272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 576.
#1101 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

You miss understood when I said "greatest generation" it included all Americans not just the soldiers fighting the war.

No I didn’t. I just don’t think they were the greatest generation. I lived through the 70’s and 80’s, and then learned how they slammed the door on the 60’s. I’m glad they joined a war in which we were attacked. And I’m glad they fought Hitler in Europe. Any other contributions to American society are certainly debatable. Just like every other generation.

#1102 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

No - for the reasons stressed in the article.
1) It does take time (you need to send the sample back to the company, as far as I understand)
2) You need to be thorough with the oral swab (to avoid a false negative)
3) More importantly, you create a competition for ressources (polymerase kits) with hospitals, which are now in short supply. My own academic lab received a demand from the local hospital to give them the polymerase they need...

I assume it's a PCR-based assay. Basically you try to look for a specific nucleic acid sequence which is specific for the virus and you amplify it by PCR.
PCR (polymerase chain reaction) is relatively easy to set and you can do it properly if you work in a proper lab and avoid contamination by other samples. A PCR machine is now inexpensive, primer sequences are easy to find, and DNA primers are inexpensive and can be ordered from a lot of different companies. Including positive and negative controls would still be necessary but this is not rocket science (I could do it, which tells a lot !). I would assume their results would not be less accurate, as long as their employees are not sloppy.

Around here they ran out of the reagents first and tests second. Bulletins were sent out to the universities and various labs to send in their reagents. Tests still in extreme short supply like pretty much everywhere in the States. Next up on the list of things to run out of...cotton swabs. No joke.

#1103 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Who exactly is Anthony Fauci? If this guy doesn't get a Presidential Medal of Freedom (or equivalent)... WE RIOT!

I don’t know, the last guy set the bar pretty high.

#1104 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Very well said. I try to keep calm being the man of the house, but there has been a few times in the last few days I kind of lost my shit do to people’s actions.

I guess this is really starting to hit home for me because although I've not brought it up in this thread, I have personal experience with the Corona virus. My wife contracted the strain of it that is directly related to the Sars and Mersa as some of you know from my posting about it a couple months back.. I wont' rehash what happened here but if you want to read it you can find it in the thread "Lets close this thread down" it starts at post #2662. This has started to make me relive that and it was one of the worst feelings of helplessness, frightened and confusion with no real answers to help me make sense of it. Then when I see what those people are going through my heart just goes out to them knowing they are far deeper than we were and how scared and frightened they must be.

#1105 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

It was a soft toss that anyone should have been able to knock out of the park. Just restate your plan and your faith in the team and the American people.

We need more than defensive, petty and self-aggrandizing. We deserve better.

#1106 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

No I didn’t. I just don’t think they were the greatest generation. I lived through the 70’s and 80’s, and then learned how they slammed the door on the 60’s. I’m glad they joined a war in which we were attacked. And I’m glad they fought Hitler in Europe. Any other contributions to American society are certainly debatable. Just like every other generation.

You are entitled to your opinion. I was not part of that generation as I was born in 1955 2 yrs. after the end of the Korean War but I am a child of that generation. I feel we owe them much but that is just my opinion.

#1107 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So the WHO declaring a pandemic vs a global emergency would somehow have affected what we were doing in the US to prepare? I haven’t seen these articles (too much reading on the topic gets depressing), but I’d think this administration wouldn’t let a globalist entity like the WHO impact its policies in the slightest.

There it is. Is WHO a respected global health organization or a propaganda tool for the Chinese? You can’t have it both ways.

The Fed behaviors and the statements are there for all to see. And if you don’t like what was said early - and you shouldn’t - the “I knew it was a pandemic before it was a pandemic” (and did very little about it) statement is damning. I guess one person can have it both ways. Lol.

#1108 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Anyone else remember the mouth watering smell that KFCs in the 80s and 90s emitted? I would be riding my bike as a kid and 2 to 3 blocks away you'd start to smell that smell. Damn you better exhaust/squirrel fans:/

Same could be said of Tim Hortons in the 70's and 80's. One could smell the new donuts being made on site.

#1109 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Can't believe they still want to hold the Olympics but Japan is in denial. Saw yesterday that Japan has only administered 15000 tests total so have no way on getting actual numbers of infected. No way in hell I'd be going to Japan this summer. NBA is done. MLB won't even get started. PGA would be a possibility of returning as they social distance pretty much anyways and would be ratings gold. Praying that they have some kind of instant test by July so NFL can resume in August but I don't see it. Think we'll be waiting till 2021 to see any sports. This is going to be soooo rough.

TBH they could fly all players on private jets to the Masters and ratings would be higher than the Super Bowl.

