272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 576.
#1051 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Anyone else remember the mouth watering smell that KFCs in the 80s and 90s emitted? I would be riding my bike as a kid and 2 to 3 blocks away you'd start to smell that smell. Damn you better exhaust/squirrel fans:/

I still like KFC chicken alot. It's pretty good stuff! Nobody makes a better chicken sandwich than Chic Fil a though. Popeye's has a great one now but it's still not chic fil a.

#1052 4 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

I heard it was due to the large migrant Chinese population working in the textile factories in Lombardy region. Spread to locals that still attend church, cafes... and kaboom

And the fact that China is heavily invested in Italy's infrastructure, like parts of Africa.

#1053 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I still like KFC chicken alot. It's pretty good stuff! Nobody makes a better chicken sandwich than Chic Fil a though. Popeye's has a great one now but it's still not chic fil a.

Stay away from that shit if you can. Results in high cancer risk/rates. Same with dairy.

#1054 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Stay away from that shit if you can. Results in high cancer risk/rates. Same with dairy.

I don't want to live in a world where I can't have cheese.

#1055 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Amen brother

#1056 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I rarely eat KFC or Chic fil A either one but I like them, especially Chic fil A. That's the best damn chicken sandwich ever made period!

#1057 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

All I could think of when I read this was the episode of Wallace and Gromit where they go to the moon because it’s made of cheese.

#1058 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

For what it’s worth, Italy has a nationalized health care system. Like what people are proposing for the USA.

A statement like that - with no context or
Point - really
Isn’t worth much.

#1059 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

OK, this increases the chances of being infected, but should not affect the death rate (?)

Two things:

1. Italy has the a high number of people over 65 in their population. That will increase the overall death rate.
2. Italy's healthcare system is being pushed to the brink. When that happens, the mortality rate will increase for not only COVID-19 patients but all patients. If there are no ICU beds available, if there are no ventilators available then patients who might have survived with proper care will die. Also patients with OTHER diseases who need ICU care will also die. That's why it's so important to flatten the curve to avoid overwhelming the healthcare system of a country.

#1060 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Two things:
1. Italy has the a high number of people over 65 in their population. That will increase the overall death rate.
2. Italy's healthcare system is being pushed to the brink. When that happens, the mortality rate will increase for not only COVID-19 patients but all patients. If there are no ICU beds available, if there are no ventilators available then patients who might have survived with proper care will die. Also patients with OTHER diseases who need ICU care will also die. That's why it's so important to flatten the curve to avoid overwhelming the healthcare system of a country.

I got a question doc:

Isn’t it too little, too late, and too half ass to “flatten the curve” to a point where we do better than Italy?

I live in nyc and the past two days I’ve seen sweaty guys with no shirts on playing half court basketball In groups of 10. If that’s going on here in nyc I can’t imagine how seriously the rest of the country is taking this.

#1061 4 years ago

First off my parents were both born in Italy, and most of my extended family is also Italian.

I love my Italian heritage and all that... however Italians generally distrust government and authority. You tell an Italian not to sit on a chair and they will sit on it in spite.

Been on the media to have social distancing etc etc for a week or more in Australia.
I went to an Italian Australian funeral 5 days ago, about 300 people. During the condolences, everyone was kissing and hugging etc!! I walked straight out with my elderly aunt.
If one person had covid 19 it could easily spread to 30-50 people in one incident.

They didn't seem to care!! Hence I can see how it spread through Italy as it did.

#1062 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I got a question doc:
Isn’t it too little, too late, and too half ass to “flatten the curve” to a point where we do better than Italy?
I live in nyc and the past two days I’ve seen sweaty guys with no shirts on playing half court basketball In groups of 10. If that’s going on here in nyc I can’t imagine how seriously the rest of the country is taking this.

I’ve been taking it very seriously even though I am not in a high risk group. Meanwhile, my elderly parents are still going out all over the place. My dad just got a haircut today even though they are supposed to be shutdown. The barber is almost as old as my dad. They don’t seem to care or worry much about it.

#1063 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I got a question doc:

you'll get your answer in +/- 2 weeks... :/

#1064 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

Andrew Heighway, leave that body!!

#1065 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

Rick has been pretty amazing about sharing info and answering questions on here. I can't imagine how busy he is right now.

#1066 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

We're too selfish and too stupid to have the freedoms we have in America.

Speak for yourself, Kemosabe.

#1067 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

Surely there's more miasma out there now than ever.

#1068 4 years ago

Two things:

Question for ya doc:

Is it silly to sanitize mail/packages/grocery delivery? Is this virus clinging to objects as I’ve been hearing? How should one sanitize if yes?

Thank you.

