cooperation domestically & globally to help ramp up production capabilities.

It’s human clinics trials that won’t start until September. I’m assuming that means Phase III. The first phase is animal. The second phase is small human population tests for dose finding. Third is large scale human trials that determine efficacy and safety.

#12317 3 years ago
7AE28353-E1C0-411B-A0DD-AC2E73E76298.jpeg7AE28353-E1C0-411B-A0DD-AC2E73E76298.jpeg
#12318 3 years ago

Is there any data on the fallout from the lockdown? Death and social issues from other problems other than the virus?

#12319 3 years ago

Florida beaches:

Screenshot_20200426-012909~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200426-012909~2 (resized).png
#12320 3 years ago

The virus travels nicely in ocean breezes...much further than 6 feet

#12321 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is bleach available in the stores? I was under the impression it was sold out as well.

I only go out once a week and have seen it available in several stores everytime. Got the large 3 pack at costco, that will last us months.
Shopped yesterday for mom and dad, us, and our good friend on second bought of breast cancer. 3 houses once a week.
Most everything available except hand sanitizer, clorox wipes, lysol wipes, lysol, and for some unknown reason toilet paper and paper towels still hard to get, available at random.
No meat shortage out here yet.
Yesterdays deals were babyback ribs and applewood smoked bacon. Both 2.99 a pound. Have not seen those prices since late 80's on those 2 pork products.

#12323 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Is there any data on the fallout from the lockdown? Death and social issues from other problems other than the virus?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/world/coronavirus-domestic-violence.html

Try this one no pay wall.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/police-see-rise-domestic-violence-calls-amid-coronavirus-lockdown-n1176151

#12324 3 years ago

Purple toes..blood clotting..scarred lungs ..etc..and whats disturbing Is unknown if second time infection Is less lethal? wtf???

#12325 3 years ago
FCA0EE13-4131-48ED-B3B7-11AFE49DB083 (resized).jpegFCA0EE13-4131-48ED-B3B7-11AFE49DB083 (resized).jpeg
#12326 3 years ago

Potbelly Sandwich Works is returning it's PPP money to the Federal Government:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/restaurants/under-fire-potbelly-says-it-will-return-federal-ppp-aid

#12327 3 years ago

Looks like a 25-35% increase in domestic violence, just haven't seen too many reports thanks.

#12328 3 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

It’s human clinics trials that won’t start until September. I’m assuming that means Phase III. The first phase is animal. The second phase is small human population tests for dose finding. Third is large scale human trials that determine efficacy and safety.

I believe preclinical are usually animal trials. Phase 1 are usually small human dose finding, side-effect oriented type of trials. That may be accelerated in this case but just surprised they aren't starting sooner on larger scale trials.

#12329 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Strong agree with Al Jazeera but sadly, PBS cannot still be considered due to several recent changes, most notably the hiring of Alcindor. PBS needs to appeal to all spectrums due to fundraising but somethings changed. Maybe they feared the amount of Koch brother donations had compromised their reputation. Or maybe the Koch people are pulling strings left for some reason. If people in charge are left leaning, they assume they are unbiased by only being moderately left leaning.
CNBC news updates seem surprisingly unbiased. My order for nightly news left to center- ABC, PBS, CBS, NBC.

What did BBC do with propaganda in terms of Huawei coverage?

#12330 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s not all doom and gloom here in nyc these days! Enjoy:

Damn, Levi. You put on a free show and get thumbed down. Who did you piss off?

That is a nice pair of Gibsons, BTW.

#12331 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ok now im really confused and dont know what the hell to believe. Why do i feel like there is something fishy going on?

Drink a shot of Clorox followed by a Lysol chaser. That might help your understanding.

#12332 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Damn, Levi. You put on a free show and get thumbed down. Who did you piss off?
That is a nice pair of Gibsons, BTW.

Thanks!

Just got the SG last week. It’s a 1970 and it’s amazing! (May have to look at that cable jack though!)

#12333 3 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Phase I is already on human subjects - as soon as you talk about "clinical trial" it's performed on humans.
Tests on animals are done before that, it's called a pre-clinical phase.

I tried to explain how clinical trials work in this post : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/165#post-5580569

#12335 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Grim milestone time: 55,000 dead here.
So that’s as many US deaths in 2 months as we had in 16 years in Vietnam.

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 1.46.40 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-26 at 1.46.40 PM (resized).png

Yes. We are a little over 55,000 deaths. And the day is not over. At the rate we have been going, we might see 60,000 in two more days.

Anybody want to make bets on when we see 70,000? 7 days? 14 days?

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 1.48.28 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-26 at 1.48.28 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 1.48.46 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-26 at 1.48.46 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 1.48.28 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-26 at 1.48.28 PM (resized).png

#12336 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Looks like a 25-35% increase in domestic violence

I know you feel these are the worst of times
I do believe it's true
When people lock their doors and hide inside
Rumor has it, it's the end of paradise
But I know, if the world turned upside down
Baby, I know, you'd always be around, my my
The best of times are when I'm alone with you

#12337 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Drink a shot of Clorox followed by a Lysol chaser. That might help your understanding.

What is that supposed to mean?

#12338 3 years ago
673941AD-74F3-436C-A4B8-4741F583F60E (resized).jpeg673941AD-74F3-436C-A4B8-4741F583F60E (resized).jpeg
#12339 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I believe preclinical are usually animal trials. Phase 1 are usually small human dose finding, side-effect oriented type of trials. That may be accelerated in this case but just surprised they aren't starting sooner on larger scale trials.

