272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 218 of 576.
#10851 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

What about the people who have had good health care and have still died ,Blitz is right it is 50 /50 if you survive or not

That’s not how statistics work. Just because a chance of something happening is not zero doesn’t mean it’s 50/50.

#10852 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's all empty theatrics just like everything else...you can put together as many pointless Zoom conferences as you want with business leaders / sports owners etc. It won't result in anything besides showy "Federal guidelines" nobody needs to follow.
No one person will be "opening the economy" or "opening sports." That's going to be up to individual states.

Lets hypothetically say: May 1, everything is back open. 100%. Who amongst us is ending the stay at home guidelines and going back to life as usual?

#10853 4 years ago

I’m listening to NY governor Andrew Cuomo speak.

It is refreshing to hear a politician speak with clarity with no BS

#10854 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Lets hypothetically say: May 1, everything is back open. 100%. Who amongst us is ending the stay at home guidelines and going back to life as usual?

First I can’t see any way we are 100% open May 1st but you ask a good question.

I honestly think this pandemic will change life in America for the next 10-15 years. I remember seeing photos of people in Japan and other parts of Asia wearing face masks all the time in public. I used to think that was odd, now not so much. My guess is that we will be masking in public for the next year or so until there is a vaccine. Even after that I’m sure there will be people who continue to mask to try and prevent usual illnesses. Fashion masks will start to be produced. I think international travel will take a hit over the next few years. I think spending habits will change as a results of the recession this will cause.

Some people will throw caution to the wind once the government relaxes restrictions but I think most people will be cautious and rightfully so.

#10855 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No one person will be "opening the economy" or "opening sports."

Exactly, plus I think I'm going to listen to the doctors before the "economic advisors." What kind of advice are they going to provide?

"When should we start sports?"
"OMG yesterday!!"

#10856 4 years ago

The confusion this little bug is creating!
In Australia it is starting to be a meh issue?

#10857 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I have learned to like store brand unfrosted pop-tarts.

Unfrosted?? I bet they taste like cardboard

#10858 4 years ago
Screenshot_20200416-111120~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200416-111120~2 (resized).png
#10859 4 years ago

That is why a lot of the protests in the last few days by small business people not being allowed to reopen is kind of pointless. They are worried about losing their business to bankruptcy but most are not going to do well if we snap our fingers and suddenly let them reopen them anyway. As long as the fear/worry is there, very few people are going to go buy windows and doors or flooring from a small business, go to restaurants, use travel agencies, use salons, barbers, physical therapists, dentists, chiropractors, taxis etc.

I personally have one family member that owns a high end salon and another that is a full-time stylist for a major salon chain, as well as a family friend that owns a high end salon. None of them are working and they all understand if they reopen it will not magically fix things or even make a difference to their present financial situation.

#10860 4 years ago

2. Masks are useless, but maybe you have to wear one, it can save you, it is useless, but maybe it is mandatory as well.

Screen shot from a live 'update' in Houston. Masks are optional I guess.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#10861 4 years ago
FE30601E-5F1A-4402-961A-B2F0EE16AB57 (resized).jpegFE30601E-5F1A-4402-961A-B2F0EE16AB57 (resized).jpeg
#10862 4 years ago

Levi was right...this thread is a total cesspool. “Continued antagonism, political postings, and inflammatory postings” all have unfortunately returned. The value of this thread at this point is marginal at best. Everyone be safe, stay healthy, and keep flipping...

#10863 4 years ago

The protest at the Michigan capital yesterday was half a protest against the Governor's stay-at-home orders and half a gun-toting Trump rally. It's one thing to rally due to worry about lack of supplies needed to live or unemployment concerns. It's quite another to turn it into a political rally about rights and liberties. There were plenty of flags and signs stating "Live Free of Die" and "Liberty or Death." Yet, it was apparently lost on those individuals that they were freely living and exercising their right to demonstrate on capital grounds and exercising maximum liberty. There was no one treading on their rights.