#1110 4 years ago

MLS soccer for fun is “playing” games on FIFA...gotta keep the fans happy I guess.

#1111 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That's fine line, Who-Dey. I do not recall anyone calling it a hoax, save one who made the reference in a rally speech. I wish I could play the movie.

It’s cool Cotton. The good guys know what’s what. It’s all documented. There for everyone to see. Now of course, all the people that originally insisted this a big nothingburger have changed their tune to “now isn’t the time to assign blame”. While vociferously blaming China and WHO to deflect attention from obvious negligence.

#1112 4 years ago

It’s cool Cotton. The good guys know what’s what. It’s all documented. There for everyone to see. Now of course, all the people that originally insisted this a big nothingburger have changed their tune to “now isn’t the time to assign blame”. While vociferously blaming China and WHO to deflect attention from obvious negligence.

You're right. Once the world is through this painful episode, there will be plenty of time to evaluate what happened and address the change and fixes required of those governments and parties that contributed to this mess.

#1113 4 years ago

Funny all the slamming I received for sharing what was happening 60 days ago!
Even Now, I shared a source, and its of no meaning.

Ill stick with whats documented, and family that shares info.

#1114 4 years ago

Then who do you consider to be the "greatest generation?"

#1115 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Yeah, that’s better. I guess your state is helping fund a better education system in my state. Thanks! Maybe we can send your state some tents for the mass population of homeless people?
And for what it’s worth, I pay more than my fair share in taxes.

I’ll bet your definition of fair is different than mine. But this definitely puts a nice spin on the maker/taker rhetoric. God bless facts.

#1116 4 years ago

I’m not really seeing how these soft shutdowns are going to be effective, relying on the public to do the right thing is pretty foolhardy. And they are considering GameStop as an essential business, WTF.

#1117 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:My wife also is using paper suit, face shield, respirator method here in Minnesota.
It is comically oversized on her.[quoted image]

And God bless her! She’s adorable.

#1118 4 years ago

So Now some states are opening ACA enrollment to help its people.

My Only Point is people who feel this program is Bad, because of Govt cost, Not Policy costs, will always have a point, I agree.

What is important in the debate is to finally see, if you think it Sucks, it is because of your States Policies, NOT the Program.
Rhetoric from the top makes it seem terrible, reality is what Your State did with it.

Example. Oklahoma had at Most 3 viable plans to pick from that all were catastrophic.
Florida has over 60. Last year we even had Kushners Oscar Plan.

#1119 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Question for ya doc:
Is it silly to sanitize mail/packages/grocery delivery? Is this virus clinging to objects as I’ve been hearing? How should one sanitize if yes?
Thank you.

I'm no doc but we are taking mail and putting it garbage bags for 3-4 days before opening anything. Ditto for packages which we have also been spraying with bleach before opening as well.

Overkill? Maybe but the reality is the so called experts told us for weeks the risk of coronavirus in the US "remains low" and look at where we are now.

These are many of the same experts telling us the danger of transmission from mail, packages, and takeout food is low. At this point, I'm using common sense realizing none of us really know enough about this virus to make these assumptions. .

#1120 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Part of the New Deal that took us out were Govt funded Jobs, of infrastructure, Bridges, Damns, Roads, and National Parks.
Perhaps that is what will happen, A works program to get future unemployment issues.
I dont think we will be building any new parks, we seem to be selling them off.

Great post. Since the infrastructure in US is literally falling apart, you might be right. It’s not going to rebuild itself and there’s no money (gee, I wonder where that comes from?).

#1121 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I’m not really seeing how these soft shutdowns are going to be effective, relying on the public to do the right thing is pretty foolhardy. And they are considering GameStop as an essential business, WTF.

Agreed. The time for tough, decisive action is now.

NYC and areas like it (Seattle) should have ordered people to stay at home days ago with citations and fines for those in violation. It is coming but their local leaders (yes, along with fed testing) have been behind the game since this started.

I hope enough other cities and states are learning from mistakes being made and don't do the same. Too many people just don't get it until it is right in their faces and their healthcare systems overrun. Young people everywhere are a huge part of this problem.

#1122 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

we are taking mail and putting it garbage bags for 3-4 days before opening anything. D

I’ve been doing the unpack stuff in garage, then I kill it with some lysol and leave non-essentials out there a few days. For perishable delivery, I lysol packages and let it dry and then hope for the best.

I read a detailed article on their best guess and they said unlikely but not impossible to catch it from boxes, bags, packages.

My family thinks I am nuts...but as far as I have read, older males are getting hit the worst.