#1069 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Question for ya doc:
Is it silly to sanitize mail/packages/grocery delivery? Is this virus clinging to objects as I’ve been hearing? How should one sanitize if yes?
Thank you.

Thing looks like a 3D Velcro® particle, I wouldn't put it past it.

#1070 4 years ago

Not on the mail, we would not be sent out every day delivering mail if it was.

#1071 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I got a question doc:

Well, we are out of the window for containment so flattening the curve is really all we can do. How well we flatten the curve depends on every individual American doing their part. You will have some people ignoring the orders and spreading the virus, but short of enacting martial law it's all we can do at this point.

#1072 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Question for ya doc:
Thank you.

No, it's really not silly at all. SARS-CoV-2 has been shown to live on certain hard surfaces for 2-3 days. Cardboard and paper looks to be around an hour. My advice would be open the package outside or in your garage, throw away the box or wrapping, wash or sterilize whatever the item is after you remove it from the box and then do hand hygiene for yourself. Groceries are a little harder, I don't think it would be really feasible to sterilize each item but certainly you could remove the groceries from the bags, discard the bags and then wash any vegetables or fruit prior to storing them.

#1073 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Rick has been pretty amazing about sharing info and answering questions on here. I can't imagine how busy he is right now.

I think he meant we won't know the effects of social distancing for another few weeks.

#1074 4 years ago

I am talking about fatalities.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

If you are obese, heavy smoker , and never moved from your chair , you are in high change of hospitalization if developing symptoms , even if you are less tan 55.
You will almost certainly be ok but you will overload the health system that needs to care for people in their 70s 80s 90s.

#1075 4 years ago

I have always found betting sites and odds trackers a better indicator of likley reality than polls and scientific studies. With that being said, with the lack of sports around the folks who have been tracking election odds are now tracking the odds of the Corona-Virus hitting certain thresholds. With real cash wagered, the results tend to be pretty accurate. Right now, the odds reflect a 95% chance of there being more than 100,000 confirmed Coronavirus cases in the Unites States by March 31st. There are ~26,000 confirmed cases today. The current numbers reflect a ~l 10% daily growth rate. Following the "rule of 72" that would imply the number of cases in the United States doubling each week. This would imply a trend for the rate of spread to actually be accelerating in the United States. Now, that is largely due to the wider availability of tests, but things are going to get worse before they get better. At the the current rate of spread, depending on how you work the math the pandemic would be over in the United States by the end of July... because everyone would have already had the virus.

odds (resized).pngodds (resized).png
#1076 4 years ago

Got the call from the boss tonight , don't bother coming in . So it begins . Sitting at home could be fun but the missus is going to work from home now , just my luck
The football has been stopped for now , in 2 days the states will shut their borders and we'll pretty much be in lockdown so I have to stock up on beer tomorrow . Gary, The father in-law's funeral has been cancelled , it's been a nightmare but as Gary would have said " Just have a beer for me and fucken get on with it . "

#1077 4 years ago

I just called my supervisor to tell him that I got a simple cold since Friday night...and he was like "OMG STAY HOME!!!"

#1078 4 years ago

I think he meant we won't know the effects of social distancing for another few weeks.

correct ! absolutly not bashing you of course...

Quoted from jlm33:

Andrew Heighway, leave that body!!

if we still can joke (...) Alien(s) are the perfect example of what a parasite is (et je vais bien rassure toi JL)

#1079 4 years ago

No, it's really not silly at all. SARS-CoV-2 has been shown to live on certain hard surfaces for 2-3 days. Cardboard and paper looks to be around an hour. My advice would be open the package outside or in your garage, throw away the box or wrapping, wash or sterilize whatever the item is after you remove it from the box and then do hand hygiene for yourself. Groceries are a little harder, I don't think it would be really feasible to sterilize each item but certainly you could remove the groceries from the bags, discard the bags and then wash any vegetables or fruit prior to storing them.

I have seen a list of how long the COVID-19 virus can stay active on different surfaces. I remember cardboard being up to 24 hours and the longest any of them had was 3 days.

I went to the store on Friday. I had some garbage bags ready in my car. When I come out of the store I put all of the items I bought in the garbage bags. I got home and took the garbage bags in my back room and there they will stay until Monday evening. I didn't get any items that need to be refrigerated or frozen or anything that I needed right away. So I figured why mess around with unpacking things that could possibly contaminate my house or mess with wiping things down when I didn't need to. Buy it, throw it in a bag , wait 3 days and no worries.

#1080 4 years ago

Bigg changes

#1081 4 years ago

Never thought I’d say it. But thankful I still get to go to work every day.

#1082 4 years ago

Are you pulling the night shift, Doc? I thought I was an early bird, but 2am?

