272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 576.
#1002 4 years ago

People seriously have got to “UNF*CK” themselves “Time Now!”
Been working on setting up a hospital site with a bunch of Nurse Ratchets for the past 2wks and drove home yesterday to notice some parents let their kids outside to have a lemonade stand....WTF!
I love America and our Freedom but please use some common sense.
C2A4EB0F-383C-496C-860E-099767B3AD3B (resized).pngC2A4EB0F-383C-496C-860E-099767B3AD3B (resized).png

#1003 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

You can point fingers wherever there is blame. And you should. What is this, third grade? Two wrongs make a right? You think Deblasio screwed up? Fine. You get a medal and a cookie. What about clown shoes? There’s a special place in hell, I’m sure.

Did I say anywhere that I am defending Trump's handling of this crisis? I haven't been happy with the fed's and CDC's lack of preparation either.

The point I am making is that there are some in this thread trying to place all blame for what is happening on the federal government. This while absolving their state & local politicians of any responsibility for their slow and botched response and actions.

You guys can protest all you want but Deblasio's handling of the outbreak in NYC has been slow and frankly, impotent. His own aids and cabinet were begging him for almost a week to close schools, restaurants, and other public places and he just dragged his feet and continued on as if all would be okay. Apparently, he only took action after his advisors basically sat him down and had an intervention.

I will ask you like I did Levi: Who is responsible for the decision and timing of school closures, restaurants, and public places at the state and local level?

This is a terrible situation for New York and the country. All I'm saying is if you guys are going to politicize this and try to assign blame, you need to be a little more objective and look at some of the glaring failures of your local officials as well.

#1004 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Yeah, I’ve seen the study, the differences are small and it may not be true. Point is many people are spreading a lot of rumors and misinformation as if they are fact, giving false hope and causing panic.

Yes I know, that’s quite literally what I mentioned in my comment. It’s a very small study and needs to be replicated with a much larger sample. That’s most the studies people get their info on. That’s why every other year people say “eating meat bad - eating meat good!”
Must be reproduced in multiple controlled settings.

People are spreading crazy rumors and misinformation but citing a *plausible* study is not one of them. It’s also a tiny chance. Like 15% difference.
Licking toilet seats not recommended!

I’ve heard even more bad news from a friend who works for the DoD; his boss just got coronavirus. But since any sort of news that hasn’t been confirmed by the almighty TV gets downvoted, I will withhold my information.
Best of luck to you all Monday. I am not thrilled at all.

#1005 4 years ago

ATTENTION!!! FOR A SAFE ANTI VIRUS SOAP.PLEASE USE (ODO BAN MIXED WITH LIQUED SOAP ) TO SHOWER!! IT WILL NOT HARM YOU.please spray yards,siding on house ect.. with odo ban in sprayer.THANK YOU.

15848486811757599435111244855175 (resized).jpg15848486811757599435111244855175 (resized).jpg
#1006 4 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

People seriously have got to “UNF*CK” themselves “Time Now!”
Been working on setting up a hospital site with a bunch of nurse ratchets for the past 2wks and drive home yesterday to notice some parents let there kids outside to have a lemonade stand....WTF! I love America and our Freedom but please use some common sense.[quoted image]

Are you sure that’s lemonade? I saw a woman forcing her kids do this with toilet paper in the center of a nearby city.

#1007 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The American Factory documentary was produced by Barrack and Michelle Obama.

Figures

#1008 4 years ago

Seriously, the last few days is the closest it has come to the California I remember from my childhood.

So many idiots have moved here from wherever and whatever, and now there has been barely a peep or any of them in sight.

#1009 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Because they cash out and live like Kings since the cost of living (mainly housing) is so much lower

I get it. Doesn't mean that we locals in other states like the cost of housing skyrocketing because of it. This is nothing new. It has been a common complaint throughout the western states for many years.

Most Californians are great. However, there is a subset of elitists that are leaving because of the taxes, etc but inexplicably want to bring the same ideas with them. That is where the disconnect and friction with long time residents
can start.

#1012 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I think your a little confused....its simple math....u can sell your house in Cal for 3-5X what it would cost in Utah, AZ, NV....therefore u cash out, and retire in places like Utah, NV, and AZ.....personally I'm on the same program, but it will be Idaho (Jackson) in the summer, and AZ in the winter....