#1123 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Never thought I’d say it. But thankful I still get to go to work every day.

I will have to continue to go in, but that's ok. I like the routine, helps me to normalize things.

#1124 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

My family thinks I am nuts...but as far as I have read, older males are getting hit the worst.

You're doing the right thing. I use Lysol spray on mail too.

#1125 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

These are many of the same experts telling us the danger of transmission from mail, packages, and takeout food is low. At this point, I'm using common sense realizing none of us really know enough about this virus to make these assumptions. .

I don't get the low risk with take out food. If they sneeze or sweat gets on the food, I would think the heat or organic particles of the food would lengthen the lifespan of the organism.

#1126 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I don't get the low risk with take out food. If they sneeze or sweat gets on the food, I would think the heat or organic particles of the food would lengthen the lifespan of the organism.

I thought the same thing. It just seems like an attempt to keep people employed.

#1127 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

organic particles of the food would lengthen the lifespan of the organism.

Apparently you can eat the virus no problem. There aren’t receptors or enough in gi system to get it or something

#1128 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Are you pulling the night shift, Doc? I thought I was an early bird, but 2am?

Hah, sometimes I have trouble sleeping.

#1129 4 years ago

Great post. Since the infrastructure in US is literally falling apart, you might be right. It’s not going to rebuild itself and there’s no money (gee, I wonder where that comes from?).

Quoted from Methos:

Agreed. It is just common sense that there is some risk, particularly when you consider that it tends to be younger people cooking and preparing the food (the demographic most likely to have few or no symptoms and report to work if mildly ill).

I get why they are remaining open for take out. It is necessary economically to keep some of these places going so it is a balancing act.

Everyone's age and health situation is different, though. I'm doing what is best for me and my family. I don't think spraying down mail and packages is excessive. It is common sense if you want to do everything you can to avoid getting this.

#1130 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

I'm seeing a lot of at-home tests for COVID-19 being announced?
Will you buy one?
How accurate do you think they are?
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/21/fda-warns-new-home-coronavirus-tests-unauthorized/

Be careful. There's going to be a lot of people trying to make a quick buck during this. None of these at home tests have been authorized. I think they're more dangerous than helpful at this point. Let's say someone takes a home test, it's falsely negative and they go out into the public thinking they're fine and spread the virus more. Bad news.

Now, if some at home tests are verified and approved and healthcare systems have enough access to testing then great, it might be helpful in getting more people tested but not at this time.

#1131 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Hah, sometimes I have trouble sleeping.

Morning Doc.. I pray for your health today.

I do have a question for you. Last week I have received emails from people I have done business
with in China. They tell me they have as many N95 Masks as needed, shipped in 3-5 days. 10,000, 100,000 etc.
Most Likely, these are not NIOSH approved.....Wouldnt these be of immediate need, with some quick approval, from Reliable sources of Manufacture?

#1132 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Be careful. There's going to be a lot of people trying to make a quick buck during this. None of these tests have been authorized. I think they're more dangerous than helpful. Let's say someone takes a home test, it's falsely negative and they go out into the public thinking they're fine and spread the virus more. Bad news.

If someone is advertising home tests for Covid19, it is a scam. Takes a validated lab and proper processing.

I hope they catch whoever is behind these scams and they are prosecuted. Very dangerous to public safety in addition to the fact they are trying to profit off fear and people's naivte.

#1133 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I do have a question for you. Last week I have received emails from people I have done business
with in China. They tell me they have as many N95 Masks as needed, shipped in 3-5 days. 10,000, 100,000 etc.
Most Likely, these are not NIOSH approved.....Wouldnt these be of immediate need, with some quick approval, from Reliable sources of Manufacture?

Yes, N-95s are needed pretty much across the nation. My brother in law is actually sending me a box that he had from a construction site to use so I don't have to use the same one I did last week. Any n-95s we can get from reliable manufacturing sources is needed.

#1134 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Taking bets on whether or not Japan will host the Olympics this year.
Will basketball finish the season? Will Baseball even start their season? Football!?
Man, sportscards are going to be weird, if sportscards are even still around.
Recession? More like Depression???

It is past time for the Olympics to be cancelled. Worldwide pandemic ongoing so flying athletes, support team and fans (unbelievable) from every county to mingle in large groups make zero sense and is irresponsible. Even if the half the countries were down to a few new cases a day, mixing them with folks from the other countries that are active is a sure fire way to restoke the problem once they return home (by another flight). Stupid. Consider the Games closed and the sooner they announce the closing the better.