Do I wish I could go get grass seed? Sure. Hit a golf ball around with my buddies and drink Oberon? Absolutely. Am I worried that that these orders are somehow leading to some type of dystopian society? Uhhh, no.

I have a lot of empathy for those that have been furloughed and/or have to file for unemployment. However, this is is all one huge "best guess" situation at the moment. Leaders in government, science, and the medical field are all kind of feeling there way in the dark. The main gripe I have is that once again we are a reactive nation to something we should have seen coming a long time ago. There would have been protocols in place years ago for a pandemic like this. To me, that's the real shameful part.

#10864 4 years ago

Anyone has Bruce "F3@*ng" Willes on speeddail?

armageddon_2 (resized).jpgarmageddon_2 (resized).jpg
#10865 4 years ago
Quoted from sven:

I agree: I'd think that would scare the shit out of normal human beings. I'm so glad that isn't allowed here in The Netherlands (or elsewhere in the EU).

Pretty certain George Washington and his men looked scary creeping up on the Redcoats in a boat.
Guys like this may look scary, but rarely commit crime. Its the punks with a rusty 25 that cause the trouble.

#10866 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

That’s not how statistics work. Just because a chance of something happening is not zero doesn’t mean it’s 50/50.

Screenshot_20200416-114037~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200416-114037~2 (resized).png
#10867 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Maybe they think you can shoot the virus . At least one of them has a face covering and gloves on . I can't think of any country where that would be allowed except third world , war torn countries .

Masks and face coverings are mandatory now due to covid, gloves are recommended.

#10868 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's all empty theatrics just like everything else...you can put together as many pointless Zoom conferences as you want with business leaders / sports owners etc. It won't result in anything besides showy "Federal guidelines" nobody needs to follow.

No one person will be "opening the economy" or "opening sports." That's going to be up to individual states.

Agree. I was just pointing out why he was invited.

Somebody mentioned it before.

Mayors, Governors, and then federal level should be the hierarchy on making the decisions in most instances of opening things back up. The more localized the decisions, the better the decisions. Have state and federal guidelines, but keep things localized.

#10869 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Fuck I'm glad we don't have to deal with snow , I don't know how you guys do it .

It can be a vicious 4 season cycle , thats for sure...

#10870 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It is refreshing to hear a politician speak with clarity with no BS

And not arguing and talking down to the reporters.

#10871 4 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

You definately have to put them ( plain) in the toaster. I can eat frosted either way.

#10872 4 years ago

I appreciate you filling in for me. I have started reading this thread less and less, although JodyG's sense of humor is cracking me up.

The 50/50 situation reminds me of people that think that a clearly biased coin spin is a 50/50 situation just because there are two sides to a coin. Some pennies, particularly those that are older, are very biased towards tails, up to 90% in some years. They can be a great way to win a bar bet.

#10873 4 years ago

What year penny comes up tails 90% of the time?

#10874 4 years ago

Today’s chemistry class with dad. Cinnamon rolls 101

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#10875 4 years ago

Can we all agree that he is the ultimate optimist?

Not me

#10876 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

[quoted image]

Beautiful. Nature is returning.

#10877 4 years ago

guy: "Buy this used car and I swear it will never break down on you! It's got great bones, and I swear there's only minimal sand in the motor!"

me: "wow, I like this guy, he's the ultimate optimist"

#10878 4 years ago
Quoted from toastbot:

I think this is a reference to spinning a penny on the table, not flipping it.

#10879 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Screen shot from a live 'update' in Houston. Masks are optional I guess.[quoted image]

Lina...”Bless her heart”....and I mean that in the most southern of meanings.

#10880 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:I appreciate you filling in for me. I have started reading this thread less and less, although JodyG's sense of humor is cracking me up.
The 50/50 situation reminds me of people that think that a clearly biased coin spin is a 50/50 situation just because there are two sides to a coin. Some pennies, particularly those that are older, are very biased towards tails, up to 90% in some years. They can be a great way to win a bar bet.