It's weird that there is always a Buyer. Someone buying an overpriced home in an overpriced location when they could be doing what
You are doing.

#1013 4 years ago

Even when this is over, I think they should shut the state down just like they are doing now at least a month or two a year.

It's been a long time since it's been this peaceful around here. Nobody's knocking on my door looking for a handout or trying to get me to join their cause or sign this or that. And a bunch of other nonsense.

#1014 4 years ago

The chart flips days at a certain time. It already rolled over. Here is yesterdays (Saturday)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1015 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Newest Covid-19 numbers by country:[quoted image]

This is a good thing, we have WAY MORE TESTING! As they were saying, guys, there are tens of thousands who are infected and don’t know. Everyone bitched about testing yet we are really getting on track.
Honestly, I really dislike Cuomo, but he’s done decently and should be commended for getting so many testing sites up and running so quickly.

One thing I dislike: 15 cases in local Saratoga Hospital.
A nurse there confirmed today they removed all inpatients and now the state is bussing up infected patients to US to free up more beds down in the city...
this is gonna make it spread even worse.

#1016 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Seriously, the last few days is the closest it has come to the California I remember from my childhood.
So many idiots have moved here from wherever and whatever, and now there has been barely a peep or any of them in sight.

They are waiting, and watching...

#1017 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Newest Covid-19 numbers by country

USA is at 81 cases per million, Italy is at 886 (10x), so we have a little time before we catch up. 10 days at least.

[EDIT] Damn, NY state is at 616 per million (12,316/20), not far behind Italy at all. Be safe and be well, my northern friends.

#1018 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballbrian:

ATTENTION!!! FOR A SAFE ANTI VIRUS SOAP.PLEASE USE (ODO BAN MIXED WITH LIQUED SOAP ) TO SHOWER!! IT WILL NOT HARM YOU.please spray yards,siding on house ect.. with odo ban in sprayer.THANK YOU.[quoted image]

Not sure about using it as a body wash, but Odo-ban is great stuff. Super concentrated, it really works and the gallon goes a long way. I've used it after cleaning up issues with a faulty sewer at my rental property; it really makes things sanitary and pleasant. Also had issues with mold in a French drain which it resolved too; I guess bleach could have done the same there but Odo-ban is less caustic in terms of odor.

#1019 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I get it. Doesn't mean that we locals in other states like the cost of housing skyrocketing because of it. This is nothing new. It has been a common complaint throughout the western states for many years.
Most Californians are great. However, there is a subset of elitists that are leaving because of the taxes, etc but inexplicably want to bring the same ideas with them. That is where the disconnect and friction with long time residents
can start.

your not alone in that frustration. Its been happening here for 30 years

#1020 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

My Daughter received her "Essential Employee" Letter today which will get her through the roadblocks.
We used to watch War Movies and always responded when the Nazi Guard demanded "Papers!".
I understand why they are doing it, this is just the first time it has been so in your face. I guess License Checks
are really the same thing. There will be many that are soon faked so people can continue to drive around.

In what state do they have roadblocks?

#1021 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

USA is at 81 cases per million, Italy is at 886 (10x), so we have a little time before we catch up. 10 days at least.

Italy had 6500 new cases. Damn. And they have been on lockdown a while. I still think we will catch and surpass them though. We probably had more new cases than them, just not tested yet.

I read that LA isn't even testing people now unless the test would impact treatment. Decision made because lack of tests.

#1022 4 years ago

Wow. I stayed around the house all day long. Around 4:30pm I thought I would take a drive and see what is happening around the city. As far as Kansas goes, The Gov. has closed the schools for the rest of the year and is taking it online. shut down all kinds of businesses. And has a limited the size of gatherings to 50 people.

And then she started taking heat. Parents started bitching and whining about how it is so ridiculous; Of course, the parents problem is the same baby sitting problem hammering everybody. Our governor is Democrat. And the other side is giving nothing but grief,
===================================================

https://www.kctv5.com/coronavirus/gov-kelly-closes-kansas-k--schools-for-rest-of/article_9c0a4276-6897-11ea-ac0a-73d2c8420907.html

" Yet Kelly's order to close schools concerned some Republican legislators, and Senate health committee Chairman Gene Suellentrop, a Wichita Republican, called it “asinine.” He said schools could remain closed for two or four weeks, but shuttering them for the rest of the semester is overreacting.