#1083 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Well...if that’s the best in the world, then we are all in serious trouble.

Pretty much. This is what several of us have been worried about for weeks.

#1084 4 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

I am talking about fatalities.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/
If you are obese, heavy smoker , and never moved from your chair , you are in high change of hospitalization if developing symptoms , even if you are less tan 55.
You will almost certainly be ok but you will overload the health system that needs to care for people in their 70s 80s 90s.

And if you have type 1 diabetes, asthma, etc. you are kinda fucked too and that has nothing to do with life style choice. And no, “certainly okay” is not how I would classify it.

#1085 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

And if you have type 1 diabetes, asthma, etc. you are kinda fucked too and that has nothing to do with life style choice. And no, “certainly okay” is not how I would classify it.

Type 1 diabetes surprises me a bit. I would think type 2 would be an equal or higher risk, since a lot of that group is also obese. My wife is type 1 and honestly, she’ll handle it better than me (or that’s my prediction anyhow). Historically illnesses hit me much harder. But to be fair, I’m 10 years older than her and smoked until 3 weeks ago. The virus scared me into cold turkey.

I’m sure we’ll get it at some point so I’ll post the results. Both of us should survive given our age and overall health (my wife is obsessed with exercise).

Off topic, but my wife can maintain damn near normal blood sugars, even with a non-functional pancreas. We’ve been on a virtually zero carb diet for 6 months. It’s absolutely amazing what it has done for her blood sugars, A1C is 5.5 (non-diabetic range).

#1086 4 years ago

I sit in front of my TV and hear all the news about people all over the world suffering, dying, never having the "luxury" of saying goodbye to their loved ones and in most cases in Italy now not even seeing their loved ones after death. Most are considered "lucky" just to receive their ashes. It's something I pray doesn't occur here and as unlikely as this may sound it's a real possibility. Our health system will be stretched, will it be stretched to the point of failure like what we are seeing in Italy? I guess I'm just having a hard time processing what is happening to those people and can't fathom, no, can't imagine that may happen here at home. I try to understand what it must be like to be told you're losing your wife, son, daughter, parent, or grand parent knowing they are suffering, right down the street and you can't even see their face, likely for the last time. I get on here and find myself in some BS heated debate about states, politicians, or just some fucking what-if's our country could have done and I feel like a petty little man. All our arguing about Where, When, How this all got started will not save one of those loved ones. We need to stop focusing on it's start and focus on it's ending and unless attitudes/actions change direction here in the US and we act as a Nation we will be the next Italy.

#1087 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I set in front of my TV and hear all the news about people all over the world suffering, dying, never having the "luxury" of saying goodbye to their loved ones and in most cases in Italy now not even seeing their loved ones after death. Most are considered "lucky" just to receive their ashes. It's something I pray doesn't occur here and as unlikely as this may sound it's a real possibility. Our health system will be stretched, will it be stretched to the point of failure like what we are seeing in Italy? I guess I'm just having a hard time processing what is happening to those people and can't fathom, no, can't imagine that may happen here at home. I try to understand what it must be like to be told you're losing your wife, son, daughter, parent, or grand parent knowing they are suffering, right down the street and you can't even see their face, likely for the last time. I get on here and find myself in some BS heated debate about states, politicians, or just some fucking what-if's our country could have done and I feel like a petty little man. All our arguing about Where, When, How this all got started will not save one of those loved ones. We need to stop focusing on it's start and focus on it's ending and unless attitudes/actions change direction here in the US and we act as a Nation we will be the next Italy.

Very well said. I try to keep calm being the man of the house, but there has been a few times in the last few days I kind of lost my shit do to people’s actions.

#1088 4 years ago

Is there any way on pinside to see the rate of successful pinball sales? I would think it has to be down. Glad I sold a machine a while back. Not buying anymore anytime soon. We were quadrupling our mortgage payment. Stopped that too...

#1089 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Type 1 diabetes surprises me a bit. I would think type 2 would be an equal or higher risk, since a lot of that group is also obese. My wife is type 1 and honestly, she’ll handle it better than me (or that’s my prediction anyhow). Historically illnesses hit me much harder. But to be fair, I’m 10 years older than her and smoked until 3 weeks ago. The virus scared me into cold turkey.
I’m sure we’ll get it at some point so I’ll post the results. Both of us should survive given our age and overall health (my wife is obsessed with exercise).
Off topic, but my wife can maintain damn near normal blood sugars, even with a non-functional pancreas. We’ve been on a virtually zero carb diet for 6 months. It’s absolutely amazing what it has done for her blood sugars, A1C is 5.5 (non-diabetic range).

Autoimmune disorders are especially susceptible. (EDIT: by susceptible I mean to severe outcomes not to contracting. Contracting is a different set of variables).