Good explanation. I’ve met many patients who have trouble understanding how a mortality rate applies to them. Obviously you can’t be 5% dead. You either are or you aren’t.

So, an individual persons outcome is binary. However, that doesn’t mean their chance of death is 50/50.

#10881 4 years ago

and I mean that in the most southern of meanings.

#10882 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Today’s chemistry class with dad. Cinnamon rolls 101

Viscosity discussion?

#10883 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Screen shot from a live 'update' in Houston. Masks are optional I guess.[quoted image]

Sign language interpreters often also mouth the words they are signing for those who read lips. My guess is that’s why he isn’t masked.

#10884 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Masks and face coverings are mandatory now due to covid, gloves are recommended.

This is the look I’m gonna be going for with my face covering. What’s yours?

The sun is shining....

A8F6791A-1B04-454C-AAEF-063316348A3E (resized).jpegA8F6791A-1B04-454C-AAEF-063316348A3E (resized).jpeg
#10885 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Viscosity discussion?

She’s 9 and thinks I’m ridiculous whenever I talk about science, but she does absorb the concepts and seems to enjoy the experimenting. I always act like I don’t know what going to happen when you mix the baking soda and vinegar. So she feels like she’s leading the show, although I’m the mastermind behind the scenes. It’s fun watching her explain it to my wife what happened, like we were the first to discover yeast or something.

#10886 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Maybe it’s a Canadian thing, or a community thing, but I don’t see how a gun would help me or my neighbors in a disaster. I don’t fear people around me, and will help them out best I can. I’m not on my own, I know my neighbors.

Do only your neighbors ever come to your area?

The problem is the scenario where law enforcement is only reactive - or simply not able to respond at all. Desperate people do desperate things... and when there is no fear of law enforcement intervention, the threshold of what people are willing to do increases.

Simple example... rioting... or looting. Those things happen because of the intersection of falling consequences and desperation/opportunity

#10887 4 years ago

I honestly think this pandemic will change life in America for the next 10-15 years. I remember seeing photos of people in Japan and other parts of Asia wearing face masks all the time in public. I used to think that was odd, now not so much. My guess is that we will be masking in public for the next year or so until there is a vaccine. Even after that I’m sure there will be people who continue to mask to try and prevent usual illnesses. Fashion masks will start to be produced. I think international travel will take a hit over the next few years. I think spending habits will change as a results of the recession this will cause.
Some people will throw caution to the wind once the government relaxes restrictions but I think most people will be cautious and rightfully so.

We all gonna be singing this song for many, many moons.

39302688-5EEA-40D7-87C3-794392165E9D (resized).png39302688-5EEA-40D7-87C3-794392165E9D (resized).png
#10888 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

I’m glad I don’t have any debt. Apparently there is a loophole in the the stimulus plan where creditors can seize the money.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5136596002

tax refunds wouldn't have been exempt before. So I think this is more theoretical than practice. They would have had that problem with their refund in prior years too (assuming they don't owe). Those that are getting paper checks probably would cash and be aware of this anyways.

I think the concern is meritus... I just don't think people are likely getting burned by it.

#10889 4 years ago

I have to say a great deal more of us would be effed if this happens in the US:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/15/834969353/amazon-to-temporarily-stop-deliveries-in-france-following-court-ruling

If you can't reasonably redesign an entire pre-covid physical plant and logistics operation to ensure social distancing and safety (see also: manufacturing, meat packing, etc) you shut down rather than risk the ire of lawyers.

But this is Amazon: the only game in left in town for most people, so they're getting all consumer spending by default. Amazon doesn't turn down money, and this doesn't seem like their normal "eff the workers" M.O. I mean it *could* be a strong-arm tactic... but here in the US, Amazon is hiring tens of thousands more employees AND halting its own delivery operation in order to meet the surge in demand (it's been said "every day is Black Friday" since Covid shutdowns began). And yet the same - legitimate - workers' concerns are simultaneously being voiced.