“We are overblowing this thing,” he said. “It doesn't mean people need to be reckless, but we can't stop living.”
==============================================================

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/kansas/articles/2020-03-18/gop-right-pushes-back-on-kansas-governor-for-closing-schools

" As most of the U.S. raced to get ahead of the coronavirus pandemic, conservative Republican lawmakers in Kansas moved Wednesday to limit their Democratic governor’s emergency powers, including the ability to establish quarantine zones if the need arises.

Conservatives are angry with Gov. Laura Kelly's order to close all of the state's K-12 school buildings for the rest of the spring semester. They view it both as an overreaction that is fueling panic and a sign that she's willing to have state government move aggressively into people's businesses and lives.

============================================

You can call it whatever the fuck you want to call it but this is what is happening in this ass backwards state.

======================================================

Other than stopping to get gas, I stayed on the streets, just driving and looking around. Some businesses were closed. Some restaurants were allowing. dine in meals. The bar where I USED to play pool had a full parking lot. Traffic was lighter than usual, but there was still a lot of it;Perhaps others are out checking the scene, as was I.

Oh, yeah, I was out for 1.5 hours and came back to around 300 posts in this thread. I went through all of them, made a few comments and watched my up thumb/ down thumb ratio go to shit.

#1023 4 years ago

100k by Christmas? ..........too soon

#1024 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We would prefer if the shorter term residents that came here in droves to rape the land and try to milk our state dry and bring their own cultures and try to push ours aside, whether from another state or country, would leave entirely.

That’s what the red men said in the 1800’s, too.

#1025 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This is a good thing, we have WAY MORE TESTING! As they were saying guys. There are tens of thousands who are infected and don’t know. Everyone bitched about testing yet we are really getting on track.
Honestly, I really dislike Cuomo, but he’s done decently and should be commended for getting so many testing sites up and running so quickly.
One thing I dislike: 15 cases in local Saratoga Hospital.
A nurse there confirmed today they removed all inpatients and now the state is bussing up infected patients to US to free up more beds down in the city...
this is gonna make it spread even worse.

I feel for you guys. I'm afraid NYC is going to be the US's Italy in the near future. Let's all hope and pray for better outcomes.

#1026 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I'm afraid NYC is going to be the US's Italy in the near future.

Don't they already have a little Italy there?

#1027 4 years ago

For what it’s worth, Italy has a nationalized health care system. Like what people are proposing for the USA.

#1028 4 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

In germany we now have 21000 cases of corona and 70 deaths so far, (...)
In italy they have 53600 cases and more than 4800 deaths.
I just don't understand this difference.

I don't either...and it would be interesting to see how you handle emergency care patients.

The higher-than-everywhere death rate in Italy is currently 9% (4825 / 53578). A possible explanation is the way they do (did?) tests: they prioritized them to patients who were seriously ill. Meaning you would be missing the people who would survive the infection anyway. Another explanation is its aging population. And a third is fact that they are now overwhelmed with not enough ventilators.

The death rate in Germany is currently 0.38% (84 / 22364)...better than in most places. May be it's only a matter of time. People don't die instantly - if the number of cases grew very recently in Germany, the deaths will come a few weeks later. Add to that that Germany has a significantly higher number of emergency care beds than France for example (I read 25,000 vs 7,000). Or may be you have enough tests to check nearly everyone even with very mild symptoms: they will survive but would be missed elsewhere.

France is in between: 3.9% (562 / 14485) but this figure is higher than what people were anticipating. This explains in part why our response has been inadequate. Health authorities were probably counting on 0.5% and they were taken by surprise.

#1029 4 years ago

Figures ? I don't understand. Would you have rather the documentary not have been made? To me, it shows what can happen in the country. It seemed like an honest assessment of what happened to that plant, whether anybody likes it, or not.

All I can say is that I am glad I am retired and not have to deal with this kind of crap.

I will say this from what I saw when watching it. That young Chinese guy wanted to hang some Chinese posters and the boss said, "No, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. So some US posters went up.

I can't remember but I think that factory was flying the American flag. Japanese/American Honda dealerships fly the American flag. BMW flies the American flag. Actually, I think most dealerships fly the American flag, no matter where the cars are made.

Would you like to guess/know what flags GM, and Ford fly over in China? I would, too. But I am guessing they are not flying the American flag, even though China makes those, too.