Dang, best I do is a1c 6.0. If I try to go lower, I have too many lows. Usually 6.5 is where I can sit with minimal events.

#1090 4 years ago

@jlm33 can you post where you found this graphic, or find an updated one for us please?

Deaths happen about 15 days after you show symptoms. I think that this graph is the most telling one we’ve seen yet. It clearly shows the exponential growth, how Italy is a week or two ahead of the rest of the world, and that South Korea is the only country to flatten the curve in any way.

FAD7ADEA-75E1-4B6A-9709-FE30911E19CC (resized).jpegFAD7ADEA-75E1-4B6A-9709-FE30911E19CC (resized).jpeg
(sorry it's in French, Etats-Unis stands for USA).

#1091 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

@jlm33 can you post where you found this graphic, or find an updated one for us please?

https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2020/02/27/en-carte-visualisez-la-propagation-mondiale-de-l-epidemie-de-coronavirus_6031092_4355770.html

Updated more or less every day - last update this Sunday
Capture d’écran 2020-03-22 à 13.24.40 (resized).pngCapture d’écran 2020-03-22 à 13.24.40 (resized).png

#1092 4 years ago

I'm seeing a lot of at-home tests for COVID-19 being announced?

Will you buy one?

How accurate do you think they are?

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/21/fda-warns-new-home-coronavirus-tests-unauthorized/

#1093 4 years ago

Taking bets on whether or not Japan will host the Olympics this year.

Will basketball finish the season? Will Baseball even start their season? Football!?

Man, sportscards are going to be weird, if sportscards are even still around.

Recession? More like Depression???

#1094 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Autoimmune disorders are especially susceptible.
Dang, best I do is a1c 6.0. If I try to go lower, I have too many lows. Usually 6.5 is where I can sit with minimal events.

We get virtually zero lows on a severely carb restricted diet. She dialed in her basal rates and usually hovers around 100, maybe spikes to 140 after a meal. Protein converts to glucose, just slowly. She has to bolus for protein. But overall, it’s an amazing approach to a autoimmune disease that’s very difficult to manage. Dr Bernstein wrote the Bible on the approach.

#1095 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Taking bets on whether or not Japan will host the Olympics this year.
Will basketball finish the season? Will Baseball even start their season? Football!?
Man, sportscards are going to be weird, if sportscards are even still around.
Recession? More like Depression???

No way on the olympics. Depression is a real possibility...

#1096 4 years ago

All the construction workers were laid off this week. Very abruptly, I have been cut back to 40 hours. No one is allowed in the powerhouse but us maintenance workers. The reduced hours don't bother me. I do feel for those that have found themselves out of work.

#1097 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Annual rattlesnake hunt in Waynoka Oklahoma. Snakes only. Ecologically devastating. Cruelty toward the snakes. Big money maker for the area.

They have Whacking Day in Oklahoma?

#1098 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

I'm seeing a lot of at-home tests for COVID-19 being announced?
Will you buy one?

No - for the reasons stressed in the article.
1) It does take time (you need to send the sample back to the company, as far as I understand)
2) You need to be thorough with the oral swab (to avoid a false negative)
3) More importantly, you create a competition for ressources (polymerase kits) with hospitals, which are now in short supply. My own academic lab received a demand from the local hospital to give them the polymerase they need...

I assume it's a PCR-based assay. Basically you try to look for a specific nucleic acid sequence which is unique for this virus and you amplify it by PCR.

PCR (polymerase chain reaction) is relatively easy to set and you can do it properly if you work in a proper lab and avoid contamination by other samples. A PCR machine is now inexpensive, primer sequences are easy to find, and DNA primers are inexpensive and can be ordered from a lot of different companies. Including positive and negative controls would still be necessary but this is not rocket science (I could do it, which tells a lot !). I would assume their results would not be less accurate, as long as their employees are not sloppy (and this will very quickly become boring to them, so chances are you pay less attention).

#1099 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Thanks. I'm glad you explained that to me.
It's not like I'm a Metallurgy Chemist or anything.....Oh, wait, I am.

Wasn’t explaining it to you. I was riffing on your post to make my own point.

#1100 4 years ago

Can't believe they still want to hold the Olympics but Japan is in denial. Saw yesterday that Japan has only administered 15000 tests total so have no way on getting actual numbers of infected. No way in hell I'd be going to Japan this summer. NBA is done. MLB won't even get started. PGA would be a possibility of returning as they social distance pretty much anyways and would be ratings gold. Praying that they have some kind of instant test by July so NFL can resume in August but I don't see it. Think we'll be waiting till 2021 to see any sports. This is going to be soooo rough.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/22?hl=pinjim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.