One solution would be to postpone them for 2 years and plan to hold them Summer 2022. By then the outbreak should be contained and we may have a vaccine. The experts can tell us if there is any danger of another outbreak without a vaccine to proceed even then. Postponing them one year would probably not be feasible because a vaccine may not yet be approved/manufactured/prescribed/taken yet.

#1135 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Apparently you can eat the virus no problem. There aren’t receptors or enough in gi system to get it or something

That makes sense. There are several natural poisons you can digest without any impact, but they are deadly if they get in your blood. Thanks.

#1136 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

It is past time for the Olympics to be cancelled. Worldwide pandemic ongoing so flying athletes, support team and fans (unbelievable) from every county to mingle in large groups make zero sense and is irresponsible. Even if the half the countries were down to a few new cases a day, mixing them with folks from the other countries that are active is a sure fire way to restoke the problem once they return home (by another flight). Stupid. Consider the Games closed and the sooner they announce the closing the better.
One solution would be to postpone them for 2 years and plan to hold them Summer 2022. By then the outbreak should be contained and we may have a vaccine. The experts can tell us if there is any danger of another outbreak without a vaccine for the Olympics to proceed even then. Postponing them one year would probably not be feasible because there might not be a vaccine approved yet.

A friend of mine is involved in Olympics prep. Basically they have until May to make their decision, in theory at least. But if sponsors all drop out they won’t have much choice.

I don’t see any way we see any sports until football season.

#1137 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Buy food you can heat up when it gets to you. 140 F kills the virus. Wash hands after handling the containers/bags.

Deep fry your salad. lol.

#1138 4 years ago

Average age of deaths in Italy is 80

Source: CNN this morning

#1139 4 years ago

Just a thought, I wonder if the Europeans will stop with all the kissing on the cheeks after this is over.

#1140 4 years ago

Anyone knows what's going on with Switzerland? (I should - I probably live closer to this country than most of you but no one talks about it here)

7,100 cases for a population of... 8.5 millions. Which translates into half the number of cases in France for a population 8 times smaller, i.e. a 4x h higher density of cases.
May be they are very proactive for testing? (80 deaths only)

#1141 4 years ago
#1142 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Right now, the odds reflect a 95% chance of there being more than 100,000 confirmed Coronavirus cases in the Unites States by March 31st. There are ~26,000 confirmed cases today. The current numbers reflect a ~l 10% daily growth rate.

It’s a 30% daily growth rate, and I think we’ll be at 100k by next Friday (27th).

#1143 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Then who do you consider to be the "greatest generation?"

Why do I have to choose? What’s the criteria? Why does it matter? i don’t think that generation was crappy. They rallied when called. They did what they had to do. I think most generations would and do.

Now, excepting the current idiots brazenly refusing to social distance, I trust we’ll all pull together when the time comes. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ll remain optimistic.

#1144 4 years ago

Yeah we all know about this miracle cure now. More snake oil designed to distract by people who are desperate to deliver some good news to the American public. There is no magic carpet that’s going to whisk us away from this crisis “soon”. STAY HOME.

#1145 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

We all need to be doing this, for all our healthcare providers ... and doing everything we can to help minimize the amount of work they have to do.

#1146 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Who exactly is Anthony Fauci?
A bit of history on the man we're all counting on.

If this guy doesn't get a Presidential Medal of Freedom (or equivalent)... WE RIOT!

And he should earn his baby sitting badge as well. “Donny that’s not true. Don’t get upset now. You ok? Let me repeat, you can’t tell lies, ok? Let’s go out there. Don’t embarrass me today. You be a good boy, ok?”

#1147 4 years ago

Doc, can you clear up that question ... Do we need to be concerned about coronavirus in things we ingest? I was under the impression that the virus could be caught via mouth, nose, eyes, etc.

#1148 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Doc, can you clear up that question ... Do we need to be concerned about coronavirus in things we ingest? I was under the impression that the virus could be caught via mouth, nose, eyes, etc.

That’s been addressed recently in this thread. The answer is probably not. Doesn’t mean you should go licking sneeze guards.

#1149 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Anyone knows what's going on with Switzerland? (I should - I probably live closer to this country than most of you but no one talks about it here)
7,100 cases for a population of... 8.5 millions. Which translates into half the number of cases in France for a population 8 times smaller, i.e. a 4x h higher density of cases.
May be they are very proactive for testing? (80 deaths only)

I am guessing that this has more to do with proximity to northern Italy.

#1150 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I'd like clarification as well. Thank you. Have read we can ingest the virus and supposedly be fine but I imagine having any viral load in your mouth obviously exposes you. 1 would think this increases chance of infection right?

Also have heard that the viral load determines/affects susceptibility. Wouldnt you be increasing this figure/exposure level as well?

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.