So where is the middle ground? Better find it before we discover what happens when compliance and erring on the side of caution shuts down the lifelines people depend on because everything ELSE is shut down...

#10890 4 years ago

The PGA Tour announced today they plan to resume play (minus fans) on June 11th.

#10891 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

tax refunds wouldn't have been exempt before. So I think this is more theoretical than practice. They would have had that problem with their refund in prior years too (assuming they don't owe). Those that are getting paper checks probably would cash and be aware of this anyways.
I think the concern is meritus... I just don't think people are likely getting burned by it.

I don’t really see creditors going after people for the debt through the stimulus check but maybe states will go after the money for backed child support.

#10892 4 years ago

This is the look I’m gonna be going for with my face covering. What’s yours?
The sun is shining....[quoted image]

But the ice is slippery.

20200209_160727 (resized).jpg20200209_160727 (resized).jpg
#10893 4 years ago

Wisconsin just extended safer at home and now schools are closed for the rest of the school year.

They did lift some delivery restrictions though... Maybe I can get my MM Royal delivered now?

Golf is now okay too. It's been a couple decades since I played though.

#10895 4 years ago
Quoted from happyhour1973:

The protest at the Michigan capital yesterday was half a protest against the Governor's stay-at-home orders and half a gun-toting Trump rally. It's one thing to rally due to worry about lack of supplies needed to live or unemployment concerns. It's quite another to turn it into a political rally about rights and liberties. There were plenty of flags and signs stating "Live Free of Die" and "Liberty or Death." Yet, it was apparently lost on those individuals that they were freely living and exercising their right to demonstrate on capital grounds and exercising maximum liberty. There was no one treading on their rights.
Do I wish I could go get grass seed? Sure. Hit a golf ball around with my buddies and drink Oberon? .......

"Live Free or Die" = Live Free AND Die
"Liberty or Death" = Liberty and spreading Death

Last week I heard a guy on the radio complaining that he could not go out and play golf because the Govenor closed all the golf courses. He also said he was LAID OFF. I wonder how he plans to pay his bills, buy food, when he spends his unemployment check on green fees and cart rental.

#10896 4 years ago
Quoted from toastbot:

I have some 1962D pennies that do it. Remember, this is a spin, not a flip. You also want a high speed spin that is not affected by hitting something. Let gravity and friction run their course.

I believe pennies made between 1959 and 1962 have that property as the heads side protrudes more than normal, shifting the center of gravity.

#10897 4 years ago

Don’t know if this has been covered but more stimulus money may be coming...$2000 a month +$500/per child for 6 months for some.

https://www.businessinsider.com/americans-would-receive-2000-a-month-under-house-democrats-plan-2020-4?amp

#10898 4 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

No, no, I don't eat them, I use them for toilet paper.

Sorry for the confusion.

#10899 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

Don’t know if this has been covered but more stimulus money may be coming...$2000 a month +$500/per child for 6 months for some.
https://www.businessinsider.com/americans-would-receive-2000-a-month-under-house-democrats-plan-2020-4?amp

This will end well.....

0384CC6E-9C0D-4AE3-9B8D-73F200452C92 (resized).jpeg0384CC6E-9C0D-4AE3-9B8D-73F200452C92 (resized).jpeg
#10900 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

But the ice is slippery.[quoted image]

I do believe you need the alternate translite for that Shadow.

And what we learned yesterday is don't go to Smart and Final or any market around noon when it is full of people and it is an hour long line to get out of there.

Wait until 2:00 or 3:00 after all the human robots have gone home.
bdfb44b63a59836e93411c1033743f46a5b35112 (resized).jpgbdfb44b63a59836e93411c1033743f46a5b35112 (resized).jpg

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 218 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/218 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.