#1030 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

For what it’s worth, Italy has a nationalized health care system. Like what people are proposing for the USA.

Italy’s is one of the best in the world, actually.

#1031 4 years ago

In other news.....

Salt Lake City got rocked by a big earthquake.

68 murders have been recorded in Chicago in 2020, police said. The number of shooting incidents came in at 274, with a total of 325 victims. That’s a 20.9% fatality rate. (Compare that to current covid19 death rates)

Kenny Rogers died

The Invisible Man movie released for home viewing

#1032 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Figures ? I don't understand. Would you have rather the documentary not have been made? To me, it shows what can happen in the country. It seemed like an honest assessment of what happened to that plant, whether anybody likes it, or not.
All I can say is that I am glad I am retired and not have to deal with this kind of crap.
I will say this from what I saw when watching it. That young Chinese guy wanted to hang some Chinese posters and the boss said, "No, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. So some US posters went up.
I can't remember but I think that factory was flying the American flag. Japanese/American Honda dealerships fly the American flag. BMW flies the American flag. Actually, I think most dealerships fly the American flag, no matter where the cars are made.
Would you like to guess/know what flags GM, and Ford fly over in China? I would, too. But I am guessing they are not flying the American flag, even though China makes those, too.

They also said American workers are lazy and that they dont work efficiently. I have to disagree totally. F*ck them all!

#1033 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

There will be many that are soon faked so people can continue to drive around.

... until penalties / fines become prohibitive.

It escalated quickly in France for those being out without a good reason.
$40 the first day(s).
Quickly increased to $145.
And now, less than a week later, I heard on the news $600 (in case of recidivism) and possible jail.

#1034 4 years ago

Wow! That turned out pretty good. This is how I'm containing.

DSCN6712 (resized).JPGDSCN6712 (resized).JPG
#1035 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I don't think that is the problem in Italy. South Korea also has socialized medicine that is free to all citizens and they are pretty much kicking ass on coronavirus thus far.

#1036 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Correct. At least for Northern Italy, and that's where the virus hit the hardest.

#1037 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Sure. If you are measuring countries on expenditures per capita. How’s the old saying go...you get what you pay for? Or something like that.

Right now, Germany and USA have the lowest death rates per confirmed cases of covid19. Subject to change, and that change could be rapid.

#1038 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Correct. At least for Northern Italy, and that's where the virus hit the hardest.

Well...if that’s the best in the world, then we are all in serious trouble.

#1039 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I don't either...and it would be interesting to see how you handle emergency care patients.
The higher-than-everywhere death rate in Italy is currently 9% (4825 / 53578). A possible explanation is the way they do (did?) tests: they prioritized them to patients who were seriously ill. Meaning you would be missing the people who would survive the infection anyway. Another explanation is its aging population. And a third is fact that they are now overwhelmed with not enough ventilators.
The death rate in Germany is currently 0.38% (84 / 22364)...better than in most places. May be it's only a matter of time. People don't die instantly - if the number of cases grew very recently in Germany, the deaths will come a few weeks later. Add to that that Germany has a significantly higher number of emergency care beds than France for example (I read 25,000 vs 7,000). Or may be you have enough tests to check nearly everyone even with very mild symptoms: they will survive but would be missed elsewhere.
France is in between: 3.9% (562 / 14485) but this figure is higher than what people were anticipating. This explains in part why our response has been inadequate. Health authorities were probably counting on 0.5% and they were taken by surprise.

Italians are a very affectionate people. They give out hugs and kisses like it’s candy. Germans, not so much.

#1040 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I heard it was due to the large migrant Chinese population working in the textile factories in Lombardy region. Spread to locals that still attend church, cafes... and kaboom

#1041 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Italians are a very affectionate people. They give out hugs and kisses like it’s candy. Germans, not so much.

I think the culture of affection/ touching and cities and towns where people live in close proximity has definitely contributed to what is occurring it Italy.

The US in most areas will hopefully fare better as we are mostly more spread out in suburbs.

Unfortunately as we are seeing in NYC right now, large cities where it is very crowded and people live in close proximity, this virus appears to spread like wildfire.

#1042 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Funny. I always thought that traditionally they were revered as a loving and kind people.. (also too soon?)

#1043 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I don't think that is the problem in Italy. South Korea also has socialized medicine that is free to all citizens and they are pretty much kicking ass on coronavirus thus far.