Gosh. Learn something new every day. I’ve been in pharma on the commercial side for my entire career and thought I knew what the phases were.

#12340 3 years ago

Out here in the middle of nowhere, we have car dealership where 5 covid cases have cropped up.

https://www.kansas.com/news/coronavirus/article242286841.html

"Five COVID-19 cases were identified at the Mel Hambelton Ford car dealership of Wichita, making it the latest of clusters in Sedgwick County, officials said Friday night."

Out in the REAL middle of nowhere there are more cases popping up.

"Ford County (419 cases) and Seward County (307 cases) saw the largest leaps at 69 and 75. respectively. Together, they accounted for roughly 52 percent of the new cases in the state.

https://www.kansas.com/news/coronavirus/article242279426.html

Ford county is Dodge City. A big employer is a meat packer. ( I was informed that Marshall Dillon told the virus it had until sundown to get out of town, but the virus flipped him off )

Seward county is Liberal Kansas. The big employer is also a meat packer.
----------------------------

And, as might be expected, Kansas has its share of protesters, too.

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article242300191.html

#12341 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

With that said, my further concern is that we've had coronaviruses of some form for a long time. SARs, MERs, the common cold. And yet there are no vaccines for any Corona. So why do we believe we will develop one in a timely manner, when we have not for so many decades? As I understand it, the epidemiology for Coronavirus is far different than influenza where we have had some moderate success in vaccines. Now, on the assumption that we ARE able to develop a vaccine, most timelines state a year to 18 months.

SARS just...disappeared. Once that happened all work on a vaccine that was no longer needed stopped.

There's a substantial amount of research on a coronavirus vaccine that works on all coronaviruses that's been amassed over the last 10 years or so, but the effort was very underfunded. Suddenly those researchers are the belle of the ball, and the spigots of cash for their research have opened wide. So they're not starting from zero, it's a pretty long trail of research into that class of viruses. But what's the timeline for a generic coronavirus vaccine? No one knows. One specific to the novel coronavirus is where most of the new effort is, and optimistically that's not available until next spring.

There are two likely possibilities. One, it disappears like SARS. I think this is unlikely. Two, there's a second wave in the fall like the Spanish Flu that kills a lot more than the first time around. This seems likely. I just hope they have better treatment by then. At least doctors are leaving their ventilator fetish behind as they see better survival rates overall without them.

#12342 3 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I was amazed how the linked story was openly accusatory of China and then quickly transitioned tone as it told the CES story (for convenience, here is the originally posted link from "360news": http://360newslasvegas.com/infected-chinese-attending-vegas-ces-spread-cv19-worldwide/?fbclid ). So I dug a little deeper (not a lot; just a little) and found the "American Public Media" writeup "360news" references: https://www.apmreports.org/story/2020/04/23/covid-infected-attendee-ces-tech-conference . I personally found the APM version to be a competent analysis of the very large CES show without the anti-China slant. The "360news" version's two introductory paragraphs combined with omitting pieces of the APM version (such as the compelling historical references recorded in the 'land of Tweets') damaged the presentation in my opinion.

In short I think the 360newslasvegas link and their self-described 'Political Reporter' deserve your eye roll, but not the source CES story. Over the long term CES may be looked back upon as analogous to the WWI military training camps in the US that likely helped the Spanish Flu get worldwide traction back in 1917. I'd recommend a read of the APM version - here's the link again: https://www.apmreports.org/story/2020/04/23/covid-infected-attendee-ces-tech-conference .

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED Display Boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#12344 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Damn, Levi. You put on a free show and get thumbed down..

Yeah……wtf……

Two thumbs up for opening with Judas Priest and for owning a fn piece of Rock & Roll history! Nice couch dude!

RIP Ronnie.

#12345 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s not all doom and gloom here in nyc these days! Enjoy:

Levi! Levi! Levi! Levii! Woohoo!!!!! that was awesome!! Wish I could have seen it live! Deserving of 100 Upvotes!

#12346 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

At least doctors are leaving their ventilator fetish behind as they see better survival rates overall without them.

Can you elaborate on this? If a person can't breathe well enough to properly oxygenate their blood, what options are there other than a ventilator?

#12347 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Can you elaborate on this? If a person can't breathe well enough to properly oxygenate their blood, what options are there other than a ventilator?

Well, oxygen masks of course, and I believe that there are other forms of less-invasive ventilators. Read about it in a recent article talking about the reduced ventilator usage. They're still being used, and they're still necessary in some cases, but they're being used less often now that we have better data on patient outcomes.

#12348 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Well, oxygen masks of course, and I believe that there are other forms of less-invasive ventilators. Read about it in a recent article talking about the reduced ventilator usage. They're still being used, and they're still necessary in some cases, but they're being used less often now that we have better data on patient outcomes.

Oh, I see. So you're saying that doctors have been quick to put COVID patients on ventilators, but it probably makes more sense to only use them as a last resort.

#12349 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Oxygen masks, physical positioning (your BACK is the WORST place to rest for your lungs), and breathing/coughing exercises to clear the lungs (5x breathe in and hold 3-5 seconds (where possible), then on the 6th time cough deeply - repeat 3x every hour). Positioning people on their stomachs propped on pillows gives the lungs more volume and allows any fluids gathered in them to shift, freeing capacity of the lung tissues to transfer oxygen to the blood.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 247 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/247?hl=lifefloat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.