It's not a matter of private health care vs socialized health care, it's irrelevant in this case. What has matter more than anything is that the country took it seriously. Countries that had infects before were right on top of it. Countries that didn't have been very slow to respond and handle it. Somehow the stupid thing got turned into a political issue in the US (just like everything else) and this time we're paying the price for this non-stop bickering and fighting. As someone who doesn't belong to either party, I find the lack of testing and general action currently unacceptable. You could see all this coming, I don't understand what the problem was. Here are my two posts from the end of February in the stock thread, before any of this major stuff happened:

About why I think the stock market is going way down:

Quoted from taylor34:

Well, this is my logic. There are 50 million people in Korea. There are 1000 known infected, it's probably more than that, but let's just say 1000. That means that 1 in 50,000 has it there. There are still thousands per day flying out of South Korea it appears (hard to tell by flights online, but I would assume they are large planes crossing the pacific). That means there's a:
number of people flying per day / 50,000 = chance of infected person on a plane.
So if there's 4000 per day, there's an 8% chance every day (and growing higher) that a flight leaving Korea has an infection on it. Probably infecting others as well on that plane.
Steps that should be taken in order to slow down the spread are not being taken, like grounding all flights from there and Italy. So I can only see downside risk from here.
Now if steps were being taken to reduce risk, then I would agree with you. Longer term everything will recover. But next 6+ months, I can't see the upside...first quarter and second quarter earnings are going to be lackluster, supply chain is still weak, really high debt with some companies, etc.
Companies with lots of debt are going to have major issues if this drags out.
My logic could be totally wrong though. These are just my rough calculations.

And what I thought should have been done that hadn't:

Quoted from taylor34:

I think the problem is the uncertainty. Stock market likes clarity. You have two spectrums here. We could somehow miraculously make it through with no disruptions or find a cure super quickly and this blows over in a few months. Then you have the opposite where schools/businesses are closed for a long period of time, like no MLB, no NFL, restaurants almost vacant, etc...would really take a toll on the economy.
It'll probably be somewhere in the middle. But until we know for certain, I would guess that we're going to get a lot of drastic moves. The problem is that we're not making the simple moves to reduce immediate risk, like closing flights to Korea or Italy...that's going to bite us here eventually I would guess.
In my opinion, what should have happened is immediate closing of borders for travel, and setup a fund to support affected airlines. Keep the virus from ever getting here at all costs. While painful, that is much better than any of the alternatives. Stock market would not be dropping like it is now if we would have closed the borders...it would have taken a hit, but not a 'fear based' rout.

#1044 4 years ago

There it is, the dumbest thing I'll see all year.

Quoted from wolfemaaan:The damage from shutting down the entire US will far outweighs 200 deaths let alone 2000

#1045 4 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

There it is, the dumbest thing I'll see all year.

You clearly haven’t seen the rest of his posts.

#1046 4 years ago

I got out today to go get some food and the grocery stores and Wal Mart was packed. I went to CVS and people just seem to act like nothing is happening.......kinda weird.

I am noticing much less traffic on the roads In general but like I said the stores arent slowing down any. My future grocery trips will be online orders only. I dont want to go around people unless I a absolutely have to. I'm probably not going to be able to keep from getting it considering I work around a couple nasty MF's but I'm going to do my part and try to stay safe.

#1047 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

OK, this increases the chances of being infected, but should not affect the death rate (?)

#1048 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

You clearly haven’t seen the rest of his posts.

Lol that's funny

#1049 4 years ago

100s of cars, bumper-to-bumper, lined the entrance to Joshua Tree Park today. Apparently this is everyone's idea of shelter in, right?
In San Jose, the police has to get involved, just 3 days in, because, once again, we can't get it right.

I have really struggled to accept our ways, especially in the last 3 years, but this is the last straw for me.

We're too selfish and too stupid to have the freedoms we have in America. Great ideas on paper - just like communism - but not when the average person makes such poor decisions. Which do impact everyone else.

I am sad and ashamed that we ended up here and that there are countries who continue to look up to us. Please, learn from our mistakes!

#1050 4 years ago

Anyone else remember the mouth watering smell that KFCs in the 80s and 90s emitted? I would be riding my bike as a kid and 2 to 3 blocks away you'd start to smell that smell. Damn you better exhaust/squirrel fans:/

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/21?hl